• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe: 'We aren't canceling any projects'

Whydo people keep on bringing up hidden path as a valve game? Every scrap of info I've seen about the game indicates that Hidden path did the work. Sure valve probably helped in some aspects, but it seems more like a sony->superbot and konami->platinum relationship.

Whydo people keep on bringing up hidden path as a valve game? Every scrap of info I've seen about the game indicates that Hidden path did the work. Sure valve probably helped in some aspects, but it seems more like a sony->superbot and konami->platinum relationship.

Because

1) the project lead, Ido Magal, was Valve's, not HPE's
2) Jess Cliffe, one of the creators of the original CS mod, worked on its design
3) the CSM engine updates Source got? That was Valve: http://alex.vlachos.com/resume/
4) nearing completion I think it was said Valve had completely taken over

I don't want to suggest HPE only did "grunt work", but at the very least it seems Valve were calling the shots on everything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I dont know why people are worried about steam. Valve could decide to stop making games tomorrow and they'd still be a hugely successful company just continuing to develop steam as a platform.

Because

1) the project lead, Ido Magal, was Valve's, not HPE's
2) Jess Cliffe, one of the creators of the original CS mod, worked on its design
3) the CSM engine updates Source got? That was Valve: http://alex.vlachos.com/resume/
4) nearing completion I think it was said Valve had completely taken over

I don't want to suggest HPE only did "grunt work", but at the very least it seems Valve were calling the shots on everything.

Valve had 40+ employees working on CS: GO and yes, they did take it over completely at the end.

lNtNYSr.jpg

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What is DOTA 2 even doing at the moment? It's been in 'beta' for years seemingly, and they're handing out invites like candy (heck, I've got over a dozen and I've played it for 2 hours).

DOTA 2 is making Valve millions at the moment from all the in-game cosmetic sales. The game left beta when they opened up the in-game store and started sending out mass invites to every single dota account and pretty much everyone that applied to play.

I feel like Valve's equal opportunity work place may have led to a falling out between several employees on the direction of future games/the steam box. Good explanation for a bunch of firings and the departure of senior employees.

I will never understand this company though, "peer review" for firings? Sounds like a shady environment where you're always suspecting your coworker(s) of conspiring against you or something of the like. Who organizes these "peer reviews" or the campaign to get someone fired? Doesn't seem like a very stable workplace for newer employees... or even veterans I guess lol?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
all the rampant speculation in the other thread made me curious to play the original Half Life. People treat it as if it was revolutionary when it came out (much more than the sequel) and I'm kind of curious to know why.
Is there any recommended way to play it, as in graphical mods etc?

d0g_bear

all the rampant speculation in the other thread made me curious to play the original Half Life. People treat it as if it was revolutionary when it came out (much more than the sequel) and I'm kind of curious to know why.
Is there any recommended way to play it, as in graphical mods etc?

A community-made remake recently came out called Black Mesa (it's free). It's an excellent remake with reasonably modern looking visuals (although it doesn't include the last part of the game). However if you want to experience it the way they did in 1998, it's on steam for a few dollars.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A community-made remake recently came out called Black Mesa (it's free). It's an excellent remake with reasonably modern looking visuals (although it doesn't include the last part of the game). However if you want to experience it the way they did in 1998, it's on steam for a few dollars.

cool. so from the mod website it looks like there could be a complete version some time this year? In that case I'll wait.

WickedlNl

Banned
It took these guys years to make the Black Mesa where it is now, even though they thought they would finish much sooner. So I think you should go for it as it is since its only missing the very last alien planet part of the game which in my opinion is the most boring. Also that complete version might come who knows when :) They did a very good overhaul. Heres a comparisson video Old vs New:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU06wKaspUU

injurai

Banned
Someone please explain to me why Gabe enforces such non-transparent communication policies.

I think it all started with them wanting to control their game reveals and development. Then it kinda of leaked into a blanket policy that is now easier to maintain than having a mixed stream of communication.

Interfectum

I like the Gaben but it seems like he's not really understanding how powerful things like Facebook and Twitter are now. He's trying to have it both ways. He wants the community neck deep in creating tons of assets for Steam games but we shouldn't be concerned when known Valve employees post on Twitter that they were fired.

Vaporak

Someone please explain to me why Gabe enforces such non-transparent communication policies.

...What companies detail why employes were fired to people outside the company? He already commented on all the rampant speculation that it meant projects/divisions were being shut down.

eot

Banned
cool. so from the mod website it looks like there could be a complete version some time this year? In that case I'll wait.

If you decide to play Black Mesa you should get a mod (yes a mod for a mod) that adds an important level that was maybe 70% cut in the official release.

Sibylus

Banned
Gabe is still not being totally upfront about this.

I go over why I think these guys were laid off here - http://www.playereffort.com/?p=2887

In short I think they were working on a game (the sci-fi space ship thing) - it might have gotten cancelled and the dev team might have left Valve to do their own thing.
Just a correction: the spaceship game was Stars of Blood, Barathrum is the name of a Dota hero. Was a bit of fan misinformation.

Top Bottom