• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell prefers Xbox Series X to PS5

Gamernyc78

Banned
That's the way I see it. I personally will get a PS5 for some good exclusives that I must have as a game fan but XSX, most likely, for everything else.

We'll see, I'd love if you were right since I'm buying it, but seems that Sony fans fall for the "secret sauce" from the "Emotion" engine to this epic SSD. Has it ever panned out?

Fell for secret sauce? ps4 had secret sauce like the power brick gpu or exponential power of cloud? Tht panned out good right? No need for secret sauce Sony's hardware is always competent, software is the best of the best. No need for secret sauce when you already make a competent console and your exclusives push graphical benchmarks, almost always. The secret sauce of VR actually realized itself. Ps4 Gen had no talk of secret sauce tht was all Xbox making shit up due to dificiencies.

I see the discord is back doing ninja stuff 😂😂😂

Last edited:
I play on both PlayStation and PC, and I'm fine with Gabe saying this, since it is true. spec wise the XBX does look better (12tf vs 10tf etc). so for someone like Gabe, an developer who doesn't work on either platform as far as I know, of course he'll pick the XBX. would that make PS5 suddenly worse than XBX in my eyes? not really. I'm interested in the games and PS5 has the games that I like. do I wish PS5 has stronger specs? sure, why not. but I'm fine with what they have and I still look forward to getting my hands on one.

on a side note, Gabe seem to had lost some weight in this video compare to when I saw him on last year's TI. that's definitely a good thing.

MDSLKTR

Lord GabeN just playing 4d chess like he did during the ps3 days, he wants some of that ps userbase and he will forgive himself with a port of Portal 3 by announced at a e3 stage.

88Gq1IA.png

Gamernyc78

Banned
I play on both PlayStation and PC, and I'm fine with Gabe saying this, since it is true. spec wise the XBX does look better (12tf vs 10tf etc). so for someone like Gabe, an developer who doesn't work on either platform as far as I know, of course he'll pick the XBX. would that make PS5 suddenly worse than XBX in my eyes? not really. I'm interested in the games and PS5 has the games that I like. do I wish PS5 has stronger specs? sure, why not. but I'm fine with what they have and I still look forward to getting my hands on one.

on a side note, Gabe seem to had lost some weight in this video compare to when I saw him on last year's TI. that's definitely a good thing.

All specs don't look better, ppl keep minimizing the efficiency of the architecture and SSD yet professionals hace openly spoken of it. The SSD difference is bigger than slight gpu difference. Unless he has used both dev kits and compared his opinion is moot. Out of all the professionals and third party devs saying ps5 is the best console thyve seen in generations he is the only one giving this opinion and I bet it's not based on actually having dev kit time like the others.

Last edited:
All specs don't look better, ppl keep minimizing the efficiency of the architecture and SSD yet professionals hace openly spoken of it. The SSD difference is bigger than slight gpu difference. Unless he has used both dev kits and compared his opinion is moot. Out of all the professionals and third party devs saying ps5 is the best console thyve seen in generations he is the only one giving this opinion and I bet it's not based on actually having dev kit time like the others.

I know, that's why I emphasize the point he's not developing anything for either console as far as we know, so he might not get the full picture. he's just basing his opinion on some of the face facts which is why he didn't dive deeper into the reason why he felt that way.

Dnice1

I don't think anybody is minimizing the SSD. Ever since March 18 and the death of the 13TF dream we've heard PLENTY about the ole SSD. The fact is both have fast SSDs. Yes the PS5's is faster but we don't really know what advantage that provides beyond a few second in loading. Both can do the rifting/changing worlds gimmick we see in R&C and The Medium. Fast transversal wiil posible in both as well although every game doesn't need you swing around at 100mph like Spiderman. Beyond that the difference between the two gets complicated because the XSX has faster GPU specific memory.

I'm sure Valve either has both dev kit or access to them. Gabe isn't a nobody in the industry. He has relationships with just about every major developer who may have these kits and I'm sure they converse all the time.

On Demand

Banned
Condolences to the people spending the last 24 hours trying to convince something to a bunch of online avatars. "Its not what you think it is". Although if you are not trying convince me that I should believe you, but instead I should believe that you are right, then I feel bad for you. You want a confirmation from a nobody on internet, to clear your insecurities. You want the "Oh shit I was wrong, you are right" moment from a graphical avatar.

tenor.gif

On Demand

Banned

18% is HUUUGGGEEEE game changing difference!

Over 2x faster more tangible easily accessible SSD...........small.

You know Sony recently invested in Steams rival right? Where as MS are putting their games on Steam.

Truth is I don't think Gabe is looking beyond the system specs and probably the user experience at the end of the day.
You have been laying down this poor excuse time and time again.
Here, let me help you:

steam.jpg

To make sure you get it, pay attention to the yellow borders

Kadayi

Banned
You have been laying down this poor excuse time and time again.
Here, let me help you:

steam.jpg

To make sure you get it, pay attention to the yellow borders

I also said Sony love money a few posts later on. Too lazy to add an Avatar too lazy to pay attention . The golden rule is never wrong. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also for the record DS isn't a Sony published game. 505 are the Publishers. Check the Steam Page.

Last edited:
I also said Sony love money a few posts later on. Too lazy to add an Avatar too lazy to pay attention . The golden rule is never wrong. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I think "T" makes a nice avatar. I also think you have a habit of jumping to conclusions.

Isn't horizon zero dawn first party? its on steam.
And in fact, didn't that same first party (guerrilla) gave both its engine (deucima) and a large part of its most experienced engineers so that death stranding would be made as an exclusive?

there is always the option to stop acting like a child and embrace the truth ;)

Kadayi

Banned
I think "T" makes a nice avatar. I also think you have a habit of jumping to conclusions.

I think the words Kettle & Black Spring to mind. 🤔

If you think I give a shit about PS versus Xbox , you clearly don't know me. PC4Life

Isn't horizon zero dawn first party? its on steam.

HZD is Playstation mobile published and a quick Steam search suggests that there's a grand total of 4 Playstation mobile games currently on Steam.

Apparently they don't even have a publisher page on Steam. But beyond HZD (which I've pre-ordered btw), you have Helldivers Dive Harder Edition (2015), Everyone's gone to the Rapture (2016) and Arrowhead Ultimate Co-Op Collection, which in reality is Helldivers rolled into a package with another game and is a joint venture with Paradox apparently. Not exactly a stellar line up. Though who knows if HZD sells well (and in the absence of any big games atm it might well do), maybe Sony might start releasing some back catalogue titles on Steam (I for one wouldn't be adverse)

Meanwhile on the other hand MS (in the guise of Xbox Game Studios): -

33 Games apparently, with more to come

And in fact, didn't that same first party (guerrilla) gave both its engine (deucima) and a large part of its most experienced engineers so that death stranding would be made as an exclusive?

there is always the option to stop acting like a child and embrace the truth ;)

LOL, Sony might have helped out Kojima, but it was no different than when they helped out Hello Games after the flood with some investment. It garnered them platform exclusivity. DS was always coming to PC, as Kojima announced back in the day

Still as you clearly don't believe me. 505 Steam Page: -

Not everything that's exclusive to Playstation is necessarily published by Sony.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Thanks a lot Gabe. with that one comment "It's better" I fear you have ignited a new onslaught of magic SSD threads.

18% is HUUUGGGEEEE game changing difference!

Over 2x faster more tangible easily accessible SSD...........small.

If you think I give a shit about PS versus Xbox , you clearly don't know me.
you wrote all that and this too

You know Sony recently invested in Steams rival right? Where as MS are putting their games on Steam.

and also the comments before that, as you were the very first person in the topic to try and damage control what gabe newell said,
but somehow "you don't give a shit about ps vs xbox" :]

yeah, ok, and I am the Pope of Rome :]

as I already told you, you always have the option to stop acting as a manchild and embrace the truth,
and the fact that gabe newell expressed his opinion about the two consoles, in a more free way and not like tim sweeney's "return on investment" "opinion", which is your repeating narrative here

but fact is, no matter if you choose to do so or not, in a few months newell will be proven correct and you will be proven false ;]

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
*Crazy Talk*

Honestly I don't know what the fuck is going on with GAF lately but the sheer number of unhinged RandoLetterPosters crawling out of the woodwork who read way too much into shit lately is quite troubling tbh (I don't ever recall it being this bad before). Is there a full moon going on or some such? Or was the Covid just a cover for some other IQ eroding infection? The great joy of working from home and having dual monitors mean I can work and peruse GAF at the same time now, and as I'm also on the Discord I get notified of new threads as soon as they appear. But yeah I'm absolutely running damage control here at GAF for Gabe. You can pop into any thread regarding Half-Life and you'll find me valiantly defending Valves abject failure to ship EP3 at any given moment. 🤔 #Valve4Life #PCMasterRace

magnumpy

how dare "gabe" say such a thing. my little girl dreams of limitless computational power have been shattered and I question if life is even worth living now :(

obviously I know a lot more about video games than this supposed developer! steam is a tiny little also-ran development house that is worth less than nothing D:

quick fact check: which is the larger platform, Steam or PSN? Steam or Xbox gamepass? the answer would be quite illuminating...

Kadayi

Banned
YOUR OPINION, is xbox the better machine or not, mister #Valve4Life #PCMasterRace ? yes/no

You ask me a question and don't even quote me? For shame . At least you Avatared up. So that's a positive. :messenger_beermugs:

DampDecisiveEwe-size_restricted.gif

Honestly don't have a clue about the consoles. At this juncture I think as with many things specs are kind of moot because by on large people will stick with the brand they know, and the truly blessed with probably buy both so they have all options.

:messenger_beaming: once again, you fail to respond and fall back to slipping-around methods :]
If you don't understand specs I wonder how you shop pc parts for your #masteracebuilds

Most importantly, I don't think anyone that has all consoles and gaming pc is "truly blessed", or even plain blessed. That's blasphemy right there :]
For me, the blessing would be that he was not completely stupid.

Kadayi

Banned
If you don't understand specs I wonder how you shop pc parts for your #masteracebuilds

LOL. why would I be interested in the specs of things I'm not remotely planning on buying? I have more games than I can ever hope to play in my backlog short of either a big lottery win and/or some 'I know Kung Fu' matrix inspired clone/memory transfer deal. I mean as is. I'm just wrapping up SOTR at the moment, then I've got DS to dip into, HZD in a week and bit, CKIII in September and then CP2077 in November, with AC: Odyssey loitering in the background ever hopeful. If I'm lucky (assuming neither CKIII or CP2077 complete consume me) I might manage to squeeze in a couple of smaller indie titles from the backlog before years end. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

As regards PC Specs? PCPartPicker is your friend.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Talks shit about PS3 and sony for years and even said the Xbox was better

Then here he is on the Sony stage at e3 . seen it all before :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

splattered

Didn't he decide to support PS3 at that point because they allowed mods and xbox did not? I don't think that really ended up going anywhere either.

Seems like Unreal and MAYBE some of the Orange Box stuff had mod support? Don't remember what all did..

interesting poll

majority wants a ps5 at launch

here's the games they want to play on it, per same poll:

Top 5 Most Anticipated Releases
  1. Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt)
  2. Marvel’s Avengers (Square-Enix)
  3. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 Remaster (Activision)
  4. Dying Light 2 (Techland)
  5. Halo Infinite (Xbox Game Studios)
all multiplats and an xbox game :messenger_beaming:

It just proves to you that most gamers arent in gaming forums spreading hate on the other guys. Hence why Halo is there. Bad demo or not, its still popular.

Didn't he decide to support PS3 at that point because they allowed mods and xbox did not? I don't think that really ended up going anywhere either.

Seems like Unreal and MAYBE some of the Orange Box stuff had mod support? Don't remember what all did..
Not only. iirc orange box ps3 was done by outside studios, resulting in very subpar framerates and image quality, numerous online gameplay problems, etc.
One can say that given the value that that compilation of games represented, it was a harm to his brand name.

Last edited:
People should welcome this on the Playstation side. Noneedtobeupsetcraig.gif

Jim and Herman weren't Kaz and Uncle Jack who had to shoulder the load, and do the heavy fighting when the PS3 was down and getting pounded by all competitors left and right with personalities like Gabe coming out of the woodwork to help tilt the balance one way with his public comments trashing the PS3 and releasing exclusive games on Xbox. Did people forget about exclusives like Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2 on the Xbox side? Even publishers like EA thought Sony was done and signed up for the unprecedented partnership with MS for the Xbox One. A partnership no other 3rd party publisher dared to do. There is a gentleman understanding of neutrality for third party pubs. But EA being greedy fucks and clowns chose to forget it. EA has duly paid for that mistake - and it was beautiful to watch their apology tour, front and center at every PS event on first row, culminating in the PSX free game giveaway. That's the Playstation way, you make them repent.

You have these fresh new suits who seem to have selectively forgotten the past. They somehow believe we're in a new age, that the past no longer holds but there is an old adage that says that the more things change the more they stay the same. So I'm not surprised to see these suits release games on Steam (a mistake) when it has always been the Playstation way to get the competition to come to Playstation instead. Never has it been the other way around.

It was the case with Portal and it should be the case with Half Life: Alyx for PSVR2. Instead you have a cuck like Herman allowing a game like Horizon Zero Dawn to go to PC, on the eve of a new console launch, while the head of Valve/Steam, Gabe goes on public and literally endorses the competition in no uncertain terms knowing full well it would make headlines in the gaming world considering his status. Gabe could have come up with a mariad of dodges like any well versed man but he didn't. Not even Sweeny was that bold and clear cut despite supposedly getting "bought" by 250 mill.

So maybe this could serve as a bit of a wake up call and maybe it should give the new cucks in charge pause the next time they think of putting a Playstation exclusive on Steam, or allowing a merc like Kojima to cuck them by using Decima for free, funding the game, and have it go to PC.... with said merc more or less ripping the experience found on PS4 to prop up the PC version. I'm sure PS heads thought getting Kojima on board at the time was a boom for mind-share as they paraded his deposed corpse (by Konami) around on game shows but the man ain't worth that much. A merc is a merc. If you're going to release exclusives on PC for that extra change (peanuts, as the game is discounted and required extra work)... make it at least exclusive to the Epic games stores, a company you have money invested in. If only to send a message.

Maybe the new suits have gone into a certain lapse of knowledge trying to avoid the uncomfortable and painful past and forgot the few constants about the nature of the market and competition. We will know whether Herman is a certified cuck soon enough in the coming years. I rest easy in knowing Yoshida is still in the wings, watching from below.

Last edited:

Redlight

Jim and Herman weren't Kaz and Uncle Jack who had to shoulder the load, and do the heavy fighting when the PS3 was down and getting pounded by all competitors left and right with personalities like Gabe coming out of the woodwork to help tilt the balance one way with his public comments trashing the PS3 and releasing exclusive games on Xbox. Did people forget about exclusives like Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2 on the Xbox side? Even publishers like EA thought Sony was done and signed up for the unprecedented partnership with MS for the Xbox One. A partnership no other 3rd party publisher dared to do. There is a gentleman understanding of neutrality for third party pubs. But EA being greedy fucks and clowns chose to forget it. EA has duly paid for that mistake - and it was beautiful to watch their apology tour, front and center at every PS event on first row, culminating in the PSX free game giveaway. That's the Playstation way, you make them repent.

You have these fresh new suits who seem to have selectively forgotten the past. They somehow believe we're in a new age, that the past no longer holds but there is an old adage that says that the more things change the more they stay the same. So I'm not surprised to see these suits release games on Steam (a mistake) when it has always been the Playstation way to get the competition to come to Playstation instead. Never has it been the other way around.

It was the case with Portal and it should be the case with Half Life: Alyx for PSVR2. Instead you have a cuck like Herman allowing a game like Horizon Zero Dawn to go to PC, on the eve of a new console launch, while the head of Valve/Steam, Gabe goes on public and literally endorses the competition in no uncertain terms knowing full well it would make headlines in the gaming world considering his status. Gabe could have come up with a mariad of dodges like any well versed man but he didn't. Not even Sweeny was that bold and clear cut despite supposedly getting "bought" by 250 mill.

So maybe this could serve as a bit of a wake up call and maybe it should give the new cucks in charge pause the next time they think of putting a Playstation exclusive on Steam, or allowing a merc like Kojima to cuck them by using Decima for free, funding the game, and have it go to PC.... with said merc more or less ripping the experience found on PS4 to prop up the PC version. I'm sure PS heads thought getting Kojima on board at the time was a boom for mind-share as they paraded his deposed corpse (by Konami) around on game shows but the man ain't worth that much. A merc is a merc. If you're going to release exclusives on PC for that extra change (peanuts, as the game is discounted and required extra work)... make it at least exclusive to the Epic games stores, a company you have money invested in. If only to send a message.

Maybe the new suits have gone into a certain lapse of knowledge trying to avoid the uncomfortable and painful past and forgot the few constants about the nature of the market and competition. We will know whether Herman is a certified cuck soon enough in the coming years. I rest easy in knowing Yoshida is still in the wings, watching from below.

Holy shit.

'The Playstation way', 'cucks' and 'mercs', 'you make them repent', 'dodges like any well versed man', 'uncomfortable and painful past' etc, etc.

Why does this read more like the angry defence of a religion or political creed than a post about a gaming machine? I tell you, Sony fans are a different breed. :)

Holy shit.

'The Playstation way', 'cucks' and 'mercs', 'you make them repent', 'dodges like any well versed man', 'uncomfortable and painful past' etc, etc.

Why does this read more like the angry defence of a religion or political creed than a post about a gaming machine? I tell you, Sony fans are a different breed. :)

It's the way of the Ghost. Phil has led you stray Red. The more you resist the worse it will be in the end.

Holy fuckin' shit! 😂
Is this some old meme like "I'm an expert in japan culture" that I've missed? Or are you for real? 😂

Craig.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom