• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf Needs to Attract to The Remaining 40% of Gamers...Women.

Lupingosei

Banned
Baby Water GIF

:messenger_squinting_tongue:
the thirst is real GIF by RealityTVGIFs

hemo memo

Gold Member
These reaction videos are some of the cringest stuff there is on YT.

People filming themselves and their fake reactions while watching something… How far have we come.
So far that we know have videos of people reacting to their own videos. Soon we will have people reacting to their own reaction.

geary

Gold Member
How about Gaf talks about the ful spectrum of games, not only the 10-15 games available only in one place. It's a gaming forum, not a publisher forum.

Lets see how civil we can be...​

This needed its own thread.

In 2021, women accounted for 45 percent of gamers in the United States, up from 41 percent of U.S. gamers identifying as women during the previous year.

UPDATE: For those who say the sourcs above only account for women on smartphones. Almost half of playstation gamer are women

ni0cHSW.png

Alot of the discussions we have on here about the pandering, the diversity, how characters are too sexy, how characters are too woke in gaming... All go out the window when we include women who simply dont care. Im not saying all of us on here are that way and im also not saying we shouldnt call out obvious marketing forced agendas

But we tend to self evangelize.

UPDATE: Based on the comment we still think:
  1. Women gamers arent real
  2. Women who react to games dont play games
  3. Women only play mobile games
  4. Women are causal gamers
  5. Women are not core gamers
  6. Women think Gaffers are incels. He said it, not me.

Edit: TITLE: Gaf Needs to Appeal* to The Remaining 40% of Gamers...Women.

You trade one audience for another. Try and fuse it, you get i.e. : Boys- COD: All Out Warfare, now fuse it - Girls- COD: AOW with pink guns and matching shoes and rewritten history.

Actually this did need a separate discussion.

A few of us were quick to use these same women gamer reactions of project eve when we have femboys in our mist saying female character cant be "too sexy".
What exactly is the correlation between the “few of you,” femboys, and the need to appeal to women?

Ill intentionally indulge the trolling, makes my teeth white.

You clowned yourself here to prove a point that isnt valid.

I found said community prior but refrained the post as to limit the chances of someone moving the goal post and name call a male knitter or question one sexuality.

Also the difference here is a knitting forum community would welcome men.

Also, there are more women playing video games than there are men knitting. This still proves my point that game discussions is not one gender sided.

WOW.

Let me break this down for you. You bitch and complain how there aren't enough women on Gaf. It's an odd thing to gripe about because video games is a male dominated hobby. My first comment was how it's funny to imagine a female on a knitting forum making a post about how the forum needs more men because knitting is a female dominated hobby.

I was simply pointing out how absurd you look, and now you're making it worse! Dude, for your own sake, just stop posting and go join that super progressive male welcoming knitting forum!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How soon until we have to make AI robots fit in? Gender makes no sense gamer crowds should be going after specific game fans, gamers who really know games and many gamers all around.

A.Romero

GAF does not need to appeal to anyone. This is a community, it's members define the content. I'd hate it if we had to think about appealing to any particular demographic when creating a thread or posting something.

Everyone is welcome to join but nobody should be seek.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

In 2021, women accounted for 45 percent of gamers in the United States, up from 41 percent of U.S. gamers identifying as women during the previous year.

UPDATE: For those who say the sourcs above only account for women on smartphones. Almost half of playstation gamer are women

ni0cHSW.png

Alot of the discussions we have on here about the pandering, the diversity, how characters are too sexy, how characters are too woke in gaming... All go out the window when we include women who simply dont care. Im not saying all of us on here are that way and im also not saying we shouldnt call out obvious marketing forced agendas

You do realize that its strange, creepy little guys like you that push women from discussing, right? No sane person gives a flying fuck what is in someone's pants here, we just talk about games and other pop culture shit. You come across as very, very desperate.

Focus less on someone's immutable characteristics and the content of their character. Otherwise Twitter may be a better fit for someone like you.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Never though of gaf as unwelcoming to women.. only the insane human variaty - men AND women.

JumpMan1981

Banned
Where does the idea that almost half of PlayStation players are women come from?

When PS4 launched I worked in a toy store that sold consoles. The vast majority of people who were buying one for themselves are dudes. Most women and men in there would be buying one for their kids.

Similarly I don't know any women who own a console but a lot of my male friends do. My wife does have an account on my PS but she almost never plays.

I guess if my own circle is almost all male PS owners, even down to nieces and nephews, then there most be a lot of places where only women are buying PlayStations to balance it up.

Even gaming events I have been to and launch events have been almost all dudes.

Not saying girl gamers aren't real, of course not. I don't trust some of these claims though.

If a mother buys a PS4 for her 2 sons at Xmas does that count as a female PlayStation owner?

cm osi

you need to name 10 videogames characters to register here, that's why there aren't many women around

you don't know that, OP?

Velius

Banned
What we need is for people to shut the fuck up about whatever perceived wrong in demographic distribution and focus on 1) pressuring companies to make good games, and 2) judging posts and people based on the content of the post/character, not what gender they are.

And if women gamers are drawn to that, which there's no reason to think they won't, they will come here. Maybe they already are. Maybe not. But when we start saying "Oh, we need to draw X here," no you don't. Are we gamers or fat shareholders?

Banned
  1. Women are causal gamers
  2. Women are not core gamers

most likely the same people that only play stuff like Uncharted and The Last of Us and think these are games made for core gamers, while being the most easy to digest mass market casual fodder.

meanwhile Minecraft has more depth than most mainstream AAA games out there

Last edited:

chriskun

These reaction videos are some of the cringest stuff there is on YT.

People filming themselves and their fake reactions while watching something… How far have we come.
I like how the OP is using these videos as evidence. I wonder what percentage of the subscribers to those channels are men lol

Emedan

This is truly garbage statistics. I mean this is something we could all refute just from anecdotal evidence alone seeing how half of all people among us are women. In 30 years I've personally known no women whos as invested in video games as any of my male friends or I am. I do not count playing The Sims occasionally. I've met just as many women as men in my life and no a single one of them ever owned a console. There's no selection bias here either, I went to an IT Gymnasium for gods sake and the (few) women there didn't even play games, all the men did however.

Really think about your girlfriends, sisters, female classmates..

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I've met just as many women as men in my life and no a single one of them ever owned a console. There's no selection bias here either, I went to an IT Gymnasium for gods sake and the (few) women there didn't even play games, all the men did however.
You must live in a very strange place.

I've been to games schools, where I'd say the relation is about 60-70% male.
My girlfriend studied IT and at her university there were about 70% men.

So, definitely not 50/50, but what you wrote there sounds like some horrible backwater swamp left behind by the times to me.

Emedan

You must live in a very strange place.

I've been to games schools, where I'd say the relation is about 60-70% male.
My girlfriend studied IT and at her university there were about 70% men.

So, definitely not 50/50, but what you wrote there sounds like some horrible backwater swamp left behind by the times to me.

Yeah, Sweden - the backwater swamp of IT and equality.

Even with your numbers, 70% male on the extreme of having chosen to go to such a school, how would those numbers be in another non IT/Game focused school? Don't really see how the numbers help your argument.

manzo

This is truly garbage statistics. I mean this is something we could all refute just from anecdotal evidence alone seeing how half of all people among us are women. In 30 years I've personally known no women whos as invested in video games as any of my male friends or I am. I do not count playing The Sims occasionally. I've met just as many women as men in my life and no a single one of them ever owned a console. There's no selection bias here either, I went to an IT Gymnasium for gods sake and the (few) women there didn't even play games, all the men did however.

Really think about your girlfriends, sisters, female classmates..
Can vouch to this. Finland here. As with any Nordic country, we are the world’s most egalitarian countries with a true equality of opportunity. The interest just is not there if you think about “traditional gaming”. All the women I know who actually play videogames, it’s on the level of Sims or match 3 phone stuff. You have the odd Clash of Clans or Minecraft players.

I personally know women from Remedy, Supercell (and a couple of other mobile game devs) and Unity’s Finnish subsidiary. The ones at Remedy and Unity don’t play at all, the mobile people plays mobile games. But anecdotal evidence of course.

The point is, you don’t need to attract/pander to any sex. The people who are interested will come with the product. Who gives a shit what’s between the legs? Play the games you want to and talk to the community that comes with it. If the reason for this thread was a secret “I want more girls to play so I can get a gamer girlfriend”, then maybe put up a good Tinder profile or search elsewhere. Why otherwise you would give a shit what gender the other players are?

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
how would those numbers be in another non IT/Game focused school? Don't really see how the numbers help your argument.
You were claiming there was no selection bias, when clearly there was.

You didn't meet a single woman who owned a console? I mean, come on, that's absurd.
Or you have only been meeting women outside of your hobby. Which is possible, of course, although I don't see why anyone would do that - but maybe that's just me who has no interest in engaging with people outside of my own spheres of interest and friends.
If I think back to girlfriends, female friends, etc. the majority owned consoles or used their PCs for gaming. Obviously I've been meeting mostly gamers, but that's the group we're talking about here, isn't it?

Nobody claims that most women are gamers.
But anyone who claims there are no women in gaming beyond something like Sims, etc. just needs to get out more.

The only thing I have never personally met is a woman that would be into games like HoI4 or EU4 - interestingly quite a few female Stellaris players, though...

Can vouch to this. Finland here.
Can vouch for the opposite. Also Finland here - and Germany.
Therefore, obviously you guys just know the wrong people :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

kyussman

The forum is what it is........that's fine.It's actually nice to have a place where I can make a stupid tongue in cheek sexist joke and have people laugh at it rather than get upset.....because you guys understand it's a joke.
God forbid men have a place where they can act like men in 2021......of course,if you are a woke 20 something US manlet then you may find this offensive,lol.

Emedan

You were claiming there was no selection bias, when clearly there was.

You didn't meet a single woman who owned a console? I mean, come on, that's absurd.
Or you have only been meeting women outside of your hobby. Which is possible, of course, although I don't see why anyone would do that - but maybe that's just me who has no interest in engaging with people outside of my own spheres of interest and friends.
If I think back to girlfriends, female friends, etc. the majority owned consoles or used their PCs for gaming. Obviously I've been meeting mostly gamers, but that's the group we're talking about here, isn't it?

Nobody claims that most women are gamers.
But anyone who claims there are no women in gaming beyond something like Sims, etc. just needs to get out more.

The only thing I have never personally met is a woman that would be into games like HoI4 or EU4 - interestingly quite a few female Stellaris players, though...

Can vouch for the opposite. Also Finland here - and Germany.
Therefore, obviously you guys just know the wrong people :messenger_winking:
The bias was to an overrepresentation to women in gaming rather than not. And we're not talking about the gamers but the total of gamers in the sexes in general. Point is, theres no way in hell 40% of PS gamers are women. Look at an actual census.

Amiga

Thing I like about GAF is that interests are natural. hope it stays like that.

watered down size fits all content just ruins things. I have many identity differences with probably over 90% of GAF but I keep them to myself because they aren't relevant to the shared interest in gaming. I only bring them out occasionally when I think they are relevant.

These kind of topics/posts are why women avoid forums or being open about it.
It's like saying that all the catty celeb gossip is why men avoid knitting forums..

Women avoid gaming forums because most women have no interest in gaming. The tone of the forums is irrelevant. You could have a super-lame forum where there are no guy jokes and guess what ... it will still be 99% male. There will not be an influx of female posters.

It's like saying that all the catty celeb gossip is why men avoid knitting forums..

Women avoid gaming forums because most women have no interest in gaming. The tone of the forums is irrelevant. You could have a super-lame forum where there are no guy jokes and guess what ... it will still be 99% male. There will not be an influx of female posters.

That mentality is stupid. Women don't hate gaming or lack an interest. I've seen tons of examples where if you give her a controller or your mouse and keyboard and the game is enjoyable she'll spend hours more than me or other males on that game. The "interest" aspect is highly debatable. Its creeps like the guy above or most gaffers asking WHERE R MA WOMEN or WAMEN CANT PLAY LULZ the reason why they avoid gaming and thats a fact. It's cringe.

MastaKiiLA

ni0cHSW.png

The industry? Yes. More gamers means more games.

GAF? Eh... *looks around* good luck with that.

I dated a “Gamer Girl” once. She basically only played Kingdom Hearts, and would do so for hours on end, but then also complained if I played something for too long. She was also a total SJW. Always complaining about white men (despite only ever having dated white men), while constantly talking about the need to include girls/women more in everything, especially games. She also claimed to be pansexual, again despite only having had sex with men. She would constantly say pretty much every game I liked sucked and came up with some way to be offended by pretty much anything I said or did.

I put up with this for a while because I had low self esteem and thought I had to. But the most entertaining thing that ever happened in that brief relationship was one time she started to complain about Skullgirls, a game she didn’t even play of course. She was mad that they added two male characters to the game and she was going on about how sexist it was.

All I said was “that doesn’t seem very inclusive to me, especially considering one of the new characters is black.” I think I short-circuited something in her brain because she just started going on a literally incoherent rambling tirade and stormed off.

Now that was a sight to see. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying inclusivity is bad, but if it’s forced it’s just not going to work. People of various demographics need to be invested in said hobby/whatever in order to contribute to it in a meaningful way. Look at the FGC. It attracts people of various ethnic backgrounds, trans people, and even smelly Smash players. All these people are excited for their hobby of getting together to play fighting games and you can tell.

A lot of women don’t get excited for games like men do, and mostly play them as mobile distractions or a means to an end (*cough Twitch), which is fine, but they’re not the main demographic of people getting excited for Elden Ring, or Metroid, or more core game’s in general.

Top Bottom