• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: How was Splinter Cell: Conviction?

JB1981

I am really into Arkham City right now and want to play another stealth title once I'm finished.

I figure Conviction might be a good choice for this. I tried the demo late last night and it seemed pretty OK. It was hard to get used to the different control scheme after playing Arkham (reload on left stick? weird) but I liked that there seemed to be a lot of different tools at your disposal. Apart from the stealth are the shootouts well designed and is the cover system fluid once you get the hang of things?

I like stealth, more games need stealth.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ehh.. Below mediocre.

( its okay if you can find it under 20 I'd say )

I had some fun with it but I played through it more just to get through it at some point. The "stealth" is retarded in this game. I went hiding into a toilet stall after awhile in one level where I guess I was supposed to escape or just wait but I heard guards looking ALL OVER the place but they never went into the bathroom..

ultron87

It isn't really a stealth game like the old Splinter Cells were. The unfortunate thing is that most of the time you just shoot everyone in the head instead of sneaking past them, because it is way more effective.

Oh yeah, and co-op is super fun.

Philia

I am really into Arkham City right now and want to play another stealth title once I'm finished.

Someone said that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is everything Splinter Cell wanted to be. So get Deus Ex:HR instead.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Not terrible. Coop game modes are probably the highlight.

I'm not a huge fan of stealth, and for the most part I didn't have to be all that stealthy. Although I'm sure it would be easier if I were.

H3xum

It's a good game but doesn't really feel like classic splinter cell. If you like the Batman games, I think you'll enjoy it.

Beat me, even so early.

It's good if you're not expecting a SC game. I liken it to a poor mans Deus Ex if you're playing a stealth build

Foffy

Banned
Splinter Cell: Conviction is less about being stealthy and more about taking out enemies quickly.

If you're more familiar with the older Splinter Cell games where you can get through locations many times without attacking a single guard, Conviction is not the game for you. The game is all about quick kills and rewards for said kills.

Dyno

Played it at a friends house for an evening. Boring and too easy for the most part. The special vision ability made it a stealth game for casuals. The one thing I did like about it was how the objectives were projected on walls like a film. That was a cool idea that kept you in the game.

I didn't play Conviction but for the love of god do not play Alpha Protocol if you want to play a stealth game.

The stealth in that game is like having an auto-win button.

surly

Banned
I really liked it, but I am not a big fan of heavy stealth games so I guess you can consider that a thumbs down if you're looking for a really good stealth game.

Really, why the game to some people ranges from bad to mediocre? I would like some answers with some fundament instead of the usual "meh mediocre game".

To the original poster, it's a good game that took the Splinter Cell formula to a more action oriented level. However, you can still play in a more stealth way although is harder to pull off this style of play than in the other games.

It has an exellent co op mode with similar play style to the older games. Has the mark an execution that some other games borrowed, control beautifully a really creative and cool implementation of the cover system. Close quarters are a massive improvement from the other games.

Also the game is really cheap this days so for the price it's a worthwhile investment of your time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Get it on sale on PC like I did. It's not worth more than 5.

conviction_game2011-076t7g.png

conviction_game2011-07bpm9.png

conviction_game2011-07ltee.png

Ricky_R

It was an average/passable third person action game when looking at it as a stand alone game. A fucking travesty of epic proportions when compared to other Splinter Cell games (yeah, even DA).

I won't lie, I had a bit of fun with Conviction (interrogation moves were cool) as I can take almost anything for what it is, but the mere fact that Splinter Cell was arguably the franchise that offered the most satisfying gameplay for me, was enough this time to make me think this game was a pile a shit when all was said and done.

teraMEL0S

If you're really dying for some stealth, try the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. It's on Xbox and it's glorious in 60 frames.

Jamesways

The story is just ok. It devolves into a corridor shooter near the end.

But oh man the DENIABLE OPS! Them right there are worth the price of the game. You can play these very similar to the SC of old. Take your time, don't use the silly M&E mechanic, try not to even leave a body where they can be seen (true, you can't move bodies after the fact, but you sure can grab a hostage and move them to a nice dark spot before disposing them).

There's even an infiltration mode where if you're seen at all you fail.

I still do quite a bit of no gadget, no weapon runs through the maps. Just hand to hand takedowns. And if they find a body or get alarmed and bring bring out flashlights, I'll start over. It takes a while. But the maps are very well designed so that there are multiple paths through them, some paths with minimal light as possible. And the DLC maps are great too.

The DO maps, I'm telling you, as stealthy as want to play them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How was Splinter Cell: Conviction?

An abortion. Ubisoft took a knife to the once fertile womb of Tom Clancy this generation but the worst victim in it was the Splinter Cell baby.

"Press B to melee and then RT to kill 3 other dudes in a hack mark system! Enjoy!"

There was no stealth and the little stealth there was was broken by the melee/mark 3 people for the Five-seveN system. I really dunno what the developers were thinking with it but they should've went "wait, we're making a stealth game the fuck we need this for!?" and scrapped it.

No Spy vs Merc also makes me cry.

d00d3n

Conviction was underrated. The cover mechanic was original and felt great. If I remember things correctly the cover system in Human Revolution was highly influenced by Conviction.

PooBone

Had some interesting concepts, but it was short, the story was pretty lame, and there was several parts that I got stuck on for quite long periods of time. All in all, not a must play.

JB1981

Hmm.. seems like some liked it and most would pass. I actually do have Deus Ex (still wrapped). I have a big backlog right now that I'm trying to get through. If Deus Ex is a good stealth game then maybe that will be my next game.

You miss out on a lot of great singleplayer experiences when you devote too much time to multiplayer.

thefil

While it might be worth the $5 I paid for it, it definitely was not worth my time. The co-op is marginally better than the single player but really, you can do better. Upvote for MGS HD collection, at least that is fun.

*edit* DXHR is a better stealth game than Conviction for sure.

lucius

Yeah felt more action than stealth, also felt like I was more of a ruthless killer in this game than the other ones for some reason. Beat it pretty fast too a couple days about 8 hours. I agree with the Deus Ex HR is a better game to pick up if you have not played that yet even though you will pay a little more it is worth it.

I bought it for $10 and felt I paid an appropriate amount. It's enjoyable for what it is even though it's a far cry from what the series used to be.

I figure Conviction might be a good choice for this. I tried the demo late last night and it seemed pretty OK. It was hard to get used to the different control scheme after playing Arkham (reload on left stick? weird) but I liked that there seemed to be a lot of different tools at your disposal. Apart from the stealth are the shootouts well designed and is the cover system fluid once you get the hang of things?

You need this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZpzp7o4YMU

Voila, just saved you a few bucks.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hmm.. seems like some liked it and most would pass. I actually do have Deus Ex (unwrapped). I have a big backlog right now that I'm trying to get through. If Deus Ex is a good stealth game then maybe that will be my next game.

You miss out on a lot of great singleplayer experiences when you devote too much time to multiplayer.

DEUS EX IS MUCH BETTER

I should really get back into that though as I havent even finished it yet.. lol! *boots up DEUS EX HR*

Fox the Sly

Even as a Splinter Cell fan from day 1 I really liked it. It's definitely a departure from the previous games, and as mentioned before, if you wanted more of Chaos Theory you'll be disappointed. Also like snoopeasystreet said, if you liked Batman Arkham Asylum, you'll like this. Oh, and the co-op is quite fun.

My main gripe with the game is the fact that you can't move bodies around. I have no idea what they were thinking with that...

i liked it enough to play through it on hard! It had some pretty good innovations regarding the sneaking/action adventure genre.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Ehh.. Below mediocre.

( its okay if you can find it under 20 I'd say )

I had some fun with it but I played through it more just to get through it at some point. The "stealth" is retarded in this game. I went hiding into a toilet stall after awhile in one level where I guess I was supposed to escape or just wait but I heard guards looking ALL OVER the place but they never went into the bathroom..

I did the exact same thing. Just waited it out until the car arrived to pick me up. The whole game was disappointing, more action less stealth = not a splinter cell game.

god awful, almost everything that was stealth about the series gone, like being forced into killing wave after wave of enemies like it was uncharted and gears

Listen JB1981, if you get the game for cheap go for it, specially on PC.

The people that classify the game as an abortion fail to understand that it was a necessary departure in a series that was running dry of ideas. However, it does have the dark operative mode that has similar gameplay style to the old games and can be played cooperatively.

It has some really good ideas in there and by no means it's mediocre in any context. We could only wish the industry would be plagued by games with this degree of mediocrity.

Also you can stealth the game or at least run trough it without much shooting but is a lot harder that in the other games of the series. People that said other wise didn't invest time in doing it, that's all.

Loxley

Take "Splinter Cell" out of the game's title and it was a pretty awesome and well-polished stealth-action game, with some interesting stylistic touches. Personally I had a lot of fun with it.

As a Splinter Cell game? Eh...

lucius

Part of the gameplay for me was to try to get seen then just move and take enemies out as they serch the last spot you were seen which was ok, but kind of defeats the definition of stealth game, but I guess you don't have to play it that way just it worked out easier playing that way and once you know about it I ended up using it all the time.

Anyway I got the game really cheap so was not a total waste.

I thought Splinter Cell: Conviction was a fantastic game.

Just don't go into it thinking it's a Splinter Cell game and you're fine. :)

As a Splinter Cell game it was a letdown. But it really is a good game. The single player on Realistic difficulty is good, but really short. And Deniable Ops, while no where even close to as good as Spies vs Mercs, is very fun. It's not the next gen SC I and many others were pining for, but it's still worth playing.

It's imho, a very good action game with some stealthy elements for good measure. Knowing that, you'll have a great time.

But if you want a stealth game like the older SC or MGS, prepare to be bitterly disappointed. I second all those who suggest playing Deus Ex HR instead.

Ricky_R

I'm certain that if they have opted for real shadows for our optional stealth kills, instead of that awful black and white design choice, it would've been better.

The problem is that even though there was a vague stealth approach, the game was made with action adventure in mind and the combat scenarios weren't that fun when trying to do stealth. However, the action aspect of the game was cool and made you feel kinda epic.

The game was a major step back IMO.

I thought Splinter Cell: Conviction was a fantastic game.

Just don't go into it thinking it's a Splinter Cell game and you're fine. :)

haha, yeah this. I had not played any Splinter Cell games before it so i had no comparison to other entries in the series. I compared it to Metal Gear and other 3rd person shooters / stealth games and it was really good!

The single player was alright but me and my friend had a great time with the split-screen coop. I only wish you could unlock stuff just by playing co-op instead of having to play through the single player. =/

My first Splinter Cell game and I liked it a lot. Worst part of the game is all the exposition you often have to go through, kind of makes it hard to play through the game multiple times.

The co-op stuff is absolutely fantastic although I wish there was a mode where you just had to go through stealthily and not have to kill every dude along the way.

Jamesways

Ubisoft took a knife to the once fertile womb of Tom Clancy this generation

You're really right about that. It's sad. There are so many questionable design decisions in this, can't knock people out, can't whistle or make a noise to attract guards, can't move bodies, no Spy vs Merc. It's such a far cry from the old SC. Like I said, in the DO maps, you can play similar to the old ones, but you have to handicap yourself to some extent, and work around the design to do so (like shuffling a hostage to a dark area). But, the maps are a lot of fun like that though. No weapons, no gadgets, only hand to hand, not being seen, it's tough.

I'm really not looking forward to seeing what they did with Ghost Recon either, from what I've seen, it's a pass from me already. I sure hope R6 is back to form.

And I know Namco/Bandai created Ace Combat:AH, and Ubisoft is only the publisher, but that's the same, streamlined, parts on rails, have to go into to the DFM. It really does feel like it's "Press B to win" with some of these.

Top Bottom