• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2012 - Voting Thread, now closed. Thanks for all the fish.

1Oymt.gif
D9ZpN.jpg
1Oymt.gif

1. Virtue’s Last Reward ; The sequel to one of the greatest games of all time with the greatest videogame story ever told. Whilst Virtue’s Last Reward isn’t quite as brilliant as 999...it’s still a really incredible game. So much to love about it! Obviously the mind meltingly good story, memorable characters, perfect voice acting, clever puzzles, fabulous soundtrack, great dialogue, the length of the game...everything is top shelf. And the twists? SO GOOD! This is a game that won’t let you put it down, hours feel like minutes, and once you stop – all you’ll do is think about it for the rest of the day. This franchise is the best thing to happen to gaming in a very long time! Pure quality!

2. Journey

3. Dragon’s Dogma

4. Gravity Rush

5. Binary Domain

6. Rayman Origins

7. Resident Evil 6

8. Jet Set Radio HD

9. Uncharted Golden Abyss

10. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale

Well I beat 27 games this year, the exact same number as I beat in 2011. How fucking weird is that?
My top picks from those are:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops2; Yup, it seems the dude bro, derp derp answer but for me this is a revelation. Truly the 1st COD to grip me and not let go since COD4. 100+ hours online and replaying campaign missions. The game just hits the right buttons for me.

2. Resident Evil Revelations, a return to creepy Resi over action Resi and a welcome return too. It's just a shame it's on a handheld and the limited power means repeating boring enemies that just become ugly fodder. Story, setting and tone are all top notch though.

3. Chainsaw Lollipop
4. Darkness II
5. Transformers Fall of Cybertron.

Hard to even pick 5 from my 27 that should be on a GOTY list. Worst year in gaming for a long time imo.

1. Tokyo Jungle; the ultimate survival game. Played the most on my love of risk/reward in a game and was downright hectic at times. Batshit crazy story by the end that I never saw coming.

2. Super Hexagon; simple to play, difficult to master; one game often turned into one-hundred.

3. Hotline Miami; amazing soundtrack, great gameplay, aggravating, but couldn’t put it down.

4. Persona 4: Golden; killer soundtrack, great characters, and one of the best RPGs I’ve played.

5. Super Mario Bros Wii U; the best Mario I’ve played since 64. Clean and wonderful art style and the right amount of difficulty. Multiplayer added a whole other level of enjoyment.

6. Mutant Blob Attacks; simple platformer where you got bigger as you played and could swallow things. Surprise Vita hit for me

7. Gravity Rush; a fun, stylish action game; loved being able to explore the town from all angles

8. ZombiU; a return to survival horror; showed me what was possible with the WiiU from launch. Created many tense moments and made me really think about my actions.

9. Journey; a great experience and the other-person connection was surprising to realize. Enjoyed playing this, but did not think it lent well to multiple playthroughs for me. Really nice artstyle.

10. Sound Shapes; a platformer with music elements that was super relaxing to play and groove into; robust level editor that added to its replayability for me.

2011: Dark Souls

Maccas

1. The Walking Dead
2. FTL: Faster Than Light ; Biggest surprise fo the year. Pumped so many hours into it and all were satisfying, beating the game on easy might be the crowning achievement of my life.
3. Sleeping Dogs
4. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
5. Hotline Miami
6. Dishonored
7. Frog Fractions
8. Botanicula
9. Far Cry 3
10. Journey

2011. The Binding of Isaac

Have not played enough of but probably would have figured: Mark of the Ninja, Resonance, Legend of Grimrock

KalBalboa

Banned
m_maxpayne3_01.jpg

1. Max Payne 3; The gunplay, the atmosphere, the character, the visuals, the soundtrack. All top of their class and incredible enough to warrant three playthroughs from me already this year. I've had Tears as my ringtone since spring for good reason, and every time my phone rings I'm tempted to jump back to Chapter 14, Checkpoint 4 to relive that rush again. I applaud Rockstar for taking up the task of bringing back one of gaming's seemingly forgotten icons and giving him the best shooting mechanics I've ever used while fleshing him out as much as possible. Shoot dodging never felt so good.

The violence felt warranted and left an impact on me. Max felt human and angry in an insecure way I rarely see in any media and have never felt in a game. I felt right back at home in his haunted world and felt like such an incredible badass during my time in Max Payne 3.

Little-Big-Planet-per-PS-Vita.jpeg

2. Little Big Planet Vita; Easily the best entry in the LBP series, this was the game that sold me on the Vita. The campaign has the most creativie platforming I've experienced and the simply arithmetic of LittleBigPlanet + Touch Controls far exceeded my expectations. A pure joy with endless content.

playstation-all-stars-battle-royale.jpg

3. PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale; Words can't describe how hyped I was for this game, and considering how genuinely fun & well crafted the fighting is in this game it shouldn't be a shock that I platinum'd the game within two weeks on my Vita. Cross-play only enhanced the fanboyish jollies I had when watching Sweet Tooh and Kratos throw down, and finally having that brand-wide game that allows my friends and I to go toe-to-toe with so many PS icons is something I can't put a price tag on.

xlarge.jpg

4. Twisted Metal; I'm a die-hard Twisted Metal fan and have to agree with Jaffe that TM: 2012 is the best game in the franchise. The 90's spirit was strong with the game and split-screen cooperative play throughout the campaign brought my friends and I right back to our pre-teen days again. This game would probably have been my GOTY if the online mode worked a bit better and if a few more favorite drivers were included (no Yellow Jacket?). I hit some real gaming nirvana during a few of the grander multiplayer matches I had in this game while blasting Raise The Flag in surround sound, which was probably my favorite gaming moment of 2012.

7601480852_019cd1143a_z.jpg

5. Sound Shapes; Incredibly inviting, equally relaxing & challenging, creative, and executed flawlessly. It plays like a dream and keeps its hooks in you.

journey-game-screenshot-1-b.jpg

6. Journey; What else can be said about this? It's heralded so highly for good reason.

Uncharted-Golden-Abyss-640x360.jpg

7. Uncharted Golden Abyss; The first Uncharted game where I actually felt like an explorer. Great gyro aiming, some surprisingly innovative Vita ideas (rope climbing, using lights on the back camera to see through paper, etc), and an adventure suited strongly to a hand-held experience made it a real winner for me.

8046352222_65e1a36b88_z.jpg

8. The Walking Dead; I appreciate the drama as much as everyone else seems to, but I had some strong flashbacks to exploring Raccoon City while traversing through The Walking Dead. It's my personal high-point for the franchise (yes, including the comics and TV show).

gravity-rush-1.jpg

9. Gravity Rush; A open-world superhero game with a new spin on platforming and combat. Another excellent Vita game that gave me something that felt remarkably fresh.

Starhawk1.jpg

10. Starhawk; The cooperative mode stole the show for me on this game. While the competitive multiplayer never really outshined Warhawk, it was certainly ambitious and delivered something I never thought possible. The campaign was really fun and let me decide how to attack giant firefights, and it had that Single Track/Incog legacy feel to it I wouldn't trade much for.

LordCanti

1. Journey ; It's short, but it sums up what I'm looking for from games right now. There's a story there if you pay attention, and the co-op was incredibly interesting to me. It helps that the music was top notch.

2. Dishonored ; Yeah the
betrayal
was seen from a mile away, but I really enjoyed playing this game. Stealth hadn't really worked for me since...hell...Metal Gear Solid 4 probably (or Ass Creed 2, I forget which came out last), and this is the game that finally brought it back and made it work in a mostly-open environment. Where Assassin's Creed 3 failed, this thing succeeded.

3. Fez ; Not much to say about this one. I played it, I loved it. It had bugs for sure, and it took forever to come out, but it was worth the wait.

4. X-Com ; This game (while buggy) has no right to be this good. This is how old franchises should be rebooted.

5. Far Cry 3 ; If it weren't for the ending, this game would be #1 on my list. What a disappointing waste of a great
villain in Vaas

6. Sleeping Dogs ; It started life as a True Crime game and didn't end up sucking? What? Who knew this dev team had it in them?

7. Dark Souls PC ; What a difference a proper (thanks Durante) PC version of a game can make. Why From created such high res textures for a game meant to be seen through a foggy low-res haze is beyond me, but I thank them for it.

