• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell prefers Xbox Series X to PS5

Better controller, better power, more robust and higher quality backwards compatibility. Better design, both the system itself and the user interface. Better apps and multimedia capabilities. Plex & Kodi on the Xbox family blow the PS4 out of the water. I'm sure the PS5 will be similarly awful at media playback. If you have to choose between the Xbox Series X and PS5, multiplatform titles will always be superior on the Xbox. You get better graphics and a better controller.

Literally the only thing Sony has going for them is that they make a couple good games each year and hold them hostage to their console. In every other aspect, they are inferior. If I didn't have a gaming PC and could only play on a console, I'd go with the Series X over the PS5 any day.

Gabe calling it like it is as usual.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
What a piece of shit! I fucking HATE YOU!
Accept the word of the lord
EeCHqjrWkAEv0v3

CitizenX

Banned
LOL he knows Steam has basically saved MS like its saving PS games that did not sell well. Gabe can go back into hiding now, we dont need circus barkers on our platform. Thats why T. Sweeny and Epic can GFT. Brilliant guy but absolute hypocrite.

LOL he knows Steam has basically saved MS like its saving PS games that did not sell well. Gabe can go back into hiding now, we dont need circus barkers on our platform. Thats why T. Sweeny and Epic can GFT. Brilliant guy but absolute hypocrite.
Wasn't it ol' Timmy that received dat big ol 250 million fat check from sony?

Arkam

Good for Gabe and his choice. Wish he expanded on why he felt it was better, but I am sure he has reasons. But if we are going to ask Gabe about preferences.... Chic Fil A or Popeyes chicken sandwich? <-- that's what the people want to know!

thelastword

Banned
Gabe has not made a game in years.....Where is Halflife 3. Besides he always prefers XBOX on paper, he preferred 360, does not mean he will not give PS5 the best ports if Valve finally develops a game. Lets be honest Halfife Alyx VR, where do you think it will go, which console manufacturer is doing VR and also. Gabe absolutely stomped on the PS3, but the PS3 versions of Portal was the best port in the end.........

Redlancet

Banned
...no games made for the PC are mighty impressive as well. Hell we're still waiting on a Crysis release for consoles just to say we can do it 10 yrs later
Sorry buddy, modern pc gaming lost its edge a long time ago, we just got better res, some bell and whistles and thats good, but no games are being made to take advantage of the pc, and i have a rtx2080ti, btw crysys as been surpassed a long time ago, you look that game with rose tinted glasses

What a Thread!!!😅 I laughed, loved, thumbed up MANY comments on here, But what's up with all the Xbox hate guys?

Im personally getting a Series X first... WHY??? Cause of the GAMES! You read that right! Just look at both their launch line-ups?! Sony got this stigma about them that is becoming more myth then fact, and most people seem to buy into this.

Fact is i'm much more interested in the launch games I've seen from MS so far, they have some awesome 1st party titles ready to go before Sony will, & not only this but many try to act as if a faster SSD makes up for 20% more GPU Power...It's just not happening! Anyone with a powerful PC (who is not biased) will tell ya, 3rd Party games will be my base-play here on the Series X, just as it is on my One X compared to my Pro.

I will 100% be getting me a PS5 (just as i got me a Pro), i MUCH prefer the design of the PS5, i MUCH prefer that they support VR (LOVE my PSVR), but for me, that can wait a good year until exclusives actually emerge from this dust storm.

Last edited:

Dnice1

I wonder if people's comments would be reversed if he chose playstation instead?????

XBox isn't allowed to have anything on Playstation. A whole slew of developers can praise PS5, but let one praise XSX and its the end of the world.

Hell XSX can't even have custom hardware features of its own. MS say XSX has VRS, "Oh PS5 has that too Cerny just didn't mention it". XSX has Mesh Shaders like Nvidia Turing cards, "Oh PS5 has primitive sharders thats basically the same thing". MS had AMD put in specific ML hardware, "Well PS5 the Geometry Engine and cache scrubber so it doesn't even need machine learning".

Yes I've seen all of these statements. PS5 has every thing Series X has in addition to RDNA3 features that won't hit the PC market until holiday 2021/22.

Gamernyc78

Banned
While PS5 will get some sweet first party games that almost start to rival Nintendo. I think the Series X will be the premiere multi-plat system like PS4 was for the longest time.
I also have questions if the PS5's internal design, is it over-designed to the point where form trumped function? While the S-X is simplified to ridiculous levels with a off the shelf 130mm fan and thicc heat sink.

"that almost start to rival Nintendo" 😂😂 they been there, done that and have been killing it with goty winners and contenders more so than anyone this last decade. Stop the hyperbole and nonsense 😂😂

Just like this gen my money os on Sony and tht ps5 architecture is going to make ppl eat lots of doritos and crow.

Btw I doubt he has any of the dev kits, maybe a next box so his opinion means shit lol

Last edited:

Dolomite

I said its the file system, data on Windows needs to go through more stops between cpu/gpu/ssd. you can't build a rig that matches the PS5 speed because the pieces don't exist yet. and no PC vendor or parts manufacturer has yet announced future plans to match the PS5 I/O.
.....you realize that the XVA is confirmed to be arriving and applicable for PC's right?

Dolomite

Not sure why I should care about the opinion of somebody who doesn't make games anymore...
He's an industry Godfather. More collective years around hardware and software, web design and Online gaming communities than most 1st party studios. Also Currently working...inbthe industry. Let's not act like Gabe is a nobody because of a hot take that hurt some egos

DinoD

Series X looks to be (not all details known) more powerful on paper. As long as Sony doesn't launch year later, is not more expensive, and significantly worse at running the multiplatform franchises. We also don't know much about OS/service capabilities of each console.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
XBox isn't allowed to have anything on Playstation. A whole slew of developers can praise PS5, but let one praise XSX and its the end of the world.

Hell XSX can't even have custom hardware features of its own. MS say XSX has VRS, "Oh PS5 has that too Cerny just didn't mention it". XSX has Mesh Shaders like Nvidia Turing cards, "Oh PS5 has primitive sharders thats basically the same thing". MS had AMD put in specific ML hardware, "Well PS5 the Geometry Engine and cache scrubber so it doesn't even need machine learning".

Yes I've seen all of these statements. PS5 has every thing Series X has in addition to RDNA3 features that won't hit the PC market until holiday 2021/22.

OMG this is so true. I can't believe the amount of PS5 tales from the ass I've seen from Sony fans. The guy that posted that info from the PS5 graphic engineer about PS5 RDNA 1.5 had to prove with Supreme Court level documentation that it wasn't fake/photoshopped (Spoiler - it wasn't fake) and I think they were even threatened with a ban if they couldn't prove it.

Sony fans run with all kinds of wild claims about the magical SSD, VRS, ML, RDNA 3 etc. etc. ad nauseam and everyone is supposed to accept these tales as facts.

Last edited:

Amiga

.....you realize that the XVA is confirmed to be arriving and applicable for PC's right?
even that isn't good enough, the PS5 I/O has several DMA channels that go straight to the SSD, i's like having a massive cache for certain categories of data. and that in turn frees the standard caches for other traffic.

DavidGzz

Better controller, better power, more robust and higher quality backwards compatibility. Better design, both the system itself and the user interface. Better apps and multimedia capabilities. Plex & Kodi on the Xbox family blow the PS4 out of the water. I'm sure the PS5 will be similarly awful at media playback. If you have to choose between the Xbox Series X and PS5, multiplatform titles will always be superior on the Xbox. You get better graphics and a better controller.

Literally the only thing Sony has going for them is that they make a couple good games each year and hold them hostage to their console. In every other aspect, they are inferior. If I didn't have a gaming PC and could only play on a console, I'd go with the Series X over the PS5 any day.

Gabe calling it like it is as usual.

That's the way I see it. I personally will get a PS5 for some good exclusives that I must have as a game fan but XSX, most likely, for everything else.

Just like this gen my money os on Sony and tht ps5 architecture is going to make ppl eat lots of doritos and crow.

We'll see, I'd love if you were right since I'm buying it, but seems that Sony fans fall for the "secret sauce" from the "Emotion" engine to this epic SSD. Has it ever panned out?

anothertech

What a Thread!!!😅 I laughed, loved, thumbed up MANY comments on here, But what's up with all the Xbox hate guys?

Im personally getting a Series X first... WHY??? Cause of the GAMES! You read that right! Just look at both their launch line-ups?! Sony got this stigma about them that is becoming more myth then fact, and most people seem to buy into this.

Fact is i'm much more interested in the launch games I've seen from MS so far, they have some awesome 1st party titles ready to go before Sony will, & not only this but many try to act as if a faster SSD makes up for 20% more GPU Power...It's just not happening! Anyone with a powerful PC (who is not biased) will tell ya, 3rd Party games will be my base-play here on the Series X, just as it is on my One X compared to my Pro.

I will 100% be getting me a PS5 (just as i got me a Pro), i MUCH prefer the design of the PS5, i MUCH prefer that they support VR (LOVE my PSVR), but for me, that can wait a good year until exclusives actually emerge from this dust storm.
The fuck? What games lol. Nobody with a gaming PC needs an Xbox. They made sure of that.

And 15% isn't 20% dude. The SSD will be the biggest difference between the two.

Dr Bass

The difference here between Gabe's comments and Sweeney's is that Gabe was asked impromptu on a talk show while Sweeney kept putting it out like a press release iirc. This feels genuine

Come on now. Let’s not be so naive.

“Guy that doesn’t make games anymore prefers Xbox. That must be genuine. Best current graphics company in the world says PS5 is a masterpiece of system architecture. It must be for cash they don’t even need.” :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FranXico

Thank goodness he didn't say he prefers PS5.

Because he said he prefers Xbox, it must be a sincere opinion! Only a shill would prefer PS5!

We're the good guys!!

Come on now. Let’s not be so naive.

“Guy that doesn’t make games anymore prefers Xbox. That must be genuine. Best current graphics company in the world says PS5 is a masterpiece of system architecture. It must be for cash they don’t even need.” :rolleyes:

A system architecture Epic has had some kind of input on. Sweeney praising the PS5’s technicals is as much praising himself and his company as praising Sony.

And that’s before we get into the equity investment by Sony into Epic.

Top Bottom