• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korigama

You can always blame it on your watch not telling the time. ;D

CBlykSC.jpg
Haha, seems I could.

RSB

Banned
Seriously, we need to sticky the next one for the last week or something. Or make several PSAs about it somewhere. I reminded a couple of gaffers over PM and they all replied with that they either forgot it or didn't even knew that this was a thing, but really wanted to vote. Fortunately some of them managed to get in just in time, but still...
True. I had to post first and then edit with my votes, just to be sure that my post was on time. Sticking the thread seems like a good idea. Maybe next year?

Thanks again for the heads-up BTW.

Megatron

Last of Us is pretty obviously number one by a wide margin, but it will be really interesting to see the rest. I thought GTA5 was a lock, but its support seems to have fallen off a bit. I wonder if Bioshock managed to jump up and steal the 2 spot?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I did a quick look-through of the thread every little while and these were some of the ballots that jumped out on me based on games that they picked, comments they made, or presentation/visual setup of the ballot:

Seda
TheVisualizer
Roboleon
parasight
Morfeo
Griss
paradox121
Cartman86
Apdiddy
Nibel
Pro
ohlawd
Fattony12000
Represent. <-- most representative ballot of GAF as a whole ever
dreamfall
Santiako
Pappasman
alice
zkylon
Kabouter
Fine Ham Abounds
ViewtifulJC
randomkid
Omikaru
EatChildren
Tristan Tzara
cosmicblizzard
Diablos
Refreshment.01
Yuterald
SoraanTribal
Smedwicks
elfinke
Katana_Strikes
Amir0x
Nocturnowl
demidar
kswiston
Anihawk
Papercuts 2 3
adversesolutions
Pie and Beans
ilnadmy
Acquiescence
BlackJace
Corto
Riposte
Tain
Cow Goes Moo
timetokill
GhaleonQ
Sendou
SkeptiMism
Anth0ny
Dark Schala 2
fuzzylogic

I'm sure I missed some great stuff, but these were some of my favourites

Alright, I think I need to actually get around to playing SMT4 as well.

But only if you all play W101.

SMTIV is just one of those flawed gems that gets the things it gets right so right that the flaws melt away. It feels like an NES game in that respect, to me.

I'll be getting a WiiU this year for Bayo 2 anyway. I played just enough of W101 at a friend's house to know the controls don't bother me, so I have a hard time imagining I won't love it.

onyhow

Neo Member
1. Europa Universalis IV; My most played game this year (outside of TF2). I never had this much fun trying to manage my empire, expand while fighting others to standstill, overcome great odds due to well-placed alliance, and more.
2. XCOM: Enemy Within; Another damn fun one, with lots of new contents added in, diversifying my gears considerably. EXALT is a bit weakly implemented, but still does have some fun moments.
3. Papers, Please; Put it basically, probably the best game with integration between story and gameplay I've ever seen.
4. Metro: Last Light; I don't get why people like Bioshock Infinite so much, because I think that Metro LL is much better. While its story isn't THAT great, it has much MUCH better immersion to me. Improved stealth helps loads.
5: Divinity: Dragon Commander; RTS side is a bit weak, due to the fact that you just need to spam LOTS of units, but the dragon mode and the witty writing helps alleviate that a lot. Need to see more game this ambitious, really.
6: Rising Storm; When I played multiplayer FPS, I never feel as helpless in other games as in Rising Storm (or Red Orchestra 2), period. Consider that it's supposed to be more realistic FPS than others? That's definitely a GOOD thing. Also flamethrowers, can't forget the GLORIOUS flamethrowers.
7: Hate+; It's not as great as Analogue, and I can see the twist coming LONG before it's revealed (probably even before the game's released, even), but you know what, I still like it. The writing's still awesome, it expands a lot more into the world, and the harem route is just hilarious.
8: Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves; A bit of a surprise hit, really. Eventually bought it after seeing TB's video, and it's pretty darn awesome. 19th century Canada isn't common setting, the game's much harder (in a good way) than what I thought initially, and unlike something similar like Orcs Must Die, it actually makes the combat pretty tense.
9: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed; A little surprised I actually like this, but I did. Lots of fun, and also hard as nails. I think we need more kart racing games on PC.
10: One Way Heroics; Yeah it's roguelike, yeah it looks simple, yeah it looks like it's from RPG Maker (though it's actually a different one, I think it's forked?)...but you know what? It's fun, it's DARN fun. Lots of customization, unlocks, and multiple endings. Several hilarious dialogues, and ability to carry items to future games. It's really fun.
x: Don't Starve; Fun survival game, with some funny, weird elements in. Shame that there's quite a bit of punishment mechanic for doing too many of the same though (turkey eating berries if you harvest too much, Krampus coming if you kill too many rabbits/birds, etc)
x: Agarest: Generations of War; Yeah, I like it. Bite me. There's not that many Japanese SRPG on PC and I really savor any that's available.
x: Toki Tori 2+; Quite different from original game, but I love the fact that you now interact with environment with sounds. Quite fun puzzles, cute graphics, good music, and tells simple story through only visuals.
x: Tomb Raider; Surprising amount of fun actually, though I don't know about paying full bucks on it (got from Amazon).
x: War of the Human Tanks; Pretty darn fun doujin RTS..ish game that has big emphasis on scouting and one-hit kill. Also dem chibi.
x: Risk of Rain; Also another fun one. Hard as nails, the concept of time vs difficulty is cool, awesome gameplay. Just need randomized levels.
x: Wargame: AirLand Battle; another awesome Eugen RTS...nearly forgotten by most.

Most disappointing:
* Bioshock Infinite; I wasn't hyped before playing it...and as it turns out, is a good reason: meh combat, okay story, linear as frack without immersion that got me for Metro LL, setting so underutilized I question why did they even bother make them detailed, and compared to Bioshock it's just not great (and I do find several faults with Bioshock, so this is even worse). Awesome art and design, though.
* X: Rebirth; Egosoft, I am disappoint. I was so hyped up for this game that the release...ouch. Bad performance, no automation for various stuff, the on foot section is not necessary, and probably several more things.

Wait, I'm too late? Darn.

d00d3n

4. Metro: Last Light; I don't get why people like Bioshock Infinite so much, because I think that Metro LL is much better. While its story isn't THAT great, it has much MUCH better immersion to me. Improved stealth helps loads.

Wait, I'm too late? Darn.

Another Metro vote wasted. HOW DARE YOU!?!

Yeah, there's no suspense at all for the winner this year. Top 10 will be interesting to see, I think.

Yeah, but I'm interested to see what the rest of the top 10 list is and the rest. Don't they usually break it out into other data points too and it's usually highly detailed.

Even if the winner is obvious, I really like this system because it usually points me to a game or two that I never considered like Splinter Cell Blacklist or Nino Kuni(sic?). Hell, I completely missed the boat with the Shin Megami series or whatever it's called. I have a copy of Digital Devil Saga that I never got really far in for the PS2, but I didn't realize the series was so popular. Come to think of it, the last JRPG I really played with any fervor was DQVIII, so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to the genre.

Just from a cursory glance, seems TLoU ran away with #1. #2 is more interesting. Seems like it might be Bioshock, Mario, or Zelda. Or maybe none of those, I'm bad with polling and have had professors that can attest to that.

I don't really agree, but democracy's a hell of a thing, so the results don't have to agree with me!

Regiruler

I did a quick look-through of the thread every little while and these were some of the ballots that jumped out on me based on games that they picked, comments they made, or presentation/visual setup of the ballot:

*not a single Regi was given*

I'm sure I missed some great stuff, but these were some of my favourites

I need to step my game up.
I had no idea this was such a big ordeal.

I guess I really need to replay TLoU one of these days. I can't say I especially want to, there were several parts I don't feel like slogging through again, but maybe something will click the 2nd time that I missed on the first run through. I did think it was a good game but it's my #8 for the year and I almost left it off my top 10 entirely.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Don't worry, in a few years we can have a MGS4-esque "Was The Last of Us really 2013's GOTY?" re-vote and see it win all over again.

And never hear the end of it.

Fandangox

wait, is this talk of throwing out TLOU ballots real

my sarcasm meter is off the charts

I am pretty sure it would be a side stat thing.

Like, "Here's the 2013 GAF GOTY" "and here is what the results would look like if we removed all of the ballots with TLOU in #1"

Last of Us is pretty obviously number one by a wide margin, but it will be really interesting to see the rest. I thought GTA5 was a lock, but its support seems to have fallen off a bit. I wonder if Bioshock managed to jump up and steal the 2 spot?

Bioshock #2 by a mile, still less than 1/2 of TLoU
GTA V barely ahead of 3D World by last count for #3, it might have pulled away or 3D World might have caught up?
Fire Emblem: Awakening should be #5, but unlike the soundtrack of the year thread I didn't tally everything, so there could be a spoiler

So.... GTA?

nah, expect all Nintendo games to receive gigantic boosts

AniHawk

if you put the last of us as your number 1 youre dead to me

i didn't even have it in my top ten, or as my #1 honorable mention!!

Don't worry, in a few years we can have a MGS4-esque "Was The Last of Us really 2013's GOTY?" re-vote and see it win all over again.

And never hear the end of it.

the only other contentious year was 2006 with twilight princess. it seemed like interest died during the 2004 revote though.

not sure what would have topped the 2006 list though. okami, oblivion, and gears of war all seem like good candidates.

edit: i forgot about 2010 with mass effect 2 though. that one still surprises me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am pretty sure it would be a side stat thing.

Like, "Here's the 2013 GAF GOTY" "and here is what the results would look like if we removed all of the ballots with TLOU in #1"

But can you imagine if they started with that. It would probably make the thread incredibly hostile and hilarious/sad.

if you put the last of us as your number 1 youre dead to me

Eh, this is far from a worst case scenario, joke or no.

Yeah, but I'm interested to see what the rest of the top 10 list is and the rest. Don't they usually break it out into other data points too and it's usually highly detailed.

Even if the winner is obvious, I really like this system because it usually points me to a game or two that I never considered like Splinter Cell Blacklist or Nino Kuni(sic?). Hell, I completely missed the boat with the Shin Megami series or whatever it's called. I have a copy of Digital Devil Saga that I never got really far in for the PS2, but I didn't realize the series was so popular. Come to think of it, the last JRPG I really played with any fervor was DQVIII, so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to the genre.

Crank this back up and get back in the loop right.

Has GAF ever done a GotF (Game of the Forever)?

Do you WANT the servers to meltdown?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has GAF ever done a GotF (Game of the Forever)?
I think we need distance on TLOU, because it would probably win that too.

Mass Effect 2 was good though.

Must have been a different game from the one I played.

Just looked at the GOTY awards thread, god damn I still can't believe it beat Red Dead Redemption.

Edit: And Bayonetta, And God of War 3. AssBros didn't even make the top 10 and neither did New Vegas. Good god 2010 was full of bad picks on GAF's part.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not even I voted Mass Effect 2 as my #1 in 2010.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (AS) - 4 points
2. Bayonetta (AS) - 3 points
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns (NA) - 3 points
4. Mass Effect 2 (NA) - 2 points
5. Vanquish (AS) - 2 points
6. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor (AS) - 2 points
7. Super Meat Boy (NA) - 1 point
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (NA) - 1 point
9. Minecraft (EU) - 1 point
10. VVVVVV (EU) - 1 point

Regiruler

But can you imagine if they started with that. It would probably make the thread incredibly hostile and hilarious/sad.
I am OK with this compromise.
Not even I voted Mass Effect 2 as my #1 in 2010.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (AS) - 4 points
2. Bayonetta (AS) - 3 points
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns (NA) - 3 points
4. Mass Effect 2 (NA) - 2 points
5. Vanquish (AS) - 2 points
6. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor (AS) - 2 points
7. Super Meat Boy (NA) - 1 point
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (NA) - 1 point
9. Minecraft (EU) - 1 point
10. VVVVVV (EU) - 1 point

Sin and Punishment only at 6 and no sonic colors?
For shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom