• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

g-sync v 144hz help me

so pay day is near which means spending all my money in the first weekend.

out of the choice of the 2, what is the bigger upgrade? have 1060 gpu so expecting to be able to get some decent frames.

what would you go for? what monitors did your mum proud?

scoobs

Why not both? Money a concern?

If you play a lot of fast paced shooters or mobas I'd go with 144hz over gsync.

Go both and get a Dell S2716DG. If you can time it right, they range between $400-$500 new, less if you're willing to take a chance on refurb or used.

105.Will

I love my g sync monitor. 144hz is great for competitive games, and is nice to look at, but unless your always going to be pushing those higher frame rates, I'd say g-sync

Dylan

I'm in pretty much the exact boat as the OP. Just bought a 1060 laptop and Iooking for the best external monitor for the buck (Currently gaming at 1680 x 1050 like a boss)

144Hz/GSync/1080p/22-24" is my ideal. I'm currently waiting for prices to become competitive, which I don't really expect to happen until November 2017.

I have the ROG Swift (144hz and gsync) and I honest to God cannot tell a difference once the framerate goes north of about 75. Even framerates south of 60 look fine if gsync is on.

Turning gsync off is headache-inducing, now, though. I'm spoiled.

G-sync for sure.

epmode

Get both if possible. If it's not, I'd go with G-Sync over 144hz. High framerates are great but you won't be hitting them in graphicsy modern games while G-Sync solves so many minor to major irritations with almost all PC games.

I'f you're going to pay the G-sync premium you should go for 144hz. The price difference won't be that much once you get that high up.

G-sync is at its best (imo) when you can just unlock the framerate and let it go as high as it can.

tesqui

I play CSGO and 144hz is an incredible leap in smoothness that is apparent from the get go. I don't have Gsync, but the Freesync monitor I have wasn't as big of a deal to me. Yeah, those vertical lines are gone, but I also didn't really care about them that much to begin with. I think it's more of a thing you don't appreciate until you switch it off.

Stoze

It depends. If you mostly play demanding games and tinkering around with framerate caps and v-sync really bugs you, then probably g-sync. Otherwise 144hz by a landslide.

I've got a Dell S2716DG and there's been times where g-sync wasn't working with a game and I didn't even realize it. 144hz is also very apparent outside of games as well, just moving around on your desktop and in browser is noticeably way smoother and more responsive than 60 or even 90hz.

But I'd also say if you're already looking at a 90hz g-sync/freesync or 120hz g-sync, I'd go with those over just 144. Going from 60-90hz is the big leap, whereas 120-144 is tricky to see.

Rizific

Between the two, 144hz without a doubt. Provided you have the hardware to push past 60. 90fps+ is about where I stop being able to tell the difference in smoothness.

so pay day is near which means spending all my money in the first weekend.

out of the choice of the 2, what is the bigger upgrade? have 1060 gpu so expecting to be able to get some decent frames.

what would you go for? what monitors did your mum proud?

144hz blows Gsync away. To be honest, when you are running over 100fps, or have a 144hz monitor, I find that's it's far less likely you will ever notice tearing.

I should say though, while the 1060 is a great card, you may have trouble hitting over 100fps at 1080p on most AAA titles unless you dial back the settings. Also, if you are CPU limited, as in, if you have an older AMD CPU, or anything less than an i7-4790 CPU, you may also have trouble reaching over 100fps due to CPU bottlenecking.

On a 1060 you wont be playing many games above 60 fps anyway so go with gsync. You need a top end gpu and a top end intel cpu to take advantage of high refresh rates in modern games

Does V-Sync still introduce latency when it's in combination with G-Sync?

Yes. If you hit the refresh rate cap when using gsync input lag is introduced. Cap the fps 1 frame lower than refresh rate cap in the application. Capping it in a 3rd party application also introduces input lag

Compsiox

Banned
Yes. If you hit the refresh rate cap when using gsync input lag is introduced. Cap the fps 1 frame lower than refresh rate cap in the application. Capping it in a 3rd party application also introduces input lag

Riva Tuner seemed to work better.

What do you recommend?

Blu(e)

That Dell Monitor is super close to my perfect monitor but I don't think it can do portrait mode. ROG Swift is the closest thing but it's like $200 more (considering how often Dell puts it on sale).

Arulan

35523f43ff4fd7566c3632e88424e221.png

Source

Mechazawa

Getting above 60hz should be your number one priority.

Gsync is nice, but higher refresh rates are the real god-level gaming upgrade.

Why not both?

I guess if I had to choose I would go Gsync. Depending on the resolution the 1060 may have a little harder time pushing 144hz consistently.

But again they are like peanut butter and jelly. They go best together.

I have an ROG switch pg279q and I would never go back. Yeah it was 700 bucks on sale but after going cheap on monitors I came to realize that it is the thing you spent all your time looking at on that nice rig. May as well go big.

Stoze

Does V-Sync still introduce latency when it's in combination with G-Sync?

I believe so. I just boot up rtss with a 140 fps cap before gaming and I'm always good to go.

edit: as shown in that great picture posted only when it hits and passes 143/144 hz. I just always keep v-sync off though, I can't remember the last time I've seen a tear.

Tareskog

I bought the Acer Predator XB271HU, and I don't regret it one bit. I didn't think it would be such a huge deal going from a 60hz 1440p Asus monitor, but I'm glad I was wrong. Everything just feels way more smooth with higher frame rates on the games which I can run, and more demanding games like Witcher 3 still feels buttery smooth at ~40fps. I'd say if you can afford it, go for the combination of 144hz and gsync. If I'd have to choose between those two, I think I'd pick higher hz.

BraXzy

I'd say get both if you can. It depends on how much frame rate issues bother you though. I upgraded from bog standard 60hz to a 144hz G-Sync and I really feel it when it is disabled, even at a maxed out frame rate.

I'd say the jump to 144 is more important, but G-Sync is a nice compliment. G-Sync 60hz seems kind of pointless unless you're going for a 4K monitor or something.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Unless you're going to be exceeding 60fps by a wide margin 144hz isn't going to do you any good.

With a 1060 I don't see that happening unless you're mostly playing games like CS:GO or games that are a few years old. Certainly not in resolutions over 1080p.

Go G-sync for a great piece of tech, but realize you'll be further locked into the Nvidia "ecosystem."

Unless you're going to be exceeding 60fps by a wide margin 144hz isn't going to do you any good.

With a 1060 I don't see that happening unless you're mostly playing games like CS:GO or games that are a few years old. Certainly not in resolutions over 1080p.

Go G-sync for a great piece of tech, but realize you'll be further locked into the Nvidia "ecosystem."

with a 144hz monitor - would I not see a benefit if I'm frammages of 75+ for example?

I won't be upgrading GPU anytime soon - don't mind being locked in with Nvidia.

Prices aren't too unreasonable too.

Soodanim

with a 144hz monitor - would I not see a benefit if I'm frammages of 75+ for example?

I won't be upgrading GPU anytime soon - don't mind being locked in with Nvidia.

Prices aren't too unreasonable too.
Understand that as framerates increase, the time between them decreases. Diminishing returns. So it does get harder to look at something and say "That's 90, but that's 120fps", but there is a difference in overall smoothness and you'll notice it more in games with faster movement like open world driving or FPS (fast camera movement). I think I'd be okay with giving up 144hz for 100hz if I had to.

I can still notice tearing and especially stuttering at 144hz, made evident by Bioshock Infinite and Doom when my G-Sync setting turned off. The difference is night and day.

Chinbo37

I have 144 hz 1080p without gync. I love it. I don't play tons of new games so I mostly Max out fps anyways.

Also I didn't want to pay Nvidia for their closed environment BS. What if I want to change to AMD for my next card? I don't want to have to change monitors too...

That Dell Monitor is super close to my perfect monitor but I don't think it can do portrait mode. ROG Swift is the closest thing but it's like $200 more (considering how often Dell puts it on sale).
The Dell Monitor does do portrait mode. I have one (24 inch). Gsync and 144hz is amazing and it can be had for $400 or under consistently.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Gsync is great but at 144 hz the improvements over a monitor without Gsync are not that big and therefore not really worth the extra markup.

Therefor I suggest that you get a 144 hz monitor.

Jimrpg

With a 1060 - go the G-Sync. This will help smooth framerates when you dip below 60fps.

Only get a 144hz monitor, if you play FPS or racing and low system requirement games (ie older games) that allow you to get up to 100fps or higher.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I can only speak from personal experience here, and many will disagree. But I really dont
mind any frame rate greater than about 40. What I absolutely mind is inconsistent frame rates.

A 60fps title kills me when it jarrinly dips to even 50-55. Gsync solves this problem, making even my modded Fallout 4 appear to run smoothly. It's a god-tier upgrade and, kind of like VR, is very difficult to explain and needs to be experienced.

With a 1060, you won't be getting much more than 60fps if you're lucky with many new games and even some older ones.

Tl;dr - Yes Nvidia has some shitty business practices and it sucks to have to double down with any GPU maker, but Gsync works as advertised and, with your GPU OP, you'll be running in to frame rate issues sooner rather than later. Gsync will help with that, a 144hz monitor will likely only underscore the need to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Dio

Banned
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

I have this 1440p/g sync and absolutely love it. It can be had for under $500 pretty often. That said you might have trouble getting to 120fps+ with a 1060.

By the way:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-24-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5655614.p?skuId=5655614

The 24" version of that Dell 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor is still 1440p. That means you get really high DPI if you don't need a giant 27 inch monitor and sit pretty close to your computer.

I really love using retina displays on Macs so I'm planning on upgrading to this one, since I don't really need a 27" and that's a little too big for my living arrangement.

Right now it's on sale for 399 and you can pick it up in store.

Vipu

Banned
That is so bullshit and wrong info that 1060 cant run over 60fps what say here.
Yes you can if you turn down setting a bit, and its much more worth to lose a bit of some shadow resolutions etc than fps.

OP didn't tell what he plays and wants so its hard to say but I would go for 144hz if you cant have both.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

A 144hz monitor allows you to disable vsync without as much tearing. If you use ULMB you basically have CRT like motion quality as well.

Top Bottom