• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

Roarer

1NmnYts.jpg
1. The Witness ; 2016 was a good year for games with actual artistic ambition. While some people may be put off by the pretentious nature of something like the Witness (or inside, or Virgina, or Firewatch, or whatever), to me these games are all about showing what the medium is capable of. The Witness is probably one of the most divisive games of the last 10 years. To me, it was one of the most profound experiences I've ever had with a game. On the surface, the game is nothing more than a couple of hundred different line puzzles where you connect two dots by drawing a line while obeying various rules. But the context in which these puzzles are presented is what makes the game so special. Placed on a empty island in the middle of the ocean, you are thrown into the game without any explanation for what you are doing or why, how to solve any of the puzzles or how to progress. Instead of telling you what to do, the game becomes a vehicle for your own discovery and a tool for you, the player, to teach yourself how the world works and how everything fits together. In fact, The Witness is all about these two themes – discovery and knowledge. The game demands quite a lot of you as a player. Nothing is served or given, everything has to be earned and figured out by yourself. But The Witness makes this challenge a pleasure by crafting a beautiful world that is shock full of nuance, detail and secrets. Oh, and those secrets. The thing about The Witness is that it gets under your skin. Soon you will start to discover things about the world and how its put together that opens up new possibilities, new puzzles and new solutions. Soon, the whole game world (and the real world) becomes a giant puzzle and you find yourself scouring strange corners and looking for signs in the sky like some demented mad man yelling at clouds. The Witness is truly a special game.

2. Inside ; While it is easy to make comparisons to Limbo, for several different reasons, Inside is so much more than a spiritual successor to 2008's Danish indie darling. It is one of the most cohesive artistic visions in any kind of medium, from the way it tells its story to how you interact with the game's mechanics. The heavy dystopian undertones, the themes of control and power, of individuality (or lack there of) run through the game like a thread being spun into a fabric by the choice of visual design, music and gameplay. Without spoiling too much I will say that the way Inside conveys its themes through gameplay is nothing short of brilliant. Nothing in this game is ever wasted, hence the pretty short running time (2-3 hours). Everything you encounter is bespoke – every enemy and animation, every puzzle and every environment feels handcrafted and meticulously placed. Visually, Inside is remarkable. Every frame of every scene is like a painting. The sparse use of color, the carefully lit environments, the animation all adds up to a strikingly beautiful (and horrible, disgusting, weird, sterile and creepy) looking game.

3. DOOM ; This game has no right being one of the top 5 games of 2016. It should barely exist, let alone be this good. No one would have though that id software, itself in a creative downhill spiral, could resurrect DOOM, a franchise so lost in irrelevance and nostalgia, but here we are. DOOM is stupid, fun, silly and bad-ass. It is an intense shooter experience with fantastic level design and combat encounters. It is also fully aware of how stupid and silly it is and it goes all in, but without ever being pandering or having its tongue poke out through its cheek. We've already seen the deconstruction of the gruff action hero and the lampooning that followed. We've seen the attempts at recreating the balls to the walls action of a 1993 shooter that ends up looking like a 13 year old edgelords wet dream and groan inducing yawn to the rest of us. But DOOM saw both these paths and went a different way. In a sense, this is both ironic and post-ironic at the same time. Demonic invasions and the DOOM Marine (yes, he's actually called the DOOM Marine) are laughable concepts and the game knows it. They laugh at it, we laugh at it. And yet, the DOOM Marine shooting up a bunch of demons and traveling to hell and back manages to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a game. If anything, the fact that DOOM is such an enjoyable game with an actually cool and fun story is probably the work of some demonic force.

4. Dark Souls III ; A ”best of" Dark Souls is bound to be fantastic and Dark Souls III really does deliver on all the high notes already strewn throughout the series. Where it perhaps falters is in originality. There is nothing new to see here. Some might even say that the game is creatively bankrupt. Harsh, but also quite true. There's a certain sense that Miyazaki & co felt the need to pander to fans of the series instead of trying something new, and it shows in certain areas and certain aspects of the plot that feel like unabashed fan service. Still, its a stunningly beautiful game with some truly amazing environments . Combat is fun and satisfying as always and once I finished the main game I went directly into New Game+ and did it all over again so I guess I like this game.

5. The Last Door Season 2 ; Don't let the 4-bit graphics fool you – this is one of the most atmospheric and engrossing games I've ever played. A follow-up to a point-and-click adventure from 2014, this game sees you further uncovering the occult mysteries of the first game. Set in a late 19th century England this game is full of mystery, parapsychology and interdimensional travel. A masterfully crafted game, exquisitely paced and directed, the sound design is fantastic, as is the brilliant soundtrack. The story follows on from the first game but manages to expand upon and wrap up what was left dangling without falling into any of the trappings of bad sequel writing. A rare thing indeed.

6. Hitman ; One of the biggest surprises of year. A much maligned announcement and launch, Hitman soon proved to be a brilliant concept both in terms of gameplay but also the episodic nature. Having a new level every other month has been a real treat. Hitman really nails the free form assassination concept, giving you a plethora of tools and opportunities to cause murder and confusion in equal measure. Everything about Hitman is ridiculous and silly, from the way that you can dress up as anybody just by taking their clothes to they way that every thrown object has a way of magnetically attach itself to the targets skull. Developer IO knows this and lets you revel in it. At its best, Hitman is a perfect sandbox for the player to dick around in and try to mess up the games rigorous clock-work diorama. The game shines when its level design plays to the strengths of the gameplay and tone, with Sapienza being the perfect example. This map alone is enough to convince anyone of the games brilliance. It's a multi-level, multifacetted sprawling playground full of interesting characters, big open areas, small secluded hideaways, secrets, hippies, haunted bedrooms, a fort, the ability to dress up as a priest, Gary Busey and anything else that you can think of.

7. Virginia ; Set in a small town in Virginia, you play as an FBI detective working a missing persons case. Much like Thirty Flights of Loving before it, Virginia uses jump cuts to direct the pacing of the story and create dramatic tension. Throw in some Lynchian themes, a dash of suspense, LSD trips and some surreal dreamscapes and you've got on of the most interesting games of this year. This is the kind of game Tale of Tales wishes they could make (instead of whining about how nobody understands their unplayable art). Brilliantly executed, the game features very little interaction but delivers on everything else. There's a clear and palpable rhythm to the pacing of the game that so many other story based games lack, making it a far more engaging experience.

8. Oxenfree ; The trend of games featuring teens being normal teens in a modern setting while strange paranormal shit goes down continues on from last year's amazing Life is Strange. This time the visuals are a bit scaled back but none the less atmospheric. Featuring a brilliant dialogue system and some spot on writing, Oxenfree is emotionally striking and manages to balance Lovecraftian vibes with teen drama without sacrificing one for the other. There's not much there in terms of interaction and the 2D graphics means a much smaller sense of presence, but in terms of writing and atmosphere Oxenfree nails it.

9. Firewatch ; This game comes so close to being truly special, but as it stands, the way the game's mystery resolves is a bit of a fumble and a tarnish on an otherwise excellent, moving and beautiful game. The first two thirds of Firewatch are incredible – arriving in the forest, slowly getting a sense of the vastness and loneliness of it all and getting to know the games two bright and shining stars, Henry and Delilah. Acting and video games seldom go along very well, but both actors and the writing team pull off something incredible here.

10. Darkest Dungeon ; A brutal, almost sadistic game both in terms of story and themes but also gameplay as well. Tasked with uncovering the secrets of your ancestors old abandoned manor, Darkest Dungeon serves up a brutal dungeon crawl whose intense battle system is supplemented by an intricate resource management where the mental health of your dungeon faring heroes is one of the most vital stats to keep in check. Punishing and difficult, you will die and fail again and again and much like the heroes in your party, you will eventually start to go insane. Especially once you reach level 5 and realize that the random numbers are total bullshit and it's a matter of pure luck whether you make it out or not. Oh well, the atmosphere is great and the sense of dread is truly oppressive (in a good way). Extra props to The Narrator, whose lines I've been quoting all year.

Honorable mentions

X. Hyper Light Drifter ; I'm a sucker for pixel art and this game is a thing of beauty indeed. The gameplay is nice and challenging, the story telling is minimalistic in a way that I love. Something with it just didn't click enough to push it all the way.

X. Day of the Tentacle Remastered ; The greatest adventure game ever made, remastered for modern resolutions and with pristine and restored audio. It was either a number 1 spot, which felt wrong for a 25 year old game, or an honorable mention.

X. Pony Island ; You play a cute arcade game. It's filled with happy ponies and they're jumping and being happy! Except the devil has hacked the arcade machine and your stuck in it. Good fun.

X. We Know the Devil ; a delightfully weird and somewhat subversive visual novel.

X. Twilight Struggle ; A deep, tactical and detailed digital version of the acclaimed board game of the same name. The AI is pretty terrible, but the core game is fantastic.

X. Twilight Struggle ; A deep, tactical and detailed digital version of the acclaimed board game of the same name. The AI is pretty terrible, but the core game is fantastic.
Yoooooo there's a digital form of this now? I have the boardgame, and like most boardgames I never play it because I hate setting it up and tearing it down! Digital would be a godsend!

Slixshot

Banned
1. Titanfall 2 ; If in a year with Hyper Light Drifter, Overwatch and Uncharted 4 coming out you would have told me that none of them would be my top pick, I would have laughed and said you're crazy. Having played Titanfall 2, this game is just that great. I dove straight into multiplayer despite most saying that the campaign was as top notch as they come and I have since regenerated (Prestiged) which is something I have never done in a multiplayer game. Then I played the single player and fell in love with the lovable hunk of meetal, "BT." On top of that, the developers are awesome. Free DLC, open opinions about their publisher, very few microtransactions which are actually undervalued. A fantastic community both on here and on Reddit are the cherry on top.

2. Hyper Light Drifter ; I spent years waiting for this little indie game. I found the kickstarter within hours of its initial launch and backed it immediately. It lived up to everything I wanted from the original concept and all of the promises on from the campaign 3 years prior.

3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; The end of one the best. Graphically, the best looking game as of 2016. The locals Drake and friends venture through are the best in the series. Gameplay was at its finest. Story, as usual, was at the forefront of Uncharted; telling the best story of the year.

4. DOOM ; Bought this Day 1 because I grew up on the original on PC. What a surprise this was. When I think of a DOOM game in 2016, I can't imagine a better game. This has everything going for it.

5. Ratchet and Clank ; What a nice reminder of how fun platformers can be. Graphically flawless and full of humor, this was just a joy to play all around!

6. Overwatch ; If you went to my most anticipated games of 2016 from the thread last year, this was it. Overwatch is awesome. I can't deny it. At some point I just stopped playing it though and didn't go back to it for literally months. Despite that, this game has so much going for it.

7. FURI ; The soundtrack makes this game as memorable as it is, but the stylish look and enjoyable boss fights do help make this one of the best games I've played this year.

8. Dark Souls III ; Bloodborne was the first Souls experience I could actually get behind. Loved that game and still think it's one of my favorites. DSIII is not as high up on my list, but I still thought it was pretty damn great. Playing with a buddy on the opposite side of my headset made the experience even more fun.

9. RIGS: Mechanized Combat League ; This is the VR game to me. When I put on the headset and turn RIGS on, I swear that there is the smallest part of me that believes that I'm a mech pilot. While you need some VR legs to play this one, I can't recommend it enough once your body is able to handle the experience.

10. The Witness ; I lost myself to this game for like a week! Discovering certain things on my own was amazing. Unfortunately, I hit a road block and then life happened and I just never went back. Still, I respect and applaud what was there.

x. The Last Guardian ; I enjoyed the game. I didn't love it in its entirety, but the art direction and portrayal of a real animal was uncanny. Technical flaws did hold it back though. The controls of Trico were frustrating at times. the movement was rather janky too. Nevertheless, there aren't really any games like Ueda's. He takes steps in directions most wouldn't and for that I applaud him on his success.

x. Gravity Rush: Remastered ; I platinum'd this game on Vita. Did the same within a couple weeks of the remaster's release. I get Studio Ghibli vibes from this game and that makes me happy. Looking forward to the sequel and what it can do to improve on this already great original.

x. Rocket League ; Game of Forever. My best friend and I play this as often as our schedules permit.

x. Inside ; I originally had this in my top 10 but as I reflect back on it, the best part was not the game but playing it with my friend I hadn't seen in a long time. It was interesting, yes, but I did not like the ending very much and I think I had more enjoyable experiences in other games.

1. Final Fantasy XV ; It is a flawed game, but it absolutely lived up to the hype for me, and nothing comes close to playing a well realised Final Fantasy after so many years of waiting.

Hektor

header.jpg

1. DOOM ; RIP AND TEAR, RIP AND TEAR. An amazing, fast paced shooty shooty BANG BANG where everything that isnt amazing gameplay takes a big step back. A surprising and outstanding gunfest, mixing oldschool design philophies with new technology.

header.jpg

2. Pony Island ; This is a really mindblowing, unique, little and surprising, 4thwall metagame about playing a harmless cute videogame about ponies Nothing more to know. Really. Nothing at all. WinkyFace.

header.jpg

3. XCOM 2 ; While the game had some crass performance issues, the game itself made about for them by quite a margin. Taking the established formular of the XCOM reboot and turning things up to 11 while fixing most of the reboots design issues like the spare ammount of maps.

header.jpg

4. SUPERHOT ; The most innovative shooter i've played in years. Taking all those amazing action sets you know from movies and making them playable in the most stylish way possible.

header.jpg

5. Clustertruck ; The most innovative platfo, wait, we had that already, umh... i don't know man, it's a first person platformer in which you - utilizing grappling hooks and time slow magic - jump from one exploding truck driven by a drunk fedex delivery guy to another. What else do you wanna hear?

280px-World_of_Final_Fantasy_-_Logo.png

6. World of Final Fantasy ; Take all the Final Fantasy fanservice you can get (except for FFXII because nobody likes it, despite being the best, yes, THE BEST), put cute anime into it, mix it with some Poket Monsters catch-athons and BAM you automatically have a great videogame.

header.jpg

7. VA-11 Hall-A ; a funny, heartwarming VN with a great OST tarned as tactical barkeeper action and the less i say about it, the better.

rcps4_main.jpg

8. Ratchet & Clank ; It's fun in its purest form and feels like a PS2 game in the best of ways. I sure wish there would be more like it.

QclnMCH.jpg

9. Ladykiller in a Bind ; Don't google this at work. A very funny, lighthearted, maybe a teeny tiny bit erotic Visual Novel about cute anime girls playing manipulative social games on a cruiseship for rich teens, primarily exploring the themes of sexual dominance.

header.jpg

10. Tyranny ; Altho Tyranny is a bit stale in what its doing and does not explore the genre an it's possibilities at all, it's very competent at what it does and honestly the main reason it's on here because this wasn't a great year for videogames - in my opinion of course- and the other option was Dark Souls 3 with the same issue of being stale and safe.

