• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

So what games would you guys like to chart high? I hope Metal Gear Rising did well. It seemed to show up on quite a few lists. It was No. 3 on my list, but having just replayed it on PC, I can't stop thinking about it. I still stand by where I ranked it, but that hardly diminishes the game. 2013 was spectacular.

randomkid

What the heck at all these last minute SMT4 votes today!

Can I blame this one on randomkid? Let’s blame this one on randomkid.

Laughing at that placement, feels like our similarity indexes are gonna be way sympatico if my vote counts, even though I only had three games and you loathed the shit out of one of em haha. Fakeout vote had me grinning but didn't expect your number one, I had the feeling you liked but didn't really love the game? In any case, nice job summarizing what I was rambling about there in a more sensible way.

And you should check out what my buddy wrote on Asura's Wrath, I was all about that mythology too.

I was following votes just like stump was and I wanna give a shout out to adversesolution's list for saying interesting things, picking games I'd never heard of, and for that weirdly hypnotic Miku gif (never even thought about playing one of those games he made it sound oddly compelling) and also I swear at one point Empty's post was bigger because I remember it actually got me to read multiple paragraphs on the Last of Us and Bioshock by saying something new and cool about them!

After following the entire month I now wanna check out the weirdly pretty maps of Europa Universalis and try to get over being intimidated by that genre. And Device 6 too.

Good thread this year.

Sober

So what games would you guys like to chart high? I hope Metal Gear Rising did well. It seemed to show up on quite a few lists. It was No. 3 on my list, but having just replayed it on PC, I can't stop thinking about it. I still stand by where I ranked it, but that hardly diminishes the game. 2013 was spectacular.
Gone Home in top 15, so GAF can go berserk.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sin and Punishment only at 6 and no sonic colors?
For shame.

In retrospect S&P2 should have probably overruled Vanquish. But it will be a cold day in hell before anything Sonic the Speedhog goes on my GOTY list.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I asked before but it got lost. Did Derrick end up posting a list, or is he still banned?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I would like to see W101 but I know that won't happen. :p

I think Rising had a good showing. It can be a hard call on some of this, like the year Portal 2 won it seemed to get a massive boost from being on many lists instead of being the top of them.

no matter what happens, it always won soundtrack!
(I have no clue)

TWILT

Banned
Really hoping Fire Emblem did really well (my personal GotY still). Shoutouts to Pokemon XY, MGR and Mario 3D World as well.

Yeah, I'm thinking MGR is going to be the Sleeping Dogs of this year. At just a cursory glance, I saw it show up on a ton of people's lists this year. It's not going to be No. 1 obviously, but I'm thinking it might be in the top 10.

edit: Fire Emblem also seems like it's going to chart this year. Saw that in a bunch of lists.

I don't know what's worse, hyperbole like "TLOU DLC is the most important event of Obama's America" or the butthurt over the fact that maybe some just like the game enough to name it their GOTY. See below. Fucking lame either way.
SMG2 was fucking robbed in 2010.
That was my pick too but opinions etc.

AniHawk

Yes! No! ... maybe?

Naughty GAF gonna Naughty?

i. the last of us - simply one of the greatest achievements of mankind. when aliens find our lost civilizations, this will prove the context in how will lived and interacted with one another. a treasure that will be unforgotten and a beacon of light in this industry.
ii. uncharted 2 - uncharted 2.
iii. uncharted 3 - while not uncharted 2, uncharted 3 still brings a lot to the table with its humanity and action setpieces. a triumph of writing, acting, and game design.
iv. jak ii - i couldn't believe my eyes. it was like a cartoon come to life. but unlike cartoons, this had a deep, dark, and complex story, and unlike other platformers at the time, this offered variety in its gameplay in a living and breathing city. simply the greatest game of the ps2 generation.
v. jak 3 - naughty dog has a hard time following up their masterpieces, but who can blame them. that said, jak 3 may not be as good as jak ii, but it has a lot to offer players, and provides a touching ending to the trilogy.
vi. uncharted: drake's fortune - naughty dog exploded onto the new generation in a fantastic way. while no one could predict how much higher highs this series could go, it was already in contention for one of the best games of all-time when it released in 2007.
vii. jak x combat racing - unlike a lot of racing games out there, this shed the kiddie exterior that plagued titles like sonic r and konami krazy racers, and brought a level of maturity to the genre the only way jak could.
viii. crash team racing - simply a wonderful and colorful racing game.
ix. crash bandicoot 3 warped - considering it was their first game with analog controls, it holds up remarkably well. it still stands heads and shoulders among its contemporaries for its brilliant level design and challenge.
x. crash bandicoot 2 - it's hard to believe this was naughty dog's second game. while i loved crash bandicoot, this did every single thing the first one did, but better.

Gone Home in top 15, so GAF can go berserk.

That would be great. I actually think it has a chance of making at least the top 20. The gnashing of teeth will be great considering the past performance of the Walking Dead and Journey, both of which are games I truly love. If anyone liked Gone Home and hasn't seen it yet, you should check out Stumps top 10. It will make you laugh your ass off.

Neiteio

Pokémon XY, while not in my Top 10, really was a tremendous game, both in quantity and quality. It was also one of my most-played games this year, in the hundreds of hours. It was the first Pokémon where I really went all-in on the competitive aspect, graduating from theory-mon to real battling thanks to the streamlined accessibility of IV-breeding and EV-training. It was also the most "connected" Pokémon, with possibly the most robust set of community features Nintendo ever put in a game. And it's also the most immersive Pokémon, in full 3D with a lovely aesthetic and catchy soundtrack.

It just didn't make my list because it was so familiar -- hardly a knock against the game, since it's a near-perfect formula at this point, and they've so thoroughly fleshed it out.

Really, Grand Theft Auto 5 didn't make my list for the same reason. Like Pokémon, it's a tremendous game in quantity and quality. But it also feels highly iterative, which again, isn't a knock against the game -- it remedied so much of what was wrong with GTAIV and added so much personality and color that it's a welcome return to form. It's just that, again, the form is familiar.

Papercuts

In the soundtrack thread, MGR walked up to TLoU, RULES OF NATURE, flipped it over 200 feet in the air, and cut it into 600 itty bitty pieces.

I like the soundtrack in last of us and all but I didn't think it would have such a strong showing there. Though I guess it isn't surprising either.

Cyrano

i. the last of us - simply one of the greatest achievements of mankind. when aliens find our lost civilizations, this will prove the context in how will lived and interacted with one another. a treasure that will be unforgotten and a beacon of light in this industry.
ii. uncharted 2 - uncharted 2.
iii. uncharted 3 - while not uncharted 2, uncharted 3 still brings a lot to the table with its humanity and action setpieces. a triumph of writing, acting, and game design.
iv. jak ii - i couldn't believe my eyes. it was like a cartoon come to life. but unlike cartoons, this had a deep, dark, and complex story, and unlike other platformers at the time, this offered variety in its gameplay in a living and breathing city. simply the greatest game of the ps2 generation.
v. jak 3 - naughty dog has a hard time following up their masterpieces, but who can blame them. that said, jak 3 may not be as good as jak ii, but it has a lot to offer players, and provides a touching ending to the trilogy.
vi. uncharted: drake's fortune - naughty dog exploded onto the new generation in a fantastic way. while no one could predict how much higher highs this series could go, it was already in contention for one of the best games of all-time when it released in 2007.
vii. jak x combat racing - unlike a lot of racing games out there, this shed the kiddie exterior that plagued titles like sonic r and konami krazy racers, and brought a level of maturity to the genre the only way jak could.
viii. crash team racing - simply a wonderful and colorful racing game.
ix. crash bandicoot 3 warped - considering it was their first game with analog controls, it holds up remarkably well. it still stands heads and shoulders among its contemporaries for its brilliant level design and challenge.
x. crash bandicoot 2 - it's hard to believe this was naughty dog's second game. while i loved crash bandicoot, this did every single thing the first one did, but better.
Greatest list. Greatest reasons. 5/5 Stars 10/10 Numbers 12/12 Obamas 100/100 Space Dandies

Fandangox

I would love to see W101 chart high, but I am not even sure if more than 20 people voted it as their #1 :C

Yeah, I'm thinking MGR is going to be the Sleeping Dogs of this year. At just a cursory glance, I saw it show up on a ton of people's lists this year. It's not going to be No. 1 obviously, but I'm thinking it might be in the top 10.

Rising will definitely show up. Consistency will help it; it's a solid number 3-6 in a ton of lists.

I'd love for 3D World (my GOTY!) and TW101 to show up, but I'm not sure if enough people played them.

Punjicide

I just played through Metal Gear Rising on PC this week, and I love it! I kinda wish I had placed it on my top 10 of 2013, but at the same time it didn't feel right for me to put it on my list because my first time playing it was a port released this year.

I have no doubt that it will be on my top 10 list for 2014, and I certainly hope it has a respectable standing once the results are posted.

I did a quick look-through of the thread every little while and these were some of the ballots that jumped out on me based on games that they picked, comments they made, or presentation/visual setup of the ballot:

I'm sure I missed some great stuff, but these were some of my favourites

Yay, made Stump's wall of fame again! Feels goodman.

Levyne

Banned
Greatest list. Greatest reasons. 5/5 Stars 10/10 Numbers 12/12 Obamas 100/100 Space Dandies

1/1 citizen kanes

I just played through Metal Gear Rising on PC this week, and I love it! I kinda wish I had placed it on my top 10 of 2013, but at the same time it didn't feel right for me to put it on my list because my first time playing it was a port released this year.

I have no doubt that it will be on my top 10 list for 2014, and I certainly hope it has a respectable standing once the results are posted.

Yep. I expect it to show up on my list next year.

Sober

That would be great. I actually think it has a chance of making at least the top 20. The gnashing of teeth will be great considering the past performance of the Walking Dead and Journey, both of which are games I truly love. If anyone liked Gone Home and hasn't seen it yet, you should check out Stumps top 10. It will make you laugh your ass off.
I'm almost certain that any of those people in Stump's post on Gone Home that also wrote a GOTY list will consist of games focused entirely on mechanical mastery, whereas most people who listed Gone Home on their list will have either also put Brothers on it as well (numbered or HM) or have a wider spread of games that touch on ludo vs. narrative.

Neiteio

This year feels therapeutic after last year's focus on Journey and TWD. I respect those games as well-made and attempting something new, but I vastly prefer this year's incredible crop of games where meaty mechanics drove the experience more than anything else. Even TLoU, with its focus on emotional storytelling, has at its core a tightly-designed stealth game with myriad mechanics, smart encounter design and controls as smooth as silk.

Papercuts

I'm almost certain that any of those people in Stump's post on Gone Home that also wrote a GOTY list will consist of games focused entirely on mechanical mastery, whereas most people who listed Gone Home on their list will have either also put Brothers on it as well (numbered or HM) or have a wider spread of games that touch on ludo vs. narrative.

I actually think games like these may not indicate that as such. I wouldn't be surprised if a good amount of people quoted there have TWD or Journey high on their list last year(if they were even members then).

I can atleast say for me, I really liked Brothers while Gone Home didn't do much for me, same with Journey last year. But I love Phoenix Wright and Platinum games at the same time. Games are weird.

zkylon

zkylewd
I did a quick look-through of the thread every little while and these were some of the ballots that jumped out on me based on games that they picked, comments they made, or presentation/visual setup of the ballot:

zkylon

I'm sure I missed some great stuff, but these were some of my favourites
yay

also while I don't think the last of us is that good, I'm ok if it is this year's goty

I'd love it if it were something like zelda or smt4 something like that, even if I haven't played them

Sad thing is, this is the first year I even got close to playing enough of the games I really wanted to for that year, and I still missed an entire console's offerings. This always seems to happen with my schedule though. Like, 2012 was a good year for me mainly because I spent half of it catching up on 2011 games.

And then of course, looking back I see that missing out on voting for Vanquish will be an eternal regret for me.

Cyrano

Sad thing is, this is the first year I even got close to playing enough of the games I really wanted to for that year, and I still missed an entire console's offerings. This always seems to happen with my schedule though. Like, 2012 was a good year for me mainly because I spent half of it catching up on 2011 games.

And then of course, looking back I see that missing out on voting for Vanquish will be an eternal regret for me.
You could probably spend an entire year of doing nothing but playing videogames from the late 90s and not even finish them. I mean... there are around 18,000 games for just the SNES.

Is there anyone who keeps track of how many videogames are actually released year-by-year? I would be very curious to see if someone actually tried to compile a list like that, and actually attempt to include all videogames from all regions (like, not just the United States).

Regiruler

I wish I was with GAF last year so I could have voted for Kid Icarus.

I could have chosen it as my LTTP vote but that's not really in the spirit of it since I played it at launch.

Forkball

I say, The Last of Us was so incredible, that it broke some sort of quality barrier and transcended past a mere "video game", transforming into some unknowable entity. Therefore, all TLOU votes should not be counted because it's not a game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
StreetPass Plaza: Monster Manor

We all know it's the best StreetPass game *looks at Flower Town*

Riposte

Wow, iconoclast made a list! That's cool.

Also I can't believe I listed Blacklist incorrectly. Forgot the Tom Clancy's part. lol

Eusis

. . . Fuck, I forgot. Ah well. I guess I didn't feel TOO strongly about most of the games aside from Bioshock Infinite as a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom