• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf audiophiles, recommend me a ps5 headset!

Patrick S.

Banned
I have the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. Super super happy with them. When I try my son's Razer gaming headset after using the Audio Technica, it's like someone is pooping into my ears.

I have super expensive audio stuff, and I prefer the Pulse 3D for gaming.

Music gear wont necessarily be great for gaming audio.

I have super expensive audio stuff, and I prefer the Pulse 3D for gaming.

Music gear wont necessarily be great for gaming audio.
Expensive =/= good. Some of the expensive stuff like Bose for instance, sucks ass when you compare it to cheaper and better stuff. Marketing goes a long way.

Music gear will %1000 be great for gaming. You might have a preference for V-curved audio, like the pulse 3D headset, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Last edited:
lol, I opened up a can o worms here. I think I'm gonna start on the cheaper end and go up if it isn't what I'm looking for. I may be totally happy with Sony's 3d pulse. A coworker suggested the SS Arctis 7 as another alternative.
I'll try wireless first, and move on up the chain if I'm not satisfied with the results.

small_law

You have opened a can of worms my friend.

I have audio technica ATH-G1's. They're wired, but there's a wireless version, ATH-G1WL. As far as gaming headsets go, they're great.

But you can do way better if you get a dedicated set of great headphones and pair them with a microphone. The one I have is the ATGM2 and that can go on either my M70X's or my R70X's. The M70X's get a lot of hate, but in terms of clarity and detail, it's going to be real hard for you to do better from a set of closed back headphones at the $350 price point.

Note that I said closed back. Open back headphones, which don't seal off the area behind the driver, tend to have better sound staging, but let more noise in. They don't isolate as well as close back headphones. It becomes personal preference.

The only other thing I'll suggest is making sure the headphones you get can be powered with how you're going to hook it up. My R70X's need an amp, so plugging them into the controller with the microphone I suggested is out of the question. M70X's can be powered right off the controller.

My setup is really strange because I've managed to wire in a GoXLR to the PS5. I can actually hijack the microphone channel in PlayStation parties and force feed my friends bullshit from my PC.

In summary, there are good gaming headsets, but you're going to do way better finding a great set of headphones and attaching a detachable mic. If you have a tolerance for wires, this won't be that hard.

bought pulse headset today.
chiv 2 , is like being in a fkin battlefield , awesome investment for money , and the sound , really is amazingly spacious and gives proper 3d effect to ears, like being in the game.

very light , and just get your ears into the game , as much as the eyes.. highly recommended.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
bought pulse headset today.
chiv 2 , is like being in a fkin battlefield , awesome investment for money , and the sound , really is amazingly spacious and gives proper 3d effect to ears, like being in the game.

very light , and just get your ears into the game , as much as the eyes.. highly recommended.
I agree. Got Pulse 3d since february. I use it for ps5 and pc.
My fiio e10k and "real" headphones are in the basement now.
Wireless, sounds amazing (yes, for music too!), great sound stage and positioning. Good comfort too. Average batter life but at least there is usb c.
On pc the dongle just works, mic too. Highly recommend

I agree. Got Pulse 3d since february. I use it for ps5 and pc.
My fiio e10k and "real" headphones are in the basement now.
Wireless, sounds amazing (yes, for music too!), great sound stage and positioning. Good comfort too. Average batter life but at least there is usb c.
On pc the dongle just works, mic too. Highly recommend
the positioning image of the 3d is staggering imo , just amazing , brought a rush when i first put them on and a smile at small details , very happy , for price?? 10/10

Returnal and Demons SOuls ?! fucking wtf so good
dem games i have still yet to acquire , tbh. can imagine the dungeon shit , sounding amazing... man , ace combat , is good , man so glad i bought dem , proper zoned up now lol , ducking and diving on chair(thank goodness they are wireless lol) like a swords gonna take head off on chiv 2 haha.

how they created a set of headphones, and a sound field magic, that defined, that good , to make it sound so spacious , like having a home theatre on head... is dr who tardis shit.

nice one sony , want the hta9s for front room in future. they look fkin awesome.

GrayDock

Bought a pulse 3d this week and although it's not that confortable to use with glasses, which is true with almost any headphone, the 3D plane sound is amazing with PS5 games. Astrobot alone is worth checking out.
Sony says that you can get 3D with any headphone connected to the Dualsense, which is kind of true, but the effect is on another level with the pulse.
But for PS4 games they're just ok.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Since Bluetooth and built in mics headsets feel ancient and are likely to get broke. I would get a bose or skull candy though. Impressed by those companies.

jaysius

Banned
Philips Fidelio x2hr are pure joy, they make music sound great, and can be driven by even the crappy controller without any real loss of sound. They're wired, but do you want audio quality or wireless?

They're not super comfy at first, but when they wear in they're awesome, you'll even forget that you're wearing them.

Top Bottom