• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

doemaaan

BRUH... I just realized that I play games months after they release. Nearly everything I've played this year came out last year -_-. My list shall be short.

1. Final Fantasy XV ; 80+ hours so far and I just reached Chapter 11. Lots of fun and though a different approach to the series, it's a welcome one.

2. Uncharted 4 ; Favorite Uncharted game. INCREDIBLE graphics. The detail in the draw distance had me stunned.

3. Playstation VR Worlds ; This is specifically on here because of London Heist and The Kitchen. Had a blast setting people up with the Kitchen demo and the London demo was a surreal experience for me. Everything felt very natural and convincing. Wish more VR titles were like that. Hell, I wish London Heist was longer!

4. Ratchet and Clank ; One of the best remakes of an already great title. And it truly is a playable Pixar experience.

---

Honorable Mentions
The Talos Principle ; Not only one of the best puzzles games I've ever played, but I put this somewhere in my Top 20. Currently trying the beat Road to Gehenna.

The Elder Scrolls Online ; I actually put over 100+ hours into this. Was having a blast, then I realized I only explore a 10th of the map? If that? Playing alone got really boring and couldn't find any friends to jump on with me. Oh well, I've got way too much other tuff to get to.

One million other games I have ; I've purchased more games this year than I ever have before. Digital, physical, PS+ (until my sub ran out). Plenty of great experiences, but before I finish one title, I move to the next. Puppeteer, Evil Within, Doom, Assassin's Creed Unity, FF Type-0, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Alien Isolation, Broken Age, Transistor, Ether, Fez, Grim Fandango, Undertale, The Stanley Parable, Guacamelee, Lara Croft Temple of Osiris, Life is Strange, Metro Redux, Rocket League, Shadow Warrior, Shantae and the Pirate Curse, Sleeping Dogs DE, Super Meat Boy, Table Top Racing, Tearaway Unfolded, The Bridge, The Deadly Tower of Monsters, The Fall, The Tomorrow Children, Tower of Guns, White Night.... And I have about the same amount of titles that I still haven't touched yet... I should try that "52 games in one year" thread.

This year has been pretty lean for me as I mostly found myself replaying old games. There wasn't much that sparked my interest and some of the games that I was excited for and expected this year were pushed to 2017, like South Park and Persona 5. The new games I did play this year were mostly a surprise for me in one way or another.

1. Overwatch ; I didn't really know much about this game. I'm not really a big Blizzard fan, and I actually thought this was a PC exclusive until that pre-launch free weekend where I played it on the PS4. I expected it to be like Battleborn, which I had played the pre-launch free weekend of and disliked, and so I didn't expect much from it. I played a few rounds and thought it was sort of decent. Played around with some different characters, and eventually I played as Mei and the game just clicked. I went from barely knowing anything about it to pre-ordering it in under a day. I've put nearly 300 hours into it this year, and I still love the hell out of it. I haven't played a MP game this much since the original Counterstrike over 15 years ago. Love the hell out of it.

2. Final Fantasy XV ; After years of development and not seeing much I was interested in, I fully expected this to be a turd. It is certainly not perfect and has some unfortunate flaws, but what does work, works really well. I loved the four bros, and I went in fully expecting to hate them. I loved the battle system, which was a huge improvement over that turgid shit they had in the demo. I loved exploring, and I loved the dungeons. If the story had managed to be good, this would easily be one of the top Final Fantasy games. As it is, it's still a really good game, and more than anything I was just happy to play a good new single-player FF for the first time in a decade.

3. Stardew Valley ; I knew nothing about this game until the Giantbomb quicklook. It looked interesting and Dan's enthusiasm really sold me on it. I don't have a PC at the moment so I had to wait until the recent PS4 release. I was instantly hooked. Mundane shit like planning and running your farm was actually fun. I liked the little town, and the characters in it. The music reminded me of Secret of Mana, and the graphics reminded me of Chrono Trigger (my guy has Crono's hair) which are definitely good things. Just a nice relaxing game to play.

4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition ; Not really much of a surprise aside from being announced and releasing this year, I guess. But still, this is one of my favorite games ever and the PS4 is a huge improvement over the 360 version. Shame about Sony and the mod situation, but it's still a classic.

5. Hitman ; I am not a fan of this series. Never have been. Being released episodically just screamed failure to me for some reason. But I was wrong. This was another game the guys at Giantbomb sold me on. Just messing around in the environments is great fun, and I'm a sucker for unlockables which this game has plenty of. I got around to season 1 late (just last week), but if there is a season 2 I'll get it day one.

6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; CD Projeckt Red doesn't really mess around with their DLC. This DLC was pretty damn big, bigger than many full $60 games. Like The Witcher 3 itself, the gameplay isn't all that special, but what works is the writing, and they definitely pull it off here. I got one of the "bad" endings, but I actually felt it worked really well for the story being told, so that's something.

7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Aside from my hope of a Persona 5 release this year, this was the game I was looking forward to the most, and it wound up to be a bit of a disappointment. It's not a bad game, but it's not really a good one either. The production values were through the roof, but much of the game is just a boring slog. The story didn't do much for me, and I never really warmed Sam which is unfortunate because he's a huge part of the game. I generally like Troy Baker but his Sam just sounded like a mix between Kanji Tatsumi and Cliff Clavin, although thinking about it, that's pretty awesome. And then I was pretty excited for the multiplayer after playing the betas, but they changed some stuff in ways I didn't care for, and the impending release of the superior Overwatch also killed some of my hype.

Jonboy

1. Dark Souls 3 ; Not my favorite in the series, but in the end, it still managed to edge out the #2 title on my list as my favorite game of the year. Miyazaki delivered yet again with more incredible boss battles, unique and powerful weapons, and an intricate, labyrinthine world.

2. Overwatch ; I wasn't surprised at the critical reception Overwatch received, but I am surprised how much I ended up liking it. It didn't seem like my kind of game, which is why I've only recently gotten into the title. The fact that it's this high on my list will tell you what a strong impression it's already made.

3. Uncharted 4 ; A glorious end to a fantastic series. There are quibbles here and there, but I thought it was a near perfect send-off for Nathan Drake.

4. Titanfall 2 ; The original Titanfall hooked me with the multiplayer, but the sequel wowed me with its campaign. The pacing, fluidity of movement, and level design came together to create one of the better shooter campaigns I've played.

5. Dishonored 2 ; Dishonored 2 ended up being almost exactly what I expected, save for a few twists and gameplay tweaks I hadn't anticipated. The level design is really what brings the experience together.

6. Batman ; Had taken a break from TellTale, but I'm glad I chose to jump back in with Batman. Played the entire season in a few days and really enjoyed it, even if the last episode fell a bit flat for m.

7. Ratchet & Clank ; Had never played the game originally so this was even more of a treat for me. Gorgeous and fun the whole way.

8. The Last Guardian ; I definitely get the criticisms and while The Last Guardian has its flaws, there's an incredibly beautiful experience here and one that I'll always remember.

Moofers

1) Gears of War 4 ; This was my most played game that released this year. I just think it's an incredible package. Co-op campaign, a great horde mode, and the VS feels right. The gear pack system is an ongoing blemish but it doesn't change the fact that I've got like 100 hours in and had a great time the whole way.

2) Doom ; It was just an incredible ride the whole way through. Plus the soundtrack is amazing.

3) Killing Floor 2 ; This game feels fast, fluid, and FUN. It's a great co-op shooter that makes you feel like a king with every headshot.

4) The King of Fighters XIV ; It is great to have this series back in top form! I had such a good time with this and will continue to for years. The soundtrack is great, the costumes are perfect, and the stages are fun to look at. Top notch all around.

5) Stranger of Sword City ; My best Vita game this year and a hell of a great dungeon crawling RPG. I love the art (the non-anime style) and really appreciate the interesting soundtrack. The story and setting are a great mix of fantasy with the modern world so I enjoy that about it as well. This is also on PC and Xbox One so check it out!

6) Valkyria Chronicles Remastered ; Still one of a kind and unforgettable.

7) Halo 5: Warzone Firefight ; This mode only came out this year and it really made Halo 5 for me. It's the best thing to happen to Halo since Reach and deserves special mention.

That's all I got for officially numbered entries! I'd put Persona 4 Golden on here if I could but I can't!

I love every and all of you that have put Witness on your GOTY list. As I play through it, I'm just kind of in awe with how much my mind is being blown by the creativity at display.

I don't know where it'll ultimately land on my ranking but boy am I glad it was on sale on PSN. I would have been really upset to play it after and not be able to give it a nod in my top 10 list.

Cause holy shit. This game is amazing.

chixdiggit

1. Shadow Warrior 2 ; Great sequel to a great game from some outstanding devs. Just plain fun.
2. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; Really dig this game a lot. Not much of a stealth game guy but this is done great. Reminds me of Lost Vikings.
3. Doom ; So many satisfying moments. Really loved secret hunting in this game.
4. Gears of War 4 ; As a PC player I really appreciate that I can play some horde with my console friends.
5. Titanfall 2 ; Award for most improved sequel right here.
6. Sid Meier's Civilization VI ; Would be higher on the list if not for some balancing issues. Excited to see what this game will be like in a year from now.
7. Clash Royale ; Only mobile game ever to really hook me. Played way too much of this in 2016 and I'm sure 2017 will be no different
8. Tom Clancy's The Division ; Lonely and boring alone. A lot of fun with friends. Some real intense times in the dark zone.
9. Dungeon Souls ; Excellent Gauntlet type rouge like game.
10. Killing Floor 2 ; Another great with friends game. Kind of burnt out on it though.

1) Gears of War 4 - This was my most played game that released this year. I just think it's an incredible package. Co-op campaign, a great horde mode, and the VS feels right. The gear pack system is an ongoing blemish but it doesn't change the fact that I've got like 100 hours in and had a great time the whole way.

2) Doom - It was just an incredible ride the whole way through. Plus the soundtrack is amazing.

3) Killing Floor 2 - This game feels fast, fluid, and FUN. It's a great co-op shooter that makes you feel like a king with every headshot.

4) The King of Fighters XIV - It is great to have this series back in top form! I had such a good time with this and will continue to for years. The soundtrack is great, the costumes are perfect, and the stages are fun to look at. Top notch all around.

5) Stranger of Sword City - My best Vita game this year and a hell of a great dungeon crawling RPG. I love the art (the non-anime style) and really appreciate the interesting soundtrack. The story and setting are a great mix of fantasy with the modern world so I enjoy that about it as well. This is also on PC and Xbox One so check it out!

6) Valkyria Chronicles Remastered - Still one of a kind and unforgettable.

7) Halo 5: Warzone Firefight This mode only came out this year and it really made Halo 5 for me. It's the best thing to happen to Halo since Reach and deserves special mention.

That's all I got for officially numbered entries! I'd put Persona 4 Golden on here if I could but I can't!

Don't forget your semi-colons! (this page has been better about this than other pages).

I love every and all of you that have put Witness on your GOTY list. As I play through it, I'm just kind of in awe with how much my mind is being blown by the creativity at display.

I don't know where it'll ultimately land on my ranking but boy am I glad it was on sale on PSN. I would have been really upset to play it after and not be able to give it a nod in my top 10 list.

Cause holy shit. This game is amazing.

Is it ALL line puzzles like I've heard? I'm used to games that come out of all directions and disciplines for puzzles now. And combat. And other things. For variety.

Don't forget your semi-colons! (this page has been better about this than other pages).

Is it ALL line puzzles like I've heard? I'm used to games that come out of all directions and disciplines for puzzles now. And combat. And other things. For variety.

So far, it's been all line puzzles. But the game is just so creative that I feel simply saying "line puzzles" sells it extremely short.

The last few puzzles sets I completed used the world in such fun, unique and creative ways that I'm just kind of mind blown right now.

I was walking away from a puzzle I thought I couldn't solve and stumbled into a solution as I walked away... in a line puzzle game. Just thinking about that, it was such a great, unexpected and unique moment.

Game is absolutely antastic. I don't even like pure puzzle gamss that much to be honest and I'm loving it.

Saying "they're all line puzzles" feels reductive to me. Yes they're all essentially puzzles taking place with lines on a grid. But the ideas behind each one are really quite different in terms of solution and framing. Puzzles in the Greenhouse which are different from puzzles in the Desert which are different from puzzles in the Swamp and so on.

Plus there are all kinds of neat
environmental
puzzles as well.

1.Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A great conclusion for Nathan Drake by Naughty Dog.
2. Stardew Valley ; The next generation Harvest Moon I been waiting for and on consoles.
3. The Last Guardian ; only played like an hour of it from brother's copy but I surprisingly enjoyed it. Seems like a special game that deserves votes, I plan to borrow my brothers's copy once he is done with it.

Sorry I didn't play much games from this year I was to busy catching up with my backlog of games and anime.

I just hope the overrated Overwatch doesn't win.

Sayad

1. Overwatch ; The first multiplayer shooter that managed to grab my attention since the early 2000s, I love it as much as I hate it, and that's quite a lot, so when things are working out, it's the game that I had the most fun with this year.

2. Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator ; Would probably be higher if it introduced more changes of Vanilla Xrd.

3. Street Fighter V ; This game probably wouldn't be here if my friends didn't pick it up, but they did and local sessions have been a blast. It's both fun to play and fun to hate, you can't say that about a lot of games.

4. Dark Souls 3 ; Love the bosses and level design, but every play through being almost the same meant not going back to this game after the first finish, haven't even felt like playing the DLC.

5. Final Fantasy XV ; I enjoyed this piece of shit, I wasn't supposed to but I did. They did manage to make me hate myself for playing it at one point, but meh, early and post game stuff were fun.

6. Uncharted 4 ; Uncharted by the numbers, not a bad thing and I wasn't really expecting more.

Samikaze

1. DOOM; Many games lately have been cashing in the "retro" feel, but this one did it right.
2. Overwatch; Sure it's not perfect, but it's more balanced than anything I've seen in awhile. A game where anyone of any skill can play and feel competent together.
3. Battelfield 1; While it still felt like a typical BF game, it's somber approach to the single player and historical details in it's multiplayer made it feel like a more mature game.
4. Uncharted 4; A fitting and well written ending for Drake. While the story wasn't as epic as we're used to, it was much more intimate and personal. The multiplayer this time around was also really well executed.
5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided; Much like Uncharted 4, it felt like more of the same, but less epic and more intimate. While some of the allegories felt forced and fell flat, the gameplay depth and world building here was still fantastic.
6. Dishonored 2:; Again, it felt like more of the previous game, however it stood out in fantastic level design and real freedom to accomplish your goals.
7. Hitman:; A fantastic return to formula. I came in expecting an all too familiar game, instead I found it to be the most refined Hitman game to date. Hours later and I'm still finding new ways to take down my targets.
8. Tom Clancy's The Division; After a rocky start and first patch, the game has really come into it's own with recent overhaul patches and is now one of my most played games of all time.
9. Titanfall 2; Came into this game expecting a CoD-style simple campaign and quick, but simple multiplayer. I found anything but. Sure the story wasn't ground breaking, but the varied levels, fun dialogue options made for a great FPS campaign. While the MP was different than most other shooters, it was familiar enough to grasp quickly.
10. Final Fantasy XV; I wasn't really much of a fan of the game. I disliked the combat, characters, and many game mechanics. The music, world, and it's creatures were all fantastic, and the final product felt more polished and complete than most games released this year.

Honorable Mentions
x. BioShock: The Collection; A remake done right. new graphics, commentary, a museum full of cut content, and all the DLC for all the games.
x. Witcher 3: Blood & Wine; The amazing finale to my favorite game this generation. I still feel this surpassed nearly everything else on this list. The only reason I won't put it in my 10 is because I won't think a DLC, as great as it is, should be counted among the games released this year.

1. Dark Souls III ; Another fantastic game by Fromsoftware. I really enjoyed the co-op in helping others defeat bosses and invaders. Invading others was not as fun as I usually got ganged up on and killed quickly. I felt very proud of myself when I beat bosses on my own, although it usually took me several attempts. I was addicted to this game for months.
2. XCOM 2
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
4. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
5. BoxBoxBoy!
6. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
7. Picross 3D: Round 2
8. Severed
9. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
10. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Hasney

1. DOOM: Many games lately have been cashing in the "retro" feel, but this one did it right.
2. Overwatch: Sure it's not perfect, but it's more balanced than anything I've seen in awhile. A game where anyone of any skill can play and feel competent together.
3. Battelfield 1: While it still felt like a typical BF game, it's somber approach to the single player and historical details in it's multiplayer made it feel like a more mature game.
4. Uncharted 4: A fitting and well written ending for Drake. While the story wasn't as epic as we're used to, it was much more intimate and personal. The multiplayer this time around was also really well executed.
5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Much like Uncharted 4, it felt like more of the same, but less epic and more intimate. While some of the allegories felt forced and fell flat, the gameplay depth and world building here was still fantastic.
6. Dishonored 2:: Again, it felt like more of the previous game, however it stood out in fantastic level design and real freedom to accomplish your goals.
7. Hitman: : A fantastic return to formula. I came in expecting an all too familiar game, instead I found it to be the most refined Hitman game to date. Hours later and I'm still finding new ways to take down my targets.
8. Tom Clancy's The Division: After a rocky start and first patch, the game has really come into it's own with recent overhaul patches and is now one of my most played games of all time.
9. Titanfall 2: Came into this game expecting a CoD-style simple campaign and quick, but simple multiplayer. I found anything but. Sure the story wasn't ground breaking, but the varied levels, fun dialogue options made for a great FPS campaign. While the MP was different than most other shooters, it was familiar enough to grasp quickly.
10. Final Fantasy XV: I wasn't really much of a fan of the game. I disliked the combat, characters, and many game mechanics. The music, world, and it's creatures were all fantastic, and the final product felt more polished and complete than most games released this year.

Honorable Mentions
x. BioShock: The Collection: A remake done right. new graphics, commentary, a museum full of cut content, and all the DLC for all the games.
x. Witcher 3: Blood & Wine: The amazing finale to my favorite game this generation. I still feel this surpassed nearly everything else on this list. The only reason I won't put it in my 10 is because I won't think a DLC, as great as it is, should be counted among the games released this year.
Need to change the colons to semicolons for it to count.

2016 was an intimidating year. The historical iceberg of the Trump election, the surging social and political power of the American right, plus little meaningful movement on climate change from any of the major powers. Parallel to these shitty developments, we saw America support a proxy war on Syria that has devastated the country. While games may have had a great year, humanity certainly did not. I'm starting off with this because it's New Years today, and I'm seeing a lot of people talk about wanting to forget 2016 on social media, but for me it's important to remember what happened. And I would hate myself from the future if I didn't mention anything at all, even if this is just a simple top ten list...

In any regards, 2016 in gaming. It was indeed an incredible year, for me an "evolution" year more than anything. I feel like we saw a growth in story-telling around some of the best games (Persona 5, The Last Guardian, Inside [although I haven't played it yet]) towards maturity and literacy, and smart progressions in game mechanics as well. Titles like Titanfall 2 proved how adding verticality to the tired FPS formula can reinvigorate it. Likewise with Doom, where id's addition of an aggressive attack-to-survive game balance seems to have really captured people (another one I haven't played yet though...) We're finally seeing the potential of this generation come to bear, and parallel to that, a welcome return of Japanese devs to the fore after a slow start.

The PS4 had a landmark year and for me evolved into what the XboxOne was aiming for: an all-in-one "lifestyle box", with a smooth non-intrusive UI, quick boot-up and entertainment features like Youtube, Netflix and Twitch etc. that kept me engaged. I use my PS4 now probably more than I used my Xbox360 in its heyday; it's got everything I need.

I should note by the way that every year when this voting comes around, I am typically the only person who votes for an arcade game, and as a result the sole reason that Cheesemeister has to make arcade game category. Not this year though... The arcade release slate was very slight, with perhaps Kancore being the biggest game to go into operation, and nothing updated or newly released was anywhere near as compelling as what we saw on consoles this year. The absence of a Street Fighter V arcade port this year was also more or less a turning point, itself a (likely very reasonable business) decision by Capcom which pointed to the poor profitability of even fighting games in the arcades nowadays, not a good portent by any means for those of us who still care about this format.

Despite the rather grim arcade situation, I did actually spent a lot of time in them this year, playing my own favorite fighting game (UNI) with friends and randos. These were actually some of the best gaming experiences of the year for me, even if it wasn't something "new" per se.

Enough of the pre-roll, time to remember the best of a great year...

WmrioSe.jpg

1. Titanfall 2 (Respawn, PS4)

Play Time: Clear, 30 hours, Platinumed

Superplay reference videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPns9Efq3wI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5vl5UUPtqU

Since the announcement for PS4, I was interested in Titanfall 2, but the release apocalypse at the end of the year took it off my radar. Too broke, too little time. That was until EA started their PSN Store sale on the game dropped it to 40 bucks. Alright, I'm in. And it didn't take long until I was hooked. My first time with the grapple class went smoother than I expected, I was in the air and blasting in no time. I quickly transitioned to the high ground battle: using the R201 from rooftops on the map to mow down slow-moving opponents. I stuck to the standard Angel City map and learned how to move.

Multiplayer is why Titanfall 2 is at the top of my list. One of the advantages of the download version is that I can just boot this baby whenever I want to, and given how easy Respawn has made it to jump into a match, I'm literally playing in less than 2 minutes after booting my PS4. Given how addictive and incredibly well-balanced the game is, the lure of jumping in any time I'm near my PS4 is an ever-present temptation.

Back in-game, my strategic evolution continued. After seeing how effective cloaked players could be in Amped Hardpoint, I made the transition to Cloak and adapted my strategy accordingly. I could turn invisible and backstab unwitting opponents, pop a few runners and then accumulate enough energy to drop into Cloak yet again. The virtuous cycle of aiming to almost always be invisible was addicting. I also shifted Titans. From Ion, the standard big-gun/big-defense default titan to Northstar, the lanky sniper who could pick off Titans from far off on the map. Recently I've moved onto Ronin, the close-quarters sword-wielding Titan who teleports in and frenzies for aggressive kills in close combat. For Multiplayer, Cloak/Ronin is where I've settled, with some ventures into Phase Shift (which allows you to pop in and out of the game field to escape certain death situations).

A lot of people have been praising the single player for this game, and that's fair it's an excellent campaign with some incredibly theatrical moments. But personally I found the story to be uninteresting and cheesy; it was the game balance and wow factor set pieces that got me engaged and kept me on the edge of my seat until the end. Really though, multiplayer is what sells the game and will definitely keep me playing deep into 2017.

TLDR: Multiplayer is ridic, I will stab you while invisible.

cz2T9tO.jpg

2. Assault Android Cactus (Witch Beam, PS4)

Play Time: Clear, trophies 40%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_gQcXPy98

I was hyped for this game since it was announced; a top-down twin-stick shooter with bullet hell patterns and manic action set in a cartoony universe, from a dev team I hadn't heard of. That much I could get from the trailer. I picked it up on release but had it sitting in my unplayed folder for months due to prioritizing other games. I figured it would be some fun, quick gameplay, possibly a little throw-away given that there were a fair share of games this year that looked good but didn't really deliver when you got to the meat of the game. I was dead wrong. The game is by all means straightforward: hold R2 to shoot, hit L2 for your secondary weapon, move and shoot with LS and RS respectively. Beyond that though is the complexity of the stages, and the unexpectedly exquisite difficulty tuning. The game starts off easy enough, and maintains a steady curve up to about the 3/4 mark, making it very approachable even for people who don't play a lot of shooters. In the last set of stages though, things get crazy. Some might call it a difficulty spike, but for me this was when the game really took off. What were previously quite simply navigated and mowed down enemy waves come even faster and more fervent. You're shooting, dodging and missiling anything that comes on-screen amid huge waves of enemies, and the action gets absolutely white-knuckle in 60 FPS.

What is evident over this slow difficulty curve is the wisdom with which Witch Beam built their game; their battle system is the centerpiece around which they set enemy placements, attack patterns and boss phases. Because the core gameplay is so tight, and Witch Beam was wise enough not add any unnecessary crap on top of it, the rest of the game is evidently the fruit of polishing what was already there. The last two stages of the game are brilliantly designed, and take you to the edge of your seat in neck-and-neck danmaku combat. In fact, the last stage is so challenging that I figured most players would give up here, but the PS4 trophies show 20% of people clearing it, so I guess not...

Incidentally, you can see me take it on here:

https://t.co/x8FTuXOPei

(By the way, I love the tribute to Ibara in the boss' fourth form!)

Beyond the game balance, I really liked the characters in Assault Android Cactus. They don't talk much, and there isn't much of a story to speak of, but when they do, the writing/VO is great and the character models are really expressive.

If there's one thing I didn't like about this release, it's that the devs were maybe a bit overconfident in their game balance, and dropped in a trophy for getting S+ rankings on all stages. This is more or less possible up until the aforementioned last two stages, at which point it becomes 2nd loop of Dodonpachi Daioujou territory. A bit of a shame that such refined balance doesn't go the whole 9 yards with a platinum trophy accessible to players of intermediate skill, and this is the only blemish on an otherwise amazing inaugural release.

Cheers to Witch Beam for their great work. I am psyched as hell to see what they do next.

XAyvSIv.png

3. Gunvolt 2 (Inticreates, 3DS)

Play Time: True Ending Clear, 60 hours, all S ranks, 5 Quests Left Uncleared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gROZNRf0gMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fETB7U3xPRM

I downloaded Gunvolt 1 on a whim before a long plane trip last year, and played it until probably about two stages before the last boss. People have mentioned the difficulty spike towards the end of the original game, and that was exactly what caused me to put it down. Not only were the bosses suddenly confusingly hard, the "kudos" system, which lets you build up multipliers by chaining enemies, had very strict rules to it: die once and your counter/multiplier got reset = not much fun scoring. So the fun factor was basically lost on me because by the time I started to "get" the outlines of the score system, the game had climbed in difficulty so much that I didn't notice how cool it was.

Gunvolt 2 changed basically everything that was bad about the first one. First, the kudos system now allows you to get hit three times before your combo cuts out, which means that it's much easier to chain enemies, in turn making the scoring all of a sudden incredibly engaging. Lock two enemies with your shot then electrocute them with your electric field for a "double". Hit three for a ”triple". Kill bosses with skills and earn big point bonuses. Then gamble with your life by avoiding the mid-way save points to keep your multiplier climbing. The risk-reward is much more apparent, much more addicting.

The new character, Copen, is the other major highlight in this game. Whereas Gunvolt functions at screen length by sniping enemies and then electrocuting them with a lock-on, Copen is the opposite. His combat and scoring are all based on hovering in mid-air, zooming in with a body blow and "tagging" enemies, then destroying them via lock-on. As a result, his attack patterns transform the gameplay into something that is once aggressive but also graceful and acrobatic. You zoom through the level, jumping from enemy to enemy, slowly building up bigger point bonuses, all the while trying to avoid touching the ground to keep your combo going. Copen to me is probably the best addition to the "Megaman" lineage since Zero. His precision-based flying mechanic is incredibly satisfying once you figure out what you're doing.

Gunvolt 2 gets my number 3 thanks to the overall improvements it makes to the formula of the first one (most importantly scoring), and also the thrilling addition of new character Copen. Beyond these two major points, the difficulty is incredibly well-balanced. Challenging, and sometimes a little frustrating, but ultimately something you want to keep drilling at until you've done every challenge the game presents you with.

Cs8L3Aw.jpg

4. Alienation (Housemarque, PS4)

Play Time: Clear, 10 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uz0CskJ2cY

Who would have thought that twin-stick shooters would wind up having a banner year in 2016? But here we are, right? Much like Assault Android Cactus, Alienation finds you mowing down waves of enemies using a variety of weapons in local and online co-op, or in solo play. Also much like AAC, and to no fault of these games only my own hectic schedule, I bought and forgot about this release, right up until years' end when I binge-played it for a single day.

The greatest thing about this game, like many of my other picks this year, is its pick-up and play aspect. Minimal loading, quick response, you're into an online co-op room in minutes basically. And once you are, there's some thrilling blasting to be had. The core game has 20 stages, with different Worlds beyond that which basically up the difficulty and give you more experience/rarer loot drops the further you can get. As a result, the first loop of the game, while a fine challenge, is really only the gateway until the rest of the game. It's basically a twin-stick shooter MMO, something you never asked for but now obviously needed to exist.

Overall it's the endless replayability and drop-in/drop-out co-op experience of Alienation that puts it high on my GOTY list this year. Occasionally the balance can be a little frustrating, especially when you warp into a game too high above your current level, but that is mostly to be expected given the long level progression curve. You also keep XP and loot for any matches you join even if you wind up losing, which softens the blow when you can't cut it. The result is a consistent motivation to play, and a brilliant update to the formula that Smash TV once laid claim too. I will add that the game's trophies are pretty easily unlockable, so it seems to be a fun coast to the platinum. Always a plus in a year full of tough games!

itkZu1r.jpg

5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone (SEGA AM2, PS4)

Play Time: Clear, 20 hours, Trophies 100%, around 100 songs cleared on Hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73lJRo9SDPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZBouq24qfE

I was a big fan of the arcade version of this game, and would almost always drop a 100 yen in whenever I was in my local game center. I knew that whenever the PS4 version dropped, it was going to be epic and I was not disappointed. 220 songs, beautiful graphics re-built in AM2's rendering engine, full customization: hair, accessories, costumes (modules) etc. Above all though, the clincher is the perfect artisan-level polished game balanced that existed in the arcade version brought over as-is to the PS4 version, with target charts only slightly altered to adapt to the DualShock, that make this pretty easily one of the best music games of all time. On top of that you have snappy, no-load menus that get you in and out seconds after booting up, making it a perfect "go-to" game that you can access anytime when you're between projects.

Given the volume of tracks and stuffs to unlock, the quality of the music and graphics, plus AM2's precision game balance, this game really would have been my GOTY except for one problem: the DualShock 4. The DS4 unfortunately has a very stiff D-pad, which often fails me during long target chains, leading me to losing combos on some of the faster songs in Future Tone. I am hoping that at some point there will be an incredible music game controller released for the PS4, or maybe something specifically for this game. When that happens, Future Tone will most likely very quickly be acknowledged as one of the best music games of all time, and a high point that other games will have to somehow measure up to. Until we've got easy access to that controller however, it's just a hair short of greatness in my opinion.

XHnBCzD.jpg

6. Persona 5 (ATLUS P Studio, PS4)

Play Time: Not cleared, 65 hours

I don't want to say much on this one because a lot of folks are going to be waiting for the localization. I will just say that up until this game, I was no fan of the Persona series, due largely to straightforwardly disliking Persona 3, after which I resolved that I didn't need to bother with this corner of the JRPG universe. Persona 5 changed that. The richness of the characters, the cut-scenes, the brilliantly-crafted story, the social experience of the big city, and the sheer amount of stuff you can do in Tokyo all make it a thorough and enthralling journey: an early classic in the PS4's library.

I had to bookmark this one about 65 hours in, just because I had other games to play and I still had quite a bit to go in the main story. That said, they just put out some Christmas costume DLC, so that will probably be enough to revisit Ann-sama at some point and eventually clear it.

C4oswIQ.jpg

7. 7th Dragon III (SEGA, 3DS)

Play Time: 45 hours, Full Clear, Last DLC Not Cleared

Reference video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WagCQR2J7y0

Much like Gunvolt, 7th Dragon III was definitely one of my surprises this year. I had no idea I'd be spending tens of hours on my 3DS, let alone with a JRPG (!), but I picked it up after seeing how much people liked it in the OT, and the game really started to pull me in with a smartly balanced battle system and well-structured campaign. From a technical standpoint, 7th Dragon III is no marvel. Simple models, simple cut-scenes, simple stages. Hell, the dragon enemies that appear on maps are probably 12-polygon purple shapes. It is a 3DS JRPG through and through. And yeah, outside of the lesbian dating features, the story didn't do too much for me either ::cough::.

This game's exquisite flavor only starts to make itself apparent when you, ahem, start chewing. I.e. it's only when you sit down and start toying around with the different characters and classes you can recruit that you start to understand the game's honed balance. Every dungeon is a solid challenge, and some will really make you go back to the drawing board to formulate new combinations of characters/classes for taking out certain types of enemies. You can by all means level up and get yourself ahead of the curve, but that advantage doesn't last very long. Boss battles tend to be genuine challenges, and you have to bring to bear all of the little tricks you've picked up along the way in normal encounters to overcome them.

A jazzy electro soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro is the cherry that tops 7th Dragon III off, making all the dungeon exploration and dragon hunting that more pleasureful. Strategic combat, waifu dating and dungeon diving, all set to a post-Detroit electronic soundtrack made 7th Dragon III one of 2016's hidden gems for me.

QlOKSOv.jpg

8. The Last Guardian (SCE Japan Studio, PS4)

Play Time: 30 hours, Clear, Trophies 20%

I was no fan of Shadow of the Colossus, in fact I got about 5 hours in, found the controls frustrating, swapped it out and never looked back. I am not part of the church of Fumito Ueda, and the only reason I bought it in the first place was because I digitally reserved it in a drunken fever one summer night and promptly forgot to cancel it afterwards. I woke up on release day, booted my PS4 to play some Persona 5 and the download was already finished. Well in that case...

Boy am I glad for that drunken pre-order, because without it, I would not have experienced what is unarguably a Game of Gen. High-flying/heart-stopping traversals at incredible heights all within a fascinating and ruined world, animated by the bond between two friends who are their own sole allies. There are moments of true uncertainty: am I really going to be able to get out of this? Is Trico? And sometimes you'll die, flying off the top of a giant tower, 80 stories into the floor a giant valley. As someone afraid of heights, these ruins were a challenge for me. But the implicit trust that the player builds with Trico kept me going. That grateful moment when he pulls you out of a fall to your death, or when you drop a drawbridge to save him from the abyss. These memories make it that much more moving when you are separated from Trico and see him fade away into the distance in certain scenes. The unease when a dear friend departs.

The control issues are why this is at number 6, but beyond them, Ueda and genDESIGN have created an interactive experience that is tremendously moving. The trust that you create with Trico, and the cooperation that forms the base of it, is paradoxically one of the most human experiences I've had with any media in recent years (maybe the film "Your Name" (Kimi no Na) came closest). It makes the case that video games are not the auto-isolating art form of social shut-ins, but instead can be a space for etching out new human experiences, and immersing us in social cooperation. The game is punctuated with uneasiness and precariousness; bridges that collapse as Trico jumps on them, towers that collapse as they are climbed, wings that do not work. Like Kimi no Na, it presents us with two subjects that re-define themselves by circling and bonding with each other, that break out of their isolated existences to become something more. Toriko means "prisoner" in Japanese, and this struggle to escape captivity, even as the world collapses around you, could perhaps on the one hand be an allegory for game development, the hubris-lead attempt to create an entire world on top of a constantly-updating unstable base, or perhaps with a larger lens, the defining motif of our generation: a world that is collapsing around us, that keeps slipping out of our hands.

It is Ueda's skill as a director that enables him to harness the geist of precarious life, express it through gameplay, and in turn forge an emotional connection between the player and Trico, who becomes something more than a collection of AI states or a memorable game character alone. He is the clumsy means for liberation from any predicament, the everything we laugh at in ourselves as we struggle against our personal constraints; a well-meaning destructive power. We are the little boy solving puzzles and making plans, ordering him around, giggling and gasping as his forward movement destroys everything around us. And yet we can't stand to see him hurt, because we know he did everything he could.

It is this felt experience of precarity and its overcoming that made The Last Guardian for me the most human, and thus necessarily most revolutionary game I have ever played. It came out of the box. Other games do not do that.

fnCG8s8.jpg

9. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (ATLUS, PS4)

Play Time: 40 hours, 3/4 finished? on Expert, Platinumed

Superplay reference videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTtuRMI7ESs

I had always wanted to play Odin Sphere, but the fact that it came towards the end of the PS2 era resulted in it being lost in the cracks of time for me. The remastered version on the other hand came at an opportune moment: I had cleared out my backlog from 2015. I needed something new, something to sink some time into and smack some buttons to, and Odin Sphere fit that bill.

The demo drew me in with its vivid colors and kinetic action, and what I got definitely exceeded my expectations. Gorgeous painted graphics, speedy and aggressive 2D combo-based side-scrolling, a story that gets deeper with ever clear with every character, balanced gameplay and engaging unlock-based progression. This was a perfect February game, something to hole up with while it was still cold and dig further and further in.

A pure pleasure to play, and arguably a minor classic of the PS4 era.

bFYQN3W.jpg

10. Battle Garegga 2016 (M2 Shot Triggers, PS4)

Play Time: 1 hour, Just Started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uacJfa-JYKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEiMhulu4ZY
(Super detailed Garegga commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz1kXyXOz_4)

Here's another game that I pre-ordered in a fit of excitement at the announcement and then regretted a few weeks later. Reason being is that I've always been a CAVE/Grev guy, I didn't play Raizing shooters; I preferred multipliers to medal collection, and fat, slow bullet clouds to fast and aggressive needle storms. I was also never a big of "rank" systems that reward you for dying to keep the game's internal difficulty in check. I'd had about ten friends all at different times try to get me into Battle Garegga, but the combination of the older graphics, quirky scoring system and bullets that blended with the backgrounds put me off it. Garegga was that one game in the hardcore shooter repertoire that I felt I could safely leave unplayed.

So anyways, I had ordered an LE, but it was sitting in some mail center in southern Tokyo for two weeks before I bothered to pick it up. I felt like I was buying it more out of duty than anything. That indifferent attitude changed quickly once I opened the package and got the game running. First, there's just that booming Namiki Manabu audio that hits you when this mutha boots up. Anybody that's played Mushihimesama Futari for Xbox360 will know what I'm talking about, but M2 really has a knack for programming loud audio. That beautiful impact carries you straight into the game which itself looks brand new on the PS4, in fact brighter and more colorful than the PCB.

It might be odd to bring up the contents of the LE in what should be a game review, but in Battle Garegga's case, it's indicative of the impassioned commitment of M2 to this game's legacy. Take the "20th Memorial Book: Bluescapes", a booklet documenting both the creation of Battle Garegga, and its soundtrack. Wasn't sure I'd enjoy this, but after reading a bit I was immediately drawn in by Manabu Namiki's reflections on Detroit Techno of the early 1990s and his break down of which albums of that era formed the thematic basis for Battle Garegga. Not only musically, but also story-wise. Namiki describes how the music of Detroit techno, and in turn the historical background of blacks in Detroit informed both the game's music and its narrative: "The weapons they had built themselves were now used by the Empire, and it was up to the engineers who had built them to put a stop to it." It's little insights like this that bring the game into focus amid the era it was created in, and make this booklet a must-read for shooter fans. Surely this one will keep Shmuplations.com busy for years to come.

Another great thing about this release is that M2 always gets the achievements/trophies right. In this case, they've programmed trophies for each and every little scoring trick that was hidden in Battle Garegga, like bombing the flamingos on Stage 2, destroying all the parts of certain bosses, or suiciding at strategic points. This has always been the point of achievements, right? Educate players on how to play the game, and give them a deeper understanding of its system by rewarding them. It's a shame how many companies still can't get that right even today.

I've only had this game for a few days now and I want to spend more time with it, but for now it's very impressive. I wasn't expecting much, but the powerful presentation and the amazing LE have convinced me to finally give Garegga a try. It's like your 50-year old uncle inviting you over to his house for a party and you go over expecting Scrabble with a barbecue, but when you get there everybody's spinning breakcore records and shooting AK-47s in the air. Above all, Battle Garegga 2016 proves that old games can still go hard af.

x. Blue Revolver (Stellar Circle, Steam)

Blue Revolver got its official release on Steam this year, following on multiple demos last year. I did vote for this last year, and there were just too many good games for my GOTY list, so I've brought it into the honorable mentions.

x. Thumper (Drool, PS4)

This Rhythm Violence powerhouse didn't quite have enough gameplay variation to make my top 10 list, but I did have a lot of fun with it. Streaming high-speed intensity carrying from track-start to end with nightmarish tunes in the background bending reality around your metallic beetle. At its best, Thumper is pure stream of consciousness at 240 mph, carrying you into new dimensions of speed and reaction. Definitely a memorable release.

x. Puyo Puyo Chronicle (SEGA, 3DS)

Puyo Puyo Chronicle is your classic Puyo Puyo puzzling, except this time it's a JRPG. Encounter enemies, puyo battle with them and hit some puyo chains to knock them out; rinse and repeat to raise your level, learn new spells and beautify your town. Overall this game wasn't bad, but I had to bump it off my GOTY list due to too many other great titles coming out. It also had its fair share of problems, including boring maps and a lack of gameplay variation (in RPG mode, you can only play classic Puyo Puyo, no Fever, Sun, Tsu etc...) These bad points are thankfully buffered by a fun unlock system, competent online stuffs, cute monster animations and the fact that you can save anywhere, making it a good on the go puzzler.

x. Under-night In-birth (Francepan, Steam)

The Steam version of my 2015 and retroactive 2014 GOTY, Under Night In-birth. The most balanced 2D fighter out there, ported as-is to PC, nuff said. Hoping we see a new version of this game on PS4 sometime in early 2017.

List for the parser:

1. Titanfall 2 ; (Respawn, PS4)
Placeholder comment for parser
2. Assault Android Cactus ; (Witch Beam, PS4)
3. Gunvolt 2 ; (Inticreates, 3DS)
4. Alienation ; (Housemarque, PS4)
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone ; (SEGA AM2, PS4)
6. Persona 5 ; (ATLUS P Studio, PS4)
7. 7th Dragon III ; (SEGA, 3DS)
8. The Last Guardian ; (SCE Japan Studio, PS4)
9. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir ; (ATLUS, PS4)
10. Battle Garegga 2016 ; (M2 Shot Triggers, PS4)

x. Blue Revolver ; (Stellar Circle, Steam)
x. Thumper ; (Drool, PS4)
x. Puyo Puyo Chronicle ; (SEGA, 3DS)
x. Under-night In-birth ; (Francepan, Steam)

rakhir

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; Great expansion for my favourite game ever
2. World of Warcraft: Legion ; WoW in the best shape that it ever was, New people behind it made the best changes yet
3. Tyranny ; Obsidian cannot do wrong
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; it's beautiful and exciting
5. XCOM 2 ; too easy, but lots of nice improvememts
6. Doom ; definately not terrible
7. Overwatch ; Team Fortress 3
8. Stellaris ; one more turn of the year
9. The Banner Saga 2 ; I'm a sucker for the art
10. Superhot ; great sound and art design

honorable mentions:
x. Devil Daggers
x. Hitman
x. Inside

1. Uncharted 4 ; Great adventure game full with exciting moments and really fun gunplay too. The grappling hook was such a great addition. Without spoilers, really beautiful story too.

2. Doom ; One of the GOATs FPSs campaigns. At least top 3 for me. Really loved every minute of it. Excellent OST too.

3. Titanfall 2 ; Another great FPS campaign. Too bad for them Doom came out this year too, I think it's better, but they are both pinnacles of the FPS genre in my opinion.

4. The Last Guardian ; Such a beautiful moving game. Loved Trico and the way the bond with him grows through gameplay. Really fun platforming too.

5. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir ; Loved this game on PS2 and the remake is even better with the gameplay tweaks and the 1080p/60fps presentation.

6. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; Toissant is a beautiful huge new area to play. This is DLC done right. The writing and story was good but not as good as Hearts of Stone.

7. Shadow Warrior 2 ; A really great Diablo-esque FPS.

8. Dark Souls III ; Very good Souls game and a step up from 2, but Bloodborne was such a masterpiece and better that I think it ruined this game for me a bit.

9. Final Fantasy XV ; I was very worried about it, but the game turned out fine in the end. Still could have been and should have been better but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

10. Ratchet and Clank ; One of the best games in the series. Incredible graphics.

SamNW

1. Inside ; a technical masterpiece with a bold and beautiful artistic vision. One of my favorite games of the past five years and an example of interactive art at its best. A strident rejection of the demand that art must "say" something in the traditional narrative sense, Inside seduces and captivates with tone, setting, and a flawless realization of an ambitious visual language.

2. The Witness ; a brilliant and uncompromising accomplishment of game design. I have criticisms that I could level against it, but the fact that I'm able to look past them and put this game at #2 speaks volumes about my experience with it. It is, simply put, the new benchmark for puzzle games.

3. Firewatch ; a gorgeous and bleak narrative experience. Firewatch teaches us something about ourselves while inviting us to witness firsthand the lives of flawed and desperate people. The game could use an extra coat of polish, but the narrative and visual design are exquisite.

4. Abzû ; a uniquely serene and lovely tour of aquatic life. As a story, it's compelling, if flawed. As an audiovisual exploration of a world beneath our feet, it hits every mark that it attempts to. And it would be enough if it were that alone, but the developers go the extra mile to create locomotion that feels perfect and a sense of discovery rivaled by only a small handful of video games.

5. Hitman ; a deft and clever revitalization of a sleeping giant. IO brought thoughtful design and a genuinely surprising sense of humor to a series that desperately needed both. It's hard to overstate how much care went into making Hitman the incredible package that it is. Passion and playfulness ooze from this game.

6. Asemblance ; a smart and haunting exploration of memory and perception. It's a terse experience, but one that evokes a keen emotional response. It stays in your head.

7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; a sharp and admirable finale for an inconsistent series. With The Last of Us, Druckmann and Straley created an accomplishment that they may never match. With Uncharted 4, they made me forget, if only temporarily, the deep flaws of Uncharted 1, 2, and 3. In a universe of narrative weakness, they told a compelling and deeply human story. What can't they do? On top of that, the game is a truly astounding technical powerhouse.

I'll stop here, though there are other games that I'd like to shout out, including some that might even place higher than a few others on my list. Nonetheless, I'll stand by these seven.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I started making my list and then realized that I haven't even bought 10 games from 2016!!! I have bought a lot of older games though, but only 4 actual 2016 games. Here is my list ranked in order, short as it may be:

1. American Truck Simulator ; Just as fun, relaxing, yet engaging as ETS2 but in a world map I much prefer: SW USA. I'll easily be playing this for many years to come. My GOTY 2016.

2. Civilization VI ; While I do believe that this is the best vanilla and best launch version of Civ ever released, I will admit that it does still need a few patches to make truly great, especially for the AI. That alone keeps it from being my #1.

3. Superhot ; What an unexpected gem of a game! It's super fun to go back to now and then for short bursts and just have a ball playing. It's a great little game with an awesome concept and execution.

4. Starbound ; It's Terraria in space with an out of this world incredible soundtrack. I love the space setting and exploring new planets while meandering around the procedural galaxy. Very good game.

What can I say, 2016 has been a very light year for me purchase wise.

GrayDock

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; An amazing "end" to an amazing series. We`ll miss you guys.
2. Dark Souls III ; Not the best Soul`s game, but still better than most games of the year.
3. Final Fantasy XV ; Not perfect, but a good road trip, considering it`s background.
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; It may be the new 3D-metroidvania standard.
5. XCOM 2 ; Awesome and hard as a XCOM game should be, "Ruler Reaction" aside...
6. Street Fighter V ; Still incomplete, but it does plays good.
7. Shadow Complex Remastered ; One of the best metroidvanias around, period.
8. Titanfall 2 ; An FPS with both SP and MP good?! Call me crazy!
9. EVE: Valkyrie ; It justifies owning a PSVR.
10. Life Is Strange ; Simple design with a good story and well done game mechanics.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; Expansion or not, I have to say this is my favorite game of 2016, due to the fact that it adds 50 more hours to my 2015 GOTY. The theme is changed enough, and they added enough changes with the gameplay, that The Witcher to me, continues to be a fresh experience, hundreds of hours later.

2. XCOM 2 ; They have a good thing going with the turn based combat in this game. The fact that there are so few games that scratch this itch makes it all the more special. Overall, I think I enjoyed XCOM: EW more, and there are a number of changes in XCOM 2 that I don't like, and make me worry for what to expect out of XCOM 3, but I love the continued struggle of the human race versus the alien threat, and the core gameplay keeps me coming back mission after mission.

3. DOOM ; Holy shit. Few games have ever given me the rush that I felt while playing DOOM. The mobility, and the sense of power was something amazing to behold, and every weapon felt good to use. I would have played this game much more if it wasn't so prone to crash in my experience.

4. Dark Souls 3 ; DS3 to me is more of a good thing, but it didn't do enough to elevate it above FromSoftware's other offerings. There is no doubt this is a great game, but there are enough things I dislike about it to keep playing (like I did with DS1 and BB), and it features some of the more boring/low quality areas in the series. I can explore Blighttown and have a good time doing it, but the swamp in this game makes me just want to put the game down. The changes to magic and poise also disappoint me, but I don't want to focus on the negatives. Great game for a single playthrough.

I'll stop there, as I either haven't had a change to play some games I'm interested in (like Tyranny), didn't play others enough (Grim Dawn), or I've heard so many bad things about performance that I'm waiting for patches and/or a price drop (Deux Ex:MD, Dishonored 2). There were some very good offerings this year, but I have to say overall that the big releases I was looking forward to disappointed in their execution.

Saying "they're all line puzzles" feels reductive to me. Yes they're all essentially puzzles taking place with lines on a grid. But the ideas behind each one are really quite different in terms of solution and framing. Puzzles in the Greenhouse which are different from puzzles in the Desert which are different from puzzles in the Swamp and so on.

Plus there are all kinds of neat
environmental
puzzles as well.

That's what they said though, which gave me pause. I've gotten generic praise feedback but nothing that specifically addressed this issue, thanks.

Thud

1. Xanadu Next ; One of the finest gaming experiences Falcom made. It's an addicting dungeon crawler that went well beyond all my expectations. This game has been the most fun I had in 2016.

2. Titanfall 2 ; Respawn shows their worth by tackling the various mechanics in their singleplayer campaign.

3. Pokémon Sun ; Gamefreak improves the main formula of the esteemed Pokémon franchise and making it a must play for all 3DS owners.

4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; With this game Atlus proves to be more than capable in making a decent Fire Emblem with a fresh battlesystem and colorful cast, this game will surely leave a fond memory in the Wii U's library.

5. Pocket Card Jockey ; Gamefreak is on a roll with this combination of solitaire and horse power, a wonderful action puzzle game with tons of charm.

6. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth ; While the localisation is dodgy at best, Digimon is back in business bringing along your favorite monsters and an amazing sound.

7. Pokkén Tournament ; Bandai Namco's Harada and The Pokémon Company team up in fighter and proving how Pokémon Stadium could have been, there's a lot of potential for a new subfranchise.

8. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse ; As always Europe is late to the party, but the first few hours are enough to convince me this is turning up to be one hell of a game.

9. Hyper Light Drifter ; One of the most beautiful games I played in 2016, stunning pixelart in a melancholic setting.

10. Paper Mario: Color Splash ; It's not a Paper Mario RPG, but it's still fun.

x. Trails of Cold Steel II ; .I'll be sure to check it out after 3rd.

x. Owlboy ; Congrats on making the release!

Jumpslash

Neo Member
1. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse ; The near perfect follow-up to the already great SMT IV. Improved battles, demon negotiations, story and dungeons, and still a great soundtrack.

2. Steins;Gate 0 ; Surprising how good it actually is. It's the other half of the Steins;Gate story I never knew I wanted.

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice ; Definitely the best entry in the series since the third game and AAI2. No case is actually meh/bad with only one short filler case. Great story and character development for especially Apollo, and a killer soundtrack as well.

4. Fire Emblem: Conqeust ; Best played on hard. Only the story holds it down, but it has amazing maps, great characters and music, and is very challeging.

5. Pokémon Sun/Moon ; Aside from pacing, it's a really great adventure with almost nothing than improvements to the Pokemon formula.

6. Uncharted 4 ; Probably the best in the series. I really liked it.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
1.Uncharted 4 A Thief's End ; What can I say ? Another amazing masterpiece from Naughty Dog, to wrap up Nathan Drake's story. Probably the most visually impressive game ever too. I'm hyped for the new expansion in 2017 starring Chloe and Nadine.

2.The Last Guardian ; Beautiful story about a boy and his beast, we've been waiting many years for this game since I was just 13 years old and it finally came out when I was 20. This is one of those very special games, that we will remember forever. I really hope Sony and Ueda team up fro something else.

hodgy100

1. Overwatch ; The most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer shooter and the only one I've really gotten into in over a decade. I've played it with a great group of friends every evening that I've been available. The gameplay is superb there are so many interactions between friendly players And against the opposing team makes for a game that feels super dynamic and hectic. The art is beautiful and will look great for years to come and the heroes characterisation makes you really buy into them. By far my favourite game of this year, which is surprising considering i wasn't interested at-all till I played the open beta.

2. The Last Guardian ; I'll be honest I've been waiting for this game since it was announced back in 2009 and for me it delivers on its promise. Trico is a living creature that I can truly buy into as an actual being. I feel like I'm talking to my cat when i play this game and its so incredibly charming. This explores something that games often don't and I really appreciate its existence for that. despite its technical and design shortfalls.

3. Doom ; I never really played the original doom back in the day. The only Doom game i played was doom 3 and I didnt finish it because of the gruelling slog it becomes. but this game. THIS GAME. The visceral fast paced action, the way the game is designed to make you use your entire arsenal rather than jsut one or two strong weapons. the pure speed of the gameplay. Its a technical masterpiece the music is godly the music demonic. RIP AND TEAR. RIP! AND! TEAR!

4. Final Fantasy XV ; Again, I've been waiting for this game since its initial announcement as Final Fantasy 13 verses. and while XV isn't that same game and even then its disappointing in areas. for me This game delivers largely what I want from a final fantasy game and it feels like a true evolution of the FF formula set out back in the SNES and PS1 era that was somewhat continued with ff12 as opposed to the increasing linearity of FFX and FF13 (although I do love FFX). When this game is at its best i am in pure Final fantasy bliss.

5. Thumper ; This is a difficult game to expand on out of the games tagline "Rhythm Violence" but its really one of those games that captivate you into the "zone" where you jsut blank out any outside distractions while you hold on to your controller with sweating hands for dear life.

6. Pokemon Sun & Moon ; A massive switch up for the series and largely for the better. Kill those sacred cows game freak KILL THEM! the structure of the game has chaged to make it feel less of a slag and to have better pacing, the game has a story that feels like it has more to do with the games world and the games world actually feels organic now rather than an old 2d tile sheet but in 3d. there are so many quality of life decisions that makes this game easier to play than any last iteration and team skull are truely the best team with their self referential humour. The only problems i have with the game is a lack of stuff to do post game and the handholding getting a bit much in the beginning. By far my favourite Pokemon game since Gold and Silver.

7. Titanfall 2 ; The single player to this game is short and sweet each chapter has a unique gameplay gimmick to it that really does make each part of the game memorable from each other and it further shows that Respawn have a focus on gameplay over everything else that so many studios dont have these days. the multiplayer again while great just dint live up to titanfall 1 for me. it lost the David v Goliath, pilot vs titan moments by making titans too capable against pilots :( still it was a fun romp, but it didn't keep me from Overwatch.

8. Furi ; Furi is an amazing character action game made by a small indie studio. its character action boiled down to its best parts the boss battles and each one is intricately and expertly crafted. along with great visuals and a great soundtrack this was an indie highlight for me this year.

9. Uncharted 4 ; Uncharted 4 is here to give it recognition for it being the magnum opus of what the first game set out to do, its the logical conclusion of 9 years of iteration by Naughty Dog and multiple other studios chasing the cinematic shooter sub genre. If that sounds a bit arbitrary and dull, thats because that describes my split opinion on this game. for its wonderful pacing, beautiful presentation, excellent writing and amazing action sequences. its ultimately more of the same and it does little to differentiate itself from its own past. Again i think it is deserving of awards for being the best at what it does, but its overall safeness is why its so far down on my goty list, I think any other year it would be #1 but this has been an exceptional year for games.

JerkShep

- For Better or Worse -

10. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; It's strange to talk about pacing in Uncharted 4, because at the same time it can be its greatest strenght and weakness. On the narrative side, I've seldom seen games with a tighter grasp of their story, its structure, progression and themes. Unfortunately, the perfectly paced narrative clash with a moment-to-moment gameplay that just feels rough and sacrifices rhytm and depth for a misguided attempt at variety. There are a lot of gameplay systems at work in Uncharted 4, from light platforming to shooting encounters, from puzzle solving to self contained open world sections, but most of them feel a bit shallow, they are rarely mixed together and usually drag for very long sections. The shooting sections are actually fun and mostly a step up for the series, but there are just so few of them and you run the risk of skipping most of the earlier ones if you're using the simple stealth mechanics the game provides. In a year where a lot of games took a core concept and tried to explore it in every way possible, be it the line puzzles in The Witness, interactions with Trico in The Last Guardian or boss fights in Furi, Uncharted 4 tries a little bit of everything but without really reaching a satysfing level of depth. Until now I purposedly omitted mentiong the characters, as I think they are the heart of Naughty Dogs last work and the true aspect for which Uncharted 4 should be praised and remembered. The budget surely helped but it's not just animations and motion captures, a big part of it is just how naturally dialogues sound and flow in the game: interactions are believable, genuine, and the character work around Nathan, Elena and their relationship is kind of heart warming. Uncharted 4 doesn't quite reach the highs that The Last of Us, and even in the Uncharted series I feel I still like Uncharted 2 more, but it's definitely a proper send-off for the series, with story, characters and their writing being the things that stood out the most of me and earned it a place on this list.

- Main Theme -

9. The Wicher III: Blood and Wine ; The last expansion of The Witcher 3 functions as a send-off to the long running series. It's been almost 10 years since the first game released and it feels right to let Geralt have a bit of a rest. The fabled lands of Touissant are a fitting place to say our goodbyes. Blood and Wine, probably by design, is not as tight as the last expansion "Hearts of Stones", which was among the best content the series ever delivered, but the best aspects of The Witcher 3 are all there. The new region is beautiful to look at, full of well written side quests and characters, and the story explores themes that, while maybe familiar to book readers of the series, were hardly touched upon by the games. Even the gameplay additions feel more substantial this time, with a lot of new ways in which to specialize Geralt in combat. The branching main quests reminds me of what CD Projekt did in Assassins of Kings, and even if I really liked the idea I must say that I found one of the path much superior to the other. It felt more true to the spirit of the series, with Geralt having to deal with the bittersweet consequences of his decisions, even the ones made with the best of intentions. All in all, Blood and Wine comes heavily recommended and, well, if you have followed Geralt's story all the way through, you wouldn't want to miss the bow at the end.

- Panacea -

8. Hyper Light Drifter ; Fittigly, I'm almost at a loss for words when trying to say something about Hyper Light Drifter, a game that tells his story and world only through images Its artistic merits are self evident even just looking at a simple screenshot, the soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful and the combat is actually quite deep consdering the game's genre. So what's not to like? Even if it sounds a bit unfair, I think sometimes Hyper Light uses its fantastic combat as a crutch, it could have benefitted from a larger focus on exploration in some sections, especially considering the amazing design of the four main areas. One too many times I felt that the game brought me in a beautiful and interesting location just to leave me in front an elevator that descended in the depths of earth, where I would have to face a small gauntlet of enemies. Some of these dungeons work very well in the context of some of the areas (the South section especially) but are a bit overused in others. The Legend of Zelda influence is palpable, and it's true that older Zelda games are more combat focused than the newer ones, but I personally would have liked to see a bit more focus on traversal and puzzle solving, as a breather between the tight and difficult combat sections. I might have some small issues with the game, but that didn't stop me from doing 800 dashes in a row to unlock a stupid cape, so Hyper Light Drifter definitely left a mark in me.

- Shockwave -

7. Inside ; I'm torn on Inside. It does so many things right in art and sound design, it has so many genuinely intriguing ideas presented in its world, all of this even discounting some of the mind-wrecking events that happen during the story...and yet there's so little "game" in it. I'm not against games that focus more on the experience than challenge or deep gameplay mechanics but the puzzle design in Inside made me long for a more complex experience. I wanted to see some of the concepts introduced in the latter part of the game reaching their full potential. I felt so close to having an Oddworld spiritual successor when I was completing some puzzles, and when I discovered those sections were but a couple in the whole game I couldn't help but feel a bit of disappointment. Despite these misgivings, Inside is an unique and memorable experience. I just think that, with a bit more focus on gameplay, it could have been so much more.

- Iudex Gundyr -

6. Dark Souls 3 ; As with every Soul game, I spent hundreds of hours playing Dark Souls 3 this year and I feel it would deserve at least half of that to explain why it's not higher on this list without sounding petty or nitpicky. Instead I have a small paragraph and don't know where to begin. I'll preface by saying that Dark Souls 3 is a fantastic game and you should play it. It has some fantastic boss fights, especially towards the end of the game, some of the areas are among the best in the series and some of the new additions to the Dark Souls lore are really intriguing. Having said that, even discounting the "Souls fatigue" that one could feel after having played three titles and five DLCs in the span of the last three years, there are some issues that go beyond that and that are worth mentioning. I think many earlier areas and bosses are very weak for a Miyazaki-directed episode of the series, it relies a bit too much on nostalgia for the original, reintroducing old characters and locations in a way that feels a bit too skewed towards fanservice and that damages some of the new concepts and factions original to Dark Souls 3 (and that even after the release of the first DLC feel a bit unfinished). The progression is very linear with a few exceptions and some of the gameplay changes, like weapon arts, are not as well developed and implemented as comparable mechanics in previous games, such as Bloodborne's trick weapons. I also think that build variety is severely restricted in a normal "New Game" playthrouugh and opens up only on NG+ and beyond thanks to an higher Soul Level and increased availability of spells, rings and weapons. On one hand the benefits of having a heavy and slower weapon are severely diminished considering the fast and aggressive style of most of the enemies, on the other two out of three schools of magic are practically not viable on a first playthrough, requiring hefty stat investments just to have comparable damage to a much lower level character focused on melee. This two things combined create a situtation in which the sure fire way of going through the game is just to pick a fast weapons and focus on physical stats (admittedly Pyromancy is still quite good even on lower levels). Last but not least, Ashes of Ariandel, the first piece of DLC content released for the game, offers a fantastic boss fight and a decent new area, but it can't even compare to what FROM Software did with Artorias of the Abyss, The Old Hunters and even the Lost Crown Trilogy in terms of content. Dark Souls 3 is as good as any Souls game, in some aspects it might even be the best one (especially multiplayer), but it's not as revolutionary as Demon's was, it's not as memorable as Dark was and it lacks the unique spin on the formula that Bloodborne provided, its unique style, setting, atmosphere and lore. It's still better than Dark Souls 2 in most ways, and it works neatly as a conclusion to the series and the world of Dark Souls. It's an absolutely great game in a series full of great games, I just think three of those are a bit "greater" than Dark Souls 3.

- Task Force 29 -

5. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; When all is said and done, Mankind Divided might be my favorite Deus Ex game since the original. While I definitely agree with the "too little too late" sentiment considering the long development time, I think I enjoy it more than I did Human Revolution. It's a tighter, more consistent experience. I know there are some issues outside the core game (one time use items, cut content, the usual stupid season pass policy, breach mode, microtransactions) but I found the core game experience to be fantastic nonetheless. It reminds me a lot of The Witcher 2, it's a smaller experience that sets up a sequel, but at the same time your own playthough feels more personal and unique. Walking through the Dvali theater freely for having completed their chain of totally missable sidequests was an eye opener moment. I could see this big map, with a lot of enemies, robots, side passages, vents, and because I made some choices I could just waltz in, talk with the boss and go out. Sidequests were already good in Human Revolution but in Mankind Divided they stepped the game up even more. Basically every quest chains ties with the main one and/or with other sidequests that might appear unreleated at a first glance. Not only that but most of the stories you discover resonate well with Jensen and his current arc of discovery. And I won't even mention to super subtle secret stuff that can be unearthed with a bit of e-mail reading and breaking and entering. It's sad that Square Enix is still trying to do their damnest to sabotage the franchise with some scummy practices that make absolutely no sense, but I still feel that the developers are one step ahead for the time being. Let's hope it stays that way.

- Something Memorable -

4. Furi ; I didn't expect anything from Furi. Hell, I didn't even knew it existed until it was given out with PS+. And it blew me away. Everything, from the visual style to the exceptional soundtrack, from the gameplay mechanics to the bosses progression, seem to converge to shape up a very distinct experience. At its best, Furi is a pure unadultered adrenaline rush. All the jailers are unique, they are good when taken by themselves, but are even better as a whole. Going through Furi can feel like going through an album that intentionally put the tracks in a very specific order to elicit very specific emotions. The moment to moment action is good but the flow of the combat is even better, with every single phase of the boss increasing in intensity until the tense final phase when you have just one objective: survive. I even liked the particular style they've chosen for narrating the story, and most of the dialogues are very well written as well. "Excellence is a habit, we are what we repeatedly do". I for one can't wait to see what this team can do in the future.

- Born in the Month of Darkness -

3. Dishonored 2 ; The level design in Dishonored 2 is some of the best I've ever seen. The first Dishonored had already fantastic levels but the ones in 2 felt even more sprawling, meatier, there's a lot of fun and experimentation to be had even before arriving at what can be considered the main location of the level, where the target of the mission resides. The first two missions are a bit forgettable and the last one, while decent, can feel a bit anticlimatic, but the remaining six are truly fantastic. The stand outs, like "Clockwork Mansion" and "A Crack in the Slab" are truly superb and something I've never seen in a game of this genre. The writing unfortunately took a hit, it definitely feels dumbed down, the original Dishonored plot was serviceable at best, but the writing and performances were still strong and the setting felt so unique. In the sequel every pretense of subtlety is abandoned, everything seems a bit more cartoony and simple. I still appreciate the attention to details, reading the documents you can find or using the Heart is still very rewarding. Dishonored 2 might not be revolutionary, but it seems to be the result of Arkane mastering the design of its creation and on a gameplay level improving on the good things the first game already set up. There are parts of Dishonored 2 that are simply a must-see for a fan of the genre and I couldn't recommend it more strongly.

- In the Hall of the Mountain King -

2. The Witness ;

"In the last two days I think I spent four hours with this puzzle"
"I need a break, maybe let the game be for a few days... but I AM SO CLOSE"
"I feel like a crazy person, I'm gone off the deep end for this one and I need a reality check"
"I'm starting to see lines everywhere"

These might seem like the ramblings of a mad man, but you're reading just some of the crazy things I posted during my playthrough of The Witness in January. It absorbed me in a way that I didn't believe possible for a puzzle game. I have a small notebook full of hastily drawn lines, scribblings, grids and geometric forms. Completing The Witness 100% was madness...and so much fun. I didn't look for a story hook, I found satisfaction in simply exploring the different areas of the island, mastering the mechanics, enjoying how meticulously designed the game was. I appreciate that the "narrative" in The Witness is more about explaining, reinforcing and complementing its design decisions than telling a regular story, it makes it stand out even more. I remember when I found my first environmental puzzle. I remember when I understood the importance of perspective in the game's world and how it affected things. I remember descending inside the mountain after completing the lasers, thinking it was almost over and finding dozens of new challenges ahead. I remember beating THE Challenge on the brink of insanity. Those were my story moments, as cheesy as it sounds. And those moments will stick with me for a long time. The Witness will stick with me for a long time.

- Epilogue -

1. The Last Guardian ; Saying something meaningful about my favorite game of the year is always tough. If it's about a game ten years in the making, it's even harder. The Last Guardian has many issues, and you already know what they are. The Last Guardian objectively has a lot of merits too. But it's not about those either. It starts with a bond. It's a bond between a boy and a misterious animal, but it's even the one between you, the player, and them. How an author can establish something so profound and personal so naturally with so few words is truly something special. And yet Ueda seems to do it so effortlessy. It's almost magical. The Last Guardian resonates with me so much that it cannot NOT be my favorite game of the year and one of the finer experiences I've had in games this generation.

Lucius86

Banned
1. Doom ; The biggest surprise of the year too. Old school FPS fun done impressively well. A breath a fresh air much needed in a stagnant genre.
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; A wrap to the best game I have ever played. Loved every moment of this expansion. I will miss Geralt and his merry band.
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A bit run of the mill but this year was a disappointing year for games for me, hence it's placing.

These are the only three games I have played that deserve a nomination. Games that didn't make the cut include Dark Souls 3 (please can someone tell From Software how to tell a story...gameplay only does not cut it) and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (what a disappointment from HR).

Peroroncino

1. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; A perfect expansion to an already perfect game, it offers great story, awesome characters [along with 2 fan favorites that fans were begging to see], great quests, CDPR also enhanced some mechanics and even added some new ones, even on release day the price was a STEAL.

2. Salt and Sanctuary ; Basically Bloodborne 2d, it sounds silly, but it's not, the game is a perfect conversion of Soulsborne formula to a 2d environment, the combat is tight and brutal, atmosphere is dark and heavy, level design is amazing and there are a lot of secrets

3. Dark Souls 3 ; A fitting end to a great series [considering it really is and end], 'bigger, better more badass' however the novelty of Souls is slowly getting a little lost on me with each entry so I think it was the perfect send-off.

4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Despite some people saying it's worse than Human Revolution, I found it to be a much more enjoyable experience thanks to an even better hub (which was packed with secrets), better dialogues, lip-sync, motion cap and overall atmosphere which was enhanced by amazing visuals. Gameplay was kind of 'samey' and didn't evolve much from HR, but I don't consider it a bad thing.

1. Let It Die ; Unconventional in style and how it plays, there's nothing quite like this actiony spin on dungeon crawlers. The game is about you balancing your drive to make your way up the increasingly challenging and fascinating Tower of Barbs versus your willingness and ingenuity to prepare for the challenges ahead. You'll experience a fair share of "flew too close to the sun" moments as well as Monster Hunter-level moments of calculated success-- moreso than most games. Being such a deep action game with an array of possibilities and randomness, the game always has me thinking about the next step or questioning my last. That, combined with its thoughtful, darkly-humorous post-apocalyptic gameworld, keeps me coming back for more simulated pain and pleasure.
2. Doom ; Neither a return to form nor a mere continuation of modern conventions, Doom rips its own path straight down the middle, guns blazing and monsters splattering. Modern: Repetitive checkpoints every few feet, check! Old-school: Level design so good you don't even care, and even welcome death! Every blasted modern FPS convention is there, but Doom's old-school backbone makes it good. You're not 100% sure how, but it does.
3. Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours ; Chronicle mode offers a complete dissemination of the traditional STG experience, spread across a dizzying array of levels, resulting in a simple, light, in-the-moment experience. All you have to cling to are the fundamentals, your instincts, and your reflexes. No need (or real opportunity) to consciously memorize patterns or obstacles-- it'll all just soak into your mind and body while you play a billion levels and jam out to Zuntata's musical anthology. Also hilarious, based on the online leaderboards, I guess only me and like 15-20 other people in the world have actually bothered to complete the later stages. Maybe we're just easily amused!
4. Xanadu Next ; It's a pleasing combination of addictive exploration, simple, fast combat, and pleasant soundtrack. It's a less actiony Ys with a more interesting, interconnected world. It's just what you'd expect from venerable developer Falcom.
5. Dark Souls III ; It's very dark, and very souls. Even as someone who's loved the series since Demon's Souls, for better or for worse, I don't have much to say about Dark Souls III. I felt right at home.
6. Dragon's Dogma ; Up until the PC release, I was on the fence about this game. But the enhancements added enough, especially performance-wise, to show me the light. It would seem like a gamble to make a deeply combat-focused RPG, but not if that game is Dragon's Dogma with Capcom action game talent backing it up. Creative character classes and cool powers, along with your party of pawns, made for some unforgettable fights.

1. The Last Guardian ; Fumito Ueda and the talented team behind this game delivered something special, a game that i will remember forever. It has its flaws, and despite that, i absolutely adore it. The simple but emotional story of a boy and a beast, working together to survive in a misterious and fascinating place full of dangers. Trico is the best realized creature in this medium, if you have an animal you can't not fall in love with him and appreciate the amount of work behind him. The ost is great. Truly a unique experience.
2. Uncharted 4 ; A great way to end Nathan Drake's story in my opinion. The best playing uncharted game, pretty lenghty single player with amazing visuals. It has some problem with the pacing and the ost is not as good as the other games imho. Would have loved to play the multiplayer too as i loved it in 2 and 3 but eh, i don't want to pay to play mp.
3. Gravity Rush Remastered ; A little gem of a game. It has fresh gameplay mechanics, a beautiful artstyle and an amazing ost. I'm so hyped for the sequel.
4. Ratchet and Clank ; It's just a fun, colourful game to play. Maybe you could see too much the movie influence. I love this series and i can't wait to see what's next for this duo.

Adamastor

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Naughty Dog delivers yet again. I've been a fan of the series since the very first demo for the PS3. I think Uncharted 4 has, in my opinion, the perfect ending to any video game series, or even media I've experienced. Can't wait for the DLC and here's hoping The Last of Us Part II is on par if not better.

2. Quantum Break ; I'm a sucker for story. Time travel is hard to pull off, but I think Remedy did amazing with this one. Time travel narratives are so much better the second time around and this game got better the second time through. Can't wait to see what they have in store next.

3. Tom Clancy's The Division ; I'm not into too many online games, but with the right friends this was pretty fun (although I I guess you can say that with any online game), and I kept coming back for it. And the fact that it's still installed on the hard drive means I'll go back soonish.

4. The Last Guardian ; Although not as amazing as Shadow of the Colossus, I still had some fun. I stopped playing FFXV in order to finish it, so that must be a good thing.

5. Final Fantasy XV ; I don't know... I liked it, and I didn't. It was a good story, but the whole story gap near the end just didn't... I don't know. I was disappointed. I'm hoping the next one can be more in the tone of IX, but that's my wishful thinking.

6. Life is Strange ; Great story. Great way to have one's decisions feel like they had a way to impact the story (I'm looking at you Telltale). Great surprise.

7. King's Quest ; I'm a sucker for puzzle games, and the way the story is told just brings a smile to my face. The voice acting is on another level too. I'm a fan.

8. Day of the Tentacle Remastered ; See above. I had never played this game too, so it was great to try to solve puzzles without resorting to guides... I only had to do it once. Shame on me. Now I'm pertinently waiting for Full Throttle which I've never played.

9. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Slow and steady building of the character. I'm hoping the next one will be globe trotting adventure filled with more tombs than we can handle.

10. Gears of War 4 ; Hmmm... What can I say, the game got good at the end. I thought: "here we go" and then it just ended. I was disappointed.

Honorable Mentions
x. Firewatch ; Best walking simulator I've played
x. Gravity Rush Remastered ; It was good, just didn't live up to all the hype for me
x. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty! ; It's Abe. How can you not like Abe, and laugh at all the farts.
x. Resident Evil 0 ; I want the REmake 2 to come soon!

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Not high up on a lot of people's lists, but fuck 'em =P. Prague was an amazingly well constructed and detailed hub to explore with a ton to do, and it was more of the gameplay and look of DE:HR that I loved.

2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst ; My list is going places for sure. Well the story was forgettable, but it did provide some nice setpieces to parkour through. The meat of the game for me though, like the first one, was the time trials. I was impressed with how well they managed to design their routes in the open world and I spent a good number of hours top 1-2%ing all of them, just like I did 3 starring the original's.

3. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; A DLC expansion that's longer, meatier, and straight up better than most new games that came out this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Forza Horizon 3 ; One of the best racing games I've played, and definitely the best open world one. The landmass is vast and the terrain is varied, the driving feels great. The expansion at the end of the year just solidified this placement with a great new snowy area and a rally feel.

5. DOOM ; This is what FPS campaigns have been missing. Frantic crazy balls to the wall action with a huge and diverse selection of weapons at all times. Just a joy to play through, though the final few levels did get a bit repetitive after you've encountered all the enemy types and acquired all the weapons.

6. Battlefield 1 ; A nice change of pace in a shooter's feel and scenery after BF3 and 4, and finally a current gen only BF. Still playing this and looking forward to all the upcoming map packs as well.

7. World of Warcraft: Legion ; Well I'm pretty much chained to this game forever, but Legion revitalized me a bit with a breath of freshness. The new world quest system is much better than dailies used to be and changes things up enough day to day to keep it interesting. Mythic+ dungeons as another form of progression are also surprisingly fun to push through weekly with a static group of friends. Updates have been steady, and plans for future patches look amazing from both a content and art perspective.

8. Overwatch ; It's high noon

9. Quantum Break ; So, I love me some timey-wimey stuff. The way you could mix the powers with the shooting made the firefights feel very dynamic and fast paced while also making you feel like quite the badass. The live action segments were... interesting, but I could've done without them too and it would not have been a loss.

10. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Just a fun, inoffensive but heavily signposted action adventure romp. It was not a bad time =P

Tapejara

1. DOOM ; DOOM is easily one of the best shooter campaigns I've played this gen. Each combat encounter is exhilarating, the weapons are fun to use, the game looks great and it runs really well. Although not much focus is put into the story, DOOM's campaign is excellently paced, helping to move the story along and keep you interested.

2. Headlander ; DoubleFine's Headlander has a lot of heart. It's well written, it's funny and it's a pretty cool metroidvania to boot.

3. Far Cry Primal ; Having felt lukewarm on Far Cry 3 and not even bothering with the fourth entry, I wasn't expecting to enjoy a Far Cry games as much as I did, yet Primal had me hooked. Perhaps it was just the change in setting, but Far Cry Primal ended up being a lot of fun.

4. Reigns ; I'm always discovering something new in Reigns. Even if it sometimes feels like I'm not making progress, the game finds ways to tease more of the story. That Reigns can be so simple yet so engaging is proof enough that it deserves a spot on my list.

5. Pac-man Championship Edition 2 ; An absolutely addictive score attack game, Namco's successor to the popular Pac-man Championship Edition DX changes much from the original yet still manages to be just as fun.

Honorable Mentions

x. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A beautiful end to one of my favourite game series. While Uncharted 4 didn't quite wow me like its predecessors, it's still a fine game and well worth checking out.

x. Overwatch ; Blizzard's hero shooter took the gaming community by storm this year, though it didn't quite leave the same impact on me. It's always great seeing your favourite characters (Mercy, duh), but core gameplay just didn't hook me like it did others.

x. Battlefield 1 ; The latest entry in the Battlefield franchise is really good, but much like Overwatch above it didn't leave quite the same impression on me as Battlefield 4 did.

Eumi

1. Pokemon Sun/Moon ; Without a doubt the best Pokemon game ever made, pretty much every aspect it iterated on was improved and the new additions and changes keep it fresh. Secretly has the second best characterisation this year.

2. Final Fantasy XV ; I really wanted to give this the top spot but unfortunately the fact that I don't mind its flaws do not mean that they do not exist. Probably the most ambitious and adventurous JRPG ever made, XV is different, with a all male party acting as a catalyst to have what is probably the best developed group of characters in any game. Add to that beautiful art design, a killer soundtrack, and an actually decent story once you figure out what the hell is going on, XV will go down as a flawed masterpiece. It's a shame that messy presentation of the narrative and an oddly disconnected second half drag the game down.

3. Stardew Valley ; I'm not a huge fan of this genre. I put 51 hours into this game. Stardew Valley is pretty much a perfection of farming sims in the vein of Harvest Moon. Everything just feels like it works. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer too much in the way of distinguishing itself.

4. Furi ; A short but rewarding experience, Furi feels like a showcase of development. It's half walking sim, and half boss rush. The split between hand holding narrative and mechanically heavy twitch combat is interwoven into a package that still sticks with me when other similar games have faded.

5. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; A crossover that ends up more strangled than supported by its heritage, TMS still sports possibly the most unique step in JRPG combat we've seen in years. TMS takes special care to keep you rotating and constantly levelling each party member, and it uses its SMT DNA to create a weapon system that makes every party memeber greatly customisable. Whilst the plot is garbage, and the characters not much better, the setting of show business is another interesting unexplored idea for RPG's, and one that lends a unique taste to the game.

1. Uncharted 4 ; Story, character development , action and visuals all served up with an incredibly high standard we expect from Naughty dog. The market, jeep ride and truck convoy is one of if not the greatest sequences in the genre.

2. The Last Guardian ; Absolutely spellbinding, a true unique and emotional experience in gaming and well worth the wait.

3. Battlefield 1; Probably the best depiction of war yet in a game, the gunplay sound design and overall multiplayer experience is top notch stuff

4. Final Fantasy XV ; Heaps of charm and excellent action gameplay with some stunning visuals and attention to detail. Not without its issues but they dont detract from what is a great return to form.

5. Pro Evolution 2017 ; its just simply the best playing football game out there.

6. The Witness ; Probabky the best puzzle game out there with tons of hidden depth.

7. Skyrim Remastered ; I didnt get to finish it originally on ps3 so dove in again and this game got its hooks in me deep.

8. Abzu ; Fantastic art direction and soundtrack for this short but beautiful game.

9. Thumper ; addictive adrenaline pumping madness, I love it

10. Alienation ; housemarque keep on delivering such great gameplay and long may it continue

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; An amazing "end" to an amazing series. We`ll miss you guys.
2. Dark Souls III ; Not the best Soul`s game, but still better than most games of the year.
3. Final Fantasy XV ; Not perfect, but a good road trip, considering it`s background.
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; It may be the new 3D-metroidvania standard.
5. XCOM 2 ; Awesome and hard as a XCOM game should be, "Ruler Reaction" aside...
6. Street Fighter V ; Still incomplete, but it does plays good.
7. Shadow Complex Remastered ; One of the best metroidvanias around, period.
8. Titanfall 2 ; An FPS with both SP and MP good?! Call me crazy!
9. EVE: Valkyrie ; It justifies owning a PSVR.
10. Life Is Strange ; Simple design with a good story and well done game mechanics.

Has a Last Guardian avatar...doesn't list The Last Guardian, heh

Saying it's all line puzzles is like saying Portal or Talos Principle are all just "place things here" puzzles. Completely diminishes the variety and ingenuity that is built upon the foundation of the line and panel mechanic

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; Yes, it's an expansion. But damnit, CD Projekt Red made this expansion better than any game I've played this year! The interesting story. The characters. The world. The soundtrack. There's just so much to love about the game. Plus it felt like a proper send-off to Geralt. Like this truly could be the end for The Witcher series. You know a game was great when you find yourself not wanting to leave that world cause the adventure was just that damn good. I honestly wish every developer would take pride in their expansions/DLC like CDPR did with The Witcher 3.

Ashtar

Wow all these rules man.... no wonder people don't vote

1. XCOM 2 ; I loved Xcom: EU but this upped the ante in every meaningful way, and the increased tension/decreased turtling from timed missions was a god send

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; what I thought witcher 3 would be, my favorite WRPG

3. Hitman ; only got this a week ago and it already shot up the list, it's a clinic on level design, and elusive targets are a real test of skill

4. Watch_Dogs 2 ; Instead of improving on the already excellent WD1 they went a different direction and refined the hacking and stealth and made the game a lot more likeable

5. Tom Clancy's The Division ; Most co-op fun I had all year

6. Steam World heist ; 2D xcom, excellent portable gaming

7. Doom ; Best FPS campaign since Halo Reach, fast and fun, too bad it's install size is so huge or I'd have ran through it again

8. Ratchet & Clank ; I love the mix of shooter and platformer and the game is absolutely gorgeous. It does have a few small missteps but overall an excellent game

9. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; loved this game but not as much as the Human revolution, an over reliance on vents though and a a somewhat abrupt ending hurt it

10. Oxenfree ; An adventure game with probably the best dialogue system out there, told a creepy and interesting story about an old navel base.

Honorable mentions: Hyper light drifter, inside

Edit: what the hell, I wrote about Xcom 2 but forgot to save when i was reformatting I think

Disxo

1.Civilization VI;A refined civ V with amazing and addictive new mechanics, simple yet complex. Addicting and beautiful to look and listen. Groundbreaking soundtrack that brings a tear to my eye.

2.Hearts of Iron 4; Yes, I said It was a dissapointment, some things like micromanaging units because of the dumb AI and naval invasions that are an utter chore to deal with.However, It has pottential, it is addictive, fun and with a huge modding community, It wouldnt be fair to say I didnt have fun after all.

3.Stellaris;4X goes grand strategy! Although it is slightly light content wise, like HOI 4, it has the potential to be even better, yet,still being fun to play at the current state.

4.Archeage Revelation; Yup, Archeage is back baby, stronger than ever and looking for redemption, sad about the launch though, that really sucked.

5.Let it die;Such a weird game, its uniqueness is awesome.

Thats about it for me, I didnt play much this year. I am really sad I couldnt play dark souls 3 this 2016, but I didnt have time

1. Overwatch ; I'm not going to lie, from the reveal at Blizzcon 2014, I was stoked beyond belief for this game. What I got from that initial video was “Blizzard Does G.I. Joe” and that screamed DREAM GAME for me. All objectivity went out the window. I followed every video, every Tweet, every blog for scraps of info. I watched all the shorts I applied for every single beta, but didn't get in to any of them. But the day came, and eventually I got to play it for myself. I fell for its' charms almost straight away. I adored the cast of characters and frequently laughed at their banter. I was wowed by the cool things I could accomplish with my team. Most importantly, I felt encouraged to keep playing by a game that understood that winning isn't just about a sick KDR. It is that rare competitive game for me where I can still enjoy myself even when I'm having a bad day or three. The truth is, there is very little that can compare for me to the joys of a full Overwatch group. When it clicks, there's nothing on this list, and from many other year's lists, that can compare to it. People like to compare Overwatch to Team Fortress 2, and while it's a lazy criticism, to me it's actually a strength. This game captures the joy of the early years of Team Fortress 2, when it could genuinely be considered one of the best multiplayer games of all time. Before Valve's endless quest for more hats, money and hats made of money, there was a brilliant game there, and Overwatch feels like the next step for the genre. The first year of Overwatch has been thrilling, and I look forward to seeing where the team can take it in 2017 with the next lot of heroes, maps and of course, Loot Boxes. This next one's going to be a Legendary, I can feel it you guys....

2. DOOM ; This was a game where its' impact was actively hindered by the marketing deparment. While Bethesda only wanted to show you the multiplayer, even releasing a beta that could only be described as dreadful, the game's campaign is the star of the show. That intro, where you break out of your goddamn space sarcophagus, murder a demon before you're even standing, and then see a monitor where they somehow have a setting on their security for DEMONIC INVASION IN PROGRESS, and this all happens in about three minutes, I had a massive smile on my face. This game wasn't just going to rock, it was going to RAWK. Then Mick Gordon's epic riff kicks in, as the DOOM Marine cocks his shotgun in time with the music, and it seems like in can only get better. Then I got into the first main area, checked my map and “HOLY CRAP IT'S LIKE A REAL DOOM MAP!” And the best part is, the game does not let up until the very end. Some may say it's a little too intense near the end. I might be inclined to agree with them, but DOOM is the biggest surprise of this year, and a worthy successor to those classic games of yesteryear.

3. Titanfall 2 ; While the top two delivered the best singleplayer and multiplayer experiences of the year, Titanfall 2 was the closest thing to a complete package that delivered. The campaign might be the tropiest thing all year. It's to the point where if you can't tell after the first 15 minutes exactly how the story is going to go down, you don't consume a lot of media and TBH, I slightly envy you. It's still a good little story, familiar in ways that the likes of the Marvel and Star Wars franchises exploit at your local multiplex on a yearly basis. Jack and BT's bond follows a well-trodden path, but that didn't mean I didn't cheer, laugh or gasp exactly when the script intended me to. It is also a fantastic way of learning the mechanics of this particular shooter, with every chapter seemingly intended to teach you one aspect of the wider gameplay, from choosing the best Titan loadout for your situation, to the game's super parkour system, to the various more unique weapons like the Volt and the infamous Smart Pistol. The multiplayer is where you put what you've learned into practice, and it's chaotic, messy and just fun as hell. It's just a shame the player base likely won't be there to support it long term.

4. Batman: The Telltale Series ; “OH NO!” came the cries from the peanut gallery. “ANOTHER EARLY BATMAN STORY?” they bellowed. I think, however, that a lot of people including myself, massively underestimated Telltale here. They took DA LORE and gave it a good kicking until it emerged as something else entirely. This is a different kind of Batman story, not afraid to take chances or do things that might be unpopular. It's not just a retread of Year One again. And yeah, the choices are still there, and while the strings are as apparent as ever, it doesn't stop Telltale including some of their most sadistic choices yet. The game also had the most insane twist I've ever seen in one of Telltale's game, with the ending to Episode 3 tying everything so far together and leaving me in stunned silence for several minutes afterward.

5. Enter the Gungeon ; I should hate this game. Ikaruga is literally the only bullet hell game I can play for more than a few minutes at a time. And while I've always wanted to get into roguelikes, their brutal difficulty and often impenetrable rule systems end up turning me off a lot of the time. So, when I took a chance on Enter the Gungeon, I was stepping outside my comfort zone a good bit. I'm glad I did. It won me over from the opening menu, and as I stepped into the Gungeon's floors, I found myself gripped by its' mysteries, instead of merely being overwhelmed by them. Mostly I favoured the Marine, for his extra health, and the Huntress, for her bow that kills almost any enemy in one hit but is slow to reload. Gameplay wise, it feels “fair” to me in a way that many other roguelikes don't, which is often what causes me to bounce off them. When I die, I know it's my fault that I messed up. I like that, because I can use that to improve, even on days when RNGesus is whimsical. And I have to admit, the characters' quest for the mythical “gun that can kill the past” kinda spoke to me as I'm getting older.

6. Firewatch ; Helmed by the people that brought you Telltale's take on the Walking Dead, Firewatch follows two ordinary people, over one summer in a forest in Wyoming, and their relationship conducted over a two-way radio. But things, as they often do in these stories, take a dark turn. Firewatch is a game about setting up expectations and then supplying something different, not what the player expected or wanted. I suspect this is why there was quite a bit of backlash around the time of release. I know it stuck with me for many days afterwards. It challenged my way of thinking in a way I didn't think a game could, and which I've honestly neglected as I've gotten older. It's mostly that I don't like to feel sad, helpless or stupid, but this game made me feel both, in a way I'm comfortable with. In a medium where you're always saving the world, Firewatch is a moment of quiet introspection. It will only take you an evening to play. It's an evening you'll remember for quite some time.

7. INSIDE ; INSIDE is the follow up to LIMBO, while not being a sequel to that game. This one gripped me in a way that LIMBO never quite managed. It helped that they made the puzzles much less obtuse than sections of LIMBO, which had problems with obscuring elements needed to solve the puzzles at times. It's a moody, unsettling game that keeps you interesting in uncovering what, exactly you're running towards the whole time. The ending is what it is. The majority of people seemed to think it was genius. I don't think that's the right word. It's certainty interesting and adds layers to what was up to that point, a relatively simple narrative. I couldn't help but feel thought, that it detracted from what I thought was a fantastic experience on the whole. But I only finished it last week, and it's been on my mind during my work days, so that tells me something.

8. SUPERHOT ; SUPERHOT is innovative, stylish and more than just a shooter with a cool mechanic where time only moves when you move. It's a great puzzle game because it gets what makes puzzle games great. It has you tearing your hair out after failing out of a section for the 20th time, then it all clicks, you nail your next run, and you feel like a god, or at least a demigod. And the game knows you feel this way, because it plays it all back for you without the freezing mechanic, to show that you are indeed a badass. In an age where games reward you by filling bars, it's cool to have a game that has a different way of showing the player how good they are.

9. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Some time after the events of Tomb Raider (2013), we rejoin Lara Croft as she goes in search of the truth behind the strange beings she encountered on the island. We had to wait a few months, and PS4 owners had to wait almost a whole year, but for me it was absolutely worth it. A game so technically proficient it bordered on ridiculous, from the opening in the snowy mountains, to the Geothermal Valley, to the epic set pieces that formed the finale. While the writing struggled to match the ambition at points, the game remained a joy to play throughout. The controls felt responsive, the pacing was dead on, and the optional tombs added much needed Tomb Raiding to the new Tomb Raider franchise, even though there wasn't enough of them. A third game, “Shadow of the Tomb Raider”, supposedly leaked on a train of all places a few months ago. I'll be watching with anticipation.

10. Stories: The Path of Destinies ; The game where the Stories are made up, and the choices do matter. An isometric action game with a Visual Novel swirl, Stories has you play as a fox reliving the same events over and over, with disastrous results every time, until you can discover the fundamental Truths of the story and prove yourself a True Hero. With a hilarious narrator, the Stanley Parable with a shot of Discworld, accompanying you as you go, it's a game that does a lot with very few assets, thanks to the help of its' ingenious backstory encouraging replayability. An unexpected gem of this year.

Honorable Mentions
x. Tom Clancy's the Division
x. Hitman
x. REIGNS
x. Owlboy
x. Gears of War 4

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Incredible end to the series, with the best action and gunplay, and the most substantial story yet with these characters I've grown to love.
2. Doom ; Came out of left field and blew me away with its old school sensibilities and frenetic action.
3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Prague is detailed and exciting to explore, and the open-ended encounter design made it fun to step back into Jensen's shoes. Not quite DE:HR, but really hoping we get another one of these to finish the story.
4. Rigs: Mechanized Combat League ; The most complete VR game, it breathes new life into the arena shooter category with novel controls, fun game modes, and immersive action. Everyone has a mic which encourages communication, and a close match with a good team really gets the blood pumping.
5. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood ; Great old-school arcade shooter with insane VR immersion factor. It's scary and over the top, and feels like having an amusement park ride in your home. High replayability due to scores and collectibles.
6. Final Fantasy XV ; Long awaited and it didn't disappoint, a highly ambitious game with endearing characters and a well-realized world, if a little barren. Held back by that and chapter 13, but it ends on a high note.
7. The Last Guardian ; Ueda finally delivered this follow up to Ico and SOTC, and it's a masterpiece on several levels, namely for the bond you feel with Trico by journey's end due to his incredible believability, and the deft handling of puzzles which are oftentimes reliant on his AI. Controls and framerate didn't bother me on the PS Pro. Great as a one-off, but I don't feel like the game has any replayability, especially because
some of the trophies are so poorly conceived (hint trophy) that it deters me from going for the plat.
8. Eagle Flight ; Soaring around Paris as an Eagle is quite thrilling, especially when flying through tight spacing while trying to shave seconds off your best time. It's also one of the most fully realized games available for VR at the moment, with plenty to see and do.

V3RT!G0

Banned
1. Uncharted 4: A Thieve's End ; Naughty Dog, thats all I have to say, truly a full package game. Amazing story, smooth gameplay, fun little easter eggs, great game mods and fun multiplayer.

2. Dark Souls 3 ; Just like previous tittles and also Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, this game is off the hook, challenging as hell and pretty much perfect gameplay.

3. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright ; This is my first Fire Emblem game, I never was much of a tactics type of gamer, had so much fun with the dying characters system, I really felt the loss of some of my allies.

4. Pokemon Sun ; Gotta catch em all, I haven't finish the game yet, I have been playing the hell out of it these last couple of days though. I like how they removed the Gym battles from previous games and added new challenges.

5. Resident Evil 5 Remastered ; I have played the hell of out this game when it first released on 2009, with this remastered you get better graphics and performance. I got this game because I wanted it to play it through with my girlfriend and so I did, we had an amazing time with it, especially with "The Mercenaries"

Sorcery-Part-4-Banner.png

1: Sorcery! 4 The Crown of Kings ; In a world where games that boast "diverging" paths in stories, based on your choices, offer to people nothing more than the illusion of choice, where no matter what you choose, the same outcome happens but in a slightly different way. The Sorcery series bucks this trend and shows you how it's properly done. The final chapter of the amazing Sorcery series ends on a high note. Everything is perfectly crafted. Every decision from previous games comes back, every path you took will shape your adventure. The writing is phenomenal and combined with the sound effects that fuses perfectly, the bustling noise of people in the markets, the squeaking sound of rats in the sewers, it immerses you completely in a world of magic and treachery

2: Atlas Reactor ; There's a lot of mobas out there, they each try to offer they own unique spin but none really try to rock the boat. In comes Atlas Reactor that tries to shake the genre a bit by turning it from real time to simealtaneous turned base....and suceeds greatly. Gone are the needs of fast reflexes and in comes the need of fast thinking With only 20 secs for everybodies turns, It's a game of foreplanning and bluffing, strategy is a must but damn does it feel satisfying when it all comes together, you really feel like you outsmarted the enemy cause you were able to shift and adapt. Combine that with a diverse cast of wacky characters and you got a winner.

3: Saramost 3 ; Amanita games have done it again. Saramost 3 is a gorgeous game using a combination what seems to be prerenderd bakgrounds with some photography and even some hand drawn stuff here and there. With perplexing hard puzzles, it's a game that rewards exploration and curiosity and when you finally learn how to do that tough puzzle "Aha" moments are plentiful.

4: Overwatch ; While not original in any sense of the way, Blizzard still managed to make a very polished experience. From sound cues of the ultimates to the sound effects of enemy footsteps, they have carefully designed this game where casuals can jump right in and advanced players can keep improving by learning the subtle depth the game provides. Taking cues from Pixar they have created a game where the art style allows the diverse personality of each cast of charatacers to flourish as if it was an animated movie

5: Hyper Light Drifter ; It's Zelda meets Sword and Sworcery. A dark foreboding world in which you'll feel inclined to explore where fast reflexes and timing is the only way to survive.

canedaddy

I didn't get much time for gaming this year, and also played some pre-2016 games, so this will be a short list.

1. Dragon Quest Builders ; This was a big surprise... I couldn't put it down, and had to resist the urge to start over when I finished it.

2. Severed ; Drinkbox nailed it... best touch gameplay I've ever experienced.

3. SteamWorld Heist ; Fun from start to finish.

Roufianos

1. The Last Guardian ; My first Team Ico game and I loved it from the first few minutes. A joy to look at, incredible pacing and brilliant puzzles. Such a breath of fresh air after the open world craze.

2. Pokémon Sun & Moon ; Potentially the best game in the series. Loved the OST, the characters and the region.

3. Ratchet and Clank ; Always been a huge fan of the series and was great to have it back after so many spin offs. Great foundation for a new era of R&C.

Top Bottom