• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media GAF Film Club |OT| You Have To Watch

mekes

Jun 30, 2013
London, UK
If you want a similar experience then may I suggest Coherence (2013)? Another film that centers around a dinner but the sense of dread hangs throughout. The only difference is the addition of Sci-Fi although the film is still character-centric.
When I saw the name I thought I had seen that. I watched the trailer just to jog my memory and I haven’t seen it. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Reactions: plushyp

Tenaciousmo

May 10, 2018
Montreal, Canada

Gretel & Hansel - 2020
You know the story. except in this one the girl is much older than the boy and the mother kick them out.

First of all, the cinematography by itself makes it worth the watch. I would advise watching without the subtitles. while i knew what that person was if uninitiated to the story seeing the subtitle saying WITCH: "something something" from a suspiciously crone-looking woman was kind of irritating.

movie looks 11/10, movie itself is a 5 or 6. you won't be sad that you saw it, but those scenes look way too good not to recommend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rock And Roll

Tenaciousmo

May 10, 2018
Montreal, Canada

Dead or Alive: Hanzaisha (1999)

Yakuza movie by Takashi Miike
You follow separately a morally ambiguous cop with a daughter needing a costly medical procedure and a group of chinese yakuza who are totally not gonna meet.

This movie is worth everybody's attention by it's ending alone. it goes to crazy places during the whole movie, it has incredibly satisfiying bizarre and violent action and some very fucked up parts too. - not for the squeamish, nor safe for work, unless you're a bastard like me and don't really care about possible consequences -

kamehameha/10, A must watch.

Rock And Roll

Sep 28, 2014
Watched a few films over the past couple weeks and I finally have time to give my impressions

Looking Glass (2018)

Browsing mindlessly through films and I decided on this because it has Nicolas Cage and that's all the reason I need. From the start you can tell this is going to be a serious Nicolas Cage role, the gritty title cards and opening scenes really set the tone. Nicolas Cage and his wife need to make a drastic life change after the death of their child so they move out to the desert to run a motel. It's a pretty small cast and set, almost like the movie would work as a stage play. There's some mystery and suspense to the film, but it never ends up paying off nor does it make any sense. However it does have Nicolas Cage watching a couple of ladies engage in BDSM and you get to watch him get drunk and dance a bit. It's a stoic, reserved Nicolas Cage role so there aren't many laughs, but if you're bored and want to watch Cage whack off as a peeping Tom it might be worth it,

4/10

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977)

I don't know if I ever saw this movie as a kid but I have no recollection of it. I don't think it holds up all that well, I found it to be a bit boring and overly long. The story and characters aren't really all that compelling. I'm going to assume it was the visuals and special effects was the main selling point behind this film. It still has a charm to it but I wasn't too enthralled by watching this.

5/10

A Million Ways To Die In The West (2014)

I'm not a big Seth McFarlane fan so I had no expectations for this going in. Mainly watching for Charlize Theron because you know, she's hotter than a two dollar pistol. But I actually ended up enjoying this movie. The jokes were pretty good and most of them land pretty well. Seth, Neil Patrick Harris and Sarah Silverman are all hilarious. Liam Neeson shows up for a bit and does his thing. Visually they did a pretty good job also, it's a comedy but also a western, so good cinematography is essential in any western and I think they put a lot of effort into making sure the film looked nice. I would recommend this if you haven't seen it already and are in the mood for a comedy, it's a funny dick, fart and poop movie.

7/10

Reactions: Tenaciousmo

Tenaciousmo

May 10, 2018
Montreal, Canada

The Time Machine (2002)

Time traveling movie about a guy who invents a time traveling machine in a week because his girlfriend dies and he wants to save her i guess.

except it goes to terminator land, Pocahontas' hidden village and Mordor/ evil Saruman era Isengard, NOW WITH JEDI™.

The movie feels all over the place, feels like it does not quite understand time travel.
The fact that the guy invented time travel in the late 1800s/ early 1900 and no one else in history has is jarring, especially when thinking that he just disappeared and left all the blueprints and science stuff behind...
that is one out of the many things that you're not supposed to think about.

I think i am not part of the targeted audience. If it was my first ever time traveling media. maybe i wouldn't have thought of the fact that he is going to the same place he went in the past yet never meets himself. never uses the time machine more than once per setting ...

2/5 movie can still be enjoyed but left me deeply dissatisfied. could be suitable for children I guess.

Reactions: Rock And Roll