• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atolm

1) Portal 2. The GOTY whitout a doubt. With a funny and well-written script, and the best Co-op ever.
2) Rayman Origins. It's like an Orioto's painting, but you can play it.
3) Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together. I'm in love with Matsuno.
4) King of Fighters XIII. The best 2D fighting series, finally reborn after a decade of fail.
5) Dark Souls
6) Child of Eden
7) El Shaddai
8) Outland
9) Yakuza 4
10) The Witcher 2

2010: Vanquish

shpankey

not an idiot
1. Forza Motorsport 4
2. F1 2011
3. Dirt 3
4. Gears of War 3
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
6. Dark Souls
7. Uncharted 3
8. Mario Kart 7
9. Battlefield 3
10. Super Mario 3D Land

x. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nice list.
Did you play Serious Sam 3? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

I'm a cheapskate, will probably pick up this summer.

Stump, Id be curious to hear your thoughts on Shadows of the Damned..

I paid $12.50 for Shadows of the Damned. I played through on the middle difficulty. I liked a lot of the creative aspects of the game; the jokes, the feeding creepy baby face door lock system, the weapons, some of the bosses, the shops (Christopher's voice didn't match Christopher's look!), the fact that there were shoot-em-up levels, the Castlevania classic-esque map screen, and the ending. I also liked the light/dark world stuff in general. Visually I thought everything looked great, with well defined characters and great use of colour. The fact that the weapons each had their own primary colour was very cool. The puzzle areas that involved 3D rotation of level geometry were fun, but a little easy for me--I would have liked to see some sort of challenge rooms mechanic that incorporated those puzzles, maybe. I liked running from Crazy Paula, because it did a good job of establishing the fact that Garcia wanted Paula back but shit was much more screwed than it appeared. The humour worked, and I'm really surprised how solid some of the wordplay was without being as wink-winky as it could be.

I didn't really like the movement or aiming. It felt like the viewpoint was centered around Garcia's waist instead of his shoulder or something. I can't describe it fully and it's been a few months, but it just didn't quite feel right. Although I liked the environments a lot (the city areas near the beginning reminded me of a kind of Twisted Mexican Evil version of the city areas in Bayonetta, hahaha) I didn't like the level design. It was largely kind of linear to me. Even more open areas like the swamp felt very constrained, like I was constantly being funneled. I didn't like the actual shmup levels. I didn't like the primitive turret sections with the Big Boner. I didn't like reusing The Sisters as a boss. I hated the moving portion of the last boss. I felt like the game had slightly too little ammo provided, not enough where I felt like I needed to conserve ammo or play carefully--in fact you can't really play carefully, but too little to go crazy, so I felt annoyed fairly frequently when I had low ammo.

If my thoughts here seem a little all over the place, it's because they are. Most games leave a really strong impression on me so I can pick out a few key themes in how I feel about them. That didn't really happen with SOTD. There were a lot of little things I liked and a fair few things that irritated me. I didn't feel Mikami's influence all that much on the game, but I'll say this anyway: It should be noted that while I liked Resident Evil 4 a lot, I didn't like it as much as most people. Shadows of the Damned felt like a bizarro, weird, creative, thrilling, and charming but rough-around-the-edges version of Resident Evil 4.

I would have been around #20 of the year for me. I did recommend it to a friend whose taste for the strange would have honed close to it. I'd put it above RE5.

sdijoseph

1. Batman: Arkham City - The combination of the story, atmosphere, and vastly improved combat system made this one for me. I felt oddly compelled to finish all of the riddler challenges and 100% the game, something I rarely do.

2. Portal 2 - This was just as compelling as Batman, just a lot shorter and with limited replay value. Voice acting in particular was amazing, I love JK Simmons. Puzzles made me think in a way most games do not.

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - It's amazing this game overcomes the horrible graphics, technical problems, horrid boss fights, sometimes awkward dialogue, and limiting augmentation system to still produce a stellar RPG. The sci-fi/trans-humanism theme probably makes me slightly biased towards it, but I still think Deus Ex accomplished some things I hadn't seen before in an RPG. Playing it with all augmentations on from the start vastly improves the experience.

4. Battlefield 3 - Amazing graphics, horrible/boring single player, stellar multi-player.

2010 - Mass Effect 2

Side Note: I have Witcher 2 in my backlog and I know I will probably love it, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

gamerx

1.Saints Row: The Third
2.Portal 2
3.Dance Central 2
4.Mortal Kombat
5.Rayman Origins
6.Bulletstorm
7.Child of Eden
8.Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
9.Driver: San Francisco
10.Alice: The Madness Returns

vermadas

1. Dark Souls
2. Spacechem
3. Terraria
4. Portal 2
5. Bastion
6. Driver: San Francisco
7. Batman: Arkham City
8. Trackmania 2: Canyon
9. Renegade Ops
10. Bulletstorm
2010. Fallout: New Vegas

AniHawk

seeing as i'm not gonna beat trine 2 by saturday, i'll go ahead and do this now.

2010. Infinite Space ; wow. this thing is mass effect meets skies of arcadia in the best way possible. ship battles are awesome, and the story goes to surprisingly dark and interesting places. after six hours of not knowing what the hell to do in a game with terrible, ugly 3d graphics, i stuck around another 34 hours just because it was that awesome. it's a real shame this game wasn't better recognized when it came out, or even now, nearly two years later.

10. Mario Kart 7 ; to be honest, i found this to be kind of a slow year. i haven't played a lot of mario kart 7, but i like the changes made so far, and some of the tracks are pretty fun. it's kind of a safe choice, i guess.

9. Kirby: Mass Attack ; this was a surprise. i wasn't expecting anything good out of it, and only picked it up during a b2g1f sale. it did get repetitive, especially when it comes to collecting all the coins, but it was better than it had any right to be. it has tons of extras, and some fun bonus games like the rpg and shmup.

8. Fortune Street ; this was a big surprise. a friend of mine kept setting up the n64 and tried playing mario party on that machine and rented it for the wii. because this didn't have any motion control minigames (well, not like mario party does), it seemed like a better choice than mario party 8, or waiting for mario party 9. and it's a lot of fun. i'd play it even more if it had a better online mode.

7. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective ; there are a couple of games that hit real late in the ds's life that try to meld gameplay with story, and this one does it in a very cool way. i didn't care much for the story, but i loved being an active participant in it. the animation they pulled off on this thing is fucking amazing too.

6. Sonic Generations ; sonic generations is not for everyone, and it does kinda drag at the end. however, i was addicted to this game for a short while, even after getting skyward sword and other games i'd been looking forward to playing.

5. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars ; almost a year later, and this is still my favorite 3ds game. that might say something about what i think of the 3ds's library, but i enjoyed the hell out of shadow wars. i skipped the story almost entirely, and was much better off for it. it's about as challenging as you want it to be from level to level, and it scratched the strategy rpg itch i've been feeling for a while. it's also one of the few 3ds games where the 3d effect works really well.

4. Batman: Arkham City ; i loved arkham asylum, and greatly enjoyed city. while i prefer asylum's more focused story and world, flying around a city as the goddamn batman always felt great.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; skyward sword was a game i'd been approaching cautiously for a while. i was concerned that nintendo would go crazy with motion controls, that silent realm segments would ruin the game, and that generally, it would be a sort of mix of ideas that didn't quite work out. it turns out almost the opposite of what i feared happened. motion controls may have actually been used too little, especially when it came to solving puzzles, silent realms were actually fun and well-designed, and pretty much every design decision in the game feels deliberate. i never found anything in the game that was worthy of the extremely high praise before its release, nor did i agree with the more negative opinions of the game, or of certain segments. overall, i think it's a good game with no extreme highs or extreme lows to speak of.

2. Portal 2 ; when people want to merge cinematic experiences in with gameplay, they need to look at what valve is doing. portal 2 might go overboard in some places, but it's the funniest and cleverest game i've played this year.

1. Rayman Origins ; a skill-based 2d platformer that looks great and has great music? sounds like a 90s game. rayman origins feels like one too, one made by a smaller team that just wanted to make something they would enjoy. and sometimes that's all that's needed. it's challenging without being frustrating and cute without being obnoxious. rayman innovates very little, but what is there is finely crafted into one of the best 2d platformers and this year's best game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Have you played 3D Land yet, Anihawk? I know you're a platforming fan so it's interesting that it didn't place on your list.

Anyways, you sold me on Infinite Space, Mass Effect and Skies sounds great to me, I'll have to track down a copy.

zashga

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Beautiful, creative, and a joy to play.
2. Dark Souls ; Basically, it's Zelda's evil twin. I enjoy its dark, understated tone and brutal difficulty. On top of that, jolly cooperation was my most memorable multiplayer experience of the year.
3. Minecraft ; An insatiable time vampire. It's a good thing multiplayer is so glitchy or I would never get up from my desk ever again.
4. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective ; Excellent animation, great writing, and clever puzzles make this the best (and only?) adventure game of 2011.
5. Portal 2 ; Plays fast and loose with the original's ideas, but cooperative play makes up for it. Easily the best production values of anything I played this year.
6. Pokemon Black/White ; Great fun as always. Electric jumping spiders ahoy! This was a welcome release in a lean year for JRPGs.
7. Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten ; A return to form after the lackluster third installment. Finally looks better than a late-gen PS1 game, which is nice. The writing is just as cheesy as ever.
8. Super Mario 3D Land ; An excellent compromise between the Galaxy and New sub-series. Clean art, music, and level design. Massive retro appeal.
9. Pushmo ; A happy little puzzle game with a lot of levels. Maybe too many.
10. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation ; Not as good as DQV, but what is? Still an excellent adventure that would've been right at home in the Golden Age of SNES RPGs.

x. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Imported but didn't finish. Will probably revisit in 2012 when it actually comes to America.
x. Bastion ; Great fun, but over in a flash. The actual gameplay is somewhat bland and greatly overshadowed by the spectacular sights and sounds.
x. Outland ; Fun mashup of Metroid and Ikaruga. Fabulous artwork and competent gameplay. Some moments felt cheap and frustrating (looking at you, Quetzalcoatl).
x. Radiant Historia ; Good, but disappointing. Boring level design and repetitive combat dampen the fun quite a lot. This game could/should have been a classic, but it falls well short.

2010. Civilization V ; I have spent an insane number of hours playing this game.

RustyO

1. Dark Souls
2. Catherine
3. The Witcher 2
4. Portal 2
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
6. Frozen Synapse
7. Orcs Must Die!
8. Outland
9. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
10. Magicka

AniHawk

Have you played 3D Land yet, Anihawk? I know you're a platforming fan so it's interesting that it didn't place on your list.

Anyways, you sold me on Infinite Space, Mass Effect and Skies sounds great to me, I'll have to track down a copy.

yeah i played it, and pretty much got everything there was to get. just didn't interest me much.

to elaborate on infinite space- the tone is more mass effect, the battle system is kinda like skies's ship battle stuff. there are also some choices to be made, which sometimes affect who gets into your crew. buying ships, upgrading them with parts, and placing the right crew in the right spots are all part of the strategy.

Reuenthal

Banned
1. Witcher 2
2. Deus Ex Human Revolution
3. Batman Arkham City
4. Alice Madness Returns
5. Shogun 2 Total War
6. Space Marine
7. Serious Sam 3
8. Maybe Skyrim, I am thinking of possibly removing it entirely from my list.

yeah i played it, and pretty much got everything there was to get. just didn't interest me much.

to elaborate on infinite space- the tone is more mass effect, the battle system is kinda like skies's ship battle stuff. there are also some choices to be made, which sometimes affect who gets into your crew. buying ships, upgrading them with parts, and placing the right crew in the right spots are all part of the strategy.

I must research infinite space. Your explanation piqued my interest. And I'm always willing to be late to a party.

Hero

1. Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
2. Minecraft
3. Portal 2

This was mostly a backlog year for me. Probably waiting until GOTY versions come out for Skyrim and Batman. Probably will get Rayman and Super Mario 3D Land will have to wait until I really want a 3DS.

Hopefully 2012 is a better year.

1. Battlefield 3
2. Crysis 2
3. Killzone 3
4. Resistance 3
5. Uncharted 3
6. Dead Island
7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
8. Red Faction Armageddon
9. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II - Retribution
10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Strike

I had a pretty huge backlog so I really didn't get around to playing any 2011 titles until July. Here's my ranked list of all the titles I got to play from then until the time of this post.

BVXD0.jpg

1. Portal 2 - Funny, irreverent, clever, poignant. After all these years, the industry still has a lot to learn from Valve when it comes to proper storytelling. All done without fancy CG or flashy, cutting edge graphics. This game is a labor of love and a monumental achievement.

bREjR.jpg

2. Uncharted 3 - Perhaps the most surprising thing involving this game was that it didn't get the number one spot on my list. Something that I thought was all but assured when it was announced. A great game on it's own with few equals in terms of graphics, storytelling, and overall presentation. Despite that, it still wasn't good enough to emerge from the long shadow cast by its predecessor.

O3JpL.jpg

3. Batman: Arkham City - An improvement over the already stellar original in just about every way. The amount of fan service this game has is staggering. Best open world game I played in 2011, made even more impressive that this was running virtually hitch free on UE3.

xbLFr.jpg

4. Gears of War 3 - A tight and polished experience that wrapped up the current trilogy in a very satisfying way. The best Gears yet. The extra year of development really made a difference.

QVK8C.jpg

5. Resistance 3 - Personal, moody, and atmospheric, this was a stark contrast from the usual FPS fare. An underrated gem and a step back in the right direction for the series.

4IysM.jpg

6. inFAMOUS 2 - While not a massive improvement from the original, it's still a load of fun. Varied enough and well worth playing through twice to see both endings.

Am3bq.jpg

7. Dead Space 2 - Not as scary as the original, but the presentation was a noticeable improvement. There were quite a few memorable scenes that I had to youtube after the credits rolled just to watch them again. Very entertaining.

lYdQ6.jpg

8. Rage - A solid shooter with great art direction. Points for trying to do something different with the multiplayer mode since adding perks seems to the popular trend with other shooters right now.

SegWO.jpg

9. Crysis 2 - Good level design and fun to play, but ultimately forgettable.

kI6Xq.jpg

10. Killzone 3 - Solid gameplay mechanics and some notable improvements here and there (mainly graphics and controls), but ultimately seems unpolished and loses some of its identity in the process of trying to reach a wider audience.

x L.A. Noire - Incredible attention to detail and great performances, but its game mechanics are average at best. Pacing suffers 3/4 through game as well. This was great concept that ultimately wasn't executed as well as it could have. All that aside, with Team Bondi now defunct, provided that Rockstar still has interest in the ip, they could purchase the rights and do to do this what they did with the Red Dead ip. They certainly have the resources to do that.

Games that were excluded from the list due to time constraints:
Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

1. Zelda Skyward Sword
2. Uncharted 3
3. Rayman Origins
4. Portal 2
5. Topspin 4

6. Gears of War 3
7. Dead Space 2
8. Crysis2
9. Marvel Vs Capcom 3
10. PES 2012

Soma

1. Dark Souls

How do you go on to make a spiritual sequel to one of the most innovative and challenging action RPGs of recent years? Apparently you go bigger.

Ever since the announcement of Project Dark, this game has been quite possibly my most anticipated game of last year. I'm glad to say that it most definitely lived up to its predecessor, Demon's Souls, and honestly improved upon it in many ways. The impressive boss fights returned and provided some of the most intense moments in gaming that I've ever encountered and at times provided an extremely memorable experience when teaming up with a random player to tackle on a gigantic boss together. Very few games can provide such a unique experience as this game.

Everything from the amazing art style to the gorgeously grand soundtrack just hit the right notes with me. The change to a more open world environment was definitely a welcome addition to the game. The entire world felt connected and cohesive while keeping later areas varied and unique. Despite several things such as performance issues and online connectivity problems keeping this from being a perfect game, this is hands down my favorite game from 2011. It's definitely a game that one really has to devote quite a bit of time and discipline towards the level of challenge the game gives but Dark Souls rewards graciously for being patient and cautious of your surroundings. That rewarding experience alone is what brings this game above the others in my opinion.

2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Shadows Of The Damned
4. Battlefield 3
5. Portal 2
6. Catherine
7. Dead Space 2
8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
9. Littlebigplanet 2
10. Pokemon Black/White

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Uhhh...

1. Dark Souls
2. Total War: Shogun 2
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. Battlefield 3
5. Marvel vs Capcom 3
6. Catherine
7. The Witcher 2
8. Terraria
9. Portal 2
10. Dragon Nest

I guess, lol

GhaleonQ

I don't want to be a jerk or rush people who want to give full time to all contenders, but I would have loved to see CERTAIN QUALITY POSTERS set the tone for the topic earlier. The topic sucked for awhile there.

1) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

2) Portal 2

3) Dark Souls

4) Saints Row The Third

5) Batman: Arkham Asylum

6) Alice: Madness Returns

7) Dead Space 2

8) Gears of War 3

9) Dragon Age 2

10) Catherine

1. Dark Souls
2. The King of Fighters XIII
3. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
4. Hard Corps: Uprising
5. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
6. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
7. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls
8. Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll
9. Catherine
10. Yakuza 4

2010. Vanquish

please excuse my laziness.

Mael

1. Xenoblade Chronicle;Quite clearly the best RPG I've played in decades.

2. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together;
When people ask me what I want out of a game story, this is pretty much it.
the game is absolutely fabulous and as far as tactical games I think it's the giant on the shoulder of giants looking at all the others like they're ants

3. Mario Kart 7;I can't actually believe that they managed to do so much with that game.
The retro tracks are so freaking awesome and the new ones are fantastic.
for the rest it's Mario Kart at its finest.

4. Ghost Tricks;Pretty much everything from that game is how I wanted it so

5. The Legend of Zelda : Skyward Sword;Interesting with strong fundamentals but not exactly all I wanted in the end. too little exploration I guess.

6. Uncharted 3;It's pretty much everything I actually hate in game form (limited controls, all in the presentation, gameplay not that impressive...) but by god is it not the best made in that type.

7. Kirby's Return to Dream Land;I'm still amazed that this game ended up the way it was,
it's pretty much the perfect game I would have wanted made when I was younger.

8. Minecraft;Open ended and massive, I can't say I was disappointed with that one.

9. Super Mario 3D Land ;A lil bit on the meh side, gorgeous but that's the only reason it's there so far.

10. Killzone 3; nearly didn't make it at all, I can safely say that it would have been better if I tried with Move first :/

And if Xeno wasn't there Tactics Ogre would definitely be up there, heck I' m wondering if it shouldn't take a co 1rst place.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
To be honest, I knew Rayman was going to be at the top of your list because you raved about it a lot even before it was released (and that's part of the reason why I got it since I generally share similar views on platformers with you anyway... with a few exceptions). But since you didn't finish it as quickly as I had anticipated, I didn't think it was going to be your GotY. Seeing your impressions in the OT stopped making me feel that way, though, especially the 'lost relic of the 90s' bit.

Also, yes, Infinite Space is really great. I think it's quite underrated, but that's partly because it was released during a very busy RPG season in 2010. SEGA shoved nearly everything they wanted to release out there at the time, I guess.

Preeeetty sure I'd probably like Portal 2 if I could play 3D first-person-perspective stuff without getting sick (even with Gravol or other medicine/remedies that try to prevent it). Seeing all the mentions of it kinda makes me feel like I'm missing out. It's similar to how I feel about Mirror's Edge too since I can't play that either. :lol

1. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

2. Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

4. Portal 2

5. Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

6. Crysis 2

LTTP 2010: Alpha Protocol

1) Uncharted 3 (PS3)
2) Halo Anniversary (360)
3) Portal 2 (PC/PS3)
4) Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition (PC)
5) Infamous 2 / Festival of Blood (PS3/PSN)
6) Bastion (PC)
7) Alice Madness Returns (PC)
8) Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD (PSN)
9) Crysis 2 (PC)
10) Killzone 3 (PS3)

1. Skyrim
2. Dark Souls
3. Gears of War 3
4. Bastion
5. Dead Island
6. Battlefield 3
7. Sonic Generations
8. Mario Kart 7
9. Toy Soldiers: Cold War
10. Uncharted 3

2010: Just Cause 2

Honourable mentions to:
x. Guardian Heroes
x. Crysis 2
x. Portal 2
x. RAGE
x. Resident Evil 4 HD
x. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
x. From Dust
x. Fruit Ninja Kinect
x. Zelda: OoT 3DS
x. Super Mario Land 3D

1. Dark Souls
Outstanding game and my 2nd best game this gen only behind Demons Souls. Game has great environments, huge selection of weapons, armour, expanded abilities, brilliant large open worlds all cleverly interconnected and the way you can help or hinder people online is truly awesome.
Bravo "From Software" Bravo for creating my new best series in gaming.

2. Killzone 3
Hated by many but i really enjoyed the single player campaign with its variety, speeded up controls and visuals that blew me away. I've sunk over 100 hours into the multiplayer which is very enjoyable. Can't wait for a Killzone 4

3. Dead Space 2
Dead Space is my fav horror game since REmake and Res Evil 2 so expectations were high for DS2 and boy did this game shatter them. Improved anti-gravity sections, more varied envirnments, Improved controls, visuals and while not as scary as the 1st game its still good.
Just got my hardcore trophy for this yesterday. :)

4. Portal 2
Only briefly played Portal 1 so was looking forward to part 2 and wow what a ride. Game was funny, challenging and some of the factory area puzzles were real head scratchers. Great game.

5. Uncharted 3
Uncharted 2 is one of the best games i've ever played but while U3 raised the visual bar even higher which i never thought was possible. The game overall was very fun but not as good as U2

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Would like to know your thoughts for resistance 3 and uncharted 3 as well as for the future of the series.

I am almost done Resistance 3. Before I say anything else, it should be noted I play very few games online. I played about 4-5 hours of Bloodstone, and I've played about 4-5 hours of Left 4 Dead 1/2 combined, and I've played about 4-5 hours of TF2, and that's my online FPS experience this generation. If you're an online player, I have no idea if Resistance is a step back or forward. I know that the bulk of GAF's aggregate praise for R1 was the wonderful multiplayer, but it's not really something I play.

I think Resistance 3 is partially about Insomniac trying to do a Half-Life style light horror FPS. While nothing in the game (so far) has really compared to Ravenholm, there have been a number of creepy moments. I surprisingly enjoying the sequence on the riverboat. The train car graveyard around chapter 6-7 or so also reminded me a lot of Half-Life 2 although I can't point to any particular segment to explain why. Being holed up in the bar around chapter 8 or so reminded me of both being holed up in the swamp house near the end of Resistance 2, and being holed up at the end of Left 4 Dead's campaigns. I think the game's first few chapters were pretty great too, and a much more effective way of introducing people to the "safe" area before terrorizing them than Homefront, which did virtually the same thing to much less effect. I haven't seen any single chapter that has impressed me as much as seeing the first snow-covered area about 3/4 of the way through Resistance 1, though. I like the weapon level up system, I like the weapon wheel, and as always I feel like Insomniac is great at designing weapon types.

If they have a weakness in terms of weapons, it's that nothing other than really the Hedgehog feels super powerful to me. The Auger is so cool but it just doesn't feel significant. You get the Magnum very early as well, which also feels flimsy to me. Not as flimsy as most pea-shooters, of course, but just... not beefy. The Rossmore, as the shotgun, also lacks the kick of Doom or Fear's legendary shotguns. Some of this is because the Chimera in general are beefier than most grunt type enemies in games, but I think some of it is that they haven't quite nailed their hitstun / pain / enemy reaction mechanics as well as they should have. Gears of War also suffers from this in my opinion.

So far I like it better than Resistance 2. I think the weapon wheel is one reason, and no regenerating health is another. I actually don't have anything against regenerating health, but I don't like the design implications of having it. With regenerating health, games become about biding your time, but since their shooting mechanics are rarely deep enough, it doesn't feel like strategy, it feels like attrition. Without regenerating health, each time you pop out from cover and each angle you set up feels significant. I like to approach a combat scenario by using the auger to thing stuff out before proceeding to actually make myself visible. I play most games on hard difficulty (normally I choose one up from the middle)--but I found Resistance 2 a bit frustrating so I'm opting to play R3 on the medium difficulty. I'm not really finding it challenging.

If I do have a gripe with R3, it's probably that each individual encounter has too many enemies. I feel like I've mastered the map, cracked the strategy to it... and then I'll still have to fight for another five minutes before moving on. This makes the whole game's pacing a little slower than I'd like, and is one of the reasons why I haven't finished it yet.

I don't remember what the skill point setup was like in R2, but I really like Skill Points in most Insomniac games, and I really liked them in Resistance 1 because it bugged the shit out of me that the PS3 didn't have an equivalent to the 360's achievement system. R3's equivalent setup impresses me less. I'm not sure if that's a factor of trophies in general supplanting in-game systems or if Insomniac just ran out of time a little.

I like the 3D mode and it's been my go-to retail PS3 game to show the 3DTV, although the framerate seems occasionally low. I especially like when a Chimera gets up in your face and tries to Melee you. It's very overwhelming. It should be.

I thought Nathan Hale was a shitty main character, I didn't like the overall plot of either of the first two games, I don't really like Capelli as a main character, and I don't really like the plot of this game so far. I do like the premise of Resistance, and I think there are some neat ideas, and I like Capelli-as-family-man even if it's a little shallow, but as a whole the game's world and fiction don't do it for me. Maybe there'll be a twist at the end of R3 that changes my mind. So far I have things ranked Resistance FoM > R3 > R2. I didn't dislike R2 and I'm not a jaded fan, but it is the weakest installment of the three to me.

Overall I think Resistance is a much better franchise than Killzone, and a much better franchise than most FPS out there. I don't think Resistance is quite spectacular, though, at least not the single player mode. I really like Insomniac as a company, and I own almost every game they've developed (missing Deadlocked and Disruptor--I'm not sure anyone will blame me for those omissions). I'm not sure where they go from here. It's clear the franchise hasn't broken through into the kind of multi-million top tier of sales that Sony would obviously like. I don't think the story is significant or good enough to really need to stick with it--if Sony doesn't want to continue with Resistance, I'd still like to see Insomniac do maybe a spiritual sequel or another retro-future sci-fi horror FPS. There isn't a whole lot new in R3, but the shift in tone more towards horror or suspense is a good one and I think Insomniac is fairly good at pulling it off.

I'm only maybe a quarter of the way through U3. I got it for Christmas. So far it reminds me more of U2 than U1, and I'm one of the few who liked U1 better. I hope to finish it in the next week or so. I'd love to hear your thoughts (spoiler-free, of course!) I got Kagari to spoil me about who Drake ends up with romantically about a day after the game came out, ahhaha, I'm such a girl. U2 wouldn't have made my top ten of 2009, U3 so far wouldn't make my top ten this year. I'd have given U1 an A+ and U2 an A if I had to give letter grades.

GhaleonQ

Yeah, I suck. I know. :p

I meant AniHawkDOUBLEBURNYEAH.

But, yeah, you, Ani, and a bunch of others. It's not like this is super important so people shouldn't use up their time posting descriptions if they can't, but it lacked the critical mass of people willing to do that for pages.

1. Battlefield 3

2. Rocksmith

3. Uncharted 3

4. Dead Space 2

5. Mortal Kombat

6. Witcher 2

7. Modern warfare 3

8. 007 Bloodstone

9. Happy Wheels

10.Rage

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
1. Portal 2
2. Uncharted 3
3. Resistance 3
4. The Witcher 2
5. Bulletstorm
6. Killzone 3
7. Dead Space 2
8. Mass effect 2
9. L.A.Noire
10. Crysis 2

bluehat9

1. Super Mario 3D Land ; starts slow, but wow after it gets going.
2. Portal 2 ;
3. Legend of Zelda: Skyward sword ;
4. Professor Layton and the Last Specter ;
5. Rayman Origins ;
6. Mario Kart 7 ;
7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 ;
8. Plants vs. Zombies ;
9. Pilotwings Resort ;
10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters ; because I finally got a game with Augusta in it.

2010. Donkey Kong Country Returns ;

1) Xenoblade Chronicles;
2) Deus Ex: Human Revolution;
3) Portal 2;
4) Ghost Trick;
5) Mario Kart 7;
6) Zelda: Skyward Sword;
7) de Blob 2;
8) Super Mario 3D Land;
9) Dead or Alive: Dimensions;
10) StarFox 64 3D;

i'll add my thoughts later

Wallach

Just to be clear on the rules, King of Dragon Pass (iOS) would count for this, right? There were some minor changes and new additions made in the move to iOS, and obviously the base functionality of the game had to change to work on the screen.

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Having had so much linearity shoved in our faces the last few years thanks to Half Life and Call of Duty, it's so refreshing to have someone go back to the master of game design and take a number of cues from it.
2. Yakuza 4; If this series continued to use the same formula to a tenth game, I'd still buy it. I loved how they tried to mix it up with the new characters and how they set out the story. About the only thing that really pissed me off in this game was pachislot. Fuck that mini-game.
3. Portal 2; It had a lot to live up to and while I don't think it reached the same heights as the original, it still added enough new mechanics to the formula to result in a fantastic game that I didn't regret buying at full price. The paint mechanics (from Tag: The Power of Paint) and co-op were fantastic additions.
4. Dead Space 2; While I enjoyed the original and thought that it was the RE5 we never got, I still had a few problems with it. Dead Space 2 managed to solve a number of them while coming up with an interesting story and freaky new enemies (f'n velociraptors). There were some issues with the ending but overall, it was a pretty fantastic game.
5. LittleBigPlanet 2; This is another game that took me until the end of the year to actually start but I was amazed at how much more fun the story mode was compared to the original. They don't really focus on the iffy platforming, there's a lot more variety and levels don't drag on and on. Add the user levels to the equation with even more tools at this disposal than before and I could probably play this game forever.
6. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception; Despite being one of my three biggest disappointments of the year (the other two being Batman: Arkham City and Assassin's Creed: Revelations), Uncharted 3 wasn't bad at all but I wouldn't say that it lives up to the greatness of the last two games either. There's some amazing set pieces in there but I don't really think they fit together in a coherent way and that pulled me out of the experience.
7. Catherine; Atlus took some really mature plot points and wrapped it in a story that was interesting from beginning to end. And while I'll openly admit that I'm awful at the puzzles, I recognise their significance to the story and that, if I actually practised, I'd probably get a lot better at them.
8. Infamous 2; I'm not entirely sure why but having loved the first game, I was actually kinda disappointed by Infamous 2. The mechanics are still mostly the same and the graphics are far better but it just didn't give me the same high as the original. Off the top of my head, I think it has something to do with the difficulty. In the original, nothing could touch me once I'd beat Kessler. But in this one? I don't think I ever got that feeling. In fact, it seemed like the further I got through the game, the more I got manhandled. It just felt very unsatisfying. The areas of the city covered in water weren't exactly fun either.
9. Dynasty Warriors 7; Having played the 6th game for 30 minutes and really disliking it, I gave 7 a shot and found it recaptured the fun that I had with the old ones. Even after I lost a 60 hour save, I was still willing to start from scratch 6 months later and platinum it.
10. From Dust; Not so much a god game as a puzzle game, I had a blast playing it. Manipulating the terrain was so much fun, I'd love to see a sequel come out in the near future.
x. Dragon Age 2; It overused some environments to an absurd level and the story fell apart at the end but I still really enjoyed this game. There were a number of aspects where the progression from the original was pretty obvious (like the far better art style) but EA's schedule really screwed over what could've been a really good game.
x. Batman: Arkham City; As I mentioned above, this was one of my three most disappointing games of the year. My biggest problem with it was the story. It didn't seem like it was particularly well written or designed, with massive parts of it feeling like nothing but filler and Batman just overlooking very obvious things because that was convenient for the story. Catwoman's inclusion was also a complete waste of time (and money if you bought the game second hand), with her missions offering nothing to the actual story aside from a couple of lame cameos. The only reason I'm even giving this game an honourable mention is actually because of the side quests. Almost all of them were really interesting and fun, involving characters that aren't super over-exposed like Joker (who at this point, bores me) and far more interesting uses of your abilities.

2010. Nier; It was a tight race between this and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker but Nier only just come out in front thanks to its fantastic story, amazing soundtrack and really fun gameplay. It saddens me that we'll never get a sequel.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
1. Dark Souls - Not as pure quality as Demon's Souls, but still the best game of the year by far. The intricately designed interweaving world not just for level design but also for lore, the sheer quantity of enemy variation, and of course that all important top of the entire industry combat, atmosphere, and online interactivity and innovation.
2. Yakuza 4 - Fantastic cast of characters, greatly spun story, some fantastic audio tracks and just a much better execution of the formula than 3. Akiyama was a joy. Still not sure if I like this or 2 the most.
3. Rayman Origins - Gorgeous 2D art, fun and frantic platformer. Hell, I haven't finished it yet so theres a good chance it deserves to be higher, the Treasure Chest Chases alone put this above most Mario efforts and all other platformers of late.
4. Infamous 2: Festival of Blood - I'm putting this in place of Infamous 2, because for bang for your buck, this title provides absolutely unparalleled value. Being shorter as well, I just enjoyed it more strangely. Felt tighter.
5. Batman Arkham City - Good but not great. As I feared, the Metroidvania formula was gone in favour of sandbox antics. Gliding was great fun, still one of the best games this gen, but Asylum just had a finer quality to it in both gameplay, pacing, and story. Bosses however were obviously superior here.
6. Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - I enjoyed it, what can I say. This is the guiltiest place on my list, but the game just stayed with me for whatever reason. It has its fair share of shit, but when it executes on pure plane missions, I was having a ball. Controversially I loved enough of the OST too (White Devil, Hurricane, Infiltrator)
7. Portal 2 - A fun time was had by all, but it was missing something. The 2nd Act in the old APERTURE was the peak, and the 3rd act with boring tractor beams took all the momentum out of the game. Literally. Also Valve deserve to be punished for the lazyness of an FMV ending.
8. Catherine - Greatly enjoyed the story, the morality stuff was a bit confusing in how I was trying to position myself, but a real outside the box game. Puzzles made me think enough for me to rate it as: pretty swell.
9. El Shaddai - There are so many fucking strange and infuriating game design decisions in this title, but I'll be damned if it isn't absolutely goddam gorgeous. Breath of fresh air with truly artistic style on show.
10. Killzone 3 - A massive step down from Killzone 2. Both in quality of graphics (I miss that post-processing look too much, crisper look be damned) and multiplayer being gutted of all that was good. Saving grace is the fantastic move controls that made it feel something fresh to play and are very well executed.

Disappointments of the Year
x. Uncharted 3 - when it was revealed The Last of Us had been in dev with another half of ND, it was a real "ohhhh, so thats why this was painfully average" moment of explanation. The aiming fuckup is a black mark I'd hoped such a top tier dev studio would never make, and it all just felt like a title treading water with the same ideas and structure of 2, just seemingly without either the talent or time to bring it all in a helluva lot tighter.
x. LBP2 - I was once SO excited by this franchise. It seemed like the start of something so new. For whatever reason, its fizzled almost completely. Single Player was fine, but the enemy of this 'make levels!!' thing was that when the downright broken socially yet wired right for strange programming people are pandered to, it ostracises everyone else. Why even bother making a level when some unemployed prodigy has spent all month making a fully working Afterburner or Doom.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
PoRpH.png

1. Portal 2 ; It's an awful way to open your post by saying 'I can't really think of anything else to add,' but, well, I can't really think of anything else to add. It's a longer and stronger sequel without an ounce of fat on it. Nearly every element of P2 could be selected as a highlight. The multiplayer especially surprised though. So many cooperative games feel like side-by-side single player, but this involved genuine teamwork, and solving those puzzles as Orange and Blue with a friend felt so damn rewarding. As did dropping a friend in goop, of course.

LPvWV.png

2. Serious Sam 3: BFE ; At the end of the ninth stage, while battling eighty trillion dudes and a fuggin' alien spaceship, Sam says something along the lines of, "It's time to quit with the foreplay and get ... serious." How self-referential! But he wasn't talking about himself, he was talking about his game. SS3 gets off to a 'what the hell is this?' start for the first two levels, then wipes the table clean for the third stage and gets down to business, where you fight a giant rocket-pumping mechanical alien around a small Egyptian building with wide doors on each side for it to blast you through. Every time you pick up a new weapon (like the crunchy double-barreled shotgun or whurrrRRRRRRRRR-ing minigun) or meet a new enemy, the game cleans the table again, setting up something even crazier. SS3 just elevates and elevates and elevates until BLAOW, it finally ascends into god-tier eff pee essin'. All over your face. Then it elevates some more, because it can. SS3 is basically Psyduck.gif: The Video Game, glorious insanity. It also gets pegged as being 'mindless' or a shooter that 'harkens back to the good ol' days of Doom,' which annoys me on a level you can't even begin to understand. The reality is Doom was never, ever, ever this batshit insane and I'm always thinking while mowing down hundreds of aliens. I have to. I'm rationing out ammo here, dammit, and there are dozens of skeletons charging, a bunch of one-eyed gorilla things trying to pummel me, some bulls behind them, I'm getting random rockets from who knows where an- AHHhHHHhhHHHhhHHHh. 2011 had a ton of hyped-up shooters, but Sam felt way more progressive than any of that same ol' same ol' nonsense. Too bad none of you played it!

MmqVf.png

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; There's an admittedly decent number of things I could ding this game for, thinking back. I just wasn't bothered all that much though. When I arrived at Shanghai I spent a good hour just running around, soaking up the atmosphere and looking through this beautiful Chinese city. I didn't turn in or pick up a single quest. What for? I got such a kick out of exploring the hubs and dungeons, I had to see everything. I was also quite pleased with how the story unfolded, how it concluded (even if the endings felt largely similar). I liked Jensen quite a bit. I also really liked stabbing people with those metal arms.

HZgYI.png

4. Alice: Madness Returns ; I've known a few pretty but royally fucked up flawed Alices. A:MR is no different, but this one's heart really is in the right place. The platforming and combat felt great, even if the pacing nagged more often than it should have. The art design was absolutely peerless last year, even if the odd low-res texture would emerge to say hi. When it all synced up though? When it all synced up I was thrown up into the clouds, leaping across bridges and castles made of cards to this haunting little melody. It took my breath away, and was my favorite gaming moment of last year, actually. Alice earns her top five spot for that alone, but there were plenty of other moments to cherish, thankfully.

3Q7nY.png

5. Rage ; I judge all proper manshoots by their shotguns, and Rage had some meaty, filthy-ass shotguns, let me tell you. It also had the best gunplay since the first F.E.A.R. and some wonderful hit detection along with slippery enemy movement. The shooting was so damn good I almost forgot about the complete lack of challenge. Almost! Could've been id software's best game if not for that, but still, what a thrill this game provides when you bust out a shotty or a pistol loaded with fat momma bullets and get your dudebeast on. id's games are still must-plays for me.

bUVhh.png
0cpJP.png
zeVwM.png
xeZta.png
xXCCG.png

6. Gemini Rue ; I took a big interest in adventure games last year, playing through '90s PC classics and Japanese DS gems, loving all of it. GR though, this was something special. Even with its technical shortcomings, the atmosphere and artwork were so rich, I honestly thought it was one of the more visually pleasing games of 2011. The cover-based shooting mechanics were smart and worked quite well, the puzzles were fun, the story had me hooked - GR had it all. A highlight of the genre now.

7. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ; I didn't finish my Iorveth playthrough in time for this, so oh well. I also much preferred the final act and how the choice / consequence stuff worked from the first game. Still, I very much enjoyed TW2. Some hysterical moments, some eye-popping scenery, some great fights and, of course, Roche beating up errybody.

8. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective ; Ghost Trick had the best name of any game last year, real talk. It also had some clever puzzles and relentlessly charming characters. The story, twist after surprise after WTF reveal, veered off into crazy anime plot territory and I gave zero fucks. Actually, I liked that. Everything was so wild. The silky smooth animation gave this already-lovable cast even more personality, too. I don't know, I feel like I should sum this up some other way, say something wittier at least, although maybe I needn't have to: playing Ghost Trick just made me feel extremely happy. I had a smile on my face the entire time and I love it for that. Absolutely adorable game.

9. Radiant Historia ; I didn't think the world of 2011's games overall, but I have to say, it most certainly wasn't because there was a lack of quality RPGs. RH made me feel a little cross-eyed at times with all its timeline hopping and I realllllyyyyy would have loved a proper in-game map of some sort, but it can still hang with the best of 2011, easily. The grid-based, turn-based combat system was all sorts of damn good, and the surprising turns the plot took were always exciting, but I think it was ultimately the cast I enjoyed the most. Extremely fond of this bunch~

10. Batman: Arkham City ; Kind of had a rough start with this, also still not as crazy about the slick-but-too-simple combat as seemingly everyone else is. I was eventually won over. It is very much a 'turn everything up to 11' sequel that worked its ass off to impress. The stealth sections were my favorite gameplay bits here, dismantling juggabros one by one was extremely satisfying. Then there was flying over the city, boss fights that were actually fun this time around (whoa!), everything about the Joker and - oh yeah - hello, kitty.

x. 2010. Fallout New Vegas ; Primm Slim, yo.

I kind of regret not playing more last year as I was largely disappointed outside of my top ten. I can't see how Yakuza 4 wouldn't have landed somewhere on my list at least, and I know a number of reliable people who swear by Rayman. I don't think I bought more than one PSN / XBLA game either - Deathsmiles IIX, which I needed to put more time into - and speaking of that, I wish I had shelled out the money for some Cave imports. My list would probably have looked different if I decided to play more new stuff overall. Oh well, I guess.

(Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes with the way I listed things, but feel free to call me out if so.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

But, yeah, you, Ani, and a bunch of others. It's not like this is super important so people shouldn't use up their time posting descriptions if they can't, but it lacked the critical mass of people willing to do that for pages.
Totally agree. It's easier to justify why you picked your games as opposed to justifying your favourite soundtrack in the soundtrack of the year thread.

Even a few sentences would be rather sufficient, imo.

AniHawk

i wanted to go more into detail on most of them, but i was tired, and could only think of negative things to say about batman, zelda, rayman, etc.

infinite space, for instance, warrants more than 'mass effect meets skies of arcadia', even if it's the general feeling i got from the game. there's a pretty surprising twist in the middle of the story, and a really great twist at the end of the game that makes the entire story a lot more important. ...not that the story is something you should play the game for, or anything. the spaceship battles are a lot of fun, and there are plenty of different strategies to employ, even if it does get easy to break the game in the end.

skyward sword never becomes incredible, but the last dungeon almost does. it's a great idea let down by some standard level design. that's sort of what the whole game feels like- that there is some great stuff simmering beneath the surface, and all you get is something less impressive. not mediocre or bad, but more like nintendo was pulling their punches. the pacing was really good though. when you're not flying around the sky, the game moves pretty quickly since you're usually doing dungeony things.

Pranay

"Resistance 3 impressions."

I'm only maybe a quarter of the way through U3. I got it for Christmas. So far it reminds me more of U2 than U1, and I'm one of the few who liked U1 better. I hope to finish it in the next week or so. I'd love to hear your thoughts (spoiler-free, of course!) I got Kagari to spoil me about who Drake ends up with romantically about a day after the game came out, ahhaha, I'm such a girl. U2 wouldn't have made my top ten of 2009, U3 so far wouldn't make my top ten this year. I'd have given U1 an A+ and U2 an A if I had to give letter grades.

Thanks for the well detailed impressions of the game.

Resistance 3 was my first console fps which i finished and enjoyed. Have been mostly a PC gamer but had decided to venture to other platforms this time.
I had zero expectation from the game seeing the amount of backlash it got [R2] on GAF and Resistance 1 which i found a bit generic and also felt motion sick after a while]
But after playing R3, i enjoyed it from the get go and found a refreshing change from other fps thanks to the weapon wheel and Health Packs. Also I loved the effects in the game.
Story was a bit underwheliming but after playing Crysis 2, i didnt find it that bad :p.

@Uncharted 3. [short spoiler free impression]

I Actually didnt feel that uncharted 3 was similar to uncharted 2. Uncharted 3 was more of an adventure game for 50% of the time, later turning into a shooter which uncharted 2 was.
The First 4 chapters were underwhelming and left me disappointed considering how hyped i was for the game. However the game kept getting better and better and i throughly enjoyed 90% of the game there after.
The game had some brilliant moments [which i hope you also enjoy] and also has some of the best levels in the series.
The Puzzles in the game was a nice improvement as well.

The Flow of the Story and Lack of Gameplay improvements were '-ve' aspects for me.
I like that we can mix [Stealth, Melee and shoot] during gun fights.
Problem is when i use strealth i wish if the "strealth" was as good as the other stealth games and while doing melee i wish it was as good as "batman" for example.

Lack of choices and player control also hurts a bit

[cause i wish i had enough control to do this ]

uncharted3punch8umi.gif
and this http://www.abload.de/img/uncharted3riflequxo.gif

during melee but i couldnt because Drake would only do it if you performed it in a certain manner. [in a scripted way, you can say]

Their is a Grab Button which is pretty much useless unless you are near a window where you can throw the enemy out of the window.
I wish it would had a much better use then just doing this.
So Pretty the Problem with Melee is that it lacks depth and also the players has less control over what he wants to do.
Also it was a bit unbalanced since you can pretty much kill the enemy with one kick to the head while jumping from a object while it took few punches/bullets if you normally press O or X.

I Pretty much welcome more focus on Melee and Stealth since i used that most of the time, however i hope for the next game adds more player control and Variety to it with Smart Enough AI to make the Game More Challenging and fun. I liked the gunfights in uncharted 3 but it was pretty much same as uncharted 2 [ a bit more dynamic since some levels were well designed, open and offered different tactics which made mix up a lot of stuffs and made it an awesome experience].

The Set Pieces, Exploration, Chase Sequences, felt like a step above uncharted 2 so i have no complaints here. Also i liked Certain aspects of the story as well as use of characters in the game. Glad ND took out most of the platformming in this game since i did feel it was the weakest thing in the uncharted series. The platformming in uc3 for most of the parts took place during gun fights or for short traversal so it didnt bother me much.
Overall the Single Player is quite good and for which i would give it an 8/10.
However the Multiplayer and CO OP in this game is fantastic and also i would say one of the most underrated mp in the PS3. So basically this is my reason for it being by game of the year + lack of games i played in 2011 as well.

TBH I am huge fan of this series but i generally believe that none of the games in this series are iconic or a legendary or a gem but i do believe that the series has the potential to keep on improving and produce a gem of a game which will top the previous 3.
I hope ND this time dont Rush the Game and
dont make a game revolving around set pieces

Well this is what i think about uncharted 3 and well i expected i guess a bit too much and most of the changes which i wanted seems more of a fan wish more then anything i guess.
Anyways Uncharted 2 is my fav game in the series, loved the characters and left a great lasting impression and moments which is why i love the series as a whole a lot.
Looking Forward to The Last of Us/ Uncharted GA and hopefully uncharted 4 on the next gen system.

I got Kagari to spoil me about who Drake ends up with romantically about a day after the game came out, ahhaha, I'm such a girl

After you finish the game, see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKrm112QhrE&feature=player_embedded

Drake's Real Love :p 'spoilers'

Wrekt

1. Saints Row The Third
2. Skyrim
3. Portal 2
4. Gears of War 3
5. Orcs Must Die
6. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
7. Terraria
8. Mortal Kombat
9. Frozen Synapse
10. Dungeon Defenders

1. Dark Souls - Best gameplay this gen.
2. Portal 2 - Smart, and treats the player like they're smart too.
3. Skyrim - Busted yet wholly engrossing. Crappy lows, brilliant highs.
4. Little Big Planet 2 - No game world makes me smile more.
5. Uncharted 3 - Amazing production propels a slightly tired formula forward

1. Portal 2 (PS3) - A game that made me laugh and never felt boring or badly paced, got through it in two sessions and loved every minute of it

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC) - Never was a fan of Bethesda games until Skyrim but something about it just clicks perfectly not sure what it is

3. Catherine (PS3) - Enjoyed the puzzles, loved the story and was just a unique game

4. LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3) - LBP 1 but better in everyway, pretty much everything I could have ever asked for in a sequel

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) - Singleplayer is better than MW2's, the Spec-Ops is as good as ever, and the multiplayer is as addictive and fun as its always been. I'm getting a bit tired of the formula but I can't deny I loved it

6. Football Manager 2012 (PC) - Sometimes I find this game boring and can't play at all, other times it is the most insanely addictive game I've ever played and right now I'm in the latter mood

7. Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3) - Haven't played ultimate yet but I had so much fun with the original that I have to put it here can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a fighting game

8. Fifa 12 (PS3) - Some interesting new changes to the formula that took a while to get used to but it's still an amazingly fun game to play online with or against friends

9. L.A. Noire (PS3) - When I first started playing this game I thought it'd be much closer to the top of my list but as it went on it started to drag, but playing this in black and white was just a great experience. The shooting was horrible though

10. Alice: Madness Returns (PC) - I'm still only near the start of this game but the art style is amazing, it's simply beautiful. Gameplay isn't bad either

x. Dark Souls (PS3) - Not far into it but I completely understand where all the hype comes from

2010: Persona 3 Portable (PSP) - First Atlus game, just wow

Most disappointing: Battlefield 3 (PS3) - Game is terrible, Bad Company 2 was better in everyway. (I'm sure multiplayer is great in PC version)

Feindflug

1. Batman: Arkham City
2. Bastion
3. Gears of War 3
4. Dead Space 2
5. Deadly Premonition
6. Shadows of the Damned
7. Resistance 3
8. Portal 2
9. Rage
10. Alice: Madness Returns

x. Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine