• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, help me to decide what RPG to play this winter break

UPDATE: It's Xenoblade Chronicles on WiiU. Thanks for the comments rpgGAF.

Expect a LTTP thread about it soon.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello rpgGAF,

I have three weeks off starting today (the advantages of working at a school); during Easter, summer break and the winter holidays I usually pick a game from my backlog and finish it (sometimes I have enough time to beat even more titles). For the last three years I focused in open world games and AAA stuff but I’ve neglected my favourite type of games: RPGs, and I’ve accumulated many of those that I don’t play because from 2011 I’ve been playing Souls games regularly.

I’m not a big fan of these kind of threads (“GAF help me to like X game”, “…tell me what to play”, etc.), but for the first time I can’t decide by myself what to play. All I’m asking is that you take a couple of minutes to pick ONLY ONE game from my list and I’ll play the game with most votes and can even make a LTTP thread about it; if you want it to see it this way you take 5 min of your time and I’ll commit to play a game obsessively for three weeks or even more time if I don’t finish it during three weeks. You can add a reason or just write the game you think I should play, but just mention one, please.

Even if you think the game is bad and that’s the only reason you’d recommend it to me, that’s acceptable. If the worse game of my list wins I’ll still play it and tbh I’d probably enjoy it.

I made a list of the rpgs on my backlog and to spice things up I added some games that I already beat but that I feel I want to play again.
Games marked like this (*), I already played them.
Games marked like this (x), I played and dropped for some reason but I feel like giving them a second chance.
Games whose names are written like this, are some games that I want to play but haven’t bought yet.

DS/3DS games:
Chrono Trigger (*) want to see the new content of this version.
Devil Survivor Overclocked (*) want to see the new content of this version.
Devil Survivor 2
Disgaea DS (*) want to see what’s up with this version or I could play it on ps3 as well.
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
Phantasy Star Zero (x) I’ve started this game like three times already…
Pokémon Platinum (x) Got to that weird universe where you find that Giratina(?) thing.
Rune Factory (x) I still don’t know what to do in this game.
Inazuma Eleven 3. Japanese version.
Sakura Note. Also in Japanese; the people who made this game also made Contact, which was surprisingly good.
Pokémon Soul Silver.
Ni no Kuni. Yeah, the one that includes a book with spells.
Bravely Default
Corpse Party
Dragon Quest VII
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Hero Bank. In Japanese
Yokai Watch
7th Dragon III Code:VFD
Monster Hunter Stories

Mother 3 (x): I’ve been waiting patiently for an official release…

WiiU games (including Virtual console games):
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (*)
Mega Man Battle Network
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade Chronicles X
The Last Story

PS2/PS3/PS4 games:
Breath of Fire IV
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Disgaea IV
Final Fantasy XII (x). Waiting for the remaster.
Lost Dimmension
Odin Sphere. Leifprasir
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (x)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne(x)
SMT Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army.
SMT Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abbadon.
SMT: Persona 3 FES. (*) My favourite game of the ps2.
Stella Deus
Suikoden
Suikoden II. My first experience with Suikoden was the infamous Suikoden IV…
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Tales of Xillia
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. Or I can play it on steam.
Ni no Kuni
Dragon Quest Builders

PSP:
Brave Story: A New Traveler.
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (*): Want to see the content of this version
God Eater Burst (x). I really don’t understand the mechanics in this game…
SMT: Persona
SMT: Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Summon Night 3. In Japanese.

XBOX360/XB1:
Blue Dragon (*)
Fable 3
Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia (*)
Infinite Undiscovery
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Strange of Sword City
Pier Solar

PC/steam:
Fallout 3
Tales of Zestiria (x). There was always another game that made me quit this even though I really like it.
Trails in the Sky

If you don’t see it in the list either I already played it or I’m not interested in the game.

TL; DR: Help me pick a game I’ll play during winter break and I probably start it tomorrow. Thanks.

DJ_Lae

Of the ones you have listed there and haven't already played (or haven't bought yet), I'd probably go with Lost Odyssey, and it seems timely too with its recent BC support.

Great story, great characters, and some fantastically written short stories in there. The battle system is a bit plodding but a lot of JRPGs are guilty of the same.

I'd go with Xenoblade Chronicles (the original game on Wii U Virtual Console so you can play it using the GamePad). It's probably the best game on your lists that you haven't touched and you mentioned you like open-world stuff & it's semi-open world.

Xenoblade Chronicles or XBCX would be my pick as well. Both are sublime games and you can't go wrong with either one. Their worlds are worth seeing for yourself. Ninja Edit: Whoops, if it's only one, go with the first: Xenoblade Chronicles. It's an absolute gem/classic/etc.

I don't have a handheld though, so that's cutting out a lot of my perspective.

WolfeTone

Xenoblade Chronicles (The Wii version) is the best game on your list that you've not yet played. It has a great story, characters, music and a wonderful world to explore. The feeling of movement is great compared to many other JRPGs. It is a solid 80-100 hour investment though.

If you want something shorter, I'd recommend Bravely Default or Pokemon Soul Silver. BD has a great job system like FFIII and FFV and does a lot of things to modernize the JRPG battle system and reduce the need for grinding. Soul Silver is, along with Black and White, the best Pokemon game.

Makonero

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the best winter game. Read the manual, read some tips online, and then dive in and explore Mira. I'm probably going to replay it soon. The combat is deep and rewarding and there's always something to do.

Feeroper

Lost Odyssey is free right now on Xbox Live if you are a gold member. Its free until Dec 31, and its a great game to boot! Cant go wrong with that one.

Mozendo

You haven't played Lost Odyssey!? Get on that right now!
Fallout 3/Pokemon SoulSIlver/Bravely Default are all side games you can play if you get burnt out on Lost Odyssey or something else.

xuchu

Judging from OP's list, he's a fan of jrpgs so witcher 3 probably won't be the best recommendation. Xenoblade chronicles sounds like it's up your alley though.

It's a little disappointing that you have so many Persona games but not Persona 4, Golden or otherwise, but you've played 3 so you know what to expect sort of.

Based on that list which I've played, I'd go for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I expected a good game, I got a really great game. The majority of the topic will go for Trails in the Sky, and they're probably right.

Elsewhere, Mega Man Battle Network is good, but only worth playing for its sequels. 2/3 are regarded as the best in the series and personally, 4 shat all over the plot but its gameplay picks up the pace and is my personal favourite when, well, you completely ignore the plot. 5 was awful, have no opinion on 6. Also, for Ni No Kuni, it's a beautiful game, but my god, its gameplay isn't worth writing about and its plot is nothing special. Very medicore, with a terribly, grindy post-game. To compare it to another big RPG of the era, Final Fantasy XIII gets a lot of well deserved flak, but has a great post-game and a battle system that gets better as the game goes by. NNK has neither. Look at some cutscenes, but skip it and see what the sequel has to offer instead.

Also, play Chrono Trigger again. I mean, it's Chrono Trigger. Come on.

Hnetuduft

A lot of great titles on that list. Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni (PS3) and Nier are special though. LO if you only have time for one.

Ahnez

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii VC)

Can't go wrong with this

edit:

Slightly better explanation:

It is one of the best rpg I have ever played, everything from the world, story, characters, music are excellent.

This game is massive, but if you're planning to play only one, then this is definitely the right choice

Feeroper

Trails in the Sky would also be a great choice! In fact, you have a lot of great options on that list OP.

However that said, I'd go with Lost Odyssey or Trails in the Sky, and do what the poster above me said and use something like Pokémon or whatever to break it up in case you get a case of burn-out by any particular game.

It seems GAF loves Xenoblade. I still have to buy the first one, but if I don't find Nintendo cards I have the special edition of XBX waiting to be played.

Still, Lost Odyssey is right now the second place...

Judging from OP's list, he's a fan of jrpgs so witcher 3 probably won't be the best recommendation. Xenoblade chronicles sounds like it's up your alley though.

Have you seen that picture of the Japanese kid asking what's an xbox? That's me but saying "What's a WRPG?" instead.

I finished recently Persona 5... it took me 2 months and a half to beat it; 173 hours of actual playing time.

Jachaos

Megaman Battle Network 3

You loved P3 so I'd say Persona 4 but maybe you should wait for Persona 5 and keep 4 for further down the line, to space things out.

