• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf....Help, I can't dance!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdog987

Cliff notes version will be at the bottom.

Hello Gaf.

I am 26 and in need of assistance. I have a date this Saturday night (11/30) with one of my friends (she has bf, who she says she is gonna be dumping soon...she is also 26 btw). We have known each other since Highschool (we weren't really friends back then, but did talk some. I messaged her of Facebook in September, to catch up and when I told I have been going out alot, she told me that if I needed someone to go out, she would love to come, so I took her up on her offer). This will be our 3rd date. Each date has been at bar.

1st date was at smallish with Karaoke and pool table (We played pool, drank, talked, and walked...was out for about 6 hours).

2nd date we went with her friends (all dude's...seemed like a normal platonic friendships), we went to a bar in the city (played pool and shuffleboard most of the time), then we went a strip club (they found out I had never been to one...they could tell I was a bit uncomfortable ), then got donuts and went home.

3rd date, we are gonna go somewhere else 1st, the the bar we went to in date #1. I"ll be singing a bit (below avg) and I want to dance with her. Me and her did dance on the 1st date (guy was practically begging me an her to dance, so we got up and danced for all of like 15 seconds, then the song ended).

So here's what I need help with, I want 4 songs I can choose that I can dance with her to. 2 slow dance songs and 2 fast/normal songs.

But I mainly I want videos that will teach me how to dance (slow dancing seems pretty easy, its the other stuff that IM not sure about).

I have already started prepping. I asked a DJ friend of mine some songs and songs with dances to them...He gave me...

Cupid Shuffle (got that one down already)
Wobble
Harlem Shuffle
Party Rock anthem

Thift Shop
Blurred lines - Robin Thick

Here are some dance videos Ive been trying to learn from, but I am not sure if its those are good or not. (all in the playlist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfE5h01xsk&list=PLUacEwtydMdJU4QOnAl4Ns6KDM2beRkC2

CLIFF NOTES
-Going out with friend (Both are 26) to a bar for 3rd time on Saturday Night (11/30)
-She has bf who lives like 200 miles away.
-I am looking to dance with her that evening
-Need 4 songs to dance to (2 slow and 2 fast/normal)
-Need videos to learn how to dance

This is me

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Oh no you're in trouble buddy

Just shake and move with the beat, you got this

Arkos

Honestly, I wouldn't focus too much on learning any specific dances or anything, I'd worry more about whether you can move comfortably on the floor, that's all that really matters. So just practice by dancing around the house, it'll be fun and you'll learn a little about your limits hopefully lol. The thing that I would actually watch videos for is slow dancing, like it it's going to be formal. Other than that, you're good, just flaunt what you got man.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I feel like you referring to these outings as "dates" is not helping your mental situation, especially given she isn't likely seeing them as "dates", but anyway...

The most fundamental thing to dancing is moving in time to the beat. Everything else flows from there.

Practise dancing and moving to the beat alone at home. Walk to the beat whenever you hear music in public. Tap your foot to the beat to ambient music when seated. Do it enough and it will feel natural and intuitive.

Move to the beat consistently and you'll already be better than 50% of the people on the dance floor.

Tdog987

LMAO, what are you trying to accomplish?

Just trying to get out there. Be more comfortable. I figure it'd be easier doing this stuff with people I know. and when she does eventually dump him (if she doesn't...oh well. Ive learned something), then we'll get to the real dates

Buy the new persona game. learn to dance.

Edit : I had a shirt like that but it was stolen a few weeks back at a concert. Were you at that concert? Bet it was you.

Tdog987

I feel like you referring to these outings as "dates" is not helping your mental situation, especially given she isn't likely seeing them as "dates", but anyway...

The most fundamental thing to dancing is moving in time to the beat. Everything else flows from there.

Practise dancing and moving to the beat alone at home. Walk to the beat whenever you hear music in public. Tap your foot to the beat to ambient music when seated. Do it enough and it will feel natural and intuitive.

Move to the beat consistently and you'll already be better than 50% of the people on the dance floor.

It probably doesn't help, the hours before we go are a bit stressful.

Thanks for the advice

Arkos

I would take that option if it was one.

OP, get out while you still can unless you want to read pages and pages of people making fun of you. I don't have any helpful links, but I'd say figure out what songs you have in mind (the fast songs) and then try to maybe YouTube videos of people dancing to that song if you think it will help. Personally, I'd pick out a song and then figure out the dance, don't know if that's good advice or not.

JohnDoe

Banned
Just trying to get out there. Be more comfortable. I figure it'd be easier doing this stuff with people I know. and when she does eventually dump him (if she doesn't...oh well. Ive learned something), then we'll get to the real dates

The "wait until they break up" method never works bruh. It's desperate as fuck too. There are other women.