Dishonorable mention ; Mass Effect 3. If it weren't for the bullshit ending, this would be in my top 3. I enjoyed playing through the game a lot, but what wasn't there (Leviathan....WTF..) and what WAS there (the original tri-color ending space magic explosion) was just too much to award the game any points. Diablo 3 also made me a bunch of money, but the game didn't have staying power IMO. I played D2 for the PVP, not to grind gear indefinitely until all warmth had gone from the world.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1. Borderlands 2 ; This game is pretty much flawless. It's the game Borderlands should have been, and more. I can't even think of any criticisms for this game. The gunplay is fantastic, the level design is fantastic, 99% of the writing is fantastic, the amount of content in the game is absurd, the loot system is pretty close to perfect except for in co-op, co-op otherwise is flawless. This is a marquee example of a game that executes on it's design goals well.
2. Trials Evolution ; As someone who missed out on Trials HD, this game is amazing. The level editor in this game takes a steaming shit on pathetic level editors in $60 games. The amount of content and creativity this game ships with and cultivates in a dedicated community allows it to provide endless hours of entertainment and provide an insane bang for your buck for it's price. Evolution is also one of the last games who still cater to 4 player local multiplayer, and for that I salute RedLynx and Ubisoft for instantly being one of the best devs in the industry.
3. Mass Effect 3 ; The ending sucked ass, but that does not invalidate how Mass Effect 3 is by far the best and most refined Mass Effect game. The game cuts the crap and growing pains of the franchise and fulfills both gameplay and storytelling (except the ending) goals the game has always strived for I feel. The game's multiplayer also was probably one of the biggest surprises all gen, being more robust than game's that actually try to focus on building a multiplayer component to steal users from the likes of CoD. At full price, this was a game and a journey (both in the game and alongside the controversy) brimming with content, and I'm glad to have played it.
4. Halo 4 ; A Halo game through and through with some flaws. What 343 has accomplished is extraordinary. They've managed to nail the core combat, providing probably the best gunplay in the entire series, while also providing the game with the best storytelling in the franchise, and a beautiful opening to a new trilogy. The game is the most beautiful game all gen in my opinion, with a great extension of Forerunner and UNSC styles that Bungie carefully crafted over the past decade. The game is pretty much only this low because of the wealth of issue and inconsistencies that this game has that the rest of the series has never had, across nearly every aspect of the game. It's far from perfect, but the franchise shows promise and hopes that 343 will iron the kinks out over time.
5. Paper Mario: Sticker Star ; A pleasant surprise, and probably my favourite 3DS game, Sticker Star never fails to put a smile on your face as you move from area to area. The game's combat system is simple, and doesn't have much depth or a learning curve to it, but is still fun. The game instead focuses on strict sticker management. Charming mechanics like paperizing, removing stickers from objects and picking up scraps all come together to make a relatively varied experience, that I already wish I could experience for the first time again.
6. Assassin's Creed 3 ; Objectively, this is probably one of the best and most content-filled games on this list outside of Borderlands 2. There is so much to do, hours and hours worth of content, a unique multiplayer mode, and probably the best self-contained story in the history of the franchise. It's by far the best and most refined game in the entire franchise as well. Hell, I give this game a lot of credit for simply freeing itself from the constraints of the Desmond story by the end of it, but the sheer amount of bugs I experienced, and the super lackluster ending itself put this game this low on my list. The game just seems easier than the rest, the combat scenarios never did much for me, and the tree movement felt like it was missing a certain je ne sais quoi. As the 4th Assassins Creed game I completed in 2012, even I can feel the sterility in the franchise despite enjoying every one, but I honestly feel getting rid of the terrible protagonist, Desmond, is and was the first step to save the series.
7. Soul Calibur V ; This game is super flawed and rushed out the door to give devs more time to work on TTT2. Neglected by both the community and the developers, the game suffered an unfortunate fate, but it is still a game I enjoyed thoroughly for the sole reason that it's another Soul Calibur, the only 3D fighting game I can tolerate. Small stuff like not giving experience for local multiplayer (which pretty much means you have to grind boring AI battles to get anything for use in the character creator) is what led to me stopping playing the game really. It just lacked the addictive quality for me that was present in SCII.
8. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance ; Not much to say about this game, it was a fun and flashy ride, that you can almost autopilot through, but a game that really delivers on making the player feel like they are doing something badass at all times. The sheer length of the game means I can't go back and do it again on a higher difficulty, but I can definitely see the depth in the mechanics. The game is also beautiful, and the worlds themselves were delightful to look at and play in. Story was terrible and terribly told, but from what I gather it's not supposed to make sense in the first place and makes a lot of leaps of logic just to stay charming and Disney-like.
9. Pokemon Black & White 2 ; It's Black & White, but better. 'nuff said. Just completed it, and though I didn't like the story as much, I feel like the game has a lot more production values in it than it's predecessors, but also can't help but feel like it's a cocktease for the 3D model Pokemon we've all been waiting for.
10. Fez ; This game was a fascinating, unique and very well done experience marred by an idiotic dev and even more complicated development issues. And even moreso, the charm and charisma the game had devolved into "go here, input code" for the entire second half of the game's length. The only reason the game is this high on this list is basically for the initial charm and feel of the game which is like none other. Once you probe the game further, you realize it isn't as good as your first impression.

2011. Dark Souls ; Still haven't finished it because I'm far too afraid to back with all the souls I got on me, but this game elicits emotions in a way most games don't. Fear. Regret. Motivation. Courage. I think the game design contains a lot that needs to be studied up by other devs, and what allows these emotions to exist that are pretty much nonexistent in the rest of the games I've played this gen.

Unison

1. Xenoblade Chronicles ; JRPGs are terrible. Then there is this game.
2. Spelunky ; Weirdly, you guys think Journey is better than this.
3. Fez ; The real art game of the year. Who cares if Phil Fish is a jerkwad?
4. Legend of Grimrock ; Came with graph paper. It knows its audience more than any game this year.
5 FTL: Faster Than Light ; This made it to #5 on my list, and I only recently discovered that you can pause it to issue orders.
6. The Real Texas ; Stylized (i.e. ugly) graphics in the service of a successor to the classic Ultima games.
7. La Mulana ; Extraordinarily well designed… and extraordinarily sadistic. Wii’s true swan song.
8. XCOM ; Some major issues here (e.g. not enough mission variety, a linear campaign, crap DLC, controls better with a pad). Still shames most games.
9. Mark of the Ninja ; One of the few stealth games to get the formula right. What a difference good controls make.
10. The Walking Dead ; If only because this has the best chance of anything of beating the wretched Journey.

FerranMG

1. Borderlands 2 ; simply the most addictive game I've played this year. When I started it, I felt a bit lukewarm towards it, but I've put now over 100 hours into it, and kept loving it more the more I played. I guess the inflection point was when I started TVHM. There's always outstanding loot to find (and it gets better as the game (and the level) progresses), and the gameplay is so very smooth.
There's still things to improve for the next sequel, but this entry is amazing. Unrivaled GOTY for me.
2. Minecraft ; I never thought Minecraft would be my kind of game, but man I tried the XBLA demo and felt irresistibly in love. It plays great, it provides an amazing sense of exploration, and I managed to build really cool buildings with all the materials I had crafted. I was hooked for hours planning and constructing buildings, and getting all the necessary materials I needed for them.
3. The Walking Dead ; this game is in 3rd position because I loved the story and how it's presented. I can't say I've seen many better stories in a videogame. However, at least for XBLA, the game is choppy (but not graphically impressive), and I can't help the feeling that it can crash at any point (though it has not happened yet). A shame that it's not better polished.
4. Far Cry 3 ; I love open-world games, and even though I've only been able to play for a few hours, this game looks like so much fun. I couldn't get into FC2 because it gave me motion sickness (don't know why), and this seems to be mostly solved in FC3 (though the FOV is too narrow and I still hate all the head bobbing). Also, graphically you can tell the X360 is not the console that gets the most out of this game.
But still, unlimited things to do, great skill progression, cool open world... I'm all for it.
5. Trials Evolution ; absolutely loved Trials HD, and this more of the same. Maybe I miss some innovation, but the core game is outstanding and so much fun.
6. The Unfinished Swan ; very cool idea for a game, even if the story felt a bit too childish.
7. Journey ; the main problem I have with Journey is that it's one of these games that I feel try to push too much the "art" thing. It beautiful, it's smooth, I understand the story it tries to carve, but in the end I think all of these things do not make for the lack of gameplay. 2.5 hours was the correct length for it, I'm happy it was this way because or else I wouldn't have enjoyed it.
8. Beat the Beat ; played a bit of this game at my brother's, and it's as amazing as the original Rhythm Tengoku. Last minute addition, then!

2011. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; I could never get into Oblivion, but Skyrim caught me from the beginning. Incredible setting, incredible world. The first game I ever got 1000/1000 (the second one being Borderlands 2). I loved getting lost through the fields, mountains or caves and always having something to do.
The worst part was that the weapons were not very interesting. Better crafting and loot would have been the ice on the cake.

Owensboro

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked it as much as those other 3 strategy games! Bonus points for mentioning Valkyria Chronicles twice :) I really need to replay that game again.

Virtue’s Last Reward
Just like ilnadmy said, I really need to play 999 and this at some point. Sucks that VLR is on 3DS and Vita, as I'm too cheap to buy either. Time to find a friend who owns one of them!

eXistor

Just one of many friendly reminders that people should really read the op and format their lists properly. your list will not be counted if it's not properly formatted and all your hard work you put into making your list (mine took 2 hours) will go to waste.

it's:
1. Name of the Game ; opinion times

repeat.

Riposte

Just one of many friendly reminders that people should really read the op and format their lists properly. your list will not be counted if it's not properly formatted and all your hard work you put into making your list (mine took 2 hours) will go to waste.

it's:

1. Name of the Game ; opinion times

repeat.

Um, I think you saying that without quotes or code invalidates your list as well.

Honestly I did not play a lot of games this year... Was maybe around 15 games so My top 10 is probably going to look shitty compared to some of you guys who have played far more deserving games, however I will say that my Top 3 is in my opinion, very deserving, despite the majority gaf Opinion... I actually struggled to decide which was my number 1 between the top 3 because they all represented my biggest highlights of the year...

1. Mass Effect 3 ; Ultimately, I decided to go with the game that I feel I got the most satisfaction out of (and ultimately closure). Lets just get the obvious out of the way. The ending disappointed me as it did everyone else, but I absolutely loved everything else about the game (and have not even gotten to my Insanity run yet). The ending couldn't ruin the other 90+ hours (of that character, not including my unfinished play through of a second character). Story was for the most part solid, dialogue was great, the best characters got appropriate send offs
Mordin!
and there were arguably some extremely tough decisions for my character
Siding with Tali and her kind and ultimately killing Legion in the process!
. When it comes down to it, the end of the saga might have some sway over this decision considering the other choices I have in my top 3, but I feel like this satisfying conclusion was the best experience I had this year. Certainly the most memorable because of the overall experience.

2. Borderlands 2 ; I think if it wasn't for the culmination of the Mass Effect saga, this game would probably have taken the title. I am a self professed loot whore fanatic(as will be evident by other choices in my top 10). The original borderlands was a pleasant surprise(and one of the only games I have ever double dipped on 360/PC) and BL2 just made the entire package so much better. Dialogue was funnier, story was better(and surprisingly dark... ) and the gunplay was fantastic (although I think i preferred some weapon designs of the first title). If Borderlands was the prototype, BL2, was definitely the finished product. Everything about it was just infinitely superior, and it is very rare that I enjoy the dozens of side quests in a game like this MORE than the main quest line. Kudos to Gearbox. BL3 will be another Day 1 purchase whenever that may happen!

3. Diablo 3 ; If I were voting based on sheer amount of time spent in a game this year, Diablo 3 would have been my vote. Like I said, it was a tough decision with my top 3. Continuing on with my Loot Whoring obsession, Diablo 3 in my opinion nailed it (until Inferno at least). Nearly 200 hours, several characters, and still the occasional urge to boot it up again just to see what the patches have done to the game. In my opinion playing up to 60 was the end game for me. There is no denying that Inferno was broken when it came to loot drops, but I don't fault the AH. I rarely used it before inferno if at all and when it comes down to it... someone is finding the items to put up in AH... why shouldn't I be able to as well? I guess I am just more patient than the majority. Through Hell, i treated the game like any other diablo game, and thats where I spent the majority of my time. I still plan on completing Inferno eventually, probably when i cap my DH, but I think I definitely got my moneys worth and thensome.

4. Need For Speed: Most Wanted ; I am not a big fan of racing games, with some exceptions. I Love Arcade racers (F-zero for instance). The less realistic the better it is to me. I hadn't played a burnout game till Paradise, and not knowing exactly what to expect, the two things I did know was Open world (not a fan) and Realistic locations/vehicles (uh oh), but to my surprise I loved all of the mechanics of the game and it was one of the most arcade centric racers I have ever played. I don't want another racing game unless its Open world(well... a new F-zero would work as well)! Most Wanted scratched that itch of an open world arcade experience and while it didn't really focus as much on the stunts of BP which I absolutely loved (although the online component was great, and focused on the more gamey side of things), the overall feel of the game got me excited for future Criterion titles, but I would be lying if I said I would want Most Wanted 2 over BP2. Please Criterion... let us know whats going on with BP2!

5. Walking Dead ; Surprise of the Year #1 for me. I never knew what The Walking Dead was before the show, but I have been hooked on it since, and have been catching up with the comics. I didn't expect much from the Telltale adventure but I heard rave reviews from it and got it on the cheap. I am glad I did. This is by far the best story based experience I had this year. While any actual game play is essentially broken down into its most basic foundations, I think the timing mechanic for choices was fantastic, and just the twists made for an unforgettable experience. I think the story falls just short of the greatness that is Planescape: Torment. I wish the game had more "game" to it though. Otherwise it was a fantastic interactive experience that I look forward to season 2 of.

6. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dream ; Surprise of the Year #2! This game came out of no where. Picked it up on the cheap from steam sales last week and have been pleasantly surprised by the oldschool feel of it. I haven't played a platformer this good in some time now and it looks FANTASTIC! Maybe not Trine good, but its up there. I haven't beaten the game yet, so it might even move up a notch or 2 but I look forward to playing it more.

7. Torchlight 2 ; Again, Loot Whoring... there isn't much more to say about it. It is a genre I absolutely love and the changes that Runic made to the originals formula are fantastic, however I there is one thing I just can't get over and that is how the combat feels in comparison to Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 has a better overall Loot and skill system, but I was never very satisfied with how combat felt in comparison to Diablo 3, and perhaps that has to do with the characters I played (Engineer and Embermage) more than anything else. Good game none the less, and I look forward to spending more time in it when TorchED 2.0 releases.

8. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 ; What is there to really say about another CoD game? I love the feel of the weapons, the Pick 10 systems is pretty solid as I have been finding that this is the most diverse I have played a CoD game in some time, and the campaign was surprisingly decent with its "choices". Treyarch has certainly stepped it up when it comes to this franchise.

9. Halo 4 ; A part of me actually enjoyed halo 4's multiplayer more than Blops 2, but the more I play of Halo 4, the more I realize I just don't enjoy the mechanics as much. Don't get me wrong, I think Halo 4 represents the best multiplayer the series has seen in some time but I simply enjoy the gun play in CoD more. I have never been a huge fan of the weapons in Halo, but I like the new game modes like Regicide and the ordinance drops and weapon layouts on maps are nice. The campaign was underwhelming however.

10. SSX ; This one falls in line with my love for arcade racers, and some nostalgia for SSX 3. While I hated many of the gimmicks with the deadly descents, the overall game felt very SSX to me. I loved the Geotag element, again going back to my Loot Whoring fetish and while I was disappointed there was no true racing mode, the time attacks vs others kept me busy for dozens of hours. (i should add I have not tried the newr content that supposedly added real time racing...)

Other title's i played this year that missed the cut:
Hard Reset
Quantum Conundrum
Guardians of Middle Earth
PoE(Not officially released so it doens't deserve GOTY accolades, but ill give it an honorable mention because its good)
Nexuiz
Also have Saints Row 3 still awaiting to be played... sadly that won't happen by the time voting is done.

This was mostly a Catching up year for me.

KalBalboa

Banned

it's:

repeat.

Point blank question: does my list currently qualify?

KalBalboa

Banned
No.

You can do pretty much whatever you want with images and things but you have to have your actual ballot formatted thusly:

#. Game Title; Comment starting on same line as title.

There are many examples in this thread of it done well. On quick browse, an example is this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45596067&postcount=208

I actually changed my post to that exact format riiiight after asking this question. How about now?

My apologies for missing the specifics of formatting; I was basically doing what I saw others going for and assumed having my list numbered with the titles emboldened would be sufficient. My bad.

I actually changed my post to that exact format riiiight after asking this question. How about now?

My apologies for missing the specifics of formatting; I was basically doing what I saw others going for and assumed having my list numbered with the titles emboldened would be sufficient. My bad.

Looks great now :)

1. Persona 4: Golden ; one of the best JRPGs of all time, I loved it on PS2 and this Vita edition makes it almost perfect.
2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (360)
3. Gravity Rush
4. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
5. Dragon's Dogma
6. Dishonored
7. SSX
8. Lollipop Chainsaw
9. Journey
10. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Talaysen

1. Tales of Graces f ; Ended up being one of my favorite games ever. The plot's bad, the characters aren't really that good (outside of Malik), and the music is terrible, but the gameplay is so good that I don't even care.
2. 2nd Super Robot Wars OG (JP) ; The first SRWOGs is also one of my favorite games. The second is more of the same with improved and more complex gameplay. It's a ton of fun so far. It's a tough contest between this and ToGf for #1.
3. Atelier Meruru ; I didn't like it as much as its predecessor Atelier Totori, but it's still a great game. And the combat is significantly better. Really looking forward to Atelier Ayesha as it seems to have improved gameplay even further.
4. Diablo 3 ; The loot may have issues, but the gameplay is top notch. And that's what really matters.
5. Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 ; The first game was extremely boring, but they completely changed the battle system for the better, which makes this one actually fun.
6. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem ; I like Fire Emblem games in theory, but always hated the permadeath. Having the option to turn it off is a huge improvement so I'm enjoying this one a lot.
7. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Decent game. I don't really see where all the hype comes from but I still kind of like it.
8. Final Fantasy XIII-2 ; I found this to be significantly worse than Final Fantasy XIII, but it's not bad.
9. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy ; A solid rhythm game. Its biggest problem is the grinding required to unlock new characters. I cleared all the Ultimate songs and still didn't unlock one (because you have to do Dark Notes for that...).
10. Torchlight 2 ; My disappointment for the year. The combat is decent, but it copies Diablo 2 too much. Permanent stat and skill points without the ability to freely respec is the biggest problem. Doesn't help that they nerfed my build and I had no way to change it without starting over! (In all honesty it needed the nerf, but that's not really the point.) It's still a good game, though.

I only put on games I actually finished, since I don't know if it's okay to include things I haven't finished yet.

Depends on the person, but from an "official" point of view, yes, it's fine. If you played 10 hours of XCOM and it was the best 10 hours of a game you played this year, no reason not to vote for it.

The frontrunners are the same as those in all the other media GOTY lists: Journey and The Walking Dead. Aggregate GAF is no different than any other major outlet. I think IGN and GAF even had the same GOTY three years in a row haha.

I dunno, I've seen a lot of XCOM, Dishonored, and Hotline Miami. I think it's going to be a close race this year.

r1chard

As usual, only a few games I'm willing to give points to from last year (partially thanks to my efforts to get through my Steam and PSN+ backlog of pre-2012 games...)

1. Journey; games are art, ok?
2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown; *almost* perfecting the game I loved 20 years ago
3. FTL: Faster Than Light; a great little capsule of a game
4. Torchlight 2; lots of fun clicky clicky and a great improvement in the genre
5. SSX; I'm a sucker for the franchise

Xilium

I dunno, I've seen a lot of XCOM, Dishonored, and Hotline Miami. I think it's going to be a close race this year.

I think TWD and Journey being #1 & #2 is pretty much a given at this point. Not sure which one is on top (gonna just assume TWD) but those two games show up in nearly every post - maybe not as number one, but every point makes a difference. I think the rest of the top five will be XCOM, Mass Effect 3, and either Dishonored or Borderlands 2. Rounding out the top 10, I'm going to guess some combination of Dishonored/Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, and either Hotline Miami or Max Payne 3.

The heavy showing of downloadable titles puts GAF in parity with the media outlets. The (possible) lack of Far Cry 3 and Fez, plus the presence of Sleeping Dogs and Max Payne 3 are the only real standouts.

Of course, because of the weighted system, my assumed top 10 could be way off but I think the top 5 at least is pretty close to accurate.

I think TWD and Journey being #1 & #2 is pretty much a given at this point. Not sure which one is on top (gonna just assume TWD) but those two games show up in nearly every post - maybe not as number one, but every point makes a difference. I think the rest of the top five will be XCOM, Mass Effect 3, and either Dishonored or Borderlands 2. Rounding out the top 10, I'm going to guess some combination of Dishonored/Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, and either Hotline Miami or Max Payne 3.

The heavy showing of downloadable titles puts GAF in parity with the media outlets. The (possible) lack of Far Cry 3 and Fez, plus the presence of Sleeping Dogs and Max Payne 3 are the only real standouts.

Of course, because of the weighted system, my assumed top 10 could be way off but I think the top 5 at least is pretty close to accurate.

I did a quick runthrough of the first page, just tallying up a select amount of titles that seemed to be frontrunners. I didn't take into account disqualified ballots and what-not. Walking Dead is the clear leader out of the first page tally, with XCOM, Journey, and Mass Effect 3 the closest behind it.

A few things I noted, just from first page patterns:

-Journey is usually either #1 or #2 on people's lists or not on it at all. Rarely does it show up out of the top 3.
-Walking Dead benefited the most from short ballots, i.e. people who don't list a full top 10 often list Walking Dead at #1 and maybe one or two others.
-Dishonored had almost as many appearances on lists as The Walking Dead, but often falls in the lower half so it's not accruing as many points.
-People who list Nintendo games tend to list exclusively only Nintendo games, and rarely does only one Nintendo game show up on a list; it seems to be either all or nothing.

It's gonna be interesting. Of course these are all the early ballots before year even ended and before the winter Steam sale. Also all the later voters will likely have made full ballots. I'd say the top 10 will probably have Walking Dead, XCOM, Journey, Mass Effect 3, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3, Dishonored, and Sleeping Dogs for sure...and then probably a mix of Binary Domain, Hotline Miami, FTL and Dragon's Dogma to round it out. There's an outside chance something like Kid Icarus: Uprising or New Super Mario Bros. U could crack the top 10, but that depends on how many Nintendo voters end up submitting.

Gowans

If Dota 2 was allowed then it would be top by a massive margin, I haven't had loadsa time this year and still working my way through a lot but as of now here goes:

1. Mark of the Ninja ; Blew me away in all aspects. Loved the mechanics and wanted to keep playing through.

2. Walking Dead ; Gripped and Terrified and Grossed out.

3. Far Cry 3 ; So much to do and explore, love the bow & arrow and the voice actor for the bad guy is tremendous.

4. Halo 4 ; Love Halo, love this and it's stunning to look at.

5. XCOM ; Filled a void for me, fantastic game I keep coming back to.

6. Diablo 3 ; I was engrossed and ripped through it with my bad ass.

7. Forza Horizon ; Forza + More Fun + Pretty, loved it.

8. SSX ; Dusted off my combo skills again and it felt good.

9. Sine Mora ; A fantastic really exciting shooter.

10. Rayman Origins ; Gorgous platformer full of personality

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
1. Journey ; I have purchased this game due to peoples claim of it being an experience that one should experience. I'm delaying it's anticipation of playing, just because I know once I play it, I'll never ever get to experience it again for the first time. I have shed tears at it's majesty and beautiful landscapes through videos (Let's Play) and GAF threads that honor it, I'm readying myself to play it soon on my 65" Panny Plasma to embrace this beauty (This week or next). My heart already knows this will be #1. I haven't even played it yet, it already fills me with joy and warm fuzziness whenever I hear Journey or see it.

2. Borderlands 2 ; What a great job Gearbox did. Listened to the community, went hard at fixing the game and making it a blast to play in the sequel. The funny moments really stood out and game never felt boring. Even on your 3rd play-through you will still have a smile from the one liners spoken.

3. Sleeping Dogs ; Very good game. Pace was never a con for this game. It was set-up very fluidly. Game hit the right amount on everything that is required for the "Sandbox" experience, only reason it is not #1 is due to Journey going above and beyond SD in scope, but for a first effort it's one hell of a dark horse, if a sequel, it should be a standout title and be GOTY again

4. Sound Shapes ; FUCK YOU! Death Mode. OK, now that is out of the way, what a cool sound induced gameplay that you have to get by playing. You can't truly put it into words or describe it fully, you just have to play it and enjoy it for what it is.

5. Darksiders 2 ; Ah a true sequel. Picks up where we left off story-wise. The musical ambiance that accompanies the lush fields or hollow caves or the deathly halls of a castle really make you feel like Death going through a place he might have roamed if he ever needed to roam.

6. Unit 13 ; Sleeper Hit for the Vita, a true killer app for it. Wow what Unit 13 could have been if Zipper didn't drop the ball on the Socom franchise and invested and showed more of Unit 13

7. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale ; Be it a Super Smash Brothers Clone, I enjoy that I get to play it on my system with Nostalgia overload. The Single Player campaign is grindy and very time-sink oriented (the storyline are vague and don't make sense really). The real fun is the MP. Be it the Vita or the PS3 version, if you are a loyal Sony fanboy, you can't go wrong with this

8. Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault ; Even it's a former shell of itself, the morsel of it still shines bright. The game hits all the strides necessary to keep you entertained and your time playing it. Only problem is that it's too short and not long enough.

9. Gravity Rush ; A lovely nice edition which tries to and succeeds at time on the Vita. The mechanics of the game take a little bit to learn, but overall the presentation makes it a true exclusive for the Vita

10. The Darkness II ; Love the comic book style presentation and the Quad-Wield aspect of the game. It really felt like a comic book come to life. It did get a little long by adding in filler (which wasn't necessary), but that comes with the territory if your going for a comic book'esque' video game

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Honestly I did not play a lot of games this year... Was maybe around 15 games so My top 10 is probably going to look shitty compared to some of you guys who have played far more deserving games, however I will say that my Top 3 is in my opinion, very deserving, despite the majority gaf Opinion... I actually struggled to decide which was my number 1 between the top 3 because they all represented my biggest highlights of the year...

1: Mass Effect 3: Ultimately, I decided to go with the game that I feel I got the most satisfaction out of (and ultimately closure). Lets just get the obvious out of the way. The ending disappointed me as it did everyone else, but I absolutely loved everything else about the game (and have not even gotten to my Insanity run yet). The ending couldn't ruin the other 90+ hours (of that character, not including my unfinished play through of a second character). Story was for the most part solid, dialogue was great, the best characters got appropriate send offs
Mordin!
and there were arguably some extremely tough decisions for my character
Siding with Tali and her kind and ultimately killing Legion in the process!
. When it comes down to it, the end of the saga might have some sway over this decision considering the other choices I have in my top 3, but I feel like this satisfying conclusion was the best experience I had this year. Certainly the most memorable because of the overall experience.

2:Borderlands 2: I think if it wasn't for the culmination of the Mass Effect saga, this game would probably have taken the title. I am a self professed loot whore fanatic(as will be evident by other choices in my top 10). The original borderlands was a pleasant surprise(and one of the only games I have ever double dipped on 360/PC) and BL2 just made the entire package so much better. Dialogue was funnier, story was better(and surprisingly dark... ) and the gunplay was fantastic (although I think i preferred some weapon designs of the first title). If Borderlands was the prototype, BL2, was definitely the finished product. Everything about it was just infinitely superior, and it is very rare that I enjoy the dozens of side quests in a game like this MORE than the main quest line. Kudos to Gearbox. BL3 will be another Day 1 purchase whenever that may happen!

3:Diablo 3: If I were voting based on sheer amount of time spent in a game this year, Diablo 3 would have been my vote. Like I said, it was a tough decision with my top 3. Continuing on with my Loot Whoring obsession, Diablo 3 in my opinion nailed it (until Inferno at least). Nearly 200 hours, several characters, and still the occasional urge to boot it up again just to see what the patches have done to the game. In my opinion playing up to 60 was the end game for me. There is no denying that Inferno was broken when it came to loot drops, but I don't fault the AH. I rarely used it before inferno if at all and when it comes down to it... someone is finding the items to put up in AH... why shouldn't I be able to as well? I guess I am just more patient than the majority. Through Hell, i treated the game like any other diablo game, and thats where I spent the majority of my time. I still plan on completing Inferno eventually, probably when i cap my DH, but I think I definitely got my moneys worth and thensome.

4: NFS: Most Wanted: I am not a big fan of racing games, with some exceptions. I Love Arcade racers (F-zero for instance). The less realistic the better it is to me. I hadn't played a burnout game till Paradise, and not knowing exactly what to expect, the two things I did know was Open world (not a fan) and Realistic locations/vehicles (uh oh), but to my surprise I loved all of the mechanics of the game and it was one of the most arcade centric racers I have ever played. I don't want another racing game unless its Open world(well... a new F-zero would work as well)! Most Wanted scratched that itch of an open world arcade experience and while it didn't really focus as much on the stunts of BP which I absolutely loved (although the online component was great, and focused on the more gamey side of things), the overall feel of the game got me excited for future Criterion titles, but I would be lying if I said I would want Most Wanted 2 over BP2. Please Criterion... let us know whats going on with BP2!

5:Walking Dead: Surprise of the Year #1 for me. I never knew what The Walking Dead was before the show, but I have been hooked on it since, and have been catching up with the comics. I didn't expect much from the Telltale adventure but I heard rave reviews from it and got it on the cheap. I am glad I did. This is by far the best story based experience I had this year. While any actual game play is essentially broken down into its most basic foundations, I think the timing mechanic for choices was fantastic, and just the twists made for an unforgettable experience. I think the story falls just short of the greatness that is Planescape: Torment. I wish the game had more "game" to it though. Otherwise it was a fantastic interactive experience that I look forward to season 2 of.

6:Giana Sisters: Twisted DreamSurprise of the Year #2! This game came out of no where. Picked it up on the cheap from steam sales last week and have been pleasantly surprised by the oldschool feel of it. I haven't played a platformer this good in some time now and it looks FANTASTIC! Maybe not Trine good, but its up there. I haven't beaten the game yet, so it might even move up a notch or 2 but I look forward to playing it more.

7:Torchlight 2Again, Loot Whoring... there isn't much more to say about it. It is a genre I absolutely love and the changes that Runic made to the originals formula are fantastic, however I there is one thing I just can't get over and that is how the combat feels in comparison to Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 has a better overall Loot and skill system, but I was never very satisfied with how combat felt in comparison to Diablo 3, and perhaps that has to do with the characters I played (Engineer and Embermage) more than anything else. Good game none the less, and I look forward to spending more time in it when TorchED 2.0 releases.

8:CoD: Black Ops 2: What is there to really say about another CoD game? I love the feel of the weapons, the Pick 10 systems is pretty solid as I have been finding that this is the most diverse I have played a CoD game in some time, and the campaign was surprisingly decent with its "choices". Treyarch has certainly stepped it up when it comes to this franchise.

9:Halo 4: A part of me actually enjoyed halo 4's multiplayer more than Blops 2, but the more I play of Halo 4, the more I realize I just don't enjoy the mechanics as much. Don't get me wrong, I think Halo 4 represents the best multiplayer the series has seen in some time but I simply enjoy the gun play in CoD more. I have never been a huge fan of the weapons in Halo, but I like the new game modes like Regicide and the ordinance drops and weapon layouts on maps are nice. The campaign was underwhelming however.

10:SSX: This one falls in line with my love for arcade racers, and some nostalgia for SSX 3. While I hated many of the gimmicks with the deadly descents, the overall game felt very SSX to me. I loved the Geotag element, again going back to my Loot Whoring fetish and while I was disappointed there was no true racing mode, the time attacks vs others kept me busy for dozens of hours. (i should add I have not tried the newr content that supposedly added real time racing...)

Other title's i played this year that missed the cut:
Hard Reset
Quantum Conundrum
Guardians of Middle Earth
PoE(Not officially released so it doens't deserve GOTY accolades, but ill give it an honorable mention because its good)
Nexuiz
Also have Saints Row 3 still awaiting to be played... sadly that won't happen by the time voting is done.

This was mostly a Catching up year for me.
most games on this list suffer from Collectothon homework assignments, and unnecassary cutscene/quicktime events, but it was an incredible year no doubt:

1. FarCry 3 - Thank you Crytek, you have nailed the formula, and i hope you stick with this into the next gen. The tropical settings, the incredible intro, and the best shooting mechanics in a first person ever. Far Cry 4 will suffer if it is a collect-othon, however as far as I am concerned no one comes close to this kind of immersion in an FPS, and I have played them all this gen. I played with the audio off too, not sure how much that changes things, but good lord did it put me into the world.

2. Disnhonored - It puts you into a world that is reminds me of Bioshock in how it is told. This is a "sandbox" stealth game with super natural elements. It's a gamers wet dream on paper and plays beautifully. Ai can be a bit retarded though

3. Halo 4 - The boots to fill were huge, and they hit it out of the park. It's the best of halo put into a blender, and I dont think many people gamers could be pissed about that.

4. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Much like the guys at Crytek - You can tell this is a game made by the fans of the genre. This series deserves so much more credit and recognition for what it has produced. Top notch, and if given a proper budget - mother of god.

5. ZombiU - For as much crap as the Wii U gets on this forum, the graphics are pretty damn stellar and the lighting matches the atomsphere beautiful. Love the survival horror elements, and hope more games take notes on what this game does right.

6. LittleBigPlanet Vita - It saddens me about the hate for vita. Playing LittlebigPlanet 2 while I am taking the train makes the shittiest ride awesome.

7. Gravity Rush - So damn creative in the gameplay, and the presentation is awesome. And I can take a dump while I play - Fuck yeah! (also: see 6.)

8. Twisted Metal - Ironically, I mentioned this as one of the biggest disappointments of 2012 as well, but this is the twisted metal I remember as a kid growing up - less the amazing character story lines and somewhat odd themes racing levels. They really, really dropped the ball on that one. Sweet Tooth is great, but way too much focus. If they crafted Twisted Metal in the likes of 2, I think this could of had Action Game of the Year potential.

Also - Outside of Twisted Metal, most of the games on this list, as well as many other AAA's this year all suffer from them being WAY too easy, and all games were played on their most difficult setting.
If Dota 2 was allowed then it would be top by a massive margin, I haven't had loadsa time this year and still working my way through a lot but as of now here goes:

1. Mark of the Ninja
- Blew me away in all aspects. Loved the mechanics and wanted to keep playing through.

2. Walking Dead
- Gripped and Terrified and Grossed out.

3. Far Cry 3
- So much to do and explore, love the bow & arrow and the voice actor for the bad guy is tremendous.

4. Halo 4
- Love Halo, love this and it's stunning to look at.

5. XCOM
- Filled a void for me, fantastic game I keep coming back to.

6. Diablo 3
- I was engrossed and ripped through it with my bad ass.

7. Forza Horizon
- Forza + More Fun + Pretty, loved it.

8. SSX
- Dusted off my combo skills again and it felt good.

9. Sine Mora
- A fantastic really exciting shooter.

10. Rayman Origins
- Gorgous platformer full of personality
Come on guys. Come on.

Alastor

1. Diablo III ; Yes, this was an initial dissapointment, mostly due to the restricting nature of always-online DRM and the lack of balance. But I sticked with it because of the addicting gameplay, and - between all the characters - clocked around 250 hours in this one. Killing hordes of demons never been so fun and rewarding, even if loot is still mostly garbage.

2. Tribes: Ascend ; I never thought that an online FPS can pull me back to the days of the first Unreal Tournament and Quake 3: Arena, when I actually could play competitive online and do NOT suck. The scale is a little too small (I'd like bigger maps and bigger player count), but again, the gameplay is polished and rewarding. Yeah, you will die a lot in the beginning and barely hit anyone, but give it some time and your enemies will be the one cursing "Shazbot!".

3. Binary Domain ; that was a suprise! One of the few cover shooters I played to completion and enjoyed.

4. The Darkness II ; very underappreciated game. Tentacles provide a great twist to the standard FPS gameplay, story is actually good and worth following, and overall package is just very stylish. But I still think I liked the first game a little more...

5. Botanicula ; Very funny, cheerful point-and-click game, that will undoubtedly light up your mood if you give it a chance.

6. The Walking Dead ; I appreciate what Telltale tried to do here - I loved the characters and the story - but the actual gameplay needs a lot of work. I would also like for my choices to actually matter in the second season.

7. Dikembe Mutombo’s 4½ weeks to save the world ; the most ridiculous game I've played this year. Wait, no... all years. Mutombo and his hilarious sidekicks deserve their own cartoon, Black Dynamite quality.

8. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Enhanced Edition) (PC/X360) ; like with the first Witcher's EE, this version improves the game in all aspects, fixing the bugs and adding a lot of new stuff. Game is even more amazing, probably the best 3D WRPG I've ever played.

9. Alan Wake (PC) ; Great port of a great game, the atmosphere in this one is something to behold. It's not higher because of how long it took Remedy to release it.

10. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) (a.k.a. Durante Edition) ; the game itself in one of this gen' gems, but the PC version deserves no more than 10th place, because it's the definition of a rush job. All the credits go to Durante and the rest of the modders. I also can't put it into words, but I just like it less than Demon's Souls. Maybe because it's just a follow-up, without the feeling of innovation that the first game brought.

Corto

Depends on the person, but from an "official" point of view, yes, it's fine. If you played 10 hours of XCOM and it was the best 10 hours of a game you played this year, no reason not to vote for it.

Objection! Counselor is directing the witness.
joking! And Xcom deserves it

BeesEight

Gaf usually has parity with the media outlets on these issues which isn't surprising since this voting is basically a popularity contest and the media generally picks the most mainstream and most popular games of the year. Their coverage often encourages people to try games out as well, increasing the player base for those titles by their own work. Thus, those games that are played by the most people will stand the greatest chance to win the vote.

Gaf will often prop up the odd title that's overlooked by most places, though, and actually going through the thread you can find some interesting titles that might not otherwise be covered elsewhere.

Reave

1. Halo 4 ; To take over a first class franchise in Halo, maintain all that it does right and improve its few weaknesses -- all while successfully introducing better narrative along with brand new modes, gameplay elements and enemy types -- is worthy of endless praise. Halo 4 never wavers on what it's trying to be, which is emphatically Halo; and in an age of gaming when developers are more prone than ever to misuse and misrepresent their established franchises, it's refreshing to see one of our favorites stay the course.

2. The Walking Dead ; The Walking Dead captures the signature emotion, chaos, clashes and life-altering choices better than any other outlet of the franchise.

3. Mass Effect 3 ; The red, blue and green stains BioWare doused all over the original endings didn't wash away when we received the Extended Cut DLC, but they succeeded at giving us most of the answers we deserved without compromising their creative integrity. It wasn't the perfect solution, as I'm sure you'll hear from the irreparably scorned Mass Effect fanbase, but it did enough to make the destination worth the journey -- a journey that was already good enough on its own.

4. Resident Evil 6 ; Resident Evil 6 is easily the most expansive game in the series, offering four unique experiences that each harness a vastly different style of gameplay. While some of these flavors admittedly compromise the identity of the series, Resident Evil 6 remains a bombastic, edge-of-your-seat thriller that quietly houses some of the franchise's greatest moments.

5. Assassin's Creed III ; Assassin's Creed III is a slow burn that beckons one's patience and rewards it with incredible depth once the foundation it lays leads to fruition.

6. Call of Duty: Black Ops II ; There’s only so much dirt one can kick on a Call of Duty that finally took a stab at being different. Some of Treyarch’s ideas missed the mark, but some of them will help the Call of Duty series a great deal. “Effort” might not be proper review criteria, but in this case, it should be. It’s great to see Call of Duty show a pulse of creativity again, even if the core experience remains untouched.

7. SSX ; SSX's return to the slopes dazzled longtime fans with the same style, sass and satisfaction that the franchise always provided -- refusing to show any wear and tear from its five year hiatus by injecting unique current-gen functionality into the perfectly preserved nature of the series' roots.

8. NBA 2k13 ; I’ve never played a sports game (including past NBA 2k games) that looked, felt and sounded this real. No mode, no matter how redundant or lackadaisical it is, can take away from that excellence. NBA 2k13 might not be the best all-around sports game on the market, but what it does best is what counts the most.

9. Hotline Miami ; You're so sexy when you frustrate me.

10. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (360) ; The Witcher 2 was no doubt a rigid gameplay experience for novices of the series. The tutorial sequences won't comfort you with its numerous nuances, nor will the story. That alone is enough to understand why the Xbox 360 version failed to hold the community's interest. But, The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings - Enhanced Edition quietly became one of the greatest console experiences of 2012.

2011. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Seda

I swear people are posting their top ten in an incorrect format on purpose.

EDIT:

From the first page alone (100ppp), will any of these be counted?

I didnt play many games this year, at least not many 2012 releases, but I will name my number 1 anyways:

1.Borderlands 2 : I'm having a blast playing co-op with my SO. So much fun, love the leve design. My main gripe is that usually story line dialogue happens when something is about to kill me, so I cant pay attention to the text, but other then that, I'm in love!
2. Tokyo Jungle

1. Borderlands 2
2. Dishonored
3. Sleeping Dogs
4. Far Cry 3
5. Dear Esther
6. Mass Effect 3
7. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
8. Syndicate
9. Kingdoms of Amalur
10. FTL
x. Max payne 3
2011. Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

1. Journey My personal GOTY, unique experience
2. Sound Shapes great overlooked platformer
3. Gravity Rush Kat is sexy
4. DOA5 underappreciated 3D fighter
5. Uncharted Golden Abyss Better than UC1
6. Borderlands 2 best shooter of the year
7. The Unfinished Swan Short but sweet
8. The Walking Dead great game
9. Mutant Blobs good platformer
10. Papo&Yo special game

My current list (will be updating):

1. The Walking Dead ;
walking_dead_zps9cd2fede.png

2. Mark of the Ninja ;
mark_of_the_ninja_zps48f7b201.png

3. ZombiU ;
zombiu_zps4715505c.png

4. Dishonored ;
dishonored_zps9c71f2d7.png

5. New Super Mario Bros. U ;
nsmbu_zpsbe00395a.png

6. Journey ;
journey_zps4205442c.png

7. Sleeping Dogs ;
sleepy_dogs_zps89acab36.png

8. Resident Evil: Revelations ;
revelaitons_zps4b228b06.png

9. Max Payne 3 ;
max_payne_zps6915e847.png

10. Assassin's Creed III ;
assassins_creed_3_zps7f36d72b.png

2011. Rayman Origins
rayman_origins_zps82b917d8.png

1. Max Payne 3: An incredible campaign with a superb ending that led you from interesting locale to interesting locale. Gameplay plays great, looks beautiful and the euphoria engine shines. The AI is top notch on even the normal difficulty. It's sets a bar for it's campaign that all shooters should look for.

2. Halo 4: A fine campaign with a fantastic multiplayer. While 343 doesn't reinvent the wheel, it simply does each component well. Some mechanics hold it back but 343 knocked the majority of it's gameplay mechanics out of the park. While story was well-crafted, the multiplayer is where it hit homes. Halo 4 reaffirms why the Halo series is one of the king's of multiplayer.

I wish I could add more but IMO, none of them would reach a top 10 or should be nominated for a GOTY. Global Offensive was okay. NHL 13 certainly isn't a GOTY. I'll edit my post as I play games over Christmas but it was a bleak year for me.

jUSXajs9z0hOu.jpg

1 The Walking Dead - Only game to ever make me cry.

2 Journey - Great experience all around. It's emotional without a single word of spoken dialog.

3 Mass Effect 3 - A vague ending didn't sour my experience on this great little game.

4 Far Cry 3 - Not so much Skyrim with guns. I have that mod on Skyrim XD. It did a much better job with Assassassin's Creed game mechanics then the last AC game.

5 Halo 4 - I've never been much of a Halo guy. Only played the single-player and loved it.

6 Dishonored Deus Ex meets BioShock meets Thief meets Half-Life meets my wallet.

7 XCOM Enemy Unkown One of the most fresh games this year.

8 Asura's Wrath "Over the Top" the game.

9 Spec Ops: The Line Really memorable story in a fairly standard shooter

10 FTL

1-Xenoblade Chronicles: Best JRPG of this gen, what a great ride.
2-Resident Evil Revelations: Best RE game since RE4. This game put both RE5 & RE6 to shame
3-ZombiU: Horror genre back to the map. Hard and entertaining.
4-Call of Duty: Black Ops 2: what a suprised. I was so tired of CoD games. I skipped 3 games until this one. Well done and MP is rock solid.
5- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: I love this underrated game. Fast, deadly and with a fun MP.

Edit: I don't have 10 games for this. Does my list still count?

1. Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss DLC: The Artorias fight itself was awesome and I probably helped 100 people defeat the dragon. A few hours in Dark Souls was better than any other game released this year.

2. Halo 4; the only new game released this year with an ending that I completed. As high quality as any Halo title and I loved most of the visual design. Story was kind of dumb.

3. Borderlands 2; a solid game, usually fun. I only played about 20 hours so far and all of it co-op. Need to find more time to play.

4. Uncharted: Golden Abyss; nothing extraordinary just a fun take on the formula and a good way to break in the Vita. Not yet actually finished and probably will over the holiday. I tend to play this when I travel.

More to come maybe. This year was all about the back log + Dark Souls. I also played Demon Souls for the first time this year which consumed many hours.

I'm going to premise this with the following: As Xenoblade was my GOTY last year I've decided not to be redundant and put it here again, because I'm sure people are tired of me lashing it with tongue baths as is.

1) Atelier Meruru – PS3 (US)
Atelier Meruru may not be quite as amazing as last year’s Atelier Totori was, but it borrows all of the right ingredients I loved about its predecessor’s gameplay and does nice things with it. A lovely aesthetic and wonderful music (the one area where it does surpass Totori IMO), and a new mechanic that allows you to build structures with various activity/stat bonuses in any order (assuming you have the Development Points) keeps things fresh. Additionally, it makes triggering specific flags for characters scenes more forgiving, allowing you to trigger them by being in a nearby area rather than in the precise area. A fine way to close out the Arland trilogy. Patiently awaiting Atelier Ayesha.

2) Katawa Shoujo (PC)
For me, this visual novel came completely out of nowhere and blew me away. I was not expecting to like this game at all based on its origins and premise, and would never have tried it if it weren’t free and highly recommended by trusted Gaffers. What I found was a touching story with very three dimensional characters presented with a lot of love, care, and above all, taste. It really treats is subject matter respectfully but is never heavy-handed in its presentation. What could have easily turned into a distasteful wank game that treats disabilities as a fetish was instead a story of growing up, finding love, and learning to accept one’s self and the cards they’ve been dealt in their lives.

3) Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Nintendo revisited an IP they haven’t touched in over twenty years and delivered a remarkable reintroduction to the characters of Pit and Palutena. The game features the most incredible difficulty scaler I’ve seen in a videogame that actually encouraged me to get better and better with each play-through. Combined with the best 3D visuals I’ve seen on the platform, an INCREDIBLE musical score (OST of the year by far), and quirky humor, this had Game of the Year potential from the get go. The only reason it isn’t is because of the controls. I got used to them, sure, but this is a game who’s planning was clearly designed for (and confirmed in an Iwata Asks segment later on) the Wii. Pointer controls and this game would have been as perfect as it could possibly be.

And again, dat OST!!!

4) Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
I’ve been a fan of Zero Punctuation pretty much since the beginning, even when he’s completely bashed games I love to death. But this was the first game I ever bought because of a Zero Punctuation review. Spec Ops: The Line may be the most important game released this year, a profound examination of the Hero paradigm as presented in nearly every videogame and a harsh condemnation of the Modern War shooters that have taken over the market. Green lighting this game took balls of steel, and I congratulate Take Two games and Yaeger studios for making it. The game itself is only ho hum, but the story, oh the story.

5) Hatsune Miku and Future Stars (3DS)
I’m not going to convince anyone here this is a good game. And largely, it isn’t. But it’s the most adorable game I’ve ever played, and for me, that counts for quite a lot. I wasn’t intending on buying a Japanese 3DS, but for this game’s cuteness, it was worth it. But I’d never recommend it to anyone else here on GAF. Unless they had a Japanese 3DS. And loved cute. A lot. Yes.

6) The Last Story (Wii)
The Last Story is a very interesting counterpoint to Xenoblade, my Game of 2011. Where Xenoblade was huge, epic, expansive, and overflowing with stuff to do, The Last Story is considerably shorter, but more personable. The game tries to make its one location (Lazulis Island) filled with life and personality, and does a fairly decent job in that. The battle system is more complex than Xenoblade’s and requires more thought about where you fight and how to use the environment around you, though this comes at the cost of nearly every battle being a scripted affair. The music is quite good, but not quite as memorable as Nobuo Uematsu’s peak efforts. Frame-rate problems can be distracting as well. But despite its flaws, The Last Story has an irresistible charm that kept me playing until the very end.

7) Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (3DS)
This was a difficult one to rate. Like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword last year, I wanted to rank this one much higher. It was a great follow up to 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors, one of my all time favorite visual novels. The characters were enjoyable, the story was intriguing (and still is), and the puzzles were hard. But like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, it has a bug. A major bug, one that’s actually worse than Zelda’s (because Zelda’s was eventually patched), that can completely corrupt one’s save file on the 3DS and force the player to start over. There’s simply no excuse for it, especially considering the length of the game (around forty hours). While it is avoidable if you follow this guide, where Zelda fell from 3 to 6 in my rankings last year, Virtue’s Last Reward falls from 2 to 7. If you have a Vita, however, it does not have this problem and it’s the best game on that platform (but do play 999 first). But I have a 3DS, and while I never fell victim to the bug it was frustrating constantly thinking about it as I played, and others have felt its impact.

8) New Super Mario Bros. U (Super Wii)
While I didn’t hate New Super Mario Bros. 2 as much as some of my friends did, I definitely preferred Mario’s debut on Super Wii more. The levels felt more carefully designed, the controls felt a bit more spot on, and I like the Squirrel Suit’s unique take on flight in a Mario game. I love the return to the Super Mario World style map, and Miiverse integration. But the lack of ability to play with a Super Wii Gamepad in multiplayer is an odd omission, as is no Pro Controller support.

9) Tales of Graces f (PS3)
While many people complain about the slow beginning where you play as the main cast when they were younger, I felt this really helped the story tremendously by providing proper context for the tale that later unfolded. Combined with the best battle system the Tales of series has seen, and it's a winner!

10) Resident Evil: Revelaitons (3DS, misspell intentional)

I really wish we could retroactively go back in time and name this Resident Evil 6. While it definitely has some flaws, it’s much more true to the spirit of the series and is just a much better game overall. Despite the story feeling disjointed at times, I much prefer the slower pace and scary atmosphere presented here than the actual Resident Evil 6.

HM) ZombiU (Super Wii)

ZombiU reminds me a lot of the first Assassin’s Creed. Not that they share anything in common as games aside from being developed by Ubisoft, but that they made me feel the same way. When I played the first Assassin’s Creed this year, my feeling was “An interesting idea, but it needs another game to really work out the kinks, which is probably why Assassin’s Creed 2 was so well received.” The same applies to ZombiU. There’s a fantastic concept here, and incredible potential for a new survival horror franchise that actually involves scares and survival. But it needs another go to build off of this starting template and fix some of the clumsiness of the execution. Assuming Ubisoft is willing to do for ZombiU what they did for Assassin’s Creed, ZombiU2 (snirk) could be an incredible game.

1. Mass Effect 3 - I didn't even imagine the ending was considered "bad" by some until I read it on Gaf. The game oozes quality, from the visuals, to the OST and refined gameplay. I felt like it was a more than fitting conclusion to the epic series.

2. X-Com Enemy Unknown
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Torchlight II
5. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
6. Closure
7. Rayman Origins
8. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
9. Sine Mora

1. Binary Domain
  2. New Super Mario Bros. 2
  3. New Super Mario Bros. U
  4. Nintendo Land
  5. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  6. Trine 2: Director's Cut
  7. Planetside 2
  8. The Secret World
2011: Minecraft

1. Guild Wars 2
It has to be this game. It is quite simply, the most brave persistent online world I have seen since Star Wars Galaxies, almost a decade ago. But unlike that game, GW2 is exceptional. It's not without flaws, and like all great online games it's best played with good people.

2. Planetside 2
The game has done, what people said couldn't be done. They have created a real feeling of war in a computergame. PS2 only scratches the surface of what MMOFPS games can become, but for now - its guuuud.

3. Max Payne 3
I felt his plight, and his payne. It's not all bald Max. There is still New York Max in there, and that part is great too.

4. Hotline Miami
Jesus:O

5. Sleeping Dogs
Cute overworld game. The next game needs to opt the anty but it was a good tryout. Martial Arts elements save it from being boring.

1.- Max Payne 3. - Liked the character, the settings, the visuals, the mechanics... Liked it a lot.
2.- Metal Gear Solid 3 - 3DS.- I had never played it before. it is now one of my all time favorites...
3.- FIFA 13.- Incredible gameplay which is all that matters...

I've played next to nothing current this year...but I did play

1 - The Walking Dead and it deserves a vote here.

edit - thanks guy after me OP

1 - The Walking Dead: A few have tried, but Telltale has really nailed the episodic structure for games (not even Valve could do it right somewhat). But that's not the point. What it did was provide such a rich story that is so brilliant. And for someone who hasn't watched the TV show or read the comics, it really is something brilliant.

2 - Journey
3 - Mass Effect 3
4 - Forza Horizon
5 - Trials Evolution
6 - Max Payne 3
7 - Sleeping Dogs
8 - Call of Duty Black Ops 2
9 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
10 - Gravity Rush
x - Far Cry 3
x - Halo 4

I'll come back to this to add more comments when/if I get a chance.

1. Kid Icarus Uprising - Absolutely incredible game, in my top 3 games of all time. The characters, the gameplay, the multiplayer, the acheivements, the 3D. Gorgeous game that everyone should play.

2. Gravity Rush - I love Kat so much. In a normal year this game would probably easily get my vote for GOTY, but KI:U is so incredible. Feels like an Anime and plays like nothing I've ever played before. It has lackluster moments, but the overall experience makes me forget them instantly.

3. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - I recently finished this game. Oh my god. What an experience, just an amazing story.

4. Playstation All Stars Battle Royale - This game is so fun with friends, just a blast. I'm happy that Sony has their own Smash-type game and I feel it works so fluidly. The singleplayer is alright, but I feel the years of play time I'll have with this until the sequel (or at least the next smash) make it deserve this No. 4 spot.

5. Resident Evil: Revelations - I almost forgot about this one! Fun little game which really shows off the 3DS' muscle and ability to create suspenseful envioronments

6. The Walking Dead - Ehhh. It's my Number 6. I didn't get the overwhelming hype for this game, it's great, but it's not AMAZING.

7. Rayman Origins - Fun little platformer. Good game, but the swimming sections bored me to tears. I'm also not a fan of not being punished for my deaths.

8. Rhythm Theif and the Emperor's Tresure - Nice characters, medium game. I'm happy to put it on my list.

9. Pokemon Black/White 2 - Same pokemon formula with a little less class. It feels like the worst pokemon game, which still makes it a fun distraction.

10. Wipeout 2048 - I'm not sure if I actually enjoyed this one, but I've spent quite a few hours playing it so there must be something to it.

2011 LTTP
Zelda Skyward Sword - What an incredible game

Glad I can mention a few. As I never can settle on only one GOTY.

Dragon's Dogma - The sense of adventure, warped story at the end, and variety in gameplay make it a hard one to top for me. Love it.

Far Cry 3 - It's like like playing a game like Uncharted in first person, only you are allowed to go off in to an open world full of danger and do what you want. Super fun game.

Journey - More than a game for me. It makes me think about the trials, tribulations and beauty that can be discovered on the journey of life. It also made me a firm believer in quality over quantity, despite the fact that I still love my big, open world games.

Dishonored - Have to mention this for the sheer variety in gameplay, and the immaculate first person perspective it offers. An amazing game that very much deserves to be in the conversation.

1. Max Payne 3 - As a hardcore fan of the originals back when they both first released, I'm one of the very few that believe R* really hit it out of the park in terms of taking Max into their own hands and crafting their own unique vision for him. It's the best looking and most fun TPS I've ever played, the acting is superb and the soundtrack is phenonmenal.

2. Sleeping Dogs - It completely caught me off guard, but once I heard most of the team was behind making R*'s "Bully" I was onboard completely. The corrupted world of Wei Shen sucked me right in and became the third Platinum trophy I've ever obtained, along with setting world records to certain missions. It was a perfect way to end the summer.

3. Binary Domain - My first jump into Nagoshi territory and what a blast this turned out to be. A perfect example of under the radar sci fi goodness that was missed by too many and played by too few.

4. Lollipop Chainsaw - I've been a Suda fan since Killer7 and his games have never once disappointed me. LC was so refreshing and the 90ish satirical look at the zombie apocalypse through the eyes of a truly out of the ordinary female lead was a great change of pace.

1.) World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - Their best expansion yet.
2.) Mass Effect 3 - What a great game, so much complaining about the end *shrugs*.
3.) Borderlands 2 - best cel shade game ever, loads of fun.
4.) Halo 4 - most graphically impressive game of the year.
5.) Diablo 3 - loved it until I found I had to buy my loot.
6.) The Walking Dead - Best Tell Tale game yet.
7.) XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Fun but brutal.
8.) Dishonored - Surprised by it so far.
9.) Mark of the Ninja - Best downloadable game of the year by far.
10.) Dust An Elysian Tale - Really impressive for one guy to have done.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Don't call it a comeback. I've been filling Mutons with hot plasma for years.
This is how you modernize a beloved series and not alienate the original fanbase.
Even the completely secondary multiplayer is thoroughly enjoyable. G.O.T.Y.

Mark of the Ninja
So, you want to be a ninja you say? Don't believe the Ryu Hayabusa hype!
Here's how it really goes, if they see you, you're already dead.

Soul Calibur 5
An epic return to form. Great Netcode, Expansive character editor, excellent offline and online.
Marred only by the overly expensive and prematurely truncated editor DLC.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
A fitting end to this Tekken cycle, here's everyone, playable in every way, from everywhere.
Bonus points for the huge FU to paid DLC by Harada.

Sine Mora
Here's an indy doing it all right. Even the subtitled Hungarian adds to the narrative oddity.
Since Konami doesn't seem to care about Gradius any more, here's the next best thing.

Kinect Party
Fun, distilled, and free for a limited time.

One of the worst years in gaming for me, personally..

1. THEATRHYTHM: Final Fantasy - Favorite aspect of any game is it's music (when it's good). Majority of my favorite tunes over the years have come from Nobuo. This was a no-brainer purchase and in fact the reason I purchased a 3DS this year. 70+ hours later and all the DLC purchased, it's also a no-brainer GOTY for me.
2. Borderlands 2 - More Borderlands. More variety of environments. More personality. Had it just been more of the same, it probably still would have been my #2 GOTY.
3. Mutant Mudds - One of the most satisfying feelings I had all year was when I finally completed a stage I'd been attempting to beat ~50 times prior. Only to repeat the process for the next stage.
4. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - Best combat in the entire series. And once you get the hang of all the other "systems," it becomes far more entertaining.
5. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - I really just feel like I need to at least make a top 5 for this year. And even though this was more of the same and was 100%'d within a week (never got a million coins though), it was still a lot of fun.

LTTP: Super Mario 3D Land

Seda

A Human Becoming has been harping on people the whole thread to get the formatting right. There are a lot of ballots that I don't think will be counted. Looks like you have to use a semi-colon and comments have to be in the same line as the game title, and and there has to be at least one of those comments.

A Human Becoming has been harping on people the whole thread to get the formatting right. There are a lot of ballots that I don't think will be counted. Looks like you have to use a semi-colon and comments have to be in the same line as the game title, and and there has to be at least one of those comments.

Just want to point out

Please follow this format as closely as possible. This lets us avoid significant problems with the parser.

1. Game A ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Game B ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Game E ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.
x. Game K ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game K.
x. Game L ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game L.

Please follow format as closely as possible doesn't mean follow this exactly. So if it needs to be exact, maybe update the OP and there won't be so many blunders.

That being said, I will update mine to be "exact"

Necron

I played a lot of GAF’s controversial games this year – from Resident Evil 6 and Max Payne 3, to Mass Effect 3 and Final Fantasy XIII-2. Some people hated these games, others loved them. Many have glaring issues and faults in many different areas (pacing, repetitiveness, control, bad writing, emphasis on QTEs, cutscenes etc.). Overall I think last year was a lot better and this list was difficult to put together. Regardless of opinion, here are my top 10 of 2012. Hope the formatting is correct and I'm sorry for any English mistakes that I might have made.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles ; great story, great characters and a fantastic world to explore. One of the best JRPG's this generation and another pearl in Wii's catalogue. The only negative point (and it's a big one) are the insane amount of fetch/side quests. Quality over quantity would have helped here.
2. The Last Story ; Sakaguchi and his team at Mistwalker show their talent with the city of Lazulis. The city feels like something out of a Legend of Zelda game. The music is not Uematsu's best but there are great tracks to be found here. The great cast of characters made me like the game and disregard its flaws more than I care to admit (horrendous framerate, cliché story twist etc.).
3. Guild Wars 2 ; the game I've invested most of my time in. As a person who has never played an MMO I came into GW2 without any knowledge or expectation. It was difficult and overwhelming to learn at first but I managed in the end. Super fun going into dungeons with your friends and triumphing against insurmountable odds. The seasonal events were really cool and I look forward to what's in store down the road. The voice acting should have been better though - even Nolan North sounds bored.
4. Dishonored ; a great new IP. I hope a sequel improves what has been shown here. Most interesting setting of 2012 full of whale oil, dream sequences and talking hearts.
5. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD ; I love the universe of Oddworld and I'm really glad it's back. Let's hope it's here to stay! Finally being able to play this made me yearn for more Oddworld…
6. Journey ; not much more to add here. It's the best title in the PSN library and a testament that games can be art without being preachy about it. Serves as a lecture in communication as well.
7. Black Mesa ; this took me by surprise because of the quality of this mod. That it even came out is nothing short of impressive. Black Mesa is now so much more detailed than Half-Life 1 and it is better for it.
8. Sound Shapes ; great sound design. Every jump influences the music and there is some great user created content as well.
9. Mass Effect 3 ; sorry GAF, I know some of you really hate this game to the core. Love it or hate it - it was the most talked about game of the year for its controversy. I love the universe and its characters and know that there was a lot of potential here that was squandered mainly due to a lack of development time or other various reasons. Here's to a fresh start with ME4.
10. Final Fantasy XIII-2 ; I really admire what Square-Enix tried to do. The music is nice, the graphics are ok and the focus on two characters helped this time. It's still a bad game for its awful writing, made worse for a weird cliffhanger ending. Nevertheless, I'm still listening to the soundtrack nearly a year later so I guess that counts for something.
x. Dyad ; a great downloadable title that makes me nauseous and dizzy. Fans of Wipeout HD's zone mode should give this a go.
x. Max Payne 3 ; fantastic showcase of physics and bullet time. Let down by repetitive gameplay, story and Max's character.

2011. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; I read the book Deus Ex: Icarus Effect last year and it made me appreciate the game even more. Great universe, great atmosphere, great characters, fantastic soundtrack and an interesting plot. Can't await the sequel!

Duffyside

Banned
Can one order their list with 10 at the top and 1 at the bottom, as long as the rest of the format is followed? I want my list to have suspense (see you at 11:58:59!).

Santiako

1.Dragon's Dogma ; It may not have the rich and dense world of Skyrim or the deep, complex combat of Dark Souls, but this game does a lot of things better. It has a lot of different classes with completely different playstyles, enemies bigger than the screen, great setpieces, a lot of loot, whacko japanese story, weird but great online functions and most of all, it's amazingly fun, thanks to the dinamic and very involving combat. The only downside, and that is a recurring issue this year in big games, is that it's a technical mess.
2.The Walking Dead ; Non-game blahblahblah. It's the first game ever to make me care about the characters, and the first time I've been emotionally affected by one. Amazing job by Telltale, saves issues aside. FEELS
3.Dust: An Elysian Tail ; Beatiful, brilliant, touching. The game manages to be good at exploration, combat, puzzles, dialogs and story. Not only it's an amazing game, but also wins my "most beautiful game of 2012" award.
4.Borderlands 2 ; More Borderlands, bigger, better, and funnier. My most played game of the year.
5.FTL: Faster Than Light ; A perfect mixture of roguelike and space travel. It's simple yet very deep, it makes the hours go by so easily.
6.Hotline Miami ; This game takes you on a trip of psychodelic murdering rampage, and it's great. Worth the spot for the soundtrack alone.
7.Mass Effect 3 ; 95% of the game was amazing, it gave me closure on most things that I needed, but also managed to massively dissapoint me with the ending. The great multiplayer gives the extra push to make this game even better.
8.Spelunky ; Another roguelike, this one makes you accountable for every single mistake you make. A misstep and you are dead.
9.Sleeping Dogs ; Best constructed open word in years. The characters and the story put any GTA to shame. Wei Shen mother.fuckers!
10.Binary Domain ; Big fights, bosses that are a bit too long and quirky japanese characters and setting makes this one of my favourite TPS ever.

Honorable mentions:

x.XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; I haven't played it enough, but if I did, it would easily be in the top 3.
x.Spec Ops: The Line ; Best storytelling in a shooter ever.

Can one order their list with 10 at the top and 1 at the bottom, as long as the rest of the format is followed? I want my list to have suspense (see you at 11:58:59!).

That's fine. Just don't wait 'til the last second.

Also, everyone please stop whining about having to follow a specific format. It's really not that hard. You can copy and paste the template in the OP. Why? So the vote tabulations can be automated, allow for everyone to edit until the end, and for detailed stats to be generated quickly.

If everyone wants to go back to hand-counting and no extra stats beyond the tally, that's fine. Somebody else can do it. Less work for me.

zoku88

Just want to point out

Please follow format as closely as possible doesn't mean follow this exactly.

Well, technically, because of the "as possible" clause, unless you have some keyboard limitation that prevents you from typing semicolons, it's doubtful that anyone who made that mistake followed it "as closely as possible".

Top Bottom