1. Grim Dawn ; A Diablo clone that hooked me almost immediately. Huge build variety and progression kept me playing for hours on end. It got me where path of exile and torchlight 2 did not.
2. Dirt Rally ; My current favorite racing game. Getting good times on tracks is satisfyingly difficult, you gotta earn that first place.
3. Overwatch ; I still think it's a TF2 clone, but it's a real good one and very welcome. Great fun with friends especially, though I can't stand to play competitive alone.
4. The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine ; I mostly want to recognize the whole game since I couldn't play it until now, but Blood and Wine is fucking fantastic. The level of production is insane, and the story is nailed (falls short of 2 a bit).
5. Doom ; A fun campaign that 'modernizes' (a little too much I think) old Doom. While the level design is still not as good as the original 2, it still succeeds where other 'modern' reboots like Shadow Warrior and ROTT fail for me.
6. Dark Souls III ; It's Dark Souls but more of it. I found enemies to be much more aggressive in this one, especially the bosses which I found more challenging than in the original. It doesn't quite have the originality of the first game, but it's still got the same good gameplay.
7. Axiom Verge ; If AM2R were eligible, I would still put this game above it. It's a fantastic Metroid-like game that does enough to set itself apart to remain memorable.
8. Killing Floor 2 ; I haven't played this much, but I find it to be a more refined Killing Floor 1, with way more satisfying weapon effects. The gunplay here is top notch, enough to keep zed killing fun for a while.

That's all I played that stuck out to me. There's still stuff I want to try, but what I played left me satisfied with this year in games.

An unconventional and interesting choice for rank 1. It seems astonishingly expensive for a puzzle game though. I'll wait for this to dip below £10.

If you read through the thread you'll find plenty of others who chose The Witness as their #1. I haven't posted my list yet but The Witness will be the headliner there, too.

An unconventional and interesting choice for rank 1. It seems astonishingly expensive for a puzzle game though. I'll wait for this to dip below £10.
It was my number 1. I don't see anything particularly unconventional about that. It's a well regarded puzzle game that could have easily been full priced at $60.

I bought it for $20 on sale under somewhat similar mentality. Having played it, I would've gladly paid $40.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A fantastic game to finish a great series. The rhythm is not as perfect as in Uncharted 2 but overall that's still my GOTY 2016... Not as strong a winner as my favourites of the last couple of years I must say.

2. Darkest Dungeon ; kickstarter at its best ! And another game with a good Lovecraftian vibe after Bloodborne !

3. Street Fighter 5 ; The content is finally there to go with the excellent core gameplay. The DLC policy is a bit annoying though.

4. Deus Ex: Mankind divided ;

5. Xcom 2 ;

6. Total War : Warhammer ;

7. The Last Guardian ;

8. Dishonored 2 ;

9. The Witness ;

10. Overcooked ;

1. HITMAN ; Freedom, Choice, Insane replay value

2. INSIDE ; Gripping story, fantastic sound design

3. Titanfall 2 ; "Press LB to
time travel
"

4. The Division ; Rough start. Since patch 1.4 the game has come alive. Season Pass content is weak tho.

5. Planet Coaster ; THE (TRUE) KING IS BACK. Amazing support for the devs. Game will last a lifetime.

6. Forza Horizon 3 ; One of the best racing games ever

7. Battlefield 1 ; Sound and Visuals classic DICE goodness. Gameplay is what you would expect. Solid addition to the series

Farmboy

1. King's Quest: The Complete Collection ; Wanted to throw some love to this game, itself a love letter to the classic Sierra adventure series.

2. Turmoil ; My most played game of 2015, when it was in Early Access. It's out officially this year, and deserves a look. Reminded me of the unique of strategy games of the 90s, while being thoroughly original at the same time.

3. Solitairica ; Had to mention this as it was my (short but heavy) addiction of the past month.

4. Day of the Tentacle: Remastered Edition ; Sure it's weird to vote for a remaster but this is perfection we're talking about.

McNum

Well now. This is new for me, I actually had to go edit my list back on page 15. A newcomer just sniped Star Fox Zero down to an honorable mention.

Said newcomer, which is also oldschool being...
7. Day of the Tentacle: Remastered Edition ; A classic now in HD with redrawn art, remastered sound and a commentary track. It's a very competent remaster and it is still very much the Day of the Tentacle that baffled us all back then. It has some ridiculous leaps of logic, all in the name of comedy. Like when you see a black cat and carry around some white paint, but need a skunk, you had better be up on your old cartoon knowledge. Also a shout out to the achievements in this one, some of those are for the most obscure things, with excellent comedic timing. Like pointing out just how many items you've technically stolen, or point out that it's only alligators, not hamsters you can flush down the toilet. Hamsters go in the microwave. In short, this is an adventure game classic that everyone should try.
Well done Day of the Tentacle, first time I've had my GOTY list sniped after I posted it. And yes I checked if it was eligible.

1. The Last Guardian ; The story affected me more than any other in recent memory in ANY medium, not just video games.
2. Uncharted 4 ; So good. This was my number 1 until last week. The perfect end to Nathan Drake's story.
3. The Witness ; I loved every second I played this game. The most beautiful puzzle game ever created.
4. No Man's Sky ; It gets a lot of hate, but I can't stop playing it - especially after base building was added. It awoke the amateur photographer in me.
5. Street Fighter V ; The best fighter I've ever played. I just wish I were better...
6. The Tomorrow Children ; Amazing visuals and concept.
7. ABZÛ ; Journey underwater. Nuff said.
8. Firewatch ; Gonna be honest - I haven't finished this yet, but the graphics and dialogue are top notch.
9. Gemini: Heroes Reborn ; Shockingly good and WAY better than the TV series it was based on.
10. Table Top Racing: World Tour ; It's no Micro Machines V3, but still fun.

x. Life is Strange, LEGO Dimensions, Destiny and Star Wars Battlefront DLC took up the rest of my time, but they aren't 2016 games.

1. Doom ; They did it. They actually did it. Against just about as many odds as one can imagine, id Software finally made a worthy follow-up to the original two Doom games. Despite several high-profile staff departures since 2004, a troubled development cycle, and the scrapped "Call of Doom" nonsense that leaked out a few years back, we somehow ended up with a game made with a near-perfect understanding of what Doom is: evasion-driven combat in complex, expertly-crafted environments, complemented by an incredible engine and over-the-top metal soundtrack. The amusingly self-aware narrative is icing on the cake. Of course, the multiplayer leaves much to be desired, but there's always Quake.

2. Hitman ; Hitman was always a series I admired from afar. I gave Blood Money an honest shot, but the stiff and unwieldy controls kept me from getting too far past the tutorial and into the intriguing murder sandboxes that awaited. Conversely, Absolution was frustrating for myself and fans alike since IO Interactive decided to move away from those open-ended scenarios just as they were beginning to nail the controls. With Hitman, we have the best of both games, and I was finally able to dive in. The traditional Hitman gameplay married with fluid, more accessible controls is what I've always wanted out of the series, but the episodic "games as a service" approach was an unexpected boon. The often-massive levels go hand-in-hand with the steady rollout of new contracts, seasonal events, and special Elusive Targets. The side content is admittedly a bit less interesting, but with so many ways to complete your contracts, it's easy to spend dozens of hours on the main story missions alone.

3. Forza Horizon 3 ; Forza Horizon 3 may be the best podcast game you could ask for. It's one of the few open-world driving games that takes full advantage of the freedom that the genre offers. There's an absurd amount of content, but it smartly avoids overwhelming the player by letting them roam the roads of Australia, completing races and challenges as they see fit while steadily doling out more challenges and vehicles as they progress. Of course, the buffet of content wouldn't mean anything if it wasn't supported by excellent gameplay: the Horizon series' trademark pairing of car dork customization and arcade sensibilities means countless hours of some of the best driving I've ever experienced in a video game.

4. Titanfall 2 ; Redbox game of the year. Titanfall 2's campaign introduces so many god damn ideas within a 5 hour runtime and knocks almost every one of them out of the park. The frequent Half-Life 2 comparisons are apt, but gone is the self-serious tone that plagued that game and its subsequent episodes, replaced by a lighter narrative whose tone is decided in part by the player. The dull vehicle segments have been replaced with engaging Titan setpieces and boss fights, and the pedestrian movement and combat replaced by some of the most exhilarating locomotion and weaponry since the F.E.A.R. series. While I didn't have the opportunity to play any of the multiplayer, I'd have to imagine that Titanfall 2 would only be higher on my list if I did.

5. Ratchet & Clank ; Insomniac Games knows two things: shooting shit, and jumping around shit. Sunset Overdrive may do a better job at integrating the two, but Ratchet & Clank is still a great series in its own right. Although it's fairly worn territory after almost a dozen games, this is easily the best playing and best looking game in the entire series. The loop of exploring an area and slowly but surely upgrading your arsenal is satisfying, especially considering the second tier of weaponry levels that you unlock in repeat playthroughs.

6. Shadow Warrior 2 ; I treated this game with the most cautious of optimism from the moment I heard it was going to be a more open world, loot-driven game similar to Borderlands. Changing the formula for a sequel in such a big way is always risky, but thankfully, it paid off. While I can't help but wonder what could've been had it been more similar to its linear predecessor (its short length compared to the 2013 original is likely a side-effect of developing such a radically different sequel), I have to admit I'm impressed by how Flying Wild Hog circumvented the pitfalls of loot-based design that Borderlands falls victim to. By making the randomized loot stat-changing gems that you equip on weapons instead of weapons themselves, loadout customization becomes much more interesting, with weapons becoming wildly different based on which three gems you equip on them. As a much-appreciated bonus, the comedy isn't quite as insufferable as that of Borderlands.

7. Mafia III ; The Mafia games have a history of ambitiousness, and for better or for worse, this means they tend to bite off more than they can chew, as evidenced by Mafia 2's transformation from a sprawling crime epic to a great linear shooter disguised as a decent open-world crime game. Mafia III embraces the second game's inner GTA, but keeps the flawed ambition all the same. The game is rough in a lot of different areas, but it oozes style (particularly in the documentary-style cutscenes) and deals with subject matter typically outside of AAA gaming's comfort zone. Most importantly, however, it's ridiculously fun just sprinting into gunfights and stabbing everybody in the fucking eyes. Seriously, the vicious combat is fun enough to get me through a lot of the game's busy work.

8. Killing Floor 2 ; Killing Floor 2 is probably the simplest game I enjoyed this year. You and a few other folks kill a bunch of monsters for a few waves until you fight the boss and either win or die. There's more to it than that, but honestly not that much. The things that define Killing Floor 2 are the gun fetishist-caliber reload animations, the stupid shitty (sometimes Christian) metal music that plays during waves, and the fact that you can blow your enemies into 23 different pieces. Sometimes you just don't need nuance, and Killing Floor 2 is a prime example of that. Throughout its Early Access cycle, Tripwire Interactive tried to add things like enemy damage resistances to specific weapon types to flesh out the gameplay, but was met with immediate backlash. Rightfully so: it's okay for dumb fun to just be dumb fun every once in a while.

9. Dying Light: The Following ; I had a great time with Dying Light last year, but even with the excellent free running system, the absence of vehicles always bothered me for some reason. They weren't necessarily amazing in Dead Island, but it always struck me as something that could've been expanded upon instead of outright cut. Luckily, the Following did just that with the dune buggy. Having a vehicle in addition to your parkour adds an extra dimension to the traversal, letting the new environment be much larger and more interesting than the two main areas in the base game. It's also a great deal more challenging than the campaign, which is definitely welcome. Overall, the expansion almost feels like what the sequel to the first Dead Island should've been.

10. Dead Rising ; It took just about a decade, but we no longer have to have a 360 hooked up to play Dead Rising. The game obviously doesn't look like much compared to the graphical showcases of today, but it's hard to believe it's a decade old and relatively untouched beyond the framerate and resolution boost. What little improvements that have been added (additional save slots and a far superior "Arcade" camera movement mode) are actually pretty useful, however. Sure, the survivors are still a pain in the ass, but there's still no game quite like it, even if there were three sequels.

BiggNife

Wow all these rules man.... no wonder people don't vote
It takes like two minutes to properly format a list and these rules have been in place for like a decade. It takes a shitload of work to properly tally a massive poll like this so i really don't mind spending a few minutes to format my list to make things easier for cheesemeister et al.

MidEvlDed

1. Final Fantasy XV ; A beautiful looking game, with fun combat and great music, that I enjoyed spending 60 hours in.
2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Awesome stealth combat that makes you feel like a badass.
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Another beautiful looking game with great characters that will be missed.
4. Watch Dogs 2 ; I enjoyed playing in an accurate representation of the bay area with fun gadgets at my disposal.
5. Dishonored 2 ; Another fantastic stealth game with a great art style.
6. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; One of the best looking games of the year and there's so much to do besides the main quest.
7. Dark Souls 3 ; It has the usual tight controls and great art style but it also feels a little "more of the same-y".
8. Tom Clancy's The Division ; Fire fights were fun and I enjoyed finding new items for my character, but the missions did get repetitive.
9. Mirror's Edge Catalyst ; I enjoyed the freedom of free running throughout the city and I thought the controls were improved over the original.
10. Mafia 3 ; The missions got repetitive but the game has fantastic stealth gameplay for an open world game and a good soundtrack.

Honorable Mentions
x. Batman: The Telltale Series ; A good Batman story but I thought the game lacked bigger set piece moments that would have made it great.
x. Battlefield 1 ; Great looking game with some good stealth gameplay, but I don't play the multiplayer so I couldn't put it higher.
x. Firewatch ; Great art style and an interesting story right up until the end, but I didn't care for the pay off.
x. Oxenfree ; Good story, writing, and voice acting but I liked too many other games more.

pariah164

As someone who played all three Fire Emblem Fates games and wants to vote for it as a whole, would I just list it on my ballot as Fire Emblem Fates?

Ekai

Just started playing this one indie game and it's....possibly going to be on my list....going to have to rearrnage things. Bleh.

uc4_logo_lg.png

"As thrilling as the next adventure may be, in the end, you're always left with that same feeling."
1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; While not the bombastic final game I was hoping for, I enjoyed how personal and SLOW the game was at times and how properly they explored Nate's addiction after a first attempt in Uncharted 3. Epilogue closed the series in a fantastic way and I salute Naughty Dog for giving Sony's currently most popular franchise a well needed break.

The_last_guardian_logo.png

"TRICOOO!"
2. The Last Guardian ; Trico didn't listen to me or even followed my directions half times. I was pretty much annoyed at him most of the game. And yet I was hit with a wave of emotion during the last hour of the game and by the time the credits hit, the tears kept falling. The game is like no other and a huge breath of fresh air in this generation. Thanks for not giving up Ueda and Sony!

3. Inside ; This game just gives me chills every time I think about it. There's nothing more to say. Just play this game in a single run and you will understand.

Doom_logo.png

"Weaponizing demons for a better tomorrow!"
4. Doom ; Took me 6 months to complete but I guess the reason for that is because it was so good and yet so short I didn't want it to end. The shooting felt so great and the movements were so goddamn smooth. MP is not half bad, but they could have at least double down on SP specially with that season pass constantly reminding us that there is MP in Doom.

dark-souls-3-PNG-logo.png

"Welcome Home, ashen one. Speak thine heart's desire."
5. Dark Souls III ; 2/3s of Souls + 1/3 of BB = This game. Another damn good conclusion this year. Can't wait for the next IP from.... From Soft.

final-fantasy-xv-1-2-700x350.png

"Ooh, spacious. There's sooo gonna be a big nasty here"

6. Final Fantasy XV ; While the open world did not fit the game at times and the story suffers from quite a few plot holes, the game exceeds expectations in both gameplay and visuals.

U4MXC80CUKIE.jpg

"What do you know about the battlefield?"

7.Battlefield 1 ; I hated all the previous BF titles, mainly because I was so use to the COD style of MP. But this year COD failed me and I was welcomed with open arms into BF1's MP. And my god, it was amazing. I have never as much fun in MP since the Modern Warfare days. Everything about it's good and the lack of any futuristic crap makes even better. Excellent job DICE!

960x170_watchdogs2.png

"A secret society of hackers, serving our own brand of justice."

8. Watch Dogs 2 ; What a turn around. WD1 was okay in my eyes, but it was held back by a wannabe soulless Batman with gritty story. But WD2, got it right. Interesting characters, great setting, improved gameplay and really good side missions. This one should not be missed.

Deus_Ex_Mankind_Divided_Logo_-_onWhite.jpg

”It's a good thing that you're here. I don't suppose you could ‘Jensen' your way in there and grab it for me?"

9. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; Game was a disappointment when compared to Human Revolution in terms of Story and side missions. But the gameplay was improved massively and everything about the game was better. Let's hope they can improve the story next time.

IF0dVuY.png

"Don't worry love, cavalry's here!"

10. Overwatch ; Okay so in my defense I'm not really good at the game. But I at least decided to add it to list because it's a very good game with an Excellent selection of characters. I also love the support Blizzard keeps giving the game, support like that should not be ignore.

zashga

2016 was great for videogames. I had way too much stuff to cram onto my list, so there will be copious honorable mentions this time around. There are a few things (notably The Last Guardian and Hyper Light Drifter) that I just didn't get to in time; it was really stacked. That said, here we go:

nCuQMzz.jpg
oR060CJ.png
SAMs43l.png
DnPsaWS.png
nqTX3gi.png
ULlsoAK.png
MsqD4Dp.png
Og47RD3.png
XQgivr2.png
Dx7uDlv.png
7mEfxxv.png
8E7MjvW.png
QgEGrFf.png
HUKfNLf.png
OjJqcPS.png
BUAcMLr.png

1. Dark Souls III ; It seems like every year a Souls game ends up at #2 on my list, but this is the year I couldn't put anything else on top. Dark Souls III is by no means perfect; none of the Souls games are. But I'm still down for more brilliant levels, amazing bosses, and another spin on Fromsoft's trademark apocalyptic fantasy. I kept coming back to this game all year long. At 160 hours and counting, nothing else in 2016 had anywhere near this game's longevity for me.

2. The Witness ; Far and away the most thoughtful game I played this year. I was worried leading up to this game that its line puzzles would be too one-note to sustain it beyond a few hours, but I was blown away by the creativity and sheer variety of puzzle mechanics on display. It's also the prettiest game I played all year; I adore its saturated colors and the varied biomes that make up its island setting. The Witness is definitely shorter than most games on my list, but it's also the one I spent the most time thinking about.

3. Overwatch ; I wasn't sure whether I really wanted a new Team Fortress 2, but Overwatch is a game I've been playing off and on since it released with no end in sight. A lot of this game's popularity owes to its brilliant character design, but that wouldn't be enough to sustain it if the gameplay wasn't also top notch. It's both more complicated and more streamlined than its most obvious inspiration, and it's a game that a lot of us will be playing for years to come.

4. Stardew Valley ; For someone who always wanted to play Harvest Moon but somehow never did, Stardew Valley is a revelation. The combination of farm building and relationship sim, with added minigames like fishing and mine-dungeon action, made for a game I sank dozens of hours into. Smartly designed long-term goals and the calendar (complete with seasons, holidays, and even birthdays for every NPC in the game) made sure I always had something to do. Stardew Valley is good about nudging you outside of your farming routine to try out other things. The overall package has surprising polish and a lot of heart, and it's a game I genuinely love.

5. Fire Emblem Fates ; While I think the decision to split this game into three separate-but-not-really packages was a mistake, there's no denying how much I still ended up playing and enjoying this game. It's one of the only story-driven games this year that I played through more than once, and there's a lot of stuff in this game. Missions, characters, classes, support conversations, the ever-popular shipping... Fire Emblem Fates is the most Fire Emblem we've ever had in a single year.

6. Civilization VI ; I was a little cool on the idea of Civilization VI leading up to its launch, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed some of its adjustments to the age-old formula. Refined hex-based movement and combat, splitting progression into separate technology and civics trees, and city districts all make for a game that's kept me up til 3 a.m. more than once. Also--and this may be a little silly--I appreciated this game's hopeful perspective on human achievement in a year when actual civilization moved in a markedly uglier direction.

7. Dragon Quest VII ; I barely touched the original release of DQVII on PS1, so I was stoked when the 3DS port was finally announced for a Western release. Square Enix made a lot of smart adjustments to the game, but it's still the classic JRPG I wanted it to be. As someone who actually enjoys turn-based combat and the staid fantasy trappings of the genre, this game is right up my alley.

8. Pokemon Sun ; Speaking of traditional JRPGs, Pokemon Sun (or Moon, if you're one of those people) is another Pokemon game. It has a lot of fun creative touches--and a refreshing Hawaiian flavor--but it's still a Pokemon game. I am more than okay with that. The series wouldn't be this popular all these years later if the quality wasn't still there. The new and re-imagined Pokemon designs are great, and Team Skull may be the most lovable band of misfits the series has ever given us.

9. Paper Mario Color Splash ; As a big fan of Sticker Star (for real), Color Splash feels like a logical endpoint for this particular branch of the Paper Mario series. It has some really baffling decisions that keep it short of its full potential, but it's still a fun, charming minimalist RPG. In the end, Color Splash is a surprisingly long game with delectable artwork and a phenomenal soundtrack.

10. Master of Orion ; As a reboot of the classic 4X game, I'm kind of surprised how little attention this one got. Its slavish devotion to the previous games means it doesn't bring a lot of new ideas to the table, but it's a good, streamlined take on the source material. I spent dozens of hours with this one conquering the galaxy again and again.

Honorable Mentions

x. Kirby: Planet Robobot ; More of a good thing. Planet Robobot is one of the better, more original Kirby games in recent memory.

x. Dragon Quest Builders ; Half Minecraft clone, half action RPG, DQ Builders is wholly fun and charming.

x. Inside ; A lovely romp through a micro dystopia. This game is a big step up from Limbo, which really wasn't my thing.

x. Starbound ; It's Terraria in space, but I ended up spending a good deal more time with one than I ever did with its inspiration.

x. Super Mario Run ; Small but well-crafted. I spent a surprising amount of time playing and re-playing this game for various coins, toads, and unlockable characters.

x. Shantae Half-Genie Hero ; I lucked out in the Kickstarter lottery of 2013. Shantae has a lot of charm for a relatively small game.

Gattsu25

Banned
1. Overwatch ; It’s basically a glorious return to form for people who enjoyed Team Fortress 2. It’s one of the best designed online-only FPS games I’ve ever played. Lovely and lovable characters. Fantastic use of sound - seriously, the sound in this game is stellar.
2. DOOM ; Amazing controls. Amazing music. Amazing self-deprecating style of storytelling. Very self-aware and very fun to play. This would normally be an easy pick for GOTY but the top of the line this year is stellar.
3. Dishonored 2 ; It controls great, the new abilities for Emily are amazingly well balanced (for example, her movement ability seems weaker than Dishonored 1’s at first glance until you start using your momentum to propel yourself like a goddamned rocket over the levels) which brings me to the levels. The level design in this game is the best I can think of in any of the games inspired by Thief. These levels are solid, with huge branching paths, and they are designed to accommodate just about every playstyle without appearing to do so. This is a joy to play.
4. Stardew Valley ; This is tied for being my “zen game” of 2016, however, I enjoy the minute to minute gameplay in this substantially more. Great little farming game that is equal parts Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon with a fair bit of Persona’s non-dungeon social gameplay. All with some great pixel art, a fantastic soundtrack, and a lackadaisical vibe that makes this the perfect game to lose hours to.
5. The Witness ; I really enjoyed this game and felt like an absolute madman as I was playing it. It was when I found myself cutting tetrominoes out of graphing paper with a pair of scissors that I realized that I was having a ball. While I liked this game, it didn’t offer much outside of the exploration and puzzles to edge you along. If this game had the narrative tone and push of a game like The Talos Principle it would have been perfect. PERFECT.
6. Dark Souls III ; I really enjoyed this game and played it a fair bit. While it’s no Bloodborne this game has some great bosses and levels. I enjoyed this tremendously more than the second Dark Souls. Unlike some people who found the callbacks to previous games rote or trite, I brightened up with each one as it was kindof like a game-within-a-game of identifying them and seeing how my expectations were subverted. Has a great swamp level that is perfect for invasions.
7. Abzu ; I really enjoyed this game though it didn’t have the emotional impact of others games in this style. I found the visuals a joy, loved the controls after getting used to them, and just found myself exploring each new area with a smile on my face.
8. Mafia 3 ; This was my open world combat game of 2016. It evokes a great sense of place and has some stellar gun combat.
9. Firewatch ; It’s hard to talk about this without getting into spoilers but I loved the narrative in this game. I especially loved how it resolved. Not talking about the discoveries that your character makes, talking about the fraying personalities and relationships in the game and how it all lays at the end of the game.
10. No Man’s Sky ; I usually don’t like survival games but enjoyed this one as the “survival meters” weren’t that restrictive or hard to replenish. This is my other “zen game” of 2016 and I think it’s a great game to play with a podcast playing in the background. I haven’t jumped back into the game since they added the starts of base-building and I need to rectify that.

Honorable Mentions
x. Forza Horizon 3 ; My first time playing a Forza game since I barely played through the tutorial in Forza 3. I knew the horizon games were arcadey but I expected them to be more like Need for Speed. What I wasn’t expecting was motherfucking Burnout Paradise 2 which is the closest thing I can equate this game to. I’ve barely touched this game but I loved what I did play of it.

I didn’t think I would have been able to get 10 games on this list this year. It strikes me as a year where there wasn’t a huge number of great games, but the games at the top of the list were especially strong.

I haven’t played enough Hitman, Civ, Inside, Factorio, Blood and Wine, Infinite Warfare, or Titanfall to see how good they are. Writing the short blurb for Firewatch also reminded how much I loved the ending to SOMA.

zeitgeist

Geez, I thought I would have played more from this year but guess not.

1. Final Fantasy XV ; I know that it has issues and as much as I loved it, it is hard to defend.
chapter 13 wasn't that bad.
I like the story it told but not really the way they told it but the world was beautiful and the cringey stuff from Type-0 and Lightning Returns was nowhere to be found thankfully.

2. Titanfall 2 ; This game is a blast with multiplayer and the campaign had the best 1st person platforming I've played.

3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Kind of a letdown for the final level but otherwise it was fantastic.

4. Dark Souls III ; Less infuriating than the other Dark Souls games and was nice to go back to a real souls game after playing hours of Bloodborne.

5. Gears of War 4 ; Great gunplay and it's always a good time shooting grubs.

1. The Last Guardian ; Oh my. No words for this. Yes there are technical issues with controls/camera but that didn't hold it back. Ueda's done it again. The minimalist style/philosophy at its finest. What an unforgettable amazing experience. :3

2. Uncharted 4 ; A fitting finale to the lengendary adventurer and Co. Gameplay and shooting mechanics are the best it's ever been. Doesn't need introduction..SunhiLegendRopeSwingingGrenadeLauncher.gif

3. Pokémon Moon ; My first reentry into this franchise since the GBA era. I can tell each iteration up to that point has led to this game. A wonderful mix of the old and new, it's everything magical of what I once knew of the series with fresh eyes.

Quite disappointing that puzzle games are seen as having such little value. I've seen that sentiment elsewhere.

5. The Last Door Season 2 ; Don’t let the 4-bit graphics fool you – this is one of the most atmospheric and engrossing games I’ve ever played. A follow-up to a point-and-click adventure from 2014, this game sees you further uncovering the occult mysteries of the first game. Set in a late 19th century England this game is full of mystery, parapsychology and interdimensional travel. A masterfully crafted game, exquisitely paced and directed, the sound design is fantastic, as is the brilliant soundtrack. The story follows on from the first game but manages to expand upon and wrap up what was left dangling without falling into any of the trappings of bad sequel writing. A rare thing indeed.

X. We Know the Devil ; a delightfully weird and somewhat subversive visual novel.
Somehow I totally missed The Last Door series. Just got both on iPad. They sound right up my alley

We Know the Devil seems interesting too. That title alone is intriguing

taco543

1. Final Fantasy XV; After waiting for a decade to play the game it didn't disappoint, held my attention and had a blast playing it!

2. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Blood and Wine; A DLC that offers more game than most AAA games published now of days. Phenomenal.

3. Let it Die; Suda 51 and Dark Souls? Nailed it, having a blast!

4. Ratchet and Clank; I don't think I've ever been as dedicated to Platinuming a game as I was for this game, I had such a good time and loved every minute of it, plus it looks gorgeous which doesn't hurt.

5. Enter the Gungeon; Took more of my time, than I'm willing to admit but had a blast the entire time.

6. Pokemon Sun/Moon; Great entry into the series, made enough changes to keep the game fresh but still easy to pick up for old fans.

7. Gravity Rush Remastered; Never had a chance to play this on vita but oh man I had a blast, and just can't wait for 2!

8. Hyper Light Drifter; As a backer for both this and Mighty No.9 I was scared to see what this game would be like and I am happy to say it was amazing,

9. Watch Dogs 2; Such a massive step up from the first, it was such an a welcome surprise and enjoyable ride from beginning to end.

10. Oxenfree; I had Overwatch here but after thinking long and hard, I feel the spot better belonged to a game I enjoy more often.

Dami3N

1. Uncharted 4 ; Love the game, and that endning. wow.
2. The last guardian ; Well worth the wait.
3. Ratchet and clank ; Remake thats so much better than the original
4. Final Fantasy XV ; FF back to form,
5. Street fighter ; flaws, but improving.
6. Fifa 17 ; Singlepayer campagin was a highlight.
7. Severed ; The art alone.
8. Tales of berseria ; Best tales game, since ps2.
9. The bannar saga 2 ; Vikings is awesome.
10. Valkyria Chronicles remastered ; I loved the game.

SexyFish

Banned
1. Overwatch ; This has hooked itself into me more than Team Fortress 2 ever did. Great art, characters (except Tracer), and just all around good fun.

2. The Witness ; Blow created a fantastic puzzle game. I was initially disappointed at finding out it was only line puzzles, but when I actually started playing it I fell in love. Can't wait to share with friends the iPad version when that releases.

3. Hitman ; IO you did it. Absolution can now be forgotten. Give me season 2 and a sequel to Hitman GO and all will be peachy.

4. Stardew Valley ; Abigail is best girl.

5. Doom ; DoomGuy is best boy.

silva1991

1. The Last Guardian
Oh my. No words for this. Yes there are technical issues with controls/camera but that didn't hold it back. Ueda's done it again. The minimalist style/philosophy at its finest. What an unforgettable amazing experience. ;_;

2. Uncharted 4
A fitting finale to the lengendary adventurer and Co. Gameplay and shooting mechanics are the best it's ever been. Doesn't need introduction..SunhiLegendRopeSwingingGrenadeLauncher.gif

3. Pokémon Moon
My first reentry into this franchise since the GBA era. I can tell each iteration up to that point has led to this game. A wonderful mix of the old and new, it's everything magical of what I once knew of the series with fresh eyes.

Use ; after games names.

1. The Last Guardian
Oh my. No words for this. Yes there are technical issues with controls/camera but that didn't hold it back. Ueda's done it again. The minimalist style/philosophy at its finest. What an unforgettable amazing experience. ;_;

2. Uncharted 4
A fitting finale to the lengendary adventurer and Co. Gameplay and shooting mechanics are the best it's ever been. Doesn't need introduction..SunhiLegendRopeSwingingGrenadeLauncher.gif

3. Pokémon Moon
My first reentry into this franchise since the GBA era. I can tell each iteration up to that point has led to this game. A wonderful mix of the old and new, it's everything magical of what I once knew of the series with fresh eyes.

Separate the titles and comments with a semicolon.

Kard8p3

1. Hitman ; I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time, it honestly refreshed my love for gaming, and I still have a fuck ton left to do in the game. Can't believe how quickly it became my GOTY since I've only spent the last few days playing it, but the amount of freedom and potential hidden in every level is something that evokes a child-like wonder in me. I'm certain to be spending many more hours with this gem.

2. DOOM ; I've not been into FPS games in years (minus Overwatch), but everything with this game just felt so right, which I find crazy since this looked like it was going to end up being hot garbage, but boy was I pleasantly surprised when I bought this on a whim.

3. Dishonored 2 ; the original was my GOTY when it came out, and if Hitman and DOOM hadn't come out this year, this would definitely be number one, ordering my top 3 was harder than I expected, but fuck if they all aren't top notch. Every time I pick this game up I continue to be blown away, from the level design to just how fun the powers are to use.

4. Monster Hunter Generations ; This is the most fun I've had with a Monster Hunter game since Tri, adept and aerial styles are my favorite.

5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; I'll be honest, TW3 was the first Witcher game I had ever played, and wow if I didn't sink my teeth into it. From minute 1 of this DLC that feels like a retail game it just pulls you into a breath-taking new environment, one I vastly prefer to the main game. It doesn't hurt that the vampires in The Witcher universe are cool as fuck

6. Stardew Valley ; This is the kind of game where you tell yourself "just five more minutes" and then it's suddenly 2 AM and you're wondering where your day went. It's an incredibly relaxing game that's rewarding to watch your farm grow as you progress.

7. Overwatch ; I'm horrendously bad at competitive shooters, but even so I've had a ton of fun with this game,and I've managed to not felt so useless when playing healers, plus the game has an undeniable amount of charm.

8. Hyper Light Drifter ; The art and gameplay mix so well, this and Stardew are tied for my favorite indie game

9. Firewatch ; From minute one I knew I was going to enjoy the game, its an incredibly fun journey I recommend that everyone take at least one.

10. Mafia 3 ; Though I've never played a Mafia game in the past I have to admit that this game has great tone. The characters are great and the gunplay is fun.

Nocturno999

1. Doom ; Gaming at its purest form. Frenetic, classic combat, plenty of content, amazing soundtrack. The legendary franchise's triumphant return.

2. Inside ; Unforgettable atmosphere that immediately engrosses you. Excellent pacing andd best WTF moment in years.

3. Pony Island ; This game deserves a lot more credit. Completely refreshing, smart and entertaining. With plenty of WTF moments near its end.

Sarcasm

1. Dark Souls III ; I have never been a completionist, even with the earlier ones. 75 hours I 100%. Still playing with 115+ hours. Game is engaging and doesn't get old for me.

2. Stardew Valley ; This game is always on my mind. It is pretty overwhelming at times.

3. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight ; Another Souls like game with unique characteristics (aka charm).

4. Salt & Sanctuary ; 2D Souls with salt instead of souls. With local CoOp! Bonus of no invasions.

5. Enter the Gungeon ; This game proved to me how stubborn I am, as I suck at it. Kept going though.

6. Darkest Dungeon ; This game can be a grind, but at least you yell at it. How can you dodge light!?!

7. Dirt Rally ; Souls of Racing

Vol5

1. Overwatch ; The ultimate time-sink. I'm wondering if I'll ever not play overwatch. I love the characters, the maps, the strategy and just the basic fun of it all.
2. Uncharted 4 ; After going through the game a second time on Crushing, I feel the game is even more impressive.
3. DOOM ; Balls to the wall action. On higher difficulties I felt this had a 'dark souls' mixed with 'Metroid' vibe. Sounds crazy, but when you get past a room of hell-spawn that feeling of euphoria....you then move on exploring the world and looking for cool secrets. Really hoping we see a DOOM 2 announcement this year (2017).
4. Titanfall 2 ; Wonderful MP, fantastic SP.
5. REZ Infinite ; This is being listed simply thanks to Area X on PSVR....An utterly incredible experience that truly does take you out of reality for 10 mins every time you play it.
6. The Witness ; Who'd of thunk Blow and lines would go together! Fantastic puzzle game which I'm still managing to not complete due to lack of imagination and intelligence.

patapuf

It's been a pretty good year, i haven't played everything i wanted to, but much of what i played was great.

1.XCOM2; Exellent Formula, improved in a way that promotes aggressive play.
2.Hitman; The chaos and replayability of hitman is unique, the best immersive sim in years.
3.DOOM; Finally a shooter that understands other humans aren't super interesting to fight.
4.Fire Emblem Fates; The conquest route is the best gameplay the series has had so far.
6.Dishonored 2;
5.Homeworld:Deserts of Kharak; Most atmospheric RTS since the original Ground Control.
7.Overwatch
8.Deus Ex Mankind Divided
9.Total War: Warhammer; haven't played enough or it would probably be higher.
10.Phoenix Whight: Spirits of Justice

Kouichi

1. Overwatch ; This is the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played. The characters, the art style, the gameplay, the classes, the abilities, the modes, the costumes, the lootboxes I love EVERYTHING. This is such a well made game, and I know I'll be playing for MANY years to come.

2. Final Fantasy XV ; After 10 years, the Final Fantasy I've always wanted finally released and completely delivered on all the aspects that got me interested all those years ago. It may have some glaring flaws, but the crazy fun gameplay and lovable main cast are done so well that it easily outweighs them. I almost didn't buy this game given its troubled development cycle and my own distaste of playing long JRPGS these days. Now I've put in 74 hours with a platinum trophy and I'm still craving for more!

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice ; As with every game in this fantastic series, this is just another entry with a great story, a fun cast of quirky characters, and a ton of logical challenges.

4. Star Fox Zero ; It was great to see one of my all time favorite Nintendo series go back to the roots that made it such a memorable game in the first place. There's no doubt that the gamepad gameplay has some big flaws but even so, Zero still managed to capture a lot of what I loved about the series and introduce new ideas that really improved on the core gameplay of 64.

1. The Last Guardian; Game of the generation without a doubt for me, immersive at its finest , level design, art, animation, and Trico is so real.

2. Final Fantasy XV; been waiting a long, it has a lot of flags, but it's really enjoyable overall.

3. Dishonored 2; Most immersive universe, and unique gameplay.

4. Ratchet & Clank; best cgi?

5. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth; turn based rpg and digimon, you can't go wrong. A good story overall

6. Pokémon Sun/Moon; Haven't played one since ruby, it feels really refreshed, but same formula.

7. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright; First of the series I played, really liked it.

8. World of Final Fantasy; Good spin off, really liked the ability to combine beasts.

9. Hitman; total freedom in how to do the missions.

10. Uncharted 4; awesome, but not the best in the series.

Honorable mentions:

x. Playroom VR; relly fun with friends.

Question: is the space to the left and right of the semicolon important for the post to count? Because I see so many people doing it this way:

1. Game; Text

instead of

1. Game ; Text

Just do it like in the OP's post.

so

1. GAME ; TEXT

I hope neither of you just wiped your own ballot, but posting numbered lists outside of quotes like this does add more junk data to clean up.

To answer, no. Spacing does not matter.

Krecik

1. Dragon's Dogma ; The best Action RPG of all times, fast combat, good character building, amazing boss fights.
2. Divinity: Original Sin ; If not for DD this would be my number 1. I can't wait for the sequel, that turn based interactive combat is simply fantastic
3. Stardew Valley ; A lot of hours put into this one. Amazingly relaxing, serene experience.
4. Sid Meier's Civilization VI ; Another good Civ game, the addition of districts really shakes things up
5. Overwatch ; It may not be the best game, but I still put 100+ hours into it. Can be fun, can be incredibly annoying, but that's the way it works with MP games.
6. Doom ; Oh, it's been a long time since I've played such a fun, fast shooter. More!
7. XCOM 2 ; I don't think it's as good as the first one, especially given the mechs from the first one's expansion, but it's still pretty good.
8. Final Fantasy XV ; Playing it roght now and loving it, except for those long drives. Well, at least I had time to finish reading Dune while Ignis was driving me around
9. Superhot ; Now that's a new kind of slow-paced shooter, had a lot of fun with it. That whole meta-game didn't really tickle my fancy, but oh well, the gameplay makes up for it.

spats

1. Final Fantasy XV ; A long wait, but it was totally worth it for me. Many flaws, but the game still manages to shine despite all of them.

2. Uncharted 4 ; Amazing craftsmanship through and through. Enjoyed it from start to finish.

Grief.exe

Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible. Therefore, this is the only year that Kerbal Space Program will be eligible for the overall GOTY ranking.

Kerbal left Early Access in 2015 though

"The game was officially released out of beta on April 27, 2015"

Patch13

1. The Last Guardian ; Its imperfections simply do not matter; this is a trust and an emotional connection simulator between a you and something else: a creature; an AI; a waking dream. It works, and it stands apart from pretty much everything that has come before, or will possibly come after.

2. Pokémon Go ; I went for a walk in a city park the weekend that this came out. And there were women and men of every age and of every race doing the telltale little pause, scan, and flick. For the next few weeks, my neighborhood suddenly had teenagers, emerging from their bedrooms, escaping from their scheduled extracurriculars, roaming the streets looking for pocket monsters. The game may not be the most amazing mechanically, but it created a genuine cultural Happening.

3. Assault Android Cactus ; In the best indie tradition, this game takes a somewhat neglected genre and puts a refreshing and original mechanical spin on it. The mechanics reward (even require) the sort of guns blazing, caution-to-the-wind play that you'd want out of this sort of game, even when you're going for Platinum. Plus, the characters are full of energy and sass, and it has excellent couch coop. Sadly, it looks better in motion than it does in screenshots, which might be why it's not in more people's top ten.

4. Crypt of the Necrodancer ; DDR is great, but ultimately is about rote memorization. Classic roguelikes are great, but the best strategy is often to lure enemies into a choke point, which gets old. Crypt of the Necrodancer fixes both of these problems with one ridiculous genre mash of a game.

5. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime ; a game about piloting a pink Millennium Falcon with good friends/family/lovers. Cute, difficult, rewarding.

6. Overwatch ; darn solid shooter. The characters are fun and I like the lack of grim and grit in the aesthetics.

7. Severed ; really good bloody revenge simulator, with stunning aesthetics and tight mechanics.

8. Super Mario Run ; I was impressed with how well this translated the feel of a Mario game into the format of an auto runner. There's something about the timing of the goomba stomps that just felt right.

9. Pokkén Tournament ; a great little fighting game.

10. Star Fox Zero ; This game captures that feeling of barreling down the Death Star trench while desperately fiddling with your targeting computer. A lot of people did not want this feeling, and I can understand why: Obi Wan says that using the force is easier. But I had a lot of fun with it.

I mean, puzzle games being a) worth $60 and b) really really good isn't the newest thing. Portal 2 won GAF GOTY in 2011 after all. The Witness is my #1 as well, and it's worth the asking price by pretty much any metric (it's at least 20 hours long, if you want to go by a price-to-hours ratio thing).

rdytoroll

uAzn6bw.png

1. Uncharted 4 ; A game I have been waiting for since I bought my PS4 in 2014. And oh boy, it didn't disappoint at all. In fact, it's the best game of the year, it's an absolute accomplishment in writing and acting, boasting some of the best scenes playing out between virtual characters. It features fun gameplay, beautiful locations and one of the best video game stories with a beautiful ending. Each scenario is perfectly crafted giving you just enough room to use stealth or going in like Rambo and using the environment to your advantage. It's Naughty Dog's masterpiece and who thought they could top The Last of Us? But they did it.

v3O0D8u.png

2. Dark Souls III ; What is there left to say about this series? From Software did it again. It doesn't quite reach the heights of Bloodborne and its DLC, but Dark Souls III is a perfectly crafted end to the series with some of the best bosses and locations in the series.

vlvNCaH.png

3. Overwatch ; This game released and pretty much consumed all my free time for a few weeks. I loved playing with the NeoGaf community every day till I kinda got burned out from playing too much. Even though I haven‘t played in months it's still in my Top 3 because it was an amazing time and the most fun I had with a multiplayer game this year. Probably the biggest surprise of the year for me.

gaXxblC.png

4. Total War: Warhammer ; I love strategy games and this is the best one released this year. It's the first foray of the Total War series into the fantasy genre and they absolutely nailed it. What's better than going into large scale battles with a dwarfen army and slaughtering orcs? Nothing. Total War: Warhammer is the fantasy strategy game I always dreamt of having.

AajgxgE.png

5. Inside ; Inside oozes style. Every scene has so much detail in the background it's astonishing. The puzzles are smart and they change it up just enough so it never gets boring during the 3 hours of playtime. And that ending... My indie game of the year.

cmj71OJ.png

6. Battlefield 1 ; I'm a big fan of FPS games set in a historical setting and Battlefield 1 is no exception. It features a great campaign, has an amazing score, is an absolute looker and the multiplayer is as good as ever.

UkqovtD.png

7. Titanfall 2 ; I didn't expect the singleplayer campaign to be that good. I think nobody really did. It's smart, epic and just fun to play through. The multiplayer is nothing to scoff at either.

x4BcVxj.png

8. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; I really liked it. A lot. The story is nothing special, but the game makes up for it with its amazing setting and fun tomb raiding.

EcUAWef.png

9. World of Warcraft: Legion ; World of Warcraft is the kind of game I can play every day for 2 months and then I'm done with it for another year. Legion brought me back to the game big time and I loved playing with friends again.

7jvF92m.png

10. Doom ; Rip and tear.

Top Bottom