• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it’s that time again -- official voting for the GAF Games of the Year 2011 starts now!
Last year went really well as a collaboration between me and Cheesemeister, so we’re continuing that again this year. If you want to get to voting, the rules are largely the same as last year, with one minor addition that I think you guys will like a lot. If you want to just get to the voting, you can skip to the sample ballot below or read on for a refresher on the rules.

2011 Voting Rules
  1. List up to 10 games, in order from 1 to 10.
  2. Follow the format below (you don’t have to be absolutely perfect)
  3. You can use the nominations list in post #2 to help you remember this year’s games. This list is NOT necessarily comprehensive. Don’t see your favorite game on there? Put it in your list, and we’ll update the games list with your nomination.
  4. You may list Honorable Mentions if you wish to. These must be indicated by a “x.” in your ballot.
  5. Add your thoughts! Put a semicolon (;) after each game and write what you thought. I’ll be using these in the results page like last year. It also results in a voting thread that is a great read for everyone.
  6. NEW! You may vote for ONE (1) game from last year as a “LTTP” type of vote. Did you play a game this year that would have been on your ballot last year if you’d played it on time? You can vote for it by using the number “2010.” Check the LTTP voting rules below.
  7. Non-consecutively numbered entries will not be counted.
  8. Multiple votes for the same title will disqualify your entire ballot.
  9. Each user may only vote once, but you may edit your ballot as often as you like until the deadline.
  10. Want to talk about another poster’s list? Quote it. Any unquoted ballots (those outside a quote block) will overwrite your own previous vote.
  11. Voting Ends January 21st at 11:59pm, PST

LTTP Voting
As indicated above, you may vote for ONE title from 2010 that you wanted to vote for last year but didn’t get a chance to. You must not have voted for this game last year. Important: This game must have appeared on the Nominations List from 2010. Format these picks by using the number “2010.” before your vote. See the sample ballot below for an example.

Sample Ballot
You don’t have to follow this format strictly, but it will make the thread a lot easier and avoid any complications. Thanks!

1. Game A ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Game B ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Game E ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.
x. Game K ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game K.
x. Game L ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game L.

2010. Game M ; Your thoughts on Game M from 2010.

Game Selection
Thanks to the hard work of Cheesemeister, you can list your games pretty freely, as long as you try to avoid confusing abbreviations. If there is an ambiguous title listed, it will not be counted! Use the full name of the game to avoid confusion.
  • Cool: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Skyrim, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
  • Not Cool: TESV, UC3, Zelda (note that there are multiple Zelda games to vote on)

Scoring
Same as last year.

1. Game A ; 4 points
2. Game B ; 3 points
3. Game C ; 3 points
4. Game D ; 2 points
5. Game E ; 2 points
6. Game F ; 2 points
7. Game G ; 1 point
8. Game H ; 1 point
9. Game I ; 1 point
10. Game J ; 1 point
x. Game K ; 0 points
x. Game L ; 0 points

Honorable mentions will not receive points, but they will be tracked, assuming you list them appropriately.
LTTP votes will be counted separately and will each receive 1 point for the LTTP results.

What Games Count?
  • New games released to your region this year (can be retail only or downloable)
  • Voting for imported titles is allowed. If you list an import game, please mention which country you are from. Otherwise I will assume you didn’t read the rules and the vote will not count.
  • Remakes and significant upgrades to games count too.
  • Revisions released for the first time on a console or handheld this year (must be a retail version and not downloadable)
  • Ports that amount to “ROM dumps”, i.e., ports with no additional content or significant changes, are not allowed.
  • Ports that are basically “HD ports” of existing games with no changes besides upscaling the game do not count.
  • New expansion packs to MMOs and other games count, but not the original game unless it too was released in your region this year.
  • If you’re unsure about a game, just ask!
  • Asked about games that are allowed: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Limbo PS3, Minecraft, The Stanley Parable, House of the Dead: Overkill Extended Cut
  • Asked about games that are not allowed: DOTA 2, Diablo 3 beta, Resident Evil 4 HD, Team ICO HD Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, God of War Origins HD Collection

That’s it! Happy voting, everyone!

THIS LIST IS NOT COMPREHENSIVE. If you don't see your favorite game on this list, and if fits the above criteria, vote for it! It will be added to this list.

101-in-1 Sports Party Megamix
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
AFL
Aladdin Magic Racer
Alice: Madness Returns
Aliens: Infestation
Angler's Club: Ultimate Bass Fishing 3D
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel
Arcade 3D
Army Corps of Hell
Asphalt 3D
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Bakugan: Rise of the Resistance
Balloon Pop 2
Bastion
Batman: Arkham City
Battle & Get! Pokémon Typing DS
Battlefield 3
Beastly
Ben 10: Galactic Racing
Bit.Trip Saga
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
Bodycount
Brink
Brunswick Pro Bowling
Bulletstorm
Bust-a-Move Universe
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Captain America: Super Soldier
Cars 2: The Video Game
Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion
Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL
Catherine
Cave Story 3D
Child of Eden
Chuck E. Cheese's Sports Games
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Conduit 2
Corpse Party
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
Crazy Machines
Crysis 2
Cubic Ninja
DanceDance Revolution
Dance Central 2
Dark Souls
DC Universe Online
de Blob 2
Dead Island
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Dead Space 2
Deca Sports Extreme
Dengeki Gakuen RPG: Cross of Venus Special
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
DiRT 3
Disgaea 3 Return
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights
Dragon Age 2
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
Dream Club Zero
Dream Trigger 3D
Driver: Renegade 3D
Driver: San Francisco
Dual Pen Sports
Duke Nukem Forever
Dungeon Siege III
Dynasty Warriors 7
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3
Earth Seeker
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Everybody's Golf 6
ExerBeat: Gym Class Workout
F.E.A.R. 3
F1 2011
Fanboy & ChumChum
Fate/Extra
FIFA 12
Fight Night Champion
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Fit & Fun
Fit in Six
Forza Motorsport 4
Frogger 3D
Frozen Synapse
Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D
Gears of War 3
Gemini Rue
Generator Rex: Agent of Providence
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters
Gummy Bears: Magical Medallion
Gyakuten Kenji 2
Hakuōki Yuugiroku DS
Hakuōki Zuisōroku DS
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Happy Feet Two
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
Hector: Badge of Carnage
Homefront
Hunted: The Demon's Forge
Hyper Fighters
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2
Infamous: Festival of Blood
InFamous 2
James Noir's Hollywood Crimes
Jewel Quest Trilogy
Jikandia: The Timeless Land
Jurassic Park: The Game
Just Dance 3
Just Dance Summer Party
Karaoke Revolution Glee Volume 2
Killzone 3
Kirby Mass Attack
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Knights Contract
Kung Fu Panda 2
L.A. Noire
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Let's Dance With Mel B
LittleBigPlanet 2
Little Deviants
Lord of Apocalypse
Lost in Shadow
Madden NFL 12
Madden NFL Football
Magicka
Mahjong Cub3d
Maid Paradise
Major League Baseball 2K11
Man vs. Wild
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Mario Kart 7
Mario Sports Mix
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
Mass Effect 2
Max and the Magic Marker
Maximum Racing: Drag and Stock Racer
Maximum Racing: GP Classic Racing
Maximum Racing: Rally Racer
Michael Jackson: The Experience
MindJack
Minecraft
MLB 11: The Show
Monster Tale
Mortal Kombat
MotorStorm: Apocalypse
Ms. Splosion Man
MX vs. ATV Alive
Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident
Nano Assault
Naruto Shippuden: Kizuna Drive
Naruto Shippuden: Shinobi Rumble
NASCAR 2011: The Game
National Geographic Challenge!
NBA 2K12
NCAA Football 12
Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed
Need for Speed: The Run
NHL 12
Nintendogs + Cats
No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
Nora to Toki no Kōbō: Kiri no Mori no Majo
Operation Flashpoint: Red River
Orcs Must Die!
Over My Dead Body
Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions
Pandora's Tower
Patapon 3
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
PES 2012: Pro Evolution Soccer
Petz Fantasy 3D
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle
Pilotwings Resort
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
Pirate Blast
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Plants vs. Zombies
Pokemon Black/White
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Portal 2
Powerful Golf
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary
Ra.One: The Game
Rabbids: Travel in Time 3D
RAGE
Ragnarok: The Imperial Princess of Light and Dark
Rango
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Raving Rabbids: Matter of Party 3D
Rayman 3D
Rayman Origins
Reader Rabbit 1st Grade
Reader Rabbit 2nd Grade
Reader Rabbit Kindergarten
Reader Rabbit Preschool
Record of Agarest War Zero
Red Faction: Armageddon
Red Stone DS: Akaki Ishi ni Michibikareshi Monotachi
Reel Fishing Paradise 3D
Remington Super Slam Hunting: Alaska
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Resistance 3
Rhythm Heaven Wii
Ridge Racer 3D
Ridge Racer Vita
Rio
Rise of Nightmares
Rock Band Country Track Pack 2
Rocksmith
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Saints Row The Third
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Shadows of the Damned
Shin Hisui no Shizuku: Hiiro no Kakera 2 DS
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Shinobi
Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs
Sonic Generations
Sora no Otoshimono Forte: Dreamy Season
Soukoku no Kusabi: Hiiro no Kakera 3 DS
Spacechem
Spider-Man: Edge of Time
SpongeBob SquigglePants
Star Fox 64 3D
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Steel Diver
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Super Sentai Battle Ranger Cross
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Survivor
Terraria
Terror of the Stratus
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Tetris: Axis
The $1,000,000 Pyramid
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
The Binding of Isaac
The Black Eyed Peas Experience
The Cursed Crusade
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The First Templar
The Hidden
The King of Fighters XIII
The Last Story
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
The Penguins of Madagascar: Dr. Blowhole Returns Again!
The Red Star
The Sims 3: Pets
The Stanley Parable
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Thor: God of Thunder
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell 3D
Top Shot Arcade
Top Spin 4
Touch My Katamari
Trackmania: Build to Race
Transformers Dark of the Moon: Autobots
Transformers Dark of the Moon: Decepticons
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Treasure Report: Kikai Jikake no Isan
Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll
Two Worlds II
UFC Personal Trainer
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Valkyria Chronicles III
Venetica
Virtua Tennis 4
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Warriors: Legends of Troy
White Knight Chronicles II
Wicked Monsters Blast!
Wii Play Motion
WWE '12
WWE All Stars
Xenoblade Chronicles
Yakuza 4
You Don't Know Jack
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011 Over the Nexus
Zoo Resort 3D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I plan on voting Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Corpse Party but they're not in the list. Both are PSP games. Is that fine?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Can you link to the 2010 voting thread in the OP? I guess it will make things easier for many people.

Will add my list here.

Edit:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; It's definitely one of the best games I've played this gen. What's surprising is that, the game wasn't that buggy on the PC as I expected. Bethesda managed to carve a fantastic world, which had me gripped for a long time.

2. The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings; I loved the first game, so buying this was a no-brainer. And oh boy, I was totally smitten by this game. Not many games force me to spend money to upgrade my PC, but Witcher 2 did, and it was worth every penny. I felt the third Act ended way too early, which is a bit disappointing, but considering you can replay the game and encounter different scenarios nullifies the short third Act.

3. Dark Souls; Again, I loved Demons’ Souls, so getting this game was a big priority. It’s quite expansive than the first game, and features plenty of challenging bosses, but what irked me was the frame rate. It’s so appalling in some places, but I guess it really doesn’t matter as the overall product is quite good and satisfying.

4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution; This was a very cleverly designed game, and I can’t really pick many faults in this. Played it twice, and enjoyed every bit of it. If you want to prove to somebody why gameplay reigns supreme, show them this game.

5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception; I was slightly underwhelmed with the game, but still the overall quality was quite good. I didn’t touch the multiplayer component though, which is disappointing for me, because I loved it in Uncharted 2. Now, the campaign isn’t that consistent as Uncharted 2’s, but it did provide some thrilling moments, especially in the latter half of the game.

6. Gears of War 3; This is how you should make a sequel. Gears of War 3 is better than its predecessors in every way. Lengthy campaign combined with great multiplayer is all you need in a third person shooter like this. I really loved the visuals in the game; it’s amazing how much Epic has improved the Unreal Engine 3. It’s one of my favourite games this year.

7. Portal 2; Valve is a genius, and this game shows why. I really loved the voice acting and the amazing gameplay in Portal 2. It’s not all that different from Portal 1, when you look at the core gameplay mechanics, but as an overall package this game shines.

8. Forza Motorsport 4; I really love racing games, and Forza 4 lived up to my expectations. It was a bit disappointing that it didn’t have night racing or weather, but the physics here has been completely overhauled and buying a wheel just for this game was completely justified.

9. Batman Arkham City; It’s not as good as Arkham Asylum when it comes to pacing, but I did enjoy Batman: Arkham City. I was a bit disappointed near the end, because it wasn’t that satisfying for me. Maybe the open-world didn’t suit the game that much. The city was really unremarkable, although, the lighting did give it an identity. It’s a good game, but its not one that I will play again anytime soon.

10. Super Mario 3D Land; Really awesome game. Got this a bit late, but I'm enjoying every bit of it. Still haven't finished it though, so can't say much about it other than it's really fun and cleverly designed.

2010. Gran Turismo 5; I can't really say much about this other than I've played it a lot. Invested over 500 + hours in it, and it's undoubtedly my favourite racing game from this gen.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
1. forza motorsport 4
2. Rayman Origins
3. Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed
4. Dirt 3
5. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
6. Daytona USA
7. From Dust
8. Guardian Heroes
9. Bulletstorm
10. Trine 2

BTW, shift 2 is listed twice on the nomination list. once under nfs, the other under shift 2

zethren

Banned
**Will post my thoughts on each game at a later time**

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim;

2. Portal 2;

3. Bastion;

4. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective;

5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution;

6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword;

7. Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary;

8. Pokémon White/Black Version;

9. Plants VS Zombies;

10. Super Mario 3D Land;

I plan on voting Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Corpse Party but they're not in the list. Both are PSP games. Is that fine?

I just added both The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows to the list. Yes, you can vote for them.

Can you link to the 2010 voting thread in the OP? I guess it will make things easier for many people.

Will add my list here.

It was actually already there, but I went ahead and bolded it so people don't miss the link. :)

Ctrl+F Spacechem

0 results :(

Just added it.

Remember everyone, as it says above, the list is not comprehensive. If you don't see a game up there but it qualifies to vote on, go ahead and vote for it!

Grisby

A great year for gaming. A lot of long games on my list and horrible mentions and most of them I've played through or are going to go through twice.

1) Batman Arkham City
I loved it. The combat options were great and the atmosphere was outstanding. Everything really resonated with me and the addition of Catwoman was well done.

2) Gears of War 3
One of my favorite series this gen. The last game in this trilogy had fantastic visuals again raising the bar on Xbox. Closure was there and it was all topped off with the best MP this year, if not this generation. A bit too easy on the higher difficulties but still fun none the less. Also, I have to say a particular moment brought a tear to my eye.

3) The Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim
This might have gotten numero uno had it not been for the multitude of glitches I had and an overall poorish performance on my Xbox. Still, when this game was on it was on and made me feel like I was in my own Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones adventure.

4) Crysis 2
I can't believe my Xbox is putting out these visuals. Oh, and there was a fun game in there too with open combat, fun suit mechanics, and a lengthy well paced campaign. Oh and a nice little MP bit.

5) Dead Space 2
A great sequel. Out of all the game here I think this had the most heart warming story to me. Issac being able to articulate his thoughts about Nicole was really well done. Visceral put out a fantastic looking and playing game. For survival horror they overtook Capcom this generation for me. That's one of the best compliments I think could be lauded on them.

6) Deus Ex Human Revolution
I loved the art direction. The shooting felt good and the RPG mechanics were great. The story was a bit weak and I felt like a lot of steam was lost in the second act of the game but still, I was in a Blade Runner videogame. I was Decker man.

7) Saints Row the Third
"I'm livin in a twenty-first century, doing somethin mean to it..." I felt like the game was kinda lean and there was a bit too much shooting, even though I liked the actual gunplay. Saints Row though made me feel like I had taken a debauchery bath and then dipped in a vat of anarchy. Fun.

8) LittleBigPlanet 2
Cute and fun. This is also the game with the most replay value on this list as new levels are always coming down the pipe. The more refined story mode is a joy to playthrough and the game just makes me feel like a cozy sweater.

9) Super Mario Land 3D
The 3D effect and the solid platforming got me back into Mario. Best 3DS game on the market.

10) Bastion
It seems like the bar for downloadable games keeps getting raised every year. Bastion shot it into the stratosphere with great graphics, good music, and fun gameplay. Best ending theme this year bar none.

Honorable Mentions:
Catherine- Something different. It doesn't particular hot any of its areas well but man, it is something good.
Alice Madness Returns- a very good 3D platformer with a nice grim atmosphere and beautiful art.
Bulletstorm- Kill with skill. A fresh take on the FPS genre.

Disappointing:
Uncharted 3- I got a review in the main thread. not a bad game by any means but the pacing, story, and action just felt too off. UC2 was my goty in 09' but this took
the series down a peg for me.

Super LTTP:
Super Castlevania 4- Hot damn.

StuBurns

Banned
01. Portal 2
Portal is the best game released this generation, while Portal 2 did not live up to it's predecessor it was masterful in it's own right. Valve continue to be the best developer in the West, and Erik Wolpaw's iron grip on jaded geek humour remains locked up tight. The co-op was wonderful too. Ironically with the absence of Kim Swift, we effectively have a second Portal sequel coming this year with Quantum Conundrum, can't wait.

02. Saints Row The Third
While top to bottom moronic, it's has perfected moronism. A lot of GAF hated GTA4, I loved it, and still think it's much better than SR3, but at this point it really does feel like they've set themselves far enough apart from GTA that the future of this series actually matters to me above it's ability to fill in the gaps the Housers are leaving.

03. Bastion
The Stanley Parable did the narrator thing much better this year, but it did it without being a good video game, or even good looking. Even now just thinking back to playing Bastion, in my head it has a dreamy filter over it all, I'm not really sure what happened, but I loved seeing it happen.

04. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
A huge leap over the awfulness of Oblivion, and the combat is much nicer than FO3, as are the dungeons. While I greatly prefer the world of FO3, and I don't like fantasy typically, this just came at the right time for me. I'd finished Game of Thrones and just really wanted a game to come along like this, and it did.

05. To The Moon
It is more or less a four hour long 16-bit RPG cutscene, but it's really beautiful, I didn't cry at the end as some GAFfers apparently did, but I did find it very moving. Given the limitations of the engine, it's remarkable how effective it is. Nothing from that era of gaming really had any emotional impact on me, this is in a class on it's own within the technical limitations it chooses to have.

06. Child of Eden
They made a sequel to Rez, crazy world we live in. It's not as good as Rez was, maybe that's when it's coming out, maybe that's having two firing modes, maybe it's the music or the visuals, but it's still a really nice experience, and I'm very glad I bought it on PSN, it's on my XMB any time I want to run through a quick level, and I'm sure I will.

07. The Stanley Parable
As alluded to with the Bastion comment, it contains a very pronounced commentary, there's little more I'd say without spoiling the game really. It's remarkable, and literally the first thing to make me care about PC mods.

08. The Witcher 2
It feels a little wrong being this far down the list, it's maybe a little too obtuse for my tastes, and it's surprisingly difficult, initially at least. I haven't played the first game, maybe I'll like the sequel more when I do. I got it from the Steam coal thing.

09. Jetpack Joyride
An iOS game made the list, it had to at some time I guess. Fruit Ninja was a great iOS game, it understood everything about digestible one fingered gaming. Monster Dash, while cool, did not. This is an iteration on their work with that game with single finger fun fully intact, and for me, the best iOS game thus far.

10. Alice Madness Returns
3D platformers outside of Mario are mostly bad, and the first Alice has really unfounded respect, but this was surprisingly great. And the art was great.

2010. Nier
My real game of the year, one of the best games I've ever played, but yes, released in 2010, I can't believe I missed it last year really. Although last year was a much better year for gaming in general.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Liked TP better but I still think it is the best game of the year.
2. Xenoblade Chronicles ;
3. Batman: Arkham City;
4. Little Big Planet 2 ;
5. Super Mario 3D Land ;
6. Mario Kart 7 ;
7. The Last Story ;
8. Pokemon Black/White ;
9. Rayman Origins ;
10. Uncharted 3 ;

2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2

X. Skyrim; Great game but cant in good conscience give it points with the number of bugs and the broken ps3 version.

inFamous: Festival of Blood counts as a single game?
Because it isn't a DLC per se...

EDIT: I see that it does counts.

----

1.- Dark Souls
2.- Binding of Isaac
3.- inFamous: Festival of Blood

Grimmy

Banned
So many PSP games are not on the nominations list *smh*

Please add:

Corpse Party
Ys I & II Chronicles
Cladun x2

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Please add Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition to the list. It meets the requirement, I think?

Guys, if you have a game you want to vote for that isn't on the list, post your votes and then mention in that post that you want it added to the list. This is a voting thread. :p

It's standalone, right? So I would say yes. (Same thing with Case Zero, etc.)

Haunted

See you January 6th. Still have lots of 2011 games in my backlog, I always try to have as comprehensive an overview over the year's games as possible.

What if you've not played enough new games to justify 10 GOTY nominations?

EDIT: Well for what its worth

My choices

1: LittleBigPlanet 2

There's amazing community levels, I like the 'floaty' controls and new mini-genres. Dozens of Sackbots can follow the player around, new animals can be rode, psychics and AI can be customised more.

2: Xenoblade Chronicles

There's great exploration in a seamless world, there's the imaginative style combining nature and technology, innovative RPG mechanics such as the affinity system/future visions, an interesting philosophical and eccentric story, and Yoko Shimomura makes the music of a goddess. This game combines western and eastern styles with great results!

3: Portal 2

Wheatley was hilarious, most of the cinematic story unfolds literally with the environments. The new Propulsion and Repulsion gels allow Chell to run and jump fast, these can be combined with light tunnels which were fun to use.

4: Sonic Generations
(Not DS)

This game takes levels from the unpopular games such as Unleashed, Heroes, Sonic 06 and redeems them. Classic Sonic feels a bit different, his momentum is affected by the ground, whether that’s the collapsing bricks in the sky, the steep highway or the soft fields of Planet Wisp. These levels are almost as good as the MD ones, with alternate paths and many hidden red rings to find. Modern Sonic is good for different reasons, his levels are to do with artificial speed and have a camera that has a life of its own, nonetheless these stages make for a fun rush with visual spectacle: soaring through the grand waterfalls, being chased by a truck with saws, or running down a clock tower into a festive town full of balloons. Scoring points is rewarding with new shields/abilities to get rings faster. Also there’s the hub where the great music changes interactively depending on the current level entrance. The most fun are the side missions that constantly introduce new mechanics. One mission will require search lights to stun a ninja chameleon, next the iconic sign post must not hit the floor, and in the next ‘time’ will go twice as fast… and much more. The story doesn’t take itself seriously, Robotnik has some fun, imbecilic lines and classic Sonic’s mute expressions provide charm. Overall this is a fitting tribute.

2010 game: Donkey Kong Country Returns: One of the best 2D platform games ever made, everything comes at you, giant spiders, giant boulders, giant bats!

I completed most of these: U3, TLOZ:SS, Minecraft, BM:AC, Okamiden but those 4 are the only ones I'd consider worthy enough.

stalker

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. Dark Souls
3. Super Mario 3D Land
4. Rayman Origins
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. Portal 2
7. Radiant Historia
8. Kirby Mass Attack
9. Pokemon White
10. LittleBigPlanet 2

Apdiddy

I'm wondering where Joe Danger: Special Edition (XBLA), BloodRayne: Betrayal (XBLA/PSN), Pushmo (3DS e-shop) & Outland (PSN/XBLA) are....I know they are download only games but I imagine someone may like them a lot to be on their list.

With The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection having redone parts, would they be considered HD ports for this list or are they worthy of inclusion?

By the way, I don't know if it's been said, but THANK YOU for the work you are doing on this.

Will put my list together in a later post....I'm with the King of Potato People on this....I haven't played enough from 2011 to make a good list!

1. Ghost Trick
  2. Batman AC
  3. Witcher 2
  4. Zelda Skyward Sword
  5. Gemini Rue
  6. Mario 3D Land
  7. Bastion
  8. Portal 2.
  9. Cavestory+
  10. Hector: Badge of Courage (Not sure if we count episodic games as a whole or piece by piece)

Honorable mentions: Corpse Party (mainly for the grusome deaths).

Gambit

I think I know my top 3, but I doubt I will get to a top 10. I haven't played enough games!

Here goes the currecnt top 3:

1) Xenoblade

2) Super Mario 3D Land

3) Radiant Historia

Will update when/if I change my mind.

I think Radiant Historia is not on the list either. Maybe it could be added.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; has technical issues, just like Oblivion when it was new. still gets my vote!
2. N/A. only wanted to vote for Skyrim.
3. ^
4. ^
5. ^
6. ^
7. ^
8. ^
9. ^
10. ^

STG

1. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Probably one of the best J-RPGs I've ever played
2. Yakuza 4 ; great Story, much todo, great Atmosphere
3. Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; broken but the core game is great
5. Child of Eden ; not as great as REZ but still a lot of fun
6. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
7. Portal 2
8. L.A. Noire
9. DoDonPachi Resurrection
10. LittleBigPlanet 2

2010. Gran Turismo 5

Forsete

I didnt play a lot of games this year.. Pretty certain about the position of top 4, the rest is whatever I feel at the moment.

1. Portal 2
2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. LittleBigPlanet 2
5. Battlefield 3
6. Resistance 3
7. InFamous 2
8. L.A. Noire
9. Killzone 3
10. MotorStorm: Apocalypse

Coxy

1. Ar Tonelico Qoga
2. Atelier Totori
3. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
4. Yakuza 4
5. Disgaea 4
6. Gundam Extreme Vs (This is a JP import though I'm from Ireland)
7. Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
8. Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll
9. Hyperdimension Neptunia
10. Daytona USA

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've said this once and I'll say it again: 2011 (as a gaming year) sucked hard but that's mostly because many games disappointed me. It's too bad we're not allowed to vote for HD ports (SotC, ICO, RE4 and MGS because thos games MADE 2011 for me.)

1. Dark Souls ; Although the game was a huge disappointment in my eyes, it still wins 2011 because this year was terrible.
2. Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Incredible game, one of my favorite Zelda-game of all time. If it wasn't for the constant back-tracking, this would win 2011 for me.
3. Mass Effect 2 ; Talk about blowing me away... this was my first Mass Effect (PS3) and I fell in love with the world and Tali immediately.
4. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ; The game is terrible with the new patch but it's one of the best fighting games pre-patched.
5. Marvel vs Capcom 3 ; Absolutely brilliant game. Friends + booze + pringles = over hundred hours of fun.
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; Incredibly superior game to the shitfest that was Oblivion. I still haven't beaten it but I will someday!
7. Uncharted 3 ; Another disappointment. I still can't believe how fucking long it took Naughty Dog/Sony to fix the shitty aiming. Still good game with some of the best interactive sequences of all time.
8. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ; Best looking game of all time. That's all that matters.
9. Resistance 3 ; Resistance-franchise is BACK! Amazingly fun single-player campaign.
10. Killzone 3 ; Definitely better than KZ2 and the graphics/sound was SICK!

edit: just because I feel like doing it, here are the shitty games that I hyped and turned out being a massive disappointment: Dragon Age II, Dead Space 2, Catherine, Battlefield 3... and more disappointments above in the list, unfortunately.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
1. Terraria
2. Saint's Row The Third
3. Uncharted 3
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Battlefield 3
6. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
7. Renegade Ops
8. Outland
9. Ms. Splosion Man
10. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

2010. Civilization V

I bought more games than ever, but ended up playing very few (I kept going back to Terraria and Civ). I should skip 2012 altogether to catch up.
If we could anti-vote one game, mine would be Skyrim.

zlatko

Banned
01- The Witcher 2 http://gamegambits.blogspot.com/2011/09/witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-review.html

It's the only review I'll link to that I did for games, because it's so hard to put into words what is so good about Witcher 2. Only a few games help raise the bar over the course of years in a game generation, and Witcher 2 managed to do that for me in a few different ways, but the main one was its impressive story telling coupled with its way of making players pick moral choices. No game this year sat as well as this one did, to just completely blow me away and keep coming back for more. This is as close to a perfect game as you can get.

02- The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

You can't move more than 30 feet without something to busy yourself with in the world of Skyrim, and all of it is expertly crafted. I love the world, the story telling, the music, and even the combat is satisfying for me as a magic user. My only complaint was the poor start tutorial area, but the rest of what I've played has been an absolute treat for a RPG enthusiast like myself.

03- Batman: Arkham City

I couldn't complete Arkham Asylum after a few hours, but with City I couldn't put it down. Finished it in two sittings, and couldn't believe how well done the ending was. In an industry full of awful endings it was great to be able to finally come away from a game with an ending that put a smile on my face.

04- Gears of War 3

My biggest hate/love relationship in games continues with Gears of War. This game will kick you down like no other can, but will make you feel like the ultimate bad ass when everything comes together online. No game comes even close to giving you that rush you get when you are the last person on your team in Gears of War, and you clutch the entire other team by yourself for the win. Dedicated servers when they are up are exactly what every competitive MP game needs to be doing from now on on consoles.

05- Dark Souls

While I enjoyed Demon's Souls more since it was so refreshing there is still not denying just how fantastic this game is. It suffers from some issues like poor checkpoint placements, online isssues when I played, and a poor ending. Otherwise though you will find an experience you can't get anywhere else in games except Demon's Souls. It's fun, rewarding, and a game that shows that Japan knows how to craft a top caliber game worth every red cent.

06- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Not even a year later and here's the upgrade. None of my hate with this game comes from Ultimate, but I felt like MvC3 in February was a beta build for the real deal. Fortunately for Capcom the real deal delivers on everything I wanted. More balanced, more characters, spectator mode, and an excellent online experience for me. The only thing it lacks is a replay channel, but other than that there isn't a better fighter to be playing right now if you are an online warrior.

07- Deus Ex: Human Revolution

The best stealth game since Metal Gear Solid 3 for me. Challenging combat, well crafted world, and one of the best new characters in a game with Adam Jensen. I couldn't put it down and I wanted more when it was over. It could have used some better level and enemy design, and perhaps some more things to get lost in in terms of side quests, but the main story and it's branching endings make this a game worth not missing.

08- Dead Space 2

Sequel to the only horror game I ever liked and completed. I can't name many faults to this game except for when it comes to the shitty tacked on multiplayer that didn't need to have any time or money invested in. New weapons, more baddies, new scares, and even better level design than the first. Oh and let's not forget the sexiest lighting and sound you can get at on a console game by far.(sorry battlefield) It made me into a bigger horror game fan, or at the least a bigger Dead Space fan, and I can't wait for the third.

09- Battlefield 3

So hyped, and a bit underwhelmed, but still one of the funnest times I had this year on my PC when I played with friends. There's a lot of issues for this one both technical and when it comes to game balanced. Add on a mediocre at best SP, and a quick and forgettable co-op, and you'd think this game would be a bomba, BUT the multiplayer just shines. There's no way to deny that DICE has some secret formula when it comes to fun in a competitive shooter, oh and of course DEM GRAPHICS. :O

10- Uncharted 3

How the mighty have fallen...sort of. Uncharted 2 was an AMAZING game, and the only real fault of Uncharted 3 is that it's just a good to great game. It couldn't outdo what UC2 had done, but it was still enjoyable from start to finish. Only the desert area felt like a big step up from UC2 in jaw dropping moments, and unfortunately I had to deal with the aim issue which bogged down some of the experience to lead to frustration. The next Uncharted could really use a bit more retooling of things, especially enemies and varying the gameplay up in the shooting portions. The story also wasn't as memorable as UC2 either. Either way as a PS3 owner you owe it to yourself to pick it up. Oh and the MP is some good fun, but nothing that addictive to be honest.

Honorable Mention: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - People hate on this franchise and what it has done to the industry, and even I wasn't going to get it this year. Boy am I glad I did though. It's my favorite CoD since CoD4, and is an absolute blast to play in my opinion. I can finally have solid success with run and gun, and while some hate the maps, I find the majority well crafted.

Best DLC Title: Bastion - Such a fantastic game that doesn't fail to deliver on everything you'd expect from even a big budget title. I especially loved the multiple endings and the art style. Hopefully a second one is in the works.

Best DLC: Gears of War 3's free 5 map pack. Free DLC like this is rare, and a real treat when its this well done.

Late to the Party 2010: Red Dead Redemption - I had to suffer through motion sickness but it was well worth it. The game's ending is worth all its praise, and while the game has some low valleys in its enjoyment, the highs far outweigh them and leave you with a game that carves into your memory for a long time to come.

Because it isn't a DLC per se...

Added that.

So many PSP games are not on the nominations list *smh*

Please add:

Corpse Party
Ys I & II Chronicles
Cladun x2

Added most except Ys. Can you tell me what the new features of that game are?

Please add Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition to the list. It meets the requirement, I think?

Says it was released in December 2010, which would make it ineligible.

Prinny

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. Disgaea 4
3. Xenoblade
4. Dark Souls
5. Atelier Totori
6. Mario Kart 7
7. Super Mario 3D Land
8. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
9. Uncharted 3
10. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

2010. Nier

x. LittleBigPlanet 2
x. Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
x. The Witcher 2
x. Alice Madness Returns
x. The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
x. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

I'm wondering where Joe Danger: Special Edition (XBLA), BloodRayne: Betrayal (XBLA/PSN), Pushmo (3DS e-shop) & Outland (PSN/XBLA) are....I know they are download only games but I imagine someone may like them a lot to be on their list.

With The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection having redone parts, would they be considered HD ports for this list or are they worthy of inclusion?!
Like TTK said, the list is a work in progress.

Just for clarification, posters who mistakenly vote for Trenched will still get counted as Iron Brigade votes, correct? Likewise, European posters who vote for Pullblox will get counted as Pushmo, since they're the same game?

I myself won't be voting until January. Too many unfinished games for me to vote this early.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky ; One of the best RPGs this generation due to the charm.
2. Catherine ; Great puzzle game, very unique.
3. Corpse Party ; Best horror title this gen.
4. Sonic Generations ; Sonic redeemed. Very fun and the levels look fantastic.
5. Ys I & II Chronicles ;
6. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 ;
7. Portal 2 ;
8. L.A. Noire ;

2010. Red Dead Redemption

Yoshichan

01- The Witcher 2
02- The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
03- Batman: Arkham City
04- Gears of War 3
05- Dark Souls
06- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
07- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
08- Dead Space 2
09- Battlefield 3
10- Uncharted 3*
Nice list but dat MAHVEL at 6th place? And Ultimate at that?! I thought Vanilla was superior :p?

I gave my list some futher thought and changed it up a bit. I just cannot avoid giving Skyrim my top vote. Even with all it's problems, the overall experience is the best I had in 2011.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. Super Mario 3D Land ; Just an amazing experience and the level design is scary genius.
3. Portal 2 ; More exceptional level design, did not disappoint at all.
4. Dead Island ; A fresh and new experience, despite being a zombie game.
5. Infamous 2 ; More of what I loved about the first.
6. Dead Space 2 ; A bit scarier than the first, just perfect control-wise.
7. Mario Kart 7 ; Quite literally the best Mario Kart I have ever played.
8. Batman: Arkham City
9. Resistance 3
10. Gears of War 3

Overall, kind of a downer year for me. There are a few exceptional games, and a bunch of filler. Kind of ho hum list. 2011 wasn't that hot, imo.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; Best game I've played this generation.
2. Batman: Arkham City; Second best game I've played this generation.
3. Gears of War 3; Epic sends off the only real franchise I've ever liked from them in style.
4. Forza Motorsport 4; Best driving game this generation.
5. Mortal Kombat; I haven't really enjoyed a fighting game this entire generation until this one came out.
6. Saints Row The Third; Best GTA style game since Vice City.
7. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary; Still has something that when you fire that gun that seperates it from every other FPS.
8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Nice RPG. Lacks the hook of the first one, but much better than Invisible War.
9. Dance Central 2; Vote for the game that my wife puts as much time in as I put in Skyrim.
10. Star Wars: The Old Republic; I am just now starting with this one, and so far it looks like they have done the first MMOPRG since WoW came out that is worth playing.

Please note that you left Dance Central 2 off the list for games.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
1. Portal 2 ; This game reminded me why I play games. I loved every moment from start to finish.
2. Skyrim ; The scope of this game is incredible. Although not perfect in any way, the sheer massiveness of everything is amazing. The best Elder Scrolls game (and I loved Morrowind)
3. Uncharted 3 ; Not quite as perfect a game as uncharted 2, it still is a really really solid game. A few odd design choices keep this from going to #2, but I still loved it.
4. Bastion ; Just finished this. The soundtrack, art, and narrator give this game so much character. Loved the ending.
5. Orcs Must Die! ; Great fun little tower defense game. Love the twist it puts on the genre.
6. From Dust ; Majorly disappointing in game-play scope, but still a incredible technical feat.
7. Child of Eden ; Rez 2.0
8. Jamestown ; Played this during the Steam Winter Hunt. Fun arcade shooter. Not a huge fan of the genre, but I found it easy to hop in and have fun.
9. Shadows of the Damned ; Over the top Suda51 craziness.
10. Bulletstorm ; What Duke Nukem Forever should have been.

x. LA Noire ; Amazing in some parts, completely falls apart and becomes tedious after homicide desk
x. Atom Zombie Smasher ; becomes frustratingly hard too quick. Wish I could enjoy the game mechanics longer before I want to pull my hair out.
x. Frozen Synapse ; love the concept/execution, but I am horrible at it

2010. Super Meat Boy ; Best platformer since Super Mario Bros 3

edit: Will add reasonings for Top 10 later.

Yoshichan

Says it was released in December 2010, which would make it ineligible.
Hmm...?

US: 06/07/11
AU: 06/23/11
EU: 06/24/11
JP: 06/30/11

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Best Looking game, by far. Actually brought something new to the formula, proved that motion controls can work exceptionally well on a "regular videogame"

2. Xenoblade ; This game forced me to mod my Wii and get homebrew going! Super deep, gorgeous, great music, characters, story. The most compelling RPG since FF XII, easily

3. The King of Fighters XIII ; Best KoF of all time. DEEP. Competent Online for once and really a game you can show anybody and they will be impressed.

4. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together ; More than just a remake, several key features do great things for the genre, the translation was amazing as well. Feels like the next step in SRPG's .. which is hilarious considering it was one of the first.

5. Dark Souls ; Only reason its not higher is because of Demons Souls was only 2 years ago and the game hasn't changed that much since.

6. Bastion
7. Shadows of the Damned
8. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
9. Rayman Origins
10. Child of Eden

x. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

2010. Vanquish

Sadly, I cant speak towards Portal 2, Skyrim, Mario 3D Land, Uncharted or Batman because I havent played them yet ... but if I had chances are they would be somewhere in there (and thus showing the inherent problem with these lists)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom