• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF FOTY 2014-Fail Of The Year-Results- Winner of the 2014 shit sandwich goes to...

Fjordson

Haven't kept up with the GamerGate stuff so I'm not totally sure what it actually is, but wow @ those tweets in the op. Gross.

Smash88

Banned
GamerGate set a worse one.

They're both pretty bad, I just feel something that could potentially ruin or cause this entertainment industry as a whole to stagnate or outright go bust (albeit if this becomes the norm - and over a long period of time) could have bigger ramifications. It's almost like the movie industry releasing unfinished or broken movies to theaters and expecting people to continue watching them.

Broken games are worse than death or rape threats now?

Please do not put words in my mouth. Take your passive aggressive behaviour elsewhere.

What the fuck even is gamergate?

I went into that thread and I still have no clue.

It's whatever you want it to be, ultimately. I've talked to a fair share of people on Twitter that boasted the hashtag, and all of them seemed to have different opinions on what it does & does not cover.

Toxi

Banned
They're both pretty bad, I just feel something that could potentially ruin or cause this entertainment industry to stagnate could have bigger ramifications. It's almost like the movie industry releasing unfinished or broken movies to theaters and expecting people to continue watching them.
I don't see the trend continuing as hard as it did this year; consumers have a certain point where they snap. Ubisoft saw it with Assassin Creed Unity's sales. 343i is definitely under the magnifying glass for Halo 5.

MormaPope

Banned
What the fuck even is gamergate?

I went into that thread and I still have no clue.

Simple gossip story revolving a woman indie dev is told, gets twisted by people that either wanted to fuck with people or were actually phased by that gossip story, tons of people show their misogynistic cards, some game publications ask what the fuck is wrong with some of you misogynistic people, non misogynistic people talk amongst each other about the elements of misogyny, in the end nothing is really accomplished, bigoted assholes will be bigoted assholes, everyone else says how much those people suck, both sides loathe each other.

Misogynistic people made rape threats, death threats, stalked people, potentially stalked people, bomb threats, basically the most childish and annoying people around.

Smash88

Banned
I don't see the trend continuing as hard as it did this year; consumers have a certain point where they snap. Ubisoft saw it with Assassin Creed 4's sales.

I want to believe you, I really do, but after seeing the mass majority buy into the Call of Duty series time and time again with little to no change; it makes it hard for me to agree with your point despite it being a hopeful and just.

People will forget about AC by tomorrow, at least the average consumer will. As for Halo 5, look at the GAF thread on it, people are hyped up and ready to throw their wallets at it. You have to remember we are a very niche board, where only the hardcore of gamers come to discuss and debate about gaming related issues, our views are literally that of the 1%.

Call of Duty hasn't recently had a broken game to my knowledge. Not really comparable.

Call of Duty: Ghosts, IIRC, was a pretty terrible CoD - yet here we are a year later and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is booming. They did add a slightly fresh take on the formula, but the core of CoD has been unchanged since MW1.

Toxi

Banned
I want to believe you, I really do, but after seeing the mass majority buy into the Call of Duty series time and time again with little to no change; it makes it hard for me to agree with your point despite it being a hopeful and just.
Call of Duty hasn't recently had a broken game to my knowledge. Not really comparable.

MormaPope

Banned

The multiplayer for Advanced Warfare was fucked for a couple or few weeks on current gen consoles, tons of posts about it in the official thread, a lot of videos on youtube.

SerRodrik

It's sort of amazing that, in a year with so many full priced games that were broken at launch, there was still no doubt in my mind that gamergate was the worst. That's how bad gamergate was.

Gray Matter

At first I thought gamergate was about the lack of female representation is the video game industry, but apparently it isn't about that at all. I have no clue what the fuck it actually is.

The thing is, Gamergate is longterm bad for the industry, too.

If X is how much money is currently being made, exclusionary-gamers think that's more than enough for publishers. But publishers don't want X - they want X + Y + A + B + C; they're assuming that the industry will expand limitlessly as the definition of gamer either gets bigger to include all people or just stops existing. Then people aren't gamers just like they aren't TV watchers or moviers or readers, it's just a thing people do. That's the publisher dream scenario.

But if it's only just X, then the industry and games themselves will shrink. Because some people don't like Y, A, B, or C in their hobby and will actively cultivate a culture to ensure they know they're not wanted.

Gator86

It's basically:

3d6ndnk69rh7.gif

with rape and death threats

Maybe the most accurate and succinct gamergate description I've seen. Don't forget all the doxxing and the school shooting threat.

MormaPope

Banned
At first I thought gamergate was about the lack of female representation is the video game industry, but apparently it isn't about that at all. I have no clue what the fuck it actually is.

Its mainly about how childish, entitled, and stupid a lot of men are when it comes to videogames and life.

Sciz

Couldn't have gone to a more worthy party.

The world is tired of you, GamerGate. Of everything you represent and everything you've caused. And the worst part is that should any of you happen to read this, you'll be proud of that, because there's no slight you can't interpret as being proof of your own self-righteousness. There's no criticism you won't write off as an attack, no advice you'll believe to be anything but poison. So many people have tried to help you, to convince you that the windmills really aren't giants in disguise and to point you towards real evils that you could have done some good against. And in spite of all that, you've kept on tilting at the windmills. Is it any wonder that the rest of the world thinks your goal is to terrify windmill operators?

Adnor

Banned

It basically started as the "quinnspiracy", an attack campaign against Zoe Quinn because she cheated on her boyfriend with a reporter, so her boyfriend wrote about it on the internet (with a lies and hyperbole to make it "more fun to read") to make 4Chan harass her (saying that the reported made a good review of her game because of this. He never review her game).

Then the harassers decided that attacking one woman wasn't enough, and that the quinnspiracy was "proof enough" that every woman in the industry got their job by having sex with their bosses, so they escalated their attack with Gamergate, saying that it's a campaign for "ethics in videogame journalism" when really it's a mysogonistic attack against women in the industry because they're too scared to have to share their toys with more people.

vesvci

Banned
I didn't really know about Gamergate until last week, and I still don't fully get it.

Glad Ubisoft got a podium visit. They deserve every bit. Halo:MCC was my biggest disappointment this year.

Yrael

Damn, I somehow missed the voting thread.

Well, all I can say is that the winner of the 2014 shit sandwich was certainly well-chosen!

Zomba13

Am i gamergate when i say i really cannot stand Anita Scamkesian?

No you just look like a douche. It's fine not to like her videos and disagree with them but you know, don't be a dick about the thing you don't like, like doing that shit to her name.

Phediuk

Glad to see Gamergate got more votes than everything else put together, as it should have. What a fucking abomination.

Smash88

Banned
No you just look like a douche. It's fine not to like her videos and disagree with them but you know, don't be a dick about the thing you don't like, like doing that shit to her name.

Have you seen what has been thrown around on this very board about Total Biscuit? Despite his views being in the wrong for the most part?

There is a clear double standard. You can't call out one person for doing the exact same thing both sides are doing.

Have you seen what has been thrown around on this very board about Total Biscuit? Despite his views being in the wrong for the most part?

There is a clear double standard. You can't call out one person for doing the exact same thing both sides are doing.

People are not saying what they are just because they don't like his videos, dude.

It's one thing not to like her videos.

It's another to actively try to push her out of the industry because of her vagina.

Wait, what?

post-35884-that-dont-make-no-sense-gif-O-RZSo.gif

Top Bottom