Gab going down and back up

Feb 2, 2017
Lol this stupid comparison holy crap.
If we go by hate twitter and facebook need to be shutdown right now cause you still have antifa on it, you have thousands of blue checkmark accounts preaching the murder of white people as daily routine and you still have borderline weekly isis promotion videos lol
Twitter, Facebook etc where not founded on the principle of hate and intolerance. GAB and DS where and still actively preach it. Social Platforms that purposely cultivate an environment that can lead people to become violent and radicalised need to be looked at especially when that level of hate is sowed into the fabric of the platform. That fits GAB and Dailystormer perfectly, unlike Twitter that takes action on accounts that post that type of content, you can report it and it will be removed if its obvious.

Jul 7, 2018
Twitter, Facebook etc where not founded on the principle of hate and intolerance. GAB and DS where and still actively preach it.
What absolute horse shit. Gab was not founded on "the principle of hate and intolerance". It was founded on the liberal principle of free speech, one of the cornerstones of democracy. Something the illiberal regressive left want to toss out of the window to protect the fee fees of groups that they pretend to care about on the internet.

Ah, this must be the "public expressing disagreement" that I've heard so much about, y'know, like when they mobbed elected officials during the Kavanaugh hearing and continue to express disagreement at them during dinners at restaurants.

Nothing of consequence. Just a bit of disagreement.
Yep, and look at the people in this thread who are mocking the guy for having his parents targetted by some nutjob. You only have to give the surface a little scratch to see the nastiness that lies underneath.

May 22, 2018
Why? So you can dismiss it anyway when i am right just exactly as you did with the twitter censorship you didn't believe and i showed you a video of jack literally admitting it on live tv only for you to then hand wave it away?
Okay so thats a no? I didn't think so.

I have never seen a blue checked account do what you are claiming.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2017
What absolute horse shit. Gab was not founded on "the principle of hate and intolerance". It was founded on the liberal principle of free speech, one of the cornerstones of democracy. Something the illiberal regressive left want to toss out of the window to protect the fee fees of groups that they pretend to care about on the internet.
You dont seriously believe that do you, GAB was not founded for everyone, it was born out of the mass expulsion of alt-right figures being banned on social platforms. That is why the main crux of their user base are alt-right , that is why within months of it being launched we all knew what GAB was going to be. I wonder what alt-right meme was used as their Logo, yes a fucking pepe the frog meme. So much for making a platform meant for everyone that you need to use a symbol that is synonymous with the Alt-right. Pretty much a majority of sites that covered GAB being opened all mention its true calling of an alt-right paradise. Take your pick .

Wired

On Gab at least, trying to remove the alt-righty vibes would require entering an enormous amount of keywords—there's just not much else there. That in itself would seem to run counter to Gab's own aims. For a group that's so outraged by the idea that their voices aren't being heard, they sure have created an insulated corner of the Internet for themselves.
BBC

It's become the go-to social network for an extreme group of activists who have been chucked off of Twitter. So is Gab.ai a free speech alternative or just an alt-right safe space?

Its top hashtags list is a conservative dream. It's peppered with trends like #Trump, #MAGA ("Make America Great Again" - Trump's campaign slogan) along with far-right obsessions like Dump Star Wars and the Pizzagate conspiracy hoax.

Guardian

The man who coined the term “alt-right” to describe his own ideology, Richard Spencer, had his personal account suspended from Twitter on Tuesday, along with that of his far-right thinktank, the National Policy Institute.

He joined Gab a month ago, but has begun posting regularly in the last 48 hours.

One of his posts yesterday read:

"My impression of Gab is that it’s a better platform than Twitter (in terms of software). Obviously, the big issue is the ‘network effect,’ so we’ll see what happens. I’m hopeful.”​
As of last night, he was listed as one of 10 “who to follow” accounts on Gab’s “popular” page, along with other alt-right luminaries – like longstanding rightwing noise machine Ann Coulter, and Paul Joseph Watson.
NYT

Think of Gab as the Make America Great Again of social sites: It’s a throwback to the freewheeling norms of the old internet, before Twitter started cracking down on harassment and Reddit cleaned out its darkest corners. And since its debut in August, it has emerged as a digital safe space for the far right, where white nationalists, conspiracy-theorist YouTubers, and minivan majority moms can gather without liberal interference.
Engadget

Last night, Twitter took the bold move of banning a number of white nationalist "alt-right" users on the same day it said it would finally start cracking down on hate speech. But where oh where will the trolls go? Once possible option is Gab, a relatively new social media site cut from similar cloth as Ello -- but even before yesterday's bans, it was already taking on a reputation as a haven for the alt-right. Now, it seems that those feeling alienated on Twitter may be flocking to Gab in a big way.
Stop fooling yourself into thinking its nothing other then a safe space for the alt-right

Jul 7, 2018
Of course I believe what I said. You're free to believe whatever sources confirm your own biases, while I'm free to make my own mind up.

Some people see Nazis everywhere. I mean, how many lefties have been banned from here for implying that GAF itself is some alt-right haven, just because it's no longer some SJW-ridden leftist shit hole?

Ke0

Aug 10, 2012
Reading, Berkshire
Terrorists used video game consoles to communicate under the radar. Would you have been happy if manufacturers were forced to remove all communication functionality from consoles because they were used as tools to facilitate evil acts?

Just as removing the second amendment shouldn't be the method by which you address gun violence, we shouldn't be throwing every communication tool into the trash because it can be used for evil. Target the individuals, spend some time actually addressing the issues that leads people to express such views, take a genuine interest in the problem rather than looking for quick fixes.

It's clear social media networks aren't doing enough, but the problem is one we're in a better position to address than the platform holders. Rather than pointing the finger and ignoring the crazies throw yourself into the conversation and see if you can do/say anything to improve the situation. I tried that over at the other place for a while, but those in power clearly didn't want me advocating for civility with conservatives.
Your comparison makes no sense. The terrorists didn't own PSN or XBL network/platforms. Nor did they own an platform on their networks.

And Sony and MS mass banned IP ranges, console MAC addresses and accounts that were connected and there was no opposition to this action from anyone about 2nd Amendment rights being taken away.

Apr 8, 2009
Oh you think I was talking about his sentence structure and not the reality distortion field convoluting his entire argument. You know, the argument that was proven false earlier in this thread. Oh... you scamp.
Yes, by "coherent sentences" I assumed you meant "coherent sentences." Silly me.

Gab was founded so some very cool people would have a place to rant about the Zionist occupied government and like topics after they got banned from Twitter. This isn't some obscure secret.

Mar 18, 2018
Yes, by "coherent sentences" I assumed you meant "coherent sentences." Silly me.

Gab was founded so some very cool people would have a place to rant about the Zionist occupied government and like topics after they got banned from Twitter. This isn't some obscure secret.
You are mistaken or a liar. I’ll let you decide which one you are.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Your comparison makes no sense. The terrorists didn't own PSN or XBL network/platforms. Nor did they own an platform on their networks.
I'm assuming you have a specific terrorist(s) in mind because I don't see how can you make such a claim. There's been no shortage of terrorists around the world since video game game consoles gained online connectivity. To say none of them used that connectivity to communicate would be presumptuous. I'm fairly certain there are still details about the Bin Laden case that were kept hidden from public disclosure for security reasons - you don't tell the word a terrorist is escaping detection by using X to do Y unless you have a fix already in place to prevent it from happening again.

I posted it in another thread because it was pertinent to the discussion, but Forbes wrote an article about Gab attempting to get around their deplatforming:
The Alt-Right’s Favorite Social Network Gab’s Plan To Use Blockchain To Make Itself Indestructible

Maybe Richard Hendricks will save us:

Apr 17, 2011
You can start your own platform...

...but we won't register your domain.
...we won't route to your IPs.
...we won't allow financial transactions to your sites.
...we won't host you.

Internet needs to be broken up like Ma Bell. Citizens paid for the roads upon which their trucks drive. We paid for the incentives and breaks that many of these companies received to lay cable. Companies do not have unilateral authority to decide how the internet gets used.
Comcast and att first. They can stop people from the very beginning duebto death of net neutrality. Its a lot easier for the isps to block this shit up front rather than each individual business.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Dec 4, 2004
Minnesota
You made an argument about conservatives being all or nothing types and here you are proposing an all or nothing solution: if a platform allows hateful views to spread it needs to be shut down. Do you believe Facebook and Twitter should be shut down?
Those sites have different bedrocks, and weren't expressly made to be a conduit for folks to spew hatred. Be honest - are you seriously comparing the content of Gab to Facebook?

Continuing with the honesty, I wouldn't mind if Twitter went away, in answer to your question.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Those sites have different bedrocks, and weren't expressly made to be a conduit for folks to spew hatred. Be honest - are you seriously comparing the content of Gab to Facebook?

Continuing with the honesty, I wouldn't mind if Twitter went away, in answer to your question.
This isn't simply about content, though, it's about the platforms as a whole. As far as I know Gab was not expressly created to be a conduit for folks to spew hatred as you claim. If I'm wrong and that was/is the case then it begs the question: why wasn't it shut down sooner?

I'm not a big Twitter fan either, but I do not want it shut down. Competition is good, stifling competition is going to lead to much more serious problems down the road than simply worrying about what some maladjusted individuals are saying on another platform.

Ke0

Aug 10, 2012
Reading, Berkshire
I'm assuming you have a specific terrorist(s) in mind because I don't see how can you make such a claim. There's been no shortage of terrorists around the world since video game game consoles gained online connectivity. To say none of them used that connectivity to communicate would be presumptuous. I'm fairly certain there are still details about the Bin Laden case that were kept hidden from public disclosure for security reasons - you don't tell the word a terrorist is escaping detection by using X to do Y unless you have a fix already in place to prevent it from happening again.

I posted it in another thread because it was pertinent to the discussion, but Forbes wrote an article about Gab attempting to get around their deplatforming:
The Alt-Right’s Favorite Social Network Gab’s Plan To Use Blockchain To Make Itself Indestructible

Maybe Richard Hendricks will save us:

And every time Sony and MS get wind of them they IP ban sizeable range. They're always actively banning once they get confirmation from various intelligence committees.

Also I find it funny you compare terrorists getting banned to extreme right wing nut jobs getting banned. That's pretty telling in and of itself

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Dec 4, 2004
Minnesota
This isn't simply about content, though, it's about the platforms as a whole. As far as I know Gab was not expressly created to be a conduit for folks to spew hatred as you claim. If I'm wrong and that was/is the case then it begs the question: why wasn't it shut down sooner?

I'm not a big Twitter fan either, but I do not want it shut down. Competition is good, stifling competition is going to lead to much more serious problems down the road than simply worrying about what some maladjusted individuals are saying on another platform.
Go look up Andrew Torba, dude. He's the founder of Gab. It's one thing to create a site or app that caters to alt-right folks. It's another thing entirely to allow for thinly-veiled hate speech to be posted, and allow it under the guise of a lax TOS regarding free speech.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Also I find it funny you compare terrorists getting banned to extreme right wing nut jobs getting banned. That's pretty telling in and of itself
You're shifting the argument. This isn't about "right wing nut jobs getting banned," it's about the entire platform disappearing. If terrorists, hate groups or whatever socially unacceptable views are expressed on a platform is that all it takes to justify removing that platform and if so, why hasn't anything been done to remove Facebook, Twitter, Youtube et al?

And every time Sony and MS get wind of them they IP ban sizeable range. They're always actively banning once they get confirmation from various intelligence committees.
Sony and MS are entertainment platforms, not communication platforms whose appeal relies primarily on the ability to express yourself. If news comes to light that they're not doing anything about hate speech it will negatively affect their business. The same can be said of the social media platforms if they worried about their bottom line suffering, Gab clearly didn't.

Telling of what, exactly? It was done to place a starker contrast between the problem and the ways in which we address it as known terrorists are a greater threat than hate speech. Try not to read too much into it.

Dec 3, 2013

My opinion, this is all by design by these company heads.

Then when the Trump Administration acts upon this stuff, and revokes their "public utility protections", they can shout, "see see, told you he was a dictator!"

Last edited:

OSC

Banned
Jun 16, 2018
Stop fooling yourself into thinking its nothing other then a safe space for the alt-right
A safe space? A safe space is where you block any fact or information regarding reality that you simply can't accept in your delusion. You have any evidence Gab was actively blocking or banning users bringing rational evidence of opposing viewpoints?

In some of the left's safe spaces you say maybe men are stronger on average than women, and you're permabanned. That is a safe space. You bring a statistic regarding crime, or regarding choices, or regarding the myth of the wage gap, any real fact they dislike and they permaban you, because they prefer delusions and lies over the truth.

When one group prefers lies and delusions over reality, how can we say such a group is right? That is why they oppose free speech, because in an open dialogue the truth comes to the surface and shatters their edifices of lies.

allow for thinly-veiled hate speech to be posted, and allow it under the guise of a lax TOS regarding free speech.
As has been said in this and other threads companies like twitter appear to do just that with hate speech from the left.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Gab is back a week after Pittsburgh shooting controversy forced it offline -ArsTechnica
Gab continues to be popular with antisemites.

When the shooter's apparent ties to Gab came to light, GoDaddy gave Gab 24 hours to find a new domain provider. Gab wasn't able to transition to a new provider immediately, so the site was down for about a week. But a domain provider called Epik agreed to host Gab, allowing the site to come back online this past weekend.

The new site includes a subtle branding change. "When we go back online this weekend our logo of the month will include a dove in honor of the Tree of Life victims and their families," Gab wrote on Twitter.

Gab has vowed to continue its free-speech policies, and it continues to be a popular online watering hole for noxious antisemitism.

Jul 7, 2018
Why does GAB have "apparent ties to the shooter"? Cos he used their platform? Does Elliot Rodger have "ties to YouTube" cos he regularly posted misogynistic videos on there, including posting his intent to kill a bunch of people in advance? Or are we playing the old "double-standards" game for the millionth time?

Dec 3, 2013
Why does GAB have "apparent ties to the shooter"? Cos he used their platform? Does Elliot Rodger have "ties to YouTube" cos he regularly posted misogynistic videos on there, including posting his intent to kill a bunch of people in advance? Or are we playing the old "double-standards" game for the millionth time?
I heard Hitler drank water.