• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I think I'm done with Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

down 2 orth

GAF, I think after this gen I’m done with Sony. I’m not super angry at the company, or disgusted like I was with Microsoft last-gen, I just think that aside from their exclusives, they have nothing to offer me anymore.

Just to give a background, I’m a gamer for life. I probably had one or two hundred X-Box 360 games, but toward the end of the generation I was eager to switch. This was partly because I fell in love with games like Gran Turismo 5 and The Last of Us, partly because most of my friends and family had PS3s, and partly because I didn’t like Microsoft’s messaging to gamers and the way they treated indie devs. So I bought a beautiful Vita, got the PS4 soon after release, and exchanged it for a Pro when the time was right.

Now I think I’m done with Sony. It’s been good, but I feel like they are sending the same type of off-putting messages that Microsoft was sending at the end of the last generation. In particular, I don’t like how they are telling devs to censor the sexual content in their games now, and I’m thinking that for every skeleton of this type in their closet, there’s probably at least a handful more that haven’t come to light. I’m even fine with the angry narrative for TLOU2, but it also seems like an indication that the company is entering partisan nonsense, and I don’t want anything to do with that. So the writing is on the wall for me. I’m not a fan of this culture war stupidity, and I’m wondering if there’s a silent majority out there that feels the same.

I’m not sure what surprises the console makers have coming up for the next gen, but I’m thinking whatever they can offer, PC gaming will probably match and surpass it. It might mean I have to spend a bit more to join the fun, but so be it.

h3ad0rZ

If Sony not gonna fully reverse their censorship by the next gen, I'm definitely done with them too. Honestly, it feels like there's someone actually insane in power at their HQ and I don't really want to feed that mouth so to say :D.

Airbus Jr

Banned
If Sony not gonna fully reverse their censorship by the next gen, I'm definitely done with them too. Honestly, it feels like there's someone actually insane in power at their HQ and I don't really want to feed that mouth so to say :D.

If you're willing to sacrifice the odds to play something like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 on PS5 because you're upset Sony censored some underage japanime loli schoolgirl game with cleavage and white pants be my guess

Everyone has their own priority

bitbydeath

Sony are the only ones that bring out the fantastic games and unique experiences rather than just following the current money train. That’s why I stay with them, they are willing to gamble on things others would never dare do.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Certainly, it is odd to see the platform where most gamers are actually playing to be so under represented here on GAF (quite some grudesbit would appear) and it is especially odd when the PS4 software library has been so strong and so diversified, they have pumped out super strong first party games in all sorts of genres (2018 was especially super packed) and did tons of experimental new stuff (BOUND, The Last Guardian, Astrobot, Gravity Rush 2, Resogun, etc....), and finally did not send out a peripheral out to die (PSVR got a HW fix for the HDR pass through issue and got tons of titles and even controller improvements, see Aim Controller... not just pieces of plastic around two standard PS Move controllers).

I understand some things could be troubling, but I personally find, for now, the censoring issue way way much of a storm in a teacup / overblown issue and same thing about “inclusivity / politics” in some games, like TLoU... I am not sure if they will make the game better or worse because of their inclusion, but I have tolerated and enjoyed more than mindless entertainment in books and movies and paintings before: it can be done in games too and I do not see the entirety of Sony’s first party portfolio being twisted and perverted.

h3ad0rZ

If you're willing to sacrifice the odds to play something like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 on PS5 because you're upset Sony censored some underage japanime loli schoolgirl game with cleavage and white pants be my guess

I haven't even played the first one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
So yeah, everyone has their priorities. And I don't intend to push mine on anyone else.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I feel some other issue will be put up on the chalkboard of Sony is evil because... I am not enjoying even what they have done so far in terms of censorship on a principle basis, but it is being overblown too. It feels like there is a need to demonise them on some ground and as soon as one topic dries there is another convenient dirty talking point that people should be outraged about.

kevin_trinh

GAF, I think after this gen I’m done with Sony. I’m not super angry at the company, or disgusted like I was with Microsoft last-gen, I just think that aside from their exclusives, they have nothing to offer me anymore.

Just to give a background, I’m a gamer for life. I probably had one or two hundred X-Box 360 games, but toward the end of the generation I was eager to switch. This was partly because I fell in love with games like Gran Turismo 5 and The Last of Us, partly because most of my friends and family had PS3s, and partly because I didn’t like Microsoft’s messaging to gamers and the way they treated indie devs. So I bought a beautiful Vita, got the PS4 soon after release, and exchanged it for a Pro when the time was right.

Now I think I’m done with Sony. It’s been good, but I feel like they are sending the same type of off-putting messages that Microsoft was sending at the end of the last generation. In particular, I don’t like how they are telling devs to censor the sexual content in their games now, and I’m thinking that for every skeleton of this type in their closet, there’s probably at least a handful more that haven’t come to light. I’m even fine with the angry narrative for TLOU2, but it also seems like an indication that the company is entering partisan nonsense, and I don’t want anything to do with that. So the writing is on the wall for me. I’m not a fan of this culture war stupidity, and I’m wondering if there’s a silent majority out there that feels the same.

I’m not sure what surprises the console makers have coming up for the next gen, but I’m thinking whatever they can offer, PC gaming will probably match and surpass it. It might mean I have to spend a bit more to join the fun, but so be it.
Ermm ok fine, bye

Woo-Fu

Banned
"Except for games, Sony has nothing to offer me."

What did you want, dinner and a back rub?

Airbus Jr

Banned
I feel some other issue will be put up on the chalkboard of Sony is evil because... I am not enjoying even what they have done so far in terms of censorship on a principle basis, but it is being overblown too. It feels like there is a need to demonise them on some ground and as soon as one topic dries there is another convenient dirty talking point that people should be outraged about.

Tbh I think this cencorship issue is getting blowned out of proportion

The average gamers certainly won't be bothered about this..

When I asked my fellow ps gamer about this anime cencorship he like" eh..who cares"

And Neogaf certainly did not represent the global audience

Mind you this is the place where N64 beat PS2 in a poll awhile ago

Last edited:

ROMhack

I really like the PS4 but I do get what you're saying OP. Sony seem to have become a very Western-focused company and have lost a lot of the intriguing (and dare I say, quirky) Japanese qualities that made them an appealing company back 'in 't day. Their exclusives in particular all seem to be following the same style and I think I have no interest in them moving forward. They're all pretentious to me, largely because they often pretend to be more impactful than I've ever found them any of them to be.

As the generation has gone on they've produced less interesting titles, which I suspect means they'll be in a similar mode at the start of next gen. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'd love to see more original titles for the PS5 but I think Sony's mantra now is 'Go Big or Go Home'.

Funnily enough, I reckon Microsoft is more willing to experiment such is their desperation to recapture people's imaginations (and money).

Last edited:

down 2 orth

I don't think anyone here is going to defend that pedo shit, but then again that's not what this conversation is about. If that's all that they intend to censor, then fine by me.

But their message is this: “About the censorship, we tried to meet global standards.” It's about "the balance of the freedom of expression and safety for children."

Achelexus

Sony got too cocky with their dominance this gen. Doubt it will work for the next one, tho. Expect them to pull another PS3 fiasco and lose the console race for the gen.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sony got too cocky with their dominance this gen. Doubt it will work for the next one, tho. Expect them to pull another PS3 fiasco and lose the console race for the gen.

PS1 beat Dreamcast
PS2 beat Xbox
PS3 comes second
PS4 #1 again so far

4 generation and they only lost once so far

PS3 more like an outlier to me

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It would take something actually happening for me to write off one of the big 3. I can't imagine doing it just because "it looks like things are going to go in a way I don't like at some point in the future."

El_Belmondo

So you're abandoning Sony's landcaspe with the games that you supposedly love... because tits?

Well, at the very least Nintendo got you covered

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

4 generation and they only lost once so far

If you count only home console yeah, sure.

But then there's the other half

Last edited:

Ogbert

No biggie.

I stick to PC simply because of 60 fps. Sony exclusives don’t interest me, but I’ll always pick up Nintendo for Mario and Zelda.

cireza

Banned
Never liked Sony's first party output (to me these games are all the same), and their home consoles felt really cheap to me. However, the Vita OLED is a fantastic piece of hardware, and this is the only Sony console I won't ever part with. I also have a PSP Go, this was a very good hardware too.

Their attitude towards the Vita has been awful, it made me dislike them even more. So personaly, I never liked Sony, and I am definitely done with them.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I started out Sony this gen but find myself mostly playing XB and Switch with this gen wrapping up. I will most likely buy all consoles next gen and just buy the most games where it is the most appealing to buy them. I don’t fully swear off any company because all three have their good and bad.

Airbus Jr

Banned
So you're abandoning Sony's landcaspe with the games that you supposedly love... because tits?

Well, at the very least Nintendo got you covered

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

If you count only home console yeah, sure.

But then there's the other half

The other half seems to disappearing as well with Nintendo merging Switch into a console-handheld hybrid

So I think soon enough we won't be talking about "the other half" anymore

PC game and stop jumping on console bandwagons at launch. Wait a couple years and you get console revisions at 1/3rd off at minimum and cheap exclusives while the best of everything else is on PC anyway. As far as spending more, not really. There are tons of options for building a decent PC on the cheap and games are discounted all over the place on PC. No hard copies so it’s pretty much all digital but the discounts make it worth it. Spending $10-$40 for a game vs $30-$60 isn’t bad at all.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

That policy already exists with age restriction requirements.

The censorship so far shows this as well, hence why only underaged kids get censored.

Exactly. It's a pretext.

But I don't think anyone said they were only censoring minors? As far as I know, that's what Steam came out and said.

PC game and stop jumping on console bandwagons at launch. Wait a couple years and you get console revisions at 1/3rd off at minimum and cheap exclusives while the best of everything else is on PC anyway. As far as spending more, not really. There are tons of options for building a decent PC on the cheap and games are discounted all over the place on PC. No hard copies so it’s pretty much all digital but the discounts make it worth it. Spending $10-$40 for a game vs $30-$60 isn’t bad at all.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. It's going to be tough missing out on Bloodborne 2, so I might eventually get a used PS5 at the end of the generation a

bitbydeath

Exactly. It's a pretext.

But I don't think anyone said they were only censoring minors? As far as I know, that's what Steam came out and said.

Well I believe that’s all that has occurred.
But hey, if you rather game elsewhere then it’s totally your call, you don’t need a reason to move if you feel that strongly about it.

Me, I look at Sony and I see their investment in the unusual like VR in its infancy, AAA Interactive Dramas which nobody else is willing to touch or even the PlayLink titles and it reminds me of how they started SingStar or EyeToy back in the day.

They take risks and that’s what matters to me as a gamer.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I just think that aside from their exclusives, they have nothing to offer me anymore.
That's basically it in a nutshell for me as well, they are making more money because of the market today.
The services and policies they offer tend to frustrate me more than have the desired effect.
In typical Sony fashion they aren't in touch with consumers unless the noise is loud enough.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Eh... I do not understand why you guys get so worked up about this. I'm just chilling here and watching things unfold. You do not really give Sony any money when you buy their console. They get their biggest cut from game sales and PS+.
So I say just buy the damn console and support the games you want. For everything else there is PC.

That is what I am going to do in the future anyways. I don't like gaming being politicized and I'm not buying any more games who flock to this trend. So I'm going to be very carful with my game purchases.

But that is not issue for me since I love playing older games and still have a huge wishlist to work through. So I honestly do not care at all what the majority of devs are doing. It's actually fun to source out the upcoming games who do have this crap and then support them. :) And yeah, there will always be those games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
While I see this comment get made. I sit here with all types of games on my Sony device that I can't get anywhere else. I'm talking about non-AAA games and AAA games.

I don't understand it. I enjoyed the PS1-3 era. There are a ton of games I have on PS3 that I can't get anywhere else. Especially digital games.

What I don't get is that I can't even think of TLoU2 yet because there are so many other games to come out before that one. SMH I don't get the hate for them, especially after their long time support of Japanese developers.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Hopefully more people will jump off the Sony train and give us a real dogfight next gen for supremacy unlike this one where Sony is just coasting for the rest of this gen.

I switched to Xbox this gen after backwards compatibility and game pass. I have both systems but buy most titles on Xbox and only exclusives on sony’s System.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
How so? Let's be real here, what has Sony done that is so cocky? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am seeing this argument a lot and I just don't think it holds water.

Now if you want to make the argument that they are coasting at this point then that is fine. But I think people feel this way is because MS had made drastic strides to improve their system by offering things like BC and Gamepass.

But I am not sure I buy the argument that Sony has gotten cocky.

Great Hair

Banned
I’m even fine with the angry narrative for TLOU2, but it also seems like an indication that the company is entering partisan nonsense, and I don’t want anything to do with that. So the writing is on the wall for me. I’m not a fan of this culture war stupidity, and I’m wondering if there’s a silent majority out there that feels the same.

Care to elaborate on this? What culture war bullshit are we talking here? The first one had every ethnic /sex orientation covered, from gay, to lesbian, to blacks, to strong female leads ... to a strong father, some cars, clickers ... spores, WAAAT?! culture war BS are we talking here in general about TLOU2 or across all the Sony games?!

Ghost of Thusima? Maybe there´s a Tom Cruise Look-A-Like as an npc in the game, who knows.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, if people are jumping off after 2018's frankly stellar PS4 release schedule, I guess they'll never be happy.

Fake

Except for games, Sony has nothing to offer me.
Nintendo don't do the same?
I mean, this is 99,9% of the reason I have both Sony and Nintendo in my house... And my old brother house...and my cousin house...

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
For me it's about the games. If there are enough games I want on a specific console then I will eventually buy it.

Thiagosc777

Care to elaborate on this? What culture war bullshit are we talking here? The first one had every ethnic /sex orientation covered, from gay, to lesbian, to blacks, to strong female leads ... to a strong father, some cars, clickers ... spores, WAAAT?! culture war BS are we talking here in general about TLOU2 or across all the Sony games?!

Ghost of Thusima? Maybe there´s a Tom Cruise Look-A-Like as an npc in the game, who knows.

Common dude, there's an entire thread about it:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...has-been-filmed.1470043/page-7#post-253678259

Naughty Dog employees, include Neil Druckmann, are using it as some kind propaganda tool.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Dear
Common dude, there's an entire thread about it:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-last-of-us-part-ii’s-“most-complicated-and-heartwrenching-scene”-has-been-filmed.1470043/page-7#post-253678259

Naughty Dog employees, include Neil Druckmann, are using it as some kind propaganda tool.
I don't see the issue.

These kind of triggering posts are proof that those that claim to hate the SJW agenda have become exactly what they claim to hate.

Far right and far left people are two sides of the same coin and go around looking for reasons to be outraged and are accomplishing nothing, but ruining everything for everybody.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Dear

I don't see the issue.

These kind of triggering posts are proof that those that claim to hate the SJW agenda have become exactly what they claim to hate.

Far right and far left people are two sides of the same coin and go around looking for reasons to be outraged and are accomplishing nothing, but ruining everything for everybody.

Game developers spewing hatred on social media and people who point it out are just the same for pointing it out?

Logic, how does it work?

It is important to listen to what the developers are saying. It informs us what their products are going to look like when they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom