• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2012 - Voting Thread, now closed. Thanks for all the fish.

Nert

even virtue's last reward wasn't really that close to the same level as 999, but it best mimics the ideas that 999 had, especially in working in story and game design. both games wind up having stories that can only be told through video games, and rely on the player understanding traditional video game mechanics to tell the story.

When I eventually pick up a 3DS, I'm going to have to play through 999 and VLR. You basically described what I love about the storytelling in Spec Ops: The Line in two sentences.

The power of the Walking Dead lies in the character interactions, in that it's actually you interacting with the characters instead of some idiot rednecks talking to each other in the terrible show or some cartoon villain menacing everyone in the shitty comic book. You can actually see this fall apart in Episode 4 where a big time Hollywood writer came in and ruined everything with his "set-piece" moments, character stupidity for the point of plot expediency, and terrible pandering girl ninja character.

Yeah, episode 4 was the worst of the bunch for me. The ninja character and the surge of corny dialogue were noticeable.
Why the fuck was Chuck saying things like "Ask not for whom the bell tolls?"

storl026

1. Journey ; it was the best co-op experience I've ever had. My first time through the game was with one other person, beginning to end.
2. The Walking Dead ; an amazing value, I eagerly waited for the new episodes to see where the story would go.
3. New Super Mario Bros. 2 ; I could play a new 2D Mario every year for the rest of my life, and not get tired of them.
4. Mutant Mudds ; a great Mega Man -esque 2D platformer.
5. Assassin's Creed III ; I played it.

That's all the new games I played this year. :-(

Eusis

I wanted to get to this before GotY voting phase ended but noooo... :(

I'm sorry.

To be fair, I read a lot of lists in the thread so I probably forgot since a lot of people voted for it as well. I feel bad.
I actually probably would have put Mark of the Ninja on my list had I played it more, but I didn't get around to it. Probably doesn't help that I got it as consolation for when my cat suddenly died, so I wasn't really in the mood to dig in, the violence in particular was getting to me more than it usually would too as a result. Maybe I'll save it for LTTP next time.

It's weird, there were a lot of games I was anticipating for 2012, Halo 4 most of all. Most of them disappointed me one way or another(again, Halo 4 most of all). My top 5(Mark of the Ninja, TWD, Spec Ops, Journey, Akai Katana) were NOWHERE on my radar and genuinely surprised me.

Perhaps 2013 will be like that as well.

Biff

Journey is just lost on me, however. I really don't grasp how it was emotional affecting, and I felt that despite the incredibly short length the ending was poorly paced

I honestly think it has to do with making a connection with a completely anonymous person online.

Is that worth GOTY? IMO, no. I gave it a nod on my list, but not the top spot. For me, at the end of the day, it's a 4 hour game with limited replayability that devolves into treasure hunting. I can see why some people will be bothered.

It's like the Juno of gaming.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's weird, there were a lot of games I was anticipating for 2012, Halo 4 most of all. Most of them disappointed me one way or another(again, Halo 4 most of all). My top 5(Mark of the Ninja, TWD, Spec Ops, Journey, Akai Katana) were NOWHERE on my radar and genuinely surprised me.

Perhaps 2013 will be like that as well.

If 2013 is the same there's going to be an absurd amount of big name screw ups, lol.

I honestly think it has to do with making a connection with a completely anonymous person online.

Is that worth GOTY? IMO, no. I gave it a nod on my list, but not the top spot. For me, at the end of the day, it's a 4 hour game with limited replayability that devolves into treasure hunting. I can see why some people will be bothered.

It's like the Juno of gaming.

I see the appeal to that, but I experience that in many games. *shrug*

I do think the game actually blended the drop in and out aspect well as I was surprised when I saw I was with multiple people.

NFreak

Journey is just lost on me, however. I really don't grasp how it was emotional affecting, and I felt that despite the incredibly short length the ending was poorly paced

For me it was all about starting the game up then meeting with a random stranger and going trough the "Journey" together with no forms of communication other than that little whistle or ring. It's just something I personally never experienced in a game before and it really was a joy. I don't think the formula could really do it for me through the course of multiple games like Journey but for what it is, it was easily one of my favorites of the year.

But there is a reason why my top 2 games were above Journey. Everything about them were more "video-gamey" than anything else I played this year.

Riposte

Click the first image of the "i" entry of my GotY list. That's kind of how I see this whole situation.

Do you mean to tell me all those paintings by Western Europeans, depicting this Middle Eastern man as having white porcelain skin and volumized hair, weren't historically accurate?

Turning white was one of messiah's superpowers.

AniHawk

When I eventually pick up a 3DS, I'm going to have to play through 999 and VLR. You basically described what I love about the storytelling in Spec Ops: The Line in two sentences.

i should warn you that both do it in a text-heavy way. virtue's last reward is more game-like and less repetitive, but 999 is the better thing overall.

sixghost

Is Journey's coop that much different than the co-op in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? It seems like they share quite a few ideas. Non-verbal communication, playing with strangers, etc.

I wish there was a way to measure a "just didn't get around to/first thing next year" game. That would be interesting. If people are pretty sure a game would have ended up on their list or had heard really good things about it but didn't get to it in time or didn't have money or something. Would be fun to compare it to the next years last years award.

AniHawk

The power of the Walking Dead lies in the character interactions, in that it's actually you interacting with the characters instead of some idiot rednecks talking to each other in the terrible show or some cartoon villain menacing everyone in the shitty comic book. You can actually see this fall apart in Episode 4 where a big time Hollywood writer came in and ruined everything with his "set-piece" moments, character stupidity for the point of plot expediency, and terrible pandering girl ninja character.

for his sake, he better not make a neogaf account!!

Binary Domain is the confusing one for me. I just thought that was thoroughly, incredibly mediocre. Yeah ok, you can shoot the body parts off and the robots react in funny ways, that was fun for about a hour or so.

Neiteio

I wish there was a way to measure a "just didn't get around to/first thing next year" game. That would be interesting. If people are pretty sure a game would have ended up on their list or had heard really good things about it but didn't get to it in time or didn't have money or something. Would be fun to compare it to the next years last years award.
Maybe we should make this our preliminary GOTY and then have a "OK, FOR REAL THIS TIME GUYS" GOTY vote in mid-2013, so we can have a more holistic vote having played more 2012 games
and more people will realize in hindsight they have no desire to ever touch Journey or TWD again

SteeloDMZ

Banned

...Jesus was black?!

game-jesus-piece-cover.jpg

Massa

I'll have to edit some more comments later if I have the time.

1. The Walking Dead ; Just an incredibly well put together game. The gameplay mechanics and the excellent writing support each other all the way through to create an incredible atmosphere and griping story that sticks with you.
2. LittleBigPlanet Playstation Vita
3. Mass Effect 3
4. Gravity Rush
5. Journey
6. Hotline Miami
7. Unit 13
8. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
9. Wipeout 2048
10. Velocuty
x. FTL
2011. Portal 2.

Unfortunately I didn't get to play Dishonored and XCOM yet. I also didn't vote for Persona 4 or Rayman Origins since they are not original 2012 games.

for his sake, he better not make a neogaf account!!

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee!"

"We're the cookies!"

Maybe we should make this our preliminary GOTY and then have a "OK, FOR REAL THIS TIME GUYS" GOTY vote in mid-2013, so we can have a more holistic vote having played more 2012 games
and more people will realize in hindsight they have no desire to ever touch Journey or TWD again

I've played through certain episodes of the Walking Dead four times
partially because the game is so fucked technically, partially because it's awesome.

Riposte

Is Journey's coop that much different than the co-op in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? It seems like they share quite a few ideas. Non-verbal communication, playing with strangers, etc.

