• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife91

1. Dark Souls
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
4. Ghost Trick
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
6. Rage
7. Dead Space 2
8. Killzone 3
9. Shadow of the Damned
10. Battlefield 3

Rikyfree

I didn't play that many new games this year, so I'll keep my list short and sweet with a top 5.

1. Uncharted 3 (tie)
1. Batman AC (tie)
3. Skyrim 360 version (If Bethesda hadn't released a shitty ps3 version I would have no problem giving this the #1 spot)
4. Infamous 2 (UGC must be in EVERY open world game, the standard has been raised.)
5. Killzone 3 SP only (tie)
5. Deus Ex: HR (tie)

IMO extending deadline was a bad idea. Yes it allows more people to actually play all the games but it has pushed the thread WAY past GOTY season. At this point I don't really care about 2011 any more....and I can only speak for myself but I imagine that in a couple more weeks a lot of people on Gaf won't even be interested in who is Gafs GOTY that they voted on almost a month ago now.

Just my thoughts.

guest1321

IMO extending deadline was a bad idea. Yes it allows more people to actually play all the games but it has pushed the thread WAY past GOTY season. At this point I don't really care about 2011 any more....and I can only speak for myself but I imagine that in a couple more weeks a lot of people on Gaf won't even be interested in who is Gafs GOTY that they voted on almost a month ago now.

Just my thoughts.

We are two weeks in to 2011, I haven't even begun to consider what games I will purchase next. I'd say that the extension wasn't bad nor good.

We are two weeks in to 2011, I haven't even begun to consider what games I will purchase next. I'd say that the extension wasn't bad nor good.

Problem is that at the end of the year there is a "goty hype" period as all the major sites and publications announce their picks extending from mid December to early January. By missing this period there is no hype because all the winners have already been established.

....and lets face it. At this point we all know who is #1 and #2. Plus we could very easily see which games are 8-10 if you just glance through the thread. Now we have had weeks and weeks on stagnation....already know exactly what the results will be....while the deadline is extended for no good reason (I would be shocked if more than one or two games in the top 10 moves more than one spot up or down as a result of extension, and NOTHING near the top will change).

Just seems pointless. Only thing it accomplishes is making people bored with it.

Just my thoughts.

Haha. "GOTY season." It'd be best to conduct this vote six months out of the year, as to allow for time to play more games, and get out of the post-release hype of any big games that come out in November or December.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
1. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. inFAMOUS 2
5. FIFA 12
6. DiRT 3
7. Battlefield 3
8. L.A. Noire
9. Portal 2
10. NBA JAM: On Fire Edition

2010. Darksiders

The year 2011 is a very hard year for me to rank. Depending on my mood a lot of the above spots could look wildly different, but most of them would end up in the top 10. 2010 was much easier. ;-)

Who cares about hype? This isn't the VGAs. Gaf isn't selling anything.
Yeah...it is. It is selling its services as a forum to its members.

I know I am not going win anything here. I stand by my assertion though. Changing the date accomplished nothing other than killing hype. I will predict that results thread will be 1/2 the length of last years which was put up on the 11th.

1. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
4. Batman Arkham City
5. Portal 2
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7. Dead Space 2
8. Super Mario 3D Land
9. Pokemon Black/White
10. Tetris (PSN)

2010. Vanquish

Tunavi

Banned
You disappoint me, Tunavi. How could you do that to Portal 2?
I have a major hard on for Super Mario games. 3D land is already one of my favorite games of all time.

Portal 2 was fucking awesome, though. However Spoilers
I WANTED CONNECTIONS TO HALF LIFE

Codeblue

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Completely overhauled combat system, rejection of series staples in favor of new puzzles, new mechanics, new items, new formula. It was a wonderful departure.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Imported to the USA. If for nothing else but the music alone. Best soundtrack this year. It had a ton of interesting ideas, and overall, I hope this is where JRPGs are headed.

3. Super Mario 3D Land ; Great platformer that actually uses 3D to enhance gameplay.

4. Frozen Synapse ; Playing this game gives me the same rush I feel when I watch a psychological thriller movie. I could spend hours planning for my opponents next move. It's just intense, suspenseful fun.

5. Mario Kart 7 ; This probably wouldn't even break my top 10 for the year if it weren't for the community on here.

6. Kirby's Return to Dreamland ; An exceptional 2D platformer. I hope the genre continues to see more frequent releases.

7. Portal 2 ; The writing in this game is unmatched. One of the most well designed games in every regard. Unfortunately, I get dizzy playing most first person games so this isn't higher up.

8. Magicka ; The controls are a little tough to get accustomed to, but it's a multiplayer gem. There is no shortage of pranks you can pull with spells that will kill your friends at crucial moments.

9. Kirby Mass Attack ; One of the reasons I love Kirby, is because every game is this bizarre gameplay experiment with the series. Doesn't hurt that they're almost always super fun.

10. Professor Layton and the Last Specter ; It's more of the same Layton. I really dig logic puzzles though, and London Life was a cool addition.

2010. Picross 3D ; This game regularly takes over my life every three months.

Just my thoughts.

Seriously? The last thing GAF should do is do nothing but HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE like other sites. Cripes, some places gave out their awards in early December, would you prefer that? I guess the Oscars should be moved up to December 14th to cash in on HYPE season.

Haunted

1. Skyrim (PC)
2. Alice: Madness Returns (PC)
3. Batman: Arkham City (PC)
4. Dead Island (PC)
5. Zelda Skyward Sword (Wii)
6. Portal 2 (PC)
7. Uncharted 3 (PS3)
8. The Witcher 2 (PC)
9. Ghost Trick (DS)
10. Dark Souls (PS3)

Having big trouble sorting out 3-8, tbh. Been shuffling this shit around for days now. Still have one or two games that could make it on the list based on a whim, but I wanted to post a version for now at least.

Haunted

Yeah...it is. It is selling its services as a forum to its members.

I know I am not going win anything here. I stand by my assertion though. Changing the date accomplished nothing other than killing hype. I will predict that results thread will be 1/2 the length of last years which was put up on the 11th.
Man, fuck this hype shit.

The farther we get people away from the games on their lists, the better. In fact, I think it's a terrible idea to use the deadline extension to cram some last-minute games they hadn't played in. An ideal case would make it so people wouldn't touch eligible games for a month before voting to add some distance and (hopefully) added objectivity to the proceedings. Gamers are terribly fickle, notoriously forgetful and easily influenced.

That's why OTs get more readable once the initial hype has receded. And that's why you usually get more sensible results in a 1-year delayed GOTY voting.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Man, fuck this hype shit.

The farther we get people away from the games on their lists, the better. In fact, I think it's a terrible idea to use the deadline extension to cram some last-minute games they hadn't played in. An ideal case would make it so people wouldn't touch eligible games for a month before voting to add some distance and (hopefully) added objectivity to the proceedings. Gamers are terribly fickle, notoriously forgetful and easily influenced.

That's why OTs get more readable once the initial hype has receded. And that's why you usually get more sensible results in a 1-year delayed GOTY voting.

I'd straight up rather have it start later than open for over a month for a vocal few who some how think they'll make a better opinion by jamming in more shit at the end. Even I'm guilty of it, but I know for a fact my opinion gets more hazy when I'm trying to finish something for a deadline I feel pressure from. Rather than just letting it play out naturally.

Oreoleo

Haha. "GOTY season." It'd be best to conduct this vote six months out of the year, as to allow for time to play more games, and get out of the post-release hype of any big games that come out in November or December.

So very, very agreed. Having the voting end the first week of January, or in January at all is absurd when long games like Skyrim and Saints Row 3 release with less than 2 months left in the year. Not everyone buys every game day 1. And there's something to be said for amazing games like Vanquish last year which released in October with very little marketing and only got popular due to word of mouth months after the fact.

It would be interesting to have a 2nd GOTY thread around July/August to see how the rankings change.

olimpia84

I got Super Mario 3D Land as a gift today and I'm loving the heck out of it. Just got to the second world and I think it's one of the best Mario games ever made so I'm glad this got an extension; I'm definitely including it in my list now

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I got Super Mario 3D Land as a gift today and I'm loving the heck out of it. Just got to the second world and I think it's one of the best Mario games ever made so I'm glad this got an extension; I'm definitely including it in my list now

Yeah, my recent acquisition of a 3DS has led me to tweak my list a bit. Maybe we're delaying the inevitable, since the top ten or so have been decided long before the extension was announced, but I'm glad it gave a chance to spend time with a few more eligible games. Had to boot a few out to make room for 3D Land and the almighty Pushmo.

1. Batman: Arkham City :: As someone who skipped over Arkham Asylum because I just wasn't terribly interested in a Batman game, I am totally impressed by how much I enjoy playing through Arkham City and just how solid of a game it really is. Everything about it - from the story, to the mechanics, to the side stuff, and the environmental and graphical design - is completely top notch; for a game that tries to do so many things at once, I feel it succeeds at them all.

2. Frozen Synapse :: I knew I was interested in this game as soon as I read about it (thanks, RockPaperShotgun). I knew I would enjoy this game as soon as I watched a playthrough video (thanks, TotalBiscuit). I knew I loved this game as soon as I noticed that I'd dumped 50+ hours into it when other higher-profile games were sitting around gathering dust (Steam dust?).

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution :: Ever since the initial announcement of a Deus Ex 3, I didn't think they'd truly be able to pull off a worthy sequel to the original. While Human Revolution differs on a few smaller, nit-picky points, it's still definitely mother fucking Deus Ex. Hell yeah, Eidos Montreal.

4. The Binding of Isaac :: I did not expect to enjoy this game as much as I do, and I also didn't expect it to essentially be a roguelike. I don't know what in the world I did expect it to be, but it wasn't what it is: fun and very addictive.

5. Portal 2 :: Portal 1 was an incredible surprise. Portal 2 was fully expected, but god damn is it a well-done game. As for the single player, I felt like I couldn't put it down; then I had to at some point, and finished it in roughly one-and-a-half sittings (rounded to the nearest sitting). Then, to my delight, the same thing went for co-op with a friend who ended up being on roughly the same plane of thought as I was, which made it such an awesome experience.

6. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception :: As soon as I finished Uncharted 3 on normal, I started right back over on hard; partly to check to see if aiming actually was better on higher difficulties [this was pre-patch] and partly because it was really fun. Multiplayer this time around doesn't really do it for me like Uncharted 2 did, but it's still pretty good.

7. Bulletstorm :: I expected to play a little ways through this game, grunt a bit, then maybe uninstall it. I was then called names consisting of every combination of dick+ass+head+shit+manymore whilst kicking, blowing apart, electrocuting, impaling, and disintegrating a bunch of pretty tough AI dudes in what turned out to be a pretty good story in a really fun game. Sorry to have doubted you, People Can Fly!

8. E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy :: This game is fucking bizarre, and I love it. It feels like a frankenstein of Source mods brought to life in a strange French cyber-dystopia with obtuse mechanics, ridiculously huge scale, and around three million options for how to make your character. It sort of scratches my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. itch, for which I am very grateful, and by which I am very impressed.

9. Dark Souls :: I feel like it's a step down from the majesty of Demon's Souls, at least as far as overall game design goes, but it still makes improvements in some key areas. In any case, what really pulls it along through filthy, bloody, fog-ridden ditches of disease is its incredible atmosphere and flawless melee mechanics.

10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim :: As with many others playing Skyrim, I have yet to touch the main story quest many, many hours in, and am having a blast just being in the world and doing a thing. [Would probably be higher, but points deducted for the PS3 shitfest :mad:]

x. Renegade Ops - Way more fun than I expected

(All but Dark Souls and Uncharted 3 played on PC)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat :: So many hours gone between Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and finally this. On one episode of The Idle Thumbs Podcast, Chris Remo said he couldn't bear to start the game sometimes because of the oppressively thick and dismal atmosphere of the Zone in contrast to the bright, sunny day outside in the real world. So true... why did I keep going back to that horrible place? Why do I still want to go back for more?! COME ON S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, YOU GOT THIS GSC!

Honorable 2010 mentions(!): Civilization V, Nier, Super Meat Boy

1. Rayman Origins
2. Batman Arkham City
3. Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception
4. Yakuza 4
5. Dark Souls
6. Infamous 2
7. Shadows of the Damned
8. Portal 2
9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

2010 game: Vanquish

Razor554

1. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2. Dark Souls
3. Dead Space 2
4. Infamous 2
5. Resistance 3
6. Rayman: Origins
7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
8. Bulletstorm
9. Portal 2
10. FIFA 12

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
An incredible achievement in a genre that is all but ignored in mainstream game development today. Less revelatory than the original Deus Ex, but this game manages to modernize its predecessor without losing its soul.

2. Bastion
This is a gorgeous game in just about every respect. It is an intensely personal project, and it feels like one.

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Oblivion never quite grabbed me, but Skyrim's Nordic landscapes felt utterly magical.

3. The Binding of Isaac
I played this more than any other game this year. Even the one listed above it. It's a disease, but I'm glad to have contracted it.

4. Minecraft
If I had actually played more of this I suspect it would be higher, but every time I did log onto a well populated multiplayer server my brain exploded anew.

5. Frozen Synapse
Fiddly and overdesigned in all the right ways, and just enough elegance to make it gel.

6. SpaceChem
It will make you feel like an idiot, and then a genius, and it'll be right both times.

7. Portal 2
The thematic variety of this game is what justified its existence, but also what made it a less memorable and coherent experience than Portal.

8. Trine 2
It's got everything that made the first Trine so charming and clever, and it feels like the possibility space has opened up even more this time.

9. Stacking
This game has volumes to say about communicating character through economy. It's also a rare example of a very brown game that is utterly devoid of visual cliche.

10. Orcs Must Die
This game is basically comfort food, but man did I enjoy a lot of it.

X. Dark Souls
If I had played this, I guarantee it would have been on my list.

X. Driver: San Francisco
One of the most insanely disjointed games I've played in a while, it manages to achieve something that may be of questionable quality but is definitely unique.

I'm always interested in how these GAF GOTY threads end up. I don't think I'm going to vote this year, though. I'm currently playing a game that, to this point, is a serious contender for the best game I've played this year but I'm not far enough in to really know for certain. My lists are always boring anyways.

Guevara

1. Dark Souls
This is what I want games to be. It's Zelda from an alternative universe, where Zelda II is considered the masterpiece of the series, and where video game stories are lived through not told in a cutscene. Dark Souls is also a significant improvement over Demons Souls, and is the rare sequel to get almost everything right (the exception being that online co-op did not often work for me). Still, it's an incredible achievement and a very brave game to make in the era of online FPSs/motion-control garbage/risk-adverse publishers.

2. Portal 2
I basically played through this game in 2 or 3 long sessions the weekend I got it. That's pretty rare for me lately. While a lot of people will praise Portal 2 for the writing and the humor of Wheatley and GLaDOS, I really like the decrepitude and isolation of the long-abandoned 1950s facility, deep underground. There was this great sense of dread and foreboding, and the occasional Cave Johnson announcements were the right way to tell that story. The ending was great, in a "no way this works?!" kind of way. Video games, more than any other type of media, should embrace the crazy-ass ending more often.

3. Plants vs. Zombies (PS3)
PvZ is really fun. It seems a little weird to play this on the same box the plays Uncharted, but it's a great version, very sharp and well drawn sprites, fun to play co-op and versus on my couch, plenty of content, great music, etc. It's way too easy to sink 4 hours into this game on on a weekend afternoon, just as great gaming should be.

4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
I didn't like the pacing as much as previous games; it took far too long to get to the desert and the sidetrack areas seemed a little disjointed
now we go to France, now we are in a shipyard, etc.
basically just to show off set pieces. It didn't feel like a cohesive adventure like U:DF or U2. Still a great ending to a great series, and a well deserved top 5 game this year.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
I almost considered leaving this off my list this year. I actually like a lot about this game, I just hate the motion controls and Fi so much. Luckily I still got the occasional 20 minute stretch where Fi doesn't interrupt me to say something stupid and those brief sections are better than most games released this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a tough year for voting.

A couple of interesting trends: Not a single downloadable game. That's partially my fault because I didn't really monitor XBLA, etc., but I also didn't really hear much buzz. The only downloadable game I really played this year was Plants vs. Zombies (iPhone), an old game that was new to me. I am also about 5 hours into GTA 3 on the iPhone, which is surprisingly competent. Maybe there are great downloadable titles available, but I didn't play them this year.

Almost nothing from Nintendo. In years past Nintendo games would make up half my list. I'm sure I would have greatly enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land and the Ocarina remake, but not enough to purchase a new system. I probably won't have a 3DS or a Wii U for a few years and the Wii is just about dead, so it will probably be a while before I play a new Nintendo game.

Not a single game that is exclusive for, or that I played on, the Xbox 360 is on this list. In previous years there was always a Halo or Crackdown to consider, or a third party game that was obviously superior on the Xbox. Halo: Anniversary wasn't compelling enough for $40, though I'll probably get it later for cheap.

(Didn't play enough to vote on yet: Batman Arkham City, RAGE, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, L.A. Noire)

1. Portal 2 ; Portal 2 is the closest thing I've seen to a perfect game. Ever. A tremendous achievement of design, visual arts, music, and writing, it might just be the greatest game ever made. It feels really good to be able to honestly enter a game that came out in 2011 into a discussion for the greatest game of all time. Portal 2 is what I hope the future of gaming looks like.

2. Bastion ; For all the praise I give Portal 2, it's amazing to me how close this game came to taking my #1 spot, for having such a small core development team. The story is told uniquely and beautifully, and the entire package comes together to create a world more ambitious than even much larger studios attempt. Bastion is beautifully crafted in all ways.

3. Batman: Arkham City ; I was very excited to play this game coming off of Arkham Asylum, but I was pretty shocked to find a story and environment that I actually cared about, as well as some really smart additions to one of the best combat and stealth systems I've ever played. I eagerly await Rocksteady's future titles.

4. Rayman: Origins ; Rayman: Origins is a refreshing taste of what video games used to be. Tight platforming controls, and great level design, all wrapped in a beautiful, modern package. This is a tough game to put down.

5. Super Mario 3D Land ; Mario has always been a series that is about pure level design. Nintendo never needed to drum up some excuse for Mario to be where he is or do what he does. That hasn't changed with this 3DS title, and it didn't take me long to acquire every collectible coin in the game. Some added difficulty would have been welcome, but excellent controls and fun levels are what sell this game.

6. Tiny Wings ; Tiny Wings is a shining example of beautiful art created in spite, and perhaps because of some extreme self-limitations. It's a deep and addictive game with only one functional input: tucking your tiny wings. This is probably the best 99 cents a person can possibly spend in the first world.

7. Dark Souls ; It takes a very particular kind of person to enjoy Dark Souls. It just so happens that I am one such person. The constant threat of death in the game makes for a methodical pacing and a gloomy aesthetic that I really adore. It's not for everyone, and I'll be the first person to admit that, but if it clicks for you, it's one of the most unique experiences you can have with a modern video game.

8. TrackMania 2: Canyon ; I don't tend to enjoy multiplayer games. They give me anxiety attacks and I don't like getting yelled at by mean people on the internet. But TrackMania is a multiplayer game made with people like me in mind. With no direct interaction between players in-game, it hearkens back to the days of arcade high scores, where you can be both fiercely competitive AND horribly antisocial. It's a fun and casual experience for those who want it to be, and an intense, competitive arcade racer for those who are into that. Everybody wins.

No number 9 and 10. I just didn't like that many games this year. Truly a year of high highs, though.

That said, I'm going to be furious if Skyrim wins GAF's GOTY. I despise that game. It's been super alienating for me.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
This might change slightly in the next few days, but it's pretty solid.

1. Super Mario 3D Land
2. Radiant Historia
3. Dark Souls
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. Batman: Arkham City
7. Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two worlds
8. Portal 2
9. Bulletstorm
10. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

CvGz

Neo Member
1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword; Best motion controls to date and a great adventure although the backtracking was tedious.
2. Super Mario 3D Land; Incredibly fun levels with the right fusion of retro Mario and the Galaxy games.
3. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together; Exceptional translation and great additions to a classic games.
4. Mario Kart 7; A great sign of online features from Nintendo to come, not perfect but very fun.
5. Uncharted 3; Disappointing but a top tier PS3 game. I am glad ND is moving on to a different franchise.
6. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; I have a love and hate relationship with this game. Expansive world and streamlined features from ESIV:O, its broken state on the PS3 after 60 hours of playtime made me get rid of it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
1. Dark Souls
This is what I want games to be. It's Zelda from an alternative universe, where Zelda II is considered the masterpiece of the series, and where video game stories are lived through not told in a cutscene.

This..is just so right. So, so right. Glad this deadline happened to allow for more people to vote for Dark Souls. It's the only modern game to actually feel like it's matured from its genre rather than doing the same thing over and over.

dk_

1. Zelda Skyward Sword (Wii)
2. Batman: Arkham City (PC)
3. Uncharted 3 (PS3)
4. LA Noire (360)
5. Skyrim (PC)
6. Dead Island (PC)
7. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
8. Portal 2 (PC)
9. FIFA 12 (360)
10. Dark Souls (PS3)

Portugeezer

1. The Witcher 2
Brilliant world, great story with branching paths encouraging multiple playthroughs, challenging combat with tough enemies requiring you to plan ahead. Also boobs.

Never wanted it to end.

2. Zelda Skyward Sword
Fantastic dungeon design, best use of motion controls to date never wanted to press a button.

Hunter S.

First time since i joined I post in a non-off topic thread. WOW

1.Skyrim Sucks you in more than any other series and game I have played. THis and Skyrim are the games I have played the longest in my life.

2. Dead Space 2 Visceral seems to be the only developer still willing to make scary games.

3. Portal 2 Hated portal, but this one had so much more variety and humor.

4. Uncharted 3 Not as original as the 2nd, but has the best psychedelic experience in gaming.

5. Alice: the Madness Returns I like dark and strange atmosphere.

6. Killzone 3 Better campaign than 2, and even enjoyed the multiplayer more.

7.Infamous 2 Love open world games, had a great twist at the end.

8. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Really fun deserves more sales

9. Rage was mostly disappointed, but most of the games I played this year were not from this year.

Others I played i loved more than some on the bottom of the list.
Still have to play a lot of games I missed like: Gears 3, Skyward Sword, Modern Warfare 3, Dead Island, Rayman: origins, and Batman: Arkam City.

1.The Witcher 2
2.Serious Sam 3: BFE
3.Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
4.Gemini Rue
5.The Binding of Isaac
6.Terraria
7.Hard Reset
8.Portal 2
9.Dungeons of Dredmor
10.Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

Spwn

1. Portal 2 ; While having more limited puzzles than it's predecessor, Portal 2 offered the best storytelling in a video game this year. It succeeds in being funny and sad at the same time while also renewing the mechanics of the first game. While the story is indeed great, the gameplay is also enjoyable.
2. Radiant Historia ; The JRPG of the year for me. While Radiant Historia does tease you with the possibilities it could have been, it delivers an enjoyable adventure with great characters and a refreshing battle system. Not a perfect game, but I loved it all the way through.
3. Shadows of the Damned ; A brilliant action game with one of the funniest duos I've seen in a video game. I was originally dismissing this game because I don't enjoy horror games, and every time the game tried to be one, I found it a bit dull. Fortunately the writing is on par with Portal 2 at best with lots of dialog that cracked me up. The aiming in the game felt a bit off, but everything in the game is so over the top that I couldn't help but enjoy all the way through it.
4. Yakuza 4 ; My first Yakuza game and I was surprised how much I just spent time just running around the city always finding something to do. The combat never felt repetitive to me and the story and presentation captured me in it's clutches. Love me some crime stories.
5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ; The game may suffer of an incoherent plot and the aiming problems really bothered me on release, but I still enjoyed Drake's latest adventure. Nothing groundbreaking, but still a great action game.
6. Catherine ; Truth to be told, this game didn't hook me until I had played it for seven hours. But when the plot started to thicken, there was nothing I could do to put the controller down. The block puzzles felt a bit too much to rely on trial-and-error and memorizing the optimal path, but the unconventional themes and narrative of the game make it stand out. And really, I found the block puzzles fun.
7. Alice: Madness Returns ; Wasn't expecting much from this game and it suffers of a lot of small glitches, but when I entered the vibrantly colored Wonderland filled with madness, I knew immediately I was going to like this game. The game would benefit of a bit more variety in enemy types and sometimes the fighting felt boring, but this game is more about enjoying the weirdness rather than just concentrating in smashing teapots.
8. Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 ; This game got me back to MtG. It also fixed a lot of the problems the first DotP had by speeding up the game. Great tool for learning the basic rules of the game.
9. Dark Souls ; I have a confession to make: I'm not good at Dark Souls. I'm actually very bad in it. A coward. The game beat me. I'm just too afraid to go on even if I can reach furthest point where I've been with my eyes closed. It's not that I'm stuck in a boss, I just don't feel my mind can handle what I'm about to confront! But I do appreciate what Dark Souls does and I feel the battle system is well done. The game truly isn't unfair, you just suck if you die. And I suck a lot.
10. Sonic Generations ; As a guy who grew up playing the first two Mega Drive Sonic games and had not played a Sonic game since then (with Sonic Rush being an exception) I was surprised how good a modern Sonic game can be. I even enjoyed the modern Sonic levels, which I wasn't prepared for. The definitive Sonic the Hedgehog game!

Orayn

1. Dark Souls ; A dark, challenging, incredible experience. There's just nothing, apart from Demon's Souls, that compares.
2. Minecraft ; The way Notch created, developed, and distributed this game changed everything.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Motion controls have truly arrived.
4. Portal 2 ; Clever, charming, and just astoundingly well-made.
5. Super Mario 3D Land ; Nintendo mixes old brilliance with new technology, yielding some truly impressive results.
6. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Raises the bar for JRPGs and shows just how beautiful "Wii graphics" can be.
6. Mario Kart 7 ; The legacy continues!

Most of the other amazing games from 2011 will be LTTPs for me once I upgrade my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom