• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I think I'm done with Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. I personally would dump Microsoft and Nintendo combined before I even think of being done with Sony. 14 exclusives this gen from Sony alone for me including my game of the year for 2017 and 2018. If I didn't have Sony and PlayStation 4, I would probably quit gaming. LMAO.

I have my most anticipated exclusive and game in general with Days Gone in April and eventually Ghost of Tsushima and TLOUP2. Been a Sony and PlayStation fan since 1995 and nothing is going to change that.

StormCell

Too much console warring. I used to be a Nintendo fanboy. Now, all I want is what's best for the consumers.

Regarding the censorship controversy with Sony, I take issue with their process (ie. the approval process goes through some American group that requires all documents in english, etc) and a perceived inconsistency in how that process is applied (seems like only some games are made to pass this test while others get a free pass).

But whatever. I prefer less or even no censorship when it comes to content just the very same as I prefer rough, possibly hard to understand translations that are more blunt but preserve the culture as opposed to westernized translations that err on the side of making sense to a more ignorant audience.

I’m not sure about that. Guerilla Games who creates shooters creating Horizon Zero Dawn was a huge risk. Ratchet and Clank a platformer these days is a risk. Gravity Rush got a well deserved sequel and that’s another risk. Until Dawn, Ghost of tsunami, Gran Turismo, Motorstorm, Bloodborne, Demons Souls, Last of Us, Uncharted to name a few.

Sony probably has the most diverse portfolio out of the big three and seems to give their developers the most freedom. Nintendo is creative as well, but they tend to stick to tried and true, familiar franchises with a few new IP’s in between.

Hopefully, Sony’s newly found controversial direction won’t be too influential to their nationwide presence, creativity process and freedom and they will still cater to ALL regions and gamers.

I do agree that Sony has a pretty diverse portfolio and you could make a case that it's more diverse than Nintendo or MS, but thing is you could make a case otherwise both financially and creatively. Sony doesn't have a Ori and the Blind Forest or Cuphead, it didn't just buy two CRPG studios in [current year]. It doesn't have Super Mario Odyssey or Octopath Traveller and I don't think I need to name any kind of hardware risks Nintendo took from motion controls to a hybrid console. Naming examples doesn't make an argument correct when that goes both ways.

Point is, Sony has a good product and they have had one for 25 years. I've bought basically every gaming hardware they have put out and I was very pleased by each of them. I love their library. My GOAT game is a Sony exclusive. I hate how their fans act like Sony does something that nobody else does. It doesn't. Nintendo and MS also offer a good alternative should you want that and thankfully we live in a free market where we can choose what better suits our need.

Sony’s taking high risks making all their games third person cinematic experiences. It takes guts to spit the same game out with another theme over and over again.

Pretty much, this has gotten so silly that people are saying that The God of Us exemplifies bravery and boldness.

Buki1

Exactly! Thanks for helping prove my point.

TLOU2 - 3rd person cinematic featuring stealth bush hiding.
GoT - 3rd person cinematic featuring stealth bush hiding.

Yeah, Tlou2 and Ghost of Tsushima, completely identical games because they both include bushes and 3rd person camera. Completely opposite than more diverse Xbox One offer that includes Forza Motorsport 5, Forza Horizon 2, Forza Motorsport 6, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 4 - diverse games of different genres that look nothing alike.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I do agree that Sony has a pretty diverse portfolio and you could make a case that it's more diverse than Nintendo or MS, but thing is you could make a case otherwise both financially and creatively. Sony doesn't have a Ori and the Blind Forest or Cuphead, it didn't just buy two CRPG studios in [current year]. It doesn't have Super Mario Odyssey or Octopath Traveller and I don't think I need to name any kind of hardware risks Nintendo took from motion controls to a hybrid console. Naming examples doesn't make an argument correct when that goes both ways.

Point is, Sony has a good product and they have had one for 25 years. I've bought basically every gaming hardware they have put out and I was very pleased by each of them. I love their library. My GOAT game is a Sony exclusive. I hate how their fans act like Sony does something that nobody else does. It doesn't. Nintendo and MS also offer a good alternative should you want that and thankfully we live in a free market where we can choose what better suits our need.

Pretty much, this has gotten so silly that people are saying that The God of Us exemplifies bravery and boldness.

The more these discussion go the more they go in circles and to sometimes a bit absurd levels.

In the same post you both stated that you think Sony has a very diverse portfolio and that essentially all they make is third person cinematic interactive adventures (which ignores a huge host of games they have published and is IMHO a very reductive way of describing the experience their games provide and how they enrich and diversify the console overall lineup... taking away the word interactive and thinking about movies aren’t they all or wel most of them third person cinematic adventures and thus all the same? Adventure + action + third person or Blade Runner == Indiana Jones ;)?).

We are indeed lucky that we have three quite creative and in their own way innovative platform holders. It sometimes seems that Sony cannot be seem as innovating ever as the “c’mon do not act as Sony is the only one innovating” gets repeated each and every time someone talks about some area (like VR) where they are doing some innovation too for example.

Last edited:
The more these discussion go the more they go in circles and to sometimes a bit absurd levels.

In the same post you both stated that you think Sony has a very diverse portfolio and that essentially all they make is third person cinematic interactive adventures (which ignores a huge host of games they have published and is IMHO a very reductive way of describing the experience their games provide and how they enrich and diversify the console overall lineup... taking away the word interactive and thinking about movies aren’t they all or wel most of them third person cinematic adventures and thus all the same? Adventure + action + third person or Blade Runner == Indiana Jones ;)?).

We are indeed lucky that we have three quite creative and in their own way innovative platform holders. It sometimes seems that Sony cannot be seem as innovating ever as the “c’mon do not act as Sony is the only one innovating” gets repeated each and every time someone talks about some area (like VR) where they are doing some innovation too for example.

I didn't say that, I was quoting someone that said something like that. Point is, there's a certain similarity between Sony published games just as there is with Microsoft or Nintendo. I very much agree with that last bit of your post. The 3 platform holders do stuff differently. While it's not to the same degree that it was in the sixth generation when every console was unique and the X1 and PS4 are somewhat redundant, I think MS is getting better in that respect and I honestly believe their next offering won't just be a rebranded PS5.

KINDERFELD

Banned
Gamers will post walls of text on message boards and then decide with their wallets in a contradictory way.
This topic is pointless.

93xfan

Banned
The big thing for me is BC. On Xbox One, I can play games from so many different eras and past consoles

Soul Calibur 1 and 2,

Turok 1 and 2

Perfect Dark

SSX3

Sonic Adventure

Oblivion and Morrowind

Sony can’t even do PS1 BC well when they release it for $100

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For the record, I don't believe anyone who says they're done with Sony. Sony has not done a bad job by any means. The worst thing they did this generation was force people to pay for PS+ for online and that was done when all the outrage was directed towards MS. However, I can agree with those who say they are coasting and have become apathetic.

Nintendo is one company I done with until they can offer a near 4K gaming console that has BC with all previous generations. I love Mario and Zelda, but if those games look like shit on my 55inch OLED, I wont bother.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Yeah those countless third person action games are super unique gambles.....

When was the last time Sony did anything risky or pioneered something brand new? The only game I can think of is Dreams which will likely sink Media Molecule.
Playlink was a gamble, vr was a gamble

Ulysses 31

Nintendo is one company I done with until they can offer a near 4K gaming console that has BC with all previous generations. I love Mario and Zelda, but if those games look like shit on my 55inch OLED, I wont bother.

How could current Switch practically have BC support for WiiU/Wii discs? And why aren't you holding MS and Sony up to that all previous gen BC standard as well? :goog_unsure::goog_unsure::goog_unsure:

I don't know which 55"OLED you're using but on mine 720p-1080p still look good enough for me. So you're skipping all PS4 games that don't have Pro support as well? :goog_oops:

CJY

Banned
Few months ago it was the cross play issue. Now it’s this.

I’m as frustrated as anyone else when it comes to how Sony are playing their cards as this gen peters out. I was hoping for a vastly smoother transition to next gen.

I’m basically done with Sony too, my enthusiasm for PlayStation is at an all-time low, particularly with their execution of the Classic and their overall messaging since Andrew House left.

For me, MS and Sony are on equal footing as far as considering where my money goes next gen. Sony getting my money isn’t locked in like it has been for the past 4 generations of consoles, plus their handhelds. They are basically starting for square-1 with me, and I never thought I’d be saying anything like this.

I don’t even own an Xbox One or 360.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Few months ago it was the cross play issue. Now it’s this.

I’m as frustrated as anyone else when it comes to how Sony are playing their cards as this gen peters out. I was hoping for a vastly smoother transition to next gen.

I’m basically done with Sony too, my enthusiasm for PlayStation is at an all-time low, particularly with their execution of the Classic and their overall messaging since Andrew House left.

For me, MS and Sony are on equal footing as far as considering where my money goes next gen. Sony getting my money isn’t locked in like it has been for the past 4 generations of consoles, plus their handhelds. They are basically starting for square-1 with me, and I never thought I’d be saying anything like this.

I don’t even own an Xbox One or 360.

Considering everything they have done for PS4 and PSVR over the years, if their biggest problems / faults are handling of the crossplay controversy (which they copped out to, unlike their competition during the previous generation), the PS Classics (one product outside their core offering, not great, but did not kill anyone ;)... not worse than Kinect's handling this generation), and the a bit exaggerated censorship controversy (IMHO)... I would expect people to feel a lot more positive.

PS4 is a very desirable console to own and I am not sure they could have done much better with it. Still, I take it you are super mega disappointed. I just honestly do not understand the huge amount of frustration and how they seemingly lost the customer loyalty of someone who bought every single HW they have made for about 25 years. Could have they done more bullish PR and be even more present last year and could have they remained at E3? Perhaps, but their action were positive and speaking quite loudly. As a gamer 2018 was exceptional for PS4 too and 2019 has tons of titles on the horizon.

Still, not an attack or trying to tell you how to feel, just a bit puzzled that is all.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
How could current Switch practically have BC support for WiiU/Wii discs? And why aren't you holding MS and Sony up to that all previous gen BC standard as well? :goog_unsure::goog_unsure::goog_unsure:

I don't know which 55"OLED you're using but on mine 720p-1080p still look good enough for me. So you're skipping all PS4 games that don't have Pro support as well? :goog_oops:

Well, they could have expanded on Virtual Console instead of discontinuing it for example.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
omg

you seriously see forums as a place where one "camp" is constantly trolling other "camp" with some horse shit
nonsense ?

i see that not as a result of lol diversity
it is a result of people with attitiude like that
childish paranoid crazies trolling other "camp" trying to prove something or win something
but the only gain in that situation to have is fucking sorry ass sad state of this forum

also mods that just don't give a fuck :messenger_dizzy:

can't the extreme fans just stick to what they enjoy and "worship" it there?
leaving the rest to have normal discussions about stuff?
nothing wrong with fans being hyped or even overexcited about things
but i am sick and tired to see every sony, nd whatever thread infested with so much bs
and if the same is happening in xbox threads then the same apply
i just don't visit these threads so i wouldn't know

what's the end game of this fighting?
you want this to be xboxgaf?
how does it make for diverse forums
and more important how does it make fun friendly forum?

It’s funny how you got triggered by it, but gotta say I wasn’t surprised.

Diversity is good, cus then you can find other people that enjoy the same platform as you do. I don’t want Gaf to be xboxGAF, PCGAF etc, that goes against diversity.

Closer

Considering everything they have done for PS4 and PSVR over the years, if their biggest problems / faults are handling of the crossplay controversy (which they copped out to, unlike their competition during the previous generation), the PS Classics (one product outside their core offering, not great, but did not kill anyone ;)... not worse than Kinect's handling this generation), and the a bit exaggerated censorship controversy (IMHO)... I would expect people to feel a lot more positive.

PS4 is a very desirable console to own and I am not sure they could have done much better with it. Still, I take it you are super mega disappointed. I just honestly do not understand the huge amount of frustration and how they seemingly lost the customer loyalty of someone who bought every single HW they have made for about 25 years. Could have they done more bullish PR and be even more present last year and could have they remained at E3? Perhaps, but their action were positive and speaking quite loudly. As a gamer 2018 was exceptional for PS4 too and 2019 has tons of titles on the horizon.

Still, not an attack or trying to tell you how to feel, just a bit puzzled that is all.

Why are you comparing something that's gone with something that are here now?

They are upset with Sony now. They can be not upset with Sony later. It's not puzzling, it's really simple.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why are you comparing something that's gone with something that are here now?

They are upset with Sony now. They can be not upset with Sony later. It's not puzzling, it's really simple.

Sure and if they were posting in their own private diary I would not intrude their privacy. I am not even challenging them, just engaging in a conversation as honestly, I do not understand the huge huge disappointment and curiosity urged me to ask those questions/talk about it. I am not challenging a personal belief, ultimately it is their own.

Ulysses 31

Well, they could have expanded on Virtual Console instead of discontinuing it for example.
True, but the guy said nothing about VC though so I assume he wants to see all physical media from previous generations be usable on a Nintendo console and that's not reasonable with something the size of a Switch.

And yes Nintendo should work towards making all their games available via VC eventually... =(

Last edited:

Closer

Sure and if they were posting in their own private diary I would not intrude their privacy. I am not even challenging them, just engaging in a conversation as honestly, I do not understand the huge huge disappointment and curiosity urged me to ask those questions/talk about it. I am not challenging a personal belief, ultimately it is their own.

I see that you are trying to understand. I get that. But you are trying to sell them the console back, and that's actually challenging their belief. They bought the PS4 and think they got what they wanted, but they now think that Sony will not give them what they want from here on now. It's Sony's job to get them back.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I see that you are trying to understand. I get that. But you are trying to sell them the console back, and that's actually challenging their belief.

I am not trying to sell them the console back, but yes I am stating how I feel and comparing it to how he feels. While I am not trying to be aggressive and dismissive (I am not challenging his right to feel this way, just maybe a bit of the reasons why), I guess discussion forums do have a certain modicum of discussions amongst people that disagree and are not designed as safe spaces to shout anything in and leave. Not sure why I am spending so many words answering back on this, but you asked and I replied... I guess I like to chat ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
True, but the guy said nothing about VC though so I assume he wants to see all physical media from previous generations be usable on a Nintendo console and that's not reasonable with something the size of a Switch.

And yes Nintendo should work towards making all their games available via VC eventually... =(

I think it is unreasonable to expect disc compatibility outside of a very unlikely disc add-on for docked mode Switch console.
It would be reasonable to have GCN, Wii, and Wii U on VC though (ok, maybe not Wii U as there is no way now to emulate asynchronous co-op... maybe in the future you could use a second Switch as a Wii U controller streaming data from a docked Switch... feasible, but very very unlikely.

Unfortunately, about VC, they last thing they announced is that they were terminating the service and started drip feeding games through an additional service (Switch Online network subscription).

Closer

I am not trying to sell them the console back, but yes I am stating how I feel and comparing it to how he feels. While I am not trying to be aggressive and dismissive (I am not challenging his right to feel this way, just maybe a bit of the reasons why), I guess discussion forums do have a certain modicum of discussions amongst people that disagree and are not designed as safe spaces to shout anything in and leave. Not sure why I am spending so many words answering back on this, but you asked and I replied... I guess I like to chat ;).

I mean, I like to chat too, that's why I'm chatting with you right now. You were puzzled because you don't feel the way they feel about Sony, and that's fine, really. Sony got a lot of great games this year and past year too. But they are upset with Sony the company, not Sony the PS4.

Sony has the biggest game variety out there, claiming that their exclusives are "samey" is ignorance at its best. For starters, its the only console with VR, which is the technology with the biggest margin of improvement and innovation. As for type of games, we got stuff like:

- Astro Bot
- The Last Guardian
- Dreams
- Firewall
- Tetris Effect
- Gravity Rush
- Bloodborne
- Deraciné
- Concrete Genie

Besides, those japanese games from third party developers that don't release on other systems. It's funny that most people who hate on Sony don't even know these games exist or at least they pretend that we don't know.

A console system is sold for 2 main reasons: price and games. Prices are good and games are awesome.

Amazon and Google... LOL. My god, seriously. I guess all this hate on Sony is just the usual hating on the market leader.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony can’t even do PS1 BC well when they release it for $100

If that's all you care about why not pick up a used PS3?

Will likely cost you less, plays ps1 discs as well as digital issues, is a dvd/blu-ray player/smart TV box, has free online etc.

Playstation Classic was more a novelty than anything else, that its gotten so much coverage just tells me some people are just hungry to have something to bitch about.

Actually that sums up this thread quite nicely.

KRAai

It’s funny how you got triggered by it, but gotta say I wasn’t surprised.

Diversity is good, cus then you can find other people that enjoy the same platform as you do. I don’t want Gaf to be xboxGAF, PCGAF etc, that goes against diversity.

funny triggered not surprised
yeah fuck off
i am not in the mood to feed u now

diversity is good ? like really ? work on your reading skills
also good luck on your diversity when soon there will be only trolls left here

Last edited:

Traxtech

I've never been one to understand how people can boycott something for such an insignificant reason, but it's exactly that, i don't understand.

Is having such measures in place really that much of a turn off??

Then again, i'm Australian so half our games back in the day got censored in some form lol

Closer

If that's all you care about why not pick up a used PS3?

Will likely cost you less, plays ps1 discs as well as digital issues, is a dvd/blu-ray player/smart TV box, has free online etc.

Playstation Classic was more a novelty than anything else, that its gotten so much coverage just tells me some people are just hungry to have something to bitch about.

Actually that sums up this thread quite nicely.

He would need a PS4 and a PS3 to do what he said.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He would need a PS4 and a PS3 to do what he said.

Which would combined cost less than an One X.

One S is going to get you inferior performance on current-gen titles compared to base PS4 and as to the state of BC on it, I have no idea because nobody talks about it apparently.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

You’re making a lot of idiotic assumptions about me. First off my main reason for not supporting the Switch is that it is drastically underpowered and delivers visual quality that I find unacceptable for my TV. The X and Pro don’t have that problem.

In regards to older non-enhanced titles, pretty every I have pretty much played every non-Pro/X enhanced game I could want to play and I played most of those well before I got a Pro since I owned a PS4 on release date and an X1 one year after.

Also Nintendo’s biggest problem for me overall is the lack of software. Because of being underpowered there is absolutely no reason for me to ever consider Nintendo for 3rd party games. Right now the Switch has two games I want: Zelda and Mario. And we basically get one of each per Nintendo generation. They have stupidly abandoned Metroid Prime. Now I have said that if Nintendo were to port every 3D (non-side scroller) Mario and Zelda game over to the Switch I may buy it. If they do that and release a stronger powered Switch that can come close to 4K gaming (even 1440p) I will definitely buy it.

As it stands Nintendo has a long way to go before I consider them.

And yes 720p looks absolutely horrible on my Rtings calibrated B7 LG OLED.

Competition is a good thing. I'm sure a sizeable amount of PS4 owners will consider the next XBox in 2021/2022. Sony will be fine.

Ten_Fold

I guess I sorta agree with you OP, I think the only Sony exclusive I’ve brought was bloodborne, not a fan of god of war, an only other game I gotta check out is horizon. I guess I might become a PC/Switch player soon. Also I think this gen I didn’t buy many games compared to last gen.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
funny triggered not surprised
yeah fuck off
i am not in the mood to feed u now

diversity is good ? like really ? work on your reading skills
also good luck on your diversity when soon there will be only trolls left here

You aren’t helping your cause, you only show my statement is true.

I've always been on Sony's team. Well except when the Gamecube was released.

But since the PS4 success they've been stupid, lazy and uninspired AF.

Ulysses 31

Nintendo is one company I done with until they can offer a near 4K gaming console that has BC with all previous generations.
With statements like that, don't be surprised you get idiotic assumptions.

You completely ignore that Sony and MS don't have all previous gen BC either but you expect Nintendo to have it before even considering giving them one cent. This is a double standard of yours.

Last edited:

autoduelist

If the game industry (and journalists) would stop pretending games are for kids, and realize every other medium has plenty of adult themed content [most novels, R films, etc] alongside full on adult content - porn, romance novels, skin mags, etc and just embraced gaming as a full media, we'd all be better off. Its okay if God if war has exposed breasts, or some adult themed game like Detroit has nudity or explores themes of, say, racism.

In other words, why are we as a culture so backwards about games? They are pixels.

Last edited:

KRAai

You aren’t helping your cause, you only show my statement is true.

you replied to my post and and all you said is that i am triggered and it is not surprising to you
and started to write some shit that variety is good all of which has not much to do with my post
now this ?
what is my cause ?
you just keep proving to be fucking troll
and i don't really care
like i've said some time ago i won't lie it is sometimes fun to come here and play with trolls
but that's not really what i hoped to get from that forum
keep poking me though if that's what get you off

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
With statements like that, don't be surprised you get idiotic assumptions.

You completely ignore that Sony and MS don't have all previous gen BC either but you expect Nintendo to have it before even considering giving them one cent. This is a double standard of yours.
Yes. I do have different standards for different companies. I don't place as much of a premium on BC for MS and Sony because of the fact that both of those platforms have more than enough to offer on their current gen platforms for me to consider BC a deal breaker. As I stated in my previous post, Nintendo does simply not have enough to offer to me in terms of software or hardware for me to consider their purchase. That is unlikely to change as they simply don't have the resources of Son and MS. I stated that one way that Nintendo could get me on board would be to release a more powerful version of the Switch and re-release their older Mario and Zelda games as far back as the Gamecube era. They could be remasters or BC, I couldn't care which. That would give the Switch a huge library of exclusives. That Nintendo simply doesn't have.

In short, yes BC does mean much much more for Nintendo to me than BC does for Sony or MS.

Now, I will say that if the PS5 rolls around and Sony decides to not offer BC, then I will be seriously considering not buying it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom