• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2012 - Voting Thread, now closed. Thanks for all the fish.

szaromir

Banned
1. Crusader Kings 2
2. Halo 4
3. Trials Evolution
4. FEZ
5. Mark of the Ninja
6. Resonance
7. The Walking Dead

That's all 2012 games I've played so far.

edit: didn't know about the explanations stuff; will edit later

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I've read the OP a couple times before posting, instead of telling me to do the same thing again, please tell me which rule I violated.
You're supposed to keep your impressions on the same line as the title of the game, not underneath them like your list is. Also, there should be a semicolon between the title and the impressions.
reading_fun.gif

1. Journey ; Probably my favourite game ever, loved every moment of its 90 minute to 2 hour length, I don't think a game has ever made me smile as much as the last level of Journey
2. The Walking Dead ; I was never a big fan of adventure games but the Walking Dead is just amazing, the writing is great and it's hard not to love the characters, can't wait for season 2
3. Mass Effect 3 ; The ending is awful but I can't deny I loved the other 30 hours of it
4. XCom Enemy Unknown ; Buggy as hell but so much fun to play, the core gameplay is just great while definitely simplified from the original it still manages to keep what made it great
5. Sleeping Dogs ; Where the hell did this game come from? I don't think anyone expected thi to be as good as it was, best open world game of the generation
6. FTL: Faster Than Light ; The first big kickstarter game released and the first great one, hope one day the devs expand it more but even now it's a great roguelike experience
7. Dishonored ; Dishonored isn't perfect, some parts of it didn't work but when it did it was truly great, funnily enough my favourite moment of the game from a case of buggy AI
8. Gravity Rush ; The game I bought a Vita for and I was not disappointed, tonnes of room for improvement but Kat is a great character and I haven't had this much fun traversing a city since Spiderman 2
9. Spec Ops: The Line ; Another massive surprise, the story is just great, they really managed to make a great Heart of Darkness adaptation, gameplay isn't great though intentional or not it stops the game from getting higher on my list
10. Binary Domain ; Japan does Gears and does it well, shooting robots feels great and most of the characters are really entertaining, Cain especially

2011. To The Moon ; Such a great story, nothing more I can say everyone should just play it

Still an early list, still playing through Dishonored and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and Dishonored will definitely rank unless it gets awful

EDIT: Dishonored added at 7th

MormaPope

Banned

Snide comments don't really help anyone. This being my first time posting in a Gaf GOTY thread I didn't know the format of a post had to strictly follow what was in the OP. Another poster clarified that point and then I fixed my post.

Telling people to read the OP instead of pointing out their mistakes is sorta counter intuitive if they don't know what they did wrong or don't know if what they're doing is wrong.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Telling people to read the OP instead of pointing out their mistakes is sorta counter intuitive if they don't know what they did wrong or don't know if what they're doing is wrong.
Read the OP means find the discrepancy between your post and the instructions in the OP. Saves me from having to correct each post.

You clearly didn't read it close enough as what Seraphis Cain said was there:
You're supposed to keep your impressions on the same line as the title of the game, not underneath them like your list is. Also, there should be a semicolon between the title and the impressions.
timetokill said:
[*]List up to 10 games, in order from 1 to 10. Follow the format below (you don’t have to be absolutely perfect, but you do need to follow the general rules: you must number your entries, must have comments follow your game nomination on the same line, etc.)

[*]Add your thoughts! Put a semicolon (;) after each game and write what you thought. Choice thoughts will be used in the results thread. Your thoughts make this thread a lot more interesting for everyone else, so please do this. NOTE: A COMMENT IS REQUIRED FOR AT LEAST ONE TITLE ON YOUR BALLOT OR IT WILL NOT BE COUNTED!

100MS

Neo Member
1. Journey
2. Dragon's Dogma ; Best new IP, I wish JRPG developers take notes.
3. Resident Evil 6
4. Max Payne 3
5. The Walking Dead
6. Assassin's Creed 3
7. Far Cry 3
8. Need for Speed: Most Wanted ; The closest thing to Burnout Paradise sequel, for now at least.
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
10. Tokyo Jungle

2011. Ace Combat: Assault Horizon ; Great game and amazing OST.

sohois

1. Cartlife ; I'm not entirely sure whether this game should be eligible as I have not been able to find when it actually released. The only information I have been able to find is threads for Cartlife v1.4 & 1.5 which are dated 2012. In any case, Cartlife is at heart an economic simulator as you attempt to manage your 'cart' to retail success. But more than that it is closer to a 'real life' simulator. You are managing the life of your character, whether in the form of east european immigrant Andus, single mother Michelle or Vinny. Few games have ever quite encapsulated the real pressures of life as well as Cartlife. Starting up the game I was concerned only with the basics of running the cart and simple profit calculations, but it takes only a day for the real game to hit you. Basics like telling the time cannot be done without a watch, you have no idea of where things are in this new town, how to buy lunch, how to get food at all. Complicated notions of business are banished for the basics. I began to look forward to the lunch break, shutting my cart and perhaps taking a ride downtown to speak with Vinny; or the small talk with my landlord's wife when she would collect the paper. It's a game which sums up better than anything else the simple pleasures and the very real challenges of just living a life.

2. Hotline Miami ; The insane, drug- fueled, ultraviolent murder simulator takes 2nd. The game has loftier ambitions than being purely an action game, attempting to ask questions about the violence you are commiting, violence in video games and the reality of the story itself. It doesn't quite succeed, but its done well enough to string the levels together and provide some thought-provoking moments. Of course, even without that thread this would still be a fine game, doing the action so well whilst providing an outstanding OST to play along to. A simple top down game with basically 2 button combat offers great depth and intelligence in its action, with a wide variety of different level layouts, different weapons, different masks and interesting AI. The controls are near perfect, the game brutally difficult but never frustrating thanks to its instant restart system. All in all, a thoroughly entertaining action game with a great atmosphere and storyline to add the icing on the cake.

3. Binary Domain ; The Yakuza games are some of my favourite, so its no surprise that I was enthralled by Nagoshi's 3rd person, futuristic, robot shooter. A good example, perhaps, of the differences between Japanese and Western shooters. Binary Domain emphasis storyline and characters, with a variety of original gameplay ideas but sometimes at the expense of 'polish'. The controls were generally pretty poor, a number of the ideas didn't really work (like the voice commands) and the PC port I played was a bit of a mess, but compared to a by-the-numbers Western game that has more polish I'll take a Binary Domain every time. The characters were generally outstanding, the interactions and story choices a nice addition and the story itself showed some interesting ideas and overall theme, though like Hotline Miami it didn't execute them perfectly. As for the game itself, once used to the controls there was a great 'shoot parts of the robot' mechanic and excellent bosses, easily the best of any shooter I have played. A game I would heartily recommend to any fans of original ideas and good stories. A good comparison would be Nier, which also emphasized originality and storytelling at the expense of the polish of say God of War.

3. Spec Ops: The Line ;

4. Mark of the Ninja ;

5. Orcs Must Die 2 ;

6. Sleeping Dogs ; The final game on my list, in many ways makes it to 4th position because these are the only new games I have played this year, but Sleeping Dogs is still a fine game. It is perhaps a nice example of what I referred to above, the by-the-numbers Western game which emphasis polish over originality. There are a few good additions to the open world game genre, but generally this is a title that I would best describe as competent. The combat is good, driving fine, mission design pretty interesting and storyline decent, but nothing really exceptional or original. Certainly I would say it is better than the hugely disappointing GTA4 or the derivative, stupid Saints Row series, but not much more.

7. Thirty Flights of Loving ;

t26

1. Zero Escape; can't believe how much of an improvement from 999
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising; funniest game I played all year
3. Sleeping Dog; really didn't expect much but i was really impressed
4. Lollipop Chainsaw;
5. Asura's Wrath;
7. Gravity Rush;
8. Tales of the Abyss; really should count since also played it on ps2
9. Rayman Jump; really fun ios game
10. Xenoblade
x. Pokemon Black White 2;
x. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2;
x. New Super Mario Bros. 2 ;
2011. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked;

crispyben

1. Journey ; I only played through Journey twice, and the second trek didn’t come close to the first experience. I can’t fathom what it must be like to do it 100 times, as some guy tweeted to thatgamecompany, but I’m happy with the memory of that sense of wonder and awe.

2. Sleeping Dogs ;
3. Gravity Rush ;
4. LittleBigPlanet PS Vita ;
5. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack ;
6. Need for Speed Most Wanted ;
7. Max Payne 3 ;
8. Motorstorm RC ;
9. Super Stardust Delta ;
10. New Super Mario Bros. 2 ;

x. Assassin's Creed III ;
x. Ridge Racer Unbounded ;
x. Rayman Jungle Run ;

2011. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron ;

1. Mists of Pandaria ; I never played an MMO before this year and i didn't even play this one "correctly", i don't go on raids or join guilds or anything like that, I mostly just like to turn off the hud and wander around Pandaria taking in the atmosphere. The scope is impressive and i like the feel of the world. Dragons flying way above cast shadows as i'm traversing the landscape, beautiful music drifts in and out, the npcs give simple barks when i walk into their homes or shops, there's very few cutscenes or interruptions. Hidden underneath a lot of MMO weirdness is a really classical game world which i find relaxing to explore. The detail is just crazy.
2. Halo 4
3. Journey
4. Sleeping Dogs

It's been a weak year to be honest.

1. Kid Icarus Uprising; the most fun,fresh and depth gameplay i ever play in a long time..simply the best in 2012
2. Xenoblade Chronicles; best JRPG this generation

Ganondorfo

Wow this thread isnt as popular as years before, what happened? Maybe a very mediocre gaming year compared to 2007-2011.
I will do mine top 10 later, because I still need to finish hitman absolution, xenoblade and mark of the ninja.

1. Uncharted Golden Abyss ; (Vita) strangely, I enjoyed it much more than Uncharted 3. Gyro aiming worked very well for me and made the gameplay very attractive. A gorgeous game on the Vita, I spent a surprising amount of time with. Probably the Uncharted game I played the most. See Naughty Dogs, no need for a tacky multiplayer mode to keep people interested.
2. Hotline Miami ; (PC) violence, fun, challenge and catchy music are here for the best
3. Super Hexagon ; (iOS) gameover, again, gameover, again, gameover, again, gameover again… Wow! And dat chiptune music
4. Far Cry 3 ; (PC) I'm not a great fan of open world games but this island is such a great place. The game is not perfect but its a very well rounded experience. Great job Ubisoft.
5. Max Payne 3 ; (PC) some irritating aspects but, overall, a very good game. And so beautiful…
6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; (PC) the return of the King! A bit bland graphically but still very addictive.
7. Velocity ; (PS Minis) a shoot'em up with a twist. Great gameplay and great music in a small package. Play it god dammit!
8. Need For Speed Most Wanted ; (PS3) a competent successor to one of the best arcade racer this gene: Burnout Paradise (best entry in the Burnout license, don't even try to fix this, you're wrong ;-). Not as good but still enjoyable once you've understood the rubberband AI won't go away, whatever you yell at it.
9. Shoot more zombies ; (iOS) not a great game by all means but I got addicted at some point and spent a lot of time with it so it deserves its place here.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh. Walking Dead is going to win this isn't it, even though its a game with poor writing that only has its writing. Makes me want to bump up Journey from the thirdish spot up to first to help it take out Walking Dead at the top spot, especially since xcom isn't doing as well as I expected so far.

I'm guessing strategic voting isn't really encouraged though.

Wow this thread isnt as popular as years before, what happened? Maybe a very mediocre gaming year compared to 2007-2011.
I will do mine top 10 later, because I still need to finish hitman absolution, xenoblade and mark of the ninja.

Maybe people just don't see it because it falls off the first page so quickly. I only found out the thread was open yesterday

LiK

1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ; If you loved 999, this is a must play. The twists and revelations will melt your brain (again). Awesome!
2. The Walking Dead ; One of the most emotionally gripping games I've ever played. Lots of shocking moments.
3. Sleeping Dogs ; One of the "sleeper" hits for me. I loved that they used REAL Cantonese in the game. Props.
4. Binary Domain ; Nagoshi does it again. Great story and action. Who says action games can't have compelling characters?
5. Spec Ops: The Line ; Really intriguing story.
6. Asura's Wrath ; Wonderful over the top moments. BURST!
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops II ; Best single player campaign of the CoD series. Epic in scope and the story was great. Also, Woods is such a badass.
8. Halo 4 ; What a gorgeous game. <3 Cortana
9. Mass Effect 3 ; Yea, those endings...but the rest was still fun.
10. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ; Highly underrated. Really enjoyed the combat and visuals.

x. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; Addictive and tough.
x. Journey ; Great experience and amazing music.
x. Dust: An Elysian Tail ; Lots of fun and incredible artwork.

Walshicus

1. Halo 4
2. Crusader Kings 2; a fantastic game in its own right, made near perfect by the Game of Thrones mod
3. FTL: Faster Than Light; brilliant, uncluttered
4. Sleeping Dogs
5. Mass Effect 3; flawed ending aside, the game delivered a meaty single player experience with a delightful unexpectedly good multiplayer mode
6. Forza Horizon
7. Fez
8. Endless Space

Qurupeke

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; It's one of my favourite games ever. I loved everything about it. The weapons, the characters, the story and the dialogues.
2. Pokemon Black 2/White 2 ; I don't think that they are as good as their prequels, but nevertheless they're great.
3. Paper Mario: Sticker Star ; I was a bit hesitant about this game at first, but now I really like it.
4. Pokemon Conquest ; The surprise of the year. Best Pokemon spin off ever
5. New Super Mario Bros. U ; It's a Mario game. Should I say anything more?
6. Fallblox ; Not as good as Pullblox, but still an awesome puzzle game.
7. Nintendo Land ; Fun game that everyone with a Wii U should buy.
8. The Denpa Men: They Came by Wave ; A great RPG and a big surprise for me. It would be higher on the list, but I haven't played more than 15 hours.

2011. Pullblox

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Deadline isn't until late January, relatively weak crop of high profile games, explanation requirement.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Deadline isn't until late January, relatively weak crop of high profile games, explanation requirement.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm waiting until the last possible moment since I've still got several 2012 titles in my rotation right now.

Kabouter

I can only speak for myself, but I'm waiting until the last possible moment since I've still got several 2012 titles in my rotation right now.
Same here, though I suspect it's a relatively small group of people that will wait until well into January to vote. I would imagine however that the explanation requirement will mean that group is a larger portion of the total number of voters than it was in previous years.

Zissou

For me, the game I spend far and away the most time playing is Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which came out last year. Nothing I've played from 2012 is remotely as fun as Marvel to me, so I feel way less compelled to vote. I probably still will, but I don't care very much. The few games that I've managed to find time to play between Marvel sessions have been massive disappointments (Fez and ME3) which doesn't help things either.

Mr. Sam

I've absolutely no idea how I managed to play ten new games last year - probably because I want on a frenzy in December. Suffice to say, I haven't managed the same this year. That which I have played, however, I have liked very much.

1. Binary Domain ; Tactically blasting pieces off of robots, ordering a French robot around and-- Oh Jesus, plot twists! So much fun. So much fun.
2. The Walking Dead ; Someone died in The Walking Dead and I actually felt the weight of it. I think that might be a videogame first for me, much as it makes me sound like a cat-strangling psychopath.
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed ; Better than Mario Kart - more creativity, more scale, more skill, more challenge, more variety, more everything. The best kart racer ever probably.
4. Pokemon Black 2/White 2 ; I played Black 2 (not that it matters) and, well, Pokemon just keeps getting better.
5. Halo 4 ; You did it, 343 - you made another very good Halo game. There were bits creeping in here and there that I didn't like (loadouts? Bleh!) but I'm relieved that the franchise is in safe hands.
6. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale ; A new challenger approaches.
7. Spec Ops: The Line ; Generic military shooters can have effective stories? Jesus H. Christ!
8. Max Payne 3 ; The game was hot as a karaoke machine on crack. Or something. It was alright.

It's just dawned on me how few 2012 games I've played this year. For shame.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Same here, though I suspect it's a relatively small group of people that will wait until well into January to vote. I would imagine however that the explanation requirement will mean that group is a larger portion of the total number of voters than it was in previous years.

That's true. C'mon guys, all you gotta do is write "dis game was gud" and you're in the clear.

But really, it's cool. It's kinda fun to see the overall result, but ultimately it's meaningless. If anyone isn't posting because they don't want to add any description whatsoever, then their absence is no loss. The best thing about these threads are individual lists and the people who put effort into them. Not only does it make for an interesting read, but it helps turn me on games I might have otherwise missed!

demidar

So like, what do I do with Xenoblade? I played it last year and I would put that on the 2011 entry, but it also got released this year for NA. So what do I do?

edit: Upon further reading, it seems Xenoblade can either be counted for 2011 or 2012.

Kabouter

That's true. C'mon guys, all you gotta do is write "dis game was gud" and you're in the clear.

But really, it's cool. It's kinda fun to see the overall result, but ultimately it's meaningless. If anyone isn't posting because they don't want to add any description whatsoever, then their absence is no loss. The best thing about these threads are individual lists and the people who put effort into them. Not only does it make for an interesting read, but it helps turn me on games I might have otherwise missed!

Yeah, it used to be that in these threads, maybe 10-15 posts would be actually worth reading, because the rest would just be a list of ten games. And honestly, randombro82 just listing Uncharted and Call of Duty as his favourite games of a year doesn't exactly enrich my forum reading experience.

Gartikker

Could be it yes, although I can't imagine how hard can it be to write just one comment for one game. As for me since the deadline was known from the start (it wasn't that long last year at least at the beginning, right?), I have a chance to finish a few games I want to.

Iksenpets

Banned

For me, I haven't voted yet because this year is really wide open, and has a lot of smaller games I know I can beat before the deadline, so I'm not going to feel ready to vote until we actually get close to the deadline.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

I've got like 5 potential personal goty games that I haven't bought/played yet, so I'm waiting as long as I can.

Zissou

To really give people a reasonable chance to play more of the games from a given year, the deadline could be the end of February and I still wouldn't feel like I had enough time to play everything. Games that come out the tail end of the year get kind of boned.

demidar

Yeah, I'm on the lookout for games during the Winter Steam Sales, snagged myself Binary Domain and Darksiders 2. I'm sure that they will place somewhere in the top 10, but I gotta play it first to confirm my feelings. Also gotta try Hotline Miami.

Haunted

I think the required comment is a smart decision.

I usually put less work into my actual GOTY list post since I've already talked about the games in their respective official threads, but with this requirement and my OCD, I felt compelled to write a comment about each game, if at least one or two people read it, I'm happy with it. ^^

I make sure to read every GOTY list here that has had some work/thought put into it, even if I don't reply (since it is a voting thread, after all).

edit: if this means we get less participants, but more interesting posts, so be it.

Santiako

I'm waiting until the last moment to put my list, I bought XCOM yesterday and I have HALO4 under the tree. I want to play those before I decide.

Ponn

Banned
1) Walking Dead - First time since Valkyria Chronicles I actually cried at a video game. Really not much more needs to be said and I would intentionally hold back information to make people experience it for themselves.

2) Persona 4 Golden - Tough call which one would take top spot. Didn't play it on PS2, I imagine like a lot of people since it came out when most people were probably selling their PS2's off. It's a great fit for Vita and should squash most arguments about console games on a handheld. I can put so much more time in the game being on the Vita then I could on a console, and the colors on that OLED, like a pack of Starburst puked on the screen. So beautiful.

3) X:Com - SRPG's ARE NOT DEAD!!

4) Tokyo Jungle - Pomeranians are not to be trifled with.

5) Mass Effect 3 - I want to have at least 5 picks here. I liked the whole ME series and thought the hate for 3 was a bit overblown. The ending is what it is and its a shame the Leviathan DLC wasn't part of the full game to better explain the ending.

1. Tales of Graces f ; The majority of what defines Tales of Graces is either bad or generic or generically bad or badly generic. Bad story, bad characters, generic JRPG setting and generic soundtrack. And yet there is an incredibly fun and deep battle system in there that is somehow good enough to make Graces my Game of the Year. And..well, I liked Pascal...kinda.
2. Borderlands 2 ; For someone who's played a lot of Borderlands 1 this game will not hold any surprises. It didn't do anything new or exciting; it's just more Borderlands. Which, in the end, was still a super fun and addicting game. Only the horrible internet humor Gearbox calls 'writing' is sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm thankful Gangnam style didn't make it into the game.
3. Dragon's Dogma ; This game was Capcom's most expensive production when it originally came out, and from playing it I really couldn't tell. Dragon's Dogma gets almost everything wrong. Terrible presentation, laughable story, bland and empty game world, few enemy types for the majority of the game, unnecessary backtracking, barely even challenging and technically underwhelming. The fast and responsive combat with its spectacular looking and varied skills, however, make it totally worthwhile to endure the fact that the rest of the game is stuck in the early PS2 days. A sequel could be quite amazing.
4. Asura's Wrath ; Awesome! Like, seriously. I take everything back I've said or thought after playing the demo. This game is the real deal. I had a great time playing it.
5. Super Stardust Delta : Twinstick perfection.
6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; A thoroughly enjoyable game. Plenty of bugs and technical issues (PS3 version) are holding it back from being truly amazing, though. This should have been a much more polished product considering the development time and the scope of the product. It's still a rare example of a triple A game that actually has some depth to it and it should be praised just for that.
7. Binary Domain ; Surprisingly solid shooter with a fun premise for story and setting. Too bad the plot twist at the end was awful and ruins everything the story could have been. Some design decisions are a bit odd and frequently get in the way of the actual game, but overall it was a quality game with a fresh approach in the shooter genre.
8. LittleBigPlanet Vita ; I despise LBP and LBP2. I think everything a platformer can get wrong these games do get wrong. A disgrace for the genre. And yet I thought LBP Vita was quite enjoyable and I cannot explain why. The controls are a little tighter (but hardly tight) and the rest of the game is pretty much just LBP. Maybe I didn't think of it as a platformer anymore? Maybe the portable format suits it better? Maybe because I got it for free? Whatever it is, I liked the game and it deserves this spot.
9. Resident Evil: Revelations ; The best Resident Evil game of the year. Who would've thought? It's not a return to the roots like some people claim, but with its fake mansion setting and relatively calm pace it did evoke some nostalgic feelings. It also has a surprisingly good multiplayer.
10. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask ; It's a Layton game and I like Layton games. Mystery solved.

2011. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Overall, this was not a great year. I had a difficult time coming up with ten games for this list and some of those games I would also put on a list with the most disappointing games of the year (next to Mass Effect 3, NFS Most Wanted, Darksiders 2, Paper Mario SS and others...).
I do regret not having played Kid Icarus, Theatrhythm, Walking Dead, FTL, VLR and a couple of other games that I think would've had a good shot to be on my list. Maybe I'll get some of them done before the the deadline ends.

One thing i've been wondering, due to the way the lists are counted it looks to make the bigger posts with more detailed write ups become an unsightly block of text if they stick specifically to the guidelines due to the no spaces point in particular.
I know some like to spruce up their post with images and plenty of space to make it more easily readable but this if i'm not mistaken means it isn't counted in the grand scheme of things.

So feasibly could you make a basic list following the guidelines of...
1. Game A ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Game B ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D....etc

but then elaborate further on their choices with more detail below the guideline following list or in a different post entirely?

1. Resident Evil: Revelations ; one of the most amazing RE games ever, a true sequel to RE4, the route Capcom should've followed, a mix of action, suspense and horror, and of course, Raid Mode is AWESOME, give me the sequel, I'll but it at a high price!

2. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

3. Style Savvy: Trendsetters

4. Tales of the Abyss

5. Xenoblade Chronicles

6. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

7. The Last Story

I did a lot of LTTP this year. :p

1. The Walking Dead ; What hasn't been said about Telltale's masterpiece of horror & human drama? A perfect evolution of the dying adventure game genre, TWD is the sort of titles that gives hope for the future. It's one of the best games I recall where story is the primary driving force for the player. You don't go into an episode for the puzzles, or even to see the next moral dilemma. You come to continue your story, and prey that your past choices won't come back to haunt you. Even if it doesn't always feel like a "game" - it's a massive stepping stone in the fight for gaming as a total artistic medium.

2. Sleeping Dogs ; I spent most of 2012 (my first year with a decent gaming PC) playing open-world games. Just Cause 2, GTA IV, Arkham City, Saints Row the Third - and
Sleeping Dogs. In my adventures with the later, it made me see how it properly adopted the high points of the former. Sleeping Dogs is incredible. Hong Kong is a detailed universe that looks nothing short of amazing on even moderately powered machines. The action is over the top and gives that perfect action-movie feeling. The combat's a Batman analog, but the environmental attacks added that perfect touch to make each fight great. Finally, it's loaded with humor - both intentional and unintentional. Cramming your girlfriend in a car truck and driving it off a pier while wearing a blood-stained ghost pig mask is something I'll never forget. Tossing a briefcase at a stranger, only to glitch the game and cause them to fly off into the sunset is probably the most hilarious thing in a game, ever.

3. Dishonored ; New franchises have become an unfortunate rarity as of late. And not just in gaming. Everything's an adaptation, or a sequel, or a reboot - and as a result, it's easy to become cynical. So when Dishonored comes along and presents a wholly original steampunk/fantasy universe - fleshed out to grand detail - I'm more than willing to excuse it for the smaller flaws. Blinking around the world, waiting for the guard to be in the perfect place to set off an elegant trap - it all feels fluid, and I always felt like I was in control of my decisions, rather than following one of several set paths for the mission. Does the ending suck? Yes. Does it waste what could be one of the best voice casts of this generation? Completely. But did it have the balls to look, and feel unique in an otherwise dry year? Yes it did, and that's why it's #3.

4. Alan Wake (PC Release) ; Atmosphere is a hard term to define. A game can do everything technically right in crafting an environment - but it can still feel stale & lifeless. Alan Wake is how you do a atmosphere in a game. The use of light and dark is beautiful, haunting, and sets the stage for a mystery that simply doesn't feel like anything else around. Memorable characters, fluid combat, and a story with performances that are above the standard we've come to expect.

5. Hotline Miami ; Hotline Miami is a game I love, despite hardly being able to play it. The game's initial PC release was just borderline playable for me due to serious slowdown. But it speaks miles about the game that I fought that slowdown, and played it until a point where it was literally impossible for me to proceed any further. The gameplay mixes action with strategy in an addictive blend. The visuals are trippy, passionate, and set to a fantastic soundtrack. Were it not a glitched mess, I could see it at the top.

6. Spec Ops : The Line ; Violence in games is a subject that will always be discussed by news media outlets and parental watchdog groups - but leave it to a videogame to craft one of the most fascinating statements on war & violence in a long while. Disguising itself as a shallow CoD clone, Spec Ops quickly turns into a journey into insanity where the player's natural taste for violence is used as a tool of storytelling. Even if you disagree with the game's overall message, it tells it in a way revolutionary for the medium.

7. Kid Icarus : Uprising ; One of the best Nintendo games in years. The story is funny, well written, and contains great characters. The gameplay is shockingly deep, and weapon crafting offers way more potential than you'd expect. The controls are frustrating, but the experience well worth it.

2011. Rhythm Heaven Fever

One thing i've been wondering, due to the way the lists are counted it looks to make the bigger posts with more detailed write ups become an unsightly block of text if they stick specifically to the guidelines due to the no spaces point in particular.
I know some like to spruce up their post with images and plenty of space to make it more easily readable but this if i'm not mistaken means it isn't counted in the grand scheme of things.

I think if you look at Xillium's or Haunted's ballot then you will find a "spruced up" entry that is also valid for parsing purposes, including images and spacing between entries.

As others have said, (and you yourself), people are waiting to finish more games, and hopefully the comment requirement is keeping away drive-by voters who do not really improve the thread. In previous years the deadline would be earlier at first before I eventually extended it; this year I extended it from the first so most everyone would have a chance to play end of year games in time for the voting.

I'm really glad to see people are happy with the decision to require a comment and generally the "quality over quantity" argument in terms of ballots for this thread.

I think if you look at Xillium's or Haunted's ballot then you will find a "spruced up" entry that is also valid for parsing purposes, including images and spacing between entries.

Oh so it still works like that then? with the way people are talking around here it had me confused, okay then, cheers, i'll get around to my list in the new year most likely as there's still some games i'd like to squeeze in.

1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ; Loved just about everything in this game. The atmosphere, the characters, the plot twist and everything just meshed really well together. Probably my favorite game in the past 3-4 years.

2. Persona 4 Golden ; Never played P4 so playing it for the first time is a great experience. Characters are great, the writing is solid and the amount of content is just insane. Not to mention that character development is top-notch.

3. Persona 4 Arena ; IMO the most fun fighting game in a long time. The combat is really flushed out, characters feel very unique, and the combat system is open enough where you can try out new things.

4. Binary Domain ; One of the funnest TPS games in a long time. The combat definitely feels rewarding and is fast paced. The story isn't amazing but the gameplay is pretty top-notch. There was never a moment where I felt the gameplay restricted me in some obtuse way.

5. Journey ; Great experience and great visuals. The short game length helps complement everything about this game so that it never feels overbearing. I would recommend it to anybody that wants a detour from AAA games.

will edit it later but these are my 5 for now.

I usually put less work into my actual GOTY list post since I've already talked about the games in their respective official threads, but with this requirement and my OCD, I felt compelled to write a comment about each game, if at least one or two people read it, I'm happy with it. ^^
Was a great post, and maybe my favorite so far. Good stuff.

1. Dishonored ; The game has some flaws but in the end it´s charming and atmospheric world won me over and is the main reason why this game is my game of the year 2012.

2. SSX ; Just pure gameplay. I loved that the drops offered some challenge to master (just like 1080 snowboarding on the N64) and the wingsuit mechanic was a GREAT addition.

3. The Darkness 2 ; Very good gameplay mechanics but the world lacked the awesome atmosphere from it´s predecessor. A hybrid of both would be the perfect Darkness game.

4. Inversion ; A consolation prize for the game that nobody played. For real, that game is not THAT bad.

ameridion

Neo Member
1.- Sleeping Dogs ; I love open world games and the lack of a Rockstar proper game with these characteristics was almost unnoticeable thanks to this great game. The setting, the graphics, and the amazing controls while driving or fighting a group of enemies made this game feel like the complete package for what any company making this types of games should strive for.
2.- Far cry 3 ; This game is what a first person shooter should feel like, it has tight controls a great progression and good balance of the abilities it allows to use. A setting that even if it has been used too much has a unique feel thanks to the art design.
3.- The Walking Dead ; What can I say about this game that hasn't been said before. TellTale Games found a way to tell a story in a way that it felt tailored to every person where what you said could have an impact on the way a character responds to you when you need him. The most important merit this game has is telling the story in a way that the player feels like making a difference in the story even though it is already written and has an specific ending that everyone sees but nobody feels the same about.
4.- Alan Wake ; Great game, amazing narrative and some inventive game play mechanics.
5.- Binary Domain ; Lovable characters and a great story with some interesting stuff that makes you think what could happen if that future comes even if it's too early to think about it.
6.- Max Payne 3 ; Feels like a modern Max payne, has a story with twists and a special timing that could hurt the willing to replay the game for competionists.
7.- Spec Ops: The Line ; Great story with a message. It will not leave you indifferent
8.- Mark Of The Ninja ; A great stealth game with solid mechanics. I just wish most of the upgrades weren't for combat situations but to avoid them
9.- The Darkness II ; I loved the new uses for the Darkness. The story is a little too short but nonetheless enjoyable
10.- Hotline Miami ; Fantastic soundtrack and violence over the top, what else do I have to say?

* Super Mario 3D Land ; Is a very solid platformer, the implementation of the 3D is in favor of the controls and not the other way around and makes you hopeful for what nintendo could make with 3d technology in non intrusive ways.

While I was making this list I noticed a lot of third person shooters, that's definitely a good thing as i like that perspective over first person shooters. Also this is the first year in a long time that I come back to PC gaming and loving how cheap and achievable is to get new games at affordable prices.

AniHawk

i'm not going to list anything i didn't enjoy. i've played 11 games from 2012, and only nine of them were things i found myself liking so far (me3 and kid icarus miss the grade). i still want to tackle walking dead and journey, but man... i don't think i've had such a hard time coming up with ten games since 2008. of course, i used to buy a lot more, too.

Top Bottom