• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2008

Esch

Banned
xabre said:
The games that should of won didn't because the majority of people voting in these contests vote for the same old Japanese franchise titles regardless of their quality or what else may be better.

dude why are you still going :lol :lol :lol

WinFonda

xabre said:
The games that should of won didn't because the majority of people voting in these contests vote for the same old Japanese franchise titles regardless of their quality or what else may be better.
There's only 2 Japanese developed games in the top 10, yo!

Dre

timetokill said:
I would like to submit myself as a candidate for compiling next year's GAF GOTY awards.

I'd do it with an Excel spreadsheet, and I'd put together some more stats and different awards, such as Most Love/Hate Game for the game that got more #1 votes and also complete omissions, etc. I'd also keep track of some other stats that I think up later (or any suggestions).

That said, great work AniHawk :) Thanks a ton for doing this for so many years.
Why next year ? You could do those additional awards with the results of this year's GOTY thread ... or am I missing the point ?

Oh and :lol at xabre, the Metal Gear Solid Touch meltdown continues.

pulga

Banned
xabre said:
HL2 over MGS3 by a mile.
RE4 absolutely.
Oblivion over Zelda - TP.
Orange Box over Mario Galaxy (but have no probs with Mario Galaxy winning, it's extremely good).
Fallout 3 over MGS4.

How the fuck did HL2 not win '04?

And holy hell GAF, not one single "Best Movie of the Year" joke yet? You're growing up.

Dre said:
Why next year ? You could do those additional awards with the results of this year's GOTY thread ... or am I missing the point ?

Oh and :lol at xabre, the Metal Gear Solid Touch meltdown continues.

AniHawk said he won't be doing this next year, and we'll need a replacement. That's why :)

And yeah, I could do it with this year's too, but it would be easier to do it as votes come in.

Oooohhhhhhh the butthurt

MGS4 at 1 and LBP at 2 is the only way. And the voting did compel me to finally go for Valkyria Chronicles full price, I'm happy.

Dre

timetokill said:
AniHawk said he won't be doing this next year, and we'll need a replacement. That's why :)

And yeah, I could do it with this year's too, but it would be easier to do it as votes come in.
Well I guess that makes sense.

Tain

Wellp, what can I say?

Y'all have awful taste.

Dead Space, Fable II, Brawl, all over Mirror's? Rez HD is in the top 50? IIDX doesn't even flicker on the top rhythm games? I'm the only person that voted for Fantasy Zone 2?

I don't like you guys.

VALIS

DanteFox said:
Sure GAF's biased. But at least their biases (on games at least) are EXTREMELY well educated. GAF is known as the elites of the gaming industry/community, so you can be sure whatever their GOTY is gonna be very good.

:lol To whom, where? GAF is largely a bunch of Japan-obsessed teenagers and college kids.

Delio

Interesting top ten. While predictable what can you do they are good games and earned their place. I'm more Happy Persona 4 got PS2 game of the year. (Not that it had much to compete with).

Kritz

Banned
I really need to get a PS3, apparently. The only current console (Besides the DS) I don't own.

Too bad it's $300 more than what I'd consider paying for it. :\

Knox

I'm surprised that MGS4 won by such a large margin, this year seemed too wide open for that kind of blow out. I guess seeing as MGS3 beat HL2 I shouldn't be too surprised though. The dude complaining about japanese games does kinda have a point, maybe next year rest of the world! (Then again I put Metal Gear at #4, so I'm part of the problem)
119. Condemned 2: Bloodshot - 38
This is pretty disappointing to me considering how well Dead Space did. People should try it!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Great work on this, thanks for doing it for so many years.

AniHawk said:
Platforming Game of the Year: LittleBigPlanet (Playstation 3)
http://i40.tinypic.com/2rxdz6e.jpg[IMG]

2. Braid (Xbox 360)
3. Mirror’s Edge (Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
4. Bionic Commando: Rearmed (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
5. PixelJunk Eden (Playstation 3)[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't Prince of Persia be here though? It had more votes than Bionic Commando.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
xabre said:
HL2 over MGS3 by a mile.
RE4 absolutely.
Oblivion over Zelda - TP.
Orange Box over Mario Galaxy (but have no probs with Mario Galaxy winning, it's extremely good).
Fallout 3 over MGS4.

You lost me on Oblivion. And I love PC strategy games, yet have no problem with a Pikmin game winning that catergory. Have you played Pikmin 2?

Haruspex

Banned
Flower, Sun and Rain at #197... f'yeah!

Shame No More Heroes didn't bust into the top 10, GAF likes big-budget blockbusters just as much as other gaming sites.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tain said:
Wellp, what can I say?

Y'all have awful taste.

Dead Space, Fable II, Brawl, all over Mirror's? Rez HD is in the top 50? IIDX doesn't even flicker on the top rhythm games? I'm the only person that voted for Fantasy Zone 2?

I don't like you guys.

You're fucking right that Dead Space is over Mirror's Edge.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Haruspex said:
Flower, Sun and Rain at #197... f'yeah!

Shame No More Heroes didn't bust into the top 10, GAF likes big-budget blockbusters just as much as other gaming sites.

Yeah its totally that. Or maybe GAF likes niche hack n slashs enough for it to get that high

xabre

Banned
HK-47 said:
You lost me on Oblivion. And I love PC strategy games, yet have no problem with a Pikmin game winning that catergory. Have you played Pikmin 2?

I'd like to answer your post but I was told to 'shut up' by another forum contributor. I'm afraid I won't be able to offer my comments on your post. Apologies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
xabre said:
I'd like to answer your post but I was told to 'shut up' by another forum contributor. I'm afraid I won't be able to offer my comments on your post. Apologies.

Whatever

LCfiner

I might disagree with the GOTY choice this year but, overall, it's pretty impressive to see all the awesome games that came out all in one post.

Nice to see Braid squeak into the top 10.

Happy to see Braid in the Top 10, sad to see it push out Valkyria Chronicles to do so.

I would suggest next year not to make the votes public at all because its obvious some people skewed their #1 choice because they knew their vote would count more..

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Cheesemeister said:
I don't think I'll ever understand GAF's obsession with games pretending to be Hollywood productions. *shrug*

Me neither, but oh well.

Thank you Anihawk. Great job as usual :). How many hours do you think it takes to compile everything, roughly?

Wollan

Goty clearly deserved.

Games we hail here in the west like Resistance 2 and Gears 2 represent about just a fifth of the production witnessed in MGS4. GTA4 is the closest contender to MGS4 representing the absolute pinnacle in videogame creation and spectacle. I doubt we will see such a complex and complete game released in 09 (besides the MGS4 directors cut right?). The only possible contender for the rest of this gen is seemingly FFXIII or the next GTA production.

AniHawk

Kilrogg said:
Me neither, but oh well.

Thank you Anihawk. Great job as usual :). How many hours do you think it takes to compile everything, roughly?

Too many. I could give an estimate, but... yeah. Less than 20 hours. Enough to kill time that would've been spent on Persona 4, at least.

Doc Evils

9gexig.jpg

MGS4 luv long time

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
AniHawk said:
Too many. I could give an estimate, but... yeah. Less than 20 hours. Enough to kill time that would've been spent on Persona 4, at least.

Impressive anyway. So thanks again. I'm not sure GAF is worth the effort, but still :D.

Rorschach

Jeeze, some of you guys... Just stfu already. Did you vote? If you did, then your vote got counted and, unfortunately, not enough people voted with you. If you didn't, then you should have voted! It's not like he pulled this list out of his ass.

If you don't agree with GAF's collective opinion (I personally don't!), then that's it. What do you want to change? Should certain games should get a handicap because they're on your list? Cry me a river.

That said, I forgot to vote. :(

Thanks for the list, Anihawk.

Tieno

Wollan said:
Goty clearly deserved.

Games we hail here in the west like Resistance 2 and Gears 2 represent about just a fifth of the production witnessed in MGS4. GTA4 is the closest contender to MGS4 representing the absolute pinnacle in videogame creation and spectacle. I doubt we will see such a complex and complete game released in 09 (besides the MGS4 directors cut right?). The only possible contender for the rest of this gen is seemingly FFXIII or the next GTA production.
Dear god, do you always cream over how much money is poured into a project?

Cartman86

Banned
Knox said:
I'm surprised that MGS4 won by such a large margin, this year seemed too wide open for that kind of blow out. I guess seeing as MGS3 beat HL2 I shouldn't be too surprised though. The dude complaining about japanese games does kinda have a point, maybe next year rest of the world! (Then again I put Metal Gear at #4, so I'm part of the problem)

This is pretty disappointing to me considering how well Dead Space did. People should try it!

I really don't think there is any kind of conspiracy or JPN obsession. If anything Japan has sucked ass. Practically every week there is a story about how X JPN dev wants to make World Wide game or how the Japanese Market sucks.

Yes there are the outlying people. The ones who only played Japanese games this year The "Smash Bros Nintendo fanboy" who will play all Nintendo first party games and maybe pick up Valkyria or the odd RPG on another console. But then there are the "Western PC Gamers" who wouldn't be caught dead touching MGS with it's hour long cutscenes or anything not Half-Life. You know who all these people are when you see em post. And honestly they don't make that much of a difference. The majority of people here try and play anything that is good. The other people make up a vocal minority.

Besides the country that has produced the majority of the best games of all time has to have SOMETHING come out of it every year that is amazing. This year it was MGS4 (pretty much every year an MGS comes out).

Tieno said:
Dear god, do you always cream over how much money is poured into a project?

Well, you don't really give really big budget games that have a lot of polish too often. Especially this gen when developers can released unpolished games and then patch them later.

good job AniHawk.

good job GAF, almost perfect.

valkyria is missing on number 3 for the flawless win though. yea, theres always room for improvement ;)

Top Bottom