• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staf

I looked back at the votes, and the influx of Bayonetta 2 being #1 really jumped very high once Dragon Age started getting a ton of votes. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins solely based on the fanbase's initiative to get it to win.

Don't forget to put your tin foil hat on mate!

are you telling me that fans of a video game might be voting for their favorite game to win

whoa

what a fucking concept

Might need to alert Evilore and the mod staff to get the bottom of this whole nasty business

Staf

are you telling me that fans of a video game might be voting for their favorite game to win

whoa

what a fucking concept

Might need to alert Evilore and the mod staff to get the bottom of this whole nasty business

Just ban all who don't have Dragon age in first place. Those people clearly have an agenda.

Majestad

Banned
I looked back at the votes, and the influx of Bayonetta 2 being #1 really jumped very high once Dragon Age started getting a ton of votes. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins solely based on the fanbase's initiative to get it to win.

What a bunch of nonsense. I plan to vote for Bayonetta 2 in the future, because is undoubtedly the best game released this year, not because some other game is getting some votes too. Lmao, what fucking logic is this?

LX_Theo

Banned
I can just post this again? Because some people are convincing themselves of stuff for no reason other than (from what I can guess) trying to reject any negative framing of the situation whatsoever

2KODfWh.gif

Point isn't that its a conspiracy, nor that its a bad thing. Just that its happening.

My guess is that its the victim complex fans of the game seem to have here that spurs on greater mobilization of a fanbase, but that's just a guess. If you have a problem with an opposing perspective on an situation. Get over it.

What a bunch of nonsense. I plan to vote for Bayonetta 2 in the future, because is undoubtedly the best game released this year, not because some other game is getting some votes too. Lmao, what fucking logic is this?

Maybe the Dragon Age #1 vote people are trying to stop Bayonetta 2 from winning.

The trend is there. There's no arguing this.

#factsonly
#staywoke

saucylion

Not really sure about the release dates of all of the indie games I enjoyed so I'm going to skip those. Pretty disappointing year to be honest though. All the games I listed are solid but I wouldn't call any of them amazing.

1. Dragon Age Inquisition ; most complete game. Had a ton of content and was a lot of fun from start to finish.
2. Hearthstone ; most addicting game this year.
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; certain parts of this game were the best moments of gaming this year. Too bad the game was too simple and some jokes started getting old later on or this would have easily been game of the year.
4. Dark Souls II ; Not as brutal as Dark Souls, probably because I am used to the formula, but still a great game
5. Mario Kart 8 ; local coop saves the day. Pretty boring to play alone and online though.
6. Titanfall ; most fun I had with online multiplayer this year. Would have been nice to get an over the top campaign as well though.
7. Shadow of Mordor ; fun combat, and very fun nemesis system. Gets a bit too easy as soon as you can take over enemies' minds though.
8. Fantasy Life ; Very addicting and I don't know why.
9. Super Smash Bros ; like mario kart this game is great to bust out when I have friends over but is just boring to play alone.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Intriguing. Now tell me about how the Illuminati is behind all this, and how we never landed on the moon.

Majestad

Banned
I can just post this again? Because some people are convincing themselves of stuff for no reason other than (from what I can guess) trying to reject any negative framing of the situation whatsoever

2KODfWh.gif

Point isn't that its a conspiracy, nor that its a bad thing. Just that its happening.

My guess is that its the victim complex fans of the game seem to have here that spurs on greater mobilization of a fanbase, but that's just a guess. If you have a problem with an opposing perspective on an situation. Get over it.

No, you are just babbling nonsense and need to acknowledge it. Go.

Nevermind the fact that the first 3 pages and the last 3 pages of votes have almost the exact same #1 votes for Bayonetta 2

there's definitely a trend here

LX_Theo

Banned
Nevermind the fact that the first 3 pages and the last 3 pages of votes have almost the exact same #1 votes for Bayonetta 2

there's definitely a trend here

As is the case when you cut out the part where it happened. But hey, whatever makes you feel better. Its just a trend I noticed when I went to count up the votes for games I was interested in how they were doing. If the mere idea of it being a thing is SO insulting to you, I'll have you know that ignorance is bliss.

SykoTech

Somehow, this thread is currently worse than it was when people were Reserving posts. Preemptive arguments about the winner, come on. Now part of me hopes neither Dragon Age or Bayo win so both sides can shut up.

Anyways, some great posts in here. Sorta liking that there's no clear winner. Makes things seem more diverse compared to last year when The Last of Us slaughtered everything, GTAV included. Will wait until after Christmas to post mine, mainly for Wii U stuff.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No, the idea is that there's a greater initiative to vote Bayo2 for some silly reasons. As in, more of the fanbase mobilizing and voting simply because they want it to win.

The trend is there. There's no arguing that.

EDIT: To be fair, it does seem like there's this whole subsection of GAF that gets insulted by the very idea of a game like DAI winning over it. I'll leave it at that, though

Can you please provide proof for all these statements? Not things that are flying in your mind, show some posts, threads, show that subsection of GAF? Some facts would be nice. Also trends, do some graphs, evolution of voting, where do you think the trend started etc. Put some facts behind the facts you think you discovered.

LX_Theo

Banned
Can you please provide proof for all these statements? Not things that are flying in your mind, show some posts, threads, show that subsection of GAF? Some facts would be nice. Also trends, do some graphs, evolution of voting, where do you think the trend started etc. Put some facts behind the facts you think you discovered.
Why? Because some people are insulted over someone observing something and not framing it in a praising light? I'm not here to prove my observations. I'm here to make a comment on them. You know, like how you do on a forum? I'm not suggesting some end all be all theory. I'm suggesting something I wouldn't be surprised if it was happening based on what I've seen in GOTY threads for a while now. If a person has a problem with an opposing viewpoint on an observation, they really need to get over it.

Adding some of my own personal screenshots to jazz up my list.

15671522050_ed008ed69c_c.jpg

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; I honestly didn't expect to enjoy this game so much. I couldn't get into Dragon Age: Origins, though I can't remember why. But this game got me hooked insanely fast. Each area has a ton of stuff to do, and it's not all pointless filler. The combat is fun enough that I don't mind just wandering around a huge area to just fight stuff. I also love games where there's a ton of loot for me to discover. Dungeons are worth exploring, and dragons are worth killing for the loot they reward you with.

The game is also very pretty. I couldn't wait to visit each new territory just to see more of the art design they've brought to life in this world. So far I've sunk over 100 hours into this game and I'm still playing.

15497420431_4653d289b5_c.jpg

2. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; This game is just pure fun. The nemesis system is one of the most innovative mechanics I've ever seen in a video game, and that alone is worth putting it on the top of this list. I really enjoyed the combat. It pulls off the Batman combat system REALLY well. I love how your character feels more and more powerful as you level up and unlock new abilities.

The world itself is a bit of a let-down, especially for a setting like Mordor. The way everything is layed out makes you feel like you're running around a giant arena made for killing orcs. You don't get the impression that it's a living, breathing world. There are no real set piece locations or landmarks. Just... stuff scattered around a giant bowl. If they make a sequel, I really hope they improve the world design.

3. Child of Light ; I loved the art style and dialog. The battle system was very fun as well. I was sad when this game was over because I just wanted to keep playing more and more....

14376425452_48f0de77f2_c.jpg

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Really surprised by how fun this turned out to be. The trailers made me think it would be kinda bad. But once I started playing and got the feel of the shooting, I could not put it down.

15344055336_53a96e5757_c.jpg

5. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ; The Astronauts really created one of the most beautiful video games to date, and they did it in Unreal Engine 3. The length was perfect. The story was good and thought-provoking. All in all, an easy pick for my top 5.

6. Transistor ; This game goes high on my list for the art design and combat system. However, the plot was so vague that I barely understood what was going on. If that were more fleshed out and incorporated into the game a bit better, I would have loved this game.

15621460150_37d10a5d55_c.jpg

7. Lords of the Fallen ;

8. South Park: The Stick of Truth ;

9. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; First Call of Duty I've enjoyed in ages.

10. Kingdom Rush: Origins ;

silva1991

1- Bayonetta 2

2- Dark Souls 2

3- Kingdom Hearts 2.5

4- Sunset Overdrive

5- Child of Light

haven't finished Dragon Age and Persona Q yet

Koralsky

1. Alien: Isolation - design wise, bravest AAA product of the year.
2. GTA V Remaster
3. DriveClub
4. The Wolf Among Us
5. Monument Valley
6. Hohokum
7. Infamous: Second Son
8. LittleBigPlanet 3
9. Murasaki Baby
10. Wolfenstein: The New Order

Honorable mentions: CoD: AW, Child of Light, The Last of Us Remastered, Tomb Raider: Remastered, LittleBigPlanet 3, The Evil Withing, Never Alone, AC: Rogue, PES 15, Steam World Dig, Towerfall Ascension, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, Transistor

I see that some people are ignoring this rule... unless I don't understand it.

You must have at least one comment in your ballot or it may not be counted. The comment must be more substantial than "GOTF lol" or what have you. Posting without comments may also subject you to a ban.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why? Because some people are insulted over someone observing something and not framing it in a praising light? I'm not here to prove my observations. I'm here to make a comment on them. You know, like how you do on a forum? I'm not suggesting some end all be all theory. I'm suggesting something I wouldn't be surprised if it was happening based on what I've seen in GOTY threads for a while now. If a person has a problem with an opposing viewpoint on an observation, they really need to get over it.

Ah, ok. I thought you said you are basing your argument on facts. If it's just an opinion based on your own instinct then fine.

Edit: I still haven't seen anywhere that subsection of GAF that would be insulted if DA:I wins. I saw just praise for this game around here and in general.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
1. Infamous: Second Son
2. Shadow of Mordor
3. LBP3
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition
5. Destiny
6. South Park: The Stick of Truth

LX_Theo

Banned
Ah, ok. I thought you said you are basing your argument on facts. If it's just an opinion based on your own instinct then fine.

Edit: I still haven't seen anywhere that subsection of GAF that would be insulted if DA:I wins. I saw just praise for this game around here and in general.

Game Awards giving it to DAI and the subsequent thread of something being wrong with Bayo2 in getting GOTY awards gave me that impression. Between that and general GOTY comments in various threads after, it gave an impression that the fanbase felt victimized by it all and that at least GAF would vote it GOTY.

I'll end it there, though. I've given you my general thought process on it, and that's really all you should need.

Timeaisis

2KODfWh.gif

Bayonetta 2 isn't my #1 game of the year, but I think it's excellent and hope it wins GAF GOTY. Where do I fit into this conspiracy?

hatchx

Banned
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth: certain parts of this game were the best moments of gaming this year. Too bad the game was too simple and some jokes started getting old later on or this would have easily been game of the year.
4. Dark Souls II: Not as brutal as Dark Souls, probably because I am used to the formula, but still a great game
5. Mario Kart 8: local coop saves the day. Pretty boring to play alone and online though.
6. Titanfall: most fun I had with online multiplayer this year. Would have been nice to get an over the top campaign as well though.
7. Shadow of Mordor: fun combat, and very fun nemesis system. Gets a bit too easy as soon as you can take over enemies' minds though.
8. Fantasy Life: Very addicting and I don't know why.
9. Super Smash Bros: like mario kart this game is great to bust out when I have friends over but is just boring to play alone.

Your list gave me a chuckle. I'm like you, I find it very hard to point out strengths in a game without atleast mentioning its weakness.

Hope you enjoy 2015 more!

1. Burial at Sea Episode 2: Just amazing. I never imagined anything like that from a DLC. A wonderful ending to one of the best series. Thinking about this DLC gives me the chills. Even if I would have played everything from 2014 this would be still my number 1

2. Far Cry 4 Really loving it so far

3. South Park - The Stick of Truth: Enjoyed it a lot. I'm a huge South Park fan and the jokes were on point. So much fan service, it was incredible. The game itself however was kind of weak. To easy, fights got boring fast. Bust still enjoyed it.

antibolo

Banned
(WIP)

1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; One of the most gripping games I have ever played. Will hopefully prove that people do want visual novels in the West.
2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; Ideally I would put DR 1 & 2 as a single entry, but since they were released as separate games in the West, they will have to take both 1 and 2 because I can't bring myself to pick only one.
3. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd ; My ultimate feel good game, when I just want to relax after (or before) a hard day at work.
4. Bayonetta 2 ; Platinum Games proves once again that they are the undisputed kings of "character action" games. Special kudos to Nintendo, who proved that Nintendoes what Sega don't.
5. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- ; GUILTY GEAR IS BAAAAAAACK!!!

(order not finalized yet)
6. Shovel Knight ;
7. Hyrule Warriors ;
8. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; The gameplay was too easy and somewhat broken, but the humor kept me going. And I haven't watched South Park in more than a decade so that's saying something.
9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Retro Studio's previous throwback at the DKC franchise was somewhat unrefined and dull, but this second time around they proved that they sure can do it right. Oh and the original music composer is back, what more could you ask for??

(honorable mentions)
x. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax ; Didn't feel like having two fighting games in my top 10 but I definitely do love P4AU. Very accessible yet deep fighting game with gorgeous pixel art.
x. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Yeah ok I had to include this other fighting game as well, I mean it's fuckin' Smash. I'm not the biggest fan of Smash's gameplay mechanics, but the cynical Nintendo fanboy in me still needed it straight in mah veins on launch day.
x. Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition ; A solid remaster of the original PC game. Including as an honorable mention because it's one of the few games I bothered to finish this year, but at the same time didn't feel like it was Top 10 material.

http://i.imgur.com/2KODfWh.gif[img]

My guess is that its the victim complex fans of the game seem to have here that spurs on greater mobilization of a fanbase, but that's just a guess. If you have a problem with an opposing perspective on an situation. Get over it.[/QUOTE]

You do realize you're acting like you have a persecution complex while criticizing people acting like they have a persecution complex, right? And then you go and post that something is sailing over the head of other people twice in 5 posts.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just an observation.

My favorite part of this thread is reading the eligible games list and realizing how many games I thought came out last year.

Servbot24

Banned

Because without any data behind your thoughts it's just shit-posting that is steering the thread off the rails.

You do realize you're acting like you have a persecution complex while criticizing people acting like they have a persecution complex, right? And then you go and post that something is sailing over the head of other people twice in 5 posts.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just an observation.

"but see I'm not saying it was negative or coming down on people voting! I'm just made an observation about fanbases voting for silly reasons and how some people seem soooo offended by the thought of my second favorite game of the year winning. I'm not persecuting or saying that's definitely whats happening here, but ya know...it could be, maybe. It wouldn't surprise me. Just saying, is all. Don't take it the wrong way."

Vire

"but see I'm not saying it was negative or coming down on people voting! I'm just made an observation about fanbases voting for silly reasons and how some people seem soooo offended by the thought of my second favorite game of the year winning. I'm not persecuting or saying that's definitely whats happening here, but ya know...it could be, maybe. It wouldn't surprise me. Just saying, is all. Don't take it the wrong way."

This reminds me of that Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where they joke about the saying "No offense, but...".

Ovek

7Member7
1. Dragon Age Inquisition ; A damn fine return for Bioware and leaves me with just a little hope the new Mass Effect game might be "good".

2. The Last of Us - Left Behind ; The best DLC... well ever. It's a continuing emotional ride from the the original game that only Naughty Dog are capable to doing.

3. Infamous: First Light ; It's better than the main game with more focused story with a better flow and main character.

4. Elite: Dangerous ; It's Elite with pretty gfx, what's not to love?

5. Shovel Knight ; It's a game that made me love platform games again and it's been a long time since I liked one.

6. Transistor ; From the story, game play and music it's a wonderful experience.

7. South Park - The Stick of Truth ; Loved it and I have no idea why.

8. Infamous: Second Son ; It's a Sony first party title they haven't managed to botch that's impressive on it's own.

9. Wolfenstein - The New Order ; Best FPS reboot ever!

10. Lords of the Fallen ; It's a rip off yeah but you don't see Dark Souls 2 on my list.

Honorable Mention:
x. Destiny ; I played it a lot and then I didn't ;)

1. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Crazy that one of the best turn-based console JRPGs of the generation was western-developed and based on South Park.
2. Sen no Kiseki II ; Maybe one of these days you guys can play this. I actually played through both SnK I and II this year. Loved the shift from 2D to full 3D turn-based console JRPG goodness.
3. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Versus Full Boost ;
4. Ryu ga Gotoku Isshin! ;
5. The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen ;
6. Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories ;
7. The Evil Within ;

Honorable mention
x. Gundam Breaker 2 : It just came out, can't really rate it.

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; My favorite Bioware game since Mass Effect 2. Great characters, combat, music, and exploration. A game that truly has it all. My only gripe is that the game is a bit glitchy, but that's a minor quibble.
2. Far Cry 4 ; Far Cry 3 in a new setting. More of the same great gameplay, but without a crappy main character like Jason Brody. Pagan Min is an awesome antagonist, better than Vaas in my opinion. Some of the most fun I've had with an open world game in a long time.
3. Infamous: Second Son ; The best Infamous game by a country mile. Better characters and combat compared to the previous games. And one of the best looking games I've played.
4. Dark Souls II ; More Dark Souls. How can that be a bad thing? I enjoyed it just as much as the first game, if not more so. Not enough Solaire, though.
5. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The Nemesis system is really neat, and leads to a lot of cool emergent gameplay moments. Sure, it rips off Arkham combat, but there are worse things to rip off!
6. Ultra Street Fighter IV ; I had lapsed a bit on Street Fighter, but a whole new re-release with more characters was just what I needed to get back into it.
7. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; An amazing look at what The Phantom Pain will be. Light on content, but rich in gameplay. Can't wait for the real MGSV to come out.
8. The Evil Within ; I've been itching for a survival horror experience from Mikami, and he delivered. Great pacing, great bosses, and a goofy story with goofy characters. A few bad chapters, though.
9. Assassin's Creed: Rogue ; AC Black Flag 2. Not that that's a bad thing. Not very original, but Shay is a great character and sailing is just as fun as ever.
10. BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea ; Wow. This DLC made me look at the BioShock Universe in a new light. The Elizabeth gameplay was a nice change of pace.

Lernaean

Banned
1. Bayonetta 2 ; I thought a lot about it, and this game kept going back and forth from No1 to No2. I settled with No1.
Reasons? Well quite obviously the game is phenomenal, the pacing is great, the story fills some plot-holes and together with the first game actually manages to be coherent and also much fun, it looks awesome and the gameplay is everything i ever wanted for this game. Bayonetta 2 managed to be a better game overall than Bayonetta and that means a whole lot to me. After way too much thinking, believe me, i declare it my GotY.

2. The Evil Within ; Earlier i mentioned that Bayonetta was going from No1 to No2 and back up in my mind for quite some time. Yes you guessed it, TEW is the reason.
Let's be honest, TEW is not a perfect game, it has its technical issues which start with the creation of a new development team, continues with the adoption of a weird engine for a Japanese studio, and ends up with heavy modification of said engine by that new team to fit their needs. The result wasn't disastrous, far from it, but managed to stir much discussion on whether or not TEW is good enough. And you know what? It is.
I played this game on PC, so my experience might be different that that of some other people, but the game looked amazing, it run great and that ended my technical worries.
Regarding its content, Mikami like many artists through history, made another version of his Magnum Opus, which is RE4, and whether he managed to surpass himself or not is debatable. I found many parts of TEW to be the pinnacle of his creativity, dethroning even his best works, REmake and RE4, but i also found other parts inferior to those best of his works. In its entirety, TEW is a game which, just like RE4, I'll be playing for years to come, and considering it has upcoming DLC, maybe more years than i initially thought.
Mikami formed a new team and almost made my GotY, and that's an accomplishment on it's own. I hope he was bullshitting us when he said he won't make another game, or at least i hope he reconsiders, and a better, grander and more technically stable sequel will happen, because TEW is not only a great game, but also a great story that can make a great franchise. Congratulations Tango!

3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; There's little i have to say about this game. I love Smash, and this is an amazing Smash imo. I even consider it as good as Melee, and quite honestly, in my very, very limited free time lately, the only thing i do is play Smash. Based Sakurai!

4. Mario Kart 8 ; In a year when a game like MK8 is No4, you really know some great game were released, and it's true for 2014. But that doesn't mean anything about the quality of this game. MK8 is phenomenal, it's the most fun you can have playing with friends if you don't own Smash, it looks amazing, it runs buttery smooth and deserves a place very high in every GotY list. Also its DLC is the best thing after the game itself. Never seen so much quality content in such a price before. Excellent.

5. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; A demo you said? Don't make me laugh. GZ, is one of the most technically sophisticated, inspiring and fulfilling pieces of software this year. Short, restrained, but with endless hours and replayability and more things happening in this 'open world' camp, than in some open world cities. The wait for TPP couldn't be any more painful. Also GZ is the game that made my PS4 worthwhile this year.

6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Very little to say. I don't really like platformers, i like DK, i love Retro and this game is the best 2D platformer I've ever played. Period. Tight and technical, without too much clutter, just like it should be.

7. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; OK, I'm an Atlus fanboy. I love the EO series, and i love the whole SMT multiverse, and when i'm feeling super-silly, i love the Persona series the most.
I was late to start playing this game, mostly due to spending a hell lot of time on SSBU and PKMN, but man, what a game it is. If you like EO and Persona, you simply can't miss this one, seriously.
And hopefully the more popular Persona brand name will raise awareness of the more niche EO series because it really deserves it.

8. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls ; Being a Diablo fan, i was severely disappointed with the game in the beginning. I played the game with big breaks, coming back every time a new patch was live, which admittedly made the game better, played a bit and then off again. RoS not only fixed the game, but gave it the best content so far. I now enjoy D3 immensely and i firmly believe that RoS deserves a spot in this top 10.

9. Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire ; Possibly my favorite Pokemon game(s) returns in this remake, and it feels damn good.

10. Dark Souls II ; There's something i don't like about this latest iteration of my favorite series last gen (including Demon's Souls), but it still trumps most games out there easily. I haven't played the DLC yet and i guess I'll wait for the current gen port next year for that.
The base game barely made it to the top 10 for me, but it did make it and it's worth it. And anyway if this is the B team, then FROM really has some of the most talented people working for them.

Honorable Mentions

x. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Wouldn't have a game from last year on my top 10 of this year, but as the PC port is eligible, then i thought it at least belongs to the honorable mentions. One of the best games of its genre and it didn't even have proper budget and enough production time. A sequel with none of these restraints could be the best CAG ever.

x. P.T./Silent Hills ; Just a playable teaser and already better than most full fledged games out there. Visually impressive and with spectacular lighting, creepy as hell and atmospheric, it was the best surprise this year and i can't wait to see how the game turns out.

x. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; I'm notorious of not liking FPS's, but i can't say no to a polished, singleplayer, frenetic, oldschool FPS campaign, and that's what WTNO is. Simple, mindless Nazi slaughtering fun. Who could say no to that? I know i can't.
MachineGames proving that they have it in spades, excellent work.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
1. Bayonetta 2. I ...

You're using the wrong format. You need to use ";" between the game's name and the comment, not "."

I'll end it there, though. I've given you my general thought process on it, and that's really all you should need.

Oh, I did a little counting to see where this little meltdown came from. Don't worry, it's still on the table, the difference it's not that insurmountable.

LX_Theo

Banned
Oh, I did a little counting to see where this meltdown came from. Don't worry, it's still on the table, the difference it's not that insurmountable.
Meltdown? I made a comment in my observation and a bunch of insecure nutters got all defensive and stonewall.

The reason I had the observation was because I already did the numbers and noticed that trend while counting. My goodness, people.

Denton

1. Alien: Isolation ; Simply one of the best horror games ever made, and the best Alien game ever made. Which after AvP 2 was no small task. I pray that Creative Assembly will give us continuation. They are masters at their craft (who knew?).

2. Watch Dogs ; I enjoyed a lot of Watch Dogs. Sure the story was not the greatest, and a little bit of graphics got downgraded from the 2012 demo..but the city was still beautiful as was the graphics, gameplay was a lot of stealthy fun and I loved the ambience of the game. Still hankering to go back to Chicago from time to time.

3. Risen 3: Titan Lords ; I love Piranha Bytes games. Once again they fucked up the ending, but everything before that was wonderful. So much enjoyable exploration, I love the worlds this team creates.

4. The Walking Dead: Season 2 ; Great continuation from the first season, food for thought and discussion and I loved playing as Clementine.

5. Dark Souls 2 ; Not quite as refined as the first game, but I still enjoyed my 50 hours a lot, especially the boss design is just so good.

6. The Wolf Among Us ; Another great episodic adventure. I always wait until whole season is out, it is better that way for me. Great cast of characters, interesting story and the idea behind this comic/game is simply great. Still can't help it though, I kinda wish this universe got full blown RPG Bloodlines-like treatment.

7. Lords of the Fallen ; Yeah sure, it is very much a game inspired by Severance and Dark Souls, but so what ? It is well designed and absolutely beautiful to look at. There are some rough edges and it is not as long as usual, but it is still solid and good setup for a new franchise.

8. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ; It did not get me as much as I hoped, but I cannot deny that it is one of the most beautiful games ever made, and extremely promising start for The Astronauts. Plus, Adrian Chmielarz is extremely cool and smart guy and I love reading his twitter at work :))

9. Wolfenstein: New Order ; It is a good, solid shooter with impactful, melancholic atmosphere. My main gripe is that the second half of the game is very much a grey corridor after another, which is something I loathe. Still, I did enjoy it and shooting was done extremely well. Good start for MachineGames.

10. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Not my cup of tea, but fantastic soundtrack and some monumental combat scenes made me enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom