• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2012 - Voting Thread, now closed. Thanks for all the fish.

2. Thirty Flights of Loving
1. The Walking Dead
4. Hotline Miami ; Appearing out of no where with a thumping soundtrack, Hotline Miami exuded more punk than Grasshopper Manufacture has in their entire closet.
3. Fez
5. FTL: Faster than Light
6. Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP

x. Alan Wake ; Too much Havok™ Physics ended up stressing me out
x. Far Cry 3 ; Half a good game

2011. Binding of Isaac

Thanks to the people who make this award happen. Time to see how Dishonored is.

Tunic

1. The Walking Dead ; This was by far the most enjoyable game I played this year. The story was excellent, it was a comic book come to life. I felt very attached to all the characters for all unique reasons. The graphics were a nice nod to comic books, I throughly enjoyed the art style of the game. I was simply addicted to getting each episode as soon as it was released. I am beyond ready to experience what Telltale can give us with Season 2. They did such an excellent job with The Walking Dead universe with this game. Beyond amazing and clearly the best game of 2012.

2. Journey
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. ZombiU
5. Kid Icarus: Uprising
6. Hotline Miami
7. New Super Mario Bros. U
8. Diablo 3
9. Dishonored
10. Sleeping Dogs

x. Nintendo Land
x. LEGO The Lord of the Rings

2011. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Odrion

Banned
LBi1y.jpg
1. La Mulana ; In a generation of games that have to handhold gamers, where using your brain for a minute is seen as a bad thing worthy of ridicule for game critics and gamers alike, where the terrible mentally-passive gimmick that is "Fez" manages to be critically acclaimed, La Mulana feels out of place in the best way possible. It's difficult and brilliant, and constantly rewards and punishes your curiosity. It's more than a homage to an forgotten era. It's a masterpiece.

2. The Walking Dead ; One of the most well written games of all time. It does what Heavy Rain promises, and it makes adventure games relevant again in the 21st century.

3. Dust: An Elysian Tail ; An amazing, jaw dropping testament of what a single talented person with a passion for video games can do. Every pixel feels like it's lovingly created, and playing the game feels outright joyous. It's the Prozac for the gamer who feels fatigued from the endless gritty shooters and edgy action titles that has saturated our market.

4. X-Com
5. Spelunky
6. Hotline Miami
7. Dragon's Dogma
8. Sweepy Dawgs
9. Dishonored
10. Torchlight 2

2011. Skyrim; mods have really filled this game out into something really good.

Still need to play Far Cry 3, but ya'know. I'm holding out for a Steam sale.

Snipes424

1. Zombi U ; Best survival horror game in over a decade. It proves the Wii U gamepad is not a gimmick, but an interesting device that can enhance nearly any game genre.
2. The Walking dead
3. XCOM
4. Journey
5. Far Cry 3
6. Halo 4
7. Rayman Origins
8. Gravity Rush
9. New Super Mario Bros U
10. Assassins Creed 3

OmegaZero

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; The most fun I've ever had in a handheld game. I don't know if Sakurai will ever be able to top this. It has more content then many console games, and an absolutely brilliant soundtrack.

2. Dishonored ; An new, original IP that appealed to me in almost every way possible, from the open-ended gameplay to the awesome combinations of abilities. It did not disappoint. Amazing atmosphere.

3. Gravity Rush ; Another new IP, with a quirky, likable heroine and a complex, entertaining story (that unfortunately is riddled with cliches). While the combat is repetitive and dull, that feeling I got soaring through the city and running on walls (while listening to Kōhei Tanaka's beautiful soundtrack) made it worth the price.

4. Resident Evil: Revelations ; The best Resident Evil since 4, only diluted by the bland action segments. There were some moments that genuinely creeped me out, something that hasn't happened in a Resident Evil game since the Regenerators from RE4.

5. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD ; At the end of a year of me-too shooters and scripted campaigns, this game comes along and reminds me what shooters can be like with a injection of creativity. Open-ended encounter design, creative ammo types, great art direction and an engaging story focused on the mysterious protagonist made this more like a present then a purchase.

Honorable mention - My Flash GOTY ; Dikembe Mutombo's 4 1/2 Weeks to Save the World ; Hilarious writing and fun gameplay wrapped up in a not-ugly pixel art presentation.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
2. Thirty Flights of Loving
1. The Walking Dead
4. Hotline Miami ; Appearing out of no where with a thumping soundtrack, Hotline Miami exuded more punk than Grasshopper Manufacture has in their entire closet.
3. Fez
5. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

x. Alan Wake ; Too much Havok™ Physics ended up stressing me out
x. Far Cry 3 ; Half a good game

2011. Binding of Isaac

Thanks to the people who make this award happen. Time to see how Dishonored is.
That numbering is not okay.

Nezumi

1. Journey ; An audiovisual masterpiece in every aspect. Nomen est omen. The game takes you on one of the most intensive journeys this year, if not in video game history.

2. Nintendoland ; It is always more fun to play with others and it is even more fun to play Nintendoland with others. As long as you have friends to play with I can't see how this game could ever get boring.

3. Unfinished Swan ; Unique style and idea. Like the swan I'm not yet finished playing this game. But it deserves a spot in my top three.

4. Botanicula ; Out of the tons of Point 'n Click adventures I played this year, this is the only one that was actually released 2012. Absolutly adorable art-style. Puzzles could have been a bit harder.

5. DOA 5 ; I'm not big on fighting games but this is the only 2012 title left that I played this year and a I find a top 5 somehow better than a top 4. Besides the husband and I do have some fun with this game.

2011 Xenoblade Chronicles - What is there left to say. There was just so little that this game didn't do right.

yurinka

1. Journey ; Finally someone proved that games can be art.
2. Gravity Rush ; My favorite new portable IP of this generarion. Great world, lovely characters and great usage of the new controls.
3. Street Fighter x Tekken ; Best fighter of the year that was a really hard to implement dream crossover idea.
4. Wipeout 2048 ; Best racing game of the gen, a ton of hours of fun and visually amazing.
5. Motorstorm RC ; Really addictive and fun with a lot of content. Showcases the ultimate version of cross-save and pricing (cheap cross-buy + cheap DLC) that a lot of other people should follow.
6. Lumines Electronic Symphony ; New version of the best puzzle since Tetris with cool additions is my favorite puzzle of the year.
7. Uncharted Golden Abbyss ; Great game that even with some minor flaws proved that finally handhelds matched the level of current gen consoles.
8. The Unfinished Swan ; First great game of a new studio that successfully follows the artsy path of TGC. If this is their Flow, they'll end doing something better than Flower.
9. Escape Plan ; Awesome visuals, artstyle, music, and puzzles making a great usage of the backpad.
10. Botanicula ; Really cute, charming and pretty game.
x. Sound Shapes
x. Dragon's Dogma
x. Resident Evil 6

2011. Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP

fin

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; Such a breath of fresh air, love this game to death.
2. Walking Dead ; Got this on a Steam sale, played all 5 episodes in one sitting.
3. Syndicate ; Great shooting, artwork and best coop since Portal 2.
4. Halo 4 ; My favorite Halo since CE.
5. QUBE ; An excellent puzzle game.
6. Journey ; Would've been higher on the list if it was longer. Still really enjoyed it.
7. Mark of the Ninja ; 2D stealth game? So good!
8. Darksiders 2 ; Best Zelda game I've played since OOT.
9. Transcripted ; A very addictive puzzle game, again love steam sales.
10. Farcry 3 ; It's like Skyrim but with guns...

x. Hawken ; Just started playing it this week, but I'm hooked
x. Mass Effect 3 ; The ending killed it for me...

2011. Battlefield 3

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
goty2012.png

1. DIKEMBE MUTOMBO'S 4 1/2 WEEKS TO SAVE THE WORLD ; great writing, fun gameplay, great graphics and music, and the fact that they were able to have relevant events tie into the gameplay like that while meeting deadlines...this is easily the most inspired game of the year.

2. Journey ; Never had I had an experience with gaming before as I did with Journey. An absolute masterpiece.

3. Twisted Metal ; It didn't compromise, was as confusing and thick as it's ever been (running out of buttons on the controller with all of the functions that there's even some tilt functions!), and turned out to be a winner. Good on Jaffe and Co. not bending to make the game accessible for all, but a true sequel to a franchise that should have been handled better by SCE.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
1. Sleeping Dogs ; One of my favorite games of this generation, much less the year. A combination of the open world of a Grand Theft Auto with the Bully/Warriors combat system but improved upon. A great variety of music, characters, graphics, and gameplay. The characters may not be as deep as some others, but they're all passable and interesting. Also some great voice acting, especially Wei's. The exotic location also made the game a ton of fun for me. The only improvement I could see in a sequel is fleshing out the world more and making it feel more 'alive' like GTA 4 and Red Dead do.

2. Hotline Miami ; Late entry edit. I bought this game during the Steam sale and have been having so much fun with it. Everything feels good about it, the gameplay's like a dumbed down but much faster stealth game which makes it incredibly easy to jump in and out of. It's violent, it's brutal, and it's fucked up, but it's made awesome by contrasting it with bright, vibrant visuals. The music is some of the best I've ever heard, and it's just got such thick atmosphere for a top down 2d game. I feel such a rush when I properly execute like 5 guys in a row, and it's the only game to ever give me nightmares(because of the trailers rather than the game itself)

3. Persona 4: Golden ; Kind of a cheating option, but I don't care. I hated/loved this game for hours, but I think I can decide that I really love it. It's one of the few JRPG's that I can put up with because the writing and translating is so well done. There's no Final Fantasy 'pie in the sky' bullshit. For the most part, they talk like teenagers/real people would talk(at least in the context of a game where people don't talk over one another). The combat's okay, but the storyline and the characters are what keeps it interesting. The fusing does get addicting as well, just to see the really cool monster designs. I don't know what it is about it either, but it REALLY makes me notice how sharp the OLED on the Vita is. I guess it's all the 2d art.

4. Pokemon Black & White 2 ; Again, this one's kind of cheating for different reasons. I haven't played a proper Pokemon since Pearl, and I had not finished one since Yellow, so I couldn't burn out as easily. The game completely hooked itself into me. The 3d landscapes, the insane amount of new pokemon, the environments felt especially interesting compared to the older titles. The combat was a ton of fun, and I picked up a copy with my friend, so we had a bunch of fun trading with each other, and I also enjoyed the Gaf community. I also thought it was cool how deep it COULD go, but I didn't mess with a lot of that. I did think the Dream Link stuff was shady feeling because I didn't enjoy it, but it was the only non-trade way to get certain Pokemon. I felt an attachment to the main crew of monsters I had, and I found the story a lot more interesting than the typical Pokemon game(as in, it actually had one)

5. Binary Domain ; I remember seeing the initial trailer for this game and thinking about how dumb it looked and thinking about how they were wasting Nagoshi's time with this, but the more I saw in previews, the better it looked. I finally got to play it, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't care much for Dan or Bo or most of the team. They grow on you, but they're still annoying. What I did like about the game is how well it's paced. Every level in that game is fun. There's no 'bad level' like most games have. It always feels like you're being thrown into a new environment that's so different from the last that you're still really enjoying it. I also enjoyed watching the robots explode, the 'future' Japan that they had crafted, and I was reminded of Terminator 2 particularly in one of the chase scenes near the end of the game. Overall, a very solid shooter. I do think they had a glimpse of the really good Yakuza drama in one of the scenes in the underground city, but it's never seen again.

6. Warriors Orochi 3 ; Usually I don't include these on my lists for the sake that they're just guilty pleasures for me, but this is the best one Koei's ever done. This is so good that I have trouble believing that Koei did it. They take their best game formula(Orochi, which makes it a lot better by having constant access to 3 characters to change up the repetition) and fix EVERYTHING around it. Don't get me wrong, it still plays like a Musou game, but it's the best one they've ever done. The framerate is smooth despite having tons of guys on screen,(Orochi 2 had horrid framerates) they gave you tons and tons of stages and unlockables, and they assembled an insanely big and varied cast for this one. You could just lose hours and hours in it, and it really helps how much variety they put in the stages. It's going to be hard to go back to non-Orochi games after this one, and I don't know if I can.

7. DJ Max Technika Tune ; I'm not one for rhythm games, and I haven't been for a while. Maybe that's why I enjoyed the game so much. Because I was seperated from them for so long, it was a similar case with the Pokemon. Truth be told, I don't much care for the music in this game either. I think a lot of it is terrible, but I have a ton of fun with the controls. It's simplistic, but it gets nuts if you want it too, and I'm in love with the presentation.

8. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy ; So this is a real fun one, as I am not a fan of Final Fantasy or rhythm games. My history with Final Fantasy games goes from watching my brother play the SNES ones up to 8, and my only Final Fantasy that I finished being 9. I really liked it though. The gameplay was fun, and everything about the art was fantastic. The little dudes on the screen, the monsters, and the backgrounds showing gameplay of the series you were doing the song for. I could do without all the accessories, skills, etc though. I think that's Square's usual problems of 'oh we make RPGs, so we better add a bunch of stats' like they did with Dissidia. It's just unncessary, but I was still able to have a ton of fun without putting much time into those parts.

9. Trials Evolution ; Not my kind of game, but it was a ton of fun. I usually don't like games that make me aggravated, but I found myself coming back to this constantly. The level creator gave me hours and hours of extra game time too.

10. Amazing Spider-Man ; It's not great. It spoils the movie, but it's progress. It's one of the few, recent Spider-Man games that I KIND of enjoyed. I thought the web rush stuff turned out a lot more better than I thought it would. This game's mostly in here because of how much of a letdown most the games I wanted to be good in 2012 were.

Danny-Boy

Tough year. I found it very hard to separate my top 3. I enjoyed them all equally.

1. Assassin's Creed III ; I love the series and this did not let me down.
2. Far Cry 3 ; Still playing and loving every minute.
3. Borderlands 2 ; Skipped Borderlands. Thought I'd give this a go on the back on some good reviews. I absolutely loved it.

4. Darksiders II
5. Max Payne 3
6. Mass Effect 3
7. Sound Shapes
8. Journey

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
1. Dragon's Dogma ; Without a doubt the best game I played in 2012. Sure it's got some rough edges, but it's really a game that is far, far more than the sum of its parts. I've put nearly 100 hours into it, and have beaten it twice, and I'm still not done with it.

2. Warriors Orochi 3 ; I'll just echo what Dragonzord said here and say that I'm not sure I can ever go back to non-Orochi Musou games after this. It's just so...perfect. Just about anything would feel like a step back after WO3. Not my GOTY, but definitely my most played game of the year (~180 hours).

3. Hotline Miami ; This one took me completely by surprise. It's ridiculously frustrating, but so goddamn satisfying as well. The story has me hooked, too. Which doesn't happen often. And DAT MUSIC.

4. Journey ; I'm not sure if Journey is the best "artistic" game I've ever played, but if it's not, it's pretty close. Everything about it is just absolutely beautiful. I definitely look forward to thatgamecompany's next release.

5. Tokyo Jungle ; Absolutely proof that "weird Japanese games" still have a place in today's gaming world. Tokyo Jungle is kinda like what you'd get if you mixed The Sims: Pets with Shiren the Wanderer. Or something. I'm not really sure how to describe it, except for "awesome".

6. Double Dragon Neon ; I, like most others, thought Neon looked like garbage when it was first announced. But after playing it, I was completely sold. Although the game felt more like a new Streets of Rage than a new Double Dragon, it's still the best sidescrolling beat 'em up in a long, long time.

7. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ; Absolutely the best Tekken ever made. I sold it after I got the Platinum trophy, but I loved the 60 or so hours I put into it.

8. FTL: Faster Than Light

9. Lego Batman 2

10. Legend of Grimrock

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
1. Journey ; A true "experience." It came out 9 months ago and it hasn't dropped down my list one bit. Soundtrack of the year.
2. Far Cry 3 ; There's just something great about liberating bases, hunting animals, and trying out new ways to tackle different situations. No other game gave me that feeling of needing to get back to playing it quite like Far Cry 3.
3. The Walking Dead ; Not normally a genre I play, but the writing, voice acting, and characterization put this near the top. Technical issues were a disappointment for a game not doing much in the graphics department and definitely soured the experience a bit.
4. Mark of the Ninja ; Stealth + 2D. My favorite types of games merged together flawlessly.
5. Hotline Miami ; Thwack. High pace, amazing soundtrack, and great vibe come together great.
6. Dishonored
7. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (360)
8. Halo 4
9. Dragon's Dogma
10. Double Dragon Neon

2011. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

1. Xenoblade Chronicles; It's the best RPG I have ever played, my only complaint is the quests that I mostly ignored

2. Virtue's Last Reward; My favorite 3DS/vita game to date, it proved me how amazing a Visual Novel can be.

3. Journey; This game... I'm so grateful to whoever played with me, we were together the whole game and it was simply an amazing experience, totally unforgettable.

4. The Walking Dead

5. Kid Icarus: Uprising

6. Persona 4: Arena

7. Dark Souls PC

8. Persona 4 Golden

9. Hotline Miami

10. Borderlands 2

x. Asura's Wrath

x. Spec Ops: The Line

clear31

1. Walking Dead ; game of the year for me, amazing story and just the first time I genuinely cared for a character in a video game
2. Sleeping Dogs ; so much fun, best sandbox game in awhile and just loved the world
3. Max Payne 3 ; loved it, gameplay felt perfect and the story was very engaging
4. Binary Domain ; loved the gameplay and did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did
5. New Super Mario Bros 2 ; coin rush mode is brilliant
6. Mark of the Ninja ; fun stealth experience
7. Forza Horizon ; racer of the year
8. Lego Batman 2 ; did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did, fun experience. Voice acting was impressive
9. Hot Shots Golf: World International ; the only game needed to love the vita
10. Trials Evolution ; just improved on everything from the first

1. Mass Effect 3; Definitely my GOTY. I've loved the series since the beginning and as far as I'm concerned ME3 didn't disappoint. I even liked the ending.
2. Binary Domain; A surprise hit for me. I hated the demo but decided to pick up the game because of word of mouth. Glad I did because I absolutely loved it.
3. Asura's Wrath; Another surprise for me this year. I blind purchased this one and that is something I almost never do. Well it ended up being a great experience. Had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.
4. Sleeping Dogs
5. Walking Dead
6. The Darkness 2
7. XCOM
8. Persona 4: Golden
9. Borderlands 2
10. Lollipop Chainsaw

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I came to the realization that I really didn't play too many games this year. My honorable mentions are games I bought this year, but didn't play...

Now, onto the list.

1. Forza Horizon; I was prepared to skip this game, until I saw the Microsoft Store Black Friday deal. I'm glad I jumped in on it. Honestly, I spent most of my time cruising, looking for the discount signs, and just taking the scenery. It's almost zen like. The actual racing is awesome, easy for me to get into since I spent most of last year playing Forza 4. Hands down, my GOTY for 2012.
2. Fart Cat
3. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
4. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
5. Pinball Arcade
6. Hot Shots Golf: World Invatational
7. Binary Domain
8. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
9. Ridge Racer Unbounded
10. Angry Birds Space
x. Lollipop Chainsaw
x. Max Payne 3
x. Hotline Miami
x. The Walking Dead

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
1. Journey ; Got this a week after release when a friend had already played it and I felt like an idiot for not getting it sooner.

2. Resident Evil 6 ; Another case of gaf overhyping then overreacting.

3. Street Fighter X Tekken ; I must be the only one who liked this game but it was great.

seady

This year I spend most of my time playing mobile games. With work and life I simply don't have time to sit down and play anymore. Most of my gaming time are on train or bus.

1. Puzzle & Dragons (iOS) ; A fusion of Pokemon and Bejeweled. It got rid of the boring tap tap tap of the boring Pokemon battle and replaced with fun puzzler. The monsters are very well designed and all have different special abilities. The best part is it let you collaborate with your friend's monster online. The game also keeps on updating every week to add in new special events and new/rare/evolved monsters (now already 5xx+ monsters to collect) - something that is not possible in Pokemon game.
PD-Featured.jpg

2. Hero Academy (iOS/PC) ; The best strategy game I have played since the original Advance War. It's simple and cute to learn, but deep as chess with many strategy involved. It's one of the very few games I keep playing still on the iOS (since most others are just time waster that I only play once and throw it away).
hero-academy.jpg

3. The Walking Dead (iOS/PC/PS3/360) ; The best story telling and choice making mechanic in a video game ever. It has been a very long time since I glued to the gaming screen and never let go until I beat the game - because I just got to know what is going to happen next in the story.
mzl.cpqlnrtz.320x480-75.jpg

4. Persona 4 : Golden
5. Sleeping Dogs
6. Xenoblade Chronicles
7. Mass Effect 3
8. Resident Evil : Revelations
9. Nintendo Land
10. ZombiU

2011. Super Mario 3D Land. Still my GOTY2011. The level design is just super inventive and still no game out there uses 3D in such amazing way.

1. The Walking Dead; The only game that has ever made me tear up. I was so emotionally dedicated to the characters throughout the story that I started getting anxiety when I had to make even the smallest of choices. The Lee/Clementine relationship was so well done, and while it really qualifies as more of a choose-your-own-adventure than a game, The Walking Dead was my favorite of the year.

2. Borderlands 2; Didn't play all Borderlands 1 to completion, so the shooter RPG elements were still fresh to me. The artwork and gameplay were fantastic, and it was just the right amount of challenging. This was the only game that I could begin again right after finishing it.

3. Halo 4; A very close third, I really enjoyed the latest iteration in the Halo series. The campaign was fun, though some missions felt like they dragged a bit too long, and the multiplayer is great. Ordinances were a great touch to make Slayer more tactical. At first, I didn't think Spartan Ops would have much value for me, but I ended up playing for hours and hours on end. Just wish that it had better/smaller multiplayer maps and a Pit remake.

4. Mass Effect 3; While the game seems to be remembered most for its [lack of an] ending, the journey there was on par with some of the best moments from Mass Effect 2. Multiplayer was surprisingly well done (outside of the gratuitous microtransactions). Just more great Mass Effect action.

5. Far Cry 3; Fantastic surprising game. Just great.

6. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2; Big surprise here. I'm a yearly patron of the CoD games, but the campaign of BlOps 2 blew the past few games out of the water. Strike missions were a fun (and challenging) addition and mutliplayer is great, too (specifically the bonus/small map grab bag playlists).

7. Darksiders 2; While not perfect, Darksiders 2 was a fun addition to the series. I loved the art style, and gameplay was good, too.

8. The Darkness II; Great, underrated game. One of my favorite shooters of the year. Love the Darkness gameplay mechanic. While it's fairly short (8 hours or so), it was a very satisfying 8 hours.

9. Need for Speed: Most Wanted; I'm still working my way through the single player, but the multiplayer is great. I love the open world sandbox (never played Burnout Paradise), but the cops are starting to get super annoying. Regardless, I love Criterion's NFS games, so this one makes my list.

10. SSX; Snowboarding, man. SSX. Great gameplay, great music, dynamic multiplayer leaderboards.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
  1. Super Mario 3D Land 2011 ; It was fun.
  2. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy ; It was fun too.
  3. Katawa Shoujo ; 4/5 fun.
  4. Kid Icarus Uprising ; Too much padding towards the end.
  5. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ; 999 was better.
  6. New Super Mario Bros. U ; Keep on squeezing the shit outta the franchise Nintendo!

ZZMitch

1. Fez ; I deciphered an ancient alphabet, number system and controller inputs, I scanned QR codes, I responded to controller vibrations, I sat around for hours (and then days) waiting for a time based puzzle to complete, I took the smallest clues and cues and found amazing secrets that made me smile. I was truly amazed by world this game had to offer. Every secret I discovered drew me deeper. The amazing pixel art and unique rotating control made this game my favorite of the year. You may be a polarizing figure Phil Fish, but you made a game that opened up my imagination like no other. A true masterpiece and work of art.
2. Halo 4 ; This game is so close to being my favorite game of the year. The multiplayer aspect of this game is one of the best I have participated in this generation. Playing Big Team Battle especially is something I can do over and over for hours on end. 343 really made it a mode that I consider the way Halo is ment to be played. The single player aspect is also strong, but it didn't have the same effect on me that Halo: Combat Evolved, for example, did. Even though, this is one of my favorite Halo games, which is no small accomplishment seeing as it is my favorite game franchise.
3. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ; It really is a huge shame that 38 studios went under because this is the best RPG I have played in a long time. The combat in this game is second to none in a RPG as far as I am concerned. The world is beautiful as well, even though I played it on the Xbox. This is also the first game in a long time that I finished and then immediately began again to play as another character type, which is why it is so high on my list.
4. Torchlight 2 ; I love loot and this game loves to provide me with awesome loot! I enjoy good combat, and this game provides that. It runs flawlessly on my lap top and is the go to game for me when away from my desktop. Can't wait to dive back in!
5. FTL: Faster Than Light ; Hull Breach! Fires in the Med bay! Engines failing! Enemy Boarders! Firing lasers! This game actually made me feel like the captain of a space ship, which is an amazing achievement. It is also a unique idea that is executed with near perfection.
6. Pokemon Black and White 2 ; It's Pokemon. I knew what I was getting into and knew this would be one of my top games of the year. There is really no other game series that can enthrall me as much in a mobile setting as Pokemon. Black and White 2 is just more of that and that is all I wanted and expected from the game.
7. NBA 2K13 ; The ingenious RPG-like myCareer mode is keeping me hooked. It is a special feeling when you pass the ball to a CPU player (a good pass mind you), watch them do the work and then get credited for an assist and receive points. The best sports game I have ever played.
8. Crusader Kings 2 ; I wish this game was higher on my list. It has so many things from one of my favorite all-time games (Europa Universalis 3) that I love, such as the historical and political aspects of nation building. I just couldn't really get my head around vassal management in my time playing and my nations would inevitably fall apart at a certain point. This is a problem on my end and not the game's though, and I respect it's achievements, especially in character creation.
9. Civilization V: Gods and Kings ; A great add-on to Civ 5, finally 'completing' a game that I had already enjoyed for months.
10. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 ; I bought this game expecting to play a bunch of multiplayer and then forget about it. I won't be forgetting the great single player story and interesting choices that were made in it.

2011. Saints Row: The Third ; I played this at my cousin's house early in the summer, didn't expect much since I have never been a fan of Grant Theft Auto. It is such a ridiculous and fun game. So many funny lines and just awesome random shit.

Feep

Banned
1. Virtue's Last Reward - One of the finest, more absolutely insane narratives the video game industry has ever seen. Utterly incredible; I was sacrificing work, sleep, and social relationships over it. Dominated my mind, consuming every spare thought, for weeks.

2. Journey - Interesting that my top two video games for 2012 are more "experiences" than anything.

3. Frog Fractions - Make that top three.

4. Fez

5. Dikembe Mutombo's Four and a Half Weeks to Save the World

6. Guild Wars 2

7. NintendoLand

8. Diablo 3

9. FTL

10. New Super Mario Bros. U

Mooreberg

01. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - everything and the kitchen sink.
02. Hotline Miami - The most addictive 2D puzzle game I have played since Tetris.
03. Dishonored - Has its flaws, but also has excellent level design and traversal.
04. The Walking Dead - Not the best "game" per se, but the best delivery of episodic content so far.
05. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown - A great release that is sadly lacking Quest Mode.
06. Counter-Strike Global Offensive - It is still Counter-Strike, which is more interesting than most new shooters.
07. Mark of the Ninja - 2D Tenchu.
08. Sleeping Dogs - Some of the best combat in an open world game.
09. Journey - Some of the most interesting use of co-op in a game.
10. Far Cry 3 - Excellent campaign and one of the better villains of the generation.

Nert

I'm glad to see some people pushing for Dikembe Mutombo's Four and a Half Weeks to Save the World here. I still have a few games that I want to get through before writing a formal list, but I'm positive that it will come up. In a year with a lot of excellent writing and narrative in games, it still manages to stand out with its unrelenting humor.

1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ; A true experience, plain and simple. (Though there is actually nothing plain and simple about the game itself.) From the word go you are taken on a ride of emotions that doesn't let up until you've reached the end, and even then it stays with you. A fantastic follow up to the ground breaking 999, and I'm practically frothing for Vol. 3. Visual novels are not a relic of the past, but a thriving genre, that when put in the right hands, can be on the forefront of gaming.

2. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy ; An addicting and challenging rhythm game that makes excellent use of the great catalog of Final Fantasy music. The RPG elements could of been expanded and I'm still not a huge fan of the art style, but the stratifying gameplay and the pure feeling of nostalgia more than make up for those issues.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles ; A perfect example of how to make a "modern" JRPG without forgoing the unique elements of the genre that make it special. Beautiful, engrossing, and loaded with content. The standard which all new JRPG IPs should strive for.

4. Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time ; One of the best entries in one of the most underrated real time RPG series finally makes its way to North America. A great cast of characters, engrossing relationship system and more diverging story routes & endings than you can shake a stick at make this a dream for RPG fans that like to feel a real connection to their party.

5. Tales of Graces f ; If you can get past the cliche storyline and the dull as dishwater protagonists, you'll be treated with one of the most rewarding and purely enjoyable action RPG battle systems ever made. Add to that a charming cast of supporting characters, an addicting crafting system and a boat load of extra content, and you've got one of the true hidden gems of recent RPG history.

6. Rhythm Heaven Fever ; Stylish, addicting and unforgettable. Another stellar entry in the Rhythm Heaven series that proves that a simple press of a button and some truly outstanding music can be all you need for an amazing gameplay experience.

7. Persona 4: Golden ; One of the best RPGs, made even better by the addition of more everything.

8. THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave ; Oh look, another RPG! But this one is a throwback to the light and breezy RPGs of yesteryear. A quirky and endearing dungeon crawler that employs some of the most unique use of AR gameplay I've ever come across. The perfect example that the 3DS eShop (and other digital services) can be an amazing venue for genres not typically thought to be compatible with that method of distribution.

9. The Last Story ; Another new IP that shows that JRPGs still have a lot of room for growth and innovation. Not quite the revalation that Xenoblade was, but The Last Story is still an enjoyable and interesting take on the genre.

10. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ; A true love letter to the series. Almost every character present with an abundance of content to employ them in. A must for Tekken fans.

x. Soul Calibur V ; Some interesting new fighters and a deep customization system are let down by an unfortunate lack of single player content and stunning amount of missing characters that the series is usually known for. An fun game that could of been so much more.

x. Crimson Shroud ; A table top RPG in an enjoyable, bite sized form. An mostly successful experiment that shows that new experiences, even when based on classic interpretations, can come from unexpected places. The Guild series should continue just on the merit of this title alone.

x. Dikembe Mutombo's 4½ Weeks To Save The World ; A mix of marketing and entertainment done right, with topical humor and a general air of pure, lighthearted fun. The perfect way to advertize a product, but not taking yourself too seriously, and by realizing that you'll earn far more good will be putting the enjoyment of your intended audience before the impulse to pull a bait-and-switch.

Links to my 2011 and 2010 GOTYs for your reference.

SvYlv.jpg

1. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown; PS3 Sega

A game that I toyed with in the arcades is now my main obsession. "Probably the deepest fighter out there" is what the game media will tell you, but why is that a good thing? What makes this game different? The simplest answer is that VF lets you flow. Because it has a ton of moves, every character has a full toolset they can use to get around the attacks of any other opponent, and you need to use these on-the-fly. VF requires more decisions per second than any other fighter out there. It's intense. Really you haven't played VF until you've mastered the full move-set of your character because every move is there for a reason, and you'll need them all to stay on top.

This VF, perhaps above all others, is also about aggressive offense. Your main objective is to continuously attack. Within that you'll need to make some strategic blocks and throw counters, but with the amount of firepower that any one character can throw at you, a smart offense essentially becomes your best and only defense. In Final Showdown, you can move how you want. You can construct an entire style with your character, think up crazy tricks and totally overwhelm the opponent.

I play in JP, so the competition is incredibly strong. I'll usually spend a full Saturday playing the game and maybe two weekday nights a week, and I'm still stuck at Hunter rank (basically the base rank), with occasional rises to Raider. I watch VF tourney streams at least twice a month. Players are so good here it's unbelievable. In general you'll hear a lot about Daigo Umehara, the Street Fighter franchise etc. but there's a good reason that Fuudo won SSFIV at Evo in 2011. With VF you get tuned to a much higher level than SF. You're constantly thinking, moving, defending and attacking. That ability carries over to other games.

Final Showdown does have its share of problems. If you're a beginner like I was, ultra-harsh wall combos and small arenas will help you hate the game pretty quick. However every character has ways to get out of bad situations, and they can all use wall combos, or small arenas to their advantage. The variable in the equation is only you. Sega took care of all the constants.

Play it, hate it, and learn to love it.

9fBxm.jpg

2. Halo 4; Xbox360 343 Studios

Oh man, wading into the Halo 4 threads and seeing all the bitching everywhere I just can't understand it. A gorgeous campaign with huge fields, drop-in co-op, addictive multiplayer and an engaging story. People this is an amazing game. The graphics and artistic direction are top notch, and the gameplay is tight and fun.

Just like I did two years ago with Halo: Reach, I had three friends doing online co-op with me as I pigged out on pizza and coke. We had some issues with save points where our progress wasn't saved but it didn't even matter because we were having so much fun. The Halo co-op experience alone almost guarantees it a place in my top 10 every year there's a release.

Even though I have not had enough time to spend on it yet, I found the multiplayer to be extremely engrossing. The addition of mechs adds to the already solid vehicle play, and the huge maps give you a lot of freedom in terms of how to attack the enemy.

I will be playing this one into 2013.

fC6kD.png

3. Onitore; 3DS Nintendo

Onitore is one of those rare brain training games that really does what it advertises: its fully-stocked library of mini-games increase your ability to concentrate, remember things, calculate numbers, recognize abstract shapes and more. Every time you log in this friendly "oni" (who is also a Japanese brain science professor) welcomes you back and opens a few more mini-games. After each game he evaluates your progress, being blunt if you weren't concentrating and praising you if you were. Onitore really gets you hooked, and that's a good thing because it helps you think. The game is also enhanced by the Streetpass features which pit your training accomplishments against those of passersbys.

Every time you turn it on there's potential to improve your brainpower, and something new opening up. Onitore actually helps out your life, so I've given it a very high rank this year.

fPbFf.png

4. Dodonpachi Maximum; iOS CAVE

Dodonpachi Maximum is the answer to the obnoxious canard that hardcore shooters can only be played on $2000 arcade cabinets or import consoles. Whereas all of CAVE's previous iOS games were ports in one or another, Dodonpachi Maximum is an original game created by the Akai Katana team. Since it's native to the smartphone/tablet environment, all of its controls are built towards that. It controls like a dream and the "laser bomb" mechanic is brilliant and direct: collect enough stars from enemies you have destroyed and your hyper meter will rise. When it's full, touch anywhere on-screen with two fingers to destroy everything in sight.

You can tell this one had special care with the twin Easy/Normal campaigns, the simple but beautiful anime-ted endings, and the precision balancing that can let almost anyone (with enough practice) beat every level except 5-E, where the true last boss awaits. For that you'll need quite a bit of practice.

The fact that a brilliant game like this went nearly unnoticed this year is a real shame.

ft3Pi.jpg

5. Crashmo; 3DS Intelligent Systems

Totally addicting 3DS puzzler. I had never played Pushmo so I didn't know what to expect but I soon found myself deeply engaged in its 100 charming stages, and became somewhat obsessed for about a month. I also got stuck on one puzzle mid-way through and spent 2 weeks stumped and experimenting. I was truly lost, but I was determined not to look for the answer anywhere. It took three weeks or so for me to break down and read a hint for it. Kind of disappointing that I couldn't solve it on my own, but that's credits to the Crashmo designers for creating mind-melting shit.

Oh and then...my jaw dropped when I beat the game and found out there were 40 more optional ultra-hard puzzles waiting. Add to that the puzzle creation mechanic, experimental 3D block puzzles included as a bonus etc. and this is the best deal on the e-shop IMO.

VE19B.jpg

6. Bravely Default; 3DS Square-Enix

I'm only about 10 hours into this but I am loving Bravely Default so far. It's got to be the first JRPG in years that doesn't talk your ear off, and it has a funny, lovable story. The basic mechanics are roughly similar to FF5, but the addition of the "brave" feature, which lets you "stack" multiple turns into one, is a smart adaptation of the genre to a mobile format. It lets you make decisions up front and watch the results play out. Yet it also has strategic elements to it that justify its inclusion on the gameplay side as well.

Bravely Default is also very well balanced. In new areas you will briefly feel under-powered, but that changes quickly as you level up. You will need to think for boss battles, holding down the A button does not get you through. That's a good thing, there were too many pushover games on the 3DS this year.

iGaIcl.jpg

7. Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition 2012; Xbox360 Capcom

Arcade Edition 2012 smoothed over the balance issues of the original release (where Yun and Yang were ridiculously over-powered), and gave us one of the best-balanced fighters probably since Alpha 2. Most characters can compete. While some are as powerful as always, like Fei-long, I have seen people use other characters like Oni and Evil Ryu to deadly effect. Anybody can be a killer, and that's why the game is fun to play and tournaments are fun to watch.

Here's to Capcom for taking a step back to fix what should have always been a great game, and giving us a tournament standard that could last at least another two years.

W8JML.jpg

8. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f; PS Vita Sega

Not typically my type of game, I borrowed this and cleared it. Had a great time with it. All the tracks are really catchy, and the game just shines on the Vita. Popping graphics, beautiful illustrations, mountains of stuff to unlock (songs, costumes, accessories, room items etc etc), and challenging difficulty gives you a lot to chew on. Miku miku ni shite agerareta (I was Miku'ed brah). Once PS02 comes to the Vita next year I will be picking this up again as it was nearly a system seller for me.

SnaWv.jpg

9. EX Troopers; 3DS Capcom

EX Troopers is a solid 3DS action game with popping anime visuals and smart design. The gameplay is frantic, high-paced and reminds one of Vanquish. Since it's aimed at a younger crowd, and since it's on the 3DS which doesn't have a second analogue stick by default, the action gameplay is necessarily simple, however it was still engaging up until the end. I had a lot of fun with it. Ultra-hard missions are of course included and probably require multiplayer sessions to get through.

The game also has a ton of post-game content, including new character-related missions and timed DLC missions (releasing every week).

7pXW9l.jpg

10. Phantasy Star Online 2; Sega

I do not play MMORPGs at all, but this game's release coincided with me getting a new PC and I had a lot of fun with it for about two months. Hack and slash action and a vibrant online community. There's also a lot of new areas, missions, abilities, and other expansions constantly being developed for the game.

Will probably be getting back into this when the Vita version comes out.

Honorable mentions:

*Dodonpachi Saidaioujou; Arcade CAVE
It bums me out that I can't put this on my top 10. Because it's a return to form by CAVE in every way. Harsh, futuristic shooter mayhem. Dodge or die. Those are the principles that it's built on, and the whole game is balanced extremely well. You can trigger your hyper to crank out damage on enemies, but the more you do the more your "rank" increases, making the game gets harder to survive. All the bosses are challenging and fun, and it is rued by the shooter community as CAVE's hardest shooter in years.

There's only one problem with the game: a scoring glitch that allows the very best players to get scores maybe 50 times higher than other players. Since this was a PCB release, it was not patched. Had it been on NESSiCA, it probably would have been, but as a result we got stuck with a game that should've been a classic but isn't.

Really though most of my gaming efforts this year were put towards achieving my Type A score for Dodonpachi Resurrection, a game released in 2008. DDPR is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm sure I'll wind up playing it more in 2013.

People are saying 2012 was a bad year for gaming, maybe so. Overall it was definitely a bad year for shooters. CAVE had a very low output this year compared to 2009-2011. Grev released 2 games, both of which were unfortunately flawed (Under Defeat HD's broken achievements, broken 360 scoreboard and Kokuga's absence of gameplay). Both Gingaforce and Dodonpachi Saidaiojou 360 wound up getting pushed into 2013, and Crimzon Clover failed to show up in the arcades. A rather obscure highlight for me was Grev's Senko no Ronde novel (documented here http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38421255&postcount=175), which had previously been serialized in Arcadia.

So for 2012 shooter releases, I enjoyed a smartphone game and a novel more than the actual games released. Thankfully we still have all the genius games put out in 2008-2011 to tide us over, but let's hope next year is better.

WhyMe6

I'm still working on my list as I've barely played anything this year - I've still got games like Mass Effect 3, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Sleeping Dogs, Dragon's Dogma, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Dikembe Mutombo, Fez, Dragonborn, Far Cry 3 and Dishonored unplayed. I'll start by posting and editing it as I go. Before that, though, I must say how damn pleased I am to see Frog Fractions on other's lists - it's such a hilariously unforgettable game.

1. New Style Boutique [aka Style Savvy Trendsetters in the USA] ; Hugely improved from its predecessor, both in terms of gameplay and graphics, NSB hits all the right notes in terms of freedom, progression and storytelling. It also has, arguably, the best 3D in a game yet, with the characters and gorgeous clothes bursting to life from the screen like dolls from a playhouse. The online and streetpass add rich social elements to the title (though I wish more people in Australia owned the game!) and the always-on photography ensures you'll never forget an outfit. I went in expecting an effortless incremental upgrade, but instead I got the ultimate fashion game.

2. Persona 4 Golden ; I almost feel like I'm cheating by including this here, because this game was essentially released years ago. It's the same amazing game as it's ever been, and while it is the best game I've played all year it's a bit unfair to put a remake+ up top, so I'm putting it down to #2.

3. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; A truly wonderful, wonderful game - the 3DS really is the go-to console for those top-quality, timeless Nintendo classics. Excellent writing and pacing, precise controls, and a thrilling, unpredictable storyline (that actually gets better as you go through the game - a rarity these days, it seems) make this one of 2012's finest.

4. Catherine ; PAL release for this was this year and it was definitely worth the wait. Another quality Atlus production, with wonderful presentation, writing and direction, awesome characters and addictive gameplay.

5. Pokemon: Black 2/White 2 ; A surprisingly expanded sequel to the first game, complete with that trademark addictive Pokémon gameplay. If this is the route Nintendo's taking with their future "third games" in each generation, sign me up.

6. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy ; Rhythm game + Final Fantasy = Success. I loved it, bought all the DLC for it, craved more.

7. Hotline Miami ; With its pumping soundtrack, beautiful art, addictive gameplay, clever level design and extraordinarily satisfying combat, Hotline Miami was a real surprise that came out of absolutely nowhere.

8. Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (EU release of Rhythm Heaven Wii) ; A fine return to form for a franchise lost on the DS - buttons ahoy! Multiplayer was also enormous fun. A shame some of the music and rhythm microgame quality wasn't up to that immensely high standard set by the first game on GBA.

9. Forza Horizon ; First driving game I've purchased since Burnout Paradise, Horizon successfully melds open world driving (to an extent!) with superb customisation options allowing as much or as little of the simulation-style racing as you like.

10. Picross e ; It was over far too quickly, but Picross is Picross, and I loved it to pieces.

x. Max Payne 3 ; Solid shooting, a decent story and a wonderful atmosphere, Max Payne 3 was marred by its at-times frustrating difficulty spikes and a few control glitches.
x. Tokyo Jungle
x. Gravity Daze
x. Frog Fractions

2011. Yakuza 4 ; Though I'm still working through this, I'm really pleased with the flow of the game and its wonderful characters. The atmosphere is also, as usual, absolutely amazing. However, I really, really miss Okinawa :( and the fetch quests seem to stand out *a lot* more in the now four-times recycled Kamurocho.

I'll fill in the rest as I make firmer decisions. Overall, a really unremarkable year for games. One only needs to look at 2011's GAF GOTY choices to see how this year pales in comparison. Oh, and Journey was absolutely average, boring and a total disappointment, especially considering how lovely Flower was. To the disappointment thread! Mark of the Ninja I'm not liking either. How fussy can a guy get.

olimpia84

1. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Not only one of the best RPGs of this generation but imo, one of the best ever made. An amazing combination of great character development, intriguing storyline, addicting battle system, graphics that push the Wii to its limit, and great art direction. And to top everything off it has one of the best soundtracks ever made.

2. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; A surprisingly good story with great voice acting and perfectly paced chapters for a handheld game. Also an incredibly well done weapon crafting system that becomes addictive really quick. Online is hectic, but fun, and reminded of SSB.

3. Gravity Rush ; The best crafted game for the Vita this year. Beautiful visuals and interesting gravity mechanics to control Kat which is one of the most lovable characters created this gen. The soundtrack is great and the story will keep you hooked to see what happens next (although a bit confusing).

4. Uncharted: Golden Abyss ; I know this is an unpopular opinion but I think this is the best game in the Uncharted series so far. This game excelled at avoiding the repetitive combat system of previous entries and emphasized a bit more on exploration and adventure elements. This is also by far the best looking PS Vita game.

5. Zombi U; This is not the best survival horror game out there (REmake remains king imo) but it's the most effective one in the sense that it nails the genre right in the head. No other game has kept me in the edge of my seat like this one; knowing that you could potentially lose a lot of progress makes the game obviously much more challenging but it also adds to the atmosphere.

6. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed ; Mario Kart, meet your first serious contender to the karting game throne.

7. Resident Evil: Revelations ; Best looking 3DS game, online raid mode adds a lot of replay value, story is broken well enough to make this a very enjoyable portable game.

8. The Last Story ; interesting battle system but perhaps the strongest points in this game are its characters and story. Great game to say farewell to the Wii.

9. Journey ; An emotional and relaxing adventure.

10. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational ; addicting launch Vita game with tons of unlockables. By far the best game in the Hot Shots series.

x. Code of Princess ; really fun 3DS beat em up with light RPG elements that offers tons of replay value.
x. Nano Assault Neo ; great twin stick shooter with good graphics and soundtrack.
x. Trine 2 ; got this very recently but I was surprised at how fun the game is and how colorful and good it looks.

2011. Rayman Origins ; I'm talking about the PS3 version which I got this year for cheap. This is one of the best platformers ever made with gorgeous visuals and great soundtrack.

1. borderlands 2
2. diablo 3
3. persona 4 golden
4. fallen enchantress
5. warriors orochi 3

don't really care about the rest

bonus! 3 garbage games for garbage people: the walking dead, kid icarus uprising, journey

Vert boil

1. Fez ; After years of waiting, not only did it equal what I expected from it but the hidden depth and the community spirit around the launch made it an amazing experience.
2. Torchlight 2 ;
3. Journey ;
4. Asura's Wrath ;
5. Kindoms of Amalur: Reckoning ;
6. Binary Domain ;

2011. Dragon Age 2 ; It's rare that a game's story and characters matter more to me than the gameplay and apart from Nier, this was the only retail game that did that this year.

Played enough to fill out the list but none are really worthy of a place on my list. All of the big games were disappointing (Borderland 2, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3).

1. Max Payne 3 ; What a great surprise, I expected to dislike the game but ended up loving it enough to put it at the top of my list.
2. Darksiders II
3. Sleeping Dogs
4. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
5. Dishonored
6. Far Cry 3
7. Spec Ops: The Line
8. The Walking Dead
9. Assassins Creed 3
10. Journey
x. Diablo 3 ; The launch was a mess, but it has improved quite a bit. Not a bad game, but I was slightly disappointed. Otherwise would have been in my top 10.
x. Mass Effect 3 ; The ending really burned my love for the franchise, and hearing that the paid DLC makes it a softer blow has left me disgusted. Otherwise would have been in my top 10.
x. Hitman Absolution ; Quite enjoyable, but I am still unsure how I feel about some of the decisions they made.

Pinguin

Neo Member
1. Super Hexagon
2. The Walking Dead
3. Journey
4. Far Cry 3
5. Hotline Miami
6. Halo 4
7. Sleeping Dogs
8. Forza Horizon
9. XCOM
10. Spelunky

Moofers

1) Journey ; An incredible presentation alongside a very unique experience. I didn't play anything else like it this year (or gen, I think) and I got more out of my 2 1/2 hours than I sometimes get in 60 hours from other games.

2) Twisted Metal ; Like somebody else in here said, it is uncompromising as all hell. They didn't water it down at all and it is a better game for it. That said, the amazing soundtrack, frantic action, and pure mayhem and lunacy taking place on my screen at any given moment make this one of my favorites of the year. I mean you drag a fucking chainsaw on the pavement behind you while popping a wheelie on your motorcycle before throwing it into oncoming traffic. Need I say more?

3) Mass Effect 3 ; Had they stuck the landing, this would be my #1 pick. As it stands, the whole ending thing was a hell of a debacle and surely a smudge on this great series' legacy, but it doesn't change the fact that I really enjoyed the hours leading up to the end.

4) Dishonored ; A brilliant game with a refreshing offering of stealth/action and a dash of choices. Half the fun in this game was experimenting with situations and getting amusing results. It took a lot of flack for having a weak story, but I actually liked what was there and didn't think it needed to be any deeper or more fleshed out. I liked Corvo a lot and I came to be of that opinion purely through his relationships with others and his deeds. I think that's a cool way to express a character to the player.

5) Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ; This is the best Tekken that has ever been made, and the best fighting game of the year. Great gameplay modes, lots of multiplayer options, customizable outfits, custom soundtracks, tons and tons of stages, over 50+ characters, I mean it simply does not get any better than this. Period. Welcome to the King of Iron Fist Tournament!

6) Wipeout 2048 ; The best game on the Vita this year. Sorely under-rated, it is also the best fucking Wipeout game ever made. No small accomplishment. Seeing it in action is to be immediately sold on the Vita's capabilities. Tons of single player campaign content, a free expansion if you bought HD on the PS3, and great online offerings. What more do people want? This game deserves 9's and 10's, nothing less.

7) PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale ; A deceptively deep fighting system, great cast, great stages, and it exceeds greatly at bringing across each character's presence. This is something they strived for in DOA5 this year, but nobody, not even Tekken Tag 2, have done so much for making the cast feel unique, special, and relate-able. They perfectly captured the essence of each character and nothing could be more important in a game like this.

8) Dragon's Dogma ; The best RPG to hit this year with a great combat system and a great sense of atmosphere in every location. The Pawn system was also a fresh idea that made this stand out and feel like a new experience in familiar territory. Plus, dat main menu music!

9) Halo 4 ; The best version of Halo multiplayer yet is what brings this one to the list. Say what you want about story and the new alien race, the multiplayer can't be denied. Still sucks that Firefight is gone, but Spartan Ops is just enough to keep us satisfied during its (hopefully) temporary absence from the series.

10) The Walking Dead ; While I think the praise for this game is out of control, it did manage to create two of my favorite characters this year in the form of Lee and Clementine. Their relationship and Lee's duties as her guardian managed to make this one of the most memorable stories this generation for me.

2011 ; Gears of War 3. -Horde mode remains the thing that I consistently return for and will continue to return for until they do it better in a future version.

Tagg9

1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward; It lacks the brilliant simplicity of 999, but the deeper plot, voice acting, and enhanced puzzle rooms all make this one of the greatest handheld games of all time. The voice acting alone is some of the best I've encountered in any media.

2. Mass Effect 3; Everything from Mass Effect 2 has been improved (with the noticeable exception of the conclusion), and the whole game has a nice layer of polish to it.

3. Journey; A special kind of game that clearly wins for pure innovation. Whenever I want to relax, Journey is the perfect drug thanks to its heart-warming music and "blink twice" visuals.

4. New Super Mario Bros U; Nintendo has done it again! Miiverse features and all of the challenge modes add a lot of replayability to the game.

5. Assassin's Creed 3; Ubisoft added a great blend of the new and the old, keeping the best assassin mechanics and mixing it with new types of missions (yay, ships!). It can sometimes be a little too ambitious for its own good, but this is easily forgiveable for such a large game.

6. Nintendo Land; For family games, you can't get much better than this. Nintendo clearly put a big effort into making this the must have launch title to demonstrate the system's capabilities. Probably the most fun I've had in a group setting this year.

7. Halo 4; Not a big fan of Halo multiplayer, but it's worth a listing simply because of the epic campaign mode. The Metroid Prime inspiration is easy to see and adds a lot to it.

8. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale; Superbot's first effort is an admirable one, with plenty of memorable PS characters and a great battle system. I think they could have done more with a larger budget, but the game certainly met my expectations.

9. The Walking Dead; Far and away Telltale's best game, it tells one of this year's most compelling video game stories and offers just enough choice to give the player the illusion that they're in control.

10. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask; I didn't particularly enjoy prior Professor Layton entries, but I think they must have gone into overdrive mode when making this game. The puzzles are better, the visuals are 100x better in 3D (and higher res), and the story actually makes sense.

Addnan

1. Dishonored - One of the few games I truly enjoyed this year, loved the steampunk look to it. Also the stealth wasn't half bad.

2. Guild Wars 2
3. The Walking Dead
4. Max Payne 3
5. Trials Evolution
6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
7. Borderlands 2
8. Torchlight 2
9. Sleeping Dogs
10. Diablo 3 -

MormaPope

Banned
1. The Walking Dead; Not many games have that hook that fantastic TV dramas have, where you plan ahead and get ready for an hour of cheering, crying, frustration, and sometimes agony. The Walking Dead did this in spades. One of the most smart and emotional games ever created, it achieved more with it's intelligent writing and characters compared to any gameplay mechanic or aspect in other games, for a game to do that, it's nothing but outstanding.

2. Max Payne 3; Being a longtime Max Payne fan, my anticipation and excitement reached a fever pitch before Max Payne 3's release. When I finally played it, it was one of the most engaging shooters this generation. The feedback and inertia during a firefight was intoxicating, while some people were bothered with the amount of cutscenes and transitions, the fact that they covered up almost all loading screens made the game feel smooth and lucid. The direction Rockstar went with Max's character and the performance given by James Mccaffrey is stellar.

3. Xcom: Enemy Unknown; Incredibly addictive and rewarding, it's very easy to lose hours of sleep trying to complete one more mission. The console port being very easy to play makes this a very accessible strategy game for anyone.

4. The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition; Very stable and beautiful console port, a very realistic and dark fantasy tale that lingers in your mind long after finishing the story. The fact that there are two completely different playthroughs combined with choices that can actually change the world around you makes the time spent in this game world even richer.

5. Mass Effect 3; Even with a sloppy and convoluted ending, Mass Effect 3 had a lot of highs and some lows. The gameplay itself was extremely fun and satisfying, as was the interaction you had with older Mass Effect characters.

6. Borderlands 2

7. Halo 4

8. Forza Horizon

9. Far Cry 3

10. FTL

Denzar

1. Max Payne 3 ; Most visceral action game I've played in a really long time. Hits real hard. And that soundtrack.
2. The Walking Dead ; I cried.
3. Hotline Miami ; I cried. This game is brutal.
4. Mass Effect 3; Bad ending yadda yadda. Loved this game to death anyway.
5. Spec Ops: The Line; Finished this recently. Looks great, plays great, messes with you and has one amazing soundtrack. Powerful stuff.
6. Borderlands 2 ; Like crack.
7. Sleeping Dogs ; Satisfied that open world craving.
8. Lollipop Chainsaw ; Pulp. I love pulp.
9. Twisted Metal ; It's Twisted Metal. I grew up playing those games. Took me back.
10. Hitman Absolution ; Have not finished this yet, but I am really enjoying it!

x. Journey ; Memorable, but wasn't as powerful for me as it seemed to be for others.
x. Assassins Creed III ; Love hate relationship with this game, everything about this game is amazing except playing it.

I have not played Dishonored, XCom or Far Cry 3 yet, but I'm sure they would have made the list if I had more time and less of a job.

Beaulieu

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; Awesome strategy game that I beat thrice and won't stop playing for a long time, the game is really well made
2. Hotline Miami ; Low budget game with minimalist graphics that makes you feel like a total badass, crazy good soundtrack and stylish as fuck
3. Rayman Origins ; This game made me feel like I was a kid again, the graphics are top notch, 60 fps, it's just beautiful.
4. Spelunky ; Frustrating and crazy good rogue-like game, I just freaking love it and keep going back to it even if I know I'll never beat it.
5. Far Cry 3 ; So much better than the last one in every possible way, this game really nailed the exploration gameplay and offers a very cool narative.
6. Fez ; I was waiting for this for a long time and really enjoyed the "hardcore puzzle" aspect that was now shown before release. Lots of effort went into that game and it really shows.
7. Max Payne 3 ; Lots of style, best gunplay in years, and I couldnt disagree more with people saying it doesnt feel like a Max Payne game
8. Borderlands 2 ; This game is huuuuge and lot's of fun, I still need to play the expensions but I need to synch with my bland friend and it's hard to get together. This improves on blands 1 a lot.
9. Halo 4 ; Best halo since Halo 2 for me. The MP is kickass and the graphics are on another level. I didnt really trust 343 industries with the IP but boy was I wrong to doubt ! The only negative for me is that playing 4 players split screen gives a 10 fps experience which totally sucks.

2011. Dark Souls ; Oh my god did I love this game. Other developers should try and learn from this game, it's following none of the "modern" game design rules but it's a beast ! Can't wait for the next one.

DaBuddaDa

1. Tribes: Ascend ; A solid f2p model, good graphics, a fantastic community and nails the Tribes feel. A great accomplishment and the most fun game I've played all year.
2. The Walking Dead ; Certainly the best written game I've ever played.
3. Mass Effect 3 ;
4. Dishonored ;
5. Guild Wars 2 ; Unbelievable amount of content without a monthly fee.
6. Diablo III ; Patched to perfection.
7. Twisted Metal ; Spent a surprising amount of time with this one. I dunno, it's just a lot of fun.
8. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ; Sad that BHG is gone, but you can feel the love and passion they were putting into this one. I liked it more than many.
9. Mark of the Ninja ; The animation and feeling of movement was satisfying enough. Sets the standard for 2D stealth.
10. Legend of Grimrock ; Ballsy to make a game like this nowadays. They pulled it off remarkably well.

savor100

1. Xenoblade Chronicles ; best JRPG of this generation and one of the best soundtracks of the year.
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; great multiplayer mode with nice 3d effects.
3. Max Payne 3; action packed, best in the series and awesome sountrack as well.
4. Sleeping Dogs ; better than GTAIV? Yes.
5. Dishonored
6. New Super Mario Bros U
7. Paper Mario Sticker Star
8. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
9. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
10. Twisted Metal

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
1. Halo 4 - Awesome shooting fun
1. Super Hexagon
2. The Walking Dead
3. Journey
4. Far Cry 3
5. Hotline Miami
6. Halo 4
7. Sleeping Dogs
8. Forza Horizon
9. XCOM
10. Spelunky
1) Journey - An incredible presentation alongside a very unique experience. I didn't play anything else like it this year (or gen, I think) and I got more out of my 2 1/2 hours than I sometimes get in 60 hours from other games.

2) Twisted Metal - Like somebody else in here said, it is uncompromising as all hell. They didn't water it down at all and it is a better game for it. That said, the amazing soundtrack, frantic action, and pure mayhem and lunacy taking place on my screen at any given moment make this one of my favorites of the year. I mean you drag a fucking chainsaw on the pavement behind you while popping a wheelie on your motorcycle before throwing it into oncoming traffic. Need I say more?

3) Mass Effect 3 - Had they stuck the landing, this would be my #1 pick. As it stands, the whole ending thing was a hell of a debacle and surely a smudge on this great series' legacy, but it doesn't change the fact that I really enjoyed the hours leading up to the end.

4) Dishonored - A brilliant game with a refreshing offering of stealth/action and a dash of choices. Half the fun in this game was experimenting with situations and getting amusing results. It took a lot of flack for having a weak story, but I actually liked what was there and didn't think it needed to be any deeper or more fleshed out. I liked Corvo a lot and I came to be of that opinion purely through his relationships with others and his deeds. I think that's a cool way to express a character to the player.

5) Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - This is the best Tekken that has ever been made, and the best fighting game of the year. Great gameplay modes, lots of multiplayer options, customizable outfits, custom soundtracks, tons and tons of stages, over 50+ characters, I mean it simply does not get any better than this. Period. Welcome to the King of Iron Fist Tournament!

6) Wipeout 2048 - The best game on the Vita this year. Sorely under-rated, it is also the best fucking Wipeout game ever made. No small accomplishment. Seeing it in action is to be immediately sold on the Vita's capabilities. Tons of single player campaign content, a free expansion if you bought HD on the PS3, and great online offerings. What more do people want? This game deserves 9's and 10's, nothing less.

7) PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale - A deceptively deep fighting system, great cast, great stages, and it exceeds greatly at bringing across each character's presence. This is something they strived for in DOA5 this year, but nobody, not even Tekken Tag 2, have done so much for making the cast feel unique, special, and relate-able. They perfectly captured the essence of each character and nothing could be more important in a game like this.

8) Dragon's Dogma - The best RPG to hit this year with a great combat system and a great sense of atmosphere in every location. The Pawn system was also a fresh idea that made this stand out and feel like a new experience in familiar territory. Plus, dat main menu music!

9) Halo 4 - The best version of Halo multiplayer yet is what brings this one to the list. Say what you want about story and the new alien race, the multiplayer can't be denied. Still sucks that Firefight is gone, but Spartan Ops is just enough to keep us satisfied during its (hopefully) temporary absence from the series.

10) The Walking Dead - While I think the praise for this game is out of control, it did manage to create two of my favorite characters this year in the form of Lee and Clementine. Their relationship and Lee's duties as her guardian managed to make this one of the most memorable stories this generation for me.

2011 Gears of War 3. -Horde mode remains the thing that I consistently return for and will continue to return for until they do it better in a future version.
1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
It lacks the brilliant simplicity of 999, but the deeper plot, voice acting, and enhanced puzzle rooms all make this one of the greatest handheld games of all time. The voice acting alone is some of the best I've encountered in any media.

2. Mass Effect 3
Everything from Mass Effect 2 has been improved (with the noticeable exception of the conclusion), and the whole game has a nice layer of polish to it.

3. Journey
A special kind of game that clearly wins for pure innovation. Whenever I want to relax, Journey is the perfect drug thanks to its heart-warming music and "blink twice" visuals.

4. New Super Mario Bros U
Nintendo has done it again! Miiverse features and all of the challenge modes add a lot of replayability to the game.

5. Assassin's Creed 3
Ubisoft added a great blend of the new and the old, keeping the best assassin mechanics and mixing it with new types of missions (yay, ships!). It can sometimes be a little too ambitious for its own good, but this is easily forgiveable for such a large game.

6. Nintendo Land
For family games, you can't get much better than this. Nintendo clearly put a big effort into making this the must have launch title to demonstrate the system's capabilities. Probably the most fun I've had in a group setting this year.

7. Halo 4
Not a big fan of Halo multiplayer, but it's worth a listing simply because of the epic campaign mode. The Metroid Prime inspiration is easy to see and adds a lot to it.

8. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Superbot's first effort is an admirable one, with plenty of memorable PS characters and a great battle system. I think they could have done more with a larger budget, but the game certainly met my expectations.

9. The Walking Dead
Far and away Telltale's best game, it tells one of this year's most compelling video game stories and offers just enough choice to give the player the illusion that they're in control.

10. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
I didn't particularly enjoy prior Professor Layton entries, but I think they must have gone into overdrive mode when making this game. The puzzles are better, the visuals are 100x better in 3D (and higher res), and the story actually makes sense.
1. Dishonored - One of the few games I truly enjoyed this year, loved the steampunk look to it. Also the stealth wasn't half bad.

2. Guild Wars 2
3. The Walking Dead
4. Max Payne 3
5. Trials Evolution
6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
7. Borderlands 2
8. Torchlight 2
9. Sleeping Dogs
10. Diablo 3 -
1. The Walking Dead

Not many games have that hook that fantastic TV dramas have, where you plan ahead and get ready for an hour of cheering, crying, frustration, and sometimes agony. The Walking Dead did this in spades.

One of the most smart and emotional games ever created, it achieved more with it's intelligent writing and characters compared to any gameplay mechanic or aspect in other games, for a game to do that, it's nothing but outstanding.

2.Max Payne 3

Being a longtime Max Payne fan, my anticipation and excitement reached a fever pitch before Max Payne 3's release. When I finally played it, it was one of the most engaging shooters this generation. The feedback and inertia during a firefight was intoxicating, while some people were bothered with the amount of cutscenes and transitions, the fact that they covered up almost all loading screens made the game feel smooth and lucid.

The direction Rockstar went with Max's character and the performance given by James Mccaffrey is stellar.

3. Xcom: Enemy Unknown

Incredibly addictive and rewarding, it's very easy to lose hours of sleep trying to complete one more mission. The console port being very easy to play makes this a very accessible strategy game for anyone.

4. The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition

Very stable and beautiful console port, a very realistic and dark fantasy tale that lingers in your mind long after finishing the story. The fact that there are two completely different playthroughs combined with choices that can actually change the world around you makes the time spent in this game world even richer.

5. Mass Effect 3

Even with a sloppy and convoluted ending, Mass Effect 3 had a lot of highs and some lows. The gameplay itself was extremely fun and satisfying, as was the interaction you had with older Mass Effect characters.

6. Borderlands 2

7. Halo 4

8. Forza Horizon

9. Far Cry 3

10. FTL
Read OP.

Read OP.

Read OP.

Read OP.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've read the OP a couple times before posting, instead of telling me to do the same thing again, please tell me which rule I violated.

Sample Ballot
Please follow this format as closely as possible. This lets us avoid significant problems with the parser.

1. Game A ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Game B ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Game E ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.
x. Game K ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game K.
x. Game L ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game L.

You're supposed to keep your impressions on the same line as the title of the game, not underneath them like your list is. Also, there should be a semicolon between the title and the impressions.

1. Pokemon Black and White 2 ; I have been playing this game off and on sense it came out. It's occupied my DSiXL and 3DS for months. The blend of Pokemon, the different activities, and the nonstandard gym battles are exactly what I was looking for in a new Pokemon game. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, it just adds rubber.

2. Journey ; Few games give me a smile like this one did. Before the game even ended I had an ear to ear grin. The multiplayer and scarf added so much to the game. One day I'll return to the world and take my journey again.

3. The Walking Dead ; I cried. Only a few tears and I knew it was still coming, but it still moved me. Still, a sad emotion is the low hanging fruit of writing. Anger is just below it but not much else, so this only gets third place.

4. Xcom ; I would have been happy with a grid. What this game did was so much more. If I had time to really delve into it, then it might rank higher, but the tension was too damn much.

5. Xenoblade Chronicles ; It's good, but in a year with out that many stand out games that I played, a two year old game makes the list.

Top Bottom