• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, my dad wants to try videogames - what should i suggest him to play?

Dis

Valiant Hearts - Non 3D, simple, good story, good ost!

(Dragon Age Origins has point and click mechanics but idk you can set the game to easy but ah that one is 3D, but insanely good)

anthraticus

Banned
My father is a rather curious fellow, he is always watching creative videos on youtube so he can "Macgyver" something as I like to call it.

If I had to guess the genres he clicks more with, I'd have to go with puzzle games and story driven ones. He also mentioned me strategic games.
Neo Scavenger & Disco Elysium.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
UboIabi.jpg

sneas78

Banned

iDGo9sX.jpg

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You overthink my posts too much. I'm only spreading joy and fun. Some people just makes it too easy.

I do share the opinions I post though.
You are right that he should start on PlayStation though.... if he started on Xbox he wouldn't be very impressed.

At least on PlayStation he can start on easy mode and eventually work his way up to Bloodborne, GOW, Nioh and all the other masterpieces.

Mokus

Probably driving would be the easiest to learn for him. Now, racing games might be to challenging, but driving around in GTA V without doing missions might be the ideal introduction in to gaming, because it's still can be very fun. At best he can do taxi fares if he wants some purpose (or maybe he interested to be a cop:messenger_winking:)

Then, later if he's interested enough, he can do missions to, and the game has auto-aim so he won't be discouraged for the lack of dexterity.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just let him feel like a young Italian stallion again with these games.

Also this one.

Shit, that would be hilarious to play with him :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Remember watching a videogamedunkey video about that game and it was fun (in a ridiculous kind of way) as hell.

I was digging up through my PSN PLus given games and there are actually some good choices in there too:

I've come up with the following list for him, mixing PSN Plus games + some of suggestions on this topic:

Baby-step games:
Super Mario World
Sonic Mania
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Journey

Coop:

Unravel 2
Yakuza 0 (the mini-games only - baby steps)
Broforce
Enter The Gungeon
Guacamele
Overcooked

Solo games:
David Cage's trio - Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit
Ratchet & Clank
Portal
What Remains of Edith Finch

Does anybody know if there's anything like Snipperclips out there too?

Driving games I can't think of any to be honest...was thinking of Dirt 2.0, but shit, that game even for me is hard af.

PS: forgot to tell, but my father does not understand english very well.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

58 years old.

My father is a rather curious fellow, he is always watching creative videos on youtube so he can "Macgyver" something as I like to call it.

When it comes to gaming he is more in a lighthearted phase I think. He doesn't want invest an enormous mount of time in it, it's something to chill.

If I had to guess the genres he clicks more with, I'd have to go with puzzle games and story driven ones. He also mentioned me strategic games.

Shooters are a no go. Everytime he sees me playing one he is like "don't you get tired of that?" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Recently I thought of Dreams. He can either play others people creations or if he likes it, create even his own. But I dont have the game, and since I haven't played it yet, I don't know if it's way to complex.
Maybe something along the lines of Advance Wars, tactical RPG? Not so much twitch gameplay but plenty to get his mind working.
If the anime aspect would be off-putting for him, maybe X-Com or similar may be a better bet?
As I get older (48 now) I find myself gravitating more towards those sort of games, especially now my reflexes are shot ;)

Kadayi

Banned
I think the Xcom suggestion is good, though make sure he does the tutorial then starts fresh as that tutorial forces you to have to make some early bone-headed decisions regarding your base layout.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Uncharted it will remind him of Indiana Jones. It's simple as an amazing story and puzzles which he'll enjoy

zeorhymer

XCom if he's into strategy stuff like board games. Fallen Order if he like Star Wars. Actually, try the sports game the he likes.

Telltale games are great for beginners I think. Story focused but with some relatively easy interactivity.

The Walking Dead Season 1 is their best, so that.

Telltale games are not really video games lol. They're visual interactive novels with no mechanics and no challenge. What are you smoking ?

He might as well read an actual book or watch a fucking movie and get same effect.

Last edited:

Holgren

If he likes cars I recommend Forza. My dad spent 3 days straight playing the Forza 3 demo on the 360. Idk why the heck he was so hooked doing the same race over and over again but that was pretty much the only gaming thing that interested him.

Has anyone mentioned Striking Vipers? Since you have VR and all.

I would start off with simpler games, gauge where he is as far as reaction time and quick thinking, and progress to more complex games.

you can always play Striking Vipers if all else fails

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
How about Detroit? Story heavy game that doesn't require lightning reflexes. Shadow of the Colossus could work too. Valiant Hearts or Brothers would be interesting to try as well.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

IMO if you could share abbit more information about your dad's interest, we could probably make some suggestions which are more suited for him.
For example for a car guy it is much better to suggest car games like Forza or Gran Turismo.

spawn

If it was my dad I would suggest FPS and put it on easy mode. Call of Duty, Doom, or Battlefield

Jtibh

Banned
Easy.

Psvr

Astrobot

Blood and truth

Uncharted and god of war though would stick with uncharted 2. And only 2

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Start him near the beginning and have him graduate over time. Super Mario Bros or whatever the Switch equivalent is. Only D-Pad games to start. Then let him try out some twin stick shooters. Maybe something like Geometry Wars or maybe even Resogun. After that get him into some side scroller beat em ups. Final Fight, Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, something like that. You can throw in some puzzle games. Tetris, Puzzle fighter just to see if he likes those.

Also, he's gotta like sports...why not Golfing games or Madden, maybe Tennis hockey or Futbol.

When he ready to graduate to shooters report back. See you in 6 months.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
If your dad wants to find out what CoD games are about, let him play 'Duty Calls The Calm Before the Storm' first.

Batiman

Banned
Something simple like the uncharted or TLOU series. Anyone can play them if he puts them on an easier difficulty. Puzzles are not too complex. If he wants something more gameplay focused try MGSV. He can approach missions the way he wants. He’ll probably find the the little gameplay details cool. Or you could just let him button mash in a fighting game. Show him how gory MK11 is.

Top Bottom