Go out with friends, get drunk (not too drunk) and follow the beat.

And am I the only one who is bothered by OP's pose in his pic? Looks so tense and stiff with the awkwardly clenched fists and shit.

Tdog987

Honestly, I wouldn't focus too much on learning any specific dances or anything, I'd worry more about whether you can move comfortably on the floor, that's all that really matters. So just practice by dancing around the house, it'll be fun and you'll learn a little about your limits hopefully lol. The thing that I would actually watch videos for is slow dancing, like it it's going to be formal. Other than that, you're good, just flaunt what you got man.

I haven't danced since HS prom and even that was terrible.

Just get hammered.

Lol...yes. Drinks will be had.

Grab her hips and get real close, sway to the beat, have a good time.

Oh wait she has a boyfriend, you can't do any of that....

Arkos

I haven't danced since HS prom and even that was terrible..

All the more reason to casually dance around the house whenever you have some free time :) I feel you, like I said, I'd just put on some music that you like and see what happens, and you'll learn about what you are and aren't able or comfortable to do.

Hm, I admire your confidence, but your morals seem a bit sketchy.

I do modern jive, aka dance for people who can't dance. Just pull one of these out of the bag and you'll be fine.

Easy!

It helps to have a glittery shirt with a V-neck down to your navel, and obviously she has to wear a halterneck mullet-dress with thigh-high stockings.

Tdog987

The "wait until they break up" method never works bruh. It's desperate as fuck too. There are other women.

Go out with friends, get drunk (not too drunk) and follow the beat.

And am I the only one who is bothered by OP's pose in his pic? Looks so tense and stiff with the awkwardly clenched fists and shit.

Even if she never does, oh well. Desperate times call for desperate measures lol, but seriously...I try not to take it too seriously...We have fun and thats what matters.

Thanks.

Yeah...when I 1st looked at the pic, I noticed that as well. Doesn't look good, I admit.

Tdog987

All the more reason to casually dance around the house whenever you have some free time :) I feel you, like I said, I'd just put on some music that you like and see what happens, and you'll learn about what you are and aren't able or comfortable to do.

It seems like this is the consensus in Gaf...to just do that.

I'm just not a very creative person, so just kind of emulating some stuff would help a bit.

I feel like if I just dance to the beat without any guidance with moves, I feel like I wouldnt vary at all and I would just be stuck in a dance pattern and it would look pretty plain.

Tdog987

Hm, I admire your confidence, but your morals seem a bit sketchy.

I do modern jive, aka dance for people who can't dance. Just pull one of these out of the bag and you'll be fine.

Easy!

It helps to have a glittery shirt with a V-neck down to your navel, and obviously she has to wear a halterneck mullet-dress with thigh-high stockings.

I admit it seems sketchy, but i aint gonna try anything, because karma is a bitch.

I'll let there relationship play its course.

Enco

Why not?

And it seems like people get more responses when pics are posted. If I look like an absolute troll, I wanna know.
You look like a cool guy but why the clenched fists?

You seem pretty stiff.

That being said, I can't dance either so sorry I'm no help.

RC

Banned
Stop calling them dates, for fuck sake.

And no amount of sweet dance moves will change that.

I can't dance either, but man oh man this thread is weird. The picture is... unnecessary to say the least.

And out of curiosity, are double/triple posts simply looked down upon or are they against forum rules? While personally I could not care less, I've noticed a lot of people apologizing after double posting.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You haven't been on a date with her.

You won't be on a date with her anytime in the near or far future.

Stop pretending those are dates.

Thank all of us later.

Once you get rid of all the "date" parts of the story - sorry, can't help you how to dance, can't dance either. Just delete all the "dating" parts of your post and this thread will be much, much better.

Arkos

It seems like this is the consensus in Gaf...to just do that.

I'm just not a very creative person, so just kind of emulating some stuff would help a bit.

I feel like if I just dance to the beat without any guidance with moves, I feel like I wouldnt vary at all and I would just be stuck in a dance pattern and it would look pretty plain.

Eh, but have you ever really given yourself the chance to be creative in that way? o_O Give it a shot, you might turn out to be the next J Tim or something.

If that doesn't work, I don't blame you, and in that case I would say to look up videos of people dancing to music that you like. If it's music that you like you'll be able to understand it better, and it will be more helpful.

Also I'd run for the hills OP the vultures are arriving :p

Tdog987

You look like a cool guy but why the clenched fists?

You seem pretty stiff.

That being said, I can't dance either so sorry I'm no help.

I dont think I'm that stiff IRL...I think its just because I was taking a picture and was sending it to one of my friends. Just a little nervous I guess.

There was this (still look a bit stiff)

And This...I look like a douche in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom