• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell prefers Xbox Series X to PS5

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony has nothing to do with the PC versions of Detroit/HeavyRain/Beyond. Quantic Dream are the PC publishers of those games... they made a temporary exclusive deal with Epic.

I see. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that.

Just like the 250 million investment had nothing to do with what Sweeney said I'm sure this has nothing to do with Microsoft and Valve working on a new VR headset together.

VAL0R

Banned
As they say everyone has a price. Also everyone has an agenda. Those will serve you well at work.
acgAYwb.gif
Does that mean everyone is willing to lie for money? I'm not. While I've never been tempted with the offer, I truly believe, by the grace of God, that I would not tell a premeditated public lie for any amount of money. My honor and integrity can't be bought like that.

zcaa0g

Banned
Does that mean everyone is willing to lie for money? I'm not. While I've never been tempted with the offer, I truly believe, by the grace of God, that I would not tell a premeditated public lie for any amount of money. My honor and integrity can't be bought like that.

Until it can.

kuncol02

Banned
Just like the 250 million investment had nothing to do with what Sweeney said I'm sure this has nothing to do with Microsoft and Valve working on a new VR headset together.
They already work on VR together:
Valve's headphones/speakers becoming standard in VR would be great news. That's probably best part of index and I would gladly buy separate ones to use in work.

Faenrir

Yeah i don't get this "we don't need to separate gamers" crap. If you have a PC, you'll get almost all of the games. You can use different stores.

So i don't really care about this. I'll use whatever store has the gamei want to buy.

Blond

Banned
Remember when Gabe talked all this shit and then when Valve had some actual hands on time with the console Portal 2 looked and performed better on the PS3? I sure do lol

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think pretty much anyone would in the right situation. If my wife was sick and needed money for life saving medicine yep where is that lie at. Many business people love money and can say anything to fit their point of view and not see it as a lie.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Why would a VR headset prompt Gabe to talk about a videogame console?

Gabe's been around for a long time, he's never been afraid to call it the way he sees it - see his criticisms of PS3, Windows 8, etc. He has fuck you money and his company is wildly successful on its own.

Last edited:
Why would a VR headset prompt Gabe to talk about a videogame console?

Gabe's been around for a long time, he's never been afraid to call it the way he sees it - see his criticisms of PS3, Windows 8, etc. He has fuck you money and his platform is wildly successful on its own.

Just as I said, being in bed with a company financially would have ZERO bearing on how he feels about their console, same with Sweeney, both of them clearly mean what they said.

SoraNoKuni

Well I really like Gabe but him saying he prefers PS5 is like shooting himself on the foot after the Sony/Epic collaboration.
Fun times ahead.

Redlight

What performance ?

Specs - just TF number or do you have a proper benchmark ? Thought not,.

Nobody benchmarks performance on floating point ops per second. There is a reason for that.
Is it because only SSD speed counts? Regardless, Gabe knows his stuff, I'll stick with his opinion.

splattered

Whoa would not have expected that...

I guess this is where we learn that MS spent $250 million investment in their company haha jk

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well I really like Gabe but him saying he prefers PS5 is like shooting himself on the foot after the Sony/Epic collaboration.
Fun times ahead.

Gabe just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about gaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in reality where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in gaming, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase anything on Steam, nor will they purchase any of Valve's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Gabe has alienated an entire market with this move.

Gabe, publicly apologize and say the PS5 is better or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I don't think he can be so cut and dry when they've got entirely different ways of working.. i guess he would prefer a surrogate PC.. anyway, the proof is in the pudding

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Thanks gabe just cancelled my ps5 preorder
Straight in the trash sorry lord gaben for having doubts 😇

Last edited:

geordiemp

Is it because only SSD speed counts? Regardless, Gabe knows his stuff, I'll stick with his opinion.

I doubt gabe has seen an XSX running a game yet, nobody else has.

Has Gabe seen a ps5 or ps5 dev kit ?

Gabe is allowed to have preferences, does not mean he has seen either does it. In fact, he likely has not seen a Ps5 dev kit as he would be under strict NDA.

So rich and powerful steam owner, who has not seen dev kits, prefers MS who he works with on VR headkits. Thats fine, what else is there ?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Glad he likes the XSX better, he must have his reason. I just find it entertaining how much he would have been accused of shilling for Sony if he had said something else lol (I guess it would be mean to think about Sony cozying up with Epic Games Store factoring in this at all hehe ;))

Top Bottom