• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

People who want to post lists still should, at least that's what I would do since that's where my priorities are at.

TLoU has number 1 on lock, all the other positions are going to be quite interesting though. Main thing I wonder is whether enough people listed 3D World to get into the top 10

McNum

I don't think the winner is going to be in doubt this year, but I'm really curious to see the rest of the top 10. I hope Metal Gear Rising and Fire Emblem Awakening do well.

My prediction for the sleeper hit of this year, though, is Pokémon. I haven't seen it at number one on a lot of lists, but I'd be surprised if it isn't a top 10 game.

hmm I'm going to retract my "Bioshock is clearly #2" statement after realizing I can't count

edit: speaking of throwing #1 votes, on one page 76/93 of TLoU's points come from 19 first place votes

I think the results would be interesting if you were to throw out all #1 votes to kind of remove bias. The Last of Us is polarizing because it has a reputation to be potential GotY. Might possibly fall below first.

replace "possibly" with "might just fall out of the top 3"

Tabular

Banned
I wonder what the results would look like if we tossed out every ballot that had The Last of Us in first...

I am pretty sure it would be a side stat thing.

Like, "Here's the 2013 GAF GOTY" "and here is what the results would look like if we removed all of the ballots with TLOU in #1"

I think the results would be interesting if you were to throw out all #1 votes to kind of remove bias. The Last of Us is polarizing because it has a reputation to be potential GotY. Might possibly fall below first.

Majmun

I don't know what's worse, hyperbole like "TLOU DLC is the most important event of Obama's America" or the butthurt over the fact that maybe some just like the game enough to name it their GOTY. See below. Fucking lame either way.

Hyperbole fans and the people who are bitter over TLoU's success...

I'd say both sides are equally pathetic.

TLoU winning GOTY wouldn't just be a GAF thing. The game is getting praise from the media as well, even outshining the hyped GTA V.

From the data I'm looking at right now, if you threw out just TLoU's #1 votes only (not their entire ballots), it would rank 6th. First place votes count for nearly 68% of TLoU's total points.

Corto

Thanks Timetokill and Cheesemeister for curating this thread for another year. You guys are the Citizen Kane of GAF members. Cheers!

Massa

"remove bias"? That doesn't make any sense...

Tabular

Banned
From the data I'm looking at right now, if you threw out just TLoU's #1 votes only (not their entire ballots), it would rank 6th. First place votes count for nearly 68% of TLoU's total points.

Ok but you should throw out all 1st place votes. Otherwise I don't get the point.

Tabular

Banned
"remove bias"? That doesn't make any sense...

Your probably right. I just meant 1st place might be an agenda for some. At least that's one interpretation to explain why TLoU gets so many first place votes vs 2nd and lower. In its defense you could just as easily throw out all lists that didn't have TLoU included at all as having an agenda as well. Not sure if that makes any sense either.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think all votes that don't have The Wonderful 101 at #1 should be thrown out. Otherwise teh voting is teh bias!

Majmun

Your probably right. I just meant 1st place might be an agenda for some. You could just as easily throw out all lists that didn't have TLoU included at all as having an agenda as well. Not sure if that makes any sense either.

I don't even understand why some people are interested in removing TLoU for "statistical information".

A lot of people liked TLoU. Just get over it.

I can fully get people who are salty about MGS4 GOTY scandal (tho it is my GOTY as well :lol) but I can't believe people would be salty about TLOU being GOTY... and it isn't even my GOTY!

My head hurts.

AniHawk

I can fully get people who are salty about MGS4 GOTY scandal (tho it is my GOTY as well :lol) but I can't believe people would be salty about TLOU being GOTY... and it isn't even my GOTY!

My head hurts.

yeah. tlou's pretty good. i take more issue with uncharted 2 getting the number one spot when it's tlou except a lot worse, and even then i don't really care because what else came out in 2009?

I'd love to know the same stat for Dota 2, plenty of people just name-dropping it at #1 and leaving.

Omikaru

Guys, let's just throw out all votes that have a game listed as #1, regardless of what it is. It's the only way we can truly remove all biases in a poll where NeoGAF's userbase gets to express all its biases for the year in the form of a list.

Gotta be objective.

benny_a

I don't even understand why some people are interested in removing TLoU for "statistical information".

I think we should multiply the points each game gets by the relative install base it can reach. (Console only, just to make it easier.)

Just some example to demonstrate what I mean:
Assassin's Creed IV gets 63% of the points total. (PS3 + PS4 + 360 + Xbone + WiiU)
The Last of Us gets 29.5% of the points total. (PS3 only)
The Wonderful 101 gets 1.44% of the points total. (WiiU only)
Just Dance 4 gets 100% of the points total (P3 + PS4 + 360 + Xbone + WiiU)
Knack gets 1.55% of the points total. (PS4 only)

Jucksalbe

Banned

I guess because the race isn't close this year, so you have to entertain yourself with other stats instead? I don't know. The race for #2 could be interesting at least.

I think we should multiply the points each game gets by the relative install base it can reach. (Console only, just to make it easier.)

Assassin's Creed IV gets 63% of the points total. (PS3 + PS4 + 360 + Xbone + WiiU)

If anything, you'd have to increase the score for the games on a console with a lower install base. Don't, of course, before anyone takes this seriously.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Why multiply? Shouldn't you divide by that?

benny_a

If anything, you'd have to increase the score for the games on a console with a lower install base. Don't, of course, before anyone takes this seriously.
No, I want to encourage multiplatform releases. Imagine how much better Tearaway on PC with 1080p/60fps would be.

Why multiply? Shouldn't you divide by that?
See above! We want to remove teh bias from those zealots that think exclusive games are good.

I did a quick look-through of the thread every little while and these were some of the ballots that jumped out on me based on games that they picked, comments they made, or presentation/visual setup of the ballot:

Yuterald

adversesolutions

Corto

fuzzylogic

Yuterald with Zeno Clash 2 at #3? Niiiiiiiiiice.

Yay more people like adversesolutions, Corto (serious props for Starseed Pilgrim at #1), and fuzzylogic going with GIFs like me but not sticking the landing for every single entry ;) And looks like some of them were done with Gifcam (all dat noise), low framerate, and just not looking so great XD Nah, I'm just being a dick.

Next time I need to decide on a consistent width and height for the gifs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I did a quick look-through of the thread every little while and these were some of the ballots that jumped out on me based on games that they picked, comments they made, or presentation/visual setup of the ballot:

I'm sure I missed some great stuff, but these were some of my favourites
Thank you. <3

I have questions about Beyond and Game & Wario for you, but I'll save those for a PM. I do wish I could have gone back and edited a few things in my text or expanded on a lot of points but I just ran out of steam and time. Next year I won't leave this to the absolute last minute. First time I've done that and I regret it.

Laughing at that placement, feels like our similarity indexes are gonna be way sympatico if my vote counts, even though I only had three games and you loathed the shit out of one of em haha. Fakeout vote had me grinning but didn't expect your number one, I had the feeling you liked but didn't really love the game? In any case, nice job summarizing what I was rambling about there in a more sensible way.

And you should check out what my buddy wrote on Asura's Wrath, I was all about that mythology too.
It wasn't any secret that I just plain disliked Ni no Kuni. Either way, I know what your ballot's like cuz I read pretty much every post in here (especially by members whom I'm familiar with) and we still had more similarities to discuss on and off of GAF, and that's good enough for me.

And thank you for introducing me to Attack of the Friday Monsters at the last minute. I loved every second of that game, and I felt that it did what Ni no Kuni set out to accomplish in a more cohesive and heartfelt way.

About SMT4, to be honest, that was the last writeup I did, but by the end I was getting so nauseous and sick (and really, if my friend could say something, he'd probably say I sounded like a baby because my head was hurting so much, and he sent me off to bed for that specific reason) that I couldn't put as much effort into that writeup as I would have liked. I loved SMT4. It took me a while to get through it due to time constraints, but it did a lot of stuff mechanically that I liked. I don't like how unbalanced it could get towards the end, but that was the way the game was built. If I end up having more time in the coming weeks, I'll certainly post extended writeups elsewhere. As I was thinking about it writing my list today, SMT4 continued to stand out ahead of the herd, and that's why I put it at the top of the list.

Great year for games this year, though. Much better than 2012. It was harder coming up with a list this year, but in a dramatically good way. There are a lot of things I wish I could have gotten to, but in the end, I feel like I got to the best stuff for me.

Again: Time and Eternity is poop of the highest order. Don't play it.

Omikaru

*snip*

I'm sure I missed some great stuff, but these were some of my favourites

This is a really excellent list. Discovered several great GOTY ballots here.

Also, thanks for including mine! I was worried when I wrote a wall of text that found its way on the bottom of the page that no one would read it, so it's nice to see that wasn't the case.

demidar

I also want to thank Stump for including me in his list.

Seeing people make multiple posts to say what they need to makes me regret not doing that for my list. I had so much more to say. Ah well, maybe if I have time next year.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I was on Stumps list as well, awesome! Now what would the result be only based on his list I wonder? :)

Tabular

Banned

Eusis

Huh, wonder how that works out for something like Bioshock Infinite. Would be kind of funny if it still held its place because while polarizing it wasn't outright "this has no place on the top ten!" bad, at least for most people.
People were mad that MGS4 was GotY 2008. It was brought up in threads a lot, with people saying that it played out like a movie and had an assortment of other issues.

Then we did a revote, and MGS4 won again. And people were mad.
Wonder if that'd be different had there been a stronger game? On the other hand Fallout 3 WAS that kind of game, and there's probably more Bethesda resentment than MGS4 resentment. But man, I may not agree with Uncharted 2 winning GotY 2009, but at least it makes some sense while MGS4 was a train wreck finale yet... nope, GOTY! I'd kind of want a 2009 revote actually, but it'd probably just close the gap between Uncharted 2 and second place, with either Arkham Asylum holding or Demon's Souls swapping now that more played it.

Chettlar

Banned
Just wanted to comment that I read your post and I really agree. For my GOTY 2012 list I just did a list of interesting games I played, rather than a ranked ballot, and I said this about 30 Flights of Loving:

It's just this interesting little object. Really nice.

Definitely. Interesting that simple things like pealing an orange made the experience so much better. I hope other developers are taking note.

People were mad that MGS4 was GotY 2008. It was brought up in threads a lot, with people saying that it played out like a movie and had an assortment of other issues.

Then we did a revote, and MGS4 won again. And people were mad.
The 2012 list is much better though, with great games such as Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space getting the recognition they deserved and overhyped flawed games like LBP pushed back to where they belonged. The way it looks now, 2008 voting was truly Sony fans' last stand before Sony managed to actually turn things around the following year.

It would be interesting to hold revotes for the following years as well. I feel 2010 GOTY might as well have a different result now.

fake edit: the 2008 revote had negative votes too? Wouldn't that be an interesting feature to implement in the actual GOTY too? It might somewhat compensate for a game being there simply due to everyone having played it and give more room to shine for niche games with a passionate following.

AniHawk

The 2012 list is much better though, with great games such as Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space getting the recognition they deserved and overhyped flawed games like LBP pushed back to where they belonged. The way it looks now, 2008 voting was truly Sony fans' last stand before Sony managed to actually turn things around the following year.

It would be interesting to hold revotes for the following years as well. I feel 2010 GOTY might as well have a different result now.

fake edit: the 2008 revote had negative votes too? Wouldn't that be an interesting feature to implement in the actual GOTY too? It might somewhat compensate for a game being there simply due to everyone having played it and give more room to shine for niche games with a passionate following.

i did a 2004 (2012 edition) too, and timetokill and cheesemeister were holding goty threads going back to the 90s and working their way up to when i started doing them. the idea is that we were going to go back and forth, but after the 2004 thread, i never saw another from them, so the concept died.

if i started again, i'd go with 2005-2007. i would also like to catch up through at least 2010, but 2009 and 2010 were timetokill's and cheesemeister's, so i wouldn't want to step on any toes.

i did a 2004 (2012 edition) too, and timetokill and cheesemeister were holding goty threads going back to the 90s and working their way up to when i started doing them. the idea is that we were going to go back and forth, but after the 2004 thread, i never saw another from them, so the concept died.

It got to be too big a headache with questions of when people played games from a certain year, what year games came out in which regions (see SMB3), and having to build a big spreadsheet containing many niche games for only a few participants. Once a year is fine for the current GOTY, but any more frequent is too much of a hassle.

demidar

MGS4 is great in that there's a huge amount of valid strategies to deal with encounters, both stealth and non-stealth, fatal and non-fatal. Seriously, when's the last game that lets you shoot a soldier's radio to stop him from calling backup? Or hold up a soldier and shake him down, then crush his balls to subdue him (which obviously doesn't work on female Frogs and it results in being berated and kicked to the floor)? So many Easter Eggs too, like Vamp instantly dying to the Solar Gun, or increasing your stamina by perving at those pin-ups.

Although the other games aren't slouches either. Valkyria Chronicles actually made it to top ten which is amazing. Fallout 3 is also pretty good (if it was New Vegas it would've beated MGS4 in my opinion). Mirror's Edge was the last EA/DICE game I enjoyed, Dead Space is not my thing, but it's good that it's there. Persona 4 getting the recognition it deserves too, and would be my personal number one if I had played it and voted in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom