• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, help me to decide what RPG to play this winter break

mike6467

Obviously, in long GAF tradition, I have to pick a game that's not even on your list.

So i'll say you should play Demon's Soul.

But seriously: Play Suikoden II asap.

Agreed. Suikoden II and Shenmue are my Christmas games. I still think Suikoden II does some amazing things that we haven't seen since. Really outstanding game.

Shifty1897

Nah, 3DS version of Xenoblade is fine. To be fair though, that game screams for an
HD remaster. Look up 1080p native dolphin footage of the game.

OP, go for Xenoblade. Though unless you game full time, 3 weeks isn't enough.

Virdix

THIS

Let me explain why. The trails in the sky games are one big and great story and what happens in these games has consequences to the rest of the series. FC and SC tell the story in one country, while Cold Steel tells the story in another country for example.

So a big part what makes those game excellent is their lore and careful world building. Considering you can spend three weeks playing, you can play them at your own pace because those games start slow. By the time you finish FC, I doubt it you won't want to immediately play SC.

Also, you mentioned a japanese game in your list, so if you can read japanese you have access to games in the series that aren't localized yet (Trails in the Zero and Trails in the Azure) and are two of the best RPGs I ever played in my life. Trails in the Sky the 3rd is releasing in english next year and acts as a epilogue of sorts for many characters in SC, while greatly expanding the lore which would become the basis for the Crossbell arc and the Cold Steel games.

In the community thread, at least, people are passionate reading about newcomers playing and discussing the lore of each game.

===================================

As a second suggestion, Nier. It isn't long and the story is great too. It's more of an action rpg and should take you around 20 hours to see everything story related.

===================================

As a third suggestion, add Yakuza to your PS list. Please.

This is very convincing.

I'm 11 hours into FC,
Mayor Maybelle released me from prison and I'm going to find the sky bandit fortress.

However, Chrono Trigger is something I always hear people talking about. Was going to pick it up with 20% off psn coupon and play it on my vita.

Maybe I'll just settle down and go a few more hours into Trails and see what happens.

SephLuis

So, Trails in the Sky.....

Vita vs PC? Help me out here

Vita if you want portability, which is great for short gaming sessions. Those games start slow so shorts bursts is appropriate.

PC is cheaper and there's a number of tools that make the experience better (such as fast forwarding some battles, etc) and, IIRC, there's a few corrections in the script that never made it to the Vita/PSP version. Beyond that, the 3rd will only release on the PC so you could use your complete save in TitS SC to get some bonuses in the 3rd.

Jay Sosa

This is very convincing.

I'm 11 hours into FC,
Mayor Maybelle released me from prison and I'm going to find the sky bandit fortress.

However, Chrono Trigger is something I always hear people talking about. Was going to pick it up with 20% off psn coupon and play it on my vita.

Maybe I'll just settle down and go a few more hours into Trails and see what happens.

You have never played Chrono Trigger? What are you guys doing with your life?

Fuck Trails, you can finish that one later.

SephLuis

This is very convincing.

I'm 11 hours into FC,

Since the 20% coupon has a date, use it to buy Trails in the Sky SC. Trust me on this.

If you're already liking FC, you probably will want to play SC as soon as you finish FC.

Virdix

Since the 20% coupon has a date, use it to buy Trails in the Sky SC. Trust me on this.

If you're already liking FC, you probably will want to play SC as soon as you finish FC.

I'm super conflicted D:

Thanks for the advice but I already bought SC on steam with that humble bundle deal a few days ago :)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I vote for Trails as well, if people want RPGs with good characters and a great world that's just the way to go.

Actually I think the opposite. That gem is never going to run away nor are any sequel hopes tied to it.
Whereas Trails success right now will have influence on whether the series continues to come here, any person that starts to get hooked right now is always a net win in that evaluation. And I say this as a person that isn't dependent on them bringing the games over.

HotHamBoy

On your list:

Dragon Quest V for DS.

Not on your list:

Earthbound and Mother 3 (fan translation). Two of the greatest RPGs U've ever played. Played both this summer for the first time.

Use save states on Wii U or 3DS or PC to make Earthbound more manageable. Not during battles, just in Dungeons and Towns. The save system is cumbersome. The game is incredible, though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Many of these are good games but if you haven't played it, this is e a s y.

SUIKODEN II

It is the best RPG I think I've ever played. The characters are lovable and lovably animated. The battles are fast. The music is excellent. The villain is legendary. The story will not disappoint.

edit: This is not nostalgia. I first played it in like 2010 on a PSP.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
From 2009!

Suikoden 2 is incredible.

I have not had extensive hands-on playtime with any of the Suikoden games until this week when I have started playing Suikoden 2 on my PSP. I've logged 13 hours and have just finished the scene where all the Knights of Matilda turn in their badges to support Camus and Mikoltov (Molotov? I can't remember) in joining with the hero. I am constantly blown away by this game-- its complex plot is both heartwarming and heartrending, the characters are all distinct and likable, its visuals are absolutely beautiful with tons and tons of animation and personality, and its soundtrack is simply superb.

I'm a huge Matsuno fan, and this game reminds me of his work a lot. The writing isn't his style so much (and the localization is somewhat subpar, with an iffy translation and a number of audio errors), but the plot and character relationships remind me so much of Final Fantasy Tactics with Ramza and Delita. The hero and Jowy have such a well-developed relationship. I can't remember the last time I've played a video game and had my feelings for all the various characters change so drastically and so rapidly. And that's what I really like about it: it's full of genuine, emotional moments that focus on these strong character relationships.

There's not a whole lot about saving the world or defeating a prehistoric evil, there's simply a conflict between two political entities and the struggle one side faces in uniting against a powerful empire and the crazed Luca Blight, who totally lives up to the hype as the darkest, nuttiest villain in JRPG history. And there are so many amazing scenes that I've been genuinely affected by: the hero's return home to his sister Nanami, Nanami, Pilika, and the hero's wait for Jowy's return home (and his subsequent "betrayal"), the hero being raised to Lord of North Window, the knights and their medals, and so many more.

The battle system is also great fun. The encounter rate is fair and battles are lightning fast. Formations allow them to be somewhat strategic and entertaining. "War battles" (think Advance Wars) are full on strategy battles between the two armies and often allow for some cool intertwining of narrative and gameplay.

I just love all these characters so much and the plot is so controlled and intriguing. The graphics are amazingly detailed and full of personality and life. I feel like I've missed so much by missing this series and I feel like a bunch of you probably have too. You should play Suikoden-- you'll like it!

HotHamBoy

Many of these are good games but if you haven't played it, this is e a s y.

SUIKODEN II

It is the best RPG I think I've ever played. The characters are lovable and lovably animated. The battles are fast. The music is excellent. The villain is legendary. The story will not disappoint.

I finished Suikoden 1 for the first time a few months ago. I thought it was okay. Just started Suikoden II a couple weeks ago and I'm only two hours in. It's got great character and a lot of improvements but it hasn't grabbed me. The frequency of random battles is still WAY too high for my tastes.

Earthbound has high encounter rates, too, but they can be seen and can be avoided if you exploit the way the game generates them.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I finished Suikoden 1 for the first time a few months ago. I thought it was okay. Just started Suikoden II a couple weeks ago and I'm only two hours in. It's got great character and a lot of improvements but it hasn't grabbed me. The frequency of random battles is still WAY too high for my tastes.

Earthbound has high encounter rates, too, but they can be seen and can be avoided if you exploit the way the game generates them.

The game should hook you with a little extra time. Where are you at in the game right now?

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the best winter game. Read the manual, read some tips online, and then dive in and explore Mira. I'm probably going to replay it soon. The combat is deep and rewarding and there's always something to do.

Can you replay XCX without deleting your original save? I'd love to replay it sometime, but I put 200 hours into my first play through.

Jay Sosa

Suikoden I just exists so you can appreciate the second one even more. And 2 hours in an JRPG are like 5 minutes in a normal game. Of course it hasn't grabbed you yet.

Either that or you're insane.

Wichu

Can you replay XCX without deleting your original save? I'd love to replay it sometime, but I put 200 hours into my first play through.

Yeah, create a new user on your Wii U. The save is tied to the user account, so if you create a new one you can start a new save and switch back to your main user account to go back to your original save.

I'm waiting for the rumoured Switch port myself :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So OP I did says TRAILS IN THE SKY

But I'm going to do one more. I'm ignoring any you've played already (Chrono Trigger is fucking awesome but replaying on the DS is much more for replaying the excellent regular game on a hanhdeld, than the lackluster extra content).

Games you need to play.

TRAILS IN THE SKY
SUIKODEN I & 2.
XENOBLADE CHRONICLES
(If you have a good PC play this shit on Dolphin with a higher resolution and some mods!)

But take your time. Don't feel the need to rush any of these.

Suikoden I is more of like a primer for the much better and excellent Suikoden II. It's also much shorter. Wwwwwhile you could skip it, I wouldn't. There's many returning characters and bonuses from importing a completed save.

Aeana will probably come in here to tell you to play the DQ games so I'm going to ignore even bringing those up and allow her to while telling you to put DQVII on the list. They are excellent RPG's, especially DQV on your list.

Suikoden II is the GOAT. Played through the game three times all on different phases of my life, still love it.

But don't skip on Suikoden 1. It's also a pretty great game. As the games are both fairly short, I think you can finish both easily during your break.

ar4757

Rune Factory 3 or 4, the first one's not as good. Still worth playing though.

Also I read the OP but still can't help but recommend others in your list - Pokémon Soul Silver and SMT: Digital Devil Saga

RainForce

Banned
You have a Wii U, which means you have access to the best RPG of the year, Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Since you have SMT games on your list, you need to play it.

MomoQca

I'd say either one of the Xenoblade games. But if I had to choose, I pick Xenoblade Chronicles. The overall package of the first game is better than Xenoblade Chronicles X. The story, gameplay, and world is phenomenal.

StereoVsn

The only right answer is Soul Hackers. It's an awesome game with all the right 80's-90s cyberpunk stings with this that sweet SMT flavor. It has a fun story, great characters, awesome setting and good combat system (in places outdated but still great, just read up on some initial character choices). Love this game.

Alternatively go with Trails or Chrono Trigger (go with Trails). Xenoblade (OG) is the Open World pick as IMO it's better then the sequel in many regards.

Edit: OP, while missing some good games, this is an amazing list that will last a year.

Right now, number of votes is like this:

Xenoblade Chronicles: 15
Lost Odyssey: 9
Suikoden II: 8
Trails in the Sky: 7
Dragon Quest V, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Ni no Kuni PS3: 4 (I'm adding a vote to DQV because someone says I had to play one of them, though (s)he didn't specify which one).
Pokémon Soul Silver, Mother 3, Suikoden, SMT III Nocturne, Nier: 3
Bravely Default, Mega Man Battle Network, SMT Digital Devil Saga, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth : 2 (the people who voted for MMBN said 2 and 3 are the best ones though)
Dragon Quest IV, Rune Factory, The Last Story, Final Fantasy Tactics (WofL), Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout 3: 1

I actually ignored my own rules -.- and registered a vote even when some of you mentioned several games. I'll wait a few hours for EuropeGAF to see my thread but I have to check how much money I have in my Nintendo account because it seems that I'll play the digital version of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Suikoden
Suikoden II. My first experience with Suikoden was the infamous Suikoden IV…

I and II are orders of magnitude better than IV. II especially is a masterpiece despite the inhibited localization.

PC

Trails in the Sky

Another great long dark cold winter day series. You'll have FIVE to play sometime next year. FIVE.

My vote is for Ni No Kuni. It's a big, beautiful, traditional JRPG experience which I think is what you are looking for over the break.

Izuna

Banned
I'm dying to play Overclocked, though. Should I assume you're voting for DeSu?

Oh, you know what? I didn't see it on your list. It wasn't entirely alphabetical so I missed it. I haven't played the sequel myself, I hope you enjoyed the original :)

I don't know what Overclocked does differently.

In that case, I'd say that you'd best not play Infinite Undiscovery. It drags a little and the fun combat is ruined by the performance. I'd say to wait in case it becomes BC and has better fps.

Otherwise, I'd vote for Lost Odyssey. It's a good A to B RPG with somewhat challenging side-quests and no missables.

Feeroper

THIS

As a third suggestion, add Yakuza to your PS list. Please.

This is a series I`ve long been interested in but not sure where to start. Yakuza 1 seems to be a no brainer, but I don't have access to it or a PS2 presently. I wish there was a PSN port of this game and Yakuza 2. I have 4 & 5 on PS3 as part of prior PS+ free games previously, but I haven't played them because I figure Ill be missing out on the whole experience without 1 & 2.

NeOak

+1 for Xenoblade Chronicles

I'm still debating whether to continue on the 3DS or start again on the Wii U

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
This is a series I`ve long been interested in but not sure where to start. Yakuza 1 seems to be a no brainer, but I don't have access to it or a PS2 presently. I wish there was a PSN port of this game and Yakuza 2. I have 4 & 5 on PS3 as part of prior PS+ free games previously, but I haven't played them because I figure Ill be missing out on the whole experience without 1 & 2.

I started at 5 and was totally fine honestly. I just got a very different and interesting view on the characters from way later in their life.

As for Yakuza 1. I think if you have a PS4 jumping in at 0(which is a prequel to 1) which comes in January is like the perfect way to start. Then Kiwami hits the west about half a year later from 0.

If you then aren't still overdosed you can do 4-5 and 3 on ps3 before going into 6 in 2018

SephLuis

Yakuza 1 didn't aged as well as the other games in the series. Yakuza 2 (in the PS2) is regarded as one of the best in the series and has aged much, much better.

Since you have Y4 and Y5 on the PS3, start with Yakuza 4. Yakuza 4 introduces three new protagonists and every game is a self-contained story using some key characters throughout the series. Y4 also has recaps on Yakuza 1-2-3 but I wouldn't recommend seeing them if you intent to play them eventually.

Next year, in january, Yakuza 0 will launch on the PS4. It's a prequel to the entire series and a great starting point. Yakuza Kiwami is set for summer and it's a remake of Yakuza 1.

TL;DR: Start Yakuza 4. Check Yakuza 0 once it releases in january.

Top Bottom