• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe: Singleplayer games are like a film where your lead actor is retarded & autistic

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As part of his talk at the LBJ School of Public Affairs, Gabe Newell shared some of the differences and difficulties of making features that really resonate with players between singleplayer and multiplayer. There's a lot more about his talk at the link.

Also I thought this particular quote might generate some interesting debate about how Valve is adapting to multiplayer, and uh, perhaps if he should use different phrasing.

Polygon said:

The Multiplayer Divide

When Valve's most productive creators do take that initiative, interesting things can happen.

Some of the most unique advances in Valve's single-player games were discovered by the outside-the-box interpretation of simple heuristics — how players were immersed in Half-Life 1 because bullets left a permanent mark on the environment, or how Half-Life 2's characters were considered to be more relatable, simply because they were able to make eye contact with the player.

That kind of innovation, Newell said, becomes much more difficult when additional players are added to the mix.

"Single-player games are like a feature film where your lead actor is retarded and autistic, but you can think of it like a feature film," Newell said. "In a multiplayer game, these rules that you come up with don't work anymore. An example would be in Counter-Strike, we put the riot shield in, and our player number go up. We take the riot shield out, and our player numbers go ... up. How do you explain that?

"You start to think, after a while, that multiplayer games are all about externalities. They kind of look more like operating systems, or a sport. In terms of how they behave, they behave a lot more, and value is created a lot more like a spectator sport than a feature film."

Measuring success through metrics becomes tricky when dealing with a body of interconnected players, Newell explained. However, it also opened up opportunities for Valve to incorporate newfound productivity into their corporate architecture: It allowed them to democratize content creation among Steam users, and it allowed them to create robust economic systems within Steam itself.

"To be really concrete, 10 times as much content comes from the user base for TF2 as comes from us," Newell said. "So we think we're super productive and kind of badass at making TF2 content, but even at this early stage, we cannot compete with our own customers in the creation of content for this environment. The only company we've ever met that kind of kicks our ass is our customers. We'll go up against Bungie, or Blizzard, or anybody but we won't try to compete with our own user base, because we already know we're going to lose.

"Once we start building the interfaces for users to start selling their content to each other, we start to see some surprising things," Newell added.

Those "surprising things" are all microcosms of phenomena usually found on a macroeconomic scale. Some content creators shot to the top of the sales charts, earning immense wealth — one industrious user made over $500,000 in a single year, Newell said. User-made currencies appeared, inflated and collapsed. The service was no stranger to economic crises, but it also hosted economic boon, as well; so much so, that Paypal began to question their motives.

"The first two weeks that we did this, we actually broke Paypal," Newell said. "They didn't have, I don't know what they were worried about, maybe drug-dealing, because nothing generates cash to our user base other than selling drugs like this. We had to work something out with them, and say, 'No, they're making hats.'"

Content creators that were employed at other video game developers were making more money than they were in their full-time jobs, Newell said. Steam had fostered the economy of a middle-sized country.

"I like to tease Yanis [Varoufakis, Valve's resident economist] about the fact that Steam is five times the size of Greece," Newell said, "and that we have less debt."

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/1/3941274/gabe-newell-steam-box-talk-ut

---

As part of his talk at the LBJ School of Public Affairs, Gabe Newell shared some of the differences and difficulties of making features that really resonate with players between singleplayer and multiplayer. There's a lot more about his talk at the link.

Also I thought this particular quote might generate some interesting debate about how modern singleplayer games are structured.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/1/3941274/gabe-newell-steam-box-talk-ut

a fellow 4channer I see?

Cunt. Horrible way for anyone to talk; let alone the head of a major company.
I've been suspicious just how arrogant, vain and generally closed off Gabe has become; but this is horrible.

I'll leave this as just 'suspicions' still and put it down to him just having very poor taste, being ignorant and using very poor wording.

:(

EDIT: We'll put it as cuntish. Am sure I'll be pulled out for it and yes its more wording than anything else. But it is hardly good for him to make statements like this, I hope he corrects himself.
If people don't like my phrasing; consider me extremely, extremely disappoined.

StuBurns

Banned
No, they're making hats, is an amazing sentence. I don't think I really believe it, let alone company executives who've never touched a video game.

I've been suspicious just how arrogant, vain and generally closed off Gabe has become; but this is horrible.

I'll leave this as just 'suspicions' still and put it down to him just having very poor taste, being ignorant and using very poor wording.

It's ok. He's allowed to say anything he wants as long as he puts PC games on sale a few times a year. That entitles him to immunity from criticism apparently.

Oh please, I'm autistic and you don't see me crying about how he said the word autistic. I think more people should just admit their weaknesses and grow from them.

1-D_FTW

OMG at the income of some of these guys. Who made 500,000 in one year? What was he selling? Clearly I have a defective imagination, because I still can't imagine how this was done.

EDIT: We'll put it as cuntish. Am sure I'll be pulled out for it and yes its more wording than anything else. But it is hardly good for him to make statements like this, I hope he corrects himself.

He's just really excited that the fans are making TF2 so much money for him. All he has to do is recline in his Santa chair and watch the green just rain on down.

hayguyz

Banned

nope, you're absolutely right

DocSeuss

Welp, he can fuck off then, can't he?

Games (3D ones, specifically, which is the only place where his analogy even begins to work) are virtual realities. They're not "like" film at all. If you want to keep people from treating them like they're fake, then you need to create something a lot more emotionally resonant. Effectively, you have to get players to go "okay, intellectually, I know it's fake, but I'm going to get emotionally involved anyway." You have to get players to choose to accept to suspend their disbelief, which is amazingly challenging.

Except... you can't do that when you're too busy creating something that's more about behavior modification/manipulation, which is what Valve does.

The terminology there is fucking awful.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Gabe: "We had to work something out with them, and say, 'No, they're making hats.'"

Paypal: "The fuck?"

Zia

Seriously?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Time to go away and not talk again for a while like last time, Gabe.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Nirolak, it seems like you chose the thread title to ignite the userbase. You wrote that you would like to provoke an interesting discussion about how SP games work but nothing in OP provokes this discussion because Gabe talks about how they collect feedback from MP games and that's all. Nothing about how SP games are structured.

That's it unless I misunderstood your intent.

Quite an interesting comparison to Greece really, with Steam's recent focus on democratisation which was born there. Maybe if the Steambox bankrupts Valve they'll turn into a bunch of nazis?

gryz

Banned
lol at the PC brigade in this thread, how is this offensive? sounds like a pretty accurate comparison to me.

I don't think that it's a poor word choice. If he said, "level design in modern games is retarded," or "developers at many game companies are retarded," then that's a poor word choice, but, I think that this is the correct use of the word. To say, "we treat main characters as if they are retarded."

Unless, of course, we're just not allowed to ever use the word retarded anymore, which who knows, a bunch of people probably feel that way.

Spookie

OMG at the income of some of these guys. Who made 500,000 in one year? What was he selling? Clearly I have a defective imagination, because I still can't imagine how this was done.

Some people crank out items and sets at an almost workman like pace. As items go in others are up for consideration so I imagine as the demand tapers off for one item the next is placed in the store giving a near constant revenue stream. With the prices what they are people don't miss missing out on their afternoon latte to pick up something for a game they enjoy playing.

Coxy

me in expecting Play4Real link, wow
reading the w whole article expecting there to be some elucidation and justification for that, none at all

Himself

Valve's whole anti-single player stance lately has me comfortably thinking I won't be interested in much they're doing in the future. At least Portal was great.

JackNicholsonFinger.gif

Top Bottom