To put it bluntly: Journey is liked more because it is dumbed down, which also makes it a novelty due to how dumbed down it is (in other words it is not recognizable). That might just sound like a flat insult, but consider how mechanics and challenges (frustration) can get in the way of things. In other games people might fuck it up for you or been seen as threats. There is even a large segment of videogame players who won't even touch multiplayer games and just assume everyone on Xbox Live are racist/sexist/homophobic/pot-smoking "dudebros". Journey is kind of like that art piece that has no real merit, but makes some point about our daily lives or whatever (the difference would be that Journey is also considered beautiful and sounds nice). I would think the "lesson" of Journey would make people appreciate what goes on in co-op games more often (like I do, even in games like Resident Evil 5 or 6), but it seems to have an opposite effect.

Binary Domain is the confusing one for me. I just thought that was thoroughly, incredibly mediocre. Yeah ok, you can shoot the body parts off and the robots react in funny ways, that was fun for about a hour or so.

IDK, at its worst it is a very competent Gears clone with fetching visuals and story/characters are a lot of people are going to find interesting. Seems like a recipe that would at least justify some popularity. I obviously think it is more than that though (I think it is better than most Gears campaigns for one).

Nah. I'm probably never going to touch thirty flights of loving ever again but it's in my top.

Edit: MGS4 was awesome f the haters

IrishNinja

Yeah but that's because they tried it in response to a game.

SHAZAM.

Also we all mad for Snake's buttocks.

yeah, the same GAF that put ME2 > Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta etc was the same one that reelected MGS4 over games that weren't turrible

it was a worthwhile experiment, hopefully Ground Zeroes reminds people what a good MGS is like so they can stop pretending tho

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I've always thought this would be a good idea, and is why I'm generally against how the media has GotY stuff at the end of the year (Snubbing stuff like Far Cry 3 in the process). A lot of people go to burn through last minute games, likely ending in the list itself in the end. Time to let it all sink in can be important with a game. I know I atleast but Saints Row 3 waaaaaay higher than I would've normally last year.

Seems pretty unavoidable though. Even if you do a retry later in the year, it's not like people still aren't digging into 2012 games letting this effect always be present. I'm sure the thread itself would also not get nearly as many contributions.

Neiteio

yeah, the same GAF that put ME2 > Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta etc was the same one that reelected MGS4 over games that weren't turrible

it was a worthwhile experiment, hopefully Ground Zeroes reminds people what a good MGS is like so they can stop pretending tho
I don't know what to make of this. Maybe GAF's like that creature at the end of "At the Mountains of Madness." Shifting, chaotic... Slightly moist.

10. Pokemon Conquest -Very interesting game, pretty fun it's a good warm up to new fire emblem and pokemon coming out soon.

Holy crap, I completely forgot Pokemon Conquest came out this year. Shit!

Now I have to decide if I'm going to change my list at the last minute! Agh!

Eh it's a list on the internet.

This is GAF's GOTY list. It's sacred. Trust me, everytime someone explains why MGS4 is the worst game in the franchise I'm compelled to post in agreement but don't because you will be reminded that MGS4 won GAF's GOTY not once but twice. You just have to live with the No. 1.

That's why I'm going to hold Neitieo to this quote he posted in the Dear Esther OT if either Journey or TWD wins and he complains about it:

A truly beautiful, haunting ghost story. I'd be totally down for more games like these. As far as I'm concerned, it's a whole new medium, neither game nor movie but equally valid and exploding with possibilities.

Prepare for the meltdowns. Search you heart. By now you must now that your father - I mean - your favorite games didn't live up to the non-games this year. Strike down your games and take their place at my non-game game's side.

stupei

1. The Witcher 2 ; Don't have a good enough gaming PC to do this justice, so I "settled" for the 360 version. That is if any chance to play one of the greatest RPGs released in years can really qualify as settling. I love the way the game deals with crafting and items. It feels a lot more organic and true to the tone established by the game's story. Can't wait to see where CD Projekt goes with this series.
2. The Walking Dead ; Whether or not it count as a "real game," it had an undeniable impact on me. Hard not to give that credit.
3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; At first I wasn't sure if this was maybe a little overhyped. Sure I was enjoying myself, but I wasn't sure if it really qualified as GOTY material. Then I realized I'd just spent seven hours playing and had completely lost track of time.
4. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. Crusader Kings II ; I wish this game came with a more approachable and user friendly tutorial, because once you get past the dense (and largely unexplained) menu system, this game is fantastic. Nothing quite like imprisoning the guy who was plotting to assassinate you and cutting off his dick as a warning. (You can do that in this game! Really!)
7. Kid Icarus: Uprising
8. Far Cry 3
9. Sleeping Dogs
10. Tokyo Jungle
x. Persona 4 Golden ; If I hadn't already beaten this game (multiple times) before this year, this would probably be my #1. One of my favorite games.

2011. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky; This game actually exceeds the GAF-hype. And that's a hell of a lot of hype.

I actually just finished ME2 today. It's pretty good, but it clearly can't hang with Galaxy 2 and Bayonetta. I think the problem is that people desperately want games to be more than "just games," as if that makes them more legitimate, hence validating all the time they've wasted playing them. So they don't point at the game about a fat guy jumping or a gyrating sex witch but at the one about interspecies space politics or hard luck immigrants; games not defined by a specific mechanic or set of mechanics, but by being in a place as a guy doing a thing.

Badgerst3

1. Borderlands 2: Just all kinds of fun. SP and coop both.
2. Far Cry 3: Great world to play in. Wanted to climb all the towers and take over all the
camps just to say I did. This is good when it is not even part of the main story.
3. Halo 4: Master Chief saving hot Cortana had a pretty good SP story.
4. Super Stickman Golf (ipad). Best IOS game I have played. Great, simple, addicting fun.

Games I still want to try:

1. Sleeping Dogs
2. Mark of the Ninja (just learned about in this thread.)

Galaxy 2 has those awful fuckin' flying bird sections.

and I'm just grateful Super Meat Boy didn't win 2010, the way GAF had a hard-on for that one. I cannot stand SMB, with it's draconian trials, and shitty art direction.

DKCR, best game/platformer of 2010

Neiteio

This is GAF's GOTY list. It's sacred. Trust me, everytime someone explains why MGS4 is the worst game in the franchise I'm compelled to post in agreement but don't because you will be reminded that MGS4 won GAF's GOTY not once but twice. You just have to live with the No. 1.

That's why I'm going to hold Neitieo to this quote he posted in the Dear Esther OT if either Journey or TWD wins and he complains about it:

Prepare for the meltdowns. Search you heart. By now you must now that your father - I mean - your favorite games didn't live up to the non-games this year. Strike down your games and take their place at my non-game game's side.
Love people searching my post history! I actually voted for Dear Esther in this very thread, #10 on my list. Where's your god now? But note -- I put it in the #10 slot.

(Love walking that first beach in Dear Esther. The wind sound effects transport me to Maine, even though the game's off the coast of Europe or some shit.)

ohlawd

One can't really say it's like anything though. Thus, no one can honestly judge on what Journey is (based on preferred genres) until they play it.

One of these days I'm gonna head on over to a friend's house, tell him to leave me the hell alone and play the game with a nice stranger.

Duffyside

Banned
x. Persona 4: Golden ; I can't in good conscience award a remake a spot on my list (sorry to Okami HD as well). Moreover, this remake isn't as good as the original. Yes, it does have some improvements — it's mobile for starters, and also the functionality is more streamlined — most of what Golden does is simply not as pure as the original; The voice-acting changes are a huge miss, the new content is insipid, and man if the dungeons aren't so much easier it makes me significantly regret playing on normal. But they'd have to do a whole lot worse to this game to make me ever not love it. One of the five best games from 2008 on the go. With trophies!

x. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack ; If you follow me on Twitter, you'd be the first. You'd also be wondering how this game isn't on my list, since I was doing backflips about it when it first came out on Vita, for only $8. So what happened? I liked Mutant Blobs enough to go play its predecessor on PS3 is what happened, and I realized just how similar they were. Obviously it doesn't make me dislike the game, but it's hard to want to put it on my list when there are other, more original offerings I'd like to honor.

x. Hotline Miami ; So close. So close to being something I could truly love, but much of the "creepy" style turns me right the hell off, and the weapons are just too poorly balanced. Soundtrack of the year though ("soundtrack" is different from "score," in my opinion).

x. Far Cry 3 ; Were you one of the thousands upon thousands of people who were surprised by how good FC3 was? I wasn't. I was impressed with the lush environments and incredible character that is Vaas since the E3 2011 reveal. However, I did not play this game this year, as once I saw just how much pointless animal violence there was, I just couldn't bite. I won't pay more than $20 to violate my moral code, Ubisoft! (Also it sounds like the narrative falls through the universe about halfway through)

10. Binary Domain ; I felt 2012 was a fairly weak year, saved only by the release of a new platform (the only handheld or mobile device I've ever cared about) and small, digital games, one of which has catapulted itself to being one of my favorite games of all time. I don't have a ton to say about Binary Domain, and I haven't even finished it. I was surprised at how well the characters were portrayed and voiced. I loved the design of the world — the thought put into all of it, to even the most mundane sign or vending machine — and the enemies, with their meticulously designed systems and armor. The shooting was more than good enough, and I never tired of seeing the cool robot enemies shatter into pieces and crumble before me.

Really, I'm getting sick of the shooter genre, but I like them in theory. They're just all so predictable these days, which is why Binary Domain stood out enough to make my list. The developers brought just enough fresh material, between its mechanics, presentation and story-telling, to make the experience worthwhile.

9. Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit ; Hell yeah this game is getting a vote! One vote! From me. The art style and "gore"y nature of this title turned me off from the start, but I can't argue with good game design. There's so much variety in this title, from basic platforming (which functions impeccably), to twin-stick-shooting, to even Wario-Ware-like minigames that appear whenever you're about to kill one of the hundred "boss" characters. Hell Yeah! kept me coming back to it every night for a week because I could always count on it to keep me entertained, as I never knew what to expect. I can't even say "just when I was getting tired of the game, it switched things up on me" because Hell Yeah! moves at a far more frantic pace than that. Which was refreshing, in a weird way.

8. LittleBigPlanet Vita ; I had called this game the Vita's killer app before playing it, and I only regret it because I had neglected that this was the fourth entry in the series. Had Sony not squeezed this franchise for all it was worth in the past few years, this iteration on it would have been far more significant.

But having a great LBP game in your hands is still hard to ignore, and finally all the speciality functions of the Vita — touchscreen, back touch, gyro, etc — have some real use. They're not forced-in, like what most games do, but by the very nature of the quirky, customizable platformer, all things are possible. And the user-created content makes these specialities of the Vita what they were promised to be in the beginning — features. Not gimmicks.

7. Gravity Rush ; Making basic movement enjoyable is the key to almost all video games. I love open-world games in concept, but walking and driving is hardly what I would call fun, in most games at least. It takes some really stellar game mechanic to make traversing a huge world enjoyable at all times. Before Gravity Rush, I would call Infamous 2 the standard-bearer on this, with its many different mechanics; electric-grinding on rails, floating with static thrusters, and the simply awesome ice-launch. Because of all these systems working together, even the most tedious of activities, collectible-hunting, is entertaining, as just moving is immense fun.

Gravity Rush may not offer the same variety in how you can move around, but its core system, controlling gravity, offers more freedom in exploration than any game I can think of. Kat can quite literally fling herself up into the gorgeous space of her French-stone-air-city, pause, and go anywhere. Even on the undersides of buildings, bridges, the floating city itself. The combat of the game doesn't impress, but the characters, art, and being able to control all of gravity itself! Just wonderful. And really, I can not even begin to say enough nice things about the gorgeous orange, pink, purple, green skyboxes of the space, contrasting with the stone French buildings of the world. Just a joy to look at.

6. Gotham City Impostors ; Look, we all hate Call of Duty. And rightfully so! But it didn't use to be this way. In fact, Call of Duty used to be amazing, particularly its multiplayer, which in one way apexed with Modern Warfare 1, and then apexed in a different dimension with Modern Warfare 2.

Gotham City Impostors is the next and final dimension of this multiplayer formula, and it's a total blast. Just think of good Call of Duty multiplayer, with a wonderfully irreverent (to both CoD and the Batman license) tone and presentation, a vibrant art style, and more options than maybe even the original trend-setter of loadouts and perks provides. … Except now you're one of the lunatic, copycat Batmen or Jokerz, laying bear traps on the ground, shooting ice beams, and chasing squiggly lines of stink which permeate off your enemies. And much like the wonderful Awesomenauts, difference in movement is a key factor to variety and enjoyment. Whether you're bouncing around with spring boots, or pulling yourself across the map with a plunger-and-rope-gun, or gliding around fifty feet in the air with your bath-towel-cape (yes, seriously), Gotham City Impostors is always fun, even when you're not in combat. It's just a shame the noticeable lag and terrible load times prevent you from getting in Gotham and wreaking some havoc.

5. Dishonored ; Had developer Arcane not telegraphed the story twist, and then also punted any satisfaction thereafter which should have been delivered, this game could have inched its way a bit further on my list. I also would have greatly appreciated a mechanic that allowed me to drop onto and disable enemies without killing them, the lack of which really hampered my enjoyment as I tried to kill as few enemies as possible.

But yo, whatever. I was stunned by the amount of thought put into this world; its history, its people, its customs, its architecture, just everything. And then all of it is used as to enhance your virtual playground, which allows for some real agency in how you approach every mission, every encounter. It was real choice this time in that if you wanted to make your experience one more action-oriented, the action was actually fun for once. This too was enhanced by the detail of the world.

4. Asura's Wrath ; A month before now posting this list, which I know you've all been waiting for, I had a stack of games I wanted to play, which included Asura's Wrath. It was one of the games I wanted to give a shot to, but did not feel had much of a chance of landing with me. I didn't think I would dislike it, but I thought it would tap into my male-power-fantasy-bone, and resonate, but not enough to rank this highly on my list.

But Asura's Wrath doesn't tap into that bone at all, because I never even dreamed of doing the things you do in this game! I… I don't' want to spoil a single one of them, but they're all so ridiculous that they're awesome, or so awesome that they're ridiculous. I didn't narrow my eyes and nod my head as I was punching a sun that was being thrown at me, I threw my head back and laughed in pure joy.

3. Awesomenauts ; Definitely my surprise of the year: I would not have even tried this game if it weren't for it being free on Playstation Plus.

I had never played a MOBA before, and they don't look all that interesting to me, but I do adore good 2D platforming. That's the first part of what Awesomenauts does so right. The other? Every one of their characters behaves so totally different from the other, even down to their basic movement. Lonestar moves at a normal speed but has a double jump which can be upgraded to a triple. Froggy G moves fast, and can jump just once, but super-high. Yuri doesn't really "jump" so much as "transition into flight mode." Voltar moves fast and can do the jump-to-hover thing, like Princess Peach in Super Mario Bros. 2. This all might seem very simple, but it's totally genius in that it changes how you approach every moment in the game, as do all the abilities, whether they be cloaking or throwing a handful of bouncing grenades or banking a laser off the ground or setting yourself to self-destruct.

Awesomenauts was just a blast to play. It is highly competitive while relying heavily on teamwork for real domination. Every character is so different from the other that I found myself not getting tired of the game and wanting to go play another, but just tired of a character and wanting to switch, finding more than enough change and enjoyment through that simple switch to keep me glued to the game for hours on end. It's telling that a game is really great for me, in this generation, when I have nothing left to unlock, no trophies left to get, other games I want to try, and yet I just keep plugging along on the game I have nothing more to gain from, other than more entertainment.

2. Darksiders 2 ; I've found the lukewarm (at best) reaction to this game to be baffling: In a year when so many so-called "shallow" games are being well-received to the dismay of so many, there is nary a game like that of Darksiders II.

Stuffed to the brim with content, Darksiders II improves upon its predecessor almost as much as its predecessor improved upon the Zelda formula to begin with: the worlds are bigger, the items and weapons are far more plentiful, and the combat, which already put Zelda to absolute shame in 2010, now rivals that of even dedicated third-person action games like God of War and Devil May Cry. The leveling-up mechanic doesn't just apply to the protagonist, Death, but even applies to your weapons, of which there are a select type, called "Possessed," which you can improve by "feeding" the weapon in question other weapons, all of which have unique stats and properties which can directly influence how your Possessed weapon improves.

Really, I'm baffled that this game wasn't a darling on GAF. Vigil and THQ seemingly took a list of all the things gamers would want in a game and tried to check them all off: A leveling system? Check. Dozens of hours of gameplay in even just your first playthrough? Check. New Game Plus? Check. A deep and rewarding combat system? Check. A choice in play-styles (melee vs. magic)? Check. Far more side-dungeons than proper dungeons in most Zeldas? Check. Tons of enemy and boss types? Check. Great voice-acting? Definite check. A soundtrack by Jesper Kyd? Yep, that too. It definitely has some issues — a beginning and premise that drops the ball of the first's epic ending, a poor final dungeon, and even some glitches — yet they all pale in comparison to the sheer amount of great content Darksiders II offers, so much so that my own almost-game-breaking bug is so minor in reflection that it is my penultimate game of the year.

1. Journey ; is so wonderful, so perfect a game that it literally took me weeks afterwards to even think of any flaws, and unlike any other game I've played in, hell, maybe decades, I can literally count those minor flaws on one hand. Easily (and no, I don't have the hand of a mutant). I would have to travel back in time and play the best of previous generations with a fresh mind to know if I've ever felt as confident about a piece of media like I do with Journey.

I could be even MORE hyperbolic if I wanted to be! Journey is THAT good!

Upon reflection, I find that what impresses me the most about Journey, or perhaps to sum it all up, is its total minimalism. It's not just simple in its art style, or its length, or in its ability to communicate with another person, but all of it together. In an age where every year the best-of-the-best in games are trying to one-up each other with textures, or lighting, or multiplayer modes, or bombastic set-pieces, thatgamecompany took a step back and seemed to take an honest look at where we actually are as an industry. They didn't try to over-deliver, they just fucking delivered. And in doing so, in a way they achieved a more powerful and honest form of multiplayer than anything anyone had ever done. And they did it by doing less.

Despite being a cheap downloadable title, Journey is perhaps the best-looking game I've ever seen. And by not even considering competing against the huge technical games of our time, it does what none of those will; remains timeless. In ten years, Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2 will have been long-replaced by something else as the supposed "best-looking game." But Journey will still look great, because it knows what it is.

I experienced a companionship the likes of which I've never even approached in other games, multiple times. If I were to list my five favorite moments of this year in games, all five of them would be from Journey. It surprised me, it scared me, it moved me. I felt triumph, I felt awe, I felt small, and I felt like the king of the world. All in 90 minutes.

Top 50 Nintendo Results thread is still probably my favorite ever. Such a concentrated list of awesomeness. The thread that compelled to join NeoGAF (despite being validated a day too late)!

Can't wait til the Game of the Generation thread. Was there one for last gen?

Dear Esther was way better than Journey though. It actually elicited emotions instead of trying to cheaply prod them out of you.

HEY THIS IS EMOTIONAL RIGHT BE SAD

OKAY BE HAPPY NOW

Neiteio

Galaxy 2 has those awful fuckin' flying bird sections.

and I'm just grateful Super Meat Boy didn't win 2010, the way GAF had a hard-on for that one. I cannot stand SMB, with it's draconian trials, and shitty art direction.

DKCR, best game/platformer of 2010
Eh, I like Super Meat Boy, although I don't care for the, erm, "Hot Topic" aesthetic.

DKCR is completely and utterly superior, though. Shame it's in standard-def. :(

Top Bottom