• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

antti-la

Doesn't that introduce artifacts or is it dependent on your TV? I know my TV does (Sony w900a) and that, coupled with input lag makes it a pretty terrible setting to have enabled IMO.

It depends much on the algorithm used on the particular TV. But yes, you might see small artifacts every now and then. However if the setting would get optimized for game usage I think it would yield much better results (as they do on Morpheus to go from 60->120fps). On my Samsung F6400 the artifacts are pretty rare and I can live with them, if that gets me the smooth 60fps.

Dries

Is there actually a big difference as to how G-sync perfoms in the 30fps - 45 fps range than say in the range of 60fps- 75fps range? Quality-wise, I'm speaking.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there actually a big difference as to how G-sync perfoms in the 30fps - 45 fps range than say in the range of 60fps- 75fps range? Quality-wise, I'm speaking.

Yes. Below 40ish FPS it's a lot more noticeable when games dip and you get that sort of judder.

I mean, 60-75 FPS you're really just preventing screen tearing at that point since there's not a lot of difference between 60 and 70 FPS for most people.

riflen

At 30-45 fps, the panel will refresh at 30-45 Hz, which is really low. You will probably observe flickering as the display updates at these low rates.

Below 30 fps, the G-Sync module uses a trick to avoid the refresh rate falling even further; it repeats frames. At 29 fps, the display is actually refreshing at 58 Hz, with doubled frames. This helps create a smoother appearance, but adds latency and will make controls feel laggy. Basically, you don't want to be beneath 40 fps at all, but if the drops are momentary, the experience is much better than with a standard fixed-rate display and VSync.

Vuze

I was thinking about getting a G-Sync monitor for my birthday since my current 1080p TN is aging but damn, those things are scarce goods, eh? Couldn't find a single shop that has the 1440p IPS Acer display I was looking for (in Germany, that is)

Dries

At 30-45 fps, the panel will refresh at 30-45 Hz, which is really low. You will probably observe flickering as the display updates at these low rates.

Hmm... this is the fps range I usually aim for. I guess we'll see then.

robatw

I am considering buying the Acer Predator XB270HAbprz. Do you think 1080p is high enough for 27inches? Or should i buy the 24 inch version?

Why would you observe flicker on a LCD without strobing? It's sample and hold.

Due to crystals behaviour - if you don't apply voltage then they flex over time and start leaking light which causes changes in brightness level of screen.

It starts to be visible at 30 Hz range.

Acer XB270HU starts duplicating frames at 36 Hz to avoid it completly.

riflen

Why would you observe flicker on a LCD without strobing? It's sample and hold.

The back light isn't strobing, no. I don't mean that kind of flickering. More like a shimmer that can be apparent on objects in motion. Generally, the tech works extremely well and Nvidia have improved behaviour at 30 Hz since I first got this display.

I am considering buying the Acer Predator XB270HAbprz. Do you think 1080p is high enough for 27inches? Or should i buy the 24 inch version?

I once tried a 25" 1080p monitor, and I thought that was too large for the resolution. I felt as though games didn't look as good as they did on my 23" 1080p monitor. I eventually returned it and decided to buy a 27" 2560x1440 monitor. Soooooooooooo much better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still prefer a dedicated SSD in a powerful PC, makes it so much better.

Anyone dedicated to their hobby enough to drop money on a G-Sync monitor will probably already have an SSD in their system.

ekim

I just ordered a G-Sync monitor. Should I always set the monitor to the Hz value the game approximately refreshes in? If I set the monitor to 60hz, will G-Sync limit the FPS to 60 in that case, even I would get more FPS in theory? And when to use ULMB instead of G-Sync?

Shoe786

I just ordered a G-Sync monitor. Should I always set the monitor to the Hz value the game approximately refreshes in? If I set the monitor to 60hz, will G-Sync limit the FPS to 60 in that case, even I would get more FPS in theory? And when to use ULMB instead of G-Sync?

You don't need to adjust your refresh rate at all, you can just leave it at max as long as you're running G-Sync. If the monitor is set to 60hz, the maximum FPS that the monitor will be able to produce is 60FPS even if your rig is producing more. To get More FPS you would need a monitor that is set to a refresh rate that is greater than 60hz.

G-sync's main advantage is eliminating screen tearing when your rig is rendering at a different rate from your monitor's refresh rate. So you should use ULMB instead of GSync when either:

1) you are confident that your rig can render a game at steady FPS that matches the refresh rate of your monitor

or

2) you'd rather have reduced motion blur at the cost of screen tearing.

I've been using the Acer XB270H (1080p, 144hz) for about a day and from this moment forth I will refer to my gaming life before high-framerate G-Sync as "the dark times." It's so fucking good. The hype is real. You couldn't pay me to go back.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Every time I enter this thread and see a new person love their new monitor it makes me a little but happy. Welcome to the club, people!

The point of G-Sync is that you don't need to mess with limiting framerates.

The only times I will touch refresh rate now are:
When switching down to 120hz to enable ULMB

Actually that's it. For everything else, just enjoy. If it limits FPS, that's fine. Doesn't make a difference.

baphomet

I've been using the Acer XB270H (1080p, 144hz) for about a day and from this moment forth I will refer to my gaming life before high-framerate G-Sync as "the dark times." It's so fucking good. The hype is real. You couldn't pay me to go back.

I've had mine for a few days now, and all I can say is goddamn! It really is as awesome as you hope it will be. Nothing does it justice until you actually get to mess with it in person though.

Using G-Sync to get by with lower framerates is a bad idea. 40fps may look smooth-ish with a variable sync but you're dropping to ridiculously low resolutions when in motion due to all the motion blur. It's quite typical for a 1080p LCD panel to drop to sub 300 lines in motion at 60Hz. I reckon you'd be doing well to see 400 lines in motion at 1440p40.

Using G-Sync to get by with lower framerates is a bad idea. 40fps may look smooth-ish with a variable sync but you're dropping to ridiculously low resolutions when in motion due to all the motion blur. It's quite typical for a 1080p LCD panel to drop to sub 300 lines in motion at 60Hz. I reckon you'd be doing well to see 400 lines in motion at 1440p40.

... wat?

The motion blur inherent in the way LCDs display their image creates an effective loss in resolution any time things are in motion. The blur gets worse the lower the refresh rate.

motion_blur_from_persistence.png

Angel_DvA

Is there a way to add a console on it ( i know the technology won't work on it though ) because I want to make it my gaming monitor overall ( for PC and consoles and leave my tv to the girl ), it doesn't seems to have HDMI ports.

Edit: it seems like the BenQ XL2420G has HDMI ports, anyone use it or know a Gsync monitor that has HDMI port too ?

Haroon

I recently bought BenQ XL2420G because my current setup (5830k, 770) could not run The Witcher 3 in Ultra/High settings with 60fps. I think that Gsync is one of the best upgrades you could have for your computer. Witcher 3 is still the same fps, but due to gsync, it feels super smooth. I highly recommend a gsync monitor.

If anyone has a display with switchable strobing. Run the following test while turning strobing off/on. On my panel, 720p strobed looks *far* more detailed in motion than 1080p non-strobed. I'm struggling to believe anyone could witness that kind of drop-off in resolution, and still favour G-Sync.

www.testufo.com/eyetracking

I recently bought BenQ XL2420G because my current setup (5830k, 770) could not run The Witcher 3 in Ultra/High settings with 60fps. I think that Gsync is one of the best upgrades you could have for your computer. Witcher 3 is still the same fps, but due to gsync, it feels super smooth. I highly recommend a gsync monitor.

That's why I'm just waiting for that 4K 60Hz IPS one from ASUS. 4K is a killer, but with a powerful rig and g-sync it's going to be perfectly alright, and look beautiful at the same time :)

pa22word

Can anyone tell me whether or not regular gsync works with UNLB? On the my modded version it doesn't, and I know the modded Asus version can't do some of the things retail gsync panels can, so i thought I'd ask.

Corpekata

Banned
Can anyone tell me whether or not regular gsync works with UNLB? On the my modded version it doesn't, and I know the modded Asus version can't do some of the things retail gsync panels can, so i thought I'd ask.

ULMB and Gsync do not mix on any monitors. At least not yet. I think there's been mutterings about plans but don't know how realistic of a goal that is.

Evo X

does G-Sync now work below 30fps or is there still a 30fps bottom limit for it to function well?

Thanks!

It's always worked below 30fps. It just doubles the refresh rate at that point. For example, if your frames drop to 26fps, GSYNC will run that at 52hz.

Vuze

While we're at it, how do 30fps locked games feel with Gsync?
Mostly thinking about Toukiden right now, it really feels a bit sluggish on my current 1920x1080 60Hz generic display w/ Vsync.
You can't unlock the framerate either since the game will just run at i.e. double speed at 60fps.
Just curious if Gsync will make "PC 30fps" feel more like "console 30fps".

riflen

While we're at it, how do 30fps locked games feel with Gsync?
Mostly thinking about Toukiden right now, it really feels a bit sluggish on my current 1920x1080 60Hz generic display w/ Vsync.
You can't unlock the framerate either since the game will just run at i.e. double speed at 60fps.
Just curious if Gsync will make "PC 30fps" feel more like "console 30fps".

Depends on the game. 30fps on a mouse feels like shite whatever the display. If you're using analogue thumbsticks, it feels OK I guess.
30fps is a funny number with GSync. You might be better off capping at 29fps, which duplicates each frame and refreshes the panel at 58Hz, similar to a console game at 30fps on a 60Hz panel.

I've only had a G-sync monitor for about a week or so, and only put a few hours into testing games. I was actually pretty disappointed at first because I still noticed some massive stuttering/input lag in games.

Then I realized that G-sync "disappears" randomly. As in my monitor menu no longer shows it in G-sync mode, and the options aren't even available in the Nvidia control panel.

My ACER XB270HU has a power rocker switch (in addition to the basic power button upfront) on the back near the power plug, and toggling that seems to fix it. .

Anyone else have this issue, with G-sync just...stopping on its own? I'd really rather not RMA this thing unless I know it's my monitor and not some software related issue. It's pixel perfect and I had already RMA'd one for finding a dead pixel, and ANOTHER before that because half the screen went to shit (vertical lines and weird color distortion) after the first hour of use.

yatesl

I've not read the topic, so sorry if this has been asked, but I always thought that G-Sync gets rid of screen tearing - of which I never get on my PC games

Does it reduce the "judder" of dropping from 90fps to 50fps, for example, so it's harder to notice? I bought a 144 monitor last year but most AAA games get ~80 - 100fps on my 970 (with high/max settings)

riflen

I've only had a G-sync monitor for about a week or so, and only put a few hours into testing games. I was actually pretty disappointed at first because I still noticed some massive stuttering/input lag in games.

Then I realized that G-sync "disappears" randomly. As in my monitor menu no longer shows it in G-sync mode, and the options aren't even available in the Nvidia control panel.

My ACER XB270HU has a power rocker switch (in addition to the basic power button upfront) on the back near the power plug, and toggling that seems to fix it. .

Anyone else have this issue, with G-sync just...stopping on its own? I'd really rather not RMA this thing unless I know it's my monitor and not some software related issue. It's pixel perfect and I had already RMA'd one for finding a dead pixel, and ANOTHER before that because half the screen went to shit (vertical lines and weird color distortion) after the first hour of use.

Try an alternative display port cable and make sure your drivers are up to date.

I've not read the topic, so sorry if this has been asked, but I always thought that G-Sync gets rid of screen tearing - of which I never get on my PC games

Does it reduce the "judder" of dropping from 90fps to 50fps, for example, so it's harder to notice? I bought a 144 monitor last year but most AAA games get ~80 - 100fps on my 970 (with high/max settings)

There is no judder when frame rate varies in the range you mention. It's quite literally one of the problems the technology solves.

Well, normally you use V-Sync or something, which takes care of screen tearing but locks your framerate to 30 or 60 because of your refresh rates, which creates a sudden judder when the framerate gets lower. And you have trouble with stuttering when the framerate does not correspond with the refresh rate of your monitor.

A drop of 40 FPS would still create judder, if you are talking about a massive framedrop, it is just that you have more freedom sitting in the framerates between your monitors refresh rate. If you are talking about stuttering when you run games at 50 FPS, yes, it solves that.

Dries

Is there anyone else who also has problems trying to run G-sync with Wolfenstein: The New Order? For me, it totally seems like G-sync simply does not work in this game..

riflen

Is there anyone else who also has problems trying to run G-sync with Wolfenstein: The New Order? For me, it totally seems like G-sync simply does not work in this game..

Do you have two GPUs? You must disable one for G-Sync to work with that game.

I don't have Wolfenstein but I have come across other games where gsync just does not work. Gsync definitely doesn't work with every single game out there, which is a shame.

Vash63

Make sure it's set to fullscreen and not borderless window.

The_Poet

Banned
Yep, my XB270HU is like the best upgrade ever. I can't believe what I'm seeing.

So I just got an XB27OHU

There is no going back to non variable refresh rate monitors for gaming.

I've seen the light.

Do any of you play FPS games like cs:go?

How does the acer perform in those? Is the 5ms response time limiting at all?

lazygecko

I would like to get one of these monitors, but I'm only seeing 27" recommendations so far. I'm not even sure if I can fit one of those on my desk since a shelf is limiting the heigth. Are there no solid 24" options?

Vuze

I would like to get one of these monitors, but I'm only seeing 27" recommendations so far. I'm not even sure if I can fit one of those on my desk since a shelf is limiting the heigth. Are there no solid 24" options?
The Acer Predator XB240HA and BenQ XL2420G are the only ones I can think of. Both are 1080p though (I don't think 1440p would make sense/be comfortable at that size anyway).

Top Bottom