• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2012 - Voting Thread, now closed. Thanks for all the fish.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
1. The Walking Dead ; Most affecting gaming experience ever. Even if your decisions didn't radically alter plot, Telltale did a perfect job of giving you a sense of ownership over a really amazing story.

2. Dishonored ; Perfectly scratched that Deus Ex/Thief itch. Great subtle atmosphere and pretty perfect gameplay.

3. Mass Effect 3 ; An imperfect ending can't ruin what had been a nearly perfect blend of action and cinematic. Perhaps gets a few bonus points for being the conclusion to an amazing series.

4. FEZ ; Sad I missed the zeitgeist of everyone learning this game together. I was still able to discover a few bits on my own, and even the secrets I looked up were really fascinating.

5. Borderlands 2 ; Finally getting some time with this post Christmas, and it's as fun, exciting, action packed, and hilarious as I had hoped.

6. Mark of the Ninja ; Nearly perfect gameplay makes the stealth here immensely satisfying.

7. Diablo III ; *see ME3 above* Even if the endgame fell apart in a sad jumble of poor itemization and auction house failure, it was an almost perfect action RPG.

8. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria ; I'd been away from WoW for so long, it was really satisfying to dive back in, even if only for a short time.

9. NBA 2K13 ; Somehow this series keeps improving.

10. FTL ; Not much time with this one yet, but has been everything people were raving about.

X. Assassins Creed 3 ; Disappointing only in that it doesn't live up to the hype and quality of previous games. Still, the Assassins Creed foundation is strong enough to keep this a still very fun game.

My list of games I'm definitely going to get soon, and would probably make it high up on this GOTY, is pretty long... Far Cry 3, Hitman: Absolution, Darksiders 2, Kingdom of Amalur, Dust: An Elysium Tale, Torchlight 2.

Edit: added Borderlands 2, Fez, Mark of the Ninja

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Will update the post:

1. Dragon's Dogma ; My favourite this year so far is this game. Simply because I was mesmerized by this game enough to play for 150 hours. There are issues with it, however, and some of them come down to simple design choices, but Capcom only needs to nail those small things and we have a winner.

2. The Walking Dead ; One of the surprise hits of the year, and something that I really enjoyed. It kind of goes to show how you actually handle an interactive game such as this with other developers *cough* can learn from. When you create something with the story as a focal point, the writing has to be good, and in this game, it is.

3. Far Cry 3 ; This game has a lot of issues but the unscripted nature of the combat and the sheer amount of options available to you made it one of the most enjoyable games I've played this year. It kept me engaged enough to get all the trophies which I rarely do nowadays.

4. Journey ; Well can't really call it a game but what a wonderful experience this was. Thatgamecompany created a very unique title which not only makes you appreciate what it feels to be in company of a stranger that you have to work with to move ahead in life, but also the remorse of losing that said stranger who you have built up an emotional connection with.

5. Forza Horizon ; I knew the pedigree of Playground Games. I knew they can create something special, but I never knew they would create something so good that makes you wonder why there aren't more open world racing games that allows the player to leisurely drive around without any sort of competition and just take in all the beautiful scenery on offer. It's an evolution of Forza in a sense it's quite similar to those games in a lot of ways but makes it much much accessible to newcomers and gives it an arcadey feel without diluting the experience too much.

6. Binary Domain ; Hilarious game from SEGA. This is something that looks really lame at a first impression but as you keep playing it you realize what a gem it actually is and contains a lot of depth. The story was surprisingly good too with some standout characters. Shame about the multiplayer though, they shouldn't have included that and should just have just polished the single player a lot more.

7. Borderlands 2 ; Great game from Gearbox Software. I have to mention that I absolutely hated the first game, but this one was a bit different. It was actually fun and had a lot of witty writing and some great moments. The loot was pretty good as well, including the missions. Handsome Jack is one of the best antagonists in videogames ever. His anecdotes through the game were quite amusing, here's an example:

"...So people are dying left and right and all of sudden this guy decides to run at me with a spoon. A SPOON HAHAHA! So I scoop his stupid little eyeballs out with it and his kids are there all crying like WAAHHHH! And he's runnin' into stuff and... hahaha! Oh man... I guess you had to be there.

Anyway... the moral of the story is you're a total bitch."

Great writing.

8. Dishonored ; Painting come to life. Loved the artstyle and the overall visual design, but I had a lot of problems with the gameplay mechanics and especially that move called Blink. Seriously why not slow down the pace of the game? This move was not necessary at all and just nullified all the good things but making the stealth a complete joke. The game was short as well but I felt the missions were well designed.

9. Hotline Miami ; Buy this game people. Just do it. It's pure unadulterated fun.

10. Mark of the Ninja ; This is a really good stealth game. The gameplay mechanics were a bit repetitive and the level design later on was pretty average, but it is one of the best examples of 2D stealth games you will ever play. They should make a fully fledged 3D game inspired by these mechanics.

Zia

I noticed some folks listing Dota 2. Do commercial betas like Dota 2 and Proteus count? I know people voted for Minecraft before the 1.0 release (which is why I didn't vote for it last year).

Leeness

1. The Walking Dead ; This freaking game man... Made me sad, joyful, first time I've really cared for a video game child sincerely, Lee. So good.
2. Journey ; Honestly, this and TWD are basically tied for first, but had to put one over the other so here we are. Beautiful game, loved playing with others, transcended communication, last "level" was just incredible.
3. Assassins Creed 3 ; I still love AC games no matter how nonsensical the story gets. Had a lot of fun with this, enjoyed the setting (even though I miss Italy), tree running, "let me help you George Washington? Connor, man, even your dreams are square".
4. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ; What the hell, where is the third one, immediately. Spent a good 25-30 hours on this, got really invested. I was yelling at my 3DS a few times.
5. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask ; Just finishing it up, but Layton is always on my yearly lists :')
6. Harvest Moon: A New Beginning ; Best HM game in a long time. Really enjoying it.
7. Final Fantasy XIII-2 ; Haha I don't even care, I had fun with this game. Hated 13, but really enjoyed this one. Noel was great, story was stupid but hilarious (GO FORWARD IN TIME TO CHANGE THE FUTURE TO CHANGE THE PAST OMG), great music, I had fun with the battles and monsters.
8. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance ; Another series I love no matter how psychotic the story gets. Finish stupid Versus 13 so you can make KH3 please
9. Theatrhythm ; Why is it so cute? WHY ARE THEY SO CUTE.
10. Dance Central 3 ; So fun.

Haven't played: Dishonoured or Far Cry 3 and they'd more than likely be on here :(

2011: played the European version of Xenoblade :)

zashga

1. Xenoblade Chronicles ; No contest. Played this one over 80 hours and loved everything about it. Harkens back to times gone by, when the JRPG was king (of my heart).
2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; A great revival with a few irritating quirks. Glitches and bad inventory management aren't enough to keep me away from a great turn-based strategy game.
3. Paper Mario Sticker Star ; Clever and charming throughout. I love the theming and minimalist RPG mechanics. The script is great, too... I just wish there was more of it.
4. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy ; Surprisingly excellent. The "event" scenes may be a poor man's Ouendan, but the field and combat scenes are great. Wonderful nostalgia.
5. Kid Icarus Uprising ; The writing, visuals, and amazing music make this game wonderful to behold. The hectic gameplay and passable controls make it tiresome to play.
6. Crashmo ; A worthy successor to Pushmo. Better pacing than the original, which is surprising. The new, more free-form mechanics could have easily made this game a chore.
7. Journey ; An aural and visual masterpiece that is also, sometimes, a good game.
8. Nintendo Land ; As a tech demo and party game, it's definitely more interesting than Wii Sports. There's a lot for Nintendo fans to like.
9. New Super Mario Bros 2 ; Franchise fatigue is definitely setting in for the "new" Marios. I enjoyed this one, but NSMBU wasn't so appealing, three months later.
10. Final Fantasy XIII-2 ; Way, way better than its predecessor. With a decent story, it could've been great.

x. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP ; Got this in one of the humble bundles. Lovely little game; mouse controls are somewhat awkward.
x. Little Inferno ; A fun little "experience" type game. Pretty simple, but still charming and fun for a few hours.
x. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 ; My streak of buying but not finishing SMT games continues.
x. Diablo 3 ; Last year, this was far and away my most anticipated game of 2012. I feel absolutely nothing when I think about it now.
2011. Rayman Origins ; Definitely should've bought it last year.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
1. Awesomenauts ; The perfect example of don't judge a game before you play it. I thought the game looked terrible until I got my hands onto it thanks to good first reviews. Takes what people love about MOBA games and makes it work in a 2d platformer. By far the most fun I've had playing any game this year and the constant updates keep me coming back.
2. Guild Wars 2 ; The highlight of this game is it's beautifully crafted world. Looks amazing and plays just as well.
3. Diablo 3 ; People shit all over it but I got a lot of enjoyment out of playing. Sunk many many hours into it and best of all got to play with my mates along the way. I felt like a complete badass just smashing my way through hoards of enemies. Felt great.
4. Halo 4 ; I needed some more fun Halo multiplayer to play and this fit that need perfectly. The maps were fantastic and everything just felt right.
5. The Walking Dead ; The surprise of the year. I was surprised as any when the game started getting great reviews after the first episode. By the end who could have predicted it would have blown up as much as it had. Made you really care for the characters around you and by the end of it I was hiding my face hoping no one would see me tear up. Not many games have taking me on a ride as much as this one did.
6. Spelunky HD ; Love it solely for it's mutliplayer because like Awesomenauts it's just a hell of a lot of fun. Light of features but what it does offer, works. Haven't laughed as hard with a game like this in a long time.
7. Legend of Grimrock ; Tough but fun. Was as good as I had hoped it to be.
8. Hot Shots Golf (Vita) ; I love me some golf games and it had been a long time since I had played one last. A lot of fun.
9. Dishonored ; An impressive first game from a hopefully longer franchise.
10. FTL ; Made a huge splash when it first came out. An addictive game but drops down due to not having the longevity I would have liked.

x. Portal 2's Map Editor Update ; I'm tempted to push this into the top 10 but it's not actually a game so not sure if it'd really count. Made creating your very own maps for Portal 2 easier than ever. I was terrible at it but I got just as much enjoyment helping others test out their masterpieces than I would have making my own. People made so many great maps and over the first month of it's release the community was flooded with numerous terrific creations many coming from Gaf.
x. Persona 4: Golden ; As soon as you boot up you can just tell how much love was poured into this game. I was hooked from the start screen.
x. Dear Esther ; Tried to do something a little different from the rest. Amazing art and I thought the ending was really touching.
x. Defender's Quest ; An addictive tower defense game that adds typical RPG classes and leveling up to an already solid formula. Must have sunk 20 hrs into the space of a week of playing.
x. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; Deserves to be acknowledged.

Cartman86

Banned
1. Journey ; Probably the greatest use of a video game as metaphor. The game to show people who aren't sure about games as a valid form of expression.
2. The Walking Dead ; The first episode is kind of bleh, but from then on it becomes the best story in a video game ever. It's really as simple as that. You care about the characters so much that you exclaim in surprise and cry in despair.
3. Dust: An Elysian Tail ; Classic game loop. Uncover new areas, come back when you have gained new skills. Never gets old. Contains a surprisingly decent narrative as well.
4. Lumines Electronic Symphony ; I played this game like twice. I can't take the heart break of getting far and losing, but those couple years of playing where I was on a role were sublime. Headphones in and I was in another universe.
5. Borderlands 2 ; I think it's better than the first one. It was better balanced, had a cleaner interface and was funnier.
6. Little Big Planet VITA ; Probably the best Little Big Planet yet. Filled with well designed levels and supurb mini-games.
7. Motorstorm RC ; Hadn't played a Super Sprint style game in a while and this hit that spot.
8. X-Com: Enemy Unknown ; I don't like turn based strategy. I liked this.
9. Mark of the Ninja ; The only way i'm going to play a stealth game these days is if has Metal Gear in the title. You need to really make it accessible or I just won't try. Mark of the Ninja did that. It does it so well that I reverted back to playing the way I usually play stealth games. By reloading the save the second I get seen even though I didn't have to. Somehow that didn't bother me.
10. Fez ; Similar to Dust it was just fun to figure out how to unlock new areas in this fascinating sounding and looking world. It was a cool bonus that their was more to the game waiting for you to discover.

x. Trials Evolution
x. Asura's Wrath ; What the fuck did I just play?
x. Hotline Miami ; It's all about the style.
x. Binary Domain
x. Far Cry 3 ; 75% of this game was just pure classic video game fun. It overstays its welcome, but where the Assassin's Creed series made "busy work" basically boring work by the end I think Far Cry 3 let me enjoy that grind again.
x. Mass Effect 3 ; I hated the ending and everything was wrapped up a little too neatly with the different races during the game, but there are some amazing moments between characters that I can't ignore.
x. Rock Band Blitz ; It's a shame about the Facebook stuff, but I really enjoyed the basic gameplay of this.
x. Sound Shapes ; I kind of found this game pretty average up until I played the Beck levels. Holy shit that first level is one of the best things in video games ever.
x. Spec Ops: The Line ; Because of the turning point.
x. Guild Wars 2 ; Streamlining of what can be a tedious experience. No sub helps.
x. Draw Something ; Yeah I got caught up in that phenomena for a couple weeks. Fuck you it was great!

2011. Minecraft ; I feel like there are a ton of games exactly like this where I would love them if the stars aligned. Getting all the friends together, not being busy with work etc. That happened with Minecraft for me this year. Both on the 360 and PC.

ezekial45

Banned
1. The Walking Dead ;- What else is there to say? It's a thoroughly engaging adventure game with some of the best storytelling techniques and characterization in years. Also, it shows that you don't have to make every zombie game a shoot em up/melee action game.
2. Xenoblade Chronicles; - Best JRPG this generation. This game should be analyzed and studied by other JRPG devs, because this game offered the most engrossing and content rich JRPG experience I've had in a long time. XC took me back to those days where I was sucked in by games like 'Final Fantasy VII' and 'Grandia II'. This is the biggest step for the JRPG genre I've seen in a long time, and it gives me a lot of hope for the future of the genre.
3. Hotline Miami; - Nicholas Winding Refn would be proud.
4. Max Payne 3; - I know people were let down by this, but I feel that this was the best way to close out the series, because I doubt we'll ever get another game. The action and cinematics are engaging, and the slow mo finishers are a great topper to seriously hectic fights.
5. Borderlands 2; - Guns, guns, guns! What a great improvement over the last game. It's like Gearbox went through a giant fan wish list and granted nearly. The developers really showed a great attention to detail for this game, and also the gave the universe much needed context to benefit the future of the series. Also, put me the group that really loved Tiny Tina.
6. Far Cry 3; - I get why people are disappointed by this game, but I feel that it gets open world action pretty well. They could've went way further with the narrative and tried adding some more diversity, but I was still very satisfied with what I got -- and the game has a lot surprises in store for players. Plus, its got one of the best villains this year.
7. Dishonored; - This is a really fun stealth action game. I really enjoyed the world and setting. I spent extra time during missions just to uncover more details about the world and plot. It was very interesting.
8. Sleeping Dogs; - "A MAN WITH NO PORK BUN IN HIS BELLY IS NOT A WHOLE MAN!" This is a really stellar open world game. I really admire its attitude on gun gameplay. It only shows up when needed, but when it does, it gets crazy.
9. Resident Evil: Revelations; - This is the type of RE game that Capcom should be pursuing. It maintains the tension, the scares, and the horror, while keeping the action intense and engaging. Plus, Raid Mode was the best extra mode in an RE game to date.
10. Dragon's Dogma; - What a wonderful action title from Capcom. Capcom Japan left their comfort zone and struck out into new territory, and it this game proves they've still got the skills and know how to make a stellar title. It's also a very admirable first step for them within open world design.

X. Binary Domain- On the surface it looks like a Gears of War knock off, but it actually surpasses that series with its action and storytelling. The partner relationship mechanic is an inspired mechanic, and the multiple variations to the game's ending is surprising. Also, this game has one of the funnest robot characters I've seen in years.
X. Kid Icarus: Uprising
X. Diablo 3

PKrockin

Crap, already? I still have to play Journey, Paper Mario, XCOM, Resident Evil 6, NSMB2, Rhythm Thief, Rhythm Heaven Fever... I'll definitely have to come back to this.

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; Best game on the 3DS bar none. Everything about this game is fantastic, but the orchestral soundtrack, engaging story and characters, and oodles of replay value stick out.
2. Tales of Graces f ; The story may be throwaway but holy hell the battles are some of the most fun I've ever had in an RPG. The eleth mixer, title system, and item synthesis were all a great improvement over past games as well.
3. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ; Dark, mysterious, and filled to the brim with brain-bending twists that I spent several sleepless night trying to uncover. VLR has been improved over 999 in a lot of ways, most notably the incredibly convenient Flow system. Great voice acting too, and major props for dual audio.
4. Resident Evil: Revelations ; It may be a step down from RE4 in many ways, but the fantastic controls and raid mode made it a blast.
5. Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy ; The impressive 3D, soundtrack, and sound effects made it a great experience with headphones. Pulling off aerial acrobatics and shooting down enemies was fun and satisfying, particularly the unique ace squadrons.
6. Tales of the Abyss ; A solid RPG with fun combat and an engaging plot that kept me playing for 60+ hours. The improved load times are a godsend.

1. Halo 4; Such a great looking game, story worked, set pieces worked very well
2. Diablo III; People say it is broken but it has evolved well after a few patches
3. NHL 13; GM connected is really fun
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
5. Civilization V: Gods and Kings; spreading my religion and spying on your cities :D
6. Mass Effect III: Sure the ending sucked but it was a fun ride
7. New Super Mario Brothers 2; quick but fun
8. Assassins Creed III; definitely rushed but the naval battles worked very well
9. Angry Birds Star Wars; so ridiculous but everything works so well
10. Max Payne 3

1. The Walking Dead ; I love the comics and this game was as good as being a character of them. Amazing story.
2. Dishonored ; Incredible ideas applied in one amazing game. You can play it in different ways so I'll be coming back.
3. Max Payne 3 ; Great game, great story, so happy to see Max in Rio
4. Borderlands 2 ; Fun and amazing, I don't know why I didn't play the first one
5. Mario Kart 7
6. Far Cry 3 Should be a little bit higher but I haven't been able to play it completely
7. X-Com: Enemy Unknown
8. Dungeon Defenders
9. The Last Story
10. Fifa 13

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; Wow...what else needs to be said that hasn't been said by other people in this thread already? The game looks great; the soundtrack is amazing; lengthy story with plenty of twists and turns; wonderful cast of characters, hilarious dialogue that's helped by the great selection of VAs; lots of replay value (100% completion, online multiplayer, AR cards [if you can find them :p]). I thought I would have trouble with the initial controls but holding on to the DS thumb strap put my worries to rest. Easily my Game of the Year. Thanks Sakurai for keeping Pit relevant for a little over a decade.

2. Resident Evil Revelations ; The second Resident Evil title to come to the 3DS and a MUCH better bang for your buck than Mercenaries 3D. Almost as good as the current slate of RE titles to hit the consoles recently. If the game does come out for PS3/360 as rumored, I'll definitely buy it again. This game was too good to pass up on.

3. Gravity Rush ; Immediately knew the instant I saw footage of this game, it would be enough to convince me to buy the Playstation Vita, my first PS purchase in a long time. And it did not disappoint. Kat is so likable and controlling her in mid-air never gets old. Art style is great and the music is fantastic. The mid-air combat may be chaotic, but that's the beauty of it. Mid-air combat shouldn't always go your way. Love trying to best my time in the side missions and see how well I do compared to others. I hope another sequel is coming very soon.

4. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy ; Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: $49.97. 52 DLC songs: $54.57. FFI-FFXIII OSTs: $517.31. That feeling you get knowing that spending over $500 because of one game was worth it: Priceless

5. Lumines: Electronic Symphony ; This was my first real taste of Lumines since I never owned a PSP (or played any other installments on other systems). This game did not disappoint. Was initially taken aback by how few modes there were, but that skepticism soon went away and it didn't take me long to finally get the hang of Voyage Mode. It's addicting (not to mention time consuming which is a positive in this case) and the song selection is excellent, especially since I never heard of any of the songs used before. Can't wait to try out the original Lumines real soon.

6. Dead of Alive 5 ; Big Tits. That is all.

7. New Super Mario Bros. 2 ; Wait a minute....a New Super Mario Bros. title that's actually worth playing? That's right. Despite the music and the shitty reward for getting 1 million coins (and an even shittier reward for getting 10 million coins), this game is actually worth playing and way better than its predecessor on the DS. And the Coin Rush DLC packs are worth the purchase and replay value.

8. Super Stardust Delta ; Interesting game and very pretty to look at.

9. Unit 13 ; This game can be frustrating at times with some of the mission types (I'm looking at you stealth), but the game itself isn't half bad. Shame it's the last game from Zipper Interactive.

10. Sound Shapes ; Haven't really spent much time on this game as much as I had hoped, but I loved what I've played so far so I'm including it in my list.

1. The Walking Dead (Multiplatform) ; The gameplay definitely wasn't what made it the best of the year, but more importantly, the characters and setting invested me deep enough that every single scene resonated with me.
2. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Multiplaform) ; It was a hard decision between it and The Walking Dead; they're about dead even, but I gave The Walking Dead the edge because of its direction. 999 was my favourite game of its year, and VLR improves upon it in nearly every way (except perhaps tension for the immediate situation at hand).
3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Mulltiplatform) ; A very cool game. Lots of customization, good combat, nice visuals, and tons of depth.
4. Journey (PlayStation 3) ; I actually bought it when it came out, but didn't seriously play it until I was bored with nothing to do one day at my Grandparents' cabin (everyone was out for a long time~ :v). I got through the first level, and in the second level, I met another player, who kept with me for the entire game. It was awesome, and the feeling of communicating with and looking out for your partner made it one of the best multiplayer games I've played.
5. Dishonored (Multiplatform) ; One of the first "big" games I've played this year (possibly the only). While I had major issues with its font (I can't read it at all sometimes), the gameplay proved to be really entertaining. I like throwing bodies into rats. :>
6. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (Nintendo DS) ; Granted, it was a case of "more of the same" of the first Devil Survivor, but it's not really a bad thing. It improves upon everything in one way or another, and I was really glad about the ability to improve your standing with characters to unlock new scenes with them, as well as upgrades for the characters and new demon fusions.
7. Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo 3DS) ; At first, it was simply a pretty good game. More recently I tried to give it another chance, and I got a lot more invested into it. Playing on Intensity 9 made me appreciate the depth of the game's combat, and when I finally gave multiplayer a chance, I spent 20 hours over a week playing against people online. Damn fun.
8. Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) ; So far the Rhythm Heaven series has been 3/3. Even though I'll never enjoy the rap battle stages, and even though the controls were a bit hard to get used to at first, I really warmed up to it in the end.
9. Spelunky (Xbox 360) ; So freaking fun. Single player makes for a great, intense challenge, while multi-player is a blast - both in seeing how far you can get with your teamwork and how much you can screw each other over.
10. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Nintendo 3DS) ; I dunno how much of my love stems from the game's actual quality as opposed to all of the nostalgia it drummed up, but I know I like it. It works surprisingly well, a lot better than I thought it would have (though the swiping is still a bit frustrating). Seriously though SE, more Final Fantasy VI music.

Anth0ny

1. Journey ; Short, but the best damn two hours I've spent with a video game this year. One of the best looking games I've ever played in my life, incredible music, and just a joy to play.

2. Kid Icarus Uprising ; Also very deserving. I had some problems with the controls, and that is probably the only reason why this incredible game isn't my #1. Probably the best music and writing (haven't played TWD yet! >_<) of the year.

3. Halo 4 ; Nothing too groundbreaking, but one of the best looking games I've ever seen. Hard to believe Xbox 360 was generating those graphics. I had fun with my entire time playing campaign, good shit 343.

2011. Dark Souls ; My game of the generation. It's a damn shame I didn't play it last year.

Haven't even played 10 games this year, let alone 10 GOTY worthy games. I need more time ; _ ;

1. The Walking Dead ; (Came out of nowhere for me. Not the best gameplay by any imagination but the plot and dialogue were unlike anything I've seen in a video game. Fantastic work by telltale. My guess is that this game will lead to somewhat of a revival in the adventure game genre)

2. Mass Effect 3 ; (The game that couldnt help but screw itself over. It was a love/hate experience if I'm being perfectly honest. The game was fantastic, it had interesting dialogue and fun gameplay. I really enjoyed building an army, even if it amounted numbers on a screen. Unfortunately the ending tossed everything out of whack. At first I was like, "huh that was different". Then an hour later I was pissed. There isnt much else to be said that hasnt been spewed to great lengths so I'll leave it at that. The journey was better than the destination.)

3. NBA 2k13 ; (Its a really good game. I dont even like basketball much and I played the MyCareer mode more than any other game this year. Fuck yourself if you are a sports game hater)

4. Journey ; (Very interesting experience. I liked it a lot but not as much as most)

ilMikhail

1. Resident Evil 6 - Amazing graphics , a lot of content , great multiplayer modes , the camera is great now , controls are hard to learn easy to master

2. Resident Evil Revelations
3. Dragon Dogma
4. New Super Mario Bros U
5. Kingdom Hearts 3D
6. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
7. Call of Duty Black Ops 2
8. Dance Central 3
9. FIFA 13
10. Lollipop Chainsaw

LTTP : Dark Souls

Lunar15

1.Guild Wars 2; It got me to play an MMO and enjoy it. I'm still playing it, despite all all odds. In fact, it's so addicting that I really have to break myself from it. It's full of flaws and some really strange design choices, but at the end of the day it's really well made and damn near close to what they wanted it to be. Combat is exciting and constantly evolving and I don't feel shoved into one role that I have to do over and over again. The graphics are endlessly gorgeous, the art design is top notch, and the score is so good that I nominated it for one of the best OST's. But one of the main things that really makes it special is how devoted Arena Net has been to pumping out really awesome content each month. I know people have had issues with Anet's execution, but once events and new modes come up, they're usually really great. It's the only MMO I can recommend to people who don't love MMO's.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles; This was just the best single player game I played all year. It's not my favorite RPG ever, and maybe in a year with more releases this would fall more into a "niche" category. But this year it was front and center in terms of scope, presentation, and surprisingly well written characters. I originally wrote this off as a derivative title, but was consistently blown away by how many new and interesting ideas it worked into the genre, while still providing a decidedly old-school feel. While I wasn't as enthusiastic about the ridiculous amounts of sidequests and additional content, the fact that it was there was absolutely welcome. Quite frankly, we don't see a lot of games with that kind of attention to the world, so seeing a game like this pop up was a breath of fresh air.

3.Kid Icarus: Uprising; Came out of left field. I was completely surprised by it. I think it's the actual surprise that makes me love it so much, more than the actual game. The controls NEVER gave me an issue (I do have an XL) but I can see why some would struggle. The levels can sometimes get a little repetitive, but I never really cared because they're constantly stringing you along with absolutely gorgeous worlds, well designed levels, and one of the best cast of characters in any game this year. I think one of the things that surprised me the most, however, was difficulty. The difficulty slider is such an amazingly good idea, that I really hope more games adopt something similar. Treating it like a bet against your skills turns up the "risk vs reward" factor that's missing from a lot of games these days. Sakurai and team put a lot of love and effort into this dead franchise and made it into something akin to a brand new IP for Nintendo. And for that, I'm super grateful.

(Side note: I feel like this year was pretty lacking in games, though. Consoles basically skipped this year, and Xenoblade is just barely making it on here despite the fact that it's nearly two years old at this point. PC had some big hits, but none of them really knocked me out of the park, aside from Guild Wars 2. It's just one of those lull years for me, I suppose.)

1. The Walking Dead; This game is a revelation, the next place video games can go. A gripping story with characters you can't help to either care for or hate with a passion. It also managed to completely pull off the ending, something very few games or even movies or books do.
2. Persona 4: Golden; This was very close to number one for me but I just couldn't give it to a re release. All the great gameplay and story is still there with plenty of new additions to make it seem fresh. Still one of the greatest games of all time.
3. NBA 2K13; By far the best sports game ever made. The presentation is unmatched and the new control system, once you get used to it, is extremely immersive. No other sports game has even touched the awesomeness that is My Player.
4. Halo 4; The campaign was excellent but the Multiplayer was just not up to par, felt like they were trying to appeal to everyone but managed to not please anyone.
5. Total War: Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai; This expansion is incredible, it adds so much to the base game and is one of my favourite time periods of Japanese history as well.
6. Forza Horizon; I am not a big racing fan but the atmosphere of this game really pulled me in. Burning Man crossed with Fast and Furious makes for a pretty great game. The shift to a more arcade like system also made the game much more accessible and enjoyable for me, I really hope there is a sequel to this one.
7. Alan Wake's American Nightmare; Although I didn't really like the setting the story was interesting and hey, it's more Alan Wake.

Bonus: Worst Game of 2012: Mass Effect 3; Ending is garbage, written by a hack who didn't pass grade 3 creative writing and completely ruined an entire series. Thanks bro.

Canuck76

Banned
(Haven't played too many 2012 games so it's a short list, i don't go through a ton of games, i may update it a bit but this is what has struck me this year.)

1. X-com Enemy Unkown; Wow. Never been a big strat guy but this game is amazing. Both the tactical and larger overall strategy game are enjoyable. I love researching and building new weapons. I love facing new enemies and wondering what my research on them will get me. I'm attached to my bros (and gals) and love getting them new weapons to play with.

2. Fifa 13; Fun as hell little soccer game. The passing in this game is amazing. You really feel the right amount of control and the lack thereof. The ball ain't magnetic but it's also not unwieldy and too hard. It feels just perfect. If there's any problem with this game it's how easy it is. But I'm just now bumping up the difficulty, and yeah this game can be tough if you want that. The skill games are also great learning tools for new players.

LTTP: Dark Souls; Didn't have online while i was playing this game, but it was intriguing nonetheless. Really gives you a sense of exploration, tough as hell yet also quite rewarding. Looking to get back into it, but this scratched an interesting RPG itch that i didn't know i had.

1. New Super Mario Bros. U ; Took the elements that made the rest of the series just as fun and enhanced them even more. Mario in HD! Bigger levels! Multiplayer! Off Screen Play! I could go on and on...
2. New Super Mario Bros. 2 ; Nearly a tie for number one. This one is unique in its smaller level size and emphasis on coins. Loved everything about it, and will keep playing it for months to come.
3. Call of Duty Black Ops II ; I don't care if it is Call of Duty, it's a hell of a lot of fun, with the multi player being the best in the series to date.
4. Max Payne 3 ; This was quite the surprise, and ended up being my favorite TPS of the year. Max is cool, and the environments were fresh enough to keep me interested all the way through.
5. Mass Effect 3 ; A fantastic end to a fantastic franchise, with killer multiplayer.
6. WWE '13 ; A story mode that doesn't suck, coated with the sweet nostalgia that fans like me adore.
7. The Walking Dead ; Gripping story, characters to care about. Choices that matter.
8. Scribblenauts Unlimited ; My first entry in the Scribblenauts series, and it sounds like it's the best one yet. Just wish it had more variety.
9. Dishonored ; Stealth that's actually pretty fun? I'll take it. Corvo's a bad ass.
10. Halo 4 ; This just barely made the list, but it was stil pretty fun for a while. I'll still play it for months to come just because the multiplayer can last forever.

swoon

1. the walking dead
2. journey
3. binary domain ; why couldn't he have made yakuza dead souls this good?
4. zero escape: virtue's last reward
5. sleeping dogs
6. assassin's creed 3: liberation
7. sound shapes
8. persona 4 : golden ; this low because i haven't finished it yet.
9. toyko jungle
10. mark of the ninja

My list is awful, because my backlog is beyond backlogged. I played a lot of NHL12, FIFA12 and Battlefield 3 all year and haven't gotten around to playing a lot of games that are being nominated by GAF. Here are the only 2012 releases that I've been able to put enough time into this year to feel good about nominating:

walking_zps126dbc14.jpg

1. The Walking Dead ; Wow... I pretty much ignored this game/series until I started seeing it on a lot of GAF ballots. Never had any interest in the TV show despite hearing praise for it and I never bothering checking these games out as it didn't seem like GAF were singing the praises of these episodes as they were being released. but I decided to pick up the retail disc and was simply been blown away. The story and characters are just like nothing else, the attention to detail in the facial animations, body language and voice acting is really impressive for a game without a ginormous budget. Developers, please take notes this is how you handle dialogue with choice options. The decisions most of the time are difficult with no clear right choices and everything is amplified and made more intense by the time limit you have to respond. Saw GAF's own Gary Whitta in the credits too for some of the writing, great job dude you knocked it out of the park. Kudos to TellTale Games for crafting a masterpiece.

dishonored2_zpsa2d7ac7a.jpg

2. Dishonored ; I had high hopes for this game as it looked like something different and promised some interesting gameplay and it ended up exceeding all of my expectations. Somehow Arkane found a way to create a FPS game that nails combat, stealth and platforming all while giving you a lot of freedom in choosing how to play the game. I've only played through the game once, and played pretty much non-lethal all the way through and got the Low Chaos ending which was great, but it's pretty clear that I only scratched the surface as far as how you can approach a lot of situations. Besides one mission/level (Flooded Zone) all of the rest are fun and memorable. The atmosphere, unique world, artstyle and attention to detail all ooze quality, and Arkane is now on my radar for whatever they do next. Some people on GAF seem to have an issue with the story or lack of it, but I just don't see it that way at all. I think a lot of people are unaware of the solid amount of story content that isn't forced on you like eavesdropping on conversations, reading books/notes and listening to the audiographs (or whatever they were called...) which all flesh out the story more than the simple tale it appears to be on the surface. This was an awesome game that I had a ton of fun with.

fifa2.jpg

3. FIFA 13 ; Easily the best soccer/football game I've ever played and probably my favorite sports game of all-time. Each of the past 3 or 4 years, EA Canada has managed to raise the bar with the FIFA series and they managed to out-do themselves this year in what was initially thought to be an off year for the series. The visuals have been significantly improved, most of the "jank" from the rollout of the physics engine last year has been cleaned up and the animations are impressive in their quality and quantity. The Skill Games are a great addition as a fun distraction and timesink. All of the modes have seen a lot of improvement from Manager Mode to Pro Clubs to VS Mode Seasons to HUT making for a pretty impressive package for what is essentially a pretty simple sport. The Matchday stuff is well done as player ratings/form are constantly being updated and this info along with team standings and real player stats adds some variety and immersion to the commentary as well. This is my go-to game for relaxing after a long day, and also a great multiplayer experience whether I am playing with my buddies locally or online.

ninja_zps2ec02d48.jpg

4. Mark of the Ninja ; Klei knocked this one out of the park putting together the great visual style of Shank, and tight mechanics and challenging gameplay of N+ and then took it to the next level and some. The mechanics are pretty simple, but you are given some fun tools and let loose to play as stealthily as you want. The real highlight of the gameplay is how information is provided to you visually, from the vision cones, to the sound reverb cues, to how you have limited awareness of stuff on the other side of solid walls/doors is all handled masterfully. The difficulty I thought was just right and ramped up at a perfect pace with some really tricky situations late in the game and the checkpoint system was near flawless as even when you died, it put you right back into the action in a fair spot which made the game really enjoyable rather than an exercise in frustration. The replay value is up there with any XBLA game I've come across as the story mode had a pretty good length, the New Game + was well thought out. Each mission also has a bunch of optional challenges, secret collectables and cool hidden puzzle rooms. Combine that with all the gadgets, abilities and styles you can tinker with to change how you approach situations and this simple looking game is quite a quality package. The thing that really puts this over the top as how well thought out the level design is and the fact that the devs allow you to attempt to play through each level in true non-lethal fashion not forcing you to kill anyone and even further than that, they make it possible for "ghost" runs where if you are good enough you can complete entire levels without anyone even detecting you. The animated cutscenes and little story which turned out more interesting than I had hoped were all just icing on the cake.

spelunky_zps5ea5546b.jpg

5. Spelunky ; This game is brilliant. I knew nothing about the original PC game and checked this out kind of by accident and became hooked. I've never played anything like it: A rogue-like platformer with randomly generated levels so that everytime you play the game its almost a completely new experience and challenge. It seems so simple, just avoid the "obstacles" and make your way down to the bottom of the level without dying... but the craziness that usually happens on almost each try is enough to make you pull your hair out all while grinning from ear to ear. I hope more people give this a try as it's criminally underrated.

journey_zps4c52c709.jpg

6. Journey ; Can't be described better than a breath of fresh air. This game seems likely to end up as a timeless classic and was truly needed this year as refreshment from the industry starving for real creativity. The interesting part for me is that I picked this up off strictly of word of mouth knowing nothing about it, and didn't even realize that your companion was another human player until far too late in the game on my first playthrough. This was simply a joy to play through.

nhl_zps0e3accf6.jpg

7. NHL 13 ; This is the game I've probably spent the most time with out of all the games released this year and the reason my backlog is at a standstill. I play this almost daily in EASHL mode with other gaffers and we usually have a really good time. EA has done a good job continuing to improve gameplay, with only really checking/hitting still a problem area, otherwise most of the other areas are pretty solid now including goalies for a change. The new skating engine is a "gamechanger" that really forces this closer to sim-like play than ever before. A bunch of other "small details" additions this year add up to a really solid alternative to wasting time waiting for the NHL lockout to end.

masseffect_zps1be5528d.jpg

8. Mass Effect 3 ; Mass Effect hands down has been my favorite new franchise of this generation and this was a worthy concluding entry to the trilogy despite it's shortcomings. The ending has been debated to death, and I'm with the majority of people who were not satisfied, but it still doesn't fully diminish what an enjoyable experience it was playing through this. Love the characters and for the most part I thought most of their story arcs in my "universe" had memorable conclusions. I thought the combat was much improved which made the overall experience more enjoyable as to me it was holding back the game in the 1st two games a bit. Hold ME2 in higher esteem, but still came away satisified with BioWare's effort here.

witcher_zps928e05a5.jpg

9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (360) ; Was looking forward to this port as I never got a chance to play the 1st game and people seemed pretty happy with how the original version of The Witcher 2 turned out on the PC. I really dug the story and it's complexity. Only played though it once, as I do for most games and was amazed to hear how different the game all the way can play out with regards to your choices in dealing with Roche and Iorvath who were both really cool memorable characters. Lethos was a badass villain who like most of the game had a lot of depth to him, breaking the usual mold for RPG/Adventure game antagonists. The game has just the right amount of freedom vs linearity and despite the final act kind of losing steam compared to the first half of the game which I thought was mighty impressive it was a great game that I'm greatful got ported to 360.

batman_zpsdf07f531.jpg

2011. Batman: Arkham City ; This was the one big game I wasn't able to finish before last year's deadline and as I predicted it probably would have placed very high in my list. Unsurprisingly, this turned out to be of the same razor sharp quality as Arkham Asylum. I missed the "Metroidvania" aspects from Asylum, and usually am not a big fan of open world games, but Rocksteady put together a quality package with a pretty overwhelming amount of content when you take the into account the lengthy main story along with the Catwoman stuff, side missions and challenges that pushed all the right buttons for me. They also did a nice job evolving all the already standout combat engine, and creating some unique situations that forced you to use different tactics so it didn't grow stale really at all. Can't wait to see what Rocksteady have in store for us next-gen.

televator

1. Journey ; I hate that I feel I have to explain this in this manner... Even if ME3 had a good ending, and AC3 didn't resemble something that might have once been a good game until it was shattered to bits and reassembled by a team of chimpanzees, Journey would still easily remain on top for me. Yes, 2012 was a rough year for AAA games, but it isn't the failure of the AAA games that make this a game worthy of being remembered. The mere thought of that rationale is disgusting to me, because Journey is a game that has broken into "important" status and that's a feat that few games ever have the honor of achieving. I'm not really going to break down Journey's formula or mechanics, because when I play Journey, I get the sense that I'm experiencing a phenomena. People are compelled to care in Journey. Personally, I've felt emotions that I never thought I'd ever feel toward complete strangers in an online game. It simply manages to speak to the better nature of the player. It does this on a medium notorious for a community that's not exactly known for compassion, and maturity. With that, it realizes the potential for games as a vehicle for deep and moving experiences with integrity and artistic competence.

parasight

1. Borderlands 2 ; The most complete game I've played all year. I spent hundreds of hours playing the first one, and the sequel improves on it in every single way. No other shooter has had such interesting guns that felt so good and unique. A large, quirky world populated by some of the most memorable characters this generation. The game is fun on your own, but it's on a whole other level of fun with friends. The best multiplayer game this year. My mind cannot even begin to process how good the next chapter in the Borderlands saga will be.

2. The Walking Dead ; The most compelling story ever told in its medium. I'm not a big fan of games that put story before gameplay altogether, but this one was an exception. So much maturity in the way it handles its characters. Clementine is the most convincing and realistic depiction of a child in any video game. The sense of choice is powerful, even if it's usually smoke and mirrors. At one point I actually thought I caused someone to die, before realizing there was no way to save them. I've never cried because of a video game before, but I cried because of this one. This game prompted me to immediately watch all the episodes of the TV show and read the entire comic series in less than a week. They're good, but they're not even close to as good as this game.

3. Halo 4 ; Graphically stunning. The sound of the guns are all very impactful and feel good to fire. Not the longest Campaign, but one that had interesting set-pieces and large story moments. For their first real Halo game, 343 really knocked it out of the park. I can only hope that the rest of the trilogy is as good.

4. Torchlight II ; Does everything I wish Diablo III had done. The Mapworks feature is a brilliant way to extend replayability without boring repetition. The sheer amount of value you get for this $20 game is insane. The campaign is as long as Diablo's for a third the price. The enemies are varied and feel different in each zone you progress through. The loot progression makes you feel like you are receiving an upgrade every step of the way. Sets and Legendaries are more attainable and make killing bosses seem meaningful. I haven't even messed around with the mods yet, which will no doubt further extend the life of this game.

5. Spelunky ; Surprise of the year. The game wasn't even on my radar. The hype machine got to me and I'm glad it did. I'm not a huge roguelike fan and I'm not a big masochist looking for a super challenging game, but Spelunky capitalizes on the things I do like about those games. It's charming and frustrating. The multiplayer (both coop and competitive) is chaotic and hilarious. I've never hated and loved a game so much.

6. SSX ; Wasn't a huge SSX fan prior to the reboot, but I did enjoy the occasional Tony Hawk (1, 2 and 3). SSX is almost like a rhythm game. Hitting your stride going down the mountain feels so rewarding. When you're in the zone, nothing can stop you. Trick after trick, it's like a work of art. The custom soundtrack feature is very effective at making every jump and trick feel right.

7. SongPop ; Draw Something was nice, but SongPop did it better. Of all the asynchronous social games that came to iOS, SongPop was my favorite. They did a good job at diversifying each playlist as you levelled up. Free updates adding more playlists ensured that the game wouldn't get stale and repetitive.

8. Diablo III ; The most disappointing game of the year. If you asked me what my most anticipated game this year was in January, Diablo III would be on the #1 spot. And while it failed to live up to the hype, there's no denying that it was still enjoyable for dozens of hours. The endgame may have been a mess, but the journey to the end was fun with a group of friends. I did make about $300 through the RMAH, so it was a decent investment, if not fairly boring.

9. Cafeteria Nipponica ; Every year Kairosoft releases the best iOS games for simulation fans. This year was no exception. It was tough choosing between Cafeteria Nipponica, Dungeon Village and Pocket Clothier, but ultimately I felt that Cafeteria had the depth and difficulty that the other two lacked. Earning the #1 spot was a challenge. Cafeteria was the most challenging Kairosoft game I've ever played, and it was a fun climb to the top.

10. Dance Central 3 ; What Harmonix has done with the often flawed Kinect technology is nothing short of great. They've done things in their latest iteration that have genuinely surprised me. After a disappointing sequel to the first Dance Central, it was hard to see how the third game could bring the magic back. Crew Throwdown introduces modes where you can create your own move, freestyle in beat and "pose down". The move creation feature is solid and functions surprisingly well. I cannot wait to see what Harmonix does with next iteration of Kinect.

x. Draw Something
x. NBA 2K13
x. Trials Evolution
x. Fez

Hammer24

Banned
1. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings ; one of the best WRPG in a long time, no game came even close in playtime to this title for me
2. XCOM Enemy Unknown
3. Risen 2
4. Halo 4
5. Borderlands 2
6. Far Cry 3

x. Un-Honorable Mention: Assassins Creed 3 ; I was so much looking forward to the historical setting, so this one was one of my most expected titles. Has been a total letdown for me, clusterfuck of a story, bland and uninteresting protagonists. Bugs galore.

1. Persona 4: Golden ; One of the greatest RPGs ever made becomes an even better game in this new updated version, with new additional scenes, events and dungeon, updated and streamlined mechanics, new online functionality and now you can play it on the go. Persona 4 was easily near the top of the best games on the PS2, and it is pretty clearly the best game on the Vita (though that's not much of an accomplishment). It still makes most RPGs look bad in comparison with its incredibly strong character writing and refined battle system.

2. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ; 999 had surprisingly great writing with the novel concept of jumping to a different choice and getting different endings, in a sort of mediocre Puzzle game. Virtue's Last Reward happens to improve on 999 in nearly every way, with puzzles that are much more coherent as well as the ability to jump into choices immediately instead of having to replay the game from the start. The story also goes balls out weird but manages to still make sense with all the time travel you have to do. Great game and a must play.

3. Xenoblade: Chronicles ; A great RPG with really well written characters and cool battle system. Soundtrack is also pretty amazing too. Hard to believe its a Wii game, but it's a great game to end the console on.

4. Journey ; One of the best co-op experiences I've had in a game. A tale that's been told before and pretty short for what you're paying for, but I think it's the best 15 bucks you'll spend for a game.

5. Gravity Rush ; While the game has mediocre mission design that sort of reminds me of the original Assassin's Creed and the story kind of ends weakly, it's a very good looking game and there's just nothing quick like controlling Kat in the air and shifting gravity around her, watching her fall down, up or sideways at incredible speeds. It's exhilirating.

6. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance ; The latest entry in the series with the craziest story. It's a fun little game that let's you go to really cool disney movie inspired worlds, like Fantasia and Tron: Legacy. Finally being able to play as Sora again (the real one) after years of spin off titles is really refreshing, and hey, The World Ends With You cast is in the game. That's awesome! Though I could probably do without the monster collecting and making, some of the worst design ever.

7. Okami HD ; I loved Okami on the PS2, so being able to play a version of it at a higher resolution and with the filter and credits intact, well I couldn't be more happier. It's a great action/adventure game with a lot of touching moments. Gives another series a run for its money. Also trophy support is nice too.

8. Rhythm Heaven: Fever ; I generally don't like rhythm game, let alone mini game collection other than Wario Ware. But something about the Rhythm Heaven series manages to combine two types of games I dislike into a game I really like. Wub wub wub, is that true? Yes it is.

9. The Walking Dead ; I'm a huge fan of the comics, so seeing a game that makes that dark and depressing content playable, while also giving you some player choice to craft your own story, well it really makes me wonder what else you can do with a Zombie story that doesn't heavily involve shooting them in the head.

10. Dyad ; I don't do recreational drugs but I imagine this is what it feels like in racing game form.

You already know the answer to that question.
well, i take it as a revision for a new console, its even available retail!

1. X-Com: Enemy Unknown ; Addicting gameplay and no other game this year does the "OK now i will start the game ALL OVER AGAIN" because its just so good.
2. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ; Best fighting game in the business, again!
3. Binary Domain ; An amazingly entertaining action game with genuinely funny dialogue!
4. Max Payne 3 ; The gunplay reminds me of FEAR, so satisfying even though the constant cutscenes ruin the pace.
5. Sleeping Dogs ; "Hollywood" style open world crime game done right!
6. Tokyo Jungle ; Permadeath adventure game where you can be a cow! A COW!
7. Super Stardust Delta ; Still try to beat my and everyone elses highscores.
8. Mass Effect 3 ; Finally got to finish the fight. (even though the ending was a mess)
9. Gravity Rush ; A very charming adventure game.
10. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron ; The best transformers game ever made!
x. Super Hexagon ; i'm sure i can beat 10 seconds on every difficulty some day...
x. Syndicate ; Good attempt Starbreeze, good attempt.
x. Hotline Miami ; Great Amiga 500 nostalgia :D

2011. World of Tanks ; Only now started to really play it and its amazing! Strikes a perfect balance between Pay2Win and Free2Play.

I noticed some folks listing Dota 2. Do commercial betas like Dota 2 and Proteus count? I know people voted for Minecraft before the 1.0 release (which is why I didn't vote for it last year).

Due to several troublesome titles, Minecraft included, I believe we decided to only allow released titles to be considered. Else many games have a sort of "perpetual" release that has them being voted on for like 5 years straight, and the games aren't really complete. It also opens the door to voting on demos, etc. It's much easier to draw the line at officially released "final" titles.

Jaroof

1. Dragon's Dogma ; Definitely one of the most fun games I've played all year. I loved making my character into a fat, short, dark, wrinkly guy with dreadlocks named Realbert Babs.. and then making my pawn into a tall, skinny, long-limbed, big-nosed, masculine female named Dave Dale...
Oh, and the game was a blast, too. There were tons of moves, and a very immersive (to me) game world. The enemies were loads of fun to take down, and leveling up actually made you feel a lot more powerful. By the end of the game, you could do some crazy stuff. Definitely plan on buying the expansion/sequel to this.

2. Borderlands 2 ; Just like its predecessor, Borderlands 2 was an insane-ly fun loot-fest with guns. I loved every second of this game. The comedy was much better, the guns were better, the graphics were better.. It was just an all-around good game. Oh, and playing it coop makes the experience even better. I looove coop in a game.

3. Sleeping Dogs ; Combat like batman, super detailed world, and pretty damn good story for an open-world game. Had lots of fun going through the game. Oh, and it had some pretty good laughs in it, too.

Yeah, no. The new platform exception is for releases straddling one New Year's. There have already been two sequels. Forget it.

Otherwise, Tetris would be eligible every year.

see, thats why i asked? :D Also what about Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition? And Hawken should not be on these lists as its only a Beta version...

Black Duke

Neo Member
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: 25th Anniversary Edition
2. Journey - Just an extra-ordinary experience, I loved till it ended.
3. Sound Shapes
4. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Vita)
5. Mass Effect 3
6. Uncharted Golden Abyss
7. Tokyo Jungle
8. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
9. Escape Plan
10. Faster Than Light

1. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ; the other games on the list came and went, but this is the one I keep on returning to. When I get a PS4, THIS will be the game I occasionally dust off my old PSTriple for. For that reason alone it's my game of the year.

2. Journey ; Gorgeous visuals, amazing soundtrack and an unforgettable co-op experience. This game will forever be special to me. I only wish I hadn't played it a third time. Was sligtly less amazing than the first two go's.

3. Far Cry 3 ; Just really, really solid all round. And it features one of the best game villains of all time. Also, punching sharks.

4. The Walking Dead ; Never seen the show or read the comics. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Ended up loving it. Proof that heaps of cutscenes and barely interactive QTE gameplay can be a great thing.

5. Sleeping Dogs ; best GTA clone ever. Hell, I prefer it over most GTA's. It's just fun (without being retarded like Saints Row).

6. Halo 4 ; Thought this would be much higher based on my initial impressions. But the campaign wasn't that memorable and the multiplayer never really grabbed me. Incredible audio/visual work though. And the best combat in its genre, still.

7. Mass Effect 3 ; Actually this should be higher than Halo, but I'm too lazy to go back and fix it :p But I loved this game. The best in the series. Uh huh.

8. Forza Horizon ; Didn't think I was ready for another Forza just yet. But this one turned out to be different enough to warrant a purchase. The career structure is just so superior to the other Forza's that it's almost a better game.

9. Dishonored ; It was fun while it lasted. Some great ideas in there. But I feel like this kind of game needs an interesting story and well... I don't even remember that ugly little girl's name.

10. Resident Evil 6 ; I'll just put this here because nothing else is coming to mind at the moment and I'm tired of typing.

1. Mass Effect 3 ; bad ending be damned, I had a blast for 20 hours before the last 5 minutes.
2. Hitman Absolution
3. Halo 4 ; enjoyed playing the campaign alone and then co-op on legendary. The multi is really good too.
4. Farcry 3 ; the surprise of the year.
5. Xcom

Nyx

1. Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed ; Probably the most fun I had with a videogame in years, the racing feels perfect, the tracks are very creative, and overall it&#8217;s just a great package.
2. Awesomenauts ; Was in 1st place for quite some time, but due to the lack of console-support I can&#8217;t make it my GOTY. It&#8217;s AWESOME though, and a great take on the MOBA-genre.
3. The Walking Dead ; I still need to finish the last 2 EP&#8217;s, but it&#8217;s been a long time since the story and characters of a game made such an impact on me.
4. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
5. Far Cry 3
6. Sleeping Dogs
7. Fifa 13
8. Need for Speed Most Wanted
9. The Pinball Arcade
10. Football Manager 2013

Firebrand

Can I vote on Iron Brigade? Originally released in 2011 on the 360 but didn't come out on the PC until this summer. DD only on both platforms.

GlamFM

Banned
1. Forza Horizon ; Somebody here described this game as racing crack - he´s absolutely right. Couldn´t put this game down for hours the atmosphere was just fantastic.
The game even got me to like Dub Step - odd, because I usually only listen to music.
From what I understand it has not sold too well - I still hope we get a sequel. Great concept.

2. Sleeping Dogs

Schlomo

1. Journey (PS3); games are experiences, and this was definitely the strongest, most overwhelming emotional experience of the year; genius implementation of "anonymous" online multiplayer
2. Resident Evil Revelations (3DS); I had just as much fun with this as with 4 and 5; one of the few games I played to 100 % completion this year
3. Darksiders 2 (PC); amazing action adventure game, infinitely better than the solid first one and much closer to Zelda
4. Nintendoland (Wii U); one of the best local multiplayer experiences ever; if I had spent more time on it, it might have been even higher in the list
5. Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS); a strange game in many ways, from the schizophrenic controls to the bizarre humour; I loved it when I played it, but I always felt burnt out after each session and didn't touch it for weeks; all in all, I would certainly recommend everyone to try it out
6. The Unfinished Swan (PS3); not as emotional as Journey but still very stylish and artistic; a PS3 must have
7. Dustforce (PC); really cool art and music, and satisfying gameplay
8. Dead or Alive 5 (PS3); I'm not a fighting game player, but I enjoy beating up the wife every now and then (in this game); plus, I'm a sucker for Mila (but don't tell my wife!)
9. Binary Domain (PC); really good effort from the Yakuza team, fun shooter all around; I liked it much more than most "gritty" western shooters
10. Botanicula (PC); not spectacular in any way, but sooo cute!

Honourable Mentions:
Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
Forza Horizon (360)

2011. Batman Arkham City (PC); I regret that I didn't play this earlier; just as good as the first one, and the atmosphere and graphics are incredible
Rayman Origins (PS3); awesome 2D art and gameplay on par with something like DKC Returns; I loved it

Edit: Apparently Rayman is a 2011 game, so I took it out...

1. The Walking Dead; Telltale really hit the sweet spot with this one. Touching story, intense sequences and a big bunch of memorable characters.
2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown; This was the only game in 2012 that I hesitated to buy. I don't particularly like strategy games, but I still fell in love with it. Simple, addicting and sometimes very brutal (difficulty wise).
3. Spec Ops: The Line; Gameplay offered nothing new here but the story raised the bar for the whole shooter genre. This was a very mental trip portraying the horrors of war + awesome character progression and a great setting (Dubai).
4. Borderlands 2; A game that made me laugh and do shitloads of sidequests to get better loot. Also, Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of all time
5. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition; The Xbox 360 version was well worth the wait. A solid experience overall with some nice touches and details here and there.
6. Max Payne 3; Opposite to Spec Ops this was all about the gameplay. Best gunplay, best physics and best controls in a shooter. Ever.
7. Journey
8. Dishonored
9. FEZ
10. Rock Band Blitz
x. I AM Alive;
x. SSX;

2011. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (iOS)

Trumpets

Only three games really stick out this year:

1. Asura's Wrath - Wasn't expecting much from this, but then I didn't know what sort of game it was until the reviews started coming in. What at first glance appeared to be a daft God of War clone was actually a playable anime box set with the most jaw-dropping set pieces ever seen in a videogame. Best music of the year too, and some of the best visuals.

2. The Witcher 2 - One of the few reasons I had to be jealous of PC gamers evaporated when this AMAZING conversion arrived on 360.

3. Journey - It's amazing that such a short game can make you feel as if you've lived through a whole life, from birth to death and beyond, with all its peaks and troughs. Perfect melding of sound and visuals.

Poyunch

1. Katawa Shoujo ; Okay I came into this as my first VN very skeptical. I thought it was just some game about sexing up girls with a fetishstic twist. What I found was a touching game about themes that I don't normally think about. It's extremely strange to put such a game at the top of a GOTY list since it's not AAA, retail, or even from a mainstream genre but this game gave me a ton of mixed feelings that I don't normally get from game stories.
  2. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; This game was definitely more game-y that Katawa Shoujo and it would probably be at my top otherwise. The game has cute dialogue and fun voice acting, Great production values, and it's a fun little shooter. It's packed with so much content and it all just becomes one cohesive little game.
  3. Persona 4: Golden ; I was hesitant to put this on this list since it's technically an old game but since this is my first time playing it, I get to put it. It's a pretty good improvement over Persona 3 with a more likable cast and some design choices that improves the formula of these games. The socializing aspect of the series still keeps me hooked.
  4. Sleeping Dogs ; Terrific open-world game that strikes a unique balance between polish and jank that results in some hilarious but sometimes frustrating moments. The combat is extremely satisfying as was keeping the bullet-time while shooting.
  5. The Walking Dead ; Enough's been said about the game. The game has superb writing and it uses the allure of choice to keep you involved in the game's story and its world.
  6. X-COM: Enemy Unknown ; The game is so good but I'm just too prone to save scrubbing that I sometimes find it frustrating. Not entirely the game's fault, but the randomize maps and events sometimes means you can screw up big time. Still I love it.
  7. Tokyo Jungle ; The sheer absurdity of this game is what makes me love this game so much. I'm not much of a fan of rogue-likes but the act of seeing a pomeranian take down a lion is just hilarious.
  8. Borderlands 2 ; It's a great loot game that has a ton of content and makes for great multiplayer sessions. Borderlands be borderlanding.
  9. Journey ; The game was just gorgeous throughout the entire game. I played with a player who clearly knew where all the secrets were and it felt like I was being taken on a pilgrimage guided by this world-weary person. I managed to play the entire game with one player and it was great. I lost him at the final bend and I was so sad we couldn't reach the top together.
  10. Rhythm Heaven Fever ; is still a good game. It's cute, it's simple in input but it still challenging. Plus it's great for parties.

Unfortunately that's all I really feel like I could say. Botanicula was cute but I don't think it was all that mindblowing. I was hoping to add Darksiders 2 into this list but it's extremely boring for me. I loved Okami but I just couldn't force myself through the opening of Okami HD. I'm not saying it's a bad game because it's truly one of the best games of last generation but having played it before I just can't feel like it has much impact for me this year. There was also Xenoblade, it was extremely addicting for me but then I just stopped playing it and I was far from anywhere close to halfway. I don't feel like I could say whether or not it belongs in my GOTY list. At the least it's on my honorable mentions list.

I have plans to play XCOM, Syndicate, Binary Domain, SSX, and Asura's Wrath before the year ends so hopefully some of those can top off the rest of my list. I would have liked to play Zombi U and put it on this list but there's no way I could do it in time for the list.

Top Bottom