Edit: Oh, you just played that. Well then, P4 but maybe not right away. So my answer remains the same.

It's a little disappointing that you have so many Persona games but not Persona 4, Golden or otherwise, but you've played 3 so you know what to expect sort of.

Based on that list which I've played, I'd go for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I expected a good game, I got a really great game. The majority of the topic will go for Trails in the Sky, and they're probably right.

Elsewhere, Mega Man Battle Network is good, but only worth playing for its sequels. 2/3 are regarded as the best in the series and personally, 4 shat all over the plot but its gameplay picks up the pace and is my personal favourite when, well, you completely ignore the plot. 5 was awful, have no opinion on 6. Also, for Ni No Kuni, it's a beautiful game, but my god, its gameplay isn't worth writing about and its plot is nothing special. Very medicore, with a terribly, grindy post-game. To compare it to another big RPG of the era, Final Fantasy XIII gets a lot of well deserved flak, but has a great post-game and a battle system that gets better as the game goes by. NNK has neither. Look at some cutscenes, but skip it and see what the sequel has to offer instead.

Also, play Chrono Trigger again. I mean, it's Chrono Trigger. Come on.

Megaman Battle Network 3

You loved P3 so I'd say Persona 4 but maybe you should wait for Persona 5 and keep 4 for further down the line, to space things out.

I have played Persona 2, Persona 3, Persona 4 and Persona 5. The one i dropped was Persona 2 EP because I felt at the time something was missing. I love P3, I liked P4 and I think P5 is better than those three.

Also... when I decided to make this thread (yesterday at night) I thought Valkyria Chronicles would win easily. Guess I was wrong.

xuchu

Give Nocturne another shot b

This mofo...

tumblr_m9kz5monoC1qm8nv9o1_1280.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky

Thud

Might help if you trim it down to the platform you wanna play on.

Anyway I think Xenoblade Chronicles is a lovely rpg. You can really dig into that world.

YaBish

Buy Nier and play it before Automata comes out, just like I am right now!

Then we can do a joint LTTP and have a grand old time!

Xenoblade Chronicles. No Question. You are in for a TREAT.

Start with the best because you don't know which ones you will be able to get around to. Especially since it's such a huge list and it doesn't seem like you have all the time in the world.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This mofo...

tumblr_m9kz5monoC1qm8nv9o1_1280.jpg

Never understood how this became a problem for so many. I recall demons you can earn literally outside of his hallway that are optimized for him. Granted it was pretty shitty of the team to just throw you into that fight unannounced and likely unprepared if you didn't expect it. But you die, get a new demon during the corpse run, and lay him out...

remember if you start Trails OP you have to then play the Cold Steel games,then find some way to play the Crossbell games because this is one series you dont wanna skip games with

Virdix

I'm looking at these for myself:

Chrono Trigger(psone classic) Never played it

Or

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Jay Sosa

Obviously, in long GAF tradition, I have to pick a game that's not even on your list.

So i'll say you should play Demon's Soul.

But seriously: Play Suikoden II asap.

hie

Everyone is specifying the Wii VC version of Xenoblade. I'm about 15hrs into the 3DS version...did I make a mistake?

SephLuis

Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky

THIS

Let me explain why. The trails games are one big and great story and what happens in these games has consequences to the rest of the series. FC and SC tell the story in one country, while Cold Steel tells the story in another country for example.

So a big part what makes those game excellent is their lore and careful world building. Considering you can spend three weeks playing, you can play them at your own pace because those games start slow. By the time you finish FC, I doubt it you won't want to immediately play SC.

Also, you mentioned a japanese game in your list, so if you can read japanese you have access to games in the series that aren't localized yet (Trails in the Zero and Trails in the Azure) and are two of the best RPGs I ever played in my life. Trails in the Sky the 3rd is releasing in english next year and acts as a epilogue of sorts for many characters in SC, while greatly expanding the lore which would become the basis for the Crossbell arc and the Cold Steel games.

In the community thread, at least, people are passionate reading about newcomers playing and discussing the lore of each game.

===================================

As a second suggestion, Nier. It isn't long and the story is great too. It's more of an action rpg and should take you around 20 hours to see everything story related.

===================================

As a third suggestion, add Yakuza to your PS list. Please.

Top Bottom