• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmario

My game of the year

Assassin's creed 4

Handheld game of the year

The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds

1. ASSASSIN'S CREED 4 - Big open world, Loads of collectibles, Well made combat systems. All these things charming This title, and it makes fun to exploring.

2. A Link Between worlds - Well-compacted contents as a handheld title, Fast-faced gameplay, Fast-learning curve. game mechanic is easy, deeper and powerful.

3. Grand Theft Auto 5 - Massive Open world, Lots of contents, solid game mechanics. I picked this game as third place. Because after I cleared this game, I feel that GTA V has not very attractive post-cleared contents than I expected.

4. Bioshock Infinite - Fantastic Game mechanics and well-made story. But very few of post-cleared contents.

5. Monster Hunter 4 - Massive amount of contents, More-Action packed Gameplay.(Especially difference of altitute makes game more fun) But still requires too much laboring.

6. Shin megami tensei 4 - Lots of Demons, well-done story, Deeper combat system, all-right field graphic. But uncomfortable worldmap navigating and too much requires laboring is bad thing.

That's all I can say for now.

Stop playing favorites, guys. Everyone's list matters. From the most junior of junior members, to infamous members, to insiders, to devs. We're all one. We're all in this together. WE. ARE. NEOGAF.

http://i.imgur.com/sIiyhF8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm actually reading most people's posts. Seems a lot more people are getting into this this year, myself included honestly. Also, this is the first year I went into this with a pretty solid list more than a day in advance, so that helps :p

My favorite part is still seeing whose choices are closest to mine... and seeing all the games on VJC's list I really should have played first

Redshirt

Banned
1. Dead Rising 3 ; DR3 seems like it had so much stacked against it, but wow, did it deliver. It’s easily the best next-gen launch title, easily the best Dead Rising title and my game of the year.

2. Civilization V: Brave New World ; It really is the best Civ ever. 'Nuff said?

3. Tomb Raider ; Tomb Raider has a lot wrong with it but still manages to be one of the most fun games of the year. A little less Uncharted and a little more classic Tomb Raider and this would be in the running for GOTY.

4. GTA V ; I had to borrow this from a friend because I was waiting on the next-gen version and got tired of the wait. I'll buy it if comes to the Xbox One. This is the GTA we've all been waiting for. I hope VI can deliver on the MP promise.

5. Diablo III ; It's still hard to believe that D3 is actually a better game on the console, but it is. If Blizzard releases an Xbox One version, I'll be buying this game for a third time.

6. The Last of Us ; TLOU is an impressive cinematic experience. I'll never play it again, but I love these characters, and they'll be with me forever.

7. Ryse: Son of Rome ; Ryse is a fun, gorgeous game that sets the stage for a new franchise that actually feels new. It also delivers a fresh take on co-op. Boudica is one of the best characters of the year, and I wouldn’t mind a prequel game based soley around her.

8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ; It's a must-own for any Pac-Mac fan.

9. Saint's Row IV ; While we wait for Crackdown 3, this will do.

10. Forza 5 ; The is the sim driving game of 2013.

Barely played any 2013 games actually. Nevertheless, here's my list...

1. Guacamelee! ; What a pleasant surprise this game was. This is the first game I've ever platinum'd. It had a few rough edges but overall it was a wonderful game.
2. Tearaway ; Absolutely charming through and through.
3. Grand Theft Auto V ; Reinvigorated sandbox games for me. Had an absolute hoot.
4. Gran Turismo 6 ; So much more functional than GT5, love it.
5. Resogun

2012. Journey

Abylim

My game of the year

Assassin's creed 4

Handheld game of the year

The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds

1. ASSASSIN'S CREED 4 - Big open world, Loads of collectibles, Well made combat systems. All these things charming This title, and it makes fun to exploring.

2. A Link Between worlds - Well-compacted contents as a handheld title, Fast-faced gameplay, Fast-learning curve. game mechanic is easy, deeper and powerful.

3. Grand Theft Auto 5 - Massive Open world, Lots of contents, solid game mechanics. I picked this game as third place. Because after I cleared this game, I feel that GTA V has not very attractive post-cleared contents than I expected.

4. Bioshock Infinite - Fantastic Game mechanics and well-made story. But very few of post-cleared contents.

5. Monster Hunter 4 - Massive amount of contents, More-Action packed Gameplay.(Especially difference of altitute makes game more fun) But still requires too much laboring.

6. Shin megami tensei 4 - Lots of Demons, well-done story, Deeper combat system, all-right field graphic. But uncomfortable worldmap navigating and too much requires laboring is bad thing.

That's all I can say for now.

FYI your vote wont be counted, I think its in the incorrect format.

Karram

1. Civ 5 Brave New world - even more Civ
2. Paper Please
3. The Swapper
4. Gone Home
5. Battlefield 4
6. Brothers
7. Forza 5
8. Animal Crossing New leaf
9. Tearaway

1. Fire Emblem Awakening ; Fantastic strategy game with excellent characters.
2. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn ; The best Final Fantasy game in recent memory.
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; The sequel I've wanted since beating A Link to the Past.
4. DmC Devil May Cry ; A great action game with better environmental art than what came before.
5. Super Mario 3D World ; Fun in its purest form with a great big band soundtrack.
6. Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate ; Great fighting game with excellent mix-ups and fighting styles.
7. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; A game I love waking up to.
8. Papers, Please ; A stark and fun reminder of my increasingly diminishing attention span.
9. Bioshock Infinite ; The best story of the year with considerable gameplay improvements over the original Bioshock.
10. Tomb Raider ; An excellent reboot that was a better experience than my time spent with Underworld.

2013 was an incredibly busy year for me that I was only able to finish a handful of games. There's also the fact that my GOTY took so much of my gaming hours, that I have a ton of backlog to go through, and I rarely buy and play games upon release. Anyway, here is my list.

1. The Last of Us ; Hands-down my personal game of the year and is easily among my games of the generation. A lot has already voted for the game as their GOTY and has said the same reasons as mine, so I see no point writing them again. The one thing I'd like to mention about this game though is that its multiplayer was surprisingly good. I don't really play a lot of online multiplayer games but this one had me playing with my friends for months!

2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch ; I initially had trepidation about the game, what with a very young boy being its main protagonist. But there's no denying that there's a really nice story to go with the incredibly charming art by Studio Ghibli. This game definitely made up for the absence of new, high-profile JRPGs on the PS3 before it came out.

3. Grand Theft Auto V ; Fantastic game, absolutely. And the world was just massive and is brimming with stuff to do. But that said, I felt letdown by the actual story. I was also anticipating to play this online with my friends who played TLoU with me, only to find that it was riddled with issues. They're probably sorted by now but that initial experience left a bad taste and I didn't feel like playing it again.

4. Tales of Xillia ; My first Tales of... game and I'm looking forward to playing Tales of Xillia 2 and the recently-announced Tales of Zestiria. I never thought that a Tales of... game would ever rank higher than a Final Fantasy game on my list, but I guess that cannot be helped.

5. Diablo III ; I never played the PC version but I got to play it on the PS3 upon the recommendation of a friend who played both and said that the console version is much better (except for the graphics).

2012. Journey

It's a shame that there are so many excellent games that came out this year that I never got to play, but I will absolutely include the following on my ever-growing backlog:

Beyond: Two Souls, God of War: Ascension, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Tearaway, Guacamelee!, Soul Sacrifice, Saints Row IV, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Ys: Memories of Celceta.

And while Bioshock Infinite is among the best games of the year (going by the reviews by critics and gamers alike), I'm afraid that it'll never make my list because I cannot play games on the first person perspective. Damned motion sickness!

Levyne

Banned
And while Bioshock Infinite is among the best games of the year (going by the reviews by critics and gamers alike), I'm afraid that it'll never make my list because I cannot play games on the first person perspective. Damned motion sickness!

Damn, that stinks :(

jgminto

1. Gone Home ; Easily the most emotionally effective experience I've ever had with a game in all my years of playing. The way the mechanics and story worked together was really impressive. This'll be an experience that will stick with me for years.
2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
3. The Last of Us
4. Gunpoint
5. Pokemon Y
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. Saints Row IV
8. Killer Instinct
9. Rogue Legacy
10. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

AniHawk

Plus I have until the 18th, :p

ain't no minute like last minute. i'm doing the same thing. i figure i can fit in a good 4 more games before the deadline and have a really good look at 2013.

it's actually been my busiest gaming year since... i don't know, 2010. college, really.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Whereas with me, I got a few games recommended to me at the last minute, lol. (Tiny Thief and Attack of the Friday Monsters). So I have that in addition to stuff I was planning to play. :p

I'm the same way, too. Right now going through AC4 and the first-person parts are driving me nuts. I have to take a step back and take a rest whenever I play those.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm gonna cut it pretty close this year, too. Juggling like 3 games leading up to the deadline now, and I usually hate playing more than one thing at once.

Giolon

1. Dragon's Crown ; There was no other game I was looking forward to as much, and there's been no game that I've played as much this year as Dragon's Crown (152 hours and counting). It has everything. Fantastic gameplay, gorgeous artwork, incredibly re-playability, and Atlus and Vanillaware have managed to provide constant updates, improvements and new content over the last 5 months - and it's all been done for free. Available on PS3 and Vita, and with Cross-Play support for the past few months, I've been able to get enjoyment out of this title no matter where I am.
2. Fire Emblem Awakening ; I still can't decide if Tharja, Cordelia, or Tiki should be my character's wife. (Partly) For this reason, I haven't finished this game :( The story twists were great. The cinematics were great. The gameplay - classic Fire Emblem. I have to get back to this one of these days.
3. Pokémon Y ; All the right improvements that Pokémon needed. I only wish it were fully in 3D.
4. MechWarrior Online ; For as much shit as PGI rightfully gets for how badly they've dropped the ball in terms of feature planning, community management, and broken promises they have still built and launched one hell of a fun game. The core combat is so good that I keep coming back to it, despite the way they have handled everything. Though I've stopped giving them money.
5. Muramasa Rebirth ; It was a great game on the Wii, and it's an even better title on the Vita. The OLED screen really makes the artwork pop, and the addition of a jump button does make the gameplay a little bit more enjoyable. I'm only saddened that none of the DLC has materialized yet, but that's largely due to Vanillaware's ongoing support of my #1 GOTY, Dragon's Crown.
2012. FTL Faster Than Light ; I picked up this game last year, but never really played it. Early in the year I started to put some quality time in and holy smokes it is incredible. It's amazing how gameplay can trump everything else. The soundtrack from Ben Prunty is also god tier quality stuff.

Damn, that stinks :(

I'm the same way, too. Right now going through AC4 and the first-person parts are driving me nuts. I have to take a step back and take a rest whenever I play those.

It sucks, indeed. What makes it worse is that I miss out on some games that genuinely interest me. I've lost count already on how many but Bioshock Infinite is the latest casualty. But since it'll be free for PS+ later this month, I will download it and see if I can handle this one. Who knows? I may just surprise myself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just don't play a lot of 3D first-person games, myself, because I know I'll have to sleep right after or take medicine for it. It really sucks to miss out on some stuff just because of its perspective.

Even some third-person games get me depending on how bad the camera is. I tried playing Contrast for this year and the camera is so terrible that I just can't finish the first act of the game. I ended up forcing myself through both of the Super Mario Galaxy games and taking Gravol after some sessions because I was so nauseous every time I played them.

Forced myself through The Stanley Parable, though. Pretty worth it in the end.

demidar

It sucks, indeed. What makes it worse is that I miss out on some games that genuinely interest me. I've lost count already on how many but Bioshock Infinite is the latest casualty. But since it'll be free for PS+ later this month, I will download it and see if I can handle this one. Who knows? I may just surprise myself.

You want my opinion? Don't bother with BInfinite. But if you must, turn the difficulty to the easiest because there is sooooo much combat you'll burn yourself out before you get halfway through the game. The combat isn't deep or satisfying enough to warrant that much fighting, and the vigours--besides 2 or them--are functionally the same (stuns).

I just don't play a lot of 3D first-person games, myself, because I know I'll have to sleep right after or take medicine for it. It really sucks to miss out on some stuff just because of its perspective.

Even some third-person games get me depending on how bad the camera is. I tried playing Contrast for this year and the camera is so terrible that I just can't finish the first act of the game. I ended up forcing myself through both of the Super Mario Galaxy games and taking Gravol after some sessions because I was so nauseous every time I played them.

Forced myself through The Stanley Parable, though. Pretty worth it in the end.

That sounds awful. Have you tried increasing the FoV? I was playing Call of Juarez: Gunslinger recently and that game's FoV is so small that the game felt claustrophobic and I started getting sick. So I increased it from 75 to 95 and it looked a lot better. But seriously that sucks.

---

I've spent about 6 hours on my list yesterday doing... stuff... and cutting a lot of my comments down. But the hard stuff is done, I just gotta cut out some banners and it'll be golden so it should be up in a few days. I doubt the games I'm playing right now will get on though (Don't Starve, Etrian Odyssey 4).

Neiteio

Here's my list! (Now with pictures -- thanks Wikipedia!)

250px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_Between_Worlds_NA_cover.jpg

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; To put it in Breaking Bad terms: ALBW is "99.1 percent pure." Pure pacing. Pure mechanics. Pure design. Pure craftsmanship. Even in 2013, one of gaming's finest years, ALBW is so pure that every other game feels a shade less by comparison. The zen-like flow of the game is immediate -- satisfying at the most basic level of leaping off ledges in stereo 3D and attacking at a fluid 60 FPS. All of the pacing issues that plagued the last four Zelda games have been filtered out and expunged. What remains is a gem of a game that gives you the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want; a game that has faith in you to figure out things on your own; an infectiously fun adventure, both freewheeling and focused; a game that respects your time and intelligence.

Superficially, it revisits the world of its SNES predecessor... But I have no nostalgia for that game. Rather, ALBW wins me over on its own merits -- not the least of which is the wall-merging mechanic, the best Zelda "gimmick" since the 72-hour cycle of Majora's Mask, and no gimmick at all, since it completely changes the way you approach the dungeons and overworld. Along with the freedom afforded by having (nearly) the entire toolkit from the start, the wheel has been reinvented, the formula refreshed. ALBW creates a buzz like none other, as though you're being intravenously fed pure gaming bliss. Nintendo clearly applied themselves here. Walter White would be proud.

TheLastOfUs.jpg

2. The Last of Us ; One of the greatest strengths of The Last of Us is its excellent narrative. Impeccably shot and beautifully paced, the presentation has admirable restraint, exemplified by a sparse soundtrack and understated performances by actors who express more in what they don't say than what they do. It's a game of great subtlety, where more is inferred than flat-out told, and where long stretches of peace and tranquility are punctuated by incredible brutality -- displays of bloodshed made all the more striking for the quiet that came before. And yet, the violence never feels gratuitous, and it never distracts from the human heart at the core of the tale.

This narrative strength is also the game's greatest curse: There has been so much talk of the game's cinematic qualities that it has overshadowed the equally sublime gameplay. The industry loves to laud the cinematic qualities of games, but to only focus on such with TLoU is to do a disservice to one of the tightest-controlling third-person stealth games on the market. Joel can effortlessly climb through a window and segue straight into cover without ever feeling restricted by his cover. The animation blending and responsive controls convey every firm footstep Joel takes as he crouch-walks around a corner, steadying his hand on the wall. It's a delicate balancing act of making the player feel vulnerable yet empowered. Joel will be knocked to the ground with obliterating force if he opens himself to enemy fire, but moving swiftly and silently allows him to ambush foes with shivs and firebombs cobbled together from supplies. And each takedown is an exquisite release of adrenaline and emotion.

These semi-frequent encounters play out like clockwork constructs, with multiple rooms and floors and numerous ways in and out of each. Enemy AI is highly reactive, and clearly telegraph their patrols without becoming entirely predictable. The game feels fair, never frustrating -- a feat in itself -- and it still creates a harrowing experience where every move has weight. And framing each of these encounters are prolonged cool-down sequences where you bask in the environmental detail and character banter, scouring for supplies and figuring out how to get from one point to another. It's all done with supreme confidence, making for the best-paced console game since Resident Evil 4.

Metal_Gear_Rising_Revengeance_box_artwork.jpg

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; The "rule of cool" is in full effect here. Mere minutes into the game, Raiden the cyborg ninja stands his ground against a Godzilla-sized robot, grabs its sword-arm, throws it into the stratosphere, and leaps into the sky after it. He lands on the tip of the sword-arm, while the robot is still tumbling through the air, and runs up to its shoulder, slicing and dicing all the way. All in perfect synchronization to the music, of course. And when Raiden falls back to earth, he doesn't turn to look at the ensuing explosion. After all, cool guys never look at explosions. Duh!

This game is full of moments like that -- a relentless parade of empowering acts, all matter-of-fact and unapologetic in how cool they are. Some are triggered by quick-time events, but PlatinumGames has its priorities straight, and the game never plays itself. Each QTE bookends a rigorous workout of the game's mechanics -- and its mechanics are masterful. Perhaps the greatest revelation is the game's minimalist approach to blocking and dodging. You're encouraged to abide by the mantra, "A good offense is a good defense," negating force with force by pushing toward incoming attacks and attacking yourself. This allows you to stop even the most overwhelming of attacks. If that Godzilla-sized robot tries to stomp on you, you push back, and you strike. If an enemy cyborg uses its powers of magnetism to amass a pile of debris the size of a parking garage and throws it your way, you push back, and you strike.

These mechanics shine brightest in the one-on-one confrontations against cyborg opponents. The sensation of steel-on-steel swordplay is incredibly tactile, and the stakes are heightened by the escalating explosions, the wild tricks each boss has up their sleeve, and the layered music where the lyrics kick in at just the right moment. The game also honors the detailed world-building of the Metal Gear universe, but keeps the codec calls optional and the cutscenes skippable. The whole package comes together splendidly, and once again, PlatinumGames proves they're the best in the world at what they do.

Fire_Emblem_Awakening_box_art.png

4. Fire Emblem Awakening ; Everything in Fire Emblem Awakening is so snappy! Seriously, this game is smooth as silk, from the succinct tutorials handsomely arranged on the lower screen, to the clutter-free fashion in which the game conveys everything you need to know without ever slowing the pace or feeling overwhelming. This is one incredibly confident SRPG, all of the elements clicking together like clockwork. It is also my first foray into the world of Fire Emblem, thanks to the inclusion of Casual Mode, where any fallen units are revived at the end of each level. Purists will say this waters down the experience, but playing in Casual Mode on Normal difficulty was plenty fulfilling. I cared about the characters enough to try and prevent them from falling in the first place, but should the RNG (random number generator) make things turn for the worse, my party of characters -- so many of them, and all unique! -- would still be available for me to play matchmaker and see what relationships (and children!) result.

There is so much to love in this game: The top-notch localization by 8-4; the dynamic soundtrack that changes in and out of battle and includes some of the best tracks this generation; the beautifully animated battles you can speed up for a strong sense of impact; the top-notch character portraits (I love virtually every design in the game and can stare at the art all day); the sheer variety of scenarios in the missions and paralogues; the brilliant Pair Up mechanic and Support dialogues; the subtle but striking use of 3D on the maps, where deep gorges gave me a sense of vertigo and birds in the sky made me think fruit flies were buzzing around my 3DS -- it all adds up to one of the finest portable gaming experiences ever, one that would easily hold its own in any format.

250px-Super_Mario_3D_World_box_art.jpg

5. Super Mario 3D World ; "Density of ideas," and "polished to a shine." These phrases kept running through my mind while playing 3D World. The polish is evident in every immaculately clean, candy-coated surface -- so textured you want to touch it; so bright and colorful you can practically taste it. Coupled with the buoyant animations, and invigorated by the incredible soundtrack, which swings effortlessly from big band to Japanese folk and back again, the audiovisual package is so complete that this WiiU game honestly feels a step beyond its HD contemporaries (PS3 and 360), and frankly looks and sounds more enticing than anything currently available for PS4 and Xbone. That alone is an accomplishment for a company not typically associated with the superficial aspects of a game.

But then there's the "density of ideas," an economy of design where one fresh idea peels back to reveal another, and another, and another -- an endless series of hat tricks, all clever and confidently crafted. Perhaps the most impressive part is how well they translate to multiplayer. When some friends and I got together for four-player fun last weekend, it clicked in a way that multiplayer NSMB never did. Affording players the extra space of 3D makes it that much easier to move around, even for players who (like my friends) don't typically play videogames. I have a new appreciation for the run button and flagpole -- it was a familiar language for my friends, calling back to their 8-bit days. It allowed them to pick up the game quick, while the 3D space gave them room for error, even on the more intricate courses. Hilarity ensued -- one friend kept stealing the Ice Skates, while another kept destroying the Double Cherry clones, calling them "unnatural." Moments like these are why Nintendo is so special.

Official_cover_art_for_Bioshock_Infinite.jpg

6. BioShock Infinite ; I played through BioShock Infinite twice. It's rare for me to play through games multiple times these days. It's even rarer for me to enjoy the game just as much the second time as the first. Some people experienced cognitive dissonance with this game, where they couldn't reconcile its gameplay and its narrative. But I never had this problem. To me, Infinite has always been a game, first and foremost. It's an incredibly solid shooter, where the gunplay is weighty and precise -- so much so that I can reliably shoot from the hip and nail headshots on a semi-regular basis. It's a shooter where sprinting and jumping has just the right sense of speed and athleticism, where the ziplines allow you to close great distances and scale dizzying heights in the blink of an eye. There are tears in the fabric of space-time that allow you to modify the terrain at will -- a sniper perch here; some cover there -- and then there are the vigors, criminally overlooked by so many players. Experiment with these superpowers, and every encounter will be exciting.

The shooting is just one part of the gameplay loop, of course. The looting remains as addictive as ever, the player scouring every nook and cranny for supplies to keep their weapons full and their character strong. And the looting, in turn, keeps you busy while you enjoy the sights and sounds. As the 1,500+ screenshots I took will attest (you can see a sample of them HERE), the game world is well-worth your time and appreciation. I literally could not stop moving forward when I arrived in Columbia, even though I had planned to just "take a peek" and then return to my backlog. And that ending? The best finale since 999. The more I mulled it over in the spoiler thread, the more I was convinced of its brilliance. Individually, its ideas have been done before, but they all come together so beautifully here, and with such heart. A game I didn't expect to deliver, but that delivered in spades.

Wonderful_101_box_artwork.jpg

7. The Wonderful 101 ; Of all the games on my list, this one easily has the steepest learning curve. I had to play the demo three or four times before it clicked. The full game does a better job of easing you into the action, but even then, this is one complex game! The sheer number of options available to you in combat is staggering. In time, you learn to "draw" the shapes for the different attacks with quick flicks of the right stick or touchscreen -- motions similar to a competitive fighting game -- and this allows you to modify the range and power of your moves on the fly. It's a richly rewarding game to play, because you will get better. In this way it reminds me of Resident Evil 6, one of my favorite games last year.

TW101 is also the most exhausting game on the list. It relentlessly throws new challenges at you, with the creative zeal of a madman who clearly has too many ideas in his head, and precious little restraint. Each situation is more absurd and over-the-top than the last. The sense of scale is astounding at times -- running along the back of a mile-long serpent, or battling one boss on top of another. And yet, even with all the frenetic action onscreen -- the kind that would be indecipherable to onlookers -- you remain in control. You just have to be willing to learn, and to go with the flow.

I am a couple chapters from the end of this game, and I'm sure I'd be even more hyped after finishing it. But like I said earlier, the game is exhausting. I don't find it compelling to the same degree as, say, Metal Gear Rising, where the action is more immediate due to the closer camera -- but TW101 is without a doubt one of the best games this year. And definitely a contender for "Most Content-Packed Action Game!"

Pikmin_3_box_artwork.png

8. Pikmin 3 ; Miyamoto once said this may be one of his greatest games. And he may be right! It's all in the pitch-perfect pressure the game exerts on the player. The first Pikmin overdid it with the strict 30-day limit, stifling the player's willingness to explore. The second game then went too far in the opposite direction, removing any incentive to hustle at all. Pikmin 3 finally achieves the best of both worlds: The more fruit you gather, the longer your stay, but there's no hard cap on the number of days, and should you run out of fruit, you can always revisit a previous day to try things differently. In the interest of forward momentum, though, you'll find yourself endeavoring to avoid this crutch -- and when you complete a task, however big or small, the accomplishment will feel that much more rewarding. Pikmin 3 exemplifies the simple thrill of task mastery and a productive day's work -- and it looks downright gorgeous at the same time. Screens don't do it justice. And words can't capture the feeling of hauling back multiple fruits to the ship and then surveying your spoils at the end of the day.

256px-Puppeteer_cover.png

9. Puppeteer ; All the way up to its release, I worried that Puppeteer would be "floaty" like LittleBigPlanet, even though the two games are developed by different studios. But all worries were cast aside as soon as I took control of Kutaro. He is fast -- fast to run, fast to roll, fast to jump, fast to fall. He hits the apex of his jump a short distance up and then immediately returns to Earth, with enough air control to retrace his jump trajectory, if you so wish. But there is nothing "floaty" about the way Kutaro handles. The controls in Puppeteer are tight, tight, tight -- right down to the snappy roll that is highly reminiscent of the roll in Donkey Kong Country Returns. And speaking of DKC, this game's audiovisual presentation reminds me very much of DKC2, from the shadow-drenched landscapes and neon colors that call to mind Crocodile Isle, to the score by film composer Patrick Doyle that is by turns epic, haunting, foreboding and whimsical. The way the sets dynamically transform, sliding together and apart, with new pieces clunking into place, is a sight to behold, each piece lovingly handcrafted, and seemingly no assets used twice. The narration is top-notch, by far and away some of the best writing and acting in the industry. And while there are (skippable) interludes to break up the action here and there, the core gameplay is just as tight as Kutaro's movement, getting tremendous mileage out of his scissors, grappling hook and other special abilities. The game is not meant to be a platformer you barrel through at a breakneck pace like Mario or Rayman; rather, it is more thoughtful and deliberative, with a point-and-click element via the right stick, and gadget-based puzzle-solving that would be right at home in a Zelda dungeon, albeit here they're strung along linear platform stages, and meant merely for progression. It all comes together in a very complete and satisfying way, with a fantastic finale and resolution.

Anarchy_Reigns_box_art.jpg

10. Anarchy Reigns ; One of the best multiplayer games EVER. Solid in single-player, too... But it's a crying shame the online scene was a ghost town mere months after the U.S. release. Still, those months were packed full of great times. Hosting a 16-player Battle Royale as my main man, Big Bull, and then taking a launch pad to the top of a skyscraper and cleaning someone's clock with a rocket-powered sledgehammer is the very essence of this hobby and why it's so FUN. PlatinumGames has crafted a most remarkable brawler, full of colorful characters that would each be great leads in a stylish character action game. To have them all together in one game is just too much! And the soundtrack, comprising all-original hip-hop and rap tracks from a number of artists, is not only tonally and thematically appropriate, but also legitimately good listening -- the Anarchy Reigns OST was my car CD of choice for the better half of the year. What a game!

x. Grand Theft Auto V
x. Pokemon X and Pokemon Y
x. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
x. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
x. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
x. Rayman Legends

You want my opinion? Don't bother with BInfinite. But if you must, turn the difficulty to the easiest because there is sooooo much combat you'll burn yourself out before you get halfway through the game. The combat isn't deep or satisfying enough to warrant that much fighting, and the vigours--besides 2 or them--are functionally the same (stuns).

Thanks for the suggestion, demidar. I'll download the game once it's free on PS+ and do just that. With all this talk about perspective, I just remembered that I played DUST 514 quite a bit earlier this year and didn't really experience as much motion sickness with it compared to other games with first person perspective. Hmmm...

Anyway, so sorry to digress. This is a topic for the best games of the year, after all.

Vecks

1. Marvel Heroes ; Diablo with super heroes. It's number one on my list due to the sheer number of hours I've put in. It has improved a ton since release, and they just keep adding new stuff every month.
2. Spelunky ; A game that never gets old because every run feels so different.
3. DOTA 2 ; Insanely addictive, tried and true gameplay. I'd still be playing it if people were more fun to play with... and if it wasn't such a time commitment.
4. Valdis Story: Abyssal City ; The graphics remind me of those Korean 2d MMOs, but that's fine because the gameplay is much better than any online game can hope to have.
5. Dust: An Elysian Tale ; A nice action RPG. Quite a pleasant experience. Everything, even the voice work, was really good.
6. Bleed ; The character art isn't very good, but everything else about this game is amazing. Really fun, fast, twitch-based combat and platforming.
7. Risk of Rain ; A fun, but flawed roguelike-(like?).
8. Tomb Raider ; Not what I wanted, but it's still a solid 3rd person shooter.
9. Ittle Dew ; This game is sweet. Zelda puzzles, without much else, done in creative ways with few tools. In a way it's nice, but it also feels a little too light on content to make a deep impression.
10. Volgarr the Viking ; Haven't played enough to put this higher, but boy is this game brutal. A true test of patience and skill.

Miburou

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; The only blemish on this otherwise superb game is the final form of the final boss, which despite having played everything else on both Normal and Hard, I've yet to beat and have no interest in beating. The gameplay was action in its purest form, and the game did manage to retain the Metal Gear feel while adding its own touch, such as the amazing music.

2. Rayman Legends; One of the best platforms I've ever played. The lovely art, the amazing music and all the little creative touches made this one of my favorite games ever.

3. The Last of Us; amazing game, amazing experience.

4. Dead Rising 3; Ironically this zombie invested world is one of the most alive open-worlds I've had the pleasure of exploring. Even having finished it, I still go back just to goof around with all the weapons.

5. BioShock Infinite; despite being disappointed with it (BioShock is my game of the generation), I still had fun with the game, and its beautiful world.

6. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed; probably the best kart game ever made.

7. Resident Evil Revelations; despite having finished it already on the 3DS, I still played it for 70 hours getting S ranks on all the Raid missions in co-op.

8. Tearaway; awesome, moving experience.

9. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies; the insane amount of text almost made me stop playing the game on numerous occasions. Still, I spent over 80 hours on the JP and NA versions.

10. Super Mario 3D World; it's almost criminal how some of the features are barely used. So creative is the game that I wish it was twice as long just to get to play around with all the ideas a bit more.

Riposte

I'm set to play just two more games (two very important games, granted) and play three to four games just a little more to fill out my thoughts. I pretty much have my rankings established with four runner-ups, but those two games could change things a little. Anyway, that's just a bunch of vague nonsense to anyone else, but my point is with two or so weeks to go maybe I won't post on the last day. Then again, I've never been one to be early. I mean, it is not like I won't be missing other big games even after doing these two... maybe I could fit a third.

Tailzo

1. Ni no kuni: Wrath of the White Witch ; I like roleplaying games. This game had a very charming story, colorful visuals an overworld map that reminded me of old dragon quest or final fantasy games and it hooked me enough for me to finish it.

2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ; Best local multiplayer of the year

3. The Last of Us ;
4. Tearaway;
5. Soul Sacrifice ;
6. Sonic Lost World ;
7. Guacamelee; ;
8. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ;
9. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ;
10. Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable ; It was released in January, right?

Larson

Banned
1. Gone Home ; Easily the most emotionally effective experience I've ever had with a game in all my years of playing. The way the mechanics and story worked together was really impressive. This'll be an experience that will stick with me for years.
2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
3. The Last of Us
4. Gunpoint
5. Pokemon Y
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. Saints Row IV
8. Killer Instinct
9. Rogue Legacy
10. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Not to question your choice, but what is it about Gone Home that was so special? For me it was a good game, with some mystery attached to it. Is it something i missed, because the game is super short and i think i discovered most of the secrets. I can't see how the game or the story is any memorable, but i guess it will be a sort of cult game.

FerranMG

1. Grand Theft Auto V ; after the disappointment that GTA IV was for me, I was hyped for V, but cautious. I loved it, though. The graphics are amazing for a 360, open-world game. The setting, lovely. I found the gameplay with the 3 characters to work very well, and also Rockstar has solved plenty of issues present in their last 3rd person shoortes. The story was also quite nice. The missions are no longer the typical ones. There's no two equal missions, and all have their unique touch.
The only bad things I can say about the game is that I missed more side missions, and that "press A to run" is not acceptable anymore.
Otherwise, one of the finest and funnes game I have ever played.

2. The Last of Us ; I don't like Uncharted. I couldn't finish 1, I hated 2, never played 3. My expectations were not very high when I started The Last of Us, and I only did it because my brother lent me the game. However, this time everything made much more sense than in the Uncharted games. The gameplay is tighter, the story is more interesting, and the characters ara amazing. I can't really recall at what moment the game clicked on me, but at some point I went from "this game is quite average", to "this game is quite good". After finishing it, I realized the overall experience is top notch.
Still suffers from the "hero that kills 1000 guys" affection, though.
I could only try the multiplayer for a few games, but found it very interesting.

3. Resogun ; Got my PS4 on Christmas, got my first PS+ supscription and downloaded Resogun. I loved SuperStardust HD before, but I think I like Resogun better. I had a bit of trouble during the first few games, trying to understand all the stuff that the game doesn't explain (how do I save humans?). But after that, I experienced one of the shmups I've enjoyed the most. Got my first platinum. Beat the game on Master. The particles that fly everywhere are a feast for the eyes. The music is spot on. Love it.

4. State of Decay ; I knew nothing about this game until the week it came out. I tried the demo based on some GAF comments, and bought it as soon as it ended, despite the higher-than-usual price tag for an XBLA game. The game is not perfect, the graphics are janky, but the sense of survival is unmatched. Totally deserved the sales and the praise it got.

5. Killzone Shadow Fall ; I've been playing this since Christmas. The campaing still hasn't won me over (and I still haven't finished it), but the multiplayer has been really fun for me. Never played a Killzone game before, and the change from the usual CoD and BF is welcome.

6. Tiny Thief ; A charming little gem I'm currently experiencing on the iPhone. The cutest graphic adventure ever. Levels are relatively simple, but make you think if you want to get the 3 stars.

7. Rocksmith 2014 ; I've been meaning to learn to play some guitar for very long. I've played for some not very long time with this game, and I think it can help me achieve what I want. The "difficulty curve", if you want to call it this way, is perfect. The game adjustes the difficulty on the fly, and you play more notes and more difficult chords as you progress. I'm looking forward to a sale to buy some DLC that are currently too expensive.

____
Would have liked to play but didn't have time:
- Bioshock Infinite: started it and didn't like it at all. Still, I'd like to finish it to see, or to try to understand, why there's so much people who love it. So far, it seems like crap to me. :/
- Saints Row IV: liked 1, loved 2, not so much 3. Wasn't interested in 4 until I heard it being compared to Crackdown. I hope I'll be able to play it soon.
- Brothers: A tale of two sons: played the demo, and it did nothing for me. As with Bioshock Infinite, I'd like to play it to see why people like it.
- Pikmin 3: don't have a Wii U. I'm sure I would have loved it.
- Super Mario 3D World: first Mario game I've been remotely interested for a very long time.

seriously

get it together Riposte/Dark Schala/Nocturnowl/Stump/etc
I have to overcome this writers block, both this and my soundtrack of the year stuff are going at a snails pace.
Otherwise most of the list is in order at least, it's just a matter of the last spot which i'm "umming and ahhing" about, lists are such serious business.

Stop playing favorites, guys. Everyone's list matters. From the most junior of junior members, to infamous members, to insiders, to devs. We're all one. We're all in this together. WE. ARE. NEOGAF.

Just so you know this is some Cena like promo you're cutting here Net.
But there are a ton of detailed lists this year, i'm actually getting overwhelmed trying to read them all.

I have to overcome this writers block, both this and my soundtrack of the year stuff are going at a snails pace.

Best advice I ever got about overcoming writer's block

"Don't worry about being any good, cuz you're not. Just write."

So just write Owl, no has any expectations for you whatsoever!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm glad a lot more people are putting effort into their posts this year.

I didn't even start typing up a list or even think about it much yet. Prepare yourselves for a blatant disregard of character limits.

Teggy

1. The Last of Us; storytelling in games brought to new highs while still offering solid, tension-filled gameplay.
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Tomb Raider
4. Gone Home
5. Tearaway
6. Splinter Cell Blacklist
7. Metro Last Light
8. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
9. The Swapper
10. Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus
x. Contrast

Best advice I ever got about overcoming writer's block

"Don't worry about being any good, cuz you're not. Just write."

So just write Owl, no has any expectations for you whatsoever!

Good point, as long as it's readable and gets the point across that's enough, really it's just as we've said before about how writing about why you like a game often ends up being a lot harder than writing about flaws, unless you're Neiteio of course.

I'm glad a lot more people are putting effort into their posts this year.

I didn't even start typing up a list or even think about it much yet. Prepare yourselves for a blatant disregard of character limits.

Bracing myself for the return of the double post.

Denzar

Wow, I did not play many games this year. :(

1. The Last of Us ; Joel. Joel? JOEL!
2. Grand Theft Auto V ; I've waited 5 years for this game. It exceeded my expectations.
3. Bioshock Infinite ; Haters gonna hate
4. Far Cry Blood Dragon ; Eighties the video game, yo!
5. Rayman Legends ; Multiplayer madness! GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLL

2012. Far Cry 3 ; It sure is purdy.

Saul

Banned
1. Pikmin 3; Fun to play with the newly introduced motion controls.
2. Pokémon Y;

Unfortunately, that's the only two games i played this year. ^^

Busaiku

1. Super Mario 3D World ; EAD Tokyo has yet to let me truly down (while Super Mario 3D Land wasn't as amazing, it's still a good game). This was another fantastic entry into the Super Mario franchise, with some really fun levels and some nice ideas. I would definitely like to see multiple characters in future games as well. Though Mario's still the best.

2. Pokemon Y ; A great single player experience, until you beat the Elite 4. However, breeding being so much more accessible, the great look, and now Whimsicott, makes this a fantastic entry into the franchise. They took all of the streamlined features of Pokemon Black and translated it well onto the 3DS.

3. The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker HD ; My favorite The Legend of Zelda ever, with a fantastic upgrade. With some of the new improvements, like Swift Sail, it makes returning to the game so much easier. This has to be the best looking game I've ever seen.

4. Animal Crossing New Leaf ; A super charming game that feels so alive. I need to play daily more often, but it's always nice to return to the game, even if I'm behind on so many things.

5. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; An intense ride all the way through. It took a lot to get the hang of things, but once there, it felt so smooth. Some killer tracks and a great world (after getting to Tokyo) make this such a fun experience.

6. New Super Luigi U ; A different take on the formula, with great results. Shorter, but more difficult levels make it much easier to make me want to return to a level, despite a greater loss count overall. I like Mario, but Luigi's no slouch at all.

7. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ; First exposure into the franchise, and it's definitely something I like. The monsters are a blast to fight, it feels really good landing hits, and I love getting new equips. I just wish that male armor looked better.

8. The Wonderful 101 ; An exciting action game with so much stuff going on. So much color and personality throughout everything makes it such a blast. There's also tons of variety in all the stages. Definitely a Wonderful game.

9. Rune Factory 4 ; I haven't spent too much time on this yet, but I've loved everything so far. It's fast enough that the daily chore grind doesn't feel problematic, but paced right so days don't just fly by without me accomplishing much. I love the character interactions in the game, and festivals really feel like something all of my villagers are a part of.

10. Hatsune Miku Project Diva F ; Definitely a different sort of rhythm game, with a greater focus on the avatars themselves. I love customizing my Len and playing through everything with whoever I want. The tracks a great, and the gameplay is different from other rhythm games I'm used to. It's great that we got to see this in the US.

x. Etrian Odyssey Untold The Millennium Girl ; Great dungeon crawling with some fun characters and a great look. It's a bit hard for me, but I'll get back into it eventually and try and take it down.

x. Fire Emblem Awakening ; While not my favorite Fire Emblem or strategy game, it was a good enough game to have me playing for around 250 hours. Character interactions a great, but everything else is not quite what I would have liked. Still, a good game, though very basic.

2012. New Super Mario Bros U ; Since I didn't get a Wii U until this year, I missed out on this gem from last year. I did play this after New Super Luigi U, so some of the impact is lost, however, levels are still great, and are different enough to maintain some freshness. The levels are still fantastic in their own regard, and definitely stands as one of the stronger 2D Super Mario games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not to question your choice, but what is it about Gone Home that was so special? For me it was a good game, with some mystery attached to it. Is it something i missed, because the game is super short and i think i discovered most of the secrets. I can't see how the game or the story is any memorable, but i guess it will be a sort of cult game.
For me at least, GH was kind of a role-playing game in the most literal sense possible. The story wasn't incredible, it was mundane actually. But that's actually what made it seem more immersive to me because it felt like a normal life, and the way you piece together what's happening is the important thing this game does. It's like a statement of what makes video games different than a book or a movie or an album when it comes to how you process what's being expressed, and shows how it can do things movies and books can't. (The "audio-logs" are a trope though, but you can turn them off) I think the mundanity of the whole thing throws a lot of gamers, I definitely get why, but this is a pretty important piece of work.

Raw64life

1. Super Mario 3D World ; Simply the most fun I had playing a video game this year, by far. Behold the glory of 60 FPS without a hitch
2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch ; The closest thing I'll get to an HD Dragon Quest until probably sometime around 2020.
3. Grand Theft Auto V ; Everything I expected and a whole lot more.
4. Fire Emblem Awakening ;
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ;
6. Dragons Crown ;
7. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon ;
8. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team ;
9. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 ; Full Burst
10. Soul Sacrifice ;
2012. New Super Mario Bros. U ;

Trumpets

1. Metro: Last Light; The best story-based FPS I've played since Half Life 2.
2. Bioshock Infinite; The second best story-based FPS I've etc.
3. Ni No Kuni; Didn't quite live up to expectations but a great JRPG nonetheless.
4. Zeno Clash 2; Mental First person brawler.
5. GTAV; not my favourite GTA but still pretty amazing.

flonty

1. GTA 5 ; The best game that I have played this year. The world is so immersive just like RDR was. Gunplay is good and the driving physics are fun again. My biggest gripe with it is that the story fell a little bit short and there weren't that many heists.

2. The Last of us ; The return of survival Horror. Graphically the most impressive game on PS3. Very tense game till the very last minute. Multiplayer feels forced other than that no complaints. It just didn't keep me so much playing like GTA 5/Online.

3. Bioshock Infinite ; Very very good game that I think is being hated on too much. Even though the guns felt somewhat weak I enjoyed the combat. I haven't played the DLC yet. Graphics are nothing special but still enough for the game to be immersive. Alice role was unfortunately not as good implemented as I hoped.

Just so you know this is some Cena like promo you're cutting here Net.
But there are a ton of detailed lists this year, i'm actually getting overwhelmed trying to read them all.

I know what I did, Nocturnowl. It hurt me, but sometimes you have to forget about yourself and do what's good for the people.

klinkcow

Neo Member
images

1. Gone Home ; A very grounded narrative in a game that genuinely felt emotional.
2. Bioshock Infinite ; Irrational still creates my favorite game worlds. They are breathtaking.
3. Gunpoint ; A gamer's game. Truly great game mechanics at work here
4. Antichamber ; Very challenging puzzels, incredibly unique world...A solid story would've pushed this to #1
5. Stanley Parable ; One of the most enjoyable few hours I've spent on my PC this year.
6. Year Walk ; The best game I've played on an iPhone
7. The Swapper ; Great puzzle, interesting look and great atmosphere
8. Batman: Arkham Origins ; Underrated and Dog-piled by critics, I think the story in this game is fantastic.
9. Rogue Legacy; I sunk a lot of hours into this little game. Great carrot on a stick loop!
10. Battlefield 4 ; 64-player chaos, just plain fun.

kenta

Has no PEINS
1. BioShock Infinite ; The world-building was unforgettable and I really enjoyed actually playing it, not to mention immediately looking up theories on the ending as soon as I could. Genuinely enjoyed it from top to bottom.
2. The Last of Us ; Honestly I didn't love it as much as other people, but the more I reflect back on it, the more I appreciate it. My personal nature seemed to be a bit at odds with the way they expected me to play, which is what detracted most from the experience, but every facet of the game was polished with obvious thought and care.
3. Guacamelee! ; Enjoyed this way more than I expected, considering I've never liked a Metroidvania.
4. Resogun ; Not quite at the same level as SSHD but still super fun

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, they really need to release Gone Home on consoles so I can experience it. My laptop is way too dinky to be able to handle it.

Struct09

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; Nintendo has nailed exactly what has become expected of them these days - they created a game that triggers the good memories we have of their older games while also delivering something fresh. This entry has breathed new life into a classic game series that has been facing stagnation. Looking at it on its own merits it is simply a fun and engaging game from the get-go. It is tightly designed, highly focused, has an amazing soundtrack, and is just flat out fun to play from beginning to end. I dreaded the end because I knew it was almost over, and I squeezed all I could out of this amazing little game. It feels good to finally love a Zelda game this much again.

2. Grand Theft Auto V ; I expected this game to be really good and it still surpassed my expectations. It is clear that Rockstar has taken everything they've learned over the last generation of game design and applied it to this game. Aside from some strange inconsistencies the characters and story are highly entertaining. I really enjoyed the heists, and how the game provided a couple different ways to tackle them. I also felt that the game gave more freedom in terms of how to complete missions, something that has been slowly disappearing from the series since GTA III. I consider this to be the best game in the series, and can't wait to see where they go next with GTA.

3. Super Mario 3D World ; Simply a magical and fun game, as I've come to expect from the Mario series. The Galaxy team continues to show how many gameplay ideas they've come up with over the years, and they don't let any element of the game over-stay its welcome. It doesn't top the incredible Galaxy twins of the last generation for me, but I am still very satisfied with what 3D World has to offer. The gorgeous visuals and great soundtrack are the double-cherry on top of the excellent gameplay.

4. BioShock Infinite ; I hadn't been hyped this much for a game in a long time, so naturally I had high expectations. And for the most part it met those really high expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed my time exploring every last corner of Colombia, and I also had fun with the fast-paced gameplay using the skyhooks to get around the battlefield. The ending is something that has stuck with me since I witnessed it and is something that I will not soon forget.

5. Dota 2 ; I'm not sure what took me so long to get into DOTA. I loved Warcraft III mostly for its hero system, and I love the PVP aspects of games like World of Warcraft. But it took Valve releasing Dota 2 for this genre to finally hook me, and it hooked me pretty good this year. Going to The International 3 with some fellow Dota playing friends was one of the most fun and memorable things I did this year, and I can't wait to go again next year. I see this game being my primary multiplayer game for some time to come, as it never gets boring due to the near infinite number of ways that a match can play out.

6. The Last of Us ; This is such a beautiful and well-crafted game. Naughty Dog is doing a great job of having gameplay and narrative not interfere with each other. They built a fully realized world filled with interesting characters, and it is arguably the best looking game of the generation. I absolutely can not wait to see what they do with a new generation of hardware.

7. Rogue Legacy ; This game was pure fun from the first moment I picked up the controller until I declared myself finished
(after NG++, because it gets CRAZY)
. I couldn't get enough while I was playing it and I foresee myself replaying the game when its released on consoles.

8. Guacamelee ; A very well made Metroid-like that has its own creative personality. The combat was fun, the music was very catchy, and overall it's a unique and fun experience that I won't soon forget. I can never get enough of these types of games and this one nailed it.

9. Tomb Raider ; I've never really liked the Tomb Raider series, but this game is not much like those old games. This one includes a solid combat system and environments that are a joy to explore. I'm happy that a sequel is being made and hope they expand upon what they created here.

10. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag ; A sigh of relief after last year's entry. While I was able to put up with AC3's many lows to enjoy its highs, AC4 is a delight for most of the experience (pretty much as long as you're not having to tail someone). A very enjoyable game that really doesn't need the Assassin's Creed name attached to it to stand out. It's beautiful, doesn't have a slow and boring introduction, and has interesting characters and environments throughout. Also, shanties are among the best collectables ever put into a video game.

x. DmC ; I think this game would have been better served being its own new IP. I've played all the other DMC games (aside from 2), and honestly I had more fun with this game than any of those. It was well crafted and very fun to play, and it saddens me that we probably won't see a sequel since its not exactly what core DMC fans wanted. I hope Ninja Theory takes what they made with this game and makes something new, because I highly enjoyed what they delivered here.

x. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon ; Far Cry 3 was my #2 last year, and when I found out that an 80's inspired standalone spin-off was being released I couldn't have been happier. This game is truly unique in terms of look and humor which makes it unforgettable. I hope we see more crazy spin-offs like this in the future.

x. Tearaway ; A cute and whimsical game. It really took advantage of what makes the Vita unique and provided a consistent and unique experience all the way through. Easily my favorite game from Media Molecule.

x. Batman: Arkham Origins ; Definitely more of the same when compared to Arkham City, but that same is just so good. Still love that combat system, and this one also told a really good comic book story.

2012. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive ; Still a fun game after all these years. Matchmaking provides a way to not get caught in servers with people who are way better than I am.

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; This game was amazing. As a huge metal gear fan it was very nice to finally be able to play as Raiden in a game where his abilities were showcased properly. No other game this year was as fun to me as this one.
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds ; A return to form which reignited my love for Zelda after the recent subpar showings.
3. The Last of Us ; I doubt I could say anything more than what others have, the game is a masterpiece through and through.
4. Bioshock Infinite ; Great Story, Great Music, Great Environment, Great Gameplay.
5. Grand Theft Auto V ; An achievement in open world narrative design and gameplay.
6. Tomb Raider ;
7. Saints Row IV ;
8. Shin Megami Tensei IV ;
9. Fire Emblem: Awakening ;
10. Resogun ;

2012. Persona 4 Golden ; Arguably the best game on Vita. It is unbelievable how fresh they made this game feel to people who had previously played Persona 4 on Ps2. I

noquarter

There are quite a few games that I still have to play and haven't been able to yet, it has been a pretty busy year for me. Hopefully I will get a couple more finished in the next couple weekends before voting ends.

X. Madden 25 ; On the current gen consoles, this is still Madden. I skipped '12 and '13, so not sure what were the incremental changes, but I do like it as much as '11. On the new consoles, specifically XBox One, I really this game is really good. The Kinect voice stuff is pretty good, sometimes it doesn't really get you, but still pretty fun. The replays are a lot better. The highlights at the end of the game are better. Just a bunch of the smaller stuff is better. A much better "next gen" debut than Madden '06 was.

4. Steamworld Dig ; Played through this on the 3DS in a little over a day. Purchased it only knowing the name and seeing it mentioned on here a couple of times, so I didn't even know what type of game it was. The graphics are pretty simple, but are nice to look at in 3D. The story is alright, the ending is really making me want to see the sequel. The power-ups are all fun and the puzzle rooms are pretty good. It was really fun trying to figure out the best way to dig while getting the most gems, since you do have to wait to get some items to help clear out some sections.

3. Streetpass: Monster Manor ; This was a surprise. I downloaded all the Streetpass games a couple weeks after they were released just thinking they might be fun distractions. And Warrior's Way and Mii Force were. Monster Manor though is really quite good though. The puzzle bits are fun and make me really try fill in a floor with one color (you seem to get better chests the more that are in a space) and the action is pretty good, simple but fun.

Looking at my 3DS, I have over 150 hours in Mii Plaza since June (had to buy a new 3DS after mine was stolen), and a good portion of that is from the Streetpass games, my favorite being Monster Manor.

2. BioShock: Infinite ; Really didn't know what to expect when I started playing this. I had played both BioShock 1 and 2, but what I had seen of Infinite made it look like it would be heavy on QTE's or really difficult to control. Was surprised that riding the rails was so fun and easy, after a little bit of practice. The story was also a pleasant surprise. It had some flaws, but for the story it told was pretty well done.

What I really liked about the game though was the atmosphere. The first two BioShocks, especially the original, really felt closed and below the ocean in the late 50's. The music was appropriate, the architecture, everything. They might or might not have been accurate, but they allowed me to feel like it was that time. Infinite also did the same, but to me in a different way. I have no idea what early 20th century was like, I have no reference for it, but the history in the world kept reminding me that it was early 20th century. The events it cited espectially reminded me. The music was good and the world looked great.

1. Pokemon X/Y ; Not my first Pokemon, but the first one that I get. When the first Pokemon came out I was already in high school and remember giving my little brother crap for playing such a kiddie game. A few years later, when Ruby/Sapphire came out, I figured I would give it a try. For me, the GBA made portable gaming worthy (I had and played a GameBoy and GameGear, but they didn't really fell like real games at the time), and was impressed at what Pokemon was. Played a few of the others, but I never really got them, just seemed like cute RPG's with a cool party building mechanic.

Now, Pokemon X/Y really got me to look at the whole game. I don't know why, but this is the first time that I actually beat the games. This is the first time that I wanted to battle with someone (haven't gone online, but in person it is fun) It really got me to look at everything in the game. It is surprising all the systems in this kiddie game; berries, nursery, trading, customizing. Really have a lot to do.

The other main thing I really found myself liking about Pokemon, which the other games have done as well, is that it always seems to give you something to make life easier at just the right time. Before you have to walk too far, it gives you skates. When you get to the next town, it gives you a shortcut back. When skates/bike are going to start taking too long, gives you Fly. It trims some of the fat that RPG's have while still allowing you to explore. Very well done.

If Pokemon X/Y would get rid of some of the Nintendoisms (harvesting berries and planting them takes to long, why can't I just switch Pokemon instead having to Deposit then Withdraw, etc.) it would be perfect.

jgminto

I guess I felt a strong connection with the story and the characters, especially Sam, her story had a lot of resonance with me.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Seems like there's less consensus going forward this year. So many people were saying TLoU was their GotY earlier, but there's a lot of handheld and PC stuff making the tops of peoples lists, so it doesn't seem like there's gonna be a runaway winner this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom