• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

GAF (and other forums) are stricter than Facebook and Twitter combined!

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
I think in the light of what is happening with the current bans across social media, I think it’s time to understand what censorship really is and realize not everything is censorship. Do you believe GAF and other forums promote censorship and why/why not? Lots of people have been banned/warned of stuff that not even Twitter or Facebook bans people for on these forums. Where do you draw the line at censorship? Also remember these are privately owned forums. Getting banned for breaking TOS is not censorship.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
What is this thread suppose to be? Are you planning to storm GAF HQ?

You should direct your energy to cause worthwhile:

Last edited:

tillbot8

Aug 4, 2020
I think in the light of what is happening with the current bans across social media, I think it’s time to understand what censorship really is and realize not everything is censorship. Do you believe GAF and other forums promote censorship and why/why not? Lots of people have been banned/warned of stuff that not even Twitter or Facebook bans people for on these forums. Where do you draw the line at censorship? Also remember these are privately owned forums. Getting banned for breaking TOS is not censorship.
Your recent posts make this thread laughable to take you at face value! Embarrassing.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Jan 24, 2015
No need to cuz I'm pretty sure the hosting company is loving the revenue Gaf gold brings

tillbot8

Aug 4, 2020
Are you going to discuss the thread or me?
You thread policing on the basis on providing valid opinion.That is so rich I think I just got diabetes. I answered your pitiful authoritarian veil of private company endeavour, and you didn't respond. You just ran off and made, well whatever the fuck this thread is?

Reactions: desertdroog

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

May I now direct you to an example of what you're going through, but on a scale much, much worse:

CGiRanger

Jun 23, 2017
There is a difference between a platform and a forum.

Big social media sites have become the modern town square and should be treated as such.

GAF is not and can make its own decisions.
I guess for me I think of places like the big social media "Networks" as town squares or even newspapers.

Places like GAF I'd consider more as a club, or an old tavern :D

LOLCats

Sep 5, 2013
What is this thread suppose to be? Are you planning to storm GAF HQ?

You should direct your energy to cause worthwhile:
planning.... i'm in EviLore EviLore 's living room right now. i Naruto run right through front door. no cops anywhere.

B-universe

Banned
Mar 23, 2020

No, it is not censorship, in the strict sense that the state is not involved.

Private businesses have the right to conduct their operations as they desire, as long as no rights are being violated. Nobody is owed a share of the IT infrastructure Tweeter or Facebook have paid for, maintained and developed from their own pockets. It's theirs and therefore theirs to offer or deny to anyone they choose.

Another issue is whether their claims of political and ideological impartiality hold any water. They do not. They are acting on behalf of a certain segment of the mainstream left.

Businesses have the right to deny service to anyone, for whatever reason. In turn, people have the right to boycott them. So a bakery indeed has the right not to bake a wedding cake and I have the right to then take my money elsewhere.

The answer is people coming together to create alternatives to these platforms which are de facto now their political adversaries actively working against their interests.

CGiRanger

Jun 23, 2017
The answer is people coming together to create alternatives to these platforms which are de facto now their political adversaries actively working against their interests.
The problem is currently the big corporate powers hold all the power to control these as well. Look at how much Apple and Google now are flexing against Parlor. Not to mention they have endless amounts of wealth and government backing to throw at any platform that threatens their controls.

I fully agree that you have the answer, but achieving it is going up against a tall tidal wave.

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
You thread policing on the basis on providing valid opinion.That is so rich I think I just got diabetes. I answered your pitiful authoritarian veil of private company endeavour, and you didn't respond. You just ran off and made, well whatever the fuck this thread is?
What are you talking about lol? Please explain...

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
What a strange argument.

"You use neogaf, so you can't object to corporate donors of a political party explicitly denying service to their political opponents who haven't broken TOS?"

What is censorship to you E e&e , so when they finally reach that point, we can call out your bullshit?

CGiRanger

Jun 23, 2017
Twitter literally has terrorist recruitment, hordes of pedophiles, adults soliciting teenagers, and all other type of messed up shit.

So it's not a hard contest to win.
Facebook too. The only reason they don't get scrutiny is because they've bought enough politicians. Or their employees work within their campaigns

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2009
Do my Senators, Representatives, and Presidents use GAF to communicate to me? Nope.

Are webhosts threatening to take GAF offline?

Are payment processors preventing people from buying GAF Gold?

Are Banks threatening to close Evilore’s accounts?

Are people going through other people’s social media history primarily to get them banned on GAF?

Are employers using GAF to fire their employees?

Authoritarian Leftists aren’t sending their smartest to GAF.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
You really need to state your definition of "censorship" more clearly so that everyone responding to you is on the same page.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
GAF is more transparent than Facebook or Twitter about their bans and they listen to our opinions on bans. They also don't ban people simply for holding the wrong political views or for conspiracy theories.
Fringe views, hateful ideologies, and nuthouse conspiracy theories aren't welcome. Liberals, Conservatives, Libertarians, etc. are welcome. Some temporary concessions had been made due to the POTUS personally leading many Americans on with what would otherwise be fringe lunacy, as it's relevant to broader political discussion, but that's over. It's time to exist in reality.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Jan 24, 2015
Do my Senators, Representatives, and Presidents use GAF to communicate to me? Nope.

Are webhosts threatening to take GAF offline?

Are payment processors preventing people from buying GAF Gold?

Are Banks threatening to close Evilore’s accounts?

Are people going through other people’s social media history primarily to get them banned on GAF?

Are employers using GAF to fire their employees?

Authoritarian Leftists aren’t sending their smartest to GAF.
Its more like Tyler is made out of Teflon.

spandexmonkey

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Memphis, TN
The real question is how much longer until Gaf's hosts and financial services begin to exert the same level of moderation requirements as Google/Apple are applying to Parler. Are we eventually looking at China style: "You must have google certified moderators in order to keep your site up and running"

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
The real question is how much longer until Gaf's hosts and financial services begin to exert the same level of moderation requirements as Google/Apple are applying to Parler. Are we eventually looking at China style: "You must have google certified moderators in order to keep your site up and running"
Probably a year or two away.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Context and nuance are so hard for the ideologues it seems.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019
Fringe views, hateful ideologies, and nuthouse conspiracy theories aren't welcome. Liberals, Conservatives, Libertarians, etc. are welcome. Some temporary concessions had been made due to the POTUS personally leading many Americans on with what would otherwise be fringe lunacy, as it's relevant to broader political discussion, but that's over. It's time to exist in reality.

Yeah, I love realities that ignore evidence. You can pretend everything's peachy and even try and force us to pretend with you, it doesn't make you right, it makes you the same sort of coward running all these other tech sites.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Social media networks that are largely used today to spread information are not the same as a smaller gaming forum.

• Fire
Reactions: CatLady

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oct 12, 2012
Are you asking a moderator to ban you for just having a different political opinion? If GAF is worse, why can you still post comments? Come to think of it, if Trump was a dictator, why didn't he do what Boden's administration is doing and get big tech to ban Republicans for having different political views? For Hitler, he missed a trick didn't he.

It doesn't add up and deep down you people know it. You are the bad guys.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dargor

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020
No, it is not censorship, in the strict sense that the state is not involved.

Private businesses have the right to conduct their operations as they desire, as long as no rights are being violated. Nobody is owed a share of the IT infrastructure Tweeter or Facebook have paid for, maintained and developed from their own pockets. It's theirs and therefore theirs to offer or deny to anyone they choose.

Another issue is whether their claims of political and ideological impartiality hold any water. They do not. They are acting on behalf of a certain segment of the mainstream left.

Businesses have the right to deny service to anyone, for whatever reason. In turn, people have the right to boycott them. So a bakery indeed has the right not to bake a wedding cake and I have the right to then take my money elsewhere.

this should mean other governments can block these social media sites without complaints of restrictions on free speech. like Egypt, Hungry and Brazil.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: NeilH1982

NeilH1982

Jul 9, 2019
Are you asking a moderator to ban you for just having a different political opinion? If GAF is worse, why can you still post comments? Come to think of it, if Trump was a dictator, why didn't he do what Boden's administration is doing and get big tech to ban Republicans for having different political views? For Hitler, he missed a trick didn't he.

We're all the bad guys though

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020
The problem is currently the big corporate powers hold all the power to control these as well. Look at how much Apple and Google now are flexing against Parlor. Not to mention they have endless amounts of wealth and government backing to throw at any platform that threatens their controls.

I fully agree that you have the answer, but achieving it is going up against a tall tidal wave.

that's a challenge not a problem. yes it requires a lot of work, but it can be done. those who don't have the fortitude to complete such tasks shouldn't bother with politics then.

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020
I hope politics become boring again. It was so much nicer when only the adults cared or commented on them. Populism is bad for democracy.

A lot of people have been dragged into it even though they hardly ever cared. because politics has been creeping into the personal lives of people more and more. when new people suddenly come into politics they will be vulnerable to sensationalism.

Peggies

Jan 7, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

That's just a weird reply in a discussion forum.

Reactions: Stiflers Mom

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Apr 27, 2012

Seeing what happened three days ago, I think he just likes to read other pages out of that playbook.
Read up about the rise of the NSDAP and the involvement of the SA.

You people are just his useful idiots for the moment. He doesn't give a shit about you and won't be interested in you the day he is done with politics, like he didn't give a shit all the 70 years before.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oct 12, 2012
Seeing what happened three days ago, I think he just likes to read other pages out of that playbook.
Read up about the rise of the NSDAP and the involvement of the SA.

You people are just his useful idiots for the moment. He doesn't give a shit about you and won't be interested in you the day he is done with politics, like he didn't give a shit all the 70 years before.
Who Trump? Well, who knows eh? I'm for freedom of speech and it doesn't really require Trump to be in the picture for me to hold onto my values.

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
GAF is more transparent than Facebook or Twitter about their bans and they listen to our opinions on bans. They also don't ban people simply for holding the wrong political views or for conspiracy theories.
Um, what happened here? It’s surreal that I come back reading this post and now banned? For what reason?

Edit:

Take care.
👍🏾

Whelp. Unfortunately the poster was attacking everyone about the conspiracies. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Um, what happened here? It’s surreal that I come back reading this post and now banned? For what reason?

Last edited: