• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, my dad wants to try videogames - what should i suggest him to play?

Nankatsu

I've been trying to get my father into gaming for a very long time, but always without success, things just seem way to complex for him out of the blue, and he also doesn't invest some time to at least feel comfortable around videogames/controller layout.

Yesterday, he asked me if I had any videogame that he could play, because he wanted to play something. I'm calling it the Videogame Quarantine Effect.

The best thing I managed in the past was making him briefly experience some VR games and play Until Dawn on PS4, and coop with me on Switch's Snipperclips.

This time around I suggested him to try more classic and basic games on older systems, like Super Mario World on the SNES, but he didn't seem pumped enough.

Therefore, help me GAF, please. I wanted to find a solo game for him and also a coop game so we could both play together.

SpottedDamagedInganue-small.gif

Systems I own: SNES, Sega Saturn, Mega Drive, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, PS4 (with PSVR), Switch, PC.

Thanks a million.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sonys games are quite good for beginners, as they carry you a lot and some play themselves most of the time.

(I am actually dead serious. Remember the guy isn't actually young)

Karamina

Neo Member
same situation here, I introduced my non-gamer sister in video games with Pheonix Right Trilogy, Detroit Become Human and Overcooked 2 during the quarantine, and she liked everything

I think the best way to introduce video games to a non-gamer is to play local cooperative games with no skill required and immediately fun.

brian0057

Banned
For the solo experience? I'd recommend Breath of the Wild. The amount of freedom and possibilities it provides coupled with its simple mechanics make it an incredibly accesible game for non-gamers.

For co-op? CONTRA.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I always used to like Sonic for this because the controls can't get any simpler (move and jump) and everyone seems to like the character, or at least recognize him and is willing to see what all the fuss is about.

Bizarrely, my own dad couldn't even play Sonic, he would just hold right on the d-pad and jump until he died (he would not stop holding right for anything, even holes or obstacles) but his gateway game turned out to be the PC version of Halo. He already knew how to aim a mouse, likes shooting virtual guns like any other self-respecting man, and was surprisingly fine with WASD.

Maybe your dad should try Doom, LOL.

Geki-D

Banned
Sonys games are quite good for beginners, as they carry you a lot and some play themselves most of the time.

(I am actually dead serious. Remember the guy isn't actually young)
Literally can't help yourself from console warring, utterly pathetic. How you haven't been banned yet is beyond me. Yeah sure OP, ask your dad to pull of combos & counters in God of War or stealth and dodge insta deaths in The Last of Us :pie_eyeroll:

Anyway, for any non gamers I've encountered their biggest difficulty tends to be getting their heads around 3D movement with dual analogues. In That regard sider scrollers work best but I also had some decent success with VR. If your dad can handle the fear, RE7 worked well in my case. The big advantage is that only directional movement is done with the analogue whilst looking around is done with head movement like in real life so it's way more natural. I was blown away by how well people who pretty much never played games before did with it. Though another issue with that was they can't see the pad so when the game asks to press a button they don't know what it is.

Saber

Gold Member
Did you actually ask your dads preference? Maybe his movie preferences may help you with this.

Anyway, might as well suggest the games that could bring some sort of Nostalgia.

Sonic Mania is an excellent game and it comes with a 1 vs 1 mode. Wonderboy Monster Trap is also an iconic game that brings nostalgic feelings.

You can also suggest FPS games. Maybe those cheesy Call of Duty games? It's hard for people ignore chessy shoting games.

A racing game is also a good thing if he is into cars and stuff. Maybe Gran Turismo? I'm sincerelly just blindly suggesting this one because I don't have much of interest.

He also may like Ape Escape, although I'm not entirelly sure he would get used to the controls.

Now some suggestions for your other consoles:

Mega Drive - Street of the Rage(co-op), Golden Axe(co-op), Mickey Mania(plataformer, single)
Snes - Great Circus starring Mickey(co-op)
PS1 - Ape Escape(watch out for the different controls)
PS2 - Dragonball Budokai Tenkaichi 2(fighting with kind simplistic control scheme), Naruto Ninja Storm(same as DBT)
Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure(plataformer, single but kinda missable and glitchy)
N64 - Star Fox 64(sidescroller, amazing learning curves), Diddy Kong Racing(splitscreen), Space Station Sillicon Valley(amazing plataformer)

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

We need to know his preferences first, otherwise it'll all just be shots in the dark.

Personally, assuming he has never played games before, i'd say something with simple mechanics that don't require too much hand-eye cordination are the best choice. Also, avoid 3D games with lots of mouse-joystick camera movement, i notice that tends to confuse total first timers (or people who only ever played old games).

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Breath of the Wild or Metal Gear Solid are games that I am 100% sure he would quit in a blink of an eye.

I've tried to introduce him to controller layouts many times (more emphasis on PS4) and as soon as I start with left trigger, right trigger, his complication meter goes throw the roof :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I thought of Cuphead , but then I remembered it's insanely hard.

Anyway, for any non gamers I've encountered their biggest difficulty tends to be getting their heads around 3D movement with dual analogues.

In his case I think it's the same too.

Saber

Gold Member
Breath of the Wild or Metal Gear Solid are games that I am 100% sure he would quit in a blink of an eye.

I've tried to introduce him to controller layouts many times (more emphasis on PS4) and as soon as I start with left trigger, right trigger, his complication meter goes throw the roof :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I thought of Cuphead , but then I remembered it's insanely hard.

Dude, whoever suggest games like BoW are either trolling or out their damn minds.

Small steps dude. Start with simplistic games, then move to more complex ones.

Maybe after some thinking, maybe you really should start with Mega Drive. They are limited to 2D, so the process would be easier.

Humdinger

It's hard to know, without knowing more about your father's personality and preferences. Is he a lighthearted guy who just wants to have fun? Is he a serious guy looking for something substantial? How much time does he have to invest in this? Is he put off by violence? Is he interested in stuff like story and characters, or is he more interested in shooting and blowing shit up? Does he like exploring and adventuring, or is he more likely to enjoy racing or competitive sports? People are so different, it's hard to generalize.

Whatever the game, I'd suggest choosing one with a simple control scheme -- i.e, a game that uses only a few buttons, rather than the whole arsenal. I think unfamiliarity/awkwardness with a controller is the main hurdle for new gamers. We've forgotten this, because we've been at it for so long, but there is a period of learning before you achieve that unconscious, muscle-memory level of familiarity with a controller. Until he gets to that point, he's going to struggle and not particularly enjoy the experience. That's especially true if the control scheme is complicated. So I'd keep that simple.

Good luck. I think it's cool that he's open to the idea and that you are helping him.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Literally can't help yourself from console warring, utterly pathetic. How you haven't been banned yet is beyond me. Yeah sure OP, ask your dad to pull of combos & counters in God of War or stealth and dodge insta deaths in The Last of Us :pie_eyeroll:

Anyway, for any non gamers I've encountered their biggest difficulty tends to be getting their heads around 3D movement with dual analogues. In That regard sider scrollers work best but I also had some decent success with VR. If your dad can handle the fear, RE7 worked well in my case. The big advantage is that only directional movement is done with the analogue whilst looking around is done with head movement like in real life so it's way more natural. I was blown away by how well people who pretty much never played games before did with it. Though another issue with that was they can't see the pad so when the game asks to press a button they don't know what it is.

Feel free to report me so I can get banned.

The only one being utterly pathetic is you, automatically assume I am console warring because you see my profile name and don't give a shit about the content in my post.

My dad is a gamer (playing only WoW, but he played games like CS and UT before that game(Wow) sucked th life out of him), he's 54 and capable of playing games like Tomb Raider and such. Are you assuming OPs father is retarded since he shouldn't be able to crouch past a few enemies? Play God of War on easy, how crucial is it to do the right combos all the time?

Sony is massive because it cater to casual players wether you like it or not. If Sonys games were as difficult as Sekiro, even though some like it, there's no chance in hell Sony were that popular as they are today. Yes you can put up the difficulty, but their games can still be played at ease at the easier difficulties.

I doubt OPs dad is as dumb as you assume. Yes, not remembering which button to press can get you killed. That is a rule that applies to any kind of game.

If OPs dad wants to play first person shooters, there's no real logic making him learn how to play animal crossing.

So fuck off with your fanboy glasses and discuss the thread instead, thank you.

Edit: sorry for the bad attitude in my post, I'm just tired of shit like this. The guy even liked my post with "lol" like five seconds after I posted this, which just proves my point that he doesn't even read what I write.

Last edited:

llien

Metal gear solid and he will never quit gaming
xSBGsOb.jpg

Uh, guys I think I've tried it on... PS3 once.
A shooter? (feels awkward with console controller, I guess that makes me mouse-aiming-nazi)
What is so special about it?
#thisisnotbaitseriously

Nankatsu

How old is your father?

58 years old.

It's hard to know, without knowing more about your father's personality and preferences. Is he a lighthearted guy who just wants to have fun? Is he a serious guy looking for something substantial? How much time does he have to invest in this? Is he put off by violence? Is he interested in stuff like story and characters, or is he more interested in shooting and blowing shit up? Does he like exploring and adventuring, or is he more likely to enjoy racing or competitive sports? People are so different, it's hard to generalize.

Whatever the game, I'd suggest choosing one with a simple control scheme -- i.e, a game that uses only a few buttons, rather than the whole arsenal. I think unfamiliarity/awkwardness with a controller is the main hurdle for new gamers. We've forgotten this, because we've been at it for so long, but there is a period of learning before you achieve that unconscious, muscle-memory level of familiarity with a controller. Until he gets to that point, he's going to struggle and not particularly enjoy the experience. That's especially true if the control scheme is complicated. So I'd keep that simple.

Good luck. I think it's cool that he's open to the idea and that you are helping him.

My father is a rather curious fellow, he is always watching creative videos on youtube so he can "Macgyver" something as I like to call it.

When it comes to gaming he is more in a lighthearted phase I think. He doesn't want invest an enormous mount of time in it, it's something to chill.

If I had to guess the genres he clicks more with, I'd have to go with puzzle games and story driven ones. He also mentioned me strategic games.

Shooters are a no go. Everytime he sees me playing one he is like "don't you get tired of that?" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Recently I thought of Dreams. He can either play others people creations or if he likes it, create even his own. But I dont have the game, and since I haven't played it yet, I don't know if it's way to complex.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
The only one being utterly pathetic is you, automatically assume I am console warring because you see my profile name and don't give a shit about the content in my post.
I *know* you're console warring because it's pretty much all you do on GAF. The content of your post was just a cheap shot to call Sony games "casual", of course it's a completely stupid thing to say in the context of this thread. Now go away and stop derailing.

In his case I think it's the same too.
I assumed as much. Seems pretty common. If he likes puzzle games, and clearly knows how to use a PC, then maybe some point and click stuff would be good. Tales of Monkey Island remastered and the like. That way he's playing a game whilst using a skill (mouse control) he already knows. Otherwise Braid sounds like it could be cool. Can't think of many single analogue non shooters on modern consoles.
I thought of Dreams also. He can either play others people creations or if he likes it, create even his own. But I dont have the game, and since I haven't played it yet, I don't know if it's way to complex.
Yeah, the Dreams creation tools are only accessible when you know how to use the pad well. 3D space navigation is pretty complex in it so I wouldn't recommend that right off the bat.

Humdinger

My father is a rather curious fellow, he is always watching creative videos on youtube so he can "Macgyver" something as I like to call it.

When it comes to gaming he is more in a lighthearted phase I think. He doesn't want invest an enormous mount of time in it, it's something to chill.

If I had to guess the genres he clicks more with, I'd have to go with puzzle games and story driven ones. He also mentioned me strategic games.

Shooters are a no go. Everytime he sees me playing one he is like "don't you get tired of that?" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Recently I thought of Dreams. He can either play others people creations or if he likes it, create even his own. But I dont have the game, and since I haven't played it yet, I don't know if it's way to complex.

Ok, so a mechanical-engineering type mind, someone who likes to tinker, but who's also lighthearted, not looking for anything in-depth. Hmm. I'll have to ponder that. Nothing is coming to mind immediately except crafting-type games like Minecraft, but that might not be a good choice. Personally, I don't enjoy crafting games, so I haven't played many myself. Same for puzzle games.

Sorry I'm not much help. I'm 58 myself, and I'll tell you that the first game I enjoyed, and which is probably responsible for getting me into gaming 20 years ago, was Ratchet and Clank, fwiw. Fun, accessible, lighthearted, easy to pick up and play, likeable characters, etc.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
58 years old.

If I had to guess the genres he clicks more with, I'd have to go with puzzle games and story driven ones.
He also mentioned me strategic games.

OP from what you describe Ico and Shadow of the Colossus sound like a perfect fit for your dad. They combine a strong narrative (that doesn't really get in the way of gameplay),puzzles and they are both relatively short.

Rime and Journey could also be good choices.

The_Mike

I *know* you're console warring because it's pretty much all you do on GAF. The content of your post was just a cheap shot to call Sony games "casual", of course it's a completely stupid thing to say in the context of this thread. Now go away and stop derailing.

You overthink my posts too much. I'm only spreading joy and fun. Some people just makes it too easy.

I do share the opinions I post though.

Humdinger

One alternative would be to give him a set of, say, 5 to 7 titles to consider (maybe chosen from this thread), then have him research them himself and pick the one he's most drawn to. He can read about them or better yet watch gameplay vids on Youtube. He will get a sense of what appeals to him and what doesn't.

You just give him a list of suggestions to start with, then he researches and makes the choice himself. There are a few advantages to that approach, vs. picking a game and giving it to him. First is that he makes the decision himself, based on his own responses/inclinations. Second advantage is that you've narrowed the field, so he isn't going in blind. Third is that you don't have to worry about picking the "wrong" game and him not enjoying it.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

For the solo experience? I'd recommend Breath of the Wild. The amount of freedom and possibilities it provides coupled with its simple mechanics make it an incredibly accesible game for non-gamers.

For co-op? CONTRA.
For a split second I actually thought you were serious!

Guilty_AI

58 years old.

Not exactly lighthearted, but how about Kerbal Space Program?

brian0057

Banned
You're kidding, right? BotW has some of the unintuitive and most complex control systems of any major game. I played it for 55 hours and still felt like an idiot just doing basic stuff.
Proving my point exactly. You felt like an idiot for just doing "basic stuff" but I'm sure you've been gaming for years.
For someone who hasn't gamed at all, those "basic stuff" are enough to get them going. The most advanced stuff is entirely optional.
You can go through the entire game just by sticking to the most basic actions.
That's what makes Breath of the Wild great for non-gamers.
Dude, whoever suggest games like BoW are either trolling or out their damn minds.
See answer above.
For a split second I actually thought you were serious!
I am.
Instead, I'm baffled by those suggesting Metal Gear Solid.
Why don't you suggest them Dark Souls while you're at it? Get them to hate gaming much faster.
Everyone is going at this from the mindset of someone that has been playing games all of their lives.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Shooter games always click with dads especially if hes above 50-60. Mine likes playing the sniper games, Sniper Elite, Ghost Warrior, etc. as well as Call of Duty games singleplayer. Doesnt care about the story just shooting stuff. I don't recommend any rpgs/complex stuff if he never played games before. They'll get bored.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Something with a fixed camera. Learning to operate two sticks at once is complex for lots of beginner gamers. That's why Animal Crossing doesnt have a dynamic camera.

I remember first playing Mario 64 after almost 10 years of hardcore gaming. I had to practice for several days or longer to get him to run in a straight line on narrow paths. And that was just one stick.

You have to put yourself in the mindset of a beginner.

Clarissa

Banned
Get him something with a single player campaign with a great story where the difficulty is adjustable. I'm thinking one of the call of duty games (not the best example of great story lol but it's entertaining). Also does he like sport?

Last edited:

Kolumbo

Banned
Get your dad something easy and something that isn't too complex like rpg's.
I'd say maybe Talos Principle, Portal, I think older people would enjoy these puzzle games.
Maybe later some platformer perhaps.

Top Bottom