• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2008

xbhaskarx

Yup, GAF loves the PS3.

Anihawk said:
4. Left 4 Dead (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)

FPS of the Year: Left 4 Dead (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)

I didn't know Left 4 Dead was out on the PS3.

Anihawk said:
Puzzle/Parlor Game of the Year: World of Goo (PC, Wii)

Console Puzzle Game of the Year: World of Goo (PC, Wii)

10. Braid - 1334

19. World of Goo - 699

Braid is a Puzzle/Platformer... are those not eligible for the Puzzle/Parlor(?) award for some reason?

Isn't Braid a console puzzle game?

DanteFox

xabre said:
I did vote.

No it's just that collectively it's a very slanted and biased forum. All that ever wins these GOTY threads are big budget Japanese franchise titles.

2004 was MGS3
2005 was Resident Evil 4
2006 was Zelda - Twilight Princess
2007 was Mario Galaxy
2008 is MGS4

Next year will either be FFXIII or RE5. In fact why not conduct 2009 voting next week? Might as well get it over with a year early.
You know what else those games have in common? They're good!

Sure GAF's biased. But at least their biases (on games at least) are EXTREMELY well educated. GAF is known as the elites of the gaming industry/community, so you can be sure whatever their GOTY is gonna be very good.

AniHawk

xbhaskarx said:
I didn't know Left 4 Dead was out on the PS3.

10. Braid - 1334

19. World of Goo - 699

Braid is a Puzzle/Platformer... are those not eligible for the Puzzle/Parlor(?) award for some reason?

Isn't Braid a console puzzle game?

Thanks about the Left 4 Dead note. There's always something I miss/mess up.

As far as Braid goes... it's one of those split ones. I personally felt it was more platformer than puzzler, so that's why it went there.
Another reason why I'm not doing this again: just one guy decides genres.

grandjedi6 said:
I'm not sure why you are so gungho in your whinning about other people's collective opinions but.... if you actually look at the top 10 for each of those years you'll see that they are dominated by Western games too! Looking soley at the top spot is pretty foolish.
He isn't "gung-ho" about whining about collective opinions, look at the comment he is responding to!

And there is a clear trend but he is probably going to be right. RE5 and FF13 will be clear contenders for next year. Though I suspect that this year's E3 will be good to us in surprise announcements if they truly want to give us the old E3 back.

Firestorm

'nother small fix:

Handheld Puzzle Game of the Year: Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Playstation Portable)

Should be Nintendo DS.

AniHawk

benjipwns said:
Doesn't matter or anything...just noticed:

Yeah, they should have been combined. Apparently it happened all the way back on page ten. Changed now. Thanks for letting me know.

xbhaskarx

AniHawk said:
Thanks about the Left 4 Dead note. There's always something I miss/mess up.

As far as Braid goes... it's one of those split ones. I personally felt it was more platformer than puzzler, so that's why it went there.

Well if you're splitting apart puzzle and platform, for the purposes of GOTY awards I'm sure Braid would rather be the #1 puzzle game over a game that got around half as many votes, instead of being the #2 platform game. If a game is borderline like that, maybe the decision should be made based on that, it just seems odd that World of Goo wins and Braid doesn't, considering how far apart they are in votes. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the parlor part of "Puzzle/Parlor" anyways?

AniHawk

Firestorm said:
'nother small fix:

Handheld Puzzle Game of the Year: Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Playstation Portable)

Should be Nintendo DS.

Well if you want to play it so much, just buy a PSP.

Thanks.

xabre

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
I'm not sure why you are so gungho in your whinning about other people's collective opinions

MGS4 I can live with. Typical, obvious choice for this place obsessed with all things Kojima, but fine.

The Sins result did it. I mean come the fuck on. Pixel what? That's just ridiculous. Sins is a strategy game with universal acclaim on the PC, it's very highly regarded, but nope, according to this place there's this obscure PS3 strat game that is supposed to be better. It just so typical. PC games just don't get their due here at all.

Now lets flash forward a year when there's PC strategy games like Starcraft 2, Anno 1401, Empire Total War, CoH Tales of Valor. Isn't Pikmin 3 out next year? Well guess what wins? Pikmin 3.

but.... if you actually look at the top 10 for each of those years you'll see that they are dominated by Western games too! Looking soley at the top spot is pretty foolish.

Hardly. There's only so many games you can vote for and only so many big name Japanese titles each year.

SuperDowns said:
He isn't "gung-ho" about whining about collective opinions, look at the comment he is responding to!

And there is a clear trend but he is probably going to be right. RE5 and FF13 will be clear contenders for next year. Though I suspect that this year's E3 will be good to us in surprise announcements if they truly want to give us the old E3 back.
It will always be that way. Japanese companies have a way of delivering games that a vast majority of people will think are pretty good, and thus in a top ten list like this they will hit top dollar. Games like Super Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4 are extremely easy to find room for in a personal top ten. Whereas something like Little Big Planet or Halo 3 or GTA4 are extremely polarizing and won't get as many mentions.

SSBB would be higher still if it weren't a complete turd.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
xabre said:
Now lets flash forward a year when there's PC strategy games like Starcraft 2, Anno 1401, Empire Total War, CoH Tales of Valor. Isn't Pikmin 3 out next year? Well guess what wins? Pikmin 3.
Gaf would vote Starcraft 2.

xabre

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Although I haven't really played much of Zelda: TP, all of those others are insanely good, and in my opinion, deserve it.

HL2 over MGS3 by a mile.
RE4 absolutely.
Oblivion over Zelda - TP.
Orange Box over Mario Galaxy (but have no probs with Mario Galaxy winning, it's extremely good).
Fallout 3 over MGS4.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
xabre said:
MGS4 I can live with. Typical, obvious choice for this place obsessed with all things Kojima, but fine.

The Sins result did it. I mean come the fuck on. Pixel what? That's just ridiculous. Sins is a strategy game with universal acclaim on the PC, it's very highly regarded, but nope, according to this place there's this obscure PS3 strat game that is supposed to be better. It just so typical. PC games just don't get their due here at all.

Hardly. There's only so many games you can vote for and only so many big name Japanese titles each year.

You're getting the (relative) lack of PC discussion on GAF mixed up this regional bias idea of yours.

HUELEN10

Wait, I was one of only two people who voted for Namco Museum Virtual Arcade??!?!?!?

WHO WAS THE OTHER GUY?!?!?!?!
:lol :lol :lol

I actually expect next year to be an 'off year' for japanese titles dominating the number 1 slot (well, that could change if Nintendo manages to deliver a mario or zelda game next year).

I think RE5 will get considerable backlash for some reason. Perhaps because people so fondly remember RE4...and maybe because RE5 doesn't seem to be such a huge improvement in the mechanics over that game...and maybe because the co-op may be to its own detriment. I think it'll end up being very good of course, but it may get the GTA4 treatment if you know what I mean.

AniHawk

xabre said:
HL2 over MGS3 by a mile.
RE4 absolutely.
Orange Box over Mario Galaxy (but have no probs with Mario Galaxy winning, it's extremely good).
Fallout 3 over MGS4.

So instead of Nintendo and MGS, you'd have Bethesda and Half-Life.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I would especially agree with you on the Half-Life choices, but people here would then bitch about how Japanese companies never get their due.

xabre

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Gaf would vote Starcraft 2.

Possibly, but I'm not convinced with this place. There's like a Nintendo handicap here, where any Ninty game gets an automatic 50% boost.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
xabre said:
HL2 over MGS3 by a mile.-While I like HL, MGS is my favorite game series and MGS3 was much better to me.
RE4 absolutely.
Oblivion over Zelda - TP.-I hated Oblivion
Orange Box over Mario Galaxy (but have no probs with Mario Galaxy winning, it's extremely good).-Like above, I never really got into HL that much, TF2 and Portal were great though.
Fallout 3 over MGS4.-Playing through Fallout3 right now, while I like it a lot (put it at number 4 I think, nothing this year even came close to MGS4 for me.

xbhaskarx

11. Valkyria Chronicles - 1308

Valkyria probably wins the "GAF votes / overall sales" award.
I wonder what percentage of the 33k copies sold in November were to GAF members...

13. Rock Band 2 - 1032
69. Guitar Hero: World Tour - 120

I was wondering if RB2 to finish with a 10 to 1 advantage in the voting, not quite. :lol

antiloop

xabre said:
HL2 over MGS3 by a mile.
RE4 absolutely.
Fallout 3 over MGS4.

What's your problem?

Fallout is in top 3. (L4D or Gears 2 are better games in my opinion by a country mile.) I see an obvious western dominance in the top 10.

xabre

Banned
antiloop said:
What's your problem?

The games that should of won didn't because the majority of people voting in these contests vote for the same old Japanese franchise titles regardless of their quality or what else may be better.

AniHawk

xabre said:
The games that should of won didn't because the majority of people voting in these contests vote for the same old Japanese franchise titles regardless of their quality or what else may be better.

Thankfully we have you to remind everyone how much better you are than them.

Alts

xabre said:

And what/who determines what should win?
Also: should have

Dre

Rapping Granny said:
I really need to play Fallout. too bad the PS3 port looks like shit.
I thought it had better textures than the Xbox counterpart !?
I guess I have to play it asap and see for myself, but I haven't had the time so far ... stupid backlog. ;-(

Back to topic:
Yeah at Metal Gear Solid 4 at #1
boo at Valkyria Chronicles not making it in the top 10, it was soooo close

AniHawk said:
Totally. LBP, Braid, and Mirror's Edge are some of the most inventive platformers in years.
Dude you can't honestly call Braid a platformer. That's like calling Pipe Dream a plumbing sim.

OR PROFESSOR LAYTON AN ADVENTURE GAME

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
xabre said:
please just shut up already.

I would like to submit myself as a candidate for compiling next year's GAF GOTY awards.

I'd do it with an Excel spreadsheet, and I'd put together some more stats and different awards, such as Most Love/Hate Game for the game that got more #1 votes and also complete omissions, etc. I'd also keep track of some other stats that I think up later (or any suggestions).

That said, great work AniHawk :) Thanks a ton for doing this for so many years.

xabre said:

I don't see you mentioning LBP, that got 2nd, that's good right? oh wait this isn't about western vs japanese games, this is about if it's a PS3 game or not.

Nobody cares about PS3 anymore.

yeah I know rite. :p

Top Bottom