• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Media GAF Film Club |OT| You Have To Watch

Rock And Roll

Sep 28, 2014
Watched La La Land last night. I've always been a fan of the golden age of hollywood/the jazz era. Never been much of a musical guy however.

That being said, I enjoyed the film even though the story was pretty tame and predictable. What truly set this movie apart was the cinematography and the soundtrack. It looked fantastic and the visual creativity during Seb's last solo was captivating. Gosling and Stone were both pretty good in it as well.

I give it a solid 7/10. Not quite as good as it was made out to be but still enjoyable nonetheless.

mekes

Jun 30, 2013
London, UK
Gemini Man
Trailer

It has been a little while since I’ve enjoyed a Will Smith movie. I wanted to watch this movie more because it is directed by Ang Lee who usually has an eye for really good shots in his films. He can sometimes make a movie if the actors themselves end up disappointing. Thankfully it’s a pretty fun and interesting film, with great direction and a perfect length. It won’t win any big awards but it should entertain most who watch it. Will Smith was enjoyable and added to the film which is something I don’t take for granted anymore. Only down point would be the CGI on younger Will Smith. It is not consistent and some shots look remarkably better than others. It pulls you a little out of the enjoyment, but not so much that you lose enthusiasm for the story. Im happy I saw it and recommend it for those looking for a lighter hearted action movie.

👍

Kadayi

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Joker

I wasn't entirely sure about seeing this, but I figured with all the recent talk of its box office success I should give it a shot. Have to say standout performance from Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck/Joker. This isn't the first time he's played a disturbed individual (and it's fair to say he's had a bit of a career at it) but this definitely felt very distinct from his turns in The Master or the more recent You were never really here where he played similarly dysfunctional loners. Certainly not an easy watch though in many ways because there's a slow car crash nature to Arthur Flecks unravelling, and the how Director Phillips allows the film to linger upon moments of uncomfortableness. Cinemaphotography was top notch and the scene of Phoenix just transforming into his joker persona on the steps was absolute diamond.

My only real criticism would perhaps be the casting of De Niro as Murray Franklin, not because De Niro was bad in the role (far from it), just because its clear the film owes Taxi Driver a great deal of inspiration and seeing the star of that kind of took me out of it. Small quibble though. Top film 10/10

Last edited:
Reactions: kiiltz

Tenaciousmo

May 10, 2018
Montreal, Canada
I just finished Watching it too!

Gemini Man (2019)

Entertaining movie about a trained hitman who's going to retire BUT...
He's told by some old contact of his that his last hit was not what it seems, soon after he's hunted by ninja wannabes, kills his way out. Big boss Will is now faced by solid Will.
good action movie that I will vaguely remember watching as the movie that will smith fight CGI will smith. There is some uncanny valley going on when they fight and some other animation as said before. I was thoroughly entertained by this above average action movie.

Last edited:

SirKicksalot

Jan 9, 2018
All of you should have watched it in HFR, it was amazing.

I rewatched Braveheart and The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc for the first time in like 20 years. It's hard to choose a favourite.
Joan of Arc is more interesting, by far: it has a weird story, a batshit insane main character, weird secondary characters and fantastic visuals and sound. I believe this movie was poorly reviewed just because it subverted expectations. It's extremely uncomfortable.
Braveheart is, well, Braveheart. Can't say anything bad about it. Manly as fuck.
...but it's not as interesting.

Reactions: Kadayi

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
All of you should have watched it in HFR, it was amazing.

I rewatched Braveheart and The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc for the first time in like 20 years. It's hard to choose a favourite.
Joan of Arc is more interesting, by far: it has a weird story, a batshit insane main character, weird secondary characters and fantastic visuals and sound. I believe this movie was poorly reviewed just because it subverted expectations. It's extremely uncomfortable.
Braveheart is, well, Braveheart. Can't say anything bad about it. Manly as fuck.
...but it's not as interesting.
I give The Messenger props for how brutal it is, it has some of realest depictions of medieval combat ever in a movie.

Nothing is romanticized, I love how honest the movie is with it's portrayal of medieval combat being clumsy often times. The siege warfare stuff is pretty great to, trebuchets, burning pitch, siege ladders. It's all mostly practical effects as well so the movie still looks great.

The movie does have general French weirdness to it though. Plus I think Jovovich was kind of miscast and the only reason she got the role was because she was married to Besson at the time.

Kadayi

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Credit where credit is due both Pitt and Decaprio were pretty engaging in this film in terms of performances, but I think unfortunately beyond that the film falls down the Tarantino rabbit hole of referential indulgence coupled with Hollywood yesteryear reverence (which will undoubtedly go down well when it comes to awards season) I can't fault the production (it looks spectacular) but it feels to me that a precursor to going in is already having some foreknowledge as to who Sharron Tate is as well as what occurred with the Manson family and its many members. Certainly not his worst film (I think Deathproof has that all sewn up) but a languid meander that feels like it more about old Hollywood name dropping than anything else. 6/10

Last edited:

mekes

Jun 30, 2013
London, UK
I agree. I felt the film had some great moments but I do wish it was much more expansive in its storytelling. It wasn’t until the end credits rolled that I realised what story the film was trying to tell. It could have been an amazing film but ended up being too limited in its scope for me. Which was a real shame as I really enjoyed the characters as soon as they had an interesting scene to work in.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Kadayi

SirKicksalot

Jan 9, 2018
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

The extended edition has even more of Alan Rickman's transcendental acting. One of the best and funniest villains of all time. Michael Wincott as Guy de Gisborne is a masterful medieval douchebag and Morgan Freeman is at his wisest. As for Robin and the rest, who cares lol

There's some really inspired moviemaking on display. The extended edition restores one particularly impressive stunt. It's all very nice and clever - creative shots like the arrowcam are rarely seen in action movies today. The Sheriff is basically the star of his own mad little movie, full of visual gags and oddities.
This is probably the only time modern comedy worked in a historical movie. My sides were often catapulted straight to orbit. Also has a top tier F-bomb.
No wonder this was the second biggest movie of 1991, after Terminator 2.
It seems it was a big inspiration for that Crusade script Verhoeven and Arnold almost filmed.

mekes

Jun 30, 2013
London, UK
Ad Astra

Space Sci-fi is my thing. I wish I’d have seen this in the cinema but for some reason I just let it pass. I went in pretty blind beyond understanding it’s a space movie with Brad Pitt. I love the way the story was told, almost like a picture book style of letting the scenes tell the story with a little narration to help out. It’s a very visually interesting film without ever going too far with the effects, probably my favourite space based movie in that regard. I would put it up with Prometheus in terms of attention to detail.

The story is interesting all the way through. A few liberties taken along the way but those are kept on the minor side given the genre. I won’t say anything else on the story. If you like space movies, it’s a good one! I really enjoyed it.

Last edited: