• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What counts as playing though? 10 minutes? 10 hours? That's what I mean by arbitrary.

I technically have played Yakuza Zero, I tried the demo out, does that count then?

That vote should count for the Yakuza Zero Demo then.

Just need to confirm with cheesemister to see if demos are eligible.

1. Bloodborne. It was my first time really having a go at a From ARPG, and I'm soo glad this was the one I did, as I love almost everything about, from the gorgeous (and a lot of the time terrifying) art syle, to the fast, fun and rewarding combat, to the story. Also some of the best level and best designs I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

2. The Witcher 3. Great characters, great stories, great world and an absolutely great game that has set the new standard for WRPGs. Gwent was also great too, and would probably make my top 10 if it got a standalone release.

3. Tales From The Borderlands. The game completely blow my expectations away and made me eat crow. Likable characters, great story, amazing "villain", fantastic cast and a lot of memorable moment. TellTale's best work.

4. Dying Light. I went into knowing very little, but left having had an absolute blast, the story is completely forgettable as are the characters, but just parkouring around with friends drop kicking zombies of buildings is too fun.

5. Assassin's Creed Syndicate. It won't pull you back if you are tired of AC, but the world and protagonist are some of the best in the series and there's a lot of good missions, though they relie too much on taking a hostage.

6. Metal Gear Solid 5. It's also one my most disappointing games of the year, but the game is just so fun to play , that it makes up for almost everything else underwhelming.

7. Rise of The Tomb Raider. Doesn't do a lot of new things compared to the reboot, but improves on almost everything, if they get a decent writer and cut off a lot of the bloated parts, it could be 1 of my all time favourites.

8. Rocket League. Just pure fun, nothing more.

9. Until Dawn. A pleasant surprise, went in expecting the worst and ended up playing it for about 7 hours straight. How no one (that I can think of anyway) thought of this first blows my mind.

10. Mario Maker. I suck ass at creating levels, but seeing what the community can do more then makes up for it. Just wise I could fine more well design levels that aren't super hard or easy.

All in all 2015 was an amazing year, there's soo much more I could list, but I think these 10 are the ones that I'll look back the most fondly. Hopefully 2016 can come close.

You need to fix the formatting, see the OP.

Jonboy

Bloodborne_Cover_Wallpaper.jpg

1. Bloodborne ; I wasn't surprised I enjoyed Bloodborne, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Bloodborne. It all starts with the atmosphere, as the streets of Yharnam ooze with filth while a sense of hopelessness grips you from the moment you enter the bleak world. The subtle shift in gameplay, which forced me to rely more on offensive tactics than defensive ones, sets it apart from the Souls games preceding it. Yet all the while, it still maintains the incredible sense of discovery and accomplishment that made the Souls games so great. Despite my immediate love for the game, it wasn't until I went back for the platinum trophy and DLC I realized how well it not only holds up, but in most cases towers above, the other games I played in 2015.

Witcher_3_cover_art.jpg

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Fantasy has long been one of my favorite genres to explore, both in literature and film, as well as gaming. The Witcher 3 created a sprawling world of which I truly felt a part. My actions impacted the world and the lives of those in it. Not only that, the characters are strong enough that you care about their problems and how they end up at the end. Your choices have weight and they matter. It also helps that the game is drop-dead gorgeous. The one flaw I have with the game is with its controls, specifically, the combat. After playing something like Bloodborne, the combat here feels repetitive and too simplistic. The fact that Witcher is #2 on my list is a testament to just how great the game despite those flaws.

Metal_Gear_Solid_V_The_Phantom_Pain_cover.png

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I'll start by saying I'm not a Metal Gear guy. Having long felt the series was overrated, I almost didn't even try MGSV. The reviews sold me and I gave it a shot and boy am I glad I did. While many of the long-time Metal Gear fans seemed disappointed by the lack of story, I was thrilled. For me, the focus on gameplay was a welcome change. It shocked me how quickly I was pulling off advanced maneuvers and that I actually cared about building up my base, a segment of the game I had planned to skip. I even found myself itching to replay missions in order to try out a different tactic to see how things played out differently. While I've never been a big Metal Gear fan, I've always been a huge fan of stealth and stealth tactics in games. With MGSV, I had more fun with a stealth game than ever before, and that's why it's easily my favorite Metal Gear game of all-time.

Destiny_The_Taken_King_cover.png

4. Destiny: The Taken King ; I spent more time with TTK than any other game on this list. I've been a fan since day 1, but TTK improved on many of the problems we had since early in year 1. Bungie has nailed the shooter mechanics from the beginning, but struggled in other areas. TTK addresses many of those shortcomings by providing a better story, varied missions, and an incredible raid. With stronger support following its launch, TTK could've been even higher on my list.

250px-Rocket_League_coverart.jpg

5. Rocket League ; Rocket League sold me from the moment I picked up the controller. It's one of those games where you instantly know what to do in a classic "pick-up-and-play" sense. Yet, the more you play, the more nuanced it becomes. I have no doubt were I still in college, I would have played this game religiously with dorm mates. Rocket League is the one game on my list I regret not being able to play more. I have fun every time I play, but so many other games have pulled me away. That still doesn't prevent me from recognizing Rocket League as a truly great game and one of the best of 2015.

1. Rocket League ; really competitive, satisfying, fun. Perfect.
2. Bloodborne ; thrilling. exploring the environments the first time through is also... engaging.
3. Splatoon ; fun multiplayer, looks good, cool music, fun single-player. good design: that's what i'm talking about.
4. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; as much as it was short, my memory of almost all of it was that it was very well designed and fresh, and looked fantastic.
5. Undertale ; this game is very flawed, yet the moments i loved in it were so surprising and joyful.
6. Yoshi's Woolly World ; a great platformer. challenging and aesthetically pleasing. and don't forget about that generally good design: that's what i'm talking about.
7. Super Mario Maker ; designing levels is fun. and implementation? that's what i call easy. i've played some great levels online. and those are the kind of levels i like. it's missing a lot, but hey, let's buy some amiibo.
8. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; there's a lot about this i did not enjoy. but i can't deny* that the predominant gameplay was often a lot of fun. *see?
9. Tembo the Badass Elephant ; this is nothing amazingly special, but it was also fun for what it was. it's environments are nice. it provides a good challenge. gameplay thumbs up. nice game. sound too quiet!
10. Life is Strange ; couple of things I really didn't enjoy while I played it (the squirrel should have been the mastermind), but other times i loved being in its world.

1. Bloodborne ; loved everything about this - fantastic gameplay, world design, soundtrack, atmosphere and lore.

2. Transformers: Devestation ; looks great, sounds great, plays great. Spectacular fun.

3. The Talos Principle ; superb puzzler with great learning curve and a really thought provoking story.

4. Uncharted: the Nathan Drake Collection ; a quality remaster with three great single player games in one package.

5. Axiom Verge ; lovely old-school metroid-like. Engagingly mysterious story with lots of secrets to find - just a lot of fun.

6. Until Dawn ; I did not expect to like this at all, but ended up devouring it in two sittings - really engaging characters got me invested in a really fun game.

7. SOMA ; just superb!

Zach

You should be able to vote for any game you want -- played or not -- because who the F cares?

Anyway, it's still cracking me up how dudes are posting lengthy write-ups -- like that triple-post earlier -- that still are not following the formatting requirements.

You should be able to vote for any game you want -- played or not -- because who the F cares?

Anyway, it's still cracking me up how dudes are posting lengthy write-ups -- like that triple-post earlier -- that still are not following the formatting requirements.

He posted a list for the parser at the bottom.

SomTervo

I'm genuinely excited to see what wins the vote. It's been a fascinating year and this is a fascinating thread.

My prediction: Bloodborne is going to lose out to The Witcher 3.

I think TW3 will take the top spot from brute force alone - I think more people will have it on their list than BB, and I think those people will have it more frequently on #1-5 spots on the list.

I think fewer people will have BB on their list, but that smaller number are more likely to have it as #1-3.

It will be close, but I think TW3 will take the cake.

I'm genuinely excited to see what wins the vote. It's been a fascinating year and this is a fascinating thread.

So am I. We really had some exceptionally great games last year. I haven't followed this thread for a few days, but I find myself thinking about it almost daily. At some point it seemed that Bloodborne would take the cake, so it really will be interesting to see the final results. I'm also hoping a good ranking for Life is Strange and I think it will get one.

I did not expect to be re ordering my list and adding new things to it so close to the deadline. 2015 has been amazing now that I am trying to decide my top ten. Ahhhh. I think I got this though. Hopefully I can post tonight.

silva1991

My prediction: Bloodborne is going to lose out to The Witcher 3.

I think TW3 will take the top spot from brute force alone - I think more people will have it on their list than BB, and I think those people will have it more frequently on #1-5 spots on the list.

I think fewer people will have BB on their list, but that smaller number are more likely to have it as #1-3.

It will be close, but I think TW3 will take the cake.

I too think W3 will win, but the gap is very very small.

Robiin

I originally put Witcher as number 2 and Bloodborne as GOTY but I just played 40 more hours of The Witcher in a matter of days and now I'm not sure what to do! It's just getting better and better the more you play. Just redid my build after playing with signs and am now tanking as a potion-obsessed tank throwing bombs in people's faces and I am having so much fun, even with the combat! The deadline is so close and I can't decide.

I originally put Witcher as number 2 and Bloodborne as GOTY but I just played 40 more hours of The Witcher in a matter of days and now I'm not sure what to do! It's just getting better and better the more you play. Just redid my build after playing with signs and am now tanking as a potion-obsessed tank throwing bombs in people's faces and I am having so much fun, even with the combat! The deadline is so close and I can't decide.

If W3 loses it will be your fault! your fault!

Zoibie

1. Life is Strange ; One of the only games to give me post-completion blues that I don't get to spend any more time in this world or with these characters. This game is just so refreshingly earnest - sure there are big bads to thwart and some sci-fi stuff going on in the periphery, but the focus of the game is squarely on Max and Chloe and that's where this game excels. Life is Strange simply would not have worked without the outstanding writing and voice acting of both characters - the incredible soundtrack choices that punctuate the most important moments helped a lot too. They've already bested Telltale in the episodic format with these 5 episodes, but if Dontnod can recreate the attachment I felt to these characters with season 2, Life is Strange as a series could turn into something truly special.

2. Bloodborne ; Perhaps I'm just a little bored of From Software doing medieval fantasy worlds and dragons and whatnot, but for my money, the town of Yharnam and all of its guests - and visitors - are easily the developer's most distinctive and haunting. Everything about Bloodborne is designed to unnerve, from the colossal and often hideous boss monsters, to the narrow streets and eerie ambiance. Bloodborne is an artistic masterpiece. The increase in combat speed is a very welcome change too, providing far more intense encounters than previous games. The rush of satisfaction when defeating a particularly tricky boss was unparalleled, not just compared to games released this year but the souls series as a whole. Beating Vicar Amelia while slightly underlevelled was my personal favourite David and Goliath moment - no blood vials, no numbing mists and a tiny sliver of health between us. It's everything that Dark Souls 2 wasn't, basically, where beating a boss was met with more of a "oh thank god I don't have to do that again" than a "wow, I actually did it."

3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Normally the prospect of new DLC for a game I played and finished and moved on from months ago doesn't excite me all that much. It's just going to be more of the same. I cannot wait for the upcoming Blood and Wine expansion. Hell, if my copy of the game wasn't with a friend at the moment I'd probably be back in that world right now doing some side missions, exploring the world, soaking in the atmosphere, and pretending I'm even a tenth as cool as everybodies favourite easy-going gruff-sounding monster hunter. I already knew how good the developers were after playing The Witcher 2, but after Wild Hunt I'll follow CD Projekt Red to the ends of the earth.

4. Rocket League ; It may initially sound like a strange comparison but for me Rocket League is this year's Threes - a game with a deceptively high skill ceiling that has captured my attention and keeps me coming back like no other. I have my good days and my bad days... well, mostly bad days (down-down is my go-to quick chat command) but those moments where everything goes exactly as planned and you're pirouetting the ball into the top corner are unmatched in any multiplayer game this year. Factor in the fantastic post launch support that looks set to continue throughout the rest of this year and I don't think I'm gonna be putting this game down anytime soon.

5. Undertale ; I haven't got too far into Undertale yet but I'm already enamored with its charm and wonder. Trying not to listen to all of the soundtrack on Youtube before I encounter it in the game is too hard.

6. Ether One ; Despite being a PlayStation Plus freebie at some point, I'm a little disappointed there hasn't been much talk about Ether One. It did launch on console in an unfortunately bug-ridden state but behind the progression issues is a really effecting game about the devastating effects of Alzheimers and how exhausting it must be for those living with it. I encourage anyone who added it to their library to go back and give it a shot when they get a spare few hours.

7. Her Story ;

8. Grow Home ;

9. The Talos Principle ;

10. Titan Souls ;

Majestad

Banned

Have you played Hearts of Stone for the Witcher 3? That will decide which game is your favorite. Trust me.

Have you played The Old Hunters for Bloodborne? That will decide which game is your favorite. Trust me.

Ludwig is such an amazing boss.

Zach

The Witcher wins this thang easily. People around these parts love that game.

6. Ether One ; Despite being a PlayStation Plus freebie at some point, I'm a little disappointed there hasn't been much talk about Ether One. It did launch on console in an unfortunately bug-ridden state but behind the progression issues is a really effecting game about the devastating effects of Alzheimers and how exhausting it must be for those living with it. I encourage anyone who added it to their library to go back and give it a shot when they get a spare few hours.

Honestly, I probably won't go back to it... but I'll at least consider it because of your post. Intriguing premise.

Majestad

Banned
1. The Witcher 3 (My new favorite game ever)
2. Bloodborne (A new entry in my top 5 ever)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
5. Halo 5
6. Rise of the Tomb Raider
7. Ori and the Blind Forest
8. Fallout 4
9. Batman Arkham Knight
10. Axiom Verge

One of the best years of gaming I've experienced.

The Witcher wins this thang easily. People around these parts love that game.

Honestly, I probably won't go back to it... but I'll at least consider it because of your post. Intriguing premise.

Don't underestimate thirsty bloodborne fans like this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172618

Have you played The Old Hunters for Bloodborne? That will decide which game is your favorite. Trust me.

Ludwig is such an amazing boss.

That's completely true. The DLC is just top tier gaming that closes the Bloodborne experience on a high note. BB was not even my GOTY until I finished the DLC some months ago (MGS5 was). It made me look at it in a whole new light. Great stuff.

usp84

Haha its gonna be glorious when the results come no matter which game wins!

Btw i just bought the expansion pass for The Witcher 3.Maybe i should finish it before the 23rd lol

Floody

That's completely true. The DLC is just top tier gaming that closes the Bloodborne experience on a high note. BB was not even my GOTY until I finished the DLC some months ago (MGS5 was). It made me look at it in a whole new light. Great stuff.

The Old Hunters is what sealed it for me too, before it I was always switching BB and The Witcher all the time. I probably won't get to The Witcher's DLC until the next one is about to release, so unless CD Projekt Red have a nice surprise for us, will probably be too late to change.

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
Bloodborne will win here IMO, however - for pure entertainment value - I'd rather see the Witcher winning, or even better: first winning, then loosing after recounting - or the other way around. BB vs W3 threads are so efficient when it comes to salt production & triggering passive-aggressive reactions.

XBqMUJw.png

1. Kerbal Space Program ; This game changed my understanding of the universe. No other video game, let alone one in 2015, can begin to claim that. As hyperbolic as that may seem to some, it really only scratches the surface of what makes KSP phenomenal. Every space video game, sci-fi movie, NASA video, Space X live stream, Pluto news article, etc is illuminated in a completely new light thanks to my time with KSP. What KSP taught me, has given me an entirely new appreciation of mankind’s achievements in space. Everytime I look at the moon or the stars, I have a better understanding of how they move, and why they move that way. It’s as if KSP taught me a new language, and in a sense it did. The universal language of orbital mechanics. What is truly amazing about KSP, is not that it ends up teaching you about the fundamentals of orbital mechanics or rocket design, it is how it imparts that knowledge. The innocent little green Kerbals and the countless ways they can meet their untimely demise, softens the learning curve. You can have hours of entertainment barely leaving the launch pad in one piece. However, as you improve and set new goals, you begin to digest each new step required to get into space, but more importantly how to make them to stay there.

Any game could give you a wall of text explaining orbital mechanics, but KSP does it through addictive and rewarding gameplay. Each success is met with the desire to push yourself further. KSP doesn’t rely on loot, rankings, or unlocks to incentivise the player, it utilizes humankind’s innate desire to explore the cosmos. The first time I successfully landed on the Mun, the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment I felt, far exceeded the thousands of trophies and achievements I have earned in video games up to that point...combined. It is a truly astonishing game that I will play for the rest of my life. I recently became a father, and I look forward to sharing gaming with my son as he gets older. The list of games that I absolutely cannot wait to play with him is one entry long, Kerbal Space Program.

JDsv8qc.png

2. DiRT Rally ; 2015 had several sleeper hits, and DiRT Rally is one of them. From a rather quiet early access to an abrupt 1.0 release, DiRT Rally wasn’t on many people’s radar. However, once word started to circulate, it was unanimous praise. DiRT Rally is the best game Codemasters has released in almost two decades. Moreover, it is arguably the best rally game since the much coveted Richard Burns Rally. DiRT Rally returns the series back to its more pure, hardcore rally roots, and it is better for it. The sport of rally racing has adrenaline and excitement by the piston full. There is no need for over the top physics-defying speed, boost buttons, artificial motion blur and DOF effects. All you need is some pacenotes, highly detailed rally stages modeled after their real world counterparts, and the incredible machines that have raced down them for half a century. There is nothing quite like being in the zone in DiRT Rally. When you know you need to push on the final stage, and that the smallest lapse in concentration is all that separates you from victory or a race ending crash, you experience a thrill seldom achievable in gaming. I expect to see this game back on lists in 2016 as it launches on consoles.

B0eCAkF.png

3. Rocket League ; I love cars. I love soccer. Yet, Rocket League still completely blindsided me with its brilliant and addictive gameplay. It is rare that a game can seamlessly blend easy pickup and play mechanics with high level eSport worthy depth. You can grasp the concept of the game instantly, but mastering the skills of aerials and other high level tricks will keep you coming back night after night. I love playing this game with friends and on my own. I can play one match or fifteen in a session and still walk away satisfied. I expect this game to stay in my play rotation for several years.

SAQROic.png

4. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege ; Even though I placed DiRT Rally higher (race sims are my favorite genre), Rainbow Six Siege is without a doubt the sleeper hit of the year. I cooled on Tom Clancy games ages ago, but I always liked little bits of what I saw in them. Tactical FPS gameplay has always been appealing, but the format was never quite right for me. Other than the occasional banner on PSN, I had no idea this game was even out, let alone how fantastic it was. Thanks to an enthusiastic GAF thread, I began to watch some videos and streams of gameplay and I immediatly realized this was the SWAT meets Counter Strike game I have been dreaming about since I was kid. Rappelling upside down, breaching through walls, swinging in through windows just after a flash bang pops, the list of gameplay moments that make you grin ear to ear while feeling like a bad ass are near endless. The sound design is also incredibly well crafted. When you have a pair of headphones on, and you hunker down to defend and room, you can sense player movement like some sort of acoustic wall hack. As the tension rises, and the sounds of the attacking players close in on you, you feel a sense of suspense that only the best thriller movies can achieve. Ubisoft could have packaged and marketed the game a bit better. The reward and unlock structure being nearly verbatim to Heroes of the Storm, a free-to-play game, does not make a strong first impression after you just paid $50, but don’t let the cover put you off the book. Siege is not only the best FPS I have played in years, it is also the only FPS I have enjoyed PvP in since COD4.

I2XtMvw.png

5. Helldivers ; This top down co-op game comes off as a simple twin stick shooter, but the depth and fun Helldivers can deliver is commendable. The always on friendly fire combined with the clever stratagem system makes for tense gameplay moments as well as hilarious laugh out loud failures. The Starship Troopers tone of this game is a perfect match for the mechanics and game design. I loved every moment I had with Helldivers. Spreading democracy throughout the galaxy has never been more enjoyable.

gIxVhp5.png

6. Heroes of the Storm ; This is the first MOBA I have ever played. That says it all. I had a blast playing HotS, and it was the only game to ever bring me into the MOBA fold and finally understand what people have been going crazy about for years.

kkBTAF3.png

7. Destiny: The Taken King ; Too little too late is how I would sum up my time with TTK. It was great to have a deluge of new content that made Destiny fun again, and running the new raid with my buddies was once again top notch gameplay and a truly unique experience. However, a lot of the same bullshit from year one began to slowly come back and the new content eventually dried up. I am onboard for Destiny 2, but I don’t see myself returning until then. The end game still feels like an exploitative job more than a fun game.

pw2T1DU.png

8. iRacing: Nordschliefe ; Adding a single track to a racing game may not seem like a notable release, but this is the Nordscliefe in iRacing. It’s not just that iRacing created a stunningly accurate representation of “The Ring,” other games have very accurate versions as well. It is the fact that you finally get to experience this track with iRacing’s cars, physics engine and their unrivaled online racing platform. I have logged literally thousands of laps around this track across a dozen racing sims through the years, but iRacing’s version still managed to make it feel new and cause white knuckles all over again.

1x4wWsT.png

9. Grow Home ; I heard good things about this game, but it wasn’t until it was free on PS+ that I finally gave it a try, and I am happy I did. The first few minutes of Grow Home had me thinking, “I don’t get it.” It was when I was a few thousand meters up, hanging on the bottom side of a rock with one hand, looking down, when I realize how cool this game is. Fun QWOP-like controls combined with the marvel of open world 3D platforming I haven’t felt since Mario 64 plants Grow Home firmly in this list.

n8kwcAQ.png

10. Undertale ; A fun throwback RPG that subverts your expectations of all the JRPGs you played growing up. Great writing and clever twists make this game charming and memorable. The bullet hell mechanics, although cleverly integrated into the game, put me off enough from ever wanting to try a second run, but that first time through was great.

Honorable Mentions
x. Cities: Skylines ; Everything Sim City should have been and then some. I just wish this game came out first so I didn’t waste all of my city designing efforts on the inferior game.
x. Fallout 4 ; It is an improved version of Fallout 3, but not different enough. I hit the same Bethesda open world wall where I find little to no motivation to return to the world or finish the main story. Sometimes less is more.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; The most unlikely, atypical and strange opus in the series is also it's finest hour after that leap to three dimensions was taken years ago.

2. Super Mario Maker ; Super MaMa makes Creating as fun as playing. It's something magical when the use of a creation toolset is as compelling as conquering it's potentially devilish levels.

3. Pillars of Eternity ; A return to a more classic style cRPG gives us a taste of what we have been missing all these years.

4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; CDProject first attempt established the world and setting. The second one succeeded refining it's mechanics and action elements. Wild Hunt is the combination of all the predecessors merits and applying them at a larger scale.

5. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Style, substance and simplicity served to platformer lovers of all skill levels.

6. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Even a somewhat disappointing (to some) Arkham game, still manages to capture the essence of the mythical hero better than any other medium could ever do.

7. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Well this shows that there's some thirst for large scale and expensive projects at Nintendo, so the demands of many have been met. So how it hasn't sold a million yet? XD

8. Cities: Skylines ; This accomplishes what Will Wright's vision once was, before it's creation was robbed of it's soul to become the banquet for an insatiable capitalist beast.

9. The Talos Principle ; If Portal is the paternal figure then Talos is the son playing with his shoes and walking quite swiftly.

10. Splatoon ; Proof that if there's a will, there's certainly a place for creativity and innovation even in a genres that have become skeletal and sterile.

Honorable Mentions

x. Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water ; NO... we still waiting for games that makes good use of those stupid NIntendo gimmicks. XD

x. Fallout 4 ; Something as ambitious deserves recognition even if it isn't successful in all aspects and should be forgiven when it betrays itself.

x. Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes ; This one reminds me of those classic Nintendo local multiplayer games, where the communication skills of the player are as, if not more important, than his motor ones.

x. Boxboy! ; 1 CrossPad, 2 Actions buttons and lot's of imagination show off how far you can go still with this ancient input system.

Chill dude.

I'm not salty. The Witcher III is second on my list and I consider it a masterpiece. By far the best open world game I've ever played. But you calling out Bloodborne fans is incredibly ironic given your post history. I daresay you're far more vocal about The Witcher III than any Bloodborne fan is toward Bloodborne. You've made some pretty ridiculous posts in the last few weeks and even went so far as to post in the TW3 community thread asking people to vote for GOTY. I just felt the need to point that out.

Anyway, off-topic so I'll shut up.

1. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; It was my first MGS game, and ended up one of my favorite games of all time. Absolutely loved it.
2. Elite: Dangerous ; Such a wonderful game. It has a ton of problems, but something about space makes me not care that much.
3. Cities: Skylines

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
1. Bloodborne ; Absolutely amazing game. Immensely deep, rewarding, and the setting is superb. Super solid fresh take on the Souls series.

2. Rocket League ; Easily my favorite multiplayer game of the year. So simple yet so complicated at the same time.

3. Super Mario Maker ; Yup. This is awesome. Practically the game we have always wanted.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain ; Easily one of the best MGS games in the franchise. Just an overall very solid MGS game.

5. Transformers Devastation ; Platinum + My childhood nostalgia. Yes please. Love me some platinum action games and being 80s style transformers cartoon is the icing on the cake.

6. Splatoon ; Unbelievably artistic and creative multiplayer game.

7. Sunless Sea ; Setting, setting, setting. So good. This game just has the perfect feel to it. Games that get immensely better when placing alone in the dark have such impact on me.

8. Helldivers ; Such a great 4 player co-op game. We really need more games like this and this is one of the best. Friendly fire really makes this game what it is.

9. Resident Evil Revelations 2 ; I love me some revelations. loved the first one, and I love this one. classic bare bones RE is just so good.

10. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Loved HLM and I feel this is a superior sequel to the original. Also great soundtrack.

AyanFaust

Banned
1. Witcher 3; What is there to say about this game that hasn't been said before? The world is beautiful. The characters all have a certain charm about them (Even random side quest characters who don't have names). Quests all have miniature stories tied into them that really tie you into a world. It really feels like you're entering a living breathing world. The music is remarkable, the voice actors prove they are in their own caliber, and the story had me anywhere from laughing my ass off to nearly crying. Forget GOTY. At about 200 hours in, it's one of my favorite games ever.

2. Undertale; I got aboard the Undertale train before the hype train took off, so I came in just hoping for a nice and quirky game to waste some time. I got so much more than I was expecting. It's premise, while simple, is outstandingly done. Game play is perfect for what it sets out to do, and the characters are all wonderful characters that you really grow attached to over the course of your small journey. While Toby Fox proves he can make a fun game with an excellent story, ultimately, he's a music guy. The music in this game is among the greatest and will stay with you long after the masterful endings.

3. The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone; I started this expansion forcing myself not to get too hyped. At the first part where I'm tasked with hunting some random monster, I thought I was in for a fun quest, but not a wonderful one. I am so glad I was wrong. HoS is some of the best things about Witcher 3 tied into a small package for you. Antagonists are amazing, boss fights are superb and better designed than most(if not all) of the standard game fights, and of course the story is as wonderfully written as the actual main story. CDPR proves they can be trusted once again, and I can't wait for Blood and Wine.

4. Bloodborne; Bloodborne is going to be a divisive game no matter how you slice it. At times, it's a pretty brutal game that feels insurmountable. That high after beating a boss or rather disbelief at somehow making it makes it all worth it though. Like most things on my list, the music is again wonderful. For the most part, it's rather minimalistic until you get to the boss where it all comes down in its' choir and epicness. Couple that with beautiful(if slightly terrifying) visuals, excellent bosses, an even more excellent battle system, and the ability to beat up werewolves with a cane(sword) while wearing a top hat, and you easily have one of the best games of the year.

Quick, everyone put MGSV on top!

W3 fans would bitch
BB maniacs would whine
Anti-MGS crowd would be livid, probably even more than after the MGS4 win.

twist:
MGSV actually deserves GOTY 2015

BiggNife

Getting invested in what the overall GOTY will be is dumb. Just cast your vote and let other people cast theirs. Trying to rally people to vote for one game over the other is kind of childish imo.

10. Steins;Gate ;

Since semicolons are the delimiter between game titles and comments, this needs to be changed to "SteinsGate". Hopefully 5pb gets over their obsession with semicolons soon! ;)

Normally I'd PM something like this but I just want to make sure everyone's aware of this particular issue since it's a special case.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
1. Splatoon ; It's absolutely brilliant. The mechanics are amazing, the art is amazing. I've sunk 175 hours into it. And I loathe competitive multiplayer shooters. It's seriously the best.
2. Undertale ; I was blown away by this. It completely lived up to the hype for me.
3. Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version ; Portable Taiko is tremendously fun.
4. Super Mario Maker ; I'd dreamed about something like this since I was a small child. I just haven't had the time to really get the most out of it, otherwise I'm sure it would be higher.
5. Axiom Verge ; If Nintendo won't give us new Metroid, I guess this will have to suffice. It's very good.

Calabria

Banned
Can someone just spoil me with the result so far? I don't want to or care to wait till the 23rd. I'm curious, pls pm me Bloodborne vs TW3 who wins?

Thanks

Can someone just spoil me with the result so far? I don't want to or care to wait till the 23rd. I'm curious, pls pm me Bloodborne vs TW3 who wins?

Thanks

There's usually a run on voting in the last day or so, and it may be too close to call...

Anyway, the answer is no, and shame on you for asking!

Ridesh

Banned
1. Bloodborne ; it's one of the finest game ever made. The game consumed me. I think about it when I work, when I sleep, when I eat, or when I poop

Thanks

Holy phuck, you aren't going to do something stupid if Bloodborne doesn't win, right?

JerkShep

I was kinda into the Witcher - Bloodborne rivalry but now I'm more curious to see how other games will rank honestly.

Need to finish my write up soon, trying to tell something new about the top games is hard.

allftw

Neo Member
1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; As a fan of the series since I played the first game in 2007, this game had everything I wanted and then some. Definitely one of my favourite RPGs ever.
2. Undertale ; Amazing game with equally amazing writing and music.
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; It is incomplete and has a shit story but the gameplay gave me dozens of hours of fun.
4. SOMA ; Great setting and atmosphere accompanied by a great story.
5. Her Story ;
6. The Beginner's Guide ;
7. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ;
8. Bloodborne ;
9. Batman: Arkham Knight ;
10. Life is Strange ;

DNAbro

I was kinda into the Witcher - Bloodborne rivalry but now I'm more curious to see how other games will rank honestly.

Need to finish my write up soon, trying to tell something new about the top games is hard.

Well MGSV is probably 3rd and I think the next 3 is a toss up between Splatoon, Undertale, and Life is Strange. May be wrong though, that is just what I'm seeing.

Neiteio

I just jotted down the 20 titles whose names most come to mind from skimming this thread. No particular order. I won't post them, because I don't want to influence the results, but I'll be interested to see how they align with the actual top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom