• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVII| I don't really care if /mu/ cry

Tokubetsu

i dont like anything on this new trippie redd
wack production
wack choruses

nothing compares or touches love scars/blade of woe or anything off love letter to you 1 closest it gets is Hellboy

That new CunninLynguists is superb and is easily my favorite album of the year so far.

I didn't know they released a new album. Good thing I lurked here. I just saw those two 3 track EPS they released earlier. They're my favorite rap group.

Edit: I see it. GDBee could've made a better album cover than that. I like her art, but sometimes that shit be looking bland and not 3-dimensional enough. The background for that could have a little something going on. That shit looks bland.

Edit2: Saw the album cover on bandcamp. Nevermind it looks fine.

Moonkid

How's the music in the movie? Is it a lot of reusing Vangelis music, or is there a decent amount of new music?
It's virtually all new aside from one remixed piece. How much you enjoy it, if you plan to see it which I'd recommend!, depends on your tastes. Personally it was my least favourite part of the film by some margin.

That feel when you can't see Blade Runner till January because China :(

EDIT: This Iglooghost is some fucking heat though. I'm really fucking with this album. It's like bottled chaos that's barely being held together. There's so many different things happening at once in tracks; samples, odd instruments, pounding drums, Igloo's synths, and it just works so well.

Moonkid

That feel when you can’t see Blade Runner till January because China :(
Fuck, that's rough. This is definitely one to catch in theatres. I don't wanna give too much away as far as the music goes but I would have preferred to see an electronic musician get the gig, or at least have them collaborate with a film composer.

Fuck, that's rough. This is definitely one to catch in theatres. I don't wanna give too much away as far as the music goes but I would have preferred to see an electronic musician get the gig, or at least have them collaborate with a film composer.
I hope someone does what Nicolas Jaar did with "The Colour of Pomegranates", and just create a soundtrack of their own inspired by the film.

Moonkid

I hope someone does what Nicolas Jaar did with "The Colour of Pomegranates", and just create a soundtrack of their own inspired by the film.
Would pay to see this and a Johannsson-cut would be dope too although we'll probably never see that due to contracts and what not.

Damn, that's rough. I just went to China last month and they had Dunkirk, so I would've assumed that Blade Runner would be there by around like November or December.
A friend was saying that BR did get certified to show here, but it was contingent on a whole lot of cuts and I'd rather see the OG version than one the Chinese government has deemed acceptable for the populace. So, I'd be waiting till January anyway to see the film. I really did want to see it in Imax though, so hopefully another run happens around then.

EDIT: Today is kind of a dumpster fire on this board between the ScreenJunkies thread and the Fantano thread.

Koozek

Pretty bad. It's classic Zimmer, and it just doesn't fit with the movie in general.

Easily my least favourite part about it.
Yeah, was pretty boring. Watched the first Blade Runner for the first time yesterday before we went to see the new one and its soundtrack was so good (and the set design, whew).

EDIT: Damn, listening to the BR OST right now and it's amazing.

This is Reggae, but I don't give a fuck.

They put my negro Chronixx on NPR. I've been following this motherfucker for a couple years. Good shit. Opens up with "Skankin Sweet". If you haven't listened to Chronology you should. 2nd best reggae album of the year.
I see they also put Bomba Estereo on there too. Hell yeah!

Courage

What did y'all make of Anthony's response?

He's still a piece of shit. Him pointing out his videos are just shitty 'satire' or whatever isn't gonna change it. Dude isn't strictly alt-right like the Fader article paints him to be, moreso a centirst with delusional Bernie stan tendencies if we're being honest, but should still should be condemned for siding with people that associate themselves with the alt-right, or at least alt-right ideologies, because he's team #BOTHSIDES.

PlayDat

Real Gs stopped fucking with Fantano 3 years ago. Trash reviews, trash politics, trash fanbase.

Qi3CGwv.gif

Noisey interview: billy woods Is at the Forefront of Rap's Avant-Garde

Kaizer

Banned

Yeah, was pretty boring. Watched the first Blade Runner for the first time yesterday before we went to see the new one and its soundtrack was so good (and the set design, whew).

EDIT: Damn, listening to the BR OST right now and it's amazing.

Should've had a bunch of artists from Warp Records do the music, would've made for an awesome album.

Moonkid

Should've had a bunch of artists from Warp Records do the music, would've made for an awesome album.
It's the big what-if that's gonna surround this movie for me, partly because everything else was so expertly executed. FlyLo did the anime short's music, would have been cool to hear him tackle the full movie. I think Aphex Twin could have done something great too. It must be a little bittersweet because working on the music for a sequel to Blade Runner would be a dream-project for many.

I think it's better to post a rec list tailored to what you have liked in the past then worrying about random user's top threes...Totally with you on Big Fish Theory btw.

Check out:

Lando Chill's The Boy Who Spoke To The Wind - It has that same sort of high concept craft as Danny's recently more serious output

Quelle Chris's Being You Is Great, I Wish I Could Be You More Often - More akin to Danny's earlier output, balances humor and looming darkness well

JID's The Never Story - Hits that that sort of mid-tempo/downtempo balance as an Rashad record with a similar ambivalent subject matter.

Freddie Gibb's You Only Live 2wice - Cuz you like Freddie

Young Thug's Young Martha - Cuz You Like Young Martha

If you want more recommendations, name some other stuff you liked

Thank you, I'm gonna start working my way through these.

Edit: Damn I missed a Billy Woods record too. Got a lot of good stuff to catch up on.

HiResDes

He's still a piece of shit. Him pointing out his videos are just shitty 'satire' or whatever isn't gonna change it. Dude isn't strictly alt-right like the Fader article paints him to be, moreso a centirst with delusional Bernie stan tendencies if we're being honest, but should still should be condemned for siding with people that associate themselves with the alt-right, or at least alt-right ideologies, because he's team #BOTHSIDES.
Agreed

I never realized how incredible "Be (Intro)" was until last week or so (whenever the person in this thread posted on it), even though I've always loved the final song.
It forms a nice trio with "Dynasty (Intro)" and "Stillmatic (Intro)".
Which song would you say is the best out of those three, and what similar style (single verse, spoken wordish, urgent beat, etc etc) intros would you group with them as incredible/the best of the best?
What did y'all make of Anthony's response?
I obviously don't need to elaborate on my stance.

Kaizer

Banned
Wtf, why did they cut it off!?

Idk why, but they've been doing that for a lot of Rhythm Roulette episodes now, kinda defeats the purpose if we don't get to hear the finished product. They should really have a SoundCloud page put up that's posts all the beats/tracks after they put up a video.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Belly's Mumble Rap is really good pretty much throughout, and a surprisingly short listen as it keeps moving. I've warmed up to the singles I was iffy on too. One of the better first listens this year.

Didn't like Inzombia so this is a great surprise. Standouts off the top of my head are Immigration To The Trap, Make a Toast, and P.O.P.

Omzz

Belly's Mumble Rap is really good pretty much throughout, and a surprisingly short listen as it keeps moving. I've warmed up to the singles I was iffy on too. One of the better first listens this year.

Didn't like Inzombia so this is a great surprise. Standouts off the top of my head are Immigration To The Trap, Make a Toast, and P.O.P.
Make a toast was dope. Pretty cool to see him wit jay and releasing music. Come a long way from massari features

Sup guys!

Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc) - Dirty South
What’s your favorite subgenre of rap e.g. Conscious, G-Funk, Hyphy, Trap, Chopped & Screwed, Gangster, etc.? - Trap
Favorite Artists (Pick Five)
- Travis Scott
- Lil B
- Kendrick Lamar
- Kanye West
- Slum Village
Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)
- The Story So Far
- Porter Robinson
- Seahaven
- Toro y Moi
- Periphery
What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY?
- untitled unmastered; Current AOTY has to be DAMN.
What are you listening to right now?
Feels So Good - A$AP Mob
What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for?
- I'd have to come back to figure out the guilty pleasure, but I've never listened to The Blueprint.
Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
- Dom Kennedy - Get Home Safely > LAINFS > 2:FTW,WS > By Dom Kennedy

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
belly's best song is the first 1 minute 40 seconds of "might not"
Either History of Violence or Money Go TBH #versatility

Make a toast was dope. Pretty cool to see him wit jay and releasing music. Come a long way from massari features
Yeah, from that RapRadar interview with Jay, seems like he has quite a lot of confidence in him. I think he's slowly getting to a point where he can carve out his own lane, but I don't know what that lane would look like and whether it will ever hit mainstream, Weeknd features or not.

I'm ready for Massari's comeback too

Top Bottom