• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, my dad wants to try videogames - what should i suggest him to play?

Batiman

Banned
Nier Automata. And leave the room, pls.
Just beat the game yesterday and found it so disappointing. I barely beat games I don’t really like but for some reason I stayed to the end with it so I guess I enjoyed it a bit. I thought I was going to love it and I’m honestly surprised it was so well received.

BigBooper

Nidhogg is a great game for two people. Very simple, but skillful.

If he's into Star Wars, why not KOTOR? If he likes action movies, try a Call of Duty game.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
SamanthaFoxStripPoker.jpg

Pantz

Only game I got my dad to play was Gran Turismo with a racing wheel.

If yours is actually asking to play then you could probably go for Grand Theft Auto.

Kagey K

Banned
58 years old.

My father is a rather curious fellow, he is always watching creative videos on youtube so he can "Macgyver" something as I like to call it.

When it comes to gaming he is more in a lighthearted phase I think. He doesn't want invest an enormous mount of time in it, it's something to chill.

If I had to guess the genres he clicks more with, I'd have to go with puzzle games and story driven ones. He also mentioned me strategic games.

Shooters are a no go. Everytime he sees me playing one he is like "don't you get tired of that?" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Recently I thought of Dreams. He can either play others people creations or if he likes it, create even his own. But I dont have the game, and since I haven't played it yet, I don't know if it's way to complex.
If he has a PC (even a potato of one) he should try some of the big fish games library. Sounds like they might be right up his alley. (Dont require much skill, more about thinking and solving puzzles.) My dad is way older then yours and has been hooked in those games for the last 10 years or so.

Last edited:
I've been trying to get my father into gaming for a very long time, but always without success, things just seem way to complex for him out of the blue, and he also doesn't invest some time to at least feel comfortable around videogames/controller layout.

Yesterday, he asked me if I had any videogame that he could play, because he wanted to play something. I'm calling it the Videogame Quarantine Effect.

The best thing I managed in the past was making him briefly experience some VR games and play Until Dawn on PS4, and coop with me on Switch's Snipperclips.

This time around I suggested him to try more classic and basic games on older systems, like Super Mario World on the SNES, but he didn't seem pumped enough.

Therefore, help me GAF, please. I wanted to find a solo game for him and also a coop game so we could both play together.

SpottedDamagedInganue-small.gif

Systems I own: SNES, Sega Saturn, Mega Drive, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, PS4 (with PSVR), Switch, PC.

Thanks a million.
iPhone / iPad an option?

Walledhouse

My father is a rather curious fellow, he is always watching creative videos on youtube so he can "Macgyver" something as I like to call it.

If I had to guess the genres he clicks more with, I'd have to go with puzzle games and story driven ones. He also mentioned me strategic games.
Beseige! You build catapults and shit to solve puzzles; but they just give you a physics enabled toolbox to make whatever can solve the problem.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I can tell you from experience, avoid anything with dual-stick controls. It's second nature to any of us who have learned it, but it's a kick in the teeth for beginners, even on a game they would otherwise love.

Something cooperative would be nice, provided it doesn't talk down to him (i.e. no Lego). Diablo 3 on any platform might be a good option if he's a fantasy guy. If he likes Marvel stuff, Ultimate Alliance 3 is fun in coop on Switch, but the story skews a little younger. If you think he might like co-op platforming, Nintendo has a lot of options for that.

Is he a make your own fun kind of guy or would he be more into a setpiece-action adventure? Or, as some people have mentioned, would he like a Telltale-style adventure game? Lots of IPs to choose from there.

DelireMan7

Difficult to mention something to introduce someone to videogames, when it's kind of a "second nature" for us.

Don't know why but I think strategy game can do the trick because it's usually something you can take your time with and controls are not a problem.
Of course the "rules" are often complex.

Civilization 3 comes to my mind (but might be intimated for new comer)

Also Transport Tycoon Deluxe (Free open source here) is coming to my mind.

For coop games : I don't know. From what I've played, can't see something beginners friendly. Maybe Portal but FPS (especially on console might not be the best for beginners)
On Megadrive, you can try ToeJam & Earl if you like the atmosphere. Pretty good time in coop.

EDIT : Also if he's into music, why not the old Guitar Hero

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Whatever you do, dont show him Catherine. This will be too much.

I’d go with Sekiro, or Metal Gear, maybe Zelda.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Virtua Tennis and House of the Dead for the Dreamcast

Mario Party for the N64

Do a walkthrough of Metal Gear Solid 3 with him playing and explaining him everything

Do the same with Last of Us

Nankatsu

IMO if you could share abbit more information about your dad's interest, we could probably make some suggestions which are more suited for him.
For example for a car guy it is much better to suggest car games like Forza or Gran Turismo.

Sure, here it goes:

Kamehameha's dad profile:

ER9JZ_6WkAAMano.jpg

Personality: Chill person, curious, mostly self-educated. Can be stubborn sometimes.

Hobbies: Building/creating stuff, cars (driving), electronics, traditional puzzles.

Movie history: Mostly sci-fi and mystery stuff. Likes some marvel / DC movies, but can be picky with some.

Gaming history: Pretty much zero. The most I managed was having him play Until Dawn to the end with me, and coop from start to finish on Snipperclips. Soccer games seem to be a no bet (been trying to get them into those since I was a kid and never managed)

Asked for a gaming genre and he answered: "Maybe strategic, perhaps?"

Possible barriers: Language - he is no english expert, so if I'm going for story driven games it needs to have portuguese/brazilian subs at least. Games with complex control schemes are something to avoid to if possible. He doesn't feel to comfortable with a controller on his hand...yet.

Do you guys know of any game similar to Time Crisis or Virtua cop, for the PSVR?

Did he ever played Tetris before?

Yes, I even tried to get him to play Tetris 99.

iPhone / iPad an option?

Nop, don't have either.

Only game I got my dad to play was Gran Turismo with a racing wheel.

If yours is actually asking to play then you could probably go for Grand Theft Auto.

Well, I do have a steering wheel, not the greatest but still...

Beseige! You build catapults and shit to solve puzzles; but they just give you a physics enabled toolbox to make whatever can solve the problem.

This one sounds dope. Gonna had it to the list.

Last edited:

edbrat

I've been trying to get my father into gaming for a very long time, but always without success, things just seem way to complex for him out of the blue, and he also doesn't invest some time to at least feel comfortable around videogames/controller layout.

Yesterday, he asked me if I had any videogame that he could play, because he wanted to play something. I'm calling it the Videogame Quarantine Effect.

The best thing I managed in the past was making him briefly experience some VR games and play Until Dawn on PS4, and coop with me on Switch's Snipperclips.

This time around I suggested him to try more classic and basic games on older systems, like Super Mario World on the SNES, but he didn't seem pumped enough.

Think about what he enjoys anyway, does he like puzzles (Picross, Sudoku games, brain training)? Does he like board games, there are some great digital versions around of Carcassone, Trivial Pursuit? Does he play a card or gambling game? Finding similar type experiences electronically could ease him into using a different device and if he's say a daily puzzle or crossword guy maybe there's a way of scratching that itch electronically.

Is he into trains or planes and might enjoy a sim type experience? Is he a planner or builder maybe Kerbal, Sim City, Tropico, Civ? Is he into a certain period of history? Using games to enhance one of his existing interests will probably make this easy and enjoyable for both of you.

RaZoR No1

He should try Forza (7 and Horizon 3 and 4 are available on PC, too)
Even better if one of his own cars should be available in the car lists.
Forza has a very low entry difficulty and if he likes it and want more challenging gameplay, later he can turn up the difficulty. Very good and easy to play with a controller.
Portal 2 should be a good game for him, too.
Additionaly Spiderman / God of War and Batman games should fit his interests, too.
If possible, stick to one console as much as possible, because he problably needs to check which button is where etc. Sticking to one console/controller will help to remember it.

Matsuchezz

Limbo and inside are pretty good games and those are fairly easy. What remains of edith finch would be another one that could probably a good suit for him and requires no skill whatsoever.

Humdinger

I've come up with the following list for him, mixing PSN Plus games + some of suggestions on this topic:

Baby-step games:
Super Mario World
Sonic Mania
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Journey

Coop:

Unravel 2
Yakuza 0 (the mini-games only - baby steps)
Broforce
Enter The Gungeon
Guacamele
Overcooked

Solo games:
David Cage's trio - Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit
Ratchet & Clank
Portal
What Remains of Edith Finch

Does anybody know if there's anything like Snipperclips out there too?

Driving games I can't think of any to be honest...was thinking of Dirt 2.0, but shit, that game even for me is hard af.

PS: forgot to tell, but my father does not understand english very well.

I'd avoid Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. It's pretty, but it's not much of a videogame, and I think you want him to get a sense of videogames more broadly, not a niche subgenre ("walking sim"). The game also has issues (e.g., slow movement, confusing navigation). The same sort of goes for Edith Finch.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain back in the day, but it doesn't stand up well over time, unfortunately. I didn't think Beyond was very good, but that's just my opinion. Detroit would be my choice.

Uncharted it will remind him of Indiana Jones. It's simple as an amazing story and puzzles which he'll enjoy

Yeah, I think it's worth considering Uncharted. Uncharted 2 is one of the best action-adventure games out there. It's got a great story, lots of action, enjoyable characters/dialog, and even some puzzles. As Batiman mentioned, he can always play on easy mode.

Hobbies: Building/creating stuff, cars (driving), electronics, traditional puzzles.

If one of his hobbies is cars/driving, have you considered an arcade racer -- something like Mario Kart or Burnout 3? Those are very easy, fun, pick up and play titles. I'd avoid the sim-type driving games (GT, Forza, etc.). He can move up to those later if he likes, but they are complicated and finicky. Arcade racers, on the other hand, are designed to be pick up and play, appealing to all types of gamers, including beginners. That's probably a better place to start.

Gaming history:
Pretty much zero. The most I managed was having him play Until Dawn to the end with me, and coop from start to finish on Snipperclips.

Ah, I was going to suggest Until Dawn...

Possible barriers:
Language - he is no english expert, so if I'm going for story driven games it needs to have portuguese/brazilian subs at least.

Oh, okay. Well, that might rule out Uncharted, then. I'm not sure if it has that type of subtitles or not.

Last edited:

Iamborghini

I would say, Uncharted 4, because there is a good tutorial at the begining, and plus your dad seems to like puzzle so why not.

1462807289-2712-jaquette-avant.jpg

Nankatsu

Oh, okay. Well, that might rule out Uncharted, then. I'm not sure if it has that type of subtitles or not.

Not exactly, Uncharted games have portuguese dub even.

I just think that he may not be comfortable with shooting mechanics, but then again, nothing like making him try.

I got all 4 Uncharted's thanks to PS Plus so...

giphy.gif

EDIT: First game choose by him: Unravel 2.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Not exactly, Uncharted games have portuguese dub even.

I just think that he may not be comfortable with shooting mechanics, but then again, nothing like making him try.

I got all 4 Uncharted's thanks to PS Plus so...

Ah, that's good it has the subtitles. If you put it on Easy, that will make the shooting much easier. If he can get just a little sense of being an action hero, he might like that. I know you said he didn't seem interested in shooters, but it can feel different when you are the one playing the game, rather than watching someone else play. Plus, there's plenty of other stuff to do in Uncharted, such as climbing and puzzle solving.

Did you know Sony is giving away Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (the Bluepoint remastered one) and Journey for free right now? Jump on it, if you don't already have these games.

I'd really suggest Uncharted 2, rather than Uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 is generally seen as one of the weakest of the bunch. It became too much of a family drama and lost the lighthearted fun style of the earlier games. The remastered version of Uncharted 2 is really good. Heck, I'd go with Uncharted 1 or 3 over 4. Up to you, though...

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Ppl recommending all these kids games like..... Uncharted, ect.....lol

Get him a real dad game like Combat Mission II: Barbarossa to Berlin.

Pansy

On a serious note, some of my favorites are The House of the Dead 2 for Dreamcast and The House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return for the Wii. Some of the Resident Evil games are also fun depending on what systems you're working with. I also second Uncharted.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ppl recommending all these kids games like..... Uncharted, ect.....lol

Get him a real dad game like Combat Mission II: Barbarossa to Berlin.

Fucking based.

My dad likes games like Ghost Recon Wildlands and Gears of War. Keep in mind that dads love guns and military shit. I don't think this stuff is that hard to pick up.

Top Bottom