• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

It's time! Welcome to the official voting thread for GAF's Games of the Year 2016.

Your hosts are timetokill and I, joined by newcomer ASilentProtagonist. The official rules and sample ballot are below.
If you do not follow the rules, your vote may not be counted. You have been warned.

2016 Voting Rules

Y3PO1Sd.png

• You must have at least one comment in your ballot or it may not be counted. The comment must be more substantial than "GOTF lol" or what have you. Posting without comments may also subject you to a ban. Do NOT post a ballot without any comments, as most people don't remember to come back and add them.
  • Comments on games must begin on the same line as the game title itself, following a semicolon (;) Not a hyphen. Not a dash. Not a slash. Not a space. Not a period. A semicolon.
  • You may vote for any playable content released in 2016.
  • The current spreadsheet of nominated games can be found here.
  • You may list up to 10 games for your ballot. The games must be numbered, and consecutively listed in numerical order from 1 to 10.
  • Games must be listed using their full title. Abbreviated entries will not be counted. Copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet to be sure.
  • You may list any number of honorable mentions in your ballot, and these must be indicated by an "x."
  • No "reserving" posts to hold your ballot later. This just clogs up the thread with wasted space and ensures that fewer people will actually see your list. Such posts will disqualify your ballot, even if edited in later.
    [*]No posting unofficial, preliminary results. This may influence the voting.
Voting Ends: Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 5:59am PST / 8:59am EST. No extensions. No exceptions. Here's a countdown clock and here are worldwide times.

Sample Ballot
Ready to vote? Get started quickly by copying and pasting the ballot below into your reply.
To ensure the parser correctly tabulates your ballot, please follow this format as closely as possible. Don't actually post "Game A" or "Your thoughts on Game A," etc.

1. Game A ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Game B ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Game E ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.

Honorable Mentions
x. Game K ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game K.
x. Game L ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game L.

Ballot Scoring
Note that while all points will be tallied, only NEW playable content will be eligible for GOTY and Genre Award consideration.
All content is eligible for Platform Award consideration. Rereleases, ports, and other content will be awarded in their own category.

1. Game A ; 4 points
2. Game B ; 3 points
3. Game C ; 3 points
4. Game D ; 2 points
5. Game E ; 2 points
6. Game F ; 2 points
7. Game G ; 1 point
8. Game H ; 1 point
9. Game I ; 1 point
10. Game J ; 1 point
x. Game K ; 0 points
x. Game L; 0 points

Honorable mentions will not receive points, but they will be tracked and used for tiebreakers, assuming you list them appropriately.

----- Game Eligibility Rules -----

Eligible games:

• Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny: The Taken King is eligible. Horse Armor is not.
  • Episodes of games released this year are eligible.

Queried Eligible Games: Dragon's Dogma (PC re-release), Kerbal Space Program (PS4/XB1 only), Lumines (mobile)
Queried Ineligible Games: AM2R, Paragon (beta)

----- FAQ -----

Is (insert game here) eligible?
1. First, check the spreadsheet list of eligible nominated games. Note that this list isn't exhaustive, but if it's on there, you're good.
2. Not on there? Check the confirmed eligible and ineligible games listed above.
3. If a game you want isn't listed there either, and you're SURE about it, just post it in your ballot. We'll automatically add it to the list. If you're not sure, shoot me or timetokill or ASilentProtagonist a PM and we'll get it sorted out.

Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible. Therefore, this is the only year that Kerbal Space Program will be eligible for the overall GOTY ranking.

Can I talk about somebody else's list?
Discussion is encouraged! Want to talk about another poster’s list? Quote it. Any unquoted ballots (those outside a quote block) will overwrite your own previous vote.

Can I use images in my ballot? I want it to be BEAUTIFUL!
Absolutely you can, but all numbering and formatting must happen as indicated in the sample ballot above, meaning your numbers cannot be within the image itself. Here are some examples of beautiful, rule-abiding ballots from the past: NotLiquid, JDHarbs, TheVisualizer.

My ballot is too long! Can I split it into two posts?
You should NOT split your ballot into two, because the parser won't read it correctly. What you should do is make sure that your "official" list is somewhere in your posts, and that the rest does not conflict. For example, check Dark Schala's short novel from 2013's voting. The official ballot is appropriately listed at the end.

I want to change my list. Do I have to make a new post?
No, you can simply edit your original vote up until the deadline.

My ballot was disqualified! Why?
Most likely, you didn't follow the rules above. What you probably did: You didn't number things correctly. You didn't write any comments. You listed the same game more than once. You didn't follow the formatting rules.

Can I order my list from 10 to 1?
Yes, but this may increase the chances of you accidentally skipping a place and invalidating your ballot.

OMG what about Final Fantasy XV and Dark Souls III? Lots of people are using Arabic numerals. Will they be counted?
We'll be fairly lenient on variations, but the only way to guarantee that your vote will be counted is to copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet. But again, just because a game isn't listed doesn't mean you can't vote for it if you're sure it's a 2016 title. Just use the most complete and official title available.

Steins;Gate has a semicolon in its title! What do I do?
It's the one game title that uses a semicolon. We're using that character as a delimiter, so it's not included in the title here. If you use a semicolon in that title, it'll turn out as "Steins" and it won't get sorted automatically. So, don't use a semicolon in that title. Use it as a delimiter.

When will the results be posted?
As soon as is possible given the copy-paste technology at our disposal. Last year it took 20 minutes. This year, it may be difficult to beat that time.

Happy voting, everyone!

1. Dark Souls III ; the best game in the Dark Souls trilogy. It has refined all of the mechanics introduced so far, in one impeccable package.

2. Dragon Quest Builders ; it mixes the creation aspect of Minecraft with the trappings on an adventure and RPG game. A fantastic experience.

3. Doom ; arguably the most important FPS since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It successfully recreates the spirit of the original Doom inside a modern presentation. An achievement. I hope upcoming FPSes take inspiration from it for years to come.

4. The Last Guardian ; I was sure this game would turn out disappointing, but I was proved wrong. It offers a beautiful story full of emotions and satisfying puzzles and platforming.

5. Uncharted 4 ; while the enemy encounters are a little less elaborate than those of its predecessors, it still gives us a thrilling roller-coaster ride of action, drama, comedy and fun. It also has one of the best endings in any video game.

6. Resident Evil 5 Remastered ; this game was my game of the last generation, and seven years later, it is still absolutely fantastic to play. Probably the best coop experience ever.

7. Titanfall 2 ; while the campaign is a bit short, it is jam-packed with invention and thrills. But what makes this game stand apart from the pack is the sheer polish of the gameplay mechanics, mainly movement and shooting. Probably unmatched by any shooter ever.

8. Valkyria Chronicles Remastered ; one of my favorite games of the last generation. There's nothing quite like it. A mix of RPG and strategy, with a full-on anime story and great characters.

9. Shadow Complex Remastered ; this game is sadly one of the few reminders that the Metroidvania genre is underpopulated.

10. Hitman ; the best Hitman game yet, a refinement of everything that has been offered since the first entry.

Yes, see the rules.

Read the OP.

No "reserving" posts to hold your ballot later. This just clogs up the thread with wasted space and ensures that fewer people will actually see your list. Such posts will disqualify your ballot, even if edited in later.
Lmao oops, anyway here comes an actual post with substance.

Is the dragon's dogma pc port eligble? Didn't see it on the spreadsheet and unsure.

OP's sample "this is how to make beautiful posts" just reminded me how killer 2014 was: Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight, Alien Isolation, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Wolfenstein New Order...whew.

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II ; By the end of the game, I could not stop wishing it's not over. Game is without its flaws, but it is one that gave me the deliverance and resonance of a storyline ongoing for the past decade, ever since I first played Zero no Kiseki all those years back.
2. The Last Guardian ; The most intimate and most epic game this year. An adventure distilled down to its core of a friendship between a boy and a beast, there is few games as powerful as The Last Guardian.
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; If UC1 was the foundation, UC2 the completeness, UC3 the bombast, then UC4 is its resonance point. It's the game that gave me the character arcs and emotional end I looked for in the ending of a saga. The fact that chapter 13 is probably my favourite chapter of em all speaks all it needs to speak of why UC4 is one of my favourite games this year.
4. Stardew Valley ; Stardew manages to take the best of HM and RG and combine them into a strong, compelling package of an endearing farming simulator that delivers the 2nd or 3rd best HM experience of all.
5. Titanfall 2 ; One of the best made shooters of the past few years that understands the strength and diversity of its mechanics, from its tight gunplay, maneuverability and the Titan/Pilot mechanic to deliver a well-designed campaign that never slouches.
6. Overwatch ; One of the best multiplayer shooters of the past decade, one that delivers the vision of a rich character set with gameplay and mechanics that is fun, appealing and unique.
7. Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers ; The continued culmination of a journey that takes me to the grand world of SRW and its endearing cast of characters as it plays through the peaks of valleys of a real/super robot mecha anime with the best cast in robot gaming.
8. Dark Souls 3 ; The greatest hits of Souls. A really strong entry to cap off the franchise as it remembers the strengths of the franchise's legacy and achievements, even if it doesn't hit the peaks of Demon's, Dark and Bloodborne.
9. Ratchet & Clank ; One of my biggest surprise this year, and the most fun shooter this year behind only Overwatch. A game that defies its budget price point to deliver an amazing R&C experience in 2016.
10. DOOM ; The best action shooter of the past 5 or so years, and one of the surprises for 2016. Intense, voracious and an amazing adaption of the DOOM formula for current gen, weaving in fast movement, melee and diverse gunplay in great combat arenas with well-designed enemies.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Graphics, story, gameplay are the best of the series, great send off of Nathan Drake and co.
2. Titanfall 2 ; I don't think I had more fun with a first person shooter, ever. Great SP campaign, very good MP. Favourite FPS of the year.
3. Dark Souls III ; Honestly, not my favourite Souls game, pretty forgettable, but it just shows how good this series or games are, given on where it landed on my list.
4. Deus Ex: Makind Divided ; Good stealth game, neat side stories, weak main story and last mission. Twist has me shook.
5. Doom ; Also an awesome FPS second half is weaker than first half, a bit too long and the mp is straight up garbage.
6. Batman: The Telltale Series ; Pretty good twist on Batman/Bruce Wayne, gives you the choice of acting as Batman.
7. Firewatch ; I very much enjoyed the characters, loved the world, the mystery, although the ending felt a bit flat, but maybe that's life.
8. Ratchet & Clank ; very polished game, writing is well done, looking forward to future games.
9. Tom Clancy’s The Division ; Yes, that game came out this year and I was addicted to it, although it had a lot of weaknesses, which by now, are nearly gone and it has some awesome new modes.
10. Final Fantasy XV ; lots of awful stuff in this game, but I kept coming back. Just barely managed to get on this list.

FFXV and Dishonered will be on that list, where, I need to finish them first.

I don't know if I can finish TLG before the deadline.

wapplew

1. The Last Guardian; game of the generation without a doubt, level design, music, sound design, art, animation, video game at the finest.
2. Thumper; pure adrenaline rush.
3. Uncharted 4; not ND best but best send off for a series.
4. Overwatch; best feel good game with friends. Let my inner support role shine.
5. Inside; art, sound, animation, environment story telling...up there with TLG.
6. Civ 6; where's my time go.
7. Shadow Tactics; great level design, good story, characters can be more different.
8. Tethered; PSVR owner must try this, God simulator work well in VR.
9. Street Fighter 5; getting rusty with fighting game but still tons of fun play with my friend.
10. PES2017; welcome back winning eleven.

Honorable mentions:
x. Playroom VR; most fun video game my family had all year.
x. Abzu; too similar to journey.
x. Witness; can't finish it because I have motion sickness playing it but what I played is pretty good.
x. Zero time dilemma; not the best in the series and the twist felt forced.

This thread just serves as a reminder of all the 2016 games I have unplayed. Didn't fare much better than 2015 but at least I'll have a bunch to play for the rest of my holiday vacation.

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
2. The Last Guardian
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
4. Stardew Valley
5. Titanfall 2
6. Overwatch
7. Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers
8. Dark Souls 3
9. Ratchet & Clank
10. DOOM

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

1; The Last Guardian
2; Thumper
3; Uncharted 4
4; Overwatch
5; Inside
6; Civ 6
7; Abzu
8; Shadow Tactics
9; Tethered
10; Street Fighter 5

Honorable mentions:
Playroom VR, PES2017.

You must have at least one comment in your ballot or it may not be counted.

Nasreddin

1. Inside ; A masterpiece with unusual attention to detail.
2. No Man's Sky ; All my space exploration dreams come true.
3. Thumper ; The game's tagline 'Rhythm Violence' is a huge understatement.
4. The Last Guardian ; Never before was an AI figure so alive.
5. Batman: Arkham VR ; THE benchmark VR game. 120% immersion.
6. The Witness ; Line puzzles on an island sound like a stupid idea. But it all works out.
7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A new milestone for pacing in action games.
8. Asemblance ; Touching story about what really matters in life.
9. Pony Island ; Biggest surprise in 2016.
10. ABZÛ ; This is no Journey, but still an extremely enjoyable world to explore.
x. Oxenfree ;
x. Doom ;
x. ADR1FT ;
x. Rez Infinite ;
x. Firewatch ;

1. The Last Guardian ; Ueda has, to date, compeleted a trilogy of games that while not technically perfect, do everything to make a world that is both enjoyable to exist in and engaging as a player.
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Naughty Dog, again, managed to create something truly special from a technical, storytelling and gameplay point of view, especially given the internal issues the studio faced while the game was under development.

Honorable Mentions
x. Pokémon Go ; Despite the limitations of the game, hence why I refuse to put it on the list, anything that gets people out and active needs some sort of praise.

I'm still working out my list... because I haven't really played a lot from this year.... Half-Genie Hero, Amplitude, Gravity Rush Remastered and a few others will make the list, need to mull on it though.

1.Ratchet and clank; Game was a masterfully crafted ratchet and clank game

2.Final fantasy XV; most hours I've spent on a game this year easily.

3.Uncharted 4; A GREAT conclusion to an epic series naughty dog does it again

4.Digimon cyber sleuth; Reinvigorated my love for turn based games

5.Watch dogs 2; such a drastic improvement over the first I'm still having major fun with it in co op

6.The last guardian; A beautifully crafted tale that I'll never forget

Apples_89

1. Uncharted 4; This was the perfect end cap to one of my favorite series.

2. Battlefield 1; The game I've been waiting for since Bad Company 2.

3. Mafia 3; Sure, there are some pacing issues and unnecessary repetition, but the overarching story beats and moment-to-moment gunplay was so satisfying that I can overlook almost anything negative about this game.

4. Far Cry Primal; Such a refreshing take on the series. This is one of the few Ubisoft titles which has just the right amount of open world busy-work without feeling overwhelming and tedious. A very underappreciated title and one which shouldn't be overlooked!

5. Dark Souls 3; Coming off of Bloodborne (Top 5 GOAT), this was my first serious foray into the Souls series. Some of the obtuse side missions detracted from the overall experience for me, but beating The Nameless King solo was one of my most satisfying gaming accomplishments all year.

6. Dishonored 2; The game with most immersive setting and art direction this year. If it wasn't for the game-breaking bug I hit on the last boss, this would have made my Top 5.

7. Doom; Such an amazing and triumphant return for the series. Send me to hell, but I actually thought the multiplayer was fun and I found myself returning to it often during the months after release.

8. Titanfall 2; What an exhilarating game, and a great campaign too. Pitch-perfect controls and seamless gameplay transitions mean that each multiplayer match gets the blood pumping in a way few shooters can achieve.

9. Gears of War 4; The start was rough, but every chapter was better than the last. And that end twist...

10. Firewatch; Beautiful visuals and a great story from start to finish. I found myself thinking about this game often throughout the year.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

x. Inside; From an objective standpoint, this is one of the best games of the year.

x. Hitman; Episodic gaming done right.

x. Abzu; Some of the most memorable imagery in any game I played this year.

Will be updating for sure as I finish off a few more games but this is what I've got for now. A lot of the big holiday games I haven't finished yet. Will add my thoughts as well when I get a chance.

1. Overwatch ; The best multiplayer game I've experienced in years. A huge diverse cast of characters from both a gameplay as well as art style aesthetic. Beautifully polished with no 2 matches feeling the same.

2. Dark Souls 3
3. Titanfall 2
4. Gears of War 4
5. Uncharted 4

Gaenor

Banned
1. Battlefield 1 ; Almost everything I hoped a Battlefield game would be. The only game in this list along with Skyrim that I'll play on a regular basis for a long time.

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition ; Never played any of the DLC, and barely remember anything about the game anyway. Not on the same level as Morrowind, but a lot better than Oblivion.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition ; Looks like a moving painting, plays like a dream. My favorite Microsoft game yet this gen.

4. Steep ; As an avid snowboarder, this game is a godsend.

5. Forza Horizon 3 ; Much more varied than the last iteration. Pure fun.

6. The Witness ; Very clever puzzle game wrapped in a stylish presentation.

7. Ratchet & Clank ; First R&C game for me. What a great action-platformer with awesome graphics.

8. The Last Guardian ; There's something about Ueda's games that is mesmerizing. This one is no exception.

9. Dishonored 2 ; Never played the first one. Awesome game with a multitude of ways to play.

10. Dirt Rally ; At last a good rally simulator.

Edit: Final ranking, Steep grew on me much more than I anticipated !

ethomaz

Banned
Most people here seems to not read the OP... these choices won't count for the results lol

Nightengale, wapplew, Apples_89 and Moon Presence needs to fix their posts.

1. Uncharted 4
2. Battlefield 1
3. Mafia 3
4. Far Cry Primal
5. Dark Souls 3
6. Dishonored 4
7. Doom
8. Gears of War 4
9. Titanfall 2
10. Firewatch

Will be updating for sure as I finish off a few more games but this is what I've got for now. A lot of the big holiday games I haven't finished yet. Will add my thoughts as well when I get a chance.

1. Overwatch
2. Dark Souls 3
3. Gears of War 4
4. Uncharted 4

1. Out of the Park Baseball 17 ; The most comprehensive, detailed, accurate sports simulation ever made, also makes for one hell of a fun GAF league.

2. DOOM ; A game with a soundtrack so great it'll be played every year until I die.

3. Sid Meier's Civilization VI ; After some stumbles, Civ is put right back on track with VI.

4. Ratchet & Clank ; Stunning visuals and a true return to form for the character platformer.

5. Titanfall 2 ; Respawn gets back to making a single player campaign worthy of making the top 10 games of the year list, even if one disregards multiplayer.

6. Overwatch ; In a world of progression FPS, Overwatch's return to simple team based multiplayer gameplay was a breath of fresh air.

7. Hue ; Criminally under recognized 2d puzzler with a clever chroma mechanic.

8. Headlander ; Great style brought to the Metroidvania genre, falls apart a bit near the end, but a great ride and great sound.

9. Dishonored 2 ; Polished UI and creative world building make Dishonored 2 stand out.

10. Event[0] ; Lost on a derelict space station, the player is forced to work with an AI that becomes more alive the longer the game is played, an achievement.

1. The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine ; One of the best games ever made gets one of the best expansions ever made. Truly a delight for fans of the books in particular who get to reunite with fan favorite Regis and visit Toussaint in all its glory. A fantastic closing chapter for Geralt.
2. Uncharted 4 ; As a huge Uncharted fan this was a very satisfying conclusion for the story of these characters and I will miss them dearly. 2016 is the year we say goodbye to both Nathan Drake and Geralt of Rivia, but at least they go out in style.
3. Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse ; A sequel that improves on pretty much every issue I had with the previous game, which was already a brilliant rpg.
4. Doom ; It would've benefitted from being shorter since it becomes pretty repetitive towards the end but it provides adrenaline like few others.
5. Gravity Rush Remastered ; Maybe the best remastering effort ever, the tremendous boost in visuals combines with a smooth 60fps to elevate the original experience to new heights.
6. Resident Evil 0 ; Another fantastic remaster, very underrated entry in this iconic franchise.
7. The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 2 ; Falcom's fantastic world building, great music and battle system make this a must for jrpg fans.
8. The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel ; Falcom's fantastic world building, great music and battle system make this a must for jrpg fans.
9. XCOM 2 ; Tough as nails, just how I like'em.
10. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen ; A fantastic rpg with superb gameplay.

I'm aware but we have quite a while to finish voting. I have to come back and work on my list anyways as I finish games like Watch Dogs 2 and FFXV and TLG. I'll be posting full thoughts on all of them.

raven777

1. Persona 5 ; Most fun I had in JRPG since PS2 era.
2. The Last Guardian ; Such an emotional game, and Trico is lovely
3. Dark Souls III ; same formula but still very fun Souls game.
4. Overwatch ; Very rare that I enjoy multiplayer shooter
5. Yakuza: Kiwami ; great remake of the first Yakuza game with lots of improvements.

haikira

4a1c5d3905.png

1. DOOM ; It's tough to wax lyrical when so many others have done a better job than I ever could, and there's even the neat documentary from Noclip that says all there really needs to be said. Keeping it concise, all I'll say is DOOM respects the player's time, it's an incredibly polished game, and it's one exhilarating decent into hell.
2. Titanfall 2
3. Dishonored 2 ; The biggest compliment I can pay this game, is that even with almost all HUD elements disabled it provides enough information, context, and smart design, that it's a totally viable option. The game is masterfully constructed, with situational context subtly conveyed to the player, and no area feels like filler.

4. Uncharted 4
5. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
6. Hyper Light Drifter

7. Superhot
8. Batman: The Telltale Series
9. Firewatch

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

x. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
x. Dying Light: The Following
x. Tom Clancy's The Division
x. Final Fantasy XV
x. Gears of War 4
x. Overcooked

ironcreed

Banned
1. Dark Souls III ; The same classic formula that needs a new direction, but one that is still one of my favorites ever.
2. Uncharted 4 ; Beautiful and fitting end to a beloved franchise.
3. Titanfall 2 ; A campaign that feels like a Valve game and some of the best multiplayer ever.
4. DOOM ; Amazing campaign that makes you feel like the Hulk on steroids in hell, with a beastly arsenal at your disposal.
5. Far Cry Primal ; A fresh take on a classic series. Very overlooked.
6. Battlefield 1 ; Some of the best production values in a shooter ever. I also love the weighty feel of the weapons and the tone of the WW1 setting, which they nailed.

I'm aware but we have quite a while to finish voting. I have to come back and work on my list anyways as I finish games like Watch Dogs 2 and FFXV and TLG. I'll be posting full thoughts on all of them.

Most people don't remember to come back and add them.

1. Dark Souls III
2. Uncharted 4
3. Titanfall 2
4. DOOM
5. Far Cry: Primal
6. Battlefield 1

AHA-Lambda

Are the following allowed?

Danganronpa 1 & 2 (first released on PC this year)
Steins Gate and Umineko (both first available now on Steam this year, not sure if they're the first official English releases on PC or not)

Just cos I don't see them in the spreadsheet

Edit: rephrased question after rereading the OP :/

1. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth ; SMT esque quick paced battles and levelling across a wide cast of digital monsters. Everything about the monster collecting and evolving was fast an addictive, like a mobile gaming formula but without the paywall. So much micromanagement of teams and reserve teams, an incredible soundtrack, impressive post-launch support with free DLC and a story that wasn't bad either.

2. Overwatch ; It got me interested in a genre I've never had an inclination towards which is a huge achievement. Its stand out feature for me was the exciting and colourful cast of characters providing so much variety in gameplay styles, it's hard to ever get sick of this game when each character feels so different in their role.

3. Final Fantasy XV ; It wasn't what I dreamed but it showed some signs of genius that the series has been lacking in since the PS2 days. An "incomplete" masterpiece is definitely an appropriate description.

4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; Perhaps the finest Turn Battle System I've seen since FFX. With some excellent J-Pop sprinkled on top to sweeten the deal.

5. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II ; Beautiful combination of combat and social aspects with an intriguing cast of characters. The next best thing to Persona 5 we've seen this year and the PS3's swansong.

6. Stardew Valley ; A Harvest Moon clone but one which took the best parts of the classic early entries of the franchise and modernised them. Vastly superior to more recent HM efforts.

7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A supreme game and the best in the series, perhaps its fatigue in the concept as to why I don't value it higher. The ending was impressive and not what I was expecting.

8. Pokémon Sun/Moon ; Given the year thats in it I felt a resurgence in my poke fever and this arrived just at the right time.

9. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright ; Not a fan of the business model but the 3 segments of the game all met the usual high standards set by the series.

10. Ratchet & Clank ; A simplified but most welcome adaptation in the under represented platforming genre. Thankfully much better than the movie.

Most people don't remember to come back and add them.

Oh I understand you giving the warning for sure. I'll remember though as my list is still so incomplete due to me catching up on holiday titles. I'll add my thoughts on the above games later today if you'd like.

Cheers!

Endo Punk

7. The deadly tower of monsters
6. Let it Die
5. Aqua moto racing Utopia
4. The last guardian
3. Wild Guns Reloaded
2. Uncharted 4
1. Street Fighter V ; Lack of arcade mode aside I enjoyed the game from day 1 and really appreciated getting Ingame currency the more I played to unlock new content. Bought 3 characters and 3 stages without paying a penny. The game has been incredibly well supported and it looks to continue in the new year. Real fun times playing online and also versus with friends and family. Best SF since CvSNK 2001.

Top Bottom