• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, did the latest PS5 update make your controllers useless without updating them?

Boss Mog

They probably want everybody to install the update since it "fixes" the stick drift. I had two dual senses that were affected, one severe (had to stop using it completely) and one that was just starting but getting worse. The update "fixed" both of them and can use them to play normally again. I used quotes when i say "fixed" because software can't fix a hardware issue, but it can help in sidestepping the issue which is what I suspect happened here. the update most likely only widened the dead zone.

skit_data

I always update mine whenever there’s a prompt, it takes like 10 seconds. No biggie.

Edit: Btw, are you using a proper data transfer USB cable? Sometimes I mix mine up with the regular charging ones. Might be worth finding the original cable if that’s the case.

Last edited:

dezzy8

It without question took you far longer and far more effort to get butthurt, decide that you were going to vent your frustrations online, and then post than it would have been to just spend the 10 seconds per controller to update them.

Is that laziness or something else..?
Lol. I’m weak.

Three

That's dodgy as fuck lol.

You must download this software, it is mandatory, keep calm there is no issue. You must love Big Brother Sony.
It's likely because they changed how the PS5 communicates with the dualsense in a PS5 firmware update so the controller update was mandatory for it to continue to operate. There is nothing dodgy as fuck or Big Brother about that. Jesus people losing their shit over a controller update.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It takes like 10 seconds, why would you not just do it? I always do it right away when it tells me to. Those updates happen for a reason.

mhirano

One week later the OP will be posting
“Why does my DualSense lose connection when I turn in the microwave?”

The console, sure. Just not the controllers. It never really was an issue, you would just press update later and it'd let you through so I never got around to it. This thread was to ask what changed, I even said earlier that I updated the controllers and this thread was for curiosity's sake. The fat and lazy memes are funny tho so I don't mind.

The whole idea of having to update a controller in order to use it, otherwise its a brick is stupid to me, yes. Regardless if they communicate it or not. So I was wondering what triggered such a stance as none of my consoles ever had anythin
The console, sure. Just not the controllers. It never really was an issue, you would just press update later and it'd let you through so I never got around to it. This thread was to ask what changed, I even said earlier that I updated the controllers and this thread was for curiosity's sake. The fat and lazy memes are funny tho so I don't mind.

The whole idea of having to update a controller in order to use it, otherwise its a brick is stupid to me, yes. Regardless if they communicate it or not. So I was wondering what triggered such a stance as none of my consoles ever had anything like that.
you could solve your problem on an easy way, you did not need a gamingforum to ask. Google is your best friend. A quick Google search an i found several solutions for your problem😉

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
It is not the restaurant issue for giving me poisons food. My stomach is to blame.
giphy.gif

[Sigma]

Imagine being so fucking lazy you can't even move your fat ass to plug in a USB c to update your controller. The peak of procrastinating.
Yep, op's the type of dude circling around the parking lot at Walmart 20 times trying to get a parking spot up front.
stop-it-get-some-help.gif
It's like park in the back and walk your fat ass up there.

Last edited:

Three

I have a question,

Why do we have to update controllers?! What does it do?
It sucks that we never get much changelog information for controller updates. If past tidbits of info from the xbox insider program is anything to go by some possible things controller updates can do is fix bugs, like your console turning on when plugged into a charging station or add features like remembering two paired devices. Controllers aren't as simple as they used to be.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It without question took you far longer and far more effort to get butthurt, decide that you were going to vent your frustrations online, and then post than it would have been to just spend the 10 seconds per controller to update them.

But what if you don't have internet to update your controller with? For reasons... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously @ Sleepwalker Sleepwalker , I'll say the new thing with the controller firmware updates makes me chuckle every time it comes up. I've updated my series controller a couple of times already. I wonder what on earth they could actually be doing there.

Sleepwalker

But what if you don't have internet to update your controller with? For reasons... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously @ Sleepwalker Sleepwalker , I'll say the new thing with the controller firmware updates makes me chuckle every time it comes up. I've updated my series controller a couple of times already. I wonder what on earth they could actually be doing there.

I truly don't get the animosity, haven't insulted anybody and I'm not mad that I have to update my controllers, I found it interesting that if you have a controller on firmware "1.0" or old enough it no longer works with a fully updated PS5 unless it's updated. Apparently that makes me fat, lazy, someone who circles around the walmart parking lot (never been to a walmart in my life lmao) and someone who microwaves controllers. 😳

And yeah honestly no clue what they do with the updates.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Warablo

I press no update. It Log me out automatic, I choose my avatar and press X. Keep playing normally. This for 2 weeks or more.

Too lazy to usb c it 😂
Surprised you don't have a plug constantly plugged in for how short the battery life is on Sony controllers.

Comandr

phoenix wright GIF

Video Game Reaction GIF by CAPCOM

If you didn’t have internet to update your controllers, then your PlayStation wouldn’t be getting regular updates either! Without the PlayStation getting updated, it would never harass you about the controllers in the first place!

Three

phoenix wright GIF

Video Game Reaction GIF by CAPCOM

If you didn’t have internet to update your controllers, then your PlayStation wouldn’t be getting regular updates either! Without the PlayStation getting updated, it would never harass you about the controllers in the first place!
Exactly the controller updates are pushed from the console, not directly from the internet. I think it was a joke though.

Last edited:

aclar00

They probably want everybody to install the update since it "fixes" the stick drift. I had two dual senses that were affected, one severe (had to stop using it completely) and one that was just starting but getting worse. The update "fixed" both of them and can use them to play normally again. I used quotes when i say "fixed" because software can't fix a hardware issue, but it can help in sidestepping the issue which is what I suspect happened here. the update most likely only widened the dead zone.

Same happen to me...controller updates seemed to be much more frequent than the console and i couldnt be bothered to hook them up. Most times i game its for no more than 30 minutes...and thag extra minute, especially after already sitting down seemed like a long time, so i just skipped.

i only updated because i was playing with someone else, otherwise i would have just powered it off. Then again, im not really playing anything actively, so its largely why i didnt care.

Three

I use the ps5 control charger dock.
Btw that would be a good idea. Update them by the dock , now we are rich 🤑
Nice idea but would only work if the dock was connected to the console. Current official dock has only power and no data connection, on the plus side that means it's near my couch plugged into the mains rather than near my TV away from me.

This type of defeatist mentality is not good when dealing with corporations who don't have your best interest. You should be asking why they want you to update so badly and what it does.

It's not stupid at all. It's how electronics have worked for more than a decade now
Yes its true time is moving on, whe have to update most devices, your phone your tablet, PC your console, heck even you TV gets software updates.
Go with the flow ore live your life like your granddad that is moving his mouse on the monitor instead on the mousepad.😂

Last edited:

Comandr

This type of defeatist mentality is not good when dealing with corporations who don't have your best interest. You should be asking why they want you to update so badly and what it does.
You’re looking at this the wrong way. What sinister intentions could they possibly have by making you update your controllers? Big Brother Sony isn’t quietly updating the firmware to collect DNA samples from your sweaty hands.

Let’s examine the facts. The dual sense controller is a fairly complicated piece of hardware with a lot of unique functions that work wirelessly with the console. These same features DO NOT work on PC wirelessly. You have to plug in. Why? It’s very likely a driver issue.

So that brings us to the controller updates. It’s likely that when Sony updates the console, it updates the drivers for connectivity or to resolve any weird issues that people may be experiencing. When the console is updated, the controllers have to be updated in turn to match and connect. This is why you can’t update wirelessly.

It could also be a form of copy protection. By continuously updating the controller firmware for connectivity, it prevents third parties from reverse engineering the controller and selling cheaper DUELSENSOR controllers.

There’s also a lot of goofy techniques used in development to make shit work. The Ocarina of Time skybox is a great example of this. There could just be some dumb quirk with the way the ps5 software is designed that makes you have to update the controllers to a matching version or at least a range of versions to keep them compatible.

If you don’t trust the process, don’t be involved.

yamaci17

Dualsense updates make 100x more sense than any other gamepad
It does not have traditional rumble motors, it tries to emulate them
And they still couldn't capture the original rumble effect, and at this point I believe they will never be able to match the exact same feeling.
But a more, improved version of rumble emulation is always welcome. Initial stock gamepad was horrible. They fixed it a bit with a recent update. So I welcome these updates with open arms, because I play alot of emulated old games and old games in general where traditional rumble is used. I still miss my dualshock but I'm sure improvements can be made

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Oh, that's what was going on.

Was getting prompts on both to update my controller but couldn't find a cable so I was ignoring. Went to play some coop with my kid and one worked and the other wouldn't without the update so I went out and bought a cable.

With the other guy. Let me update wirelessly.

Top Bottom