• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

dude
1. Wasteland 2 ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. This War of Mine ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. The Banner Saga ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Transistor ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Broken Age Act 1 ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.

Will Edit more soon.

1. Mario Kart 8

I don't know if this is the game that I have spent the most time on this year (probably Dark Souls) but it is definitely the game i have spent the most time playing with other people. I have had so much fun playing with my 4yr old daughter, wife and other friends and family. (my 2.5yr old son just chooses my character, Roy every time!).

2. Bayonetta 2

Spectacular, over the top silly fun. (can bayo 1 be included in the list, cos wii u version is first try for meas well).

3. Olli Olli

Simple, fun game. I know it's out on other systems but vita is probably best suited for this.

4. Smash bros wii u

My first ever smash. I like what I have seen of it so far. Could climb up higher if I spend a bit more time playing vs my real life bros over Christmas.

That is it for me, although I have probably spent more time playing video games this year then any other, I am not sure if I bought any other qualifying titles. A lot of games from last year or earlier. My personal ineligible game of the year would be 1.dark souls, 2. Red dead redemption, 3.metal gear solid 4.tearaway

Simzyy

PfXQ4Su.jpg

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; The most fun I've had with video games this year. I'm a sucker for BioWare RPGs. I feel like Inquisition took a page or two from Mass Effect in terms of character writing and it's a better franchise for it. One of my favourite casts in an RPG in a while. The overall plot is weak and the game is not without its problems but I still had a great 120 hour adventure with this game. BioWare certainly has renewed faith.

2. Divinity: Original Sin ; I struggle to get into CRPGs. And to be fair, I think this game has some truly awful problems (writing, direction, creativity) but the combat in this game is so good. Any game that keeps me playing for 50+ hours has something to it. It's a shame that the whole game just felt like a charge towards the next combat encounter. Yet it's number 2 on my list. I enjoyed the battles that much.

3. Bayonetta 2 ; What a wonderful collection of silly nonsense.

4. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Too easy and no real depth, but South Park is one of my favourite shows and this felt like a new season in itself. Some really funny moments.

5. Jazzpunk ; I don't know how to explain Jazzpunk, just go play it.

6. The Banner Saga ; Lovely art, fun combat and an interesting world.

7. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; First FPS I've loved since Halo.

8. Transistor ; I love the things you can do with the combat system. The music is great as is the art style.

9. Dark Souls II ; Just no where near as good as Demon's or the first Dark Souls. Still merits a place on the list but was a big let down (mainly due to the boss designs). Still sunk 60 hours into it....

10. Shovel Knight ; I dig it.

Bumhead

Banned
1. Alien Isolation ; Dripping in atmosphere and tension, Isolation is an unforgettable ride and an instant survival horror classic. The incredible use of the Alien IP and asthetic is what will take all the headlines for Isolation, but for me the game more than delievered on its own merits as a survival horror game. Despite some criticism elsewhere to the contrary, I thought Isolation was a perfectly paced adventure that didn't outstay its welcome, and Creative Assembly did an excellent job of keeping you invested while successfully challenging your survival instincts beyond just dealing with the Xenomorph.

2. DriveClub ; Somewhat aptly, the longest and most winding road of the year for me. There were times since launch when I never wanted to play DriveClub again, but it kept pulling me back in, and now feels complete enough to love almost without caveats or hesitation. As a racer, it nails that same not-quite-sim, not-quite-arcade feel as games such as Project Gotham Racing, and the result is one of the fastest and most thrilling racing experiences I've played in years. Although racing against the AI has its own frustrations, the now fully competent online modes, time trial and drift events deliver a pretty compelling package. Taking on some of the games gorgeous tracks with the dynamic weather and timing, listening to music or just the sound of the engines, has quickly become one of my favourite gaming activities on PS4.

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; The generations first cult classic, and one of those under the radar games that people will still be talking about and remembering fondly in 6 years time when this generation is done. A thoroughly enjoyable experience which has no qualms with sticking to its guns as a lengthy single player-only campaign released in 2014, and shows there is still room for these kind of games in the modern landscape.

4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 ; Return of the King. After conceding an entire generation to EA and the FIFA series I did wonder if PES would ever be truly great again. While this years game does fall ever so slighty short of the series' PS2 greatness, it is nevertheless a tremendous return to form.

5. P.T. ; The scariest game, teaser for a game, sample of a game, demo - whatever you want to categorise it as - that I've ever played. I've been playing horror and survival horror games for as long as I've been gaming, but P.T. goes above and beyond anything I've ever experienced in this medium. Made me feel physically tired and stressed out to play, but as a quality of experience it was absolutely one of the most memorable of 2014.

6. Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty ; One of my favourite games from the PS1 era, and the remake is just absolutely wonderful. One of those remakes/re-releases that I feel I've been asking for for years, and Just Add Water delivered in spades. The art and character design in Oddworld is utterly timeless, and it's really great to finally have an Oddworld game that looks as great as this. It's a charming and amusing all time classic for me, and I feel the remake is substantial enough to absolutely belong on a list of 2014's best.

7. Nidhogg ; The best game of 2014 that I still don't own, but across a couple of multiplayer sessions with friends, it was responsible for more laughs than any game I've played in years. Looks very simple in terms of its core concept, but it's wonderfully challenging to properly master. Some of the stand offs and battles when approaching the final screens were simultaneously some of the most tense and hilarious experiences of the year for me.

8. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare ; A real sleeper hit this year, and one that I'm glad more people will get the chance to play thanks to the recent giveaway on PS4 and EA Access on Xbox One. Just a fun, colourful multiplayer shooter that isn't afraid to keep things simple, while introducing a number of its own twists and changes to the genre.

9. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; The most refined gameplay of the Metal Gear Solid series to date, and an excellent taster for whats to come with The Phantom Pain. A short but sweet experience that made good on the promise of replayability with some interesting twists on the main "mission" around the base.

10. Destiny ; Probably my biggest dissapointment of the year, but before hitting the grind wall, Destiny gave me a good 70 or so hours of fun, mostly enjoyed with friends. An incredibly flawed experience for now pretty well discussed reasons that I don't need to repeat here, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of it while it lasted. I like the core game of whats here enough that it was simultaneously one of the top 10 games of 2014 for me, but also brutally dissapointing that it didn't make good on some of the promise from before launch.

This year I decided to try something different. Instead of writing a giant wall of text like last year, I wanted to try my hand at putting together a video list. I went for a really chill vibe with this and wanted the games to just speak for thenselves here. I hope ya'll like it!

http://youtu.be/heSXD-s-2M4

Cool video! I especially liked the 60fps option.

By the way, we'd still really love to know your thoughts, even if they're just a sentence or two long for each game. At least do one comment, though, for ballot requirement purposes.

1 Destiny
2 Diablo III Reaper of Soul
3 DriveClub
4 Infamous SS
5 Dragon Age Inquisition (have played only 15hrs)
6 PES 2015
7 Freedom Wars
8 Metal Gear Solid GZ
9 Heartstone
10 -

neorej

ERMYGERD!
1. Sunset Overdrive ; Insomniac brought back the fun in videogaming. It's fast, visceral, but most of all fun to play. After a generation of grimdark slabs of grey, brown and dark red, the explosion of colors displayed in SO was refreshing.
2. Fantasia: Music Evolved ; Harmonix showing how well they have mastered the concept of gameplay through Kinect, by not making a traditional game and implement Kinect controls, but rather build a gameplay-experience around the controller. Their sublime record in the rythm- and music-games genre also shines through here, combined with Disney's ability to tell story and deliver magic into your living room.
3. Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor ; Warner Bros doing excellent work with the Lord of the Rings IP by not retelling a story already known through the films and books, but rather telling a story not yet told by Tolkien. The open world and Nemesis system kept me entertained for a long time, also thanks to the decent combat AI.
4. Endless Legend ; Great 4X game based on an original fantasy lore, with a great approach to unit-design and recruiting other tribes to your cause. I bought it to release myself from the historical perspective Civ V offered, but I found so much more and then some.
5. Mario Kart 8: Simple, straightforward, fun. Pick up and play, the core mechanics have stayed the same for years, but they are solid, so no need to change them.

Scotch

1. Grand Theft Auto V Remastered ; My second favorite game of last year got even better, with the prettiest graphics I've ever seen. A technical marvel. I'm having an absolute blast playing GTA Online.
2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ;
3. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ;
4. This War of Mine ;
5. Insurgency ;
6. Wasteland 2 ;
7. Watch_Dogs ; It was disappointing, but it still entertained me enough to finish the campaign.
8. South Park: The Stick of Truth ;
9. Driveclub ; I've only played a couple of hours of Driveclub so far but I quite like it. It doesn't feel as good as PGR, but in a world of over-the-top arcade racers with nitro-boosts and other silly nonsense, I'm real happy it got made.
10. P.T. ; The only reason this game isn't higher up is because it's just a demo, but playing through it with a friend while we were both screaming like little girls was an amazing and unique experience.

a.wd

Placeholder post, this list may change!

1. Sunset Overdrive ; More fun colour and excitement than any other game this year, a revolutionary game
2. Forza Horizon 2 ; Because sometimes you want to cruise the Med and sometimes you want to fly through rally courses sideways and sometimes you want a nice circuit racer and sometimes you want to tinker with cars and sometimes...
3. Bayonetta 2 ; Arguably one of the top 10 action games of all time
4. Shadow of mordor ; The narrative and stories that came out of this games nemesis system is super rewarding when it works for you, a great example of using systems and ideas from other games and improving them with a new twist
5. Titanfall ; Genuinely innovative change to the COD formula and caused more negative backlash before it came out than any game before or since, gameplay absolutely lived up to the hype
6. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; Emotionally engaging.
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Bombastic fantastic fun.
8. Super Smash Bros Brawl ; Fuck you 3rd parties, we bring the ruckus.
9. The wolf among us ; Just brilliant engaging story telling.
10. Call of Duty Advance warfare ; The Michael Bay formula when he was good, big, bold, touching in places (not in the press x to have feels though...that was silly).

Honorable Mentions

x Far Cry 4: Would probably have made the list but I haven't really played it enough
x Alien isolation: Terror, pure and simple

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It is quite interesting to me that titles like MGS V GZ and P.T. get that many mentions.

Does this mean that we have come to think of demo's or teasers in a different way than we used to? Or do we just expect different things from video games as a whole? I mean last year I considered titles like Stanley Parable and Gone Home on my GOTY ballot, that was hardly any longer than a demo/prelude like Ground Zeroes.

Maybe the rise of indie games has gotten us to accept that a proper video game experience don't have to be at least 20 hours?

It is quite interesting to me that titles like MGS V GZ and P.T. get that many mentions.

Does this mean that we have come to think of demo's or teasers in a different way than we used to? Or do we just expect different things from video games as a whole? I mean last year I considered titles like Stanley Parable and Gone Home on my GOTY ballot, that was hardly any longer than a demo/prelude like Ground Zeroes.

Maybe the rise of indie games has gotten us to accept that a proper video game experience don't have to be at least 20 hours?
Journey was, what, 2 hours? Limbo, 4? Judging a game by its length seems pretty antiquated. Quality of the experience should come first.

I actually only played one new game this year, nevertheless it was an awesome game so I feel that it deserves my vote.

1. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; This game turned out to be everything I hoped it would be. This is how all licensed games should be done, close to the source material. I wanted a South Park game and in the end I got the South Park game. Mechanically it may not be the most innovative game of all time but it gave me everything I wanted and more. Only bad part of it in my eyes was that it ended to fast.

That they aren't 20h+ is just positive in my book. I have no problems spending that much time with a game, but I would rather do with a several playthroughs in a shorter replayable game, then a linear game that plays the same every time.

KidB

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U); In my opinion, this is the best 2D I've ever played. The levels are memorable and expertly designed, the Kongs control perfectly and the game is challenging without being overwhelming. It's also gorgeous and it has quite possibly my favourite game soundtrack of all time.

2. Bayonetta 2 (Wii U); Pure, unadultered fun, an amazing sequel to one of the best, if not the best, action games of all time. A joy to play from start to finish.

3. Smash Bros for Wii U; It's Smash in 1080p/60fps, with more characters and modes than ever and (almost always) smooth online. I think that covers it.

4. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U); Probably the best Mario Kart to date, it's gorgeous, most of the tracks are really good and online is smooth as butter. The DLC content is rich and its price is just right.

5. Pokemon Omega Ruby/ Alpha Sapphire (3DS)); It's a shame they didn't include Battle Frontier, but I love Gen3 too much to not include the remakes in my list. The Delta Episode was great and the DexNav was a cool addition (I hope they include it in later iterations).

6. Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix (PS3); The definitive versions of my 2 favourite installments of the series.

7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS); Classic Kirby. Cute, fun and relaxing, it makes great use of 3D. I also really enjoyed the Dedede minigame.

This year I decided to try something different. Instead of writing a giant wall of text like last year, I wanted to try my hand at putting together a video list. I went for a really chill vibe with this and wanted the games to just speak for thenselves here. I hope ya'll like it!

http://youtu.be/heSXD-s-2M4

1. Bayonetta 2 ;
2. Dark Souls 2 ;
3. Shovel Knight ;
4. Bravely Default ;
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze ;
6. Mario Kart 8 ;
7. Ultra Street Fighter IV ;
8. Super Smash Bros for Wii U ;
9. Super Time Force ;
10. The Legend of Korra ;
Really awesome idea. I dig the music too. Kudos.

Berto

This was a sad year for me in terms of videogames. I married, moved home and I'm financially strugling, so I barely played and bought new games. As a matter of fact I only played these 5 games from 2014 =/

1. Valiant Hearts ; A touching and moving experience about the human side of the Great War.

2. Alien Isolation ; Incredible atmosphere and faithfullness to the Ridley Scott film.

3. Dark Souls 2 ; Not as good as its predecessors, but still very good.

4. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ; Its the natural evolution of what Dear Esther started. Great visuals and atmosphere.

5. Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversay Edition ; Lost the original classic charm, but the awesome story and characters are still here.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Surpassed even the original for me, which I didn't think would be possible. Amazing in every way.
2. Titanfall ;
3. Super Smash Bros for Wii U ;
4. Sunset Overdrive ;
5. Toukiden ;
6. Mario Kart 8 ;
7. OlliOlli ;
8. Forza Horizon 2 ;
9. TxK ;
10. Destiny ;

1. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; This game worked for me on pretty much every level except for the gameplay. The story was intriguing throughout and was pleasantly modest once the game started to end and filled you in on the big twist. It's not trying to pull the rug from under your feet and actually drops enough hints during the whole story for the player to make an educated guess about WTF is going on and not feel dumbfounded once the game reveals its cards. Combine that with a terrific soundtrack and a strangely endearing art style and you've got yourself a GotY. Fun fact: I hate Danganronpa 2.
2. Dark Souls II ; Turns out the worst Souls game is still a pretty damn fine game for itself.
3. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition ; Diablo still works much better on consoles than it has any right to.
4. The Wolf Among Us ; A game with an amazing atmosphere, soundtrack and story, that is only brought down by terrible technical issues I had to deal with. Please get your shit together, Telltale.
5. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; Despite initially being very upset about the pricing of the game I cannot deny how outstanding the gameplay is. I got a good 8 to 10 hours out of this demo and enjoyed every minute of it.
6. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare ; People call it the best multiplayer shooter of the year and I agree. Good fun.
7. Bravely Default ; I...uhm...I didn't even finish BD. I did, in fact, not even reach the infamous halfway point before I got bored and yet I feel the need to put a JRPG into my list and I somehow have inexplicably fond memories of what I've played of BD. So this is why this game is here.
8. Destiny ; I suppose it really helped that I did not have any expectations whatsoever when it came to Destiny and just kinda enjoyed the 15 or so hours I put into it until I had seen everything the game had to offer and didn't give it any thought beyond that. /shrug
9. Lords of the Fallen ; Solid.
10. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; More BoI is always good.

Pappasman

Cool video! I especially liked the 60fps option.

By the way, we'd still really love to know your thoughts, even if they're just a sentence or two long for each game. At least do one comment, though, for ballot requirement purposes.

Good call. I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me.

Risgroo

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Fucking Donkey Kong nails it again. Platforming perfection, with a brilliant soundtrack.
2. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; A brilliant RPG, with great pacing, cool attacks and varied quests. More fun than the show has been in ages.
3. Mario Kart 8 ; The best Mario Kart to date, and the DLC makes it even better.
4. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The biggest surprise of the year. It's a bit lacking in story, and the world can feel a bit too barren sometimes (it's Mordor, I know, I know), but the core gameplay coupled with the nemesis system is so much fun.
5. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; Short and sweet!
6. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire ; I skipped gen 3, so this was a great experience for me.
7. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; The exo powers make this game feel really fresh and interesting. I'm still useless at it though.
8. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; I've only played a few hours of this, but it seems extremely well made and fun from what I've seen.
9. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Another game I haven't had the chance to dig into yet, but it's really fun so far.

Haven't bought that many games this year and some of the better games i've played are from last year (Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, etc.).
I have yet to play DK and Bayonetta 2 but that will probably be next year.

1 MarioKart 8 (WiiU): best Mariokart ever on a console and the antigravitystuff makes it fresher than ever. A lot of fun for me, my girlfriend and my son.
2 GTAV (i only played it on PS4..): amazing that people can make a game with soo much content and soo much detail. The three character storyline was a great feature.
3 Wolfenstein (PS4): best shooter out there right now imo. Lengthy game with great weapons, nice story and it's fun.
4 Driveclub: (PS4) sure, server problems sucked. But the game itself is an amzing dedicated racer. Exactly my cup of tea when it comes to racing.
5 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4): great new entry from a series i was tired of. Sp and mp both good.
6 MGSV: GZ (PS4): pretty lengthy demo with great gameing mechanics. MGSV PP is still my most anticipated game of 2015 right now.
7 Infamous Second Son (PS4): best in the series imo and gorgeous. In the end a bit too repetitive to make it higher on my list.
8 Watchdogs (PS4): it's no GTAV but still a good open world game on its own. I placed it on the list because i think it has a lot of potential for a sequel on this gen only. I liked the hacking of the phones of strangers and i liked some of the missions. Story was okay as well. Online invasion of strangers was actually a great idea. "You are being hacked". Damn.. That was always a nervous and exciting moment.

Will update

Sallokin

Kif034v.jpg

1. Fantasy Life ; I’m so glad this game got localized for the west. I had been wanting to try it out since I heard it discussed on 8-4 Play, and it charmed me in a way I didn’t think possible anymore. More so than this being an incredible experience (which I truly believe) this game helped me reaffirm why I play games and showed me that I was still capable of having fun with them. I know it wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it was the most personally satisfying game I played all year. The fact that it reminded me of a sort of bastard child of Dragon Quest didn’t hurt either…

OD3Qesc.jpg

2. Bravely Default ; Just a great return to old school mechanics with enough modern advancements added in to keep it fresh. Every RPG needs to steal the adjustable encounter rate option. Also, the boss battles (particularly in the later half of the game) were incredibly fun and challenging. I thought the town building mechanic was fun, as well as the ability to send different boss characters to people you street passed. An overall incredible package and it’s scary to think it almost got passed over for a western release. As an aside, I can’t say enough how much I loved the art in this game. The character designs and job class designs were soooo good.

1EFKrry.jpg

3. Mario Kart 8 ; Not a lot to say on this one. Extra polished, tons of fun, and the DLC is great. It’s the same Mario Kart you know and love, but there’s a lot to love so it’s ok.

iLfV5Td.jpg

4. Freedom Wars ; Man, I’m so bummed this game didn’t get more love. It’s the only hunter style game I’ve ever enjoyed, and the online is an absolute blast. Much like Bravely, this is another game where I was consistently in love with the art/character design, which is so refreshingly different and poppy looking. You’d be hard pressed to find a better looking Vita game and it plays great on Vita TV too. I hope more people are able to check it out.

WXRqUxQ.jpg

5. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; I had some familiarity with this title prior to its western release. I thought the localization was expertly handled and the overall presentation was nice. Each and every character is memorable, and every single murder was an “Oh no!” moment for me as a player. Every Vita owner should give this one a chance.

L0EI2Fw.jpg

6. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; So good I bought the JP and US release. I was happy with the blend of Persona and Etrian Odyssey, but the overall story was boring and because of the limitations on when the story is told within the Persona cannon the characters felt too tropey and fanservice centric. Despite all that the exploration/dungeon crawling and the fresh changes to both the persona growing system and the EO battle system were enough to keep me coming back. This also has one of my favorite soundtracks of the year.

7oApd2b.jpg

7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; I feel like this could be higher on the list, but I just haven’t had a chance to play it a ton. I know the core gameplay hasn’t changed much but there’s so much surrounding it I haven’t tried yet. Sprsk isn’t wrong when he says the board game in this is more fun than any of the Mario Party games though. Also, Lucina is my jam and anything she’s in is GOTY material.

E447NLc.jpg

8. Forza Horizon 2 ; One of the greatest open-world racing games of all time, if not THE greatest. I enjoyed the new locations and the crazy event variety. Racing against jets through an Italian mountainside of switchbacks never gets old. Turn 10 stepped up and delivered with this title after what everyone can agree was a rocky foray into this generation with Forza 5. Can’t stress enough how nice it was to have an online mode that just worked from day one. Car clubs were large enough to make sense and the overall community feel was spot on.

jR6qhQK.jpg

9. Transistor ; As someone who played through Bastion like 7 times I was really excited for Transistor. The sci-fi world/concept was exactly what I hoped Supergiant would go for after Bastion. Ultimately I was disappointed with the story, but still found it enjoyable. I felt like the it kept building toward something that never paid off for the player, and the overall finish of the game felt like it was trying too hard. Gameplay wise, the Functions were all clever and provided enough variety and combinations to make a second and third play through unique and exciting. As is customary, the soundtrack is bonkers good too.

1fyocbT.jpg

10. Hyrule Warriors ; Any game that can make Musou fun is ok in my book. Not sure if it’s just the fresh coat of paint, but I find that I can actually play this game and enjoy it for more than 10 minutes. I thoroughly enjoyed all the modes and after launch support the game got. More than any other developer/publisher this year, Nintendo showed everyone, with this game and Mario Kart 8, the right way to do DLC.

Honorable Mentions

I5NsQGh.jpg

x. Valkyria Chronicles ; Hooray for second chances! Double hooray for amazing PC ports and for fans actually stepping up and voting with their wallets. One of my favorite “feel good” gaming community moments this year.

ZOQsxDl.jpg

x. Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds ; Literally knew nothing about this game until I saw a few people on twitter talking about it. Retro style beat-em-up with lovingly done animation/sprite work? Makise Kurisu as DLC? FUCK. YES. I can’t imagine it sold very much which is a real shame. Props to 5pb and Mages for releasing it overseas.

Other than Fez (which i won't include since it's a port of an older game), no game stood out from the rest as clear GOTY winner. As such, the order in which my games appear isn't that important since i enjoyed most of them equally.

1. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments ;
2. Hohokum ; This game was a unique blend of great visuals, music, atmosphere, originality and discovery. I loved it. Amongst my favourite PSN games ever.
3. Trails Fusion ; The game i spent most hours playing (and plan to do so in the future) this year. Fantastic and pure fun gameplay.
4. Valiant Hearts ;
5. Never Alone ;
6. Velocity 2X ; Not the GOTY i expected it to be but a solid, fun and good looking sequel to Velocity
7. Steamworld Dig ; Not my preferred gameplay genre but i had a surprising amount of fun with this game.
8. Child of Light ; I never play RPG's because i'm not a fan of the genre at all but i enjoyed this game a lot. The visuals, music and atmosphere are what made it a memorable game for me. Such a unique game.
9. Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate ; I gave up on the original Pixeljunk Shooter when i bought it on PS3 but i'm glad i got another opportunity (PS+) to play this great game.

Honorable Mentions
x. Last of Us: Left behind ; A good example of how DLC should be done. I enjoyed it more than the main game.
x. Driveclub ; A fantastic driving game only let down by incredibly frustrating bumper AI.
x. Fez ; My GOTY. I absolutely loved it. A classic.
x. The Swapper ; Very enjoyable and atmospheric if somewhat unvaried puzzle game

Will add more comments later.

Still to play: Wolfenstein and Murdered Soul suspects (just ordered).

I feel like your taste is very similar to mine. Thanks for posting your list -- I'll try the ones you mentioned that I didn't try.

mreddie

1. Wolfenstein The New Order; A FPS that perfects blends both old and new. The writing hits the mark, the story doesn’t outstay it’s welcome. Sometimes, the stealth is a bit iffy but combat wise, it’s old school. Doesn’t reinvent the genre but is not a cliche either.

2. Alien Isolation; You’re helpless, hiding from a menace that could off you in one swoop. This is the horror game that fits well to the Alien universe. The xenomorph isn’t a mindless AI, it’s a smart hunter and everything visually, audio, writing, VA, damn good. I almost had this on #1…but it lost to a shooter but not just any shooter.

3. Far Cry 4; Ubisoft had A LOT of fuckups this year, Far Cry 4 wasn’t one of them, it fell into the “ain’t broke, don’t fix it” situation after Far Cry 3. Gameplay wise, it’s awesome. Level editor is just crazy, visually, it’s gorgeous. I was impressed. The characters were a mixed bag but it does have some replayablity.

4. Transistor; Did not disappoint at all aside from robbing me two boss battles but I didn’t want this to end. The turn based combat system allows the user to get used to the strategy before running head long in to complicated battles and it really helps. The artwork, soundtrack and the story were all close to perfection. Problem was, it’s a bit too short and that’s kinda sad because as I said, I wanted a bit more.

5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War; I came in hyped and I got sad at the end, puzzles aren't hard and it was a breeze but damn, this game hit me.

6. Infamous Second Son; My only con, it’s a bit to short but overall, it’s a new beginning for the Infamous franchise. Delsin is enjoyable as the lead, Reggie sticks out being a good brother. The supporting cast besides Fetch which aren’t memorable, you want to know more. Augustine’s motivations are fair but still a bit iffy. Not enough missions for me to put it higher. I also highly recommend First Light.

7. Driveclub; Dammit Driveclub, you launched with online problems, but you came back and kicked ass. My only gripes are the car list and the AI being a asshole at times but hot damn, I love this game.

8. Super Smash Bros.; It's Super Smash Bros in HD with Mega Man and Pac Man, DUH!

9. Never Alone; The controls are good, visually, it’s amazing, music fits well into the whole experience. It’s rare that you find a game that is fun but teaches about a culture.

10. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare; I was not expecting this to be as memorable as I thought it was gonna be. It’s so fun, enjoyable and so not EA. It's amazing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
1. Bayonetta 2 ; Best action game since Devil May Cry 4. I enjoyed it so much that it's difficult for me to go back and play it's predecessor which is really saying something. The bar has been raised for character action games.
2. The Last of Us: Remastered ; Only at number 2 because I played the first half of it last year. One of the best games of all time remastered with a near perfect 60fps.
3. Velocity 2X ; Surprise of the year for me, I only downloaded it because it was free on PSN. Thoroughly enjoyed the part platformer, part shooter gameplay. Plus, the soundtrack reminds me of Streets of Rage for some reason and that's never a bad thing.
4. Infamous: First Light ; I thought this was a much better and focused experience than Second Son. Neon was the best power in that game and First Light expanded greatly on that ability. I also think traversal is more enjoyable here thanks to the boost portals and Fetch is overall more interesting than Delsin.
5. Mario Kart 8 ; It's Mario Kart, friends. Highly addictive, highly enjoyable, tight controls, great visuals.
6. P.T. ;
7. The Last of Us: Left Behind ;
8. Transistor ;
9. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ;
10. Infamous: Second Son ;

Honorable Mentions
x. Destiny ; Worth a mention because I've put more hours into this than any game in my top 10 however Destiny makes too many mistakes for me to give it a vote. Try again, Bungie.
x. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Haven't had the time to play this as much I would like but the Nemesis system is definitely something I'd like to see adopted by other games.
x. Hohokum ; I have no idea what the hell I just played but it was enjoyable and the soundtrack is really something.

Atilac

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Pure gaming nirvana, the Lumen Sage fights are absolute ecstasy. It's surprisingly difficult nowadays to make a game that focuses on pure fun and excellence in control, but Bayonetta 2 excells in these and more. This is the greatest character action game I have ever played.
2. Mario Kart 8 ; A fantastic multiplayer experience, this game represents kart racing perfected.
3. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze ; A fantastically crafted platformer, that oozes every sign that nothing but love and care went into this masterpiece. Also has the best soundtrack of the year.
4. Dark Souls 2 ; Not as good as the first or demons, but still a great time and more than willing of being on this list.
5. Shin Megami Tensei VI ; Best JRPG I've played in years.
6. Far Cry 4 ; The game is great, never played the third game. The secret ending is fabulous.
7. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U ; King Dede is awesome.
8. FTL: Advanced Edition ; An amazing roguelike that offers amazing strategic depth, near endless replayability.
9. Wasteland 2 ; Wonderful modern oldschool game.
10. Call of Duty: Adanced Warfare ; Kevin Fucking Spacey.

mu-chan

Neo Member
1. Destiny
2. Hearthstone
3. Threes!
4. Infamous Second Sun
5. Sunset Overdrive
6. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
7. Driveclub
8. Trials Fusion
9. Mario Kart 8
10. Luftrausers

Gandalf

1. Driveclub ; My favourite racing game in a long time. I picked it up fairly recently, and I think it's the best game I've played this year. It's beautiful in parts too.

2. P.T ; One of the best horror experiences I've ever experienced. This has made Silent Hills one of my most anticipated games. Narrowly beaten by Driveclub.

3. GTA V (PS4) ; Skipped the game on PS3, awaiting the PS4 version, and I'm really glad I did. Fantastic game. I eagerly await online heists!

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; picked it up a couple of months ago, brilliant FPS, one of the best campaigns in recent memory.

5. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; This game is just perfect for a pick-up-and-play session on the Vita. Highly addictive, and one of the best games I've played in 2014.

6. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; I bought it digitally on day one for Vita and I loved every single minute of it. Fantastic cast if characters. I plan on picking up Danganronpa 2 shortly.

7. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; I'm a huge Metal Gear fan, and this didn't disappoint. It was a little bit short for my liking, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

8. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare ; Again, I only played recently thanks to EA giving it for free during PSX weekend. A very fun game! One I'll be playing for a long time.

9. InFAMOUS: Second Son ; I love the InFAMOUS series and this was a solid follow up from InFAMOUS 2. I liked Delsin as the main character too. Exploring Seattle was a lot of fun.

10. Dark Souls II ; I'm a huge Souls fan, and although it didn't live up to the dizzy heights of the first or Demons, it is still a very good game, and one I'll be repurchasing once the PS4 version drops next year.

1. GTA V (PS4) ; I skipped it on last gen in the hope it would come out for current gen. It did and it's the best GTA of them all. Having three different main characters with different stories to follow along and switch between was executed very nicely. Easily tops 3, San Andreas, Vice City and 4.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
1. Dark Souls II ; So many hours put into it, double-dipped on PC version too. Despite some flaws that have been blown out of proportions by the Internet, the game is still amazing and easily better than anything else that came out that year. I love the new powerstance ability, the exploration is amazingly rewarding and full of nooks and crannies, the atmosphere and art direction is as gorgeous as ever.
2. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! ; Moar guns and looting, moar zany sci-fi humour? Yes, why not? Quest design kind of a downgrade from BL2 and closer to the inferior BL1, but it's made up by having cool new mechanics like the freeze element, laser guns (pew pew! sorry Mr. Torgue, I love me some pew pew... xD), the low gravity jumps and the butt slamming. Plus Athena is the coolest BL playable character ever.
3. Rayman Legends ; A blast to play with friends, with gorgeous art and music. For some reason, I ain't even mad when my friend would punch my character off the platform, we usually just laughed whenever that happened instead of being frustrated. That's solid gold in platform game design right there.
4. The Last of Us: Remastered ; One of the best games ever made, but now slightly better. Can't go wrong here.
5. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky ; This game reminded me why I used to like JRPGs. Slow start but fun battles and tons of charm and pretty darn good writing for what could have easily been a trite coming of age story, which made it actually fun to experience.
6. Hyrule Warriors ; I didn't expect much from this, but I had a lot of fun playing this with my boyfriend. There's just something vaguely satisfying about seeing so many mooks explode into rupees all at once. Blasphemous as this may seems, I think I like this game more than the (recent) Zelda games...
7. Freedom Planet ; Took me by complete surprise and came out of nowhere, this like a Sonic game done right; fast-paced and intense, lush and vibrant, exciting music, cute art without being all creepy furry or moe, epic boss fights that remind me of Gunstar Heroes, and you can opt out of the useless story bits completely and just plow through the amazingly designed levels. This is what I imagine a Sega Saturn version of a Sonic game would have looked like, everything about the production values scream "Saturn classic". Which is a very, very good thing.
8. Bound By Flame ; I have no idea why this game reviewed so poorly. It's actually surprisingly decent and fun. It's got a few annoying flaws, such as a camera that can get in the way of combat, enemies that respawn too quickly, and some pretty inane tryhard dialogue (with tons of swear words to appear edgy, it seems), but the combat is pretty decent and tactical at times (played on harder modes of course), and it has one of the best crafting system I've seen in an RPG. It's pretty cool how modding your armour actually shows up on your character model. And some of the interactions with various NPCs can be quite entertaining. Definitely a budget title, but this game has a surprising amount of charm, I wish more people had given it a chance.
9. Lords of the Fallen ; Another action-RPG, this one is like Souls-lite in pretty much every way. It's still pretty fun but compared to the Souls games it really feels like a pale copy. I'm a sucker for hack-and-slash RPGs though, so I still enjoyed this quite a bit.
10. Suikoden II ; One of the best jRPGs ever made, finally available to the masses. Awesome.

Honourable mentions:
x. P.T. ; Weird that this is eligible. I wasn't expecting much of anything, but I was genuinely freaked out playing this thing. I was staunchly opposed to a first person Silent Hill at first, but if the new SH takes on this format, I'm all for it. No combat whatsoever and yet it was unbelievably creepy. Some of those solutions were a tad obtuse, though...
x. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition ; I was never a fan of Diablo. I liked the dark gothic fantasy art direction of the first game, and I like looting in games in general, but the click-spam combat bored me to tears. Played the D2 beta and was bored very, very fast. D3 on the PS4, with controls and combat suited for a controller (now with dodging! xD) was far more interesting to me, though sadly it traded the dark hellish look for a more cartoony style. I still enjoy the game for the looting and the coop experience, but it's a shame that you need to wait quite a bit until the combat stops being so brain-dead easy. It seems highly abnormal to me that playing on Expert is of zero challenge whatsoever. Hopefully when I unlock those Nightmare difficulties or whatever, then the fun will really begin in earnest...
x. The Evil Within ; Flawed but fairly decent, nice to see some return to classic survival horror since it's been a while.
x. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Shallow as fuck, bland world, and so very Ubisoft like despite not being actually Ubisoft... but there is something vaguely amusing and addictive about chasing down orc leaders and murdering them violently. Gets a mention just for that.

Cheese, we can't have Early Access games on our lists right? Crypt of the NecroDancer is so good, but I guess I'll have to save that for the Indie GOTY list

Yka

1. Mario Kart 8 ; Got a Wii U for Mario Kart 8. What a great game! Haven't played this much for years. Other three games are also really good. Amazing music in all of these games!
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
3. Bayonetta 2
4. Shovel Knight ; I love it!
5. Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 1 ; I don't usually buy DLC but this was unmissable.

6. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Played this after Christmas with my family and some amiibos. It was more fun than I expected.
7. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 ; Finally!
8. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
9. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
10. Hyrule Warriors

x. The Evil Within ; Didn't play this enough to rate it higher but I surely will when get a PS4 later this year.

Edit: Decided to add 6 more games. Didn't change my top 5.

Hiko

Banned
1. Dark Souls 2 ; Despite being a failure next to Dark Souls 1, it's still head and shoulders above everything else on the market (at least anything that isn't made by Nintendo). It wasn't until I put the game away and started playing all the non-Souls games that I realized how good Dark Souls 2 actually is.

2. Mario Kart 8 ; It's still pretty damn fun even if the series is kind of old and stale.

3. Destiny ; It's full of problems that will never be fixed, but at the end of the day I put a crap ton of time into it and got really invested in my character. The shooting feels good. I guess that's worth something.

Overall a pretty forgettable year.

This was a tough year since nothing really stood out for me.

1. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls ; Spent a ton of time here and legitimately enjoyed it

2. Destiny ; I'm still playing it. Love hate relationship for sure.

3. The Walking Dead: Season 2 ; acceptable sequel to one of the best stories in gaming history

4. Shadow of Mordor ; solid action adventure game.

5. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; I really enjoyed the single player campaign!

There are a lot of games that I didn't play that I have a good feeling would have replaced some of these choices. Out of what I played though? These would be my list.

01dai.jpg

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; I wasn't a big fan of the series coming into DA:I and this game changed that pretty quickly and managed to completely take over my life for a couple weeks. It had it's fair share of filler content with no shortage of fetch sidequests that don't add much to the story, but almost everything else about the entire package was outstanding. The story itself had a lot of truly memorable moments and was a great journey overall, but it suffered a bit from some pacing issues and ended on a pretty disappointing note, I really enjoyed exploring all of the amazingly huge and detailed environments with a great group of characters who were brought to life with excellent writing and even better voice acting. In a year where so many of the big releases under-delivered on value or were broken messes, BioWare's massive RPG is easily my favorite game of the year.

02south.jpg

2. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; I always believed this would be great despite what was happening with the publisher/developer drama and it exceeded even my lofty expectations. Matt and Trey delivered a story and voice acting performances that stand among their best work on TV and movies. The simplicity of the turn-based battle system fit the franchise perfectly and despite it's lack of complexity it provided a lot of challenge. From beginning to end it was awesome experience that had me either laughing until it hurt or at minimum grinning ear to ear.

03child.jpg

3. Child of Light ; I bought this game not knowing much about it except the visuals looked astonishing and the setting seemed unique. The story was intriguing throughout and had some pretty memorable moments, but the highlight of the game for me was the brilliant strategic turn-based battle system designed by Ubisoft Montreal. Every battle was an intense chess match that required strategic thinking while managing the turn time, quick swapping party members, buffs and debuffs, all while controlling your fairy sidekick in real-time to slow down enemies or heal party members. Enemy encounters were cleverly designed with a wide variety of creatures that all required different approaches, with battles that were challenging and drawn out. Worth noting that the game has an excellent soundtrack that is one of my favorites in recent memory. Playing Child of Light brought out the nostalgia of playing classic JRPGs from generations past and that's probably a higher praise then anything else I can say about it

04trans.jpg

4. Transistor ; Supergiant games followup to Bastion delivered a fantastic adventure that improved in almost all areas. The mysterious narrative didn't quite captivate me as much as Bastion's, but like Child of Light this game that didn't matter much as Transistor shined because of it's innovative battle system. The freedom to mix, match and combine your acquired abilities allowed a ton of creativity in each fight. I thought it was pretty clever how you were penalized for "dying" in battle by losing one of your abilities for a decent amount of time forcing you to fight at a disadvantage while also trying different abilities that you might not have bothered with otherwise. Transistor sports some sharp visuals and also a killer soundtrack that sets a distinctive atmosphere for this terrific game.

05valiant.jpg

5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; Pretty amazing that in a year which Ubisoft struggled mightily with it's high profile AAA games it managed to publish two amazing indie titles with this and Child of Light. Like Child of Light, Valiant Hearts has an incredible art style that caught my eye when it was first announced. The gameplay was mostly simplistic fetch quests and problem solving, but it never felt tedious or boring. Unlike the past couple entries on my list, this game's greatness was mostly due to it's excellent story which tells the tragic story of a few people whose lives were turned upside down by the events of World War I. Ubisoft Montpellier also did an admirable job of providing optional info about the historical context for each event in the game which was icing on the cake of an unforgettable tale.

06rogue.jpg

6. Rogue Legacy ; What's not to like about Castlevania spliced with Spelunky that's infused with witty humor. The "heir" respawn system made things interesting each time I played forcing me to deal with the hilarious gameplay effects of genetic traits such as dementia that made your character see enemies that aren't really there, alzheimers causing you to forget the map, and glaucoma causing every room to appear dark. The randomly generated dungeons keot things fresh each time and the well-designed progression system rewarded my efforts with unlockable skills that gave me the incentive to keep playing that some other roguelikes struggle with. Cellar Door Games created a wonderful game that was really hard to put down due to it's tight gameplay and incredible replay value.

07fifa.jpg

7. FIFA 15 ; I've always been really into sports games and FIFA was the best of the bunch this year. The visuals and presentation received nice upgrades and gameplay was tweaked mostly for the better with the previous installment's big problem of overly effective aerial through-balls finally being fixed. More strategic options were added like quick set plays for corners and customizable player behaviors which improve the overall experience. The one feature most hyped by EA Canada, improvement to goalies caused more harm than good. PS4 Share Play finally allows me to play couch co-op with my friends against the CPU which is an option I've wished for forever. I still play this online almost daily with a bunch of gaffers in Pro Clubs mode, shout out to the Gentle Lovers PS4 club!

08madden.jpg

8. Madden 15 ; Tiburon has clearly turned a corner with Madden which is headed in the right direction after last year's surprisingly strong effort. Madden's developers have been crushed for years for not improving the game enough in each new version, and they responded in Madden 15 by making a staggering amount of significant changes to the game. Firstly, the graphics and presentation are greatly improved, player models look very realistic now and a lot of work was done with animations to make the game look and play more fluidly. Line play in the trenches saw great improvement with more control options available to shed or steer blocks and A.I. is better than ever. Tackling animations still need work, but the engine now at least generates realistic outcomes, most notably with regards to dropped passes when receivers are hit hard. Lastly, the developers reintroduced the Skills Trainer mode which now impressively includes sections that teach players nuances of the sport of football like never before and how to apply them to the game of Madden. It's great to finally be able to enjoy videogame football again after years of massively disappointing releases.

09destiny.jpg

9. Destiny ; I put 100's of hours into this game and while I did get a good amount of enjoyment, in the end I only feel disappointed with Destiny. As most people on GAF seem to agree, the core shooting and mobility mechanics are terrific and the game is no slouch with the visuals. Most of the environments are stunning the first few times you see them, and the armor and weapon design are incredible. I didn't enjoy the Raid (Vault of Glass) as much as some others, but it was a unique multiplayer experience that I'm glad I got to play with my friends. All of the above was enough to warrant an inclusion in my list, but the rest of the game is a disaster. The pillars of Bungie's Halo games have been engaging stories and outstanding competitive multiplayer gameplay, which Destiny fails miserably in both areas. I was really looking forward to the story after the introduction of interesting lore, but all of that was seemingly left on the cutting room floor so Activision could further monetize the barebones content with a multiyear DLC plan. What is left is just plain embarrassing, with uninspired encounter designs, heavily recycled map designs, cringeworthy dialogue throughout and the most mailed-in voice acting performance I can ever remember from Peter Dinklage. After seeing all of the content in Destiny once, which takes about 4 hours, there really is no reason to continue playing as the "endgame" is a joke of replaying the same missions, strikes, raids over and over and over until the stingy RNG rewards you with high level weapons or gear which post release updates will eventually render useless anyway. This game only made my list because I wasted so many hours playing it that I could have instead spent playing games that were worthwhile which limited my selections in what honestly was a pretty weak year of quality releases on my platforms of choice.

10drive.jpg

10. Driveclub ; I picked this up at launch and despite the network issues I've been fully satisfied with it. The visuals are breathtaking, with fully modeled environments captured in the most realistic lighting and weather systems I've seen on consoles to date. The level of detail in car models is spectacular with the smallest details being rendered like how the head and taillights scratch to the weld points being visible on some of the lightweight car frames. The track designs are inspired from both a visual and drive-ability perspective. The minor social elements like the in-race section challenges and club challenges are implemented well and add some depth to the game, but the online structure in general is pretty flawed. Limiting the club size to 6 was seemingly a big misstep and your choices when playing online are severely limited to only several events at a time. Driveclub is a really good racing game that I anticipate I'll be coming back to periodically for years as it walks the line between sim and arcade to my liking and provides a good challenge without being overly frustrating.

Honorable Mentions

x. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 ; Another really good game from Telltale that had all signature pros and cons of their latest adventure games. This was my first taste of the Fables universe and it was a unique and enjoyable experience, but the story just didnt quite have the emotional impact on me that The Walking Dead S1 did to sneak this into my top 10.

x. inFamous: Second Son ; I'm generally not a big fan of open world sandbox games like this, but nothing else was out early in the year so I gave it an honest chance. From a technical perspective, Sucker Punch's game was quite the powerhouse sporting impressive visuals, and a highly detailed seamless open world Seattle that was fully realized without much pop in or loading. The particle effects and animations that accompanied the various super powers looked great. Delsin and his brother were likable guys and the story started off strongly, but I felt that it fell apart badly by the end. The reason this didn't make my top 10 was the safe and boring sidequest structure that this and most open world sandbox games seem content to follow these days. Filling a lengthy game with the same 4 or 5 quest types that need to be repeated over and over is piss poor game design that developers should strive to do better than with the tools at their disposal these days.

x. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; If this is the level of quality we can expect from the Phantom Pain then we are all in for a treat. Visuals look top notch, controls felt tight and this small slice of greatness was packed to the gills with hidden content and easter eggs by Kojima and his team. This was supposed to help make the wait for TPP easier, but I think it ended up doing the opposite,..

x. MLB 14: The Show ; The Show is the same consistently great sports game as the past several years. The jump to PS4 resulted in player models and stadiums looking significantly better. They finally got grass to look good! I really like the new dynamic fielding camera and other than some wonkiness with getting pulled away from fielding some flyballs and how baseball caps don't quite appear to look right on player's heads I don't have any other real complaints. Nice job San Diego Studios!

Disclaimer: my list is a Nintendo gangbang but that's because I had a HUGE backlog on my PS3 ( Dark Souls took 50% of my time) so let's go.

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; This game! As a platformer it's my favorite of the last decade and that's something considering all the fantastic NSMB games, Super Meat Boy and DKC Returns itself. Tropical Freeze is that good, the difficulty is perfect, the level design is stellar, the amount of ideas unbelievable, every level is organic, every character is fun and the soundtrack is the best of the year. It's not perfect: graphics are just ok (artstyle and colors are stellar though) and reaplaying the bosses is a pain.
2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Best roster in a fighting game, gameplay is fantastic, soundtrack is up there with Tropical Freeze and there is Duck Hunt dog. All in 1080p 60 fps.
3. Shovel Knight ; I can't believe how GOOD this game is. And I still have to complete it! But who cares, it's the best Megaman and the best Castlevania all in one! The NES artstyle is fresh and the soundtrack blew me away. Holy shit. Buy this gem!
4. Bayonetta 2 ; It's really deep in its mechanics but I expected a better game than W101. It's not. And the sense of progression is random.
5. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS ; Best roster in a fighting game, gameplay is fantastic, soundtrack is up there with Tropical Freeze and there is Duck Hunt dog. All in the palm of your hands.
6. Bayonetta ; At first I was underwhelmed by the game. People kept saying that it was more accessible than W101 but that's a lie. It's just similar to DMC but what if I'm not used to that gameplay? Took me so much time to like the combat but in the end it clicked with me. I have to say that the progression is better than in Bayonetta 2, Kamiya is my man. Too bad those platform sections and those qte killed part of the fun.
7. Mario Kart 8 ; I had to review it so I played it like 20 days before other gaffers. That was painful! I wanted to talk about the game so much! Anyway it's damn good but even though I used to be seriously good ad Mario Kart, I'm becoming a little tired by the formula. Roster sucked and battle mode was garbage.
8. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition ; Talk about the best Metroidvania since Metroid: Zero Mission. Man, I should put this game higher but whatever.

Let down of the year: Professor Layton VS. Phoenix Wright ; I'm sorry but Layton killed the game for me. I mean, there is a trial, a girld COULD DIE, he KNOWS THE ANSWERS but he just shuts his mouth and laughs while Phoenix has to do everything? Yeah, bye bye. I don't want to see that giant creepy pedo anymore in my entire life (and the first PL is my third favorite DS game).

Noaloha

*** finally added descriptions, bumped to a new post just to make the write-ups available for anyone checking latest pages ***

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I haven't played a whole lot of new releases this year but my favorites were:

1. Super Smash Bros for Wii U
; In a time period where games are getting cut more and more, with chunks released as DLC or "retailer exclusive preorder bonuses", it's so nice to see a game that crams so much content into it. This is the game Brawl should have been, no more extremely floaty jumping or tripping or sluggish pace, and the level designs are much better. The graphics are beautiful, the music is incredible for anyone who appreciates game music, and the controls/gameplay is satisfying as ever.

2. Bayonetta 2
; The original was the best stylish character action game I've ever played, though it had a few niggling issues (Space Harrier stages, some insta-kill-if-you-fail QTEs)... this game trims the fat and becomes even more enjoyable in the process. Not to mention it comes with a remastered version of the first game! I haven't beaten it yet but unless quality takes a nosedive in the last quarter of the game, yeah this is fucking amazing... The levels where you are "flying" and attacking feel a bit limited (that whole stage 3) but that's my only issue with the game.

3. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F2
; I'm a big fan of vocaloids, so putting this on my list is a given. Though to be honest, I prefer the first Project Diva F. This game's note patterns seem a bit 'off' from the songs, and the new star note gimmick isn't terribly intuitive. But still, the game has Luka Luka Night Fever in it!

4. Shovel Knight ; So many indie games out there try to be like the classic 8 and 16 bit platformers of old, but most come across as lacking in areas where the old games succeeded (by fucking up with the game balance, making them too easy or too hard, adding lots of superfluous features). But everything was pretty much nailed with Shovel Knight. While a lot of indie games use a really cheap-looking retro style because it takes a lot less effort, here you can tell a ton of work went into them to convey a late-gen NES look. The NPC animations are ridiculously charming as well. My only complaint is that, as a veteran of classic NES action games, elements of the level design seem all too familiar.

5. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
; Damn, that's a mouthful! While the rhythm gameplay is fairly simple and repetitive, the game is a love letter to all things FF music. With over 200+ songs to play through! That ridiculous amount of content makes this a must for anyone into FF music.

6. Mario Kart 8
; While I thought the Wii MK game was a step back, this game fixes many of the balance issues of that game. The graphics are absolutely stunning, too. I haven't played this nearly enough as I should have, but every time I've been enamored. My girlfriend (an MK vet) doesn't like this as much as MK7, though I think that has something to do with me being able to beat her consistently on this one ;)

7. Bravely Default
; While the first 3/4 of this game would probably rank as #2 or 3 on my list... you have the dreaded last quarter. The dialogue is a bit long-winded, and dungeon design is a little lacking... but the oodles of sidequests and classic turn-based RPG gameplay was right up my alley.

8. South Park: The Stick of Truth
; A game based on my favorite TV show, with Paper Mario influence? I'm not a western RPG fan but yeah that got me pretty interested! And needless to say, this game is actually very good! It started off rather slow, being a parody of all those cliche elf vs. human race wars that I hate about western RPGs... but soon after it really starts to develop into something that feels like the most ridiculous SP episode ever! So many classic moments in the second half of the game -
battling while your parents are banging, and doing a QTE to avoid a swinging nutsack / the whole scene with the aborted Kim Kardashian fetus / and going to the DQ-inspired realm of Canada
. Unfortunately, there are some gameplay flaws - I ran into quite a few glitches, and the balance is really messed up... 3/4 of the game I already hit the level cap, though I was struggling to get any kind of cash. And the majority of battles took about 2 rounds to finish with minimal difficulty.

Best game I played from a previous year ; Wild Arms 4. Such a fresh and innovative take on RPGing - combining 2D platforming, 3D platforming, puzzle solving, and hex-based strategy combat in a series whose first 3 games were pretty orthodox.

1. Dark Souls 2; first Souls game and it's a brilliant one

2. Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition; No game hooked me so quickly like this one did

3. Destiny; Loved what I played even though the story was weak

4. Mario Kart 8; best Mario Kart yet

5. Threes!; I played this game faaaaaaar more than anything else this year

Seemed like a really soft year for games. That's all I feel deserved my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom