• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell says Valve has multiple games in development and ‘wants to do more single-player’

Mista

Banned
COMBINE_ELEVATOR_4K-1280x720.jpg

Valve co-founder and CEO Gabe Newell has confirmed that the Half-Life firm has multiple games in development and that it is keen to make more single-player experiences

We definitely have games in development that we’re going to be announcing — it’s fun to ship games. Alyx was great — to be back doing single-player games, that created a lot of momentum inside of the company to do more of that

However, Newell refused to be drawn on the subject of new Half-Life and Portal games when questioned about potential sequels

I’ve successfully not spoken about those things for a long time and I hope to continue to not talk about them until they are moot questions. The nice thing is, by not answering those questions, I avoid the community coming up with new, equally-difficult-to-answer questions

Arkam

I do hope they put some real resources behind some single player games again. Doesn't even have to be HL3, just something new and dope.

The Alien

Banned
Half Life 3 confirmed-ish. I'll take it.

(If Gabe's got like 4+ games in dev and one of 'em ain't HL3....people gonna be pissed).

Orta

Banned
Alyx came out of the blue and proved Valve can still make AAA games. I'm pretty confident in them delivering a HL3 that'll live up to the hype. I'd actually be surprised if it isn't well into development.

Saying that I'd love a VR Portal. Total headfuck!!!

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Alyx came out of the blue and proved Valve can still make AAA games. I'm pretty confident in them delivering a HL3 that'll live up to the hype. I'd actually be surprised if it isn't well into development.

Saying that I'd love a VR Portal. Total headfuck!!!
Valve definitely still has it. I honestly wasn't expecting much from Half-Life: Alyx. VR had seemed like sort of gimmick honestly, but that game showed that fully fledged and great VR games is possible.

After all the expectations of another Half-Life, they did so well.

I'm certainly interested to see what Valve cooks up.

giphy.gif

Hudo

Cool. I love Valve's singleplayer games. I was never a fan of their multiplayer output but I realize that Steam was basically built on Counterstrike: Source, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead.

JayK47

All I know is I can't play HL Alyx because I do not have, nor do I want to invest in, VR. If they make more VR exclusive games I will be missing out.

MiguelItUp

I want more Valve games. I want more single-player, and then some. I want VR, and not VR. I hope we're getting a bit of everything. I miss Valve game releases being more of a thing. :(

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Gah. I know he said he won't answer questions about Portal, but mannnn. A Portal 3 with solid state drives has some pretty incredible possibilities. Thinking like Rift Apart and portaling between multiple worlds/universes.

johntown

Banned
Valve seems to make pretty good games so this is great news!

More AAA VR is exactly what we need. I can accept non-vr games too.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Gah. I know he said he won't answer questions about Portal, but mannnn. A Portal 3 with solid state drives has some pretty incredible possibilities. Thinking like Rift Apart and portaling between multiple worlds/universes.
I think it would have to be very carefully made to avoid going too far away from what Portal is, but I like the concept

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I think it would have to be very carefully made to avoid going too far away from what Portal is, but I like the concept
I mean even using the ending of Portal 2 as a starting point you can go back and forth to
the moon.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I mean even using the ending of Portal 2 as a starting point you can go back and forth to
the moon.
True, but that’s a climactic moment and it’s special because it was the first and last time that happened. You also have to remember that the portal gun only works on specific surfaces, so that’s a limiting factor unless they give the gun to Freeman and let an alien modify it so the game becomes Half-Life 3: Portal

LordOfChaos

I still would like a story time about that long ass gap. I know the easy answer is they were printing money with Steam and went all in on that, but there were other comments along the lines of needing a therapist to tell the full story or something. Still curious.

carlosrox

Banned
Thank fuck for more Single Player.

You know what I've been thinking of lately?

They should do a Half-Life 2 Remake.

HL2 was famously fucked over by a huge leak. It's pretty obvious that the game is sorta unfinished. You can tell looking at a LOT of the level design.

Now I have always loved HL2 but also have made no secret that the game was also a pretty big disappointment for me.

There are lots of things wrong with HL2 (as awesome as it ended up being) and while it still looks pretty nice, it could use a makeover.

There's also a number of things they could improve on in terms of the way the game plays and feels. Level design, character control, shooting, enemy behaviors, etc.

Do it Valve. Do a Half-Life 2 Remake.

I'd even suggest an HL1 remake but the fan game has already done that very well.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Newell refused to be drawn on the subject of new Half-Life and Portal games when questioned about potential sequels
This is the right thing to do.

After experiencing Half Life Alyx, I would honestly be disappointed if Half life 3 would turn out to be 2D. I don’t think I want to go back non-VR. Valve nailed it.
But how much did Alyx sell?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
while I loved Alyx and it was one of the best moments ever in my gaming life, I still want normal half-life....
Alyx is an experience but it's barely a game. Some simple repeated puzzles, barely any action and a slow pace. Nothing like hl1 or 2 but still - it is worth owning any vr headset for it

carlosrox

Banned
Didnt he say that 10 years ago as well?

Maybe so but they did finally release a new HL game, the team is apparently down for more, and though I haven't played it, I heard Alyx teases the next game.

Hopefully this time they make good on this claim quicker than they did last time.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

This is the right thing to do.

But how much did Alyx sell?

~2M as of early December, before what I think is one of the best VR headset sale season with the Quest 2 sold out pretty much everywhere and talk of huge sale boosts recently with that platform.

It was already quite decent sales, HL3 and a new generation of headsets that are wireless, with FOVEated view, and focus lenses like Half Dome 3, for a cheap price like Quest line, and you have a chance to soar VR adoption.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it. In my opinion outside of half life alyx which can only be played with a 400$+ VR headset have not been relevant in games for a while.

Put up or shut up gabe. We have not had anything since left 4 dead 2, and portal 2.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Can they finish the half life episodes. That would be amazing if we weren’t just left with the cliffhanger of HL2 episode 2.
Make a set called the purple box that is all new single player experiences.

Normally I would be excited, and would be eagerly hoping for a brand new IP to sink my teeth into.

But Valve created a massive successful story based game in the Half Life series and left gamers with a cliffhanger. Until they resolve that and complete their story, any other game they make will be met with an edge of disappointment from gamers. I'm sure I don't speak for everyone. But if you saw a news story that says :"New Single Player game Announced by Valve" Your first thought is Half Life or Portal right?

They really need to just finish that series. Then move onto something even better.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
~2M as of early December, before what I think is one of the best VR headset sale season with the Quest 2 sold out pretty much everywhere and talk of huge sale boosts recently with that platform.

It was already quite decent sales, HL3 and a new generation of headsets that are wireless, with FOVEated view, and focus lenses also Half Dome 3, for a cheap price like Quest line, and you have a chance to soar VR adoption.
HL3 would aim for at least 10M sales. VR games can't guarantee that at all, and Alyx is proof enough.

Buggy Loop

HL3 would aim for at least 10M sales. VR games can't guarantee that at all, and Alyx is proof enough.

2M with the super expensive Index almost sold out throughout the year is super good. There more demand than supply of headsets, even at 1k$ prices.

And then there’s the « before » and after the arrival of Quest 2.

5 times more pre-orders than the previous one and sold out worldwide. Projected sales are 3 million units this year and Bosworth, after seeing the demand thinks they’re on the way to lifetime 10 million units for the unit.

More importantly, all new headsets now have a benchmark of quality, wireless, no sensor towers and affordable prices to beat. 10M units? By whatever time Half life 3 comes out, it’ll be doable. 💯

Last edited:
I’ve successfully not spoken about those things for a long time and I hope to continue to not talk about them until they are moot questions. The nice thing is, by not answering those questions, I avoid the community coming up with new, equally-difficult-to-answer questions

What kind of mental gymnastics are these?

Barakov

Gold Member
Well, I guess it's better than no news. Honestly, I'd rather they just release Half-Life 3, put an end to it and just let themselves and everybody else move on. Seems like they're just way too busy with Steam, Dota and CSGO at this point.

Last edited:

Tschumi

#goodoldtimes when half Life 2 was extremely slow coming but actually it was only like 6 years or something

Top Bottom