• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2012 - Voting Thread, now closed. Thanks for all the fish.

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED.

How I feel like right now:

3318.gif

What GAF will feel like when the winner is announced:

tumblr_los0o6vL5R1qmpg90o1_400.gif

What, I thought Duffyside was going to post his list at the very last minute. :lol

I dunno if you can order your stuff upside-down like that, can you? Ah, I'm reading your list now.

Augh, I forgot to get around to this. :(

Man, I would not look forward to the results thread for that. No matter the result, some people are going to be irritated with it.

I ended up missing out on Tokyo Jungle and Dyad, myself even though I had every intent to purchase Tokyo Jungle because it looked like such an interesting game.

The arguments on PC games belonging or not and which alone would be glorious.

Anteater

I never participate in these stuff since I don't play nearly enough games, I would probably vote for those 5 games I enjoyed the entire year.

But can't wait for the results!

The following 22 members were disqualified for a lack of comments...

Alchemy
Dabanton
Dami3N
DjRoomba
Dresden
Drinky Crow
highluxury
Jokergrin
kami_sama
Ken Masters
maxcer0081
MrKayle
No_Style
Pinguin
Radec
scoot3r
Skel1ingt0n
Somnia
SquiddyBiscuit
szaromir
TyrantGuardian
weekend_warrior

Probably has to do with the amount of hype there were for so many winter games last year, and just the amazing releases overall. Was last year's voting higher than normal? Seems there weren't the same heavy hitters that delivered this year.

PKrockin

Dammit, just got back from a sudden business trip and didn't get a chance to update my votes. Not like I any had any time so far this month to play NSMBU, Nintendoland, X-com and Paper Mario anyway...

The following 22 members were disqualified for a lack of comments...

Drinky Crow

bwahahaha

Tookay

I'm on Walking Dead Ep 5 right now.

The ending better blow me away to justify this (enjoyable but ultimately braindead) game being on so many GOTY lists and the probable top two.

Otherwise, I think it's a sign we have a problem as a medium.

I'm on Walking Dead Ep 5 right now.

The ending better blow me away to justify this (enjoyable but ultimately braindead) game being on so many GOTY lists and the probable top two.

Otherwise, I think it's a sign we have a problem as a medium.
It probably wont.

It isnt.

Corto

Thanks Cheesemeister and Timetokill for all your work! And thanks everyone for your votes. I read every single post of this thread and found something surprising in all of them. Thank you!

Apdiddy

Dear Esther was way better than Journey though. It actually elicited emotions instead of trying to cheaply prod them out of you.

HEY THIS IS EMOTIONAL RIGHT BE SAD

OKAY BE HAPPY NOW

The thing about Journey is it's completely open to interpretation. How emotional you get depends on your feelings at the present moment (or you could be completely ambivalent throughout the whole game). The game does a better job of creating an illusion that what you do has a direct influence over the action.

Yes, it's harder to not feel something with Dear Esther, but I owe that to the narration and the soundtrack than the visuals (although walking along the island evokes a feeling of dread for me). You basically don't have to do anything.
There were several points in which I wonder if the person I'm controlling is the narrator or someone who stumbled upon the island after the narrator's demise. I tried to off the player controlled character at several points, but the game just wouldn't let me. It wasn't until the ending that I was confirmed otherwise.

Duffyside

Banned
The Walking Dead is going to be the winner. Guarantee it.

In my quick runthrough of counting the first page or two, Walking Dead had a handy lead over Journey. The difference was Walking Dead was appearing in all places on a lot of lists, while Journey was usually ranked either 1 or 2 or not at all. Apparently nobody played Journey and thought "eh, that was a #8 experience."

Never doubt this man:

I predict the closest vote between #1 and #2 in history.

And I predict THE TRUTH will come out on top.

In its ma-fuckin'-scaaaaaarrrrrrf.

ibyD8pRhhmBbc2.gif

I was thinking of making a thread where I suggest people make their top 10 list their homepage for the year (assuming they don't already have one). That's what I do and I was hoping more people did it. It would help me find people with similar tastes (or very different taste if they are making a blind recommendation to me). I get the feeling if I did it would just be ridiculed as asinine lol.

We have wildly different tastes, but a good idea is a good idea.

Yeef

I've been waiting for this thread and wondering when it would be posted. Was it just never on the first page when I checked? Don't see how I could have missed it for a whole month.

televator

So I just played TWD... that ending was the hardest thing to sit through on any medium I've ever consumed. My goodness, that was genuine. Seriously, I was sobbing.

Overall I still don't put it over Journey, but it's easily the second best game of the year IMO. Hell, that final scenes gonna be a weight on me for a while...

Top Bottom