• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: How was Splinter Cell: Conviction?

RdN

Single player is average. Coop is fun but short. Lack of Spies vs Mercs is a disgrace to the series.

aerts1js

I've just started playing through Assassin's Creed 2 and after a rather slow start I'm starting to enjoy the game quite a bit so I guess I'd have to recommend that!

EYEL1NER

I'm not a Splinter Cell fanboy, so I was able to enjoy the game a lot.
I understand why fans of the series were upset over the move from stealth to action, but I liked the gunplay and the visuals and style of the game.

Ricky_R

I understand why fans of the series were upset over the move from stealth to action, but I liked the gunplay and the visuals and style of the game.

It's very difficult to not be biased about it to tell you the truth.

boring ass Splinter Cellz for Babiez game that requires zero skills with controls so streamlined and insipid it's not really worth whatever price it's being sold today

menus were cool though

JB1981

I'm not either. Sounds like Splinter Cell hardcore hated it for deviating from hardcore stealth and gamers who weren't emotionally connected to the series found a lot to like. I will probably give it a try somewhere down the line. I think those who said I should finish ACII and Deus Ex first are right. I think I will play those first lol

megamerican

It was playable, but unremarkable in every way. Seems like they started with a concept of a more personal take on the series, then gave up halfway in and phoned in the usual conventional bullshit story.

The only standout feature worth mentioning is the tit physics on the red haired girl. Maybe the best tit physics I've ever seen.

I thought the mechanics were pretty cool. It was an interesting mix of stealth and action rather than stealth and/or action found in a lot of other games, but the level design funneled you too much and never gave you much room to experiment. Also, the game is way too easy. Using the five-seven gave you four free kills, and there usually aren't many more guys than that in an area.

Not to mention it's like three hours long and it still wastes time with chase scenes and helicopter fights and blegh.

It was great, it wasn't your typical Splinter Cell game which is one reason why people didn't care for it, but it was still tons of fun and the co-op was so great.

plc268

Not bad at all. Ignore the fact that it's called splinter cell, and then you won't be bothered that they bastardized the SC series.

tzare

i didn't like it at first but ended enjoying it, especially the missions. It an interesting departure from original SC, more casual maybe, and i hope more are made in the future. I also would like to see classic SC gameplay too :there's room for both.

Nakimushi

Banned
GAF = Assassin creed ... its bad since its this same game
Splinter cell CV - terrible meh ... since its not splinter cell game

;))

I rent xbox to play this game ... I think its really good and fun
worth it to get it since its probably really cheap now like 19$ ?

Razlo

Terrible stealth game, terrible Splinter Cell game and ignoring all that, it was overly simplified and not particularly fun.

legacyzero

Banned
Dumbed down trash.
this.

I had the opportunity to get it for $1 on the Ubi website when they goofed up the price. I passed on it BASED ON PRINCIPLE.

mainly because they took the Spy Versus Merc multiplayer out, and replaced it with sorry excuse for a 1v1 noob match.

kuYuri

It's pretty good. Deniable Ops and especially in co-op is one of the best additions to the game. It's probably my favorite one and I've played all the main Splinter Cell games.

Oemenia

Banned
Play the game on Hardest difficulty and its perfect. The developers hit a sweet spot of getting stealth kills, executions and simple shot kills.

Edit: Lets not forget the excellent co-op campaign and the DLC released which is better than whats already on the disc.

I enjoyed it. Co-op is a blast. If you have a partner who can hold their own. It's definitely not like the older splinter cell games but then again after double agent, things seemed pretty dull.

soultron

Banned
would suggest you play chaos theory instead, best splinter cell imo

I agree with this, but the OP is coming from a game like Batman. Conviction is much more similar to that style of stealth action than Chaos Theory is, even if Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell. (It is, IMO.) Conviction is better-suited to the OP's request.

Sober

Listen JB1981, if you get the game for cheap go for it, specially on PC.

The people that classify the game as an abortion fail to understand that it was a necessary departure in a series that was running dry of ideas. However, it does have the dark operative mode that has similar gameplay style to the old games and can be played cooperatively.

It has some really good ideas in there and by no means it's mediocre in any context. We could only wish the industry would be plagued by games with this degree of mediocrity.

Also you can stealth the game or at least run trough it without much shooting but is a lot harder that in the other games of the series. People that said other wise didn't invest time in doing it, that's all.
It it ain't broke, don't fix it. Conviction (SP at least) was fine as a Jack Bauer game perhaps, but they shouldn't have ruined Sam Fisher over making Splinter Cell more action-y after SCCT was so well made and well received.

But since the OP is coming from Batman stealth, then yes, Conviction makes you feel like a lightning fast predator but with headshots instead of broken bones, so it is in the same vein. Otherwise, you need to play SCCT because that was the pinnacle of the series and stealth gameplay, IMO.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Cool for a few hours, but forgettable after that

Get it under 30, sell it right after. But definitely worth playing at least once

Picked this up for $10 a while back expecting it to be mediocre but I loved it.

If you go into it without a preconceived notion of what a Splinter Cell game "should be", I think you'll enjoy it.

I prefer the current Bourne-esque route over the previous entries.

FStop7

Banned
Middling at best.

Though it did further my conspiracy theory that Sam Fisher actually went insane a while back and has been killing his friends and innocent people for quite some time.

Sorry for the bump but I figured it was better to discuss this here than start a new thread.

I finally got around to playing this one this weekend and I must say I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Sure, it isn't the Splinter Cell we all know and love but I knew that going in and my expectations were fairly low so I was pleasantly surprised by the game. It may not have been as stealth driven as I would have preferred but I would be lying if I said I didn't have a great time playing through it.

Anyone want to play some Deniable Ops? I don't have any friends who own this game and I'd really like to give it a shot.

Returners

Better than Double Agent (Ubi Shanghai version)

If you want to play 24 the game, get this.

Its not classic Splinter Cell, but it'll scratch the stealth itch.

Mediocre. I think this is the kind of game that would have been fine, good even, if there wasn't such expectation for it... but the game got hype because, y'know, Splinter Cell was the breakout series on the X-Box... But then it just slammed hard on the 360 and so when they re-imagined it, it was just dull as hell.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
It was an interesting direction to take the series. For the most part I think it worked and I enjoyed it.

Still I miss my sneaky, sneaky shadow fun.

Sorry for the bump but I figured it was better to discuss this here than start a new thread.

I finally got around to playing this one this weekend and I must say I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Sure, it isn't the Splinter Cell we all know and love but I knew that going in and my expectations were fairly low so I was pleasantly surprised by the game. It may not have been as stealth driven as I would have preferred but I would be lying if I said I didn't have a great time playing through it.

Anyone want to play some Deniable Ops? I don't have any friends who own this game and I'd really like to give it a shot.

dat iraq level...

otherwise, it was an okay game. Not very memorable (asside from the excellent co-op).

I was pleasantly surprised with Conviction (barring that level). It was a fun stealth/action game. Not too long, held interest, didn't get repetitive and ended. Can't complain when I picked it up for peanuts.

dat iraq level...

otherwise, it was an okay game. Not very memorable (asside from the excellent co-op).
Yeah, that was... something.

Story was horrid. AI was fucking abysmal. Infested with invisible walls. Ugly and dated engine. New game mechanics dumbed down difficulty.

Otherwise it was fantastic.
This is the type of post that helped lower my expectations appropriately going in. Personally I think you're being very hyperbolic with these statements but in this particular case I'll just thank you for it. :)

Daft_Cat

Middling. Sort of goes for a Jason Bourne type feel. The way they originally announced Conviction, as a "Sam Fisher being hunted in D.C" Assassin's Creed type game, sounded much more innovative than what we got. Felt like they just gave up and decided to push something out. Chaos Theory was much better. If you haven't played that one, I think there might be an HD collection with it.

If not, play Deus Ex 3.

Derrick01

Banned
Me said:
It's a decent action game but a massive rape of everything the series stood for.

I stand by my 4 month old comment. Really hoping Thief 4 pulls through since this series went down the mainstream shitter and Hitman looks like it will be following. The stealth trifecta's down to 1.

Sojgat

Very average game, but the cover system is probably the best ever. Moving from cover to cover is a joy, little else about the game is that great. Before you pay anything for it watch a video on youtube and see if the constant transitions into black & white bother you. It gave me a splitting headache

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
There's two kinds of stealth.

Passive stealth is about sneaking up on enemies and killing them before they know you're there. This is about being careful, slow, and methodical.

Active stealth is about getting engaged in a fight where the enemies know that you're around somewhere and they're actively looking for you. This kind of stealth is built around messing around with the heads of the enemy.

Splinter Cell Conviction is an amazing active stealth game. All the haters were just disappointed that it wasn't passive stealth like the previous Splinter Cell games.

Top Bottom