• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell prefers Xbox Series X to PS5

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So instead we have Sony fans accusing him of shilling for Xbox. On the positive side unlike the deal between Sony & Epic, it didn't cost MS $250,0,000 for Gabe's opinion.

Who accused him of shilling? Is there a reason you might be touchy and very reactive to this kind of tabloid shade towards PS5 (I mean particularly the last week or so...)?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The man's entitled to his opinion. Just remember he caters specifically to PC's, for which Microsoft often offers their games for new, and his career started out at Microsoft. He worked there for over a decade creating and working on Windows. Ironic though, since Sony were the ones that opened up for crossplatform play between Steam and PS3 for Portal 2 while Microsoft declined not to.

This would be like if Cerny left Sony a few years ago and started his own successful middleware company, and when asked on a show which console was better he said Playstation. Like duh, of course he would.

Dolomite

Proof is the end results. We wait. About time MS showed something running on the console, up until now we dont even know if anything is running on XSX.
I mean... I'm in no rush🤷‍♂️. When they launch we'll see which studios offer the most impressive games. I'm assuming for you're metric you want visual prowess. Well then admittedly, Sony's studios dominate on that front...so far. The PS4 was more powerful than the one and the PS3 was more powerful than the 360(though 360 games gave Sony a run for the money). This is the first power shift we've seen in a long time so I'll trust my gut and the specs when I say I expect fully optimized XSX only titles to look better than PS5. If I'm wrong I'm wrong hell I'll likely by both anyway

geordiemp

I mean... I'm in no rush🤷‍♂️. When they launch we'll see which studios offer the most impressive games. I'm assuming for you're metric you want visual prowess. Well then admittedly, Sony's studios dominate on that front...so far. The PS4 was more powerful than the one and the PS3 was more powerful than the 360(though 360 games gave Sony a run for the money). This is the first power shift we've seen in a long time so I'll trust my gut and the specs when I say I expect fully optimized XSX only titles to look better than PS5. If I'm wrong I'm wrong hell I'll likely by both anyway

Its strange that Ps5 has supposedly weak RT and yet its on every Sony game on first showing....and ps5 supposedly has customised RT .

Lets wait and see eh

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Who accused him of shilling? Is there a reason you might be touchy and very reactive to this kind of tabloid shade towards PS5?
Literally the next post.
The man's entitled to his opinion. Just remember he caters specifically to PC's, for which Microsoft often offers their games for new, and his career started out at Microsoft. He worked there for over a decade creating and working on Windows. Ironic though, since Sony were the ones that opened up for crossplatform play between Steam and PS3 for Portal 2 while Microsoft declined not to.

This would be like if Cerny left Sony a few years ago and started his own successful middleware company, and when asked on a show which console was better he said Playstation. Like duh, of course he would.

Dolomite

Its strange that Ps5 has supposedly weak RT and yet its on every Sony game on first showing....

Lets wait and see eh
Ooooh... I don't know. I wouldn't brag about checkerboard Ray tracing in GT7 or incorrect reflections altogether in Ratchet. The games look amazing and implement something I even didn't think the Ps5 would pull off convincingly. I was wrong. Shit looked great..... but ....you know.....it's a bit gimped

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Who accused him of shilling? Is there a reason you might be touchy and very reactive to this kind of tabloid shade towards PS5?

Your hyperbole is hilarious. BUT:

duZWfgk.gif

kyoji

you speaking with too much logic man, again this isnt news only in the sense that it brings xbox gaffers out of hiding after last weeks offering. If anything maybe ms will leverage there relationship and have gabe work on something for them. im sure it would be welcomed.

Well, i wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that MS love releasing games on steam and Sony sided with epic.

Im sure that had something to do with it. But if it gets me more games on xbox, praise the lord.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It seems like we are taking a comment and making a mountain out of a molehill, but sure as if people ever tried to argue 12 < 10 or compute performance superiority for PS5 (interesting though that the history is only brought up with Sweeney and supposedly his pro PS comments, but Newell's comments about PlayStation, think PS3 for example, and the competition between Steam and the Epic Games Store is not brought up at all :D... kind of expected 🤷‍♂️ ).
Sure, it helps move the narrative a bit away from a certain other topic as if it had the same impact :rolleyes:.

Saaleh

Banned
Asked directly which of the two consoles – PS5 or Xbox Series X – he considers the better one, Newell went with Xbox without hesitation.

“Why?” asked the host. “Because it’s better!” replied Newell.

“I don’t have a stake in that race,” he clarified. “Obviously, we do most of our development on personal computers, but of the two I would definitely go with an Xbox.”
But why? Seriously, what’s your reasoning behind your preference, or show us why it is unique. His opinion has no value if he don’t back it Up like sweeny.

sonyfifa

...c'mon man. Let's not do this. I don't want to bait a console war, you know why it's objectively more powerful and I know why the PS5 is objectively faster. This guy makes money from PC-sphere what do you expect him to say,? He knows his shit and we understand the opinion
he basicly said "i dont want to switch my favourite controller" lol

its a good controller i use it on the pc still.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned

EeAy0WBWAAAOKrm.jpg:large

EPIC VS VALVE IN THIS CONSOLE WAR
SWEENEY VS GABEN
CERNY VS SPENCER

WHO SHALL WIN

I dont like this just as I didn't like Epic coming out in support of Sony over Xbox. It feels like Steam and Epic games are fighting and using the new consoles as ammunition. It is just another way to divide gamers when we should be working on ways to be more of a community.

Barakov

Nothing wrong with the preferring the more powerful console. Whether it'll be the better console is another thing altogether.

kriolo

well, Gabe Newell is a respected person in game industry and he knows his stuff. I don't like this kind of "timing" maybe they will anounce some game collaboration, vr headset, more games easily ported to pc gaming via steam cause of xsx architecture etc. We already have the example of EPIC likeness of PS5 and days after boooom Sony invests 250M in EPIC Games. So take it lightly and continue to laugh about Halo Infinite

No one ever asks him why he isn't doing exclusive blockbusters PC games for Steam when his userbase is so thirsty for it. All that dough to party and chill.

But he will for damn sure release exclusive VR Games to push the hardware cause....

Gabe's always favored Xbox. From a competitive standpoint it makes sense and he dived into console politics in the PS3/X360 era when Valve was releasing exclusives for Xbox and talking trash. There is no lost love between him and Sony, and it never will be as long as they're competing for gamer's money. Sony introducing mid-gen refreshes were exactly targeted towards gamers that flee to PC. None of that flies by Gabe without him noticing... the pool of discretionary spending is finite.
MS is a weak link and he knows it. Outside of the obvious, he can maybe....just maybe.... have a genuine preference for Xbox...maybe.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Its not about if he is lying or telling the truth lol.

Answering "its better" doesnt tell us jack.

In any decent interview the follow up question would be "why is the x better than the playstation?"
Thing is, in a normal world, asking what console you prefer is a pretty casual question. Neither Gaben nor the host thought too deeply about it, there was no reason to.

Amiga

....you realize that the windows is bound only to the Ram and processing needed to run idle in the background right? It's 2020, most PCs are built to spec knowing exactly how much to set aside for an operating system that ships with the hardware when building a monster rig. A console is just that...a closed source gaming PC/console. The OS running on PS5/XSX will be less taxing to keep everything together in the background but let's not act like windows 10 is such a Hog that PC games have not been kicking consoles in the anal cavity for the last 30 yrs. 2020 is not THE YEAR for an operating system to finally Bog down a fully modified gaming PC to the point where it's outperformed by a console.
Kracken with every trick bell and whistles couldn't run MS flight simulator at full fidelity. The XVA probably won't either
I said its the file system, data on Windows needs to go through more stops between cpu/gpu/ssd. you can't build a rig that matches the PS5 speed because the pieces don't exist yet. and no PC vendor or parts manufacturer has yet announced future plans to match the PS5 I/O.

sonyfifa

Thing is, in a normal world, asking what console you prefer is a pretty casual question. Neither Gaben nor the host thought too deeply about it, there was no reason to.
yes. however there are 2 questions.

which one do you like the best ?

and

why do you like that one the best ?

seems like the host went deeper than gaben.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
Gabe literally made his fortune from MS stocks as an employee, and that money was used to make Valve and Steam.
However, rest assured that he is ready to get backstabbed at any time. He knows how MS operates from the inside.
It doesn't operate that way anymore. Nadella changed the internal structure.

Top Bottom