• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2008

GhaleonEB

113. Kingdom for Keflings - 41
113. Portal: Still Alive - 41
113. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (EU) - 41
116. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 - 40
117. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - 39
118. Condemned 2: Bloodshot - 38
118. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King - 38
120. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - 37
121. Too Human - 36
For some reason I just love that A Kingdom for Kelflings ranked higher than Dyack's baby. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Linkzg said:
Sega is so weird when it comes to PS3 exclusivity. The only reasoning I could think of is that Virtua Fighter 5 360 did really poorly and they decided that the Yakuza games and Valkyria wouldn't be worth it. It's even more weird that these are some of the only good games Sega are producing these days.

And that an open worldesque game like Yakuza probably would be a decent fit for the 360. It maybe Japanese and more story centric, but there is still plenty of asskicking and such to be doing

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Musashi Wins! said:
Also, Valkyria should be strategy game of the year, not RPG. You're doing it wrong.
Wouldn't being a strategy RPG dictate that either category would be fine? And iirc Fire Emblem has previously been included in the RPG category instead of strategy so really now...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Son of Godzilla said:
You really need to switch to a compiler or whatever. The people who voted for these need to be tagged for tracking purposes.

Hey there is nothing wrong with Cooking Guide!

And no I didnt vote for it

AniHawk

Musashi Wins! said:
Also, Valkyria should be strategy game of the year, not RPG. You're doing it wrong.

If it's an SRPG, it's an RPG. I did the same to various Fire Emblems in the past.

DanteFox said:
It would help if you'd post what method you were using. That way we could improve upon it. Oh and I'd also like to thank you for doing this the past few years. GAF's GOTY list is the only one I really respect, take seriously, and agree with. It seems whatever method you're using seems to work out fine, because the best game always wins.

Well, I count what people voted for, and then I add them. I never learned excel, I'm crappy at programming, but I'm not bad when it comes to basic math.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
grandjedi6 said:
Wouldn't being a strategy RPG dictate that either category would be fine? And iirc Fire Emblem has previously been included in the RPG category instead of strategy so really now...

That doesn't make sense in my genre limited brain.

I just thought strategy rpgs were thought of as ... strategy games. To bring them out of the rpg ghetto. That is the strength of Valkyria, too. Strategery.

DanteFox

AniHawk said:
Well, I count what people voted for, and then I add them. I never learned excel, I'm crappy at programming, but I'm not bad when it comes to basic math.
but how do you weigh the games by their placement? Do you assign, say, 10 points to #1 on a poster's list, 9 to #2.... all the way to #10? Surely you don't weigh each game on a list the same, or else there would be no point in number rankings.

grandjedi6

Son of Godzilla said:
You really need to switch to a compiler or whatever. The people who voted for these need to be tagged for tracking purposes.
That's what the "search this thread" feature is for!

For example, the only person to vote for Sonic Chronicles was makeamidget and that was the only post he has ever made on gaf. :lol

AniHawk

DanteFox said:
but how do you weigh the games by their placement? Do you assign, say, 10 points to #1 on a poster's list, 9 to #2.... all the way to #10?

Yep, that's the way I do it.

CiSTM

Banned
Boring top 10 list :( Well it has braid so I'm happy. But it's pretty standard GOTY list. And props for AniHawk who did awesome job with this thread.

DanteFox

AniHawk said:
Yep, that's the way I do it.
That's a good way to do it.

Of course, the definitive way to do it would just be to take a straight up one vote poll.
That way, the game that most gaffers regard as the goty will surely come out on top.
But for such a large poll, it shouldn't really matter. I believe IGN used to use a similar method, but since the editors at IGN are a rather small group, the best game didn't always win. In 2006, no one could really agree on the #1 game, and they were all relatively surprised when it was Okami that won. It turns out that quite a few people had listed Okami as their second or third choice, and so Okami ended up garnering the most points. In 2007, they scrapped that method and just went to a one vote poll and Super mario galaxy won, and all was well.:D

But this method works just fine as an indicator of goty, just not the preferred method when one is only interested in the #1 position.

Note to next year's AniHawk successor: If you have the time, take a count of each poster's #1 game and compile a separate list, just to see if anything changes. I doubt it will, but it's the only way to be sure.

ChryZ

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 5210
2. LittleBigPlanet - 3858
ndu7ap.gif

grandjedi6 said:
GAF whines about GAF's opinion.
GAF whines about GAF whining about GAF's opinion.

We aren't a collective mind.

I'm going to guess you like John Stewart, but do you complain about his astonishment at the re-election of George W. Bush?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
phez said:
holy crap gaf, i totally agree with this list.

though, nba2k9>nbalive09>nba09 ;d

without fucking question. did they actually come out differently? that would make this a very untrustworthy list haha

xabre

Banned
_leech_ said:
Let the tears flow. Don't forget that this was community voting, folks.

Yes GAF community voting guideline #1 If it ain't Japanese, it ain't gunna win. It's true, look from 2004 onwards.

Firestorm

Musashi Wins! said:
without fucking question. did they actually come out differently? that would make this a very untrustworthy list haha
It's okay because none of them are on the Sports GOTY list. #1 is based off the sport real men play.

:lol @

Music/Rhythm Game of the Year: Rock Band 2 (Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii)
2. Audiosurf (PC)
3. Rez HD (Xbox 360)
4. Patapon (Playstation Portable)
5. Guitar Hero: World Tour (Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii)

GAF hates its guitar hero.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
xabre said:
Yes GAF community voting guideline #1 If it ain't Japanese, it ain't gunna win. It's true, look from 2004 onwards.

OMG its a conspiracy. GAF and Japanese team up to take down the west!

Hey genius. Guess what? There are 8 western games and 2 japanese games in the top ten. ZOMG THE BIAS!

xabre said:

Who cares? you care? you should have voted then

On my personal list, Fallout 3 would be number 1, but no one cares. This is the culmination of what everyone voted on, so I don't expect it to mirror my personal one. I voted and others voted differently. Democracy kinda sucks at times.

grandjedi6

No Means Nomad said:
GAF whines about GAF whining about GAF's opinion.

We aren't a collective mind.

I'm going to guess you like John Stewart, but do you complain about his astonishment at the re-election of George W. Bush?
GAF whines about GAF whining about GAF whining about GAF's opinion

And it's Jon Stewart! >:-|

I still need to play MGS4 as I am not willing to pay 60 or even 50 for it but am still looking to snipe it out of a bin in the coming months or online for 30-40. But I am glad LBP made 2nd!
Even Braid got a spot along with Dead Space?! awesome! If Gears of War 2 was gone from the Top 10 then I could totally agree with this list but otherwise good Top Ten.

In other news, a lot of good DS and PSP games got the recognition they deserve like Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, The World Ends With You, God of War (which gets beat by Crisis Core?!? Wat?), and Chrono Trigger (A Remake passes other New games in the Top Ten :lol ).

11. Valkyria Chronicles - 1308
12. Burnout Paradise - 1203
13. Rock Band 2 - 1032
14. Mirror's Edge - 1010
15. Wipeout HD - 932
16. Persona 4 - 924
17. No More Heroes - 871
18. Resistance 2 - 807
19. World of Goo - 699
20. The World Ends With You - 698
21. Professor Layton and the Curious Village - 663
22. Mario Kart Wii - 653
23. Mega Man 9 - 632
24. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 606
Wipeout HD :lol
Resistence 2 gets hosed by Gears of War 2 fans? Bah! So much better than that piece of crap.
Professor Layton is a real contender! :D
Hell yea Banjo!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Firestorm said:
It's okay because none of them are on the Sports GOTY list. #1 is based off the sport real men play.

Real men in Mexico.

But at least MLB beat them, so I guess the world is almost right.

xabre

Banned
Linkzg said:

I did vote.

On my personal list, Fallout 3 would be number 1, but no one cares. This is the culmination of what everyone voted on, so I don't expect it to mirror my personal one. I voted and others voted differently. Democracy kinda sucks at times.

No it's just that collectively it's a very slanted and biased forum. All that ever wins these GOTY threads are big budget Japanese franchise titles.

2004 was MGS3
2005 was Resident Evil 4
2006 was Zelda - Twilight Princess
2007 was Mario Galaxy
2008 is MGS4

Next year will either be FFXIII or RE5. In fact why not conduct 2009 voting next week? Might as well get it over with a year early.

AkuMifune

Banned
Linkzg said:

Well said! Unfortunately this truism will be lost in the avalanche of idiocy to come.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Although I haven't really played much of Zelda: TP, all of those others are insanely good, and in my opinion, deserve it.

grandjedi6

xabre said:
I did vote.
No it's just that collectively it's a very slanted and biased forum. All that ever wins these GOTY threads are big budget Japanese franchise titles.

2004 was MGS3
2005 was Resident Evil 4
2006 was Zelda - Twilight Princess
2007 was Mario Galaxy
2008 is MGS4

Next year will either be FFXIII or RE5. In fact why not conduct 2009 voting next week? Might as well get it over with a year early.

I'm not sure why you are so gungho in your whinning about other people's collective opinions but.... if you actually look at the top 10 for each of those years you'll see that they are dominated by Western games too! Looking soley at the top spot is pretty foolish.

dude

dude
Great job AniHawk.
A solid list, I don't agree with everything, but it's the best I've seen this year.

Alts

DanteFox said:
That's a good way to do it.

Of course, the definitive way to do it would just be to take a straight up one vote poll.
That way, the game that most gaffers regard as the goty will surely come out on top.
But for such a large poll, it shouldn't really matter. I believe IGN used to use a similar method, but since the editors at IGN are a rather small group, the best game didn't always win. In 2006, no one could really agree on the #1 game, and they were all relatively surprised when it was Okami that won. It turns out that quite a few people had listed Okami as their second or third choice, and so Okami ended up garnering the most points. In 2007, they scrapped that method and just went to a one vote poll and Super mario galaxy won, and all was well.:D

But this method works just fine as an indicator of goty, just not the preferred method when one is only interested in the #1 position.

Note to next year's AniHawk successor: If you have the time, take a count of each poster's #1 game and compile a separate list, just to see if anything changes. I doubt it will, but it's the only way to be sure.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to scrape the results from that thread. If you want to play around with them (and have access to an SQL database), I'll send them to you, or anyone else that cares. It's worth trying out a few different weighting patterns.

For example, the MLB MVP award is done somewhat similarly, with 10 players selected, in order, but #1 receives 14 points as opposed to 10. No harm in trying and then comparing results, I suppose.

Top